Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1096 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Layoffs at Turbine
4. Re: Layoffs at Turbine Oct 16, 2014, 22:58 JohnBirshire

Does Carl Savage still work there?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 15:03 JohnBirshire

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 14:09:
One of the common complaints I've been seeing about SG2 is that it feels like a lifeless galaxy. No chatter, no meeting NPCs in places, etc. Kind of like a Freelancer lite sort of thing, as in the fundamentals are all there, but all the bells and whistles that give it fun and depth are missing. I'll grab it at some point, but definitely going to give it some time first.
Yeah, I have to agree with that, it is a valid criticism. Playing the game makes me miss Privateer, where you felt like you were in a living, breathing, galaxy. The space chatter, the taunting, being able to land on planets and talk to people, etc. This game is heavily modable, from what I hear anyways, so I imagine someone will add some "charm" into the game sooner or later. Waiting might be the best bet for now.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 12:49 JohnBirshire

Saboth wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:05:
I've been having a lot of fun with Starpoint Gemini 2. It was a bit tough at first, because I was out leveling my income, which meant I was having trouble even on 1 v 1 battles, but once I got a destroyer, it all turned around. Now I've got a battleship, and I'm taking everyone to school.

Yeah, that was my experience as well. I quickly outleveled my ship, and was getting destroyed within seconds in most fights. At first I was mad and stopped playing, but then I changed my attitude. I realized that we, as gamers, have an expectation of always being able to win. In this game, you simply can't. You have to run, hide, avoid confrontation, and bide your time. Run cargo, only take missions where you can get in, complete the objective, and get out fast. Stealth around mining asteroids, check targets to see if you have a chance before you engage, etc. Once you realize that, the game is fun once again. And like you said, eventually it pays off, and you start dominating.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
34. Re: Nothing like UO... Oct 4, 2014, 10:25 JohnBirshire

Nothing like UO? What about the red/purple pvp system? How about, while not exactly the same, crafting is actually essential again and very player driven. World travel being meaningful. Player housing is nearly identical, and improved upon (btw, stealing from houses was patched out very early in UO too). How about getting substantial gains for use in pve/pvp while doing tradeskills? The game is also non instanced. I could go on. While not skill based, the skillsets can be leveled and hotswapped for some very unique combinations.

I apologize, but I still profusely disagree with you. If the game has a notoriety *red/purple* based system, and nobody drops anything on death...who cares? That was the entire point of being a thief/murderer in UO. Without it, no point. Substantial gains for use in PvE/PvP while doing tradeskills? Huh? Tradeskills gave you no PvE/PvP advantage in UO, you could not simply make high end gear that gave you a PvE/PvP advantage. ArcheAge is an items-to-win grind, UO was an even playing field where only skill mattered. House looting was not patched out very early in UO, it was patched out towards the end of the era that people feel nostalgiac about. It seems like you are comparing ArcheAge to the version of UO that exists '00-Current and not the era of UO that everyone talking about old school UO is referring to, 97-00. The era that made the game great, the era that people reminisce about. Unable to loot houses, unable to loot players, ability to craft items that give you a PvE/PvP advantage...you are comparing ArcheAge to TODAY'S UO, not the hardcore UO that all the old schoolers fell in love with.

Just because a game has crafting, housing, and an open world, does not make the game "Like UO". Dozens of MMO's that came out in the last decade and a half have all that, and people don't compare them to UO. So stop comparing this game to it, yes it has similarities, like many games do, but is missing everything that made UO fun.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
27. Nothing like UO... Oct 3, 2014, 18:07 JohnBirshire

Damn, from reading you guys comments this does sound pretty sweet. I often reminisce about the good ol' UO days. Wonder if i can break into peoples houses and clean them out like i could in UO?

As a long time UO player who started in 97...this game is nothing like Ultima Online, I don't know what people making that correlation are smoking. UO was skill based, this game will be a gear grind. In UO people lost everything they were carrying when they died, in this game, they lose nothing. In UO you could break into people's houses and steal everything in it, in this game...nope. There are a few things in this game that you could stretch and argue is like Ultima Online, but none of what actually made the game fun.

Oh, and if you play with invert mouse, don't even bother downloading it. PC Gaming 101, and they can't even get that right. This game is a fad, and is only getting attention because there isn't much else that's new at the moment. As soon as there is, people will quickly move on.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
14. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 13:43 JohnBirshire

This looks like an add-on to Civ 5, not like a new game whatsoever.  

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
5. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 26, 2014, 23:45 JohnBirshire

I had never even heard of the game until today, but after reading a few reviews, I bought it immediately. *out of 950 user reviews, the average is 9/10*

Someone saying "Privateer was my favorite space game of all time, until I played Starpoint Gemini 2" is what did it for me.

Going to start it up now.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 24, 2014, 21:13 JohnBirshire

I was just offscreen in the infamous screenshot where Rainz fire fielded Lord British, still irks me to this day. *that I was out of the screenshot, not that it happened*

UO is unrecognizable nowadays, but it was awe inspiring the year or two after release.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 17, 2014, 22:34 JohnBirshire

Who gives a crap, do we really need an update everytime they raise another 50 cents? Destiny had a $500,000,000 budget, and was still crap, so who cares how much they are spending making the game. Not only that, people arent "supporting the development of the project", they are simply buying a game in advance. If you do the math, $53 million isnt even matching what a million retail sales would be. Games that have sold far more than under a million copies havent gotten 1/10th this games publicity or 1/50th as many news updates, so wtf already?!

I was a huge Wing Commander fan, played all the games, saw the movie, an even read all the books, but I am not even going to get this anymore, thats how sick I am of this circus already.

News Comments > ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy
9. FTP crowd continues to get burned... Sep 16, 2014, 23:50 JohnBirshire

I can't help but laugh at the "Subscription is dead, FTP is the future" crowd continuously getting burned over and over again by quote unquote "free" to play games.

The overwhelming majority of them are nonstop greedy paywall cash grabs.

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
12. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 00:10 JohnBirshire

Trying to remember if I played through ICW1 or 2. Which one had a museum towards the end with a frozen whale in it?

If I recall correctly, Icewind Dales were more linear and combat focused than the Baldurs Gates.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor in November
8. I'm so confused... Aug 14, 2014, 22:59 JohnBirshire

I'm really confused by this. In Warcraft 3 it was revealed that the orcs in Warcraft 1 and 2 were assholes because of demonic influence. So in this "alternate timeline", they rejected the demonic influence...yet are doing the same damn thing?

How does that make any sense?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month
21. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month Aug 14, 2014, 19:49 JohnBirshire

It is so funny and ironic that every person in this thread defending the game admits to not playing it anymore. For an MMO that has only been out 3 months...that tells you everything you need to know.  

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VII Announced
10. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VII Announced Aug 13, 2014, 23:11 JohnBirshire

I kept hearing about how great Heroes 3 was, so I bought it and ran it with the High Res patch. The graphics are crisp, but it shrunk all the game windows down, so I feel like I'm playing a miniature version of the game. Any way to use the High Res patch but stretch it to full screen?  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Update 4 Next Month Aug 13, 2014, 20:35 JohnBirshire

This game has so far been a relentless level grind. I swear I maxed characters in UO, WoW, GW2, and SWToR combined in less time than it is taking me to get VR12 in ESO. Speaking of which, the VR idea was lazy and ill thought out to begin with.  

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 10, 2014, 15:23 JohnBirshire

I bought DayZ, played it for 30 hours or so before moving on to something else. At $1 an hour, it could have been worse. But I have absolutely no idea how people can play that game indefinitely, they must have reaaaaaallly long attention spans.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2014, 15:05 JohnBirshire

I know the shot lines are most likely optional for single player, but that isnt my concern. My concern is whether it is default for mulitplayer matchups.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2014, 11:35 JohnBirshire

Sacred 3 is absolutely nothing like the first two. Reminds me of Dungeon Siege 3. Kind off odd that they would attempt a lame cash grab with this franchise. The Sacred games were niche and played by people who knew exactly what they wanted, they aren't going to be fooled by this.

Pure Pool looks good...but wtf is with the colored lines showing you where your shot is going? Doesn't that defeat the entire point of the damn game? Is it enabled in multiplayer matches? I would have bought it if it wasn't for that "feature".

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
12. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 11:20 JohnBirshire

Do they literally have a team of people that sits around full time doing nothing but post rambling updates everytime they raise another 50 cents?  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta
3. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Beta Aug 4, 2014, 23:27 JohnBirshire

I love 40k, but Orks...ugh. Generic fodder, not interesting in any way, shape, or form whatsoever.  

1096 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo