Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Facepunch Reveals Deuce
1. Uhhh...no. Aug 2, 2014, 00:34 JohnBirshire

Tennis crossed with Street Fighter?! How is that even possible? One is a ranged activity, the other a melee.

Not only that, people that enjoy either genre most likely won't be interested in a hybrid of the two, so your audience is extremely limited.

Stupid idea, go back to the drawing board.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jul 30, 2014, 23:12 JohnBirshire

Yeah, I bought FTL just to check it out, stopped playing it almost 100 hours later.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 27, 2014, 02:08 JohnBirshire

Is this game worth buying now?

I don't see it on Steam, does it require some 3rd party service I don't have, in order to run it?

Are there a lot of full servers with good ping through most of the US?

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 22, 2014, 22:53 JohnBirshire

The last several times I went back to WoW, I did so on private servers. You can cut the grind tremendously and get straight to the endgame content, isn't nearly as big of a time sink. On some of them the servers are so busy it makes Blizzard's servers look like ghost towns.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 21:55 JohnBirshire

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 20, 2014, 21:32:
It is a social experiment. Nothing more.
It's not a social experiment, it's a video game where literally the only thing to do is kill other players....so that's what people do. How in the hell is that so mind-blowing?! Seems like Captain Obvious to me.

Not only that, we were doing far worse things than this to people in games like Ultima Online looooong before DayZ came out. Someone spends two hours walking in/out of houses and then you show up and kill them...oh the inhumanity! We camped outside people's castles until they showed up, killed them, took their house keys, and they just lost a year and a half worth of work. This scale of griefing is an order of magnitude more than you can do to anyone in DayZ, yet people act like DayZ is some awful realization of mankind's base desires...puh lease.

It's a video game. A video game where people kill each other for lack of absolutely anything else to do, it is literally the point of the game. It's not a social experiment, people who believe that are as nutty as Jack Thompson or the anti-video game media who think video games are a realistic portrayal of real life behavior. Take off your tinfoil hats.

*edit to fix quotations*

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2014, 22:06.

News Comments > Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Demo
4. Re: Magic 2015 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Demo Jul 20, 2014, 10:40 JohnBirshire

Isn't playing against other players the reason 99.99% of people play MTG?

So why is every single ad I see for this game talking about the single player?

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 13, 2014, 15:18 JohnBirshire

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 13, 2014, 12:20:

Boo, humanity, for still buying DayZ, and Goat Simulator.

Didn't you get the memo? Buggy unfinished games aren't the bane of the industry anymore, they have become it's most beloved and lucrative niche market.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 8, 2014, 22:19 JohnBirshire

Bitcoin has had multiple positive news stories this year, but Blue continues to only post negative story after negative story. He is probably a doge shibe.  

News Comments > H1Z1 Blog
3. Re: H1Z1 Blog Jun 29, 2014, 19:28 JohnBirshire

Are there any zombie standalone games that AREN'T in alpha status, or complete crap?  

News Comments > Line Of Defense $99 Early Access
1. Re: Line Of Defense $99 Early Access Jun 16, 2014, 17:49 JohnBirshire

I think Derek Smart is in on the joke.  

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 15, 2014, 13:42 JohnBirshire

I am really disappointed with this "early-release" phenomenon, I wish people would stop supporting it. We used to complain about buggy unfinished games, now it's a feature.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Cralorn Launches
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Cralorn Launches May 24, 2014, 11:22 JohnBirshire

Level VR 12 now, before the majority of players even reached VR 10. Here it comes, appealing to the hardcore crowd, pretty soon we'll have steadily increasing gear upgrades. If you are a casual, find a new MMO to play, this game will turn into a relentless grind.  

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Free Weekend
1. Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars Free Weekend Apr 30, 2014, 21:25 JohnBirshire

I played this the first 2 months of release, because I was nostalgic about the old school days of open ended PvP, ala Ultima Online and Asheron's Call Darktide. Unfortunately, it just had aweful game mechanics. The combat was crud and class balance was nonexistent, for example Warriors could 1 vs 2-3 equally skilled players using other classes. It also had a safezone so large that people could finish their characters before even having to leave it. Siege performance was also terribad, with huge drops in FPS and nonstop latency spikes, making it unbearable even on high end machines with fast connections. Everything sounded good on paper, but just didn't deliver.  

News Comments > SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ
4. Re: SOE on H1Z1 vs DayZ Apr 20, 2014, 13:52 JohnBirshire

Who cares if it is similar to DayZ? The DayZ devs are raking in all the alpha pre-release money while taking their sweeet time to work on the game, maybe some competition will get their butts in gear.  

News Comments > Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures
10. Re: Dupe Bug Causes ESO Bank Closures Apr 18, 2014, 22:38 JohnBirshire

1badmf wrote on Apr 18, 2014, 20:38:
is this game anything new from previous mmos? is the combat still ability spam/cooldown/autotarget?

Ability spam, well, it wouldn't be much of an RPG if you didn't have abilities to use. That being said, you do use your normal attacks quite often as well, it isn't nonstop ability spam. Cooldowns, not really, most skills you can use as often as you wish until you run out of mana/stamina. Autotarget, yes and no. You have to actually aim at your target, however your attacks do "zone in" on your target as long as you are pointing in their direction.

Combat is a little more involved than many MMO's, you can block attacks, interrupt attacks, and even dodge many of them. So yes, better than the average MMO of late.

In reference to the guild banks being taken down, they shouldn't even exist. The game desperately needs a global AH, it is incredibly difficult for the average person to sell their items without a lot of effort, you often see folk complaining about full inventories/banks.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Winklevoss Interview Apr 16, 2014, 21:21 JohnBirshire

As it stands right now, the CC payment system is better for the consumer, Bitcoin is better for the merchant. If Bitcoin is to succeed, they desperately need to devise a way for the consumer to benefit from it. *such as institute a discount for using Bitcoin as your payment method* If it only continues to benefit merchants, it isn't going to reach mass adoption.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. LOL Cutter Apr 6, 2014, 16:50 JohnBirshire

How much pee in a pool would kill you...submitted by Cutter, roflmao.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Launches
16. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Launches Apr 4, 2014, 11:40 JohnBirshire

I was one of the people who bought one of the original 3000 copies of Arena, and have been playing MMO's since early 90's, so buying ESO was a no brainer. My only real criticism so far is the FOV...seriously, do the developers even play videogames?! Who in their right mind thought "Gee, 60 FOV sounds perfect!" Really makes me question their sanity. I hear a slider is coming, but in my opinion the game should have been 1st person only. I don't even care if I am at a PvP disadvantage, I refuse to use anything but 1st person.

Like any new MMO, I see people in chat complaining about things not "being like WoW". I hope to god the developers don't start catering to them, because ever since WoW the MMO industry has been a steamjng pile of crap, games like Ultima Online and Asheron's Call were superior but since 90% of players started with WoW, their greatness has been mostly forgotten.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Mar 21, 2014, 20:19 JohnBirshire

I played this for the first two months, would have continued but the class balance was absolutely atrocious, worst I have ever seen. Which was ironic, considering it was full loot PvP.  

News Comments > Next CoD Sledgehammer's "Most Ambitious, Most Creative" Game
13. I actually enjoy the CoD games... Mar 21, 2014, 17:25 JohnBirshire

I've been a hardcore gamer my entire life, ever since I began playing the Commodore 64 over three decades ago. If I were to list my top 10 favorite games of all time, not a single one of them was released in the last 10 years. That being said, I actually love playing some of the CoD games. I don't buy every annual addition, but I've bought and played 4 of them, and definitely got my money's worth. I also have been trolled/flamed/shit talked extensively more in almost every MMO or multiplayer online game I've ever played than I have in any CoD. I simply don't understand all the hate they get from elitist wannabe's, I think they simply have way too much freetime.

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo