Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 646 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway
3. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 10:39 MattyC

About time. Now where is my key Blizzard? /angry shaking fist  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Age of Conan Update Plans
5. Re: Age of Conan Update Plans Sep 3, 2012, 14:15 MattyC

Pete wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 14:01:
Would they bother to keep creating content for it if people did not play?

I dunno, you are asking about a team that released a game that was clearly incomplete. Incomplete to the degree that talents did not work etc. I don't think logic factors in to what they do.

^ Was burned by AoC. :*(

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
62. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:49 MattyC

I had written this off a long time ago, but if it is coming I could see this being awesome.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced
10. Re: Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced Aug 31, 2012, 11:51 MattyC

dheer wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:08:
netnerd85 wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:39:
as we deliver the next great Command & Conquer experience next year
Do ANY original fans of the series give two f*cks about the sh*t they dribble out now?
Nope. I don't think even they know what they're doing with the franchise any longer either.

I loved the C&C series and ate up anything released under that name for a long time. Tiberium Wars came out and I was like that was....ok and I still had some fun with it. Red Alert 3 was pretty much in the same boat. Then came Tiberian Twilight. I don't know what the hell happened. The game took everything that was great about the series and removed it. I wish I could remove it from existence, let alone my steam collection.

I hold a similar view. None of the stuff was the same once EA got into the mix, but it was at least tolerable. I still enjoyed the campy fun CG and Kane. Once C&C 4 came out I was like... nope... not doing this. I mean they made a C&C game where you don't even have bases. Who thought that was a good idea? Had they played any of the other C&C games?

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
31. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 31, 2012, 11:45 MattyC

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:36:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 05:06:
Unfortunately, D3's 6+ million sales don't really suggest that consumers are against always-online DRM. Rather, it suggests that they don't care about DRM at all provided that your game has sufficient hype and marketing.

I would say people hate DRM when it doesn't work, but don't care when it does. If Diablo 3 launched smoothly I would agree no one cared, but since it had a rough first week I would guess some people who normally wouldn't care might be a little wary of future always online requirements, at least for a little while.

Probably not though.

Honestly those of us worried about DRM and game preservation are so in the minority I am surprised publishers ever comment on the matter at all.

Game preservation worries for B.net titles is more than a little unfair. You can still login to Diablo 1 last I tried. That is from 1996. Blizzard could always change, but as of now they have a long record of backing their online services.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
29. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 13:36 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 10:44:
Oh, I don't know -- I even had fun in the suppression room, and I was doing it as a Paladin most of the time. And as you mentioned, there wasn't THAT much trash. Heck, the instance started out with two boss fights and no trash. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)

You remember it right. It was Razorgore and then Vael (no idea if I am spelling those correctly) right at the start. Some of the trash could be really fun. You had those mobs that took extra damage to certain types of magic and, IIRC, you could also take their resists into negative values with curse of shadow and curse of elements. This could lead to some insane crit damage.

27. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 10:29 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 21:26:
Yeah, the BWL trash was tough, but it was also fun. At least I thought so. You forgot Naxxramas which was excellent. I was so happy in WotLK when they revamped/re-released it. That was awesome.

Other than the suppression room (which suuuucccckkkkkeeedd) BWL is still one of my favorite raids. Ignoring the SR it really didn't have that much trash.

23. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 13:33 MattyC

Yeah a lot of me thinks I just have no real desire to go back (other than playing with friends who do still play). The other bit of me wonders if they had a lot of the stuff they have added / are adding for MoP would I have even got so burned out in the first place?  

News Comments > UE3 on WinRT
2. Re: UE3 on WinRT Aug 29, 2012, 13:20 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 13:05:
The future is looking bleak for apple. ^^

Wat? The Epic Citadel demo was released for iOS devices in 2010 and Infinity Blade (that was the name right?) shortly afterwards.

21. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 12:02 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:00:
Haha ok reading into this further I have to revise my earlier statement to be a bit harsher. Some of these changes sound dumb. Stuff like mana pools being capped and one talent from each line kills build diversity. The people who were calling this total homogenization seem to be correct. Also some of their changes just toss out all legacy support for the sake of it. Head enchants were just tossed and if you had one well tough.

Some of the game has evolved considerably over the years while other parts they just change arbitrarily to give people something new to dick around with before getting bored and repeating the cycle.

I am not sure how I feel about the talents now, but lets not pretend there was ever a lot of build diversity. Maybe in PvP, but not in serious PvE (unless that was a mid-late Cata or very late Wrath thing that I would not have been around for).

I was more talking about content and ways to access it than mechanics when I said I thought they were improving.

18. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 MattyC

They seem to be correcting a lot of what I felt was wrong/boring in Cata. Still not sure if I will go back, but they at least have my attention again.  

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
47. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 23, 2012, 11:42 MattyC

WaltC wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 09:37:
It's just too bad that Blizzard was able to use the name "Diablo III" in the first place, because that was the obvious driver behind the initial sales numbers, and for that Blizzard owes Brevik just about the whole enchilada; just about everything.

I don't think so, IIRC the original Diablo (prior to Blizzard) was a turn based game. Basically, left alone, there never would have been a Diablo in the sense that we know it today. So Blizzard hardly owes him 'the whole enchilada'. Not to mention pretending that Brevik always knows how to do it right and Blizzard doesn't seems to forget Hellgate.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
25. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:55 MattyC

Alpaca San wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:39:
MattyC wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:06:
Exactly, though oddly most of the people complaining about it really claimed to have loved D1 & D2. It was always an item drop hunt (or ladder grind if that was your thing). Not sure what games these people played, but they certainly weren't Diablo titles.

If you are implying that the quality, frequency, and fun factor of the drops in Diablo 3 approaches the quality, frequency, and fun factor of drops in Diablo 1&2, you certainly have never played an earlier Diablo title.

Played through D3 3.5 times, and I have found exactly 3 interesting items, and I'm wearing none of them since they were all for other classes. I bought my current gear at the shop since I could not survive any longer with the gear I have found. I have had >150% MF most of the time I'm playing.

TL2 might come out soon!

What? I was responding to people asking for an 'endgame'.

As for the items, they know they are bad and they are fixing it. That said, good items found in any Diablo game are always for the other classes. It is the unbreakable rule of Diablo... or was that just my luck?

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
17. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 17:06 MattyC

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:59:
Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:03:
So the new endgame is... grind 100 more levels?

Creston

By going always online and shit they seemed to make people think this is an MMO, but it's not is it? I don't know why people expected an "endgame" in the first place.

Exactly, though oddly most of the people complaining about it really claimed to have loved D1 & D2. It was always an item drop hunt (or ladder grind if that was your thing). Not sure what games these people played, but they certainly weren't Diablo titles.

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews
10. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews Aug 17, 2012, 12:45 MattyC

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:16:
I'm loving those WD changes, having most recently invested in some thorns/regen equipment to really get deep into a pet-centric build (that was supposed to be viable in late Inferno anyway, so now should be really awesome with the buffs). And the base mana regen increase? Holy shit that's huge. Of course people are whining all over the comments because the trade-off in Vision Quest "breaks the 4-cooldown build, boohoo!" Meanwhile, that was the worst fucking mechanic in any ARPG ever, especially combined with the major resource imbalance that previously plagued the class. Who the hell wants to be all but forced to carry 4 throwaway skills in order to keep the mana flowing for your one damage dealer? Good riddance, I say.

Yep. Vision Quest, was a bad idea. "Instead of using my abilities skillfully, I will just mash them whenever they are up even if they are hardly useful at the time!". I also can't help but feel non-VQ WD mana regen was limited just to try and balance VQ bear WDs.

Again they addressed pretty much all of my complaints.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 13:24.

News Comments > More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews
3. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Class Previews Aug 17, 2012, 12:10 MattyC

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:02:
I was pretty curious to see the Witch Doctor preview, but now I'm even less interested. It sounds to me like their answer was just give WD's more mana regen, and to nerf zombie bears.

Different things for different people, I guess, but they addressed every issue I have with the class. Now if they can actually fix those issues or not is another matter, but they did speak to pretty much everything.

Not sure why you only got mana regent out of that unless you just flat didn't read most of the post. Also they are nerfing VQ (not direct zombie bears) and that is fine because that was a stupid mechanic to begin with / had a lot to do with what was wrong with the WD.

News Comments > EA Exploring Sale?
29. Re: EA Exploring Sale? Aug 17, 2012, 10:57 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 22:39:
killer_roach wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 22:27:
Kosumo wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 21:40:
Anyone from Vegus here? What are the odds on of Notch buying E.A. by 2025?

My guess? EA won't exist in its present form by 2025. Talk is that EA wants to go private, and, if they're bought by a private equity firm, they'll likely be disassembled and the constituent parts would likely then be sold off.

What "constituent parts" do you think there are, and what value do you think they have? Do you think they're going to sell Westwood and Origin separately?

Westwood has not existed in a very very very long time. EA never held any intention of saving that, just their IP (to slowly destroy).

News Comments > C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer
57. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 16, 2012, 00:29 MattyC

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:53:
MattyC wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 20:58:
Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 20:30:
It's not 'missing out' if I don't like the feature to begin with. To be clear it's not just Generals - I get no enjoyment out of multiplayer games in general; I'm a singleplayer gamer exclusively except for the odd Left 4 Dead or Payday the Heist coop game.

Just curious, but why do you not enjoy multiplayer. I like single player games too, but still... most of the best moments I have had in gaming have been multiplayer or at least co-op.

That's a good question - one I'm sure you'll be sorry you asked once you read my answer!

I'm not a competitive person by nature, and in fact will totally psych myself out to the point that I offer no challenge whatsoever to the competition, even if I may otherwise be a better player. Reflexes are another thing - whether it be a FPS or a RTS, I think and react too slowly to ever win anything. Even in Turn-based games, where reaction time is not an issue, I can't compete. Furthermore, I feel multiplayer removes the fun factor of the game; it's no longer about having fun but about "winning". For me, it's all about the journey. Then there's the lack of a cohesion between matches - I like the immersion into the game universe that singleplayer campaign provides and multiplayer completely misses altogether.

I could go on, but that ought to be enough.

Did EA not have faith that they could sell this at a $50 price range?

Well CnC 4 was an unmitigated disaster, so I'm thinking maybe they don't.

Not sorry at all, it was an interesting answer. I was seriously curious. I have ladder nerve issues in SC2, for example, so I can kind of relate. I guess I am just a semi-competitive person at the end of the day. I never take it too seriously, but I like to compete for fun, so that has a factor for me. That said, I can relate to never getting super competitive people. For me it is just something to go after that gives you drive for the game.

It has never been some highlander 'there can only be one' sort of deal I mean I have lost games that I had a ton of fun in just because they were good games.

52. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 20:58 MattyC

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 20:30:
It's not 'missing out' if I don't like the feature to begin with. To be clear it's not just Generals - I get no enjoyment out of multiplayer games in general; I'm a singleplayer gamer exclusively except for the odd Left 4 Dead or Payday the Heist coop game.

Just curious, but why do you not enjoy multiplayer. I like single player games too, but still... most of the best moments I have had in gaming have been multiplayer or at least co-op.

17. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:02 MattyC

I can't say for sure as I obviously have not played it, but I feel there is roughly a 99.9% chance of '*UGH* right in the childhood!'  

646 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo