Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1073 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Darkfall Unholy Wars Launches Using New Steam Subscription Service
5. Darkfall relaunch worth playing? Apr 25, 2013, 18:34 JohnBirshire

I loved the open world PvP nature of early Ultima Online and Asherons Call Darktide, and wouldn't mind this type of environment again. However I skipped the first Darkfall due to awful reviews and the fact that there was no skill/stat cap. I don't want to spend 90% of my time training skills against mobs in a "PvP" game. Is this relaunch different? I also read that this game is heavily crafting focused, another thing at odds with a "PvP" themed game, I don't want to have to spend countless hours crafting just to PvP. Is it an actual requirement?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 24, 2013, 15:14 JohnBirshire

Tradeoffs, haha. My Droid DNA has a larger screen AND better resolution than any iPhone.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. #1?! Apr 21, 2013, 14:47 JohnBirshire

Apparently people don't check reviews before buying games.  

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
36. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 14:58 JohnBirshire

jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 14:26:
Lame. Playing off the goodwill created by other Bethesda titles to announce something unrelated. They got their publicity, but they pissed off a lot of people too.

I agree. There was a bunch of hoopla over this announcement, and the climax fizzled. A surival horror game from the makers of Resident Evil? Who gives a shit. Next time just announce it without all this fanfare making people believe its something more significant.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. 4D is terrible... Apr 18, 2013, 12:43 JohnBirshire

Universal Studios has been doing it for awhile, most people hate it. The worst part is when they spray water in your eyes anytime water appears onscreen, its rather disgusting. Hopefully that movie gimmick stays in Japan.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Arena Sighted
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Arena Sighted Apr 15, 2013, 16:58 JohnBirshire

This is my favorite game of all time, followed by Ultima 7, Privateer, Tie Fighter, Master of Orion, and Syndicate.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Apr 14, 2013, 14:35 JohnBirshire

3D films were fun at first, when they made a conscious effort to have things coming towards your face. The Terminator "ride" at Universal Studios was the first good example of this, you felt like you literally had to dodge things flying at your head, and you could reach out and touch a lot of the imagery. Over the last couple years studios have gone away from it, and now the only thing 3D seems to do is make the background look further away, and for actors closer to you appear closer. However, you can comprehend this difference even without the movie being in 3D, so there is no point anymore.  

News Comments > Neverwinter Open Beta This Month
1. Re: Neverwinter Open Beta This Month Apr 4, 2013, 22:37 JohnBirshire

Looking forward to the Neverwinter setting *even though Forgotten Realms self imploded*, but kind of holding my breath, as their games to date have been rather underwhelming.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 1, 2013, 16:15 JohnBirshire

I paid $12 for Chivalry and played it 140 hours, huge bang for the buck. Unfortunately I ended up quiting because cheating has become an epidemic. The game has atrocious cheat detection, and nothing is ever done about it. You can report on Steam, but it seems as if the reports just get submitted somewhere where nobody ever looks at them, as I had people admit to rampart cheating for months straight and are so positive nothing will happen that they actually gloat about it. You can still have fun with the game though, just avoid duel servers if you care about fair competition and/or your record.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
39. Latency Mar 27, 2013, 13:02 JohnBirshire

In order for an MMO to compete in a region, they have to have servers in that region. No gamer wants to play any game with a ping time 5x higher than it should be. They just took themselves completely out of the Asia/Pacific market, they're done. For many MMOs this would be extremely damaging, from UO to WoW. However....Star Wars. Huge cultural phenomenon in the US, but in the Asian markets? Who knows, they might not have had many players to begin with.

News Comments > World of Warcraft PvP Gear Change Plans
3. Re: World of Warcraft PvP Gear Change Plans Mar 26, 2013, 12:18 JohnBirshire

I am glad they are finally addressing this discrepancy. I liked raiding and PvP, however Blizzard all along treated people like they were either one or the other. Any time spent doing one would put you behind in the other. People wouldn't let you into a raid if they saw a single piece of PvP gear, and if you showed up to PvP with PvE gear you were at a major disadvantage.

I think they should do away with any statistical differences between PvP/PvE gear, and just make it cosmetic.

News Comments > Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month
22. Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month Mar 26, 2013, 01:34 JohnBirshire

I think there actually was a new race added in a semi-recent patch.. the Cathar.

After researching, it appears the Cathar were supposed to be added two patches ago, but were a no show. Additionally, Bioware has gone silent on the issue. I was about ready to start playing again, but I guess I'll be waiting to see if they release the Cathar before something else I want to play comes out. *Like Path of the Exile cut-throat league*

News Comments > Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month
5. Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month Mar 25, 2013, 18:25 JohnBirshire

Does this introduce any new races or classes? I'm so bored I was actually thinking about playing this again, expansions are always a good reentry point because everyone else is starting at the same point as you, so you arent years behind on day one. But if there are no new races or classes, forget it.

edit: No new classes, or even races. Doesn't surprise me, their stupid decisions are what led this to be a dud, its not like they are going to miraculously start making good ones.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2013, 18:59.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2013, 02:04 JohnBirshire

Congrats Cutter, got any other videos that everyone saw 10 years ago that you can post too?  

News Comments > Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced
3. Free For All Strategy Mar 21, 2013, 21:04 JohnBirshire

I didn't like having to unlock cards, since it was much faster to unlock them against the AI I did that instead, but it is very monotonous. Plus I like to play on an even playing field, don't want to be trying to unlock cards against someone who has a major advantage because they already have.

I played for FFA, loved it. Despite 1 in 4 odds, I would win over 3 out of 4 of them using some simple techniques. The first, is I always chatted with people over voice. If 3 people are talking, and 1 isn't, I guarantee you the guy not talking gets beat out first every time. *since people are less likely to attack someone being cool with them* The second, is to make sure you are "average", not the weakest or strongest player. So if I had great cards in hand, despite it being a FFA I wouldn't play them until I had to. People love to pick off weak players, or gang up on strong ones, so being in the middle was best. Third, never start a fight, always just respond to them. People love to hold grudges, so if you attack someone early they usually focus on you the rest of the game even if it's in their best interest to target someone else. So using these three techniques, I was very successful, and it made for a fun game.

Haven't played in two years, so I might get back into it with 2014. Did they ever allow you the ability to make your own decks, or do you still have to use the pre-built ones?

News Comments > FEZ Coming to Steam
35. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 20, 2013, 13:24 JohnBirshire

However, they're better than not getting the games at all, especially when they've received critical acclaim like Fez has.

Wow, talk about exaggeration. Game had above average indie reviews at best, a spoiled brat developer, and lackluster sales that they were very disappointed with. Only reason they are releasing it on PC now is due to rumors they didn't even make a profit on the XBox release. You're insulting PC as a platform for even contemplating buying this trash. Youre a joke bud, not even worth arguing with. Enjoy your tablescraps.

32. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 19, 2013, 22:15 JohnBirshire

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:59:
JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:44:
Weeeeeeee!!! I love it when we get console leftovers!

I hear it has a minimap you can resize.

not really.

I'm currently playing Path of the Exile, where the minimap is much more appropriately sized, you can control the transparency, and add/remove it. You know, like Diablo 3 should have. But you're right, the game was an overwhelming success based on the decisions made during development, who am I to argue with you? *sarcasm*

*edit*
I find it ironic that one of you flames me for not wanting to play console leftovers released on PC as an afterthought years later, and the other flames me for not liking it that customization options given to us by PC developers decades ago are being removed for no reason. You two shouldn't be on bluesnews, you should be on xboxnews, where you console fanbois belong.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 22:27.

31. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 19, 2013, 22:08 JohnBirshire

Jerykk wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 04:11:
JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:44:

I'm confused. Your last two posts seem to suggest that you dislike console ports, yet in the past, you've professed your love of Skyrim and CoD, two games designed for consoles and ported to PC.

Consistency please.

I complained about getting leftover console ports long after they are released on consoles, and you counter by stating I'm inconsistent for liking two games that were released simultaneously on PC?

Logic please.

15. Re: FEZ Coming to Steam Mar 18, 2013, 23:44 JohnBirshire

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition?
8. Re: Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition? Mar 17, 2013, 17:31 JohnBirshire

Yes!!! Yes!!! Please give me a cheap port of a console game that came out years ago!!!

1073 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo