Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 645 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced
25. Re: Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced Sep 1, 2011, 14:13 MattyC

PHJF wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 12:59:
You're fucking kidding me, right? Optical audio?

What is this, 1985?

What is wrong with optical? I don't need to pass video so I see no reason to upgrade my setup just to use HDMI.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced
10. Re: Sound Blaster Recon3D Announced Sep 1, 2011, 10:44 MattyC

Frijoles wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 10:21:
I haven't bought a sound card since Doom 3 came out. I think I've used on-board for the last two or three upgrades I've done. I don't see that changing any time soon.

I went a step further and just said forget it. I just use onboard optical output to a receiver since around 2004ish. Great sound and no worrying about support.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City?
54. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham City? Aug 29, 2011, 21:29 MattyC

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 09:01:
TurdFergasun wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 07:57:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 28, 2011, 06:09:

You don't honestly believe that M/KB is the ideal control scheme for every genre of game, do you? Some genres (like racing and fighting) are simply better suited to alternate controllers. Technically, you don't need to use a gamepad for any PC game. However, if you refuse to use anything but M/KB, you won't be getting the optimal experience in some genres.

fighting and sports games are the only type of games that benefit from a control pad. racing, if you have been behind the wheel of an actual vehicle (which if you haven't your opinion is useless to begin with) should be done with a force feedback wheel. There are some racing games, that are crap with either wheel, kbm, or control pad, but those are incredibly shitty games to begin with and should be shunned like poison.

Agreed 100%.
I tried racing games with a gamepad for a while and then I got sick of it. I tried a joystick and it was much better, but then I got a wheel and its fantastic.

Its all about how the developer gets the controls done. If its a cheap console port, the controls with M/KB will suck, even on a shooter. That wont mean I will ever use a controller instead, just because the developer/publisher were too cheap to make a proper PC version.

Oh and I sold my controller again as well. I simply dont have any games on the PC that justify it. And I wont buy em either.

Interesting. I have used a few wheels before and maybe they just sucked, but I didn't much care for them. I have always enjoyed racing games on a gamepad. Then again that may reflect that (other than a bit of Need For Speed) most serious racing game play started with Gran Tourismo on a PS1 dual shock.

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 Lives
4. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 3 Lives Aug 27, 2011, 17:27 MattyC

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 15:51:
I found the first two games to be quite entertaining. Very interested in the new route they're taking here, as well as Zeboyd getting a well-known IP to work with.

Same here. I am really just happy they are going to make a third game.

News Comments > XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed
16. Re: XCOM E3 2011 Playthrough - Changes Detailed Aug 27, 2011, 13:23 MattyC

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 13:12:
Fallout 3 still sucks compared to the original two.

I have always been on the fence on that. I don't want to say it sucked. I mean, I had a lot of fun with Fallout 3 and NV. That said it clearly wasn't a Fallout game. They should have called it "Oblivion II: Now with guns n stuff". It just wasn't anything like the first two.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Steve Jobs Was 'Henry Ford' of The Computer Industry. Aug 27, 2011, 13:14 MattyC

yuastnav wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 10:14:
MattyC wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 00:59:
[...]
'Snake oil salesman' generally refers to someone selling something of minimal to no benefit. Pretty much just pure BS. I have [...]

And there will be people who swear that what they just took is not a placebo. Yes, you use that, doesn't mean someone else cannot say it's snake oil because it's useless.
Furthermore you did nothing to disprove the fact that comparing Ford to Jobs is utter bullshit and reeks of fanboyism and/or a lack of a intelligence to discern someone with real ides from some public figure.

What? The Placebo effect is perceived action. I don't imagine that my iPod plays my music, video, and surfed the web. Those are things it did and it is clearly observable to others. I also like working on my MBP. I like multiple desktops and expose. I wish Windows had such features. Other people can observe me using them quite easily... those are features, not something I perceive. You can go on calling it snake oil all you want but yeah..

I also listed that Jobs has done more than just raw marketing. And even if he had JUST been a marketing master - that matters. Marketing determines all kinds of trends in society. Even if that were the case you would be raging over semantics.

As an example I really don't get The Sims. I just don't see how it could be fun. That said I don't pretend Maxis is hawking 'useless snake oil' or pretend the series hasn't been successful and important. You don't have to like something to observe its impact.

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 12:07:
MattyC wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 09:25:
I think some British guys were the first to actually come up with it, but IIRC it was Cadillac that rolled out the modern peddle system and layout.

Top Gear proved you wrong on that.

Creston

Really? I thought I learned that from Top Gear Embarassed Who actually rolled it out to the mainstream?

8. Re: Steve Jobs Was 'Henry Ford' of The Computer Industry. Aug 27, 2011, 00:59 MattyC

The Advocate wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 13:02:
MattyC wrote on Aug 26, 2011, 09:25:

Random comments and ad hominem attack

Refinements really have nothing to do with the point that, unlike Jobs, Ford founded an entire industry and revolutionized other industries with his designs. Assembly line driven mass production, for example.

I can't be bitter about something I am not personally involved with. Jobs is a salesman and that's that. The way he pushes sales is very much akin to used car salesmen and snake oil salesmen. Just as Ballmer is a belligerent, sweaty, loud bully. Ever wonder why Sinofsky is now the public face of Windows development?

I'm sorry if you think I somehow shat in your Apple flavored kool-aid.

'Snake oil salesman' generally refers to someone selling something of minimal to no benefit. Pretty much just pure BS. I have an iPod and a MacBook Pro. Would the MBP replace my desktop PC for gaming? No, but I love it, and use it for most everything else. I also enjoy my iPod touch. Both were great buys. It isn't "kool-aid". You may not like it (and that is just fine), but what you are stating is false. Lots of people like Apple's products. You don't have to found an entire industry to have a large impact on things.

Jobs worked with more than Apple. He also did work with NeXT and Pixar. Both did a number of things well. Tim Berners-Lee (web) and John Carmack (Doom) did some nice stuff on NeXT, not to mention Pixar has done quite well for itself.

If you don't like Jobs or Apple, that is fine. However pretending they had no impact on technology and it was all just sales is nonsensical at best. Refinements matter. You trying to dismiss them as marketing is silly. They weren't marketing moves, things were done.

I would also add that generally if your post is going to involve <x> kool-aid it probably lacks merit. I could be wrong and someone could show me an awesome post/point/paper with an <x> kool-aid statement in it, but in general it is a good bit of text to black list. This is sort of reinforced by your edit of my quote. If you don't want to quote my message ... don't. Trying to ignore it and call it "Random comments and ad hominem attack" is well

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Classier, Not Pricier
3. Re: Torchlight 2 Final Class and Price Revealed Aug 26, 2011, 11:20 MattyC

While I fully plan on picking up Diablo 3 at launch I have to say I will be doing the same for Torchlight 2 as well. I always felt multiplayer was the only thing that kept the first one at ok rather than great.  

4. Re: Steve Jobs Was 'Henry Ford' of The Computer Industry. Aug 26, 2011, 09:25 MattyC

The Advocate wrote on Aug 25, 2011, 22:55:
Bullshit. That easily belongs to Robert Noyce or, Hell, most of that team from Fairchild Semiconductor.

Henry Ford actually designed, built and mss produced something, personally, and was an engineer his entire life. Steve Jobs soldered a couple of components on a bread board in comparison.

Steve Jobs is a slick used-car and snake oil salesman. He's good at selling the idea that you "need" iDevice but he didn't found an entire industry. While Apple may have come out on top of the sales, every thing they ever produced was merely a refinement of some other tech that came before.

I would agree but only in so much as he and Apple were more the Cadillac. Have you ever seen a Model T? It was horribly designed. It could do the job, but you sure wouldn't want to be driving that way today. I think some British guys were the first to actually come up with it, but IIRC it was Cadillac that rolled out the modern peddle system and layout. Ford refused to convert for quite some time (and still sold fairly well), but eventually we ended up with the layout we have today. I see Apple in a role somewhat similar to that rather than revolutionary.

As for the "a slick used-car and snake oil salesman" comment I disagree. That is just you doing some bitter "wahhhhhh someone likes something I don't. Why aren't they ccoooool like MMEEEEEEEE" thing. If you don't like Apple products, don't buy them. No one else cares if you do or don't.

News Comments > Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives
30. Re: Razer Declares PC Gaming Lives Aug 23, 2011, 09:36 MattyC

Razumen wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:33:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2011, 23:06:
I have a 9-button programmable Razer Lachesis mouse. I've had it for about 4-5 years.

Every once in a while, after I boot my gaming rig... for some reason the mouse isn't "detected" and I have to go to the back to the machine and pull it... then plug it back in. This has gone on with 2 different motherboards and OSes (Xp and 7), and several driver updates. It's definitely the Mouse.

As for it's performance and functionality (when it works)... it's "Meh.. OK"

That said... I'll probably never buy another Razer product again. My next programmable mouse will probably be a Logitech... like my G-11 Keyboard.

/shrug

You're complaining about a mouse that's 5 years old? Man that's considered ancient in tech years-in fact you're lucky the thing works at all still.

I've been using Razer mice for years and I've never regretted paying the slight premium for quality.

Not if you don't buy junk. I use a relatively new Logitech G500 on my desktop, but I am also using an original 4 button optical Microsoft Intellimouse on my laptop. Its from... I think 2002 or 2003; either way it is ancient. Still works just fine. It replaced my launch model MX510 which still worked but you had to keep the cord bent to the left which was likely a result of being rolled up that way for years and packed in my laptop bag.

No reason you have to trash mice or keyboards constantly.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2011, 09:46.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 19, 2011, 10:39 MattyC

Numinar wrote on Aug 19, 2011, 00:08:
Was Blizzard dead when the playstation version of Diablo 1 was released? I have seen soooo many forum posts by PC gamers who got their licks playing inferior ports of Xcom, Populous, Star Control 2 or Civilization on consoles.

They might have been inferior ports, but they in no way detracted from the initial release being brilliant and those dudes guys grew up into people who will plunk thousands down on fancy new PC hardware and software every year, which is good for all of us. Think of it as a form of PC missionary work. Bringing god to the unwashed masses!

No kidding, I don't see any reason to view this as something new. Blizzard has had console ports of its titles for years. They are still a PC first dev and Diablo 3 is clearly being developed primarily for the PC.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming
17. Re: World of Warcraft Transmogrification Coming Aug 18, 2011, 14:07 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 13:36:
Cutter wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 23:04:
Yeah, every other game on earth has had this for years now, they're called wardrobe tabs.

Yup, and in true WoW fashion they made it into yet another gold sink instead of just making it the feature everyone asked for.

I haven't played WoW since shortly after Cata came out (it killed it for me, just wasn't fun... and they expected me to daily farm those awful insanely long heroics? ick) after playing since launch. Things could have changed (like I said, haven't played in a long while), but when I was active the game desperately needed more gold sinks. The economy was suffering crazy inflation.

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
64. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 09:28 MattyC

InBlack wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 03:42:
I hate to say it but Zef has a point....

Digital distribution is so much cheaper than retail its unbelievable that games sell in the same price range.

Think about it for a second.

First of all you remove the production costs for CDs, DVDs, whatever. In bulk they are not great but it does cut costs.

Next, you remove the middle man i.e. retail. Here is where the biggest costs can be cut, the mark up price at retail is quite a bit. (Assuming that Steam is the publisher of said game)

So basicaly what Zef is saying is true. Instead of games being 20-30% cheaper in digital, they are priced at the same range and all that extra cash goes right to the publisher and/or Valve.

This is because B&M stores exist and have expenses. They can't compete with20-30% off online. If you say "yeah we are going to sell this for 30% less digital" the B&M stores say they can't compete with that so they won't carry your game. Developers hear this and don't want to lose having their game in Walmart and Gamestop so they set the same prices. Steam then counters with its regular sales.

It isn't all cloak and dagger to suck the poor clueless customer dry... it is more like normal business.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale
4. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:20 MattyC

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:17:
I suck at this game, but I don't regret buying it and supporting them.

It's fun, but I do tend to get my ass handed to me.

How popular is the multiplayer? I won't need to spend twenty minutes trying to get a game going or anything will I?

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale
2. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:16 MattyC

This is a game I had been interested in but unsure of so... yay demo!  

News Comments > Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM
48. Re: Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM Aug 11, 2011, 15:09 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 14:33:
Who said anything about winning or losing? You posted your opinion and the reasoning behind it. We are disagreeing with the reasoning, not the fact that you have a unique opinion and your own experiences. It's not that difficult a concept to understand. People posted why they disagree and you just fall back to "well its my experience". Fine, if thats your answer then fair enough but it's not terribly logical nor does it relate very well to peoples problems with the discussion topics. Your gameplay experiences have no relation to how people are reacting here, how you played doesn't have anything to do with how they did or want to play games.

I wasn't referring to your overall opinion but to your supporting Bhruic's

Bhruic wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:42:
To me, Diablo has been an online only game.

I'm not sure what you are using this to explain? You only play it online, so that negates all the people who didn't? Or everyone should be forced to play it the same way you do? Everyone playing it single player is wrong?

as "He pretty much cut right through everything you've said with a succinct reply.". That would be like someone quoting something you said and saying "SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT NO ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY ONLINE BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT TO?!? YOU ARE SO WRONG" and someone calling that a rebuttal instead of a logical fallacy. You would think based on the second part of his post he gets how silly his post is, but I guess not. Hence the

My statements since the info came out have always been more along the lines of 'I get what you are saying and for many games I would agree with you, but here I think for myself and a lot of others it is a non issue' not 'you don't play it online? You shouldn't be allowed to play games and you are wrong'. Always on games are here, like it or not. I was just talking about it, not championing it.

44. Re: Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM Aug 11, 2011, 14:24 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 13:24:
Not really. I have said my statements do not invalidate the opinions of anyone else

The foundation of your statement is inherently flawed was his point which you have seemingly missed, its the same thing I said earlier in much longer posts as well. Saying you experience the games one way is fine, thats not what anyone has an issue with. It's when you start saying other people are overreacting and your only basis for that is your own gameplay experiences that it becomes a problem. There will always be doom and gloom but there is a lot of reasonable points in here too so you take the good with the bad.

We have different opinions. I think people are overreacting for the most part, you don't. We just disagree, that is no reason to setup a straw man and imply that I think other opinions have zero merit when I never said anything like that. I offer my experience as an explanation for why I feel the way I do, not because it shows I am somehow "right" or that others are "wrong". I am just discussing not trying to win.

It seems like they sort of want D3 to be WoW lite. I don't find that ideal, but I still plan for it to be a launch day purchase.

41. Re: Runic on Diablo III vs. Torchlight 2 RMTs and DRM Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 12:28:
On the plus side, even playing an SP game, if I find some uber rare phatty lewts, I can throw them up on the real money AH and make a few bucks... Which may require jumping through some stupid hoops, but if it's worth it, maybe I'll quit my job and do it full time (not too likely heh).

Hah, good point. I might put up with being online if it means I can sell imaginary items to some moron.

MattyC wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:51:
Only if you ignored all my other posts in this thread...

I've read all of your posts in this thread and it just seems like you have no rebuttal. He pretty much cut right through everything you've said with a succinct reply.

Not really. I have said my statements do not invalidate the opinions of anyone else. I just didn't like the threads being all doom and gloom. Some of us are ok with this, just only for certain games. Diablo 3 requiring me to be online? Thats fine by me. The next Final Fantasy doing the same? Not a chance.

And he didn't really cut through my argument. He set up a straw man. I never said anything like what he implied.

News Comments > 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Movie Tie-in Content Plans
7. Re: 300K Join Age of Conan: Unchained, Move Tie-in Content Plans Aug 11, 2011, 12:07 MattyC

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 11:09:
Great to hear. Age of Conan is by no means a bad MMO. It's just not the one for me.

Have you played it lately? Any good? I got it at launch and it was complete garbage. MMO launches are never prefect but AoC was just ... ugh. The talent trees didn't even work! It absolutely had potential but I have avoided it since simply because I was ticked that I payed full price for a beta.

News Comments > Alpha Centauri TMs
4. Re: Alpha Centauri TMs Aug 11, 2011, 11:59 MattyC

If done right I would LOVE a new AC game. Not sure if that will happen though. Games of that style seem to be very niche now. Sure Civilization is still kicking, but that is about it.  

645 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo