Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1107 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout Legal Fallout
9. Bethesda bashing... Sep 12, 2009, 15:26 JohnBirshire

I think it's a legit complaint. If I saw a package labeled "Fallout trilogy" on the shelf, my first assumption would be that it includes Fallouts 1, 2 and 3.

Amen. People are jumping on Bethesda's case, without looking at all the facts. I recently saw "Fallout Trilogy" on store shelves as well, and immediately thought "Wow, that was quick", of course thinking it was 1, 2, and 3 bundled. After closer inspection I realized it was 1 and 2 bundled with Fallout Tactics. Please tell me that was NOT a marketing scheme trying to capitalize on the confusion and/or success of Fallout 3, please do.

As for people who say Fallout 3 was a disappointment, sucked in comparison, or as the earlier poster in this thread stated "If people play the first two Fallouts, they'll realize how disappointing FO3 was.", I call bullcrap. Don't get me wrong, I played Fallout before it was even released and was blown away. I literally played the little demo that came with a PC Gamer magazine for about 20 hours, and it didn't even have that much content, that is how mesmerized I was with it. I then proceeded to play Fallout 1 and 2 religiously. But to come out and flame Fallout 3 is asinine. It sold millions of more copies, made tens of millions of more dollars, was even REVIEWED HIGHER than Fallout 1 and 2, and brought much more fame and recognition to the Fallout series than it previously had. If you call that a failure, you are a moron. People who never even heard of Fallout 1 or 2 are going back and playing them because Fallout 3 caught their interest, so "hardcore elite fanbois" should be kissing Bethesda's ass, not flaming them.

The only thing I am worried about now is that this Interplay/Bethesda lawsuit, counter-suit, etc battle doesn't put a Fallout MMO in jeopardy, because such an MMO would awesome.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - UO: Stygian Abyss
2. I miss UO so much... Sep 8, 2009, 18:09 JohnBirshire

UO from 97 through 99 were probably the most memorable years in my lifelong gaming career. If I even began to explain why it would turn into a 100 page thesis.

New MMOs are somewhat entertaining, but ultimately sub-par to the feelings I had when playing UO back in the day. It is hard to explain, but when I was playing UO I literally felt like I was "living" in it.

Glad to see there is still a market for it however, it truly is a one of a kind game.

News Comments > No PC Section 8 Demo Plans
14. Don't worry guys! Sep 4, 2009, 20:51 JohnBirshire

I demo'ed the game on the 360 for you all, and it sucks. Your welcome!  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. That Champions Online review was... Sep 3, 2009, 02:13 JohnBirshire

absolutely terrible. Gave almost no insight whatsoever into the game, just some screenshots followed by a sentence or two for each. I think they were just rushing to be one of the first to review it in order to get site views, at the cost of any actual quality.

I especially like where they said "we can't recommend this game" then continued to give it an 80% rating.

GameVein...joke.

News Comments > Molyneux on Bullfrog Revivals
5. Would love another Syndicate... Aug 26, 2009, 04:13 JohnBirshire

The first was one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

The others would most likely be The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Privateer, Tie Fighter, and Ultima 7.

Syndicate 2 was terrible unfortunately.

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Facts
10. Terrible competitive multiplayer... Aug 26, 2009, 04:11 JohnBirshire

In every C&C game there was literally 1 strategy that almost every single player would use.

I remember watching a Tournament last year where every single player in the entire tournament was using the same faction and same units, it was embarrassing.

Stick to Starcraft, WC3, or wait until SC2.

News Comments > Serious Sam HD Trailer
13. Looking forward to this... Aug 15, 2009, 23:56 JohnBirshire

Serious Sam was an absolute joy to play. Serious Sam 2 seriously disappointed me, I'd much rather play the original with upgraded graphics. *although the originals graphics weren't bad*  

News Comments > Champions Online Subscription Plans
16. Lifetime plan is an unwise move... Aug 4, 2009, 13:19 JohnBirshire

I know people who have been playing Ultima Online and Everquest for 10 years straight and have paid over $1500+ to do so. Yes, you were right about it having "Bill Roper's name on it", because it is an asinine idea from a man full of them.  

News Comments > The Matrix Online Retrospective
4. The 3rd movie is what killed it... Jul 28, 2009, 01:18 JohnBirshire

And since the movie was so fucking bad, it left a sour taste in everyone's mouth, which probably killed a lot of interest in the game.

My thoughts as well. You can write a 50 page article about "What went wrong with Matrix Online", or you can summarize it in two words: Third Movie.

News Comments > On The Monkey Island SE Size Difference
9. The new graphics are great... Jul 16, 2009, 13:53 JohnBirshire

I disagree completely with people complaining about the new graphics, I think they are just complaining for the sake of it. You can press a button and instantaneously switch from the old to the new, and almost every single scene in the entire game is almost a perfect mirror image. Shut up and quit bitching.  

News Comments > WoW to be Banned in China?
2. Re: WoW to be Banned in China? Jul 16, 2009, 13:49 JohnBirshire

This is asinine. The Chinese are playing 100s of Asian MMOs, but an American one is banned. What a bunch of hypocrites. They'd be throwing a fit if Americans started banning all Chinese products.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Secret of Monkey Island: SE
31. 19 years since Jul 16, 2009, 03:25 JohnBirshire

For many of us it's been 16 to 19 years since we played the Monkey Island games.

Exactly. I had fond memories of playing old adventure classics such as Secret of Monkey Island, Loom, King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, etc as a kid. Although I've always wanted to get around to going back and replaying them, I haven't gotten to all of them. Remastered additions such as this one are an excellent way to reminiscence, it is fun realizing that you remember solutions from almost 20 years ago when you're playing today. Being able to instantaneously switch from the original to the new and back again with a quick button press is also great, I love seeing the old scenes again while playing the new version at the exact same time. My son is also having fun playing it, I would have never gotten him to play the original version, now this way he can see games I grew up playing. The few haters can flame all they want, but I hope this progression is continued and add a few more classics to their agenda. I'd love to see Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood!

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Secret of Monkey Island: SE Jul 15, 2009, 15:15 JohnBirshire

I downloaded the demo on XBox Live, played it for roughly 2 minutes, said to hell with the demo and downloaded the full game. It isn't very often when you quit the demo right away because they've already convinced you to buy the game. Once I walked down from the lookout tower and was standing on the peer with the moon shining and the wave sound effects, that was all I needed to see. They did a great job with this.  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Secret of Monkey Island: SE Jul 15, 2009, 14:01 JohnBirshire

Sweet, glad I didn't spend my XBox points on Battlefield 1943 last night after all, downloading this now.  

News Comments > AoC Expansion Reveal Next Month
2. They turned this game into... Jul 8, 2009, 01:40 JohnBirshire

They turned this game into another "items to win" game in the last couple "updates", therefore even further negating skill based PvP in the MMO market. Any thought I had of returning just went into the shitter.  

News Comments > WoW Mount Tweak Plans
2. Re: WoW Mount Tweak Plans Jun 12, 2009, 04:45 JohnBirshire

I'm not a huge fan of the 1.5 second mount speed whatsoever. I think the reason for doing it "to increase leveling speed, wtf?" makes no sense whatsoever. Just gives people an even greater opportunity to take off the second they see trouble coming on PvP servers.  

News Comments > AvP Trailer, Details
13. Looks promising... May 21, 2009, 00:16 JohnBirshire

AVP2 was a blast multiplayer, trying to get the drop on players while playing the Alien was some of the best stealth action I've yet to play in any game.

Off topic, I'll just pretend I didn't see someone in this thread actually complaining about being able to save your game at anytime. ?!?! And another one talking down Warcraft 2 and 3...WTF is going on?! Some Twilight Zone crap going on in this thread.

News Comments > Age of Conan Turns One
10. Re: Age of Conan Turns One May 19, 2009, 02:25 JohnBirshire

fireworks, a screenshot contest, and adding an additional character slot

If this game gets any more generic, it won't have nearly as many subscribers as they thought it...oh, wait, nevermind.

News Comments > Goodbye from 3D Realms
15. Scam May 9, 2009, 12:35 JohnBirshire

DNF was never going to come out. These individuals knew that years ago, but still wanted to have a job to come to everyday so they could continue to collect a paycheck. *so they kept the illusion alive* They all knew that eventually their funding would run dry and this day would come. We got conned, investors got conned out of millions...and nobody seems to be complaining. Good job 3D Realms, it worked!  

News Comments > AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAAlpa Demo
1. Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAAlpa Demo May 7, 2009, 20:59 JohnBirshire

Good publicity stunt. Nobody would be talking about this low budget POS game about base jumping if they didn't name it AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

1107 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo