Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 646 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 28, 2012, 21:45 MattyC

eunichron wrote on May 28, 2012, 19:37:
Slashman wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:38:
Beelzebud wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:31:
Lord Tea wrote on May 28, 2012, 17:24:
Who would give a shit about D3 in 5, 10 years anyway?

The same type of people that still play Diablo 2, 12 years after its release date.

You'd think that would be obvious...

Forget Diablo 2, there are still people playing Diablo 1 on official B.net servers.

This more or less. While it is still an issue you can be concerned with, Blizzard has a stellar record here. I even installed D1 and fired up B.net to verify - it is still online. That has been going since 1996. I think Blizzard has proven that they can be trusted to not yank support on short notice.

In unrelated news that disc WAS SO DUSTY. How did that much dust get inside a CD case? The CD case itself wasn't dusty, only the disc inside... I blame Diablo himself!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances Launches
4. Re: Command and Conquer Tiberium Alliances Launches May 24, 2012, 23:18 MattyC

After the last C&C I have to say .. please EA, just leave this alone.  

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
129. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 24, 2012, 11:03 MattyC

Cutter wrote on May 24, 2012, 07:57:
Doombringer wrote on May 24, 2012, 01:16:
The best solution will likely be to cut down on distribution/packaging costs and move toward the download model (even allowing gamers to bring memory cards into stores to complete their downloads there), if games are going to be locked to an 'account' and no longer tradeable. Lower the cost per game to close the gap and gamers will have less to complain about. It's the $49-$59 pricetag that drives a lot of players to buy used or go the rental route, after all.

To save $5? Most of them probably spend that much on gas going to get the damn thing. And no company in this history of man has ever lowered prices when something got easier and cheaper to do. Only real competition drives the price down, otherwise they'll charge what they can.

To be fair, IIRC given inflation, Blizzard has effectively lowered the price of its games over time.

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
219. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 11:24 MattyC

I am sure it is possible, that is why I didn't say it was a 0% chance, but it just wouldn't make sense from a business point of view to be ban happy. I never had an issue with it. Then again things could of changed since I stopped playing.  

216. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 11:15 MattyC

Creston wrote on May 22, 2012, 10:58:
Muscular Beaver wrote on May 22, 2012, 04:06:
Well, its Blizzard...
I remember when I was banned from WoW with a final notice, just because my IP address changed.
At least after 6 weeks a more competent superior finally got hold of my case... Still I didnt get reimbursed for the lost days I was banned.

That's fantastic. Quick, RUN to give them more of your money!

Creston

I would say the odds of him being banned because his IP changed in a game he pays a monthly fee for are roughly .001%. Also, when I still played WoW I often played the game at LAN parties, friend's houses, and even hotels when I was on the road (even in other countries). Blizzard is a company, they want his monthly fee, so yeah, I am going to have to call BS on that story.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Interview
12. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Interview May 22, 2012, 08:54 MattyC

Slashman wrote on May 22, 2012, 08:27:
Did you guys know that the mod community is actually working on multiplayer Skyrim? Check out Skyrim Nexus. I forgot the name of the mod.

IIRC it is very much still a proof of concept. That said it would be awesome if it is every made fully functional. I am not holding my breath though.

186. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 08:50 MattyC

Quinn wrote on May 22, 2012, 08:27:
Bhruic wrote on May 22, 2012, 06:33:
Quinn wrote on May 22, 2012, 04:24:
Wait what was off with his wording? You're saying the same thing. You have to complete normal mode with every single character you want to play a more difficult mode with!

The first guy didn't say you have to complete Normal mode with every class before higher difficulties are unlocked, although it seems you think that's what he said.

Anyway.. It's still fucking ridiculous. Once I finished normal mode with my mage, I wanna play nightmare with my Demon Hunter, ffs. You guys absolutely certain this isn't the case? Rage is boiling up, you see..

Uh, how is that any different than the way it worked in D2? Every new char you made had to play through Normal->Nightmare->Hell. You couldn't just skip to the end because you'd got a different character to Hell difficulty.

And that's, what? A good thing, Bhruic? It's a good thing the game has basically one difficulty when you think about it?

Normal is way too easy. Way. So easy that I'm often just bored out of my ass.

Besides, I hardly played D1 and D2. And still, what makes it a good thing D2 was exactly like you described? Also, there's people out there who just wanna have a nice, single playthrough with one or more characters, but not this freaking easy. I've had enough of my mage once I'm done with the campaign. I was looking forward for a more difficult mode with a new hero. Fuck!

Jesus, I truly hope nobody is that crazy to support Blizzard's ridiculous decision to do it like this. Normal difficulty is one perfectly fit for my never-gaming wife (a fact, for she enjoys it, being the noob she is. She only died once with her WD). For an experienced gamer like myself and probably all of us here.. well, we can do it with our eyes closed.

Ridiculous.

A new level 1 would not be able to do anything in nightmare. I am not sure what you don't understand about that. The story ends when you beat normal, but not the game. That is really where the game begins. Sorry you missed out on the previous Diablo titles, but that is how the games work.

158. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 22:54 MattyC

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:21:
Kosumo wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:49:
A bit more thinking and I'd say that Dragon Age 2 sold manly on name too. Also SW:TOR

There are heaps of games over the years which have sold large at thier launch (not all at same level as Diablo 3, which came out in 2012 so is fresh in your mind)

Your statement "I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone." is just very shallow thinking and I'd say is more about your personal views towards large publishers and games company than anything else.

The fact that it had a '3' in the name make me think that they are keen to use the 'Diablo' name in selling their game or else they may have gone with a name like "Tristram"

Ok then, allow me to rephrase it.

Diablo 3 may have been the first game that contains blatant consumer abuse that sold on name and name alone on the PC.

Eh, as someone that got D3, I feel you are using the term abuse incorrectly. You are free to hate the game, just don't speak for me. I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.

155. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 21:13 MattyC

Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:28:
Slashman wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

SC/SC2/D1/D2/WC/WC2/WC3 (and apparently WoW for a good stretch) ran on relatively low specs for their time. At my workplace people were able to play them on their work computers, which were bottom line machines not bought with gaming in mind. Turns off hardcore PC gamers, but appeals to everyone else.

And aside from that, they're simple to play -- the polish helps -- and Blizzard knows how to make a summer blockbuster movie in game form while exposing hints of a broader lore. I know people were saying that story doesn't matter in an ARPG, but with regards to TL1, god damn but I didn't care about the Ember, the girl, her teacher, or anything else in the game. I can't speak to WoW or D3, but in their other games they've done a good job of putting in the extra bit of work to make the world at least a little interesting. Even in D1, which had barely any cutscenes to speak of, there was decently-written background lore in the manual.

The story is hardly amazing, but it is much better than average in the ARPG world. I did push on a bit faster to see how it wrapped up.

105. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 18:02 MattyC

ASeven wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:43:
Food for thought in 2 points:

Blizzard has proven that they aren't really that good at server technology. The servers went down for a long period and still suffer from downtime. If they cannot fix such a basic thing, what guarantees D3 gamers have of them having a strong server security in the first place, considering that any game using real money always attracts the seedy part of the internets?

If Diablo3 had been developed and published by another publisher like EA or Ubisoft and was called something else but everything else remained equal, would people be so fervent in defending the game then?

I'm starting to think D3 may have been the first observable game that sold on name and name alone.

How do you figure that? They ran a MMO that at peak ran very reliably with what 12 million active accounts. The crappy launch D3 server status is more or less a given. They aren't going to have that kind of demand in say 4 months, so they don't get it on launch. Granted I think it is obvious they scaled it back too much, but in general that is something that will happen with any popular game.

As for defending the game, I don't really feel the need to. I am having a lot of fun playing it with friends. I don't feel it is game of the year or anything, but good fun as the servers are stable.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 23:10 MattyC

Cutter wrote on May 20, 2012, 17:59:
So thanks to eunichron who kindly gave me a key for the D3 demo I finally got around to seeing it first hand.

1. It was the same problem as the open beta where the game wouldn't update and install because of the bad Agent.exe. It boggles the mind they haven't fixed this yet and their only solution is to point them to user found soultions that you have to jump through hoops to figure out. I tried several things and none worked. I was about to just give up on it when I noticed someone posted a link in a reddit thread to some files that everything required to acutally get it installed. So it finally worked. Again though, simply ridiculous and unforgivable on Blizzard's part that they haven't fixed this and don't even offer a full client download to bypass this. No company this big that makes that much money should be that cheap and lazy.

2. So, I fired it up and it played pretty smooth with no noticable lag or rubber-banding. Visually speaking, I'm not impressed at all. Even with everything cranked up it all looks dated and washed-out. Everything has a sort of pastelish cel-shaded fuzzy look to it IMO. Skill trees suck. No auto-loot sucks. Combat - so far - is pretty meh - I'm playing a monk. The overall flavour and art direction are still good and I do enjoy it. Oh yeah, and no mouse zoom sucks. It's ridiculous that you either zoom all the way in or out and can't find a sweet spot you want.

Even if it didn't have the always-on DRM I wouldn't be in any hurry to pick this up. Overall it's definitely lacking something compared to 1 & 2.

I would have to disagree with you on the visuals. I find them very Blizzard and very well done. However on the zoom I am with you 100%. The SUPER ZOOM or no zoom seems very silly to me. I guess it is just to check your character, but there are situations I want to zoom in a bit, but not crazy zoom.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer
3. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Website; Trailer May 4, 2012, 23:25 MattyC

I feel like this is very much like SW:TOR to me. A game I would like, but not with the monthly fee. I just don't feel the MMO is viable here.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 14:09 MattyC

Agent.X7 wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:51:
Beamer wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:47:
ASeven wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:26:
Beamer wrote on May 4, 2012, 11:07:
ASeven wrote on May 4, 2012, 10:10:
Well, seems it's becoming official though we knew it all along, Windows 8 is terrible. And having to pay for Media Center? Holy shit, the DLC concept finally hit Windows itself.

Think I'll stick with Win7 for a long, long time by the looks of it.

Didn't they do this with Win95 or 98 or Me or whichever? I'm pretty sure one of those had some kind of add-on pack that allowed DVD playback, which makes some degree of sense - DVD playback costs them money but isn't used by too many people. It wasn't used by too many back in the day and it's falling back to not being used by too many again now.

As for that review, take it with a grain of salt as it's from a huge Linux nut, but I don't think this surprises anyone:

Oh yes the Linux bias there is very strong, still some of the stuff he says makes sense to what I've been hearing from other people testing Win8, that it's a disaster for a desktop or laptop PC, it seems to have been made with a focus more on mobile and tablet experience rather than desktop.

I expect Win8 to be the new Vista and to follow the usual pattern of Microsoft Windows releases, good, bad, good, bad. Win7 was the Good one, Windows8 seems to be on target to be again one of the Bad Windows.

Vista wasn't that bad. Intel was the one dropping the ball there.
But yeah, for a strong Linux bias it was a pretty fair analysis, or seemed to me. I haven't used Windows 8 and am not planning to anytime soon, outside of a phone and tablet, where I think the OS not only makes sense but could be great.

Vista wasn't bad if you compare it to ME. If you compare it to 98, XP, or 7? It's pretty bad.

Vista was fine if you ran it on newer hardware. Most of the people that 'hated it' just read something on the internet about it and then repeated it. The same complaints (drivers, RAM, using more resources) fit their precious XP on its release. And UAC was a good thing, it just needed to be tuned.

News Comments > Ridge Racer Unbounded Demo
5. Re: Ridge Racer Unbounded Demo May 4, 2012, 13:39 MattyC

To be honest, I had no idea the RR series was still alive and kicking.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 09:52 MattyC

Macs are far from malware/virus proof. That said, the Kaspersky is absurd. The security holes and quasi run-as-root that was Windows 10 years ago hasn't been present in OS X and isn't coming back. It is a stupid headline intended to grab views on pure absurdity.  

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
46. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 26, 2012, 09:45 MattyC

DNForever wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 08:19:
So what's the best linux? I might try it if I get bored this summer/if Windows 8 really sucks.

LittleMe wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 04:08:
DNForever wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 13:35:
Gaming is really the only reason most of us ever use Windows.

Speak for yourself Jack! Let's see... games, internet, documents, music, watching videos... yeah I use Windows for everything. I have no interest in fucking with Linux, but can kind of understand the appeal of a free system.

The things you mention can be done in Linux just fine. Gaming is where Linux really takes a back seat to windows. That is, games made by big developers run great in Windows and too often either don't work or take a lot of work to run in Wine.

Gaming is what is keeping Windows relevant for a lot of people, me included. They stand to lose a lot if they lose the PC gaming market. I applaud Valve for this Linux push.

Overall any disto will be workable for you now. This isn't like the late 90s - early 00s where many required voodoo and the promise of your first born child just to boot up. I haven't really been into Linux distros for a while now, but if you are new I would stick with something like Ubuntu. Windows 7 is fine for me. Plus I got sick of messing around with the driver hell that is Linux. If you are only putting it on a desktop with lots of standard stuff you should be fine though.

News Comments > Linux Steam Plans Confirmed
6. Re: Linux Steam Plans Confirmed Apr 25, 2012, 10:57 MattyC

Jivaro wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 10:39:
Even if it's use is relatively small, even compared to Mac, I still think this a good idea. It gives developers, particularly indie developers, another platform with an easy distribution and sales method. It provides players with another potential platform, and I just don't see the "bad" in that.

I assume that is the motivation here. That is assuming this is more than just an iOS style 'chat and shop, no play' release (and it sounds like it is).

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Specs
18. Re: Max Payne 3 Specs Apr 24, 2012, 00:09 MattyC

Am I the only one that thinks the CPU req is somewhat high end compared to the 2006-2007 era video card and RAM reqs?  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up
11. Re: Shadowrun Returns Exclusive Level Follow-up Apr 21, 2012, 13:12 MattyC

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 23:03:
Ok so I played the SNES version, there was a Genesis version, and a Sega CD version also right? Of the SNES/Genesis version, which would you say is the best.

Both are good, but I greatly preferred the Genesis version. The Sega CD game was never released in English.

News Comments > Diablo III Open Beta Weekend
135. Re: Diablo III Open Beta Weekend Apr 21, 2012, 13:07 MattyC

Not sure how so many players had trouble. I had been in the beta, I hadn't played in a while, but I hopped on. No issues. Though the character wipe had me give up quickly.  

646 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo