Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Asheron's Call 2 Returns
13. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 15, 2012, 01:05 JohnBirshire

Yeah, it was an exploit, and people used it to level rapidly

This happens in every single MMO at release, a few people discover an exploit right away and profit tremendously from it. Whether that be exp/gold/etc. One of my UO guildmates discovered a credit dupe in Star Wars Galaxies 2 days after release, and chose a few of us with Ebay accounts to help him sell it, keeping half the profit. Before it was fixed a month later, we made over $40,000, it was fantastic. You also see people at max level in most MMOs just a day or two after release, even if it's supposed to take 200-300 hours, same concept.

I loved AC the first couple months, played it religiously *literally 12-16 hours a day*, on Darktide. Would spend about 10 hours power leveling, then run around the server killing every single person I saw the rest of the time. Since anyone powerful enough to challenge me was in my monarchy *The Mercs*, there was absolutely nothing to worry about, we had free reign. Eventually I couldn't keep up with the grind due to real life priorities starting so I had to Ebay my account, but I still remember those days quite fondly.

I might subscribe to AC for nostalgia and to check out AC2 again, but that depends on whether I am enjoying the Darkfall relaunch or not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
14. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 23:55 JohnBirshire

Dear Reader, let none of these unenthusiastic comments about the lack of enhancements in the 'enhanced edition' detract you from the fact that...

You might find this edition to be the most workable version of Baldur's Gate.

See, that's just it. I could literally download Baldur's Gate from GoG on almost any computer, install a single patch, and play it perfectly with no problems whatsoever. As a result, I felt there was simply no need for this "Enhanced Edition", but after posting this opinion here I got flamed by a fanboi, lol. The only advantage to this version is being able to play it on other systems other than PC's, but from what I read it isn't the most intuitive experience. I'd like to give it a try on something like my Droid DNA, but I just can't imagine trying to play this game on a touchscreen.

News Comments > Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale
21. Online multiplayer? Dec 12, 2012, 16:51 JohnBirshire

This game had the best multiplayer deathmatch I've ever played, I was obsessed and was at one point ranked in the top 3 on both the Kali and TEN ladders simultaneously. Is there anywhere you can play it nowadays online, dedicated servers or anything of that nature?  

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 JohnBirshire

Nostalgia really is interesting, we seem to remember things being far better than they actually were. I've bought numerous old games thanks to gog.com, but only end up playing them for a few minutes usually. When Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 came out I played them religiously, exploring every nook and cranny for months. Loaded them up last week, the interface was so atrocious I couldnt stand it. While playing Tie Fighter the graphics were so awful I wanted to throw up. Etc etc etc. I guess its better to let most of these games exist in your memory, unless you have a tremendous amount of willpower.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"
31. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 16:44 JohnBirshire

I like how the defense against critizing this game is always "You just suck at it.". Sorry, but no. A few good reviews, but mostly mediocre. A release that didn't get much fanfare. A lot of people checking it out and not staying long. It will have a small niche community like Planetside 1 *which actually was a fun game for awhile*, but never anything more than that. If it had a subsription fee, the servers would already be dead.

4. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2012, 23:09 JohnBirshire

I still don't know how Baldur's Gate is going to work on my Android phone, I can't imagine trying to control everything on touchscreen.  

News Comments > Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was "99% Finished"
9. Re: Free Radical: Cancelled Battlefront III was Dec 1, 2012, 19:52 JohnBirshire

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 17:06:
Yeah, he's talking out his ass. A game's development has a definite event horizon. If it's before it and the publisher doesn't have faith its shaping up to at least recoup their money they pull the plug before they waste anymore dough.

Exactly. Games get released when they are 50% done for financial reasons, not cancelled at 99%. There isn't one person in the industry that believes him when he says this.

News Comments > SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025
17. Bad first impression... Dec 1, 2012, 18:48 JohnBirshire

I believe their biggest failure so far, and a very damaging one to the games long term success, was by doing an atrocious job of introducing the game to new players. PS1 had a training program environment that allowed you to familarize yourself with the controls, spawn vehicles and use them, test different weapons, etc. PS2 just throws you into the middle of a fight to die instantly as you're struggling to figure out what's going on. This approach is fine for veterans or for people who know how great this game can be, but a lot of other new players are saying screw it and logging out immediately. Not good, and rather embarrassing when I am telling someone how much fun this game is and their first impression of it is total shit. Im really disappointed in the developers for this decision, but it hurts them more than myself.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
3. Re: Diablo III Patched Nov 27, 2012, 15:06 JohnBirshire

I thought I would be playing this game off and on for years, but I only ended up playing it about two weeks. Its garbage, Blizzards worst lease ever, by far.  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale Day Four
39. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Day Four Nov 24, 2012, 22:39 JohnBirshire

How much is Chivalry right now?

I paid 2.50 for SPAZ and played it 50 hours. It was fun unlocking new ships and finding the most powerful combination of upgrades and weapons.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads
23. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 16:04 JohnBirshire

Sorry Draugr, but I simply said the same thing that almost everybody else here has reiterated, yet you keep arguing with me about it while calling me wrong. You're entitled to your opinion however. Would be nice if you kept to it without insulting everyone elses however, but I guess that comes with time.  

16. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 14:25 JohnBirshire

So its confirmed, you don't know what you're talking about.

Wrong. What I said is that there is almost nothing here that wasn't already available. However, I said I was still going to buy it. There was nothing inflammatory about what I said, only fact, so can your hostile response.

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2012, 14:30.

5. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 JohnBirshire

This is more than just a widescreen patch. They had done a lot of other changes to the game to make the UI fit correctly and a lot of other enhancements. so your logic is flawed.
With the widescreen patch the interface fits perfectly, there is no letterboxing or wasted space, and you can also change the resolution as well. So no, nothing flawed about the logic. Unless it includes some pretty massive overhauls, engine or graphics updates, or gameplay changes, this wasn't necessary. I agree with nin as well, I don't need to have 100 different download clients installed, let me grab it from a website or Steam.

1. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 JohnBirshire

You can buy this on GOG, install the widescreen patch, and be playing this game problem-free within 5 minutes of reading this. So I'm not sure how neccessary this overhaul was. But I'm a sucker for old school epic RPGs, so will probably buy it anyways.  

News Comments > Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV
19. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 21:45 JohnBirshire

Kajetan wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 18:41:
If you are soooo mature, why not ignore this comment above and just play the games you have fun with? Instead you rage on like a little child.

Didn't say anything about being "sooo mature", and your definition of "raging like a child" is a little bizarre. Your reading comprehension needs a little work unfortunately. So let me reiterate it for you, a few who think themself old school are critisizing the game as being new school garbage that only raging kiddies would find enjoyable. What I'm saying is that this isn't true, myself and many who have been gaming for a long time are enjoying it and getting their monies worth. So if someone is on the fence about getting it, give it a shot.

News Comments > Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV
14. Re: Black Ops II Patch Increases FOV Nov 22, 2012, 18:35 JohnBirshire

inveigle88 wrote on Nov 22, 2012, 16:47:
Too bad this game sucks, IMHO. This is the worst gaming purchase I have made in some time.

Blah blah blah, tired of hearing this crap. I've been a gamer my entire life, and my favorite games include PC classics such as Wasteland, Tie Fighter, Darklands, Ultima Series, Arena: Elder Scrolls, Privateer, Syndicate, Civilization, and Master of Orion. I've played more games over the last 30 years than 99.9% of gamers. I'm not 13, I don't "talk shit" in voice chat or teabag people I kill, etc. All you haters can stereotype people who play this game to your hearts content, but I love it, have been playing the hell out of it since day one, and count it as one of my favorite games of this year. No regrets with the purchase whatsoever.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Launches
47. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 22, 2012, 02:18 JohnBirshire

I hope this game is an acquired taste, because my first impression of it has been awful. *and I loved Planetside*  

7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 23:40 JohnBirshire

So does it really just drop you in the middle of a battle with no idea what you're doing? Probably a really bad first impression for a lot of first timers, should have started you in a training tutorial and let you remap your keys and such. Seems like a terrible design decision. If I wasn't familiar with Planetside and knew how good this game could be, I would have said screw it and logged out, as I imagine a lot of people will do.  

5. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 20, 2012, 22:37 JohnBirshire

Whoa, seems like this came out of nowhere, I didn't even know it was close to being released yet. Been playing the hell out of Black Ops 2...but I loved Planetside, downloading now.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM
30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $4.2MM Nov 18, 2012, 02:28 JohnBirshire

Kickstarter raises 4.2 million. In other news, Black Ops 2 earns 500 million in 24 hours.

Sorry, this kickstarter stuff doesn't sound very significant to me.

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo