Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1086 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardcore: Romero's Not Done With You
8. Re: Hardcore: Romero's Not Done With You Mar 3, 2011, 19:28 JohnBirshire

I am not done making hardcore games, Eurogamer.

Yes, you are.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Announced
3. Re: Saints Row: The Third Announced Mar 2, 2011, 22:19 JohnBirshire

The second was marvelous fun co-op, played through the entire game with a friend. The multiplayer versus modes left a bit to be desired however.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Feb 26, 2011, 10:42 JohnBirshire

Pippiwolf wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 06:38:
Yes, Arx fatalis, one of my alltime favorites

Hmmmm. I've been thinking about getting it for awhile as well. Perhaps now is a good excuse.

News Comments > Mortal Online Free Trials
4. Whoops, nevermind... Feb 24, 2011, 21:57 JohnBirshire

This game has no US servers, so not even going to try the trial. If you want to do business in a country with an MMO, you need to have servers in that country. *or very close* That goes for US games wanting to do business overseas and vice versa.  

News Comments > Mortal Online Free Trials
3. Re: Mortal Online Free Trials Feb 24, 2011, 16:54 JohnBirshire

Yes you are most definitely talking about Darkfall. A friend convinced me to give it a try. I created my character, he brought me to a "secret place", and said "Macro swimming against this wall 24 hours a day, and in a couple months you'll be ready to start training other skills".

I did it for 3 days, and said to hell with it. Darkfall was so close to being brilliant, yet some terrible decisions cost them dearly.

I might give Mortal Online a shot, didn't renew my DCUO subscription after the first month. *although I might*

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Trailer
32. Arena... Feb 24, 2011, 16:51 JohnBirshire

The first game, Elder Scrolls: Arena, is my favorite game of all time. I'm so proud that the series continues to this day with such enthusiasm.

My top 5:
Arena: Elder Scrolls
Ultima 7
Privateer
Master of Orion
Syndicate

News Comments > StarCraft II Bans
7. Re: StarCraft II Bans Feb 23, 2011, 22:13 JohnBirshire

I tried to get back into it by playing a couple games online last night, but it's just too fast. Everything literally looks like it is moving in super speed, like watching a movie in fast forward. This might be great for the 400 apm pros, but for some of the more casual players it takes away a lot of the enjoyment. If anything, at least ask players what game speed they want to play on.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 19, 2011, 02:20 JohnBirshire

OH. MY. GOD.

*gasp*

Snow? Fog? Commercial jet?

The INHUMANITY!!!

News Comments > Quote of the Day
10. Re: Quote of the Day Feb 19, 2011, 01:54 JohnBirshire

Books are not the right medium to tell stories. Books are more about story possibilities. You know, like Choose Your Own Adventure books.  

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer
12. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer Feb 16, 2011, 20:32 JohnBirshire

I've read 100s of fantasy novels, but just couldn't get into Game of Thrones, despite several attempts. Read 100 pages, nothing happened, gave up. Picked it up a few months later, read another 100 pages, nothing happened, gave up. Picked it up a year later, read 100 pages, oh cool they threw a kid out a window that was neat, read 100 more pages, nothing else happened, threw it away. Epic...bore.

News Comments > Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings
10. Re: Warhammer 40K Ultramarines Free Screenings Feb 14, 2011, 19:49 JohnBirshire

I'm pretty hardcore into Warhammer 40k, have read almost every novel and played every game. *I haven't played tabletop, but I've read all of the source books and have watched others play*

That being said, this movie was rather "meh", both in terms of story and animation. I was hoping it would be great so I could have some people I know watch it and try to convert them...but that won't be happening.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 9, 2011, 17:11 JohnBirshire

If it makes you feel any better I agree with you on the majority of your reviews. You are probably the most consistant game industry critic around. I'm surprised you haven't received offers of employment yet from some of the industry leaders. Or have you?  

News Comments > DC Universe Online Price Break
12. Re: I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 16:59 JohnBirshire

Uh...WoW had a lot to do when it first came out.

Simply not true.

You could level to 60, and do some trade skills. That's it. I was so bored I quit after 2 months. Arenas, nope. Battlegrounds, nope. Armor sets, nope. Raids, nope. Yes I've gone back to WoW, years after release when it finally had a lot of endgame content. But at release? Simply no.

If you want to flame a game for lack of content at release, that is legitimately fine. If you want to flame a game for lack of content at release while simultaneously mentioning WoW's release, that's hypocritical.

WoW has a lot to do...after 11 years. *development plus additions since release* People expecting new MMO's to match it on release day is downright asinine.

News Comments > DC Universe Online Price Break
7. I don't regret buying it... Feb 6, 2011, 13:40 JohnBirshire

I bought the game two weeks ago, and I am legitimately enjoying it. The quests are more fun than any MMO I've ever played, and I've played dozens of them since Meridian 59. *villain side, can't speak for hero* Also, the combat doesn't feel like an MMO at all, it feels more like an action arcade game. If you are good, it is very easy to out skill other similarly geared opponents.

I don't regret buying it whatsoever, but I do admit right now it's looking like a two month play. However, I've played many games in my life for FAR less than two months, so it wasn't a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the game's long term playability, I can't help but be reminded of WoW. This is something a lot of people forget...WoW didn't have jack shit to do when it first came out. No armor sets to collect, no battlegrounds, no arenas, and only one raid which coincidentally required 40 attuned players. People, especially the ones who bring up WoW all the time, seem to forget this fact. Or, as I imagine, simply didn't play when it was brand new, so have no business flaming other games for lack of content at release.

I'm not sure what SOE's long term plans are for this game, whether it will ever have enough content to subscribe to for years straight, or whether it will simply be one of those MMOs you come back to for short sessions every once in awhile. All I know is that for every day I enjoy it, it's one less day I'm bored waiting for Star Wars: Old Republic.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Vegas Event
6. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Vegas Event Feb 4, 2011, 01:13 JohnBirshire

I'd like to go Forever without hearing about this game again.

It's going to be one of the greatest jokes in the history of gaming when this game is a total pile of shit when it's released. It will be like Daikatana x10.

News Comments > Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers
9. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 01:15 JohnBirshire

I made $40,000 buying and selling online game accounts before they banned selling on Ebay. Needless to say, I was severely dissapointed. The frustrating part is that the owners of the IPs didn't even care. *only a select few vocal ones are against it* UO and AC were the main two I traded. You could even pay for an Ultima Online account transfer for $30, which I used often to make the buyer feel more comfortable. It was a win win for everybody. I made money. They made money both from the account having a new subscriber instead of being cancelled, and from the transfer.

Unfortunately Blizzard throwing a fit convinced Ebay to ban sales, for all games, not just theirs.

News Comments > Crysis 2 PC Demo Coming
41. Modern Warfare: Crysis 2 *official title* Jan 28, 2011, 21:46 JohnBirshire

I don't know how anyone can say it wasn't well received on the consoles, I was actually shocked when I went to download it as it was the highest rated game I've seen on XBox Live. Ever. It had like a 4.9 out of 5 star rating.

I played Crysis multiplayer for about a month straight, I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the majority of servers didn't run punkbuster so cheating was rampart.

As for the 360 demo, I didn't really get into it. It seemed like they tried WAYYY too hard to make it like Modern Warfare, like new MMOs try to mimic WoW. *but I can't blame them* Almost identical killstreak rewards, interface, level progression, etc.

Hats off to them though, I hope the game is successful. They kind of got ripped on Crysis, should have sold a lot more copies.

4. Re: Game Reviews Jan 27, 2011, 19:10 JohnBirshire

I bought a gamepad and am trying to play, but I'm very confused. There just simply isn't enough buttons on a gamepad to map all of the keys I need to use.

Powers 1-8
Melee attack, ranged attack.
Travel power.
Blocking.
Active.
etc etc.

Are you simply forced to sacrifice some abilities?

1. 88%? DC Universe Online.... Jan 27, 2011, 12:24 JohnBirshire

Wow, an 88% from PC Gamer was a total surprise to me.

I bought it two days ago, unfortunately within an hour my wrist was killing me. I have never had to click a mouse button more times per minute than in any other game I've ever played. I feel like a Korean Starcraft Pro with 400 actions per minute while playing DCUO. It's like Diablo on crack. The only weapon that seems to be any better is Rifle, since you can just hold the button down. Going to pick up a gamepad from Best Buy today and try to play it again.

News Comments > Champions Online: Free For All Launch, Q&A
7. Re: Champions Online: Free For All Launch, Q&A Jan 27, 2011, 03:31 JohnBirshire

Champions Online F2P is worthy checking out if you haven't played it, just for the character generator alone. I spent 2 nights making characters, and only an hour playing.

DCUO is literally killing my wrist. Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click Click click click click click click click, it's like Diablo on crack. I'm going to go buy a gamepad before I get carpel tunnel.

1086 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo