Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1105 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Alienware's "PC Gaming Console"
21. Alienware's make supercomputers look like toasters... Nov 21, 2014, 22:18 JohnBirshire

I don't know what all these dillusional people are yammering about, Alienware's are the master race of PC's.

A 10 year old Alienware can run Crysis 4, clone AI, crack BIP-38 encryption, and literally produce a AAA title in the time it takes you to troll about them on this forum.

Imagine what a new one could do!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's "Biggest Entertainment Launch"; Series Tops $10B
27. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's Nov 21, 2014, 16:45 JohnBirshire

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 06:54:
Elcabong wrote on Nov 21, 2014, 00:31:
By far the dumbest thing I've done this year is buy this game. Myself and a large number of people on the forums have high end systems and can't get this game to even run. No help or any suggestions or anything from Activision or Steam.

+1

Game ran great for the first 48 hours, was having a lot of fun, great connections. Now it is almost impossible to find a game that runs well and doesn't become and rubberbanding lagfest.

After a couple days of running great, I had to turn off shadows and every other nice bell and whistle and I still have tons of graphical problems. The game is very choppy.

No dedicated servers even though they said they would. I skipped Ghosts, I should have skipped this one.....jokes on me. Never again.

Well...that is pretty scathing. I will skip this one as well. Trying to look into some alternatives to play instead.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's "Biggest Entertainment Launch"; Series Tops $10B
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014's Nov 20, 2014, 10:12 JohnBirshire

There is quite a bit of irony in making comments like that against the biggest entertainment launch of 2014. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

I want to buy AW really bad, as I aim much better with mouse+keyboard than I do with a controller. But lack of dedicated servers stays my hand. How hard is it to have dedicated servers, when games with $70,000 budgets have them?!?!

Anybody here playing this online on the PC? Are you having consistent successful matches?

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2014, 10:15 JohnBirshire

I have been playing RPG's for 30 years, crafting was non existent in 90% of them. Not sure I agree with that sentiment.  

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
2. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 12, 2014, 21:57 JohnBirshire

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 21:02:
Papers, Please for $3! GO!

Crossed my mind, but the game sounds like work to me. Aren't you just closely studying things, looking for discrepancies?

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Patch & Dedicated Server Talk
1. No dedicated servers... Nov 9, 2014, 12:21 JohnBirshire

If they refuse to say "We have dedicated servers" and instead give some roundabout beat around the bush answer instead...then they don't have dedicated servers. Which is why I have to skip yet another CoD game for the PC.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2014, 15:05 JohnBirshire

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 2, 2014, 14:41:
damnit.....so many friends got CoD.....I got it for $44.xx. Why did I do that.....

Looking at screenshots - it has FOV setting *slowclap

Sad that we have to celebrate this....BL also has it. Big up to BL for having setting for us that are color blind.

(-) for having Aim Assist. wtf.

I know CoD games get a lot of grief, but I've definitely received my money's worth out of the few I've picked up. If this one garners good reviews, and has consistent lagfree multiplayer *still up in the air as to whether it will have dedicated servers or not*, I think I'll purchase it.

FOV setting is a must, wouldn't buy it if it didn't exist. You are right though, Aim Assist on a PC port...huh?!?! Completely unnessessary, and rewards lack of actual aiming skill.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Reveal
8. Battlecruiser FPS reveal Nov 2, 2014, 11:18 JohnBirshire

This game is going to be the next Battlecruiser, tries to do way too much, and therefore fails at everything.  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
14. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 20:53 JohnBirshire

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:18:
Never was a big fan of TIE Fighter because the bad guys but I'll definitely pick up the X-Wing bundle at some point.

You didn't really feel like a "bad guy", you weren't a Sith. You were a pilot in the Imperial Navy. Many of the missions revolved around fighting pirates and smugglers.

I'm going to buy it if this is all true. Does the game have mouse support? I haven't had a joystick in 2 decades.

News Comments > Layoffs at Turbine
4. Re: Layoffs at Turbine Oct 16, 2014, 22:58 JohnBirshire

Does Carl Savage still work there?  

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 15:03 JohnBirshire

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 14:09:
One of the common complaints I've been seeing about SG2 is that it feels like a lifeless galaxy. No chatter, no meeting NPCs in places, etc. Kind of like a Freelancer lite sort of thing, as in the fundamentals are all there, but all the bells and whistles that give it fun and depth are missing. I'll grab it at some point, but definitely going to give it some time first.
Yeah, I have to agree with that, it is a valid criticism. Playing the game makes me miss Privateer, where you felt like you were in a living, breathing, galaxy. The space chatter, the taunting, being able to land on planets and talk to people, etc. This game is heavily modable, from what I hear anyways, so I imagine someone will add some "charm" into the game sooner or later. Waiting might be the best bet for now.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 12:49 JohnBirshire

Saboth wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:05:
I've been having a lot of fun with Starpoint Gemini 2. It was a bit tough at first, because I was out leveling my income, which meant I was having trouble even on 1 v 1 battles, but once I got a destroyer, it all turned around. Now I've got a battleship, and I'm taking everyone to school.

Yeah, that was my experience as well. I quickly outleveled my ship, and was getting destroyed within seconds in most fights. At first I was mad and stopped playing, but then I changed my attitude. I realized that we, as gamers, have an expectation of always being able to win. In this game, you simply can't. You have to run, hide, avoid confrontation, and bide your time. Run cargo, only take missions where you can get in, complete the objective, and get out fast. Stealth around mining asteroids, check targets to see if you have a chance before you engage, etc. Once you realize that, the game is fun once again. And like you said, eventually it pays off, and you start dominating.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
34. Re: Nothing like UO... Oct 4, 2014, 10:25 JohnBirshire

Nothing like UO? What about the red/purple pvp system? How about, while not exactly the same, crafting is actually essential again and very player driven. World travel being meaningful. Player housing is nearly identical, and improved upon (btw, stealing from houses was patched out very early in UO too). How about getting substantial gains for use in pve/pvp while doing tradeskills? The game is also non instanced. I could go on. While not skill based, the skillsets can be leveled and hotswapped for some very unique combinations.

I apologize, but I still profusely disagree with you. If the game has a notoriety *red/purple* based system, and nobody drops anything on death...who cares? That was the entire point of being a thief/murderer in UO. Without it, no point. Substantial gains for use in PvE/PvP while doing tradeskills? Huh? Tradeskills gave you no PvE/PvP advantage in UO, you could not simply make high end gear that gave you a PvE/PvP advantage. ArcheAge is an items-to-win grind, UO was an even playing field where only skill mattered. House looting was not patched out very early in UO, it was patched out towards the end of the era that people feel nostalgiac about. It seems like you are comparing ArcheAge to the version of UO that exists '00-Current and not the era of UO that everyone talking about old school UO is referring to, 97-00. The era that made the game great, the era that people reminisce about. Unable to loot houses, unable to loot players, ability to craft items that give you a PvE/PvP advantage...you are comparing ArcheAge to TODAY'S UO, not the hardcore UO that all the old schoolers fell in love with.

Just because a game has crafting, housing, and an open world, does not make the game "Like UO". Dozens of MMO's that came out in the last decade and a half have all that, and people don't compare them to UO. So stop comparing this game to it, yes it has similarities, like many games do, but is missing everything that made UO fun.

News Comments > ArcheAge Hits 2M Players
27. Nothing like UO... Oct 3, 2014, 18:07 JohnBirshire

Damn, from reading you guys comments this does sound pretty sweet. I often reminisce about the good ol' UO days. Wonder if i can break into peoples houses and clean them out like i could in UO?

As a long time UO player who started in 97...this game is nothing like Ultima Online, I don't know what people making that correlation are smoking. UO was skill based, this game will be a gear grind. In UO people lost everything they were carrying when they died, in this game, they lose nothing. In UO you could break into people's houses and steal everything in it, in this game...nope. There are a few things in this game that you could stretch and argue is like Ultima Online, but none of what actually made the game fun.

Oh, and if you play with invert mouse, don't even bother downloading it. PC Gaming 101, and they can't even get that right. This game is a fad, and is only getting attention because there isn't much else that's new at the moment. As soon as there is, people will quickly move on.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
14. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 13:43 JohnBirshire

This looks like an add-on to Civ 5, not like a new game whatsoever.  

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
5. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 26, 2014, 23:45 JohnBirshire

I had never even heard of the game until today, but after reading a few reviews, I bought it immediately. *out of 950 user reviews, the average is 9/10*

Someone saying "Privateer was my favorite space game of all time, until I played Starpoint Gemini 2" is what did it for me.

Going to start it up now.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 24, 2014, 21:13 JohnBirshire

I was just offscreen in the infamous screenshot where Rainz fire fielded Lord British, still irks me to this day. *that I was out of the screenshot, not that it happened*

UO is unrecognizable nowadays, but it was awe inspiring the year or two after release.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $53M
6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $53M Sep 17, 2014, 22:34 JohnBirshire

Who gives a crap, do we really need an update everytime they raise another 50 cents? Destiny had a $500,000,000 budget, and was still crap, so who cares how much they are spending making the game. Not only that, people arent "supporting the development of the project", they are simply buying a game in advance. If you do the math, $53 million isnt even matching what a million retail sales would be. Games that have sold far more than under a million copies havent gotten 1/10th this games publicity or 1/50th as many news updates, so wtf already?!

I was a huge Wing Commander fan, played all the games, saw the movie, an even read all the books, but I am not even going to get this anymore, thats how sick I am of this circus already.

News Comments > ArcheAge Launches; Founders Unhappy
9. FTP crowd continues to get burned... Sep 16, 2014, 23:50 JohnBirshire

I can't help but laugh at the "Subscription is dead, FTP is the future" crowd continuously getting burned over and over again by quote unquote "free" to play games.

The overwhelming majority of them are nonstop greedy paywall cash grabs.

News Comments > Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced
12. Re: Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced Sep 1, 2014, 00:10 JohnBirshire

Trying to remember if I played through ICW1 or 2. Which one had a museum towards the end with a frozen whale in it?

If I recall correctly, Icewind Dales were more linear and combat focused than the Baldurs Gates.

1105 Comments. 56 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo