Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 654 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches
56. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches Sep 25, 2012, 21:33 MattyC

coolkev99 wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 17:21:
Its popular to bash WoW these days, but its really not that bad. It just hasn't changed the formula much and now gone stale. Many of us have moved on. There are still those newer players and die-hards who still like it, but this game is slowly becoming irrelevant.

I have no idea if it will have any real staying power on me, but I had a friend convince me to pick up MoP and month worth of playing time and I am enjoying it so far. Best expansion since TBC if you ask me. I generally feel like I am exploring new places and fighting new monsters, not just slightly retouched old models and new areas that look more or less the same as the old. Additional in game cut scenes and voice acting also help (less - bah wall of text, whatever Ill just go to the spot on the map).

I am having a good time for now. I will see if that feeling stays at level cap though...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation
19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 16:27 MattyC

Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 16:02:
I don't see why they are waiting so long to go fully F2P.

DC Universe implemented F2P as soon as they realized a monthly sub wasn't going to work. The game still runs, and is even generating some money. I think it is because they didn't wait until everyone quit and the player base was so small that you couldn't make money off the in-game store.

Seems to me that Bioware/EA is counting on people to want to come back and give them a second chance....and with all the competition out there, I am not really sure that is going to work. Would have been smarter to go F2P while you still had most of the players' attention. Particularly given that the biggest complaints about the game revolve around endgame and PVP content...which are the only things to keep you playing after you complete a the story line. Even if people come back, how do you sell them anything in the in-game store if they leave again as soon as they wrap up their storyline?

I don't know, I am not a developer and I have zero experience in managing a project like that....but it just seems like one bonehead short-sighted decision after another.

They actually have a pretty reasonable number of high pop servers from what I have seen. Now how many of those players are free-to-15 like me vs paying users? No idea.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 09:54 MattyC

Boo, I was having fun with my F2P to 15 characters on a totally empty server. Then again I always wanted another KOTOR and not a MMO.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 MattyC

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:46:
Yeah, they've fumbled a bit. Expensive second tablet (+$150), no sensor bar...rumored $300+ price, based on Japan pricing...

It's not looking great this morning. The attraction to the wii was the cheaper price, and that it did something the other consoles didn't. For this version, it's close to the price of existing consoles, and does some of the same shit (motion, flailing around) that it's last version did.

Not a good start...

edit: Sensor bar may be back in... http://live.kotaku.com/

Wasn't the original NES big bundle close to $400 when adjusted for inflation? I mean I am not that interested in the Wii U, but I am also hardly flinching at that price.

Follow up: What cost $199.99 in 1988 would cost $363.77 in 2010. However accurate that is.

News Comments > WoW Screenshot Watermarks?
5. Re: WoW Screenshot Watermarks? Sep 11, 2012, 13:28 MattyC

Verno wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:47:
I can understand their motivation in wanting to catch hackers who posted screenshots to websites and whatnot. That said, it seems like a big security risk to attach the account info to something that's posted publicly. I'm sure there is a general ToS clause that covers their ass but it still seems pretty dumb.

Apparently you can defeat it by using a different screenshot quality or compression method.

From what I gathered in the Reddit thread it is mostly just fluff info. Nothing that would risk your account: old log in from before b.net / some string after b.net & WoW server ip.

EDIT: Looks like now people are saying it is just gibberish Blizzard uses internally either way.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 14:16.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway
36. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 17:46 MattyC

FloorPie wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:03:
Have they announced how much "part 2" will cost?

Just:

"We do view Heart of the Swarm as an expansion set, so for the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, we will price accordingly."

No hard price though.

31. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 16:33 MattyC

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:16:
MattyC wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 15:43:

If you ever watched a high level tournament you might realize it isn't just 'clicking a mouse and hitting a few keys *really* fast'...

Yeah, its clicking a mouse and hitting a few keys *really, really, really* fast. I recall seeing something about American "pro gamers" having to train themselves to press keys faster, because one of the distinct advantages of Koreans was they had a much faster PPM (presses per minute). Apparently its a huge deal, since shaving fractions of a second off your commands and such adds up to a lot over the course of a game.

Having a high APM / fast hands is only relevant if you also have solid well rehearsed strategies, good decision making, excellent multitasking, prepare well etc. Not only that but you need to do all of those things consistently. If the clicks are wrong no one cares how fast they are.

I know plenty of people with really high APM, but they won't be winning (or even attending) any tournaments.

28. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 15:43 MattyC

Flatline wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:52:
I still find the concept of "E-Sports" to be highly amusing and suspect.

Yeah yeah, south korea & starcraft, street fighter tourneys, etc etc...

I just find clicking a mouse and hitting a few keys *really* fast to not be a sport.

I'm waiting for the Spreadsheet Division to start up. Then you'll see some SERIOUS skills!

If you ever watched a high level tournament you might realize it isn't just 'clicking a mouse and hitting a few keys *really* fast'...

3. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Beta Underway Sep 5, 2012, 10:39 MattyC

About time. Now where is my key Blizzard? /angry shaking fist  

News Comments > Age of Conan Update Plans
5. Re: Age of Conan Update Plans Sep 3, 2012, 14:15 MattyC

Pete wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 14:01:
Would they bother to keep creating content for it if people did not play?

I dunno, you are asking about a team that released a game that was clearly incomplete. Incomplete to the degree that talents did not work etc. I don't think logic factors in to what they do.

^ Was burned by AoC. :*(

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
62. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:49 MattyC

I had written this off a long time ago, but if it is coming I could see this being awesome.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced
10. Re: Command & Conquer the Ultimate Collection Announced Aug 31, 2012, 11:51 MattyC

dheer wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:08:
netnerd85 wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:39:
as we deliver the next great Command & Conquer experience next year
Do ANY original fans of the series give two f*cks about the sh*t they dribble out now?
Nope. I don't think even they know what they're doing with the franchise any longer either.

I loved the C&C series and ate up anything released under that name for a long time. Tiberium Wars came out and I was like that was....ok and I still had some fun with it. Red Alert 3 was pretty much in the same boat. Then came Tiberian Twilight. I don't know what the hell happened. The game took everything that was great about the series and removed it. I wish I could remove it from existence, let alone my steam collection.

I hold a similar view. None of the stuff was the same once EA got into the mix, but it was at least tolerable. I still enjoyed the campy fun CG and Kane. Once C&C 4 came out I was like... nope... not doing this. I mean they made a C&C game where you don't even have bases. Who thought that was a good idea? Had they played any of the other C&C games?

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming
31. Re: Quoteworthy - Maxis on PC Gaming Aug 31, 2012, 11:45 MattyC

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 19:36:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 05:06:
Unfortunately, D3's 6+ million sales don't really suggest that consumers are against always-online DRM. Rather, it suggests that they don't care about DRM at all provided that your game has sufficient hype and marketing.

I would say people hate DRM when it doesn't work, but don't care when it does. If Diablo 3 launched smoothly I would agree no one cared, but since it had a rough first week I would guess some people who normally wouldn't care might be a little wary of future always online requirements, at least for a little while.

Probably not though.

Honestly those of us worried about DRM and game preservation are so in the minority I am surprised publishers ever comment on the matter at all.

Game preservation worries for B.net titles is more than a little unfair. You can still login to Diablo 1 last I tried. That is from 1996. Blizzard could always change, but as of now they have a long record of backing their online services.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patched
29. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 13:36 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 10:44:
Oh, I don't know -- I even had fun in the suppression room, and I was doing it as a Paladin most of the time. And as you mentioned, there wasn't THAT much trash. Heck, the instance started out with two boss fights and no trash. (Or am I remembering it wrong?)

You remember it right. It was Razorgore and then Vael (no idea if I am spelling those correctly) right at the start. Some of the trash could be really fun. You had those mobs that took extra damage to certain types of magic and, IIRC, you could also take their resists into negative values with curse of shadow and curse of elements. This could lead to some insane crit damage.

27. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 30, 2012, 10:29 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 21:26:
Yeah, the BWL trash was tough, but it was also fun. At least I thought so. You forgot Naxxramas which was excellent. I was so happy in WotLK when they revamped/re-released it. That was awesome.

Other than the suppression room (which suuuucccckkkkkeeedd) BWL is still one of my favorite raids. Ignoring the SR it really didn't have that much trash.

23. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 13:33 MattyC

Yeah a lot of me thinks I just have no real desire to go back (other than playing with friends who do still play). The other bit of me wonders if they had a lot of the stuff they have added / are adding for MoP would I have even got so burned out in the first place?  

News Comments > UE3 on WinRT
2. Re: UE3 on WinRT Aug 29, 2012, 13:20 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 13:05:
The future is looking bleak for apple. ^^

Wat? The Epic Citadel demo was released for iOS devices in 2010 and Infinity Blade (that was the name right?) shortly afterwards.

21. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 12:02 MattyC

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2012, 11:00:
Haha ok reading into this further I have to revise my earlier statement to be a bit harsher. Some of these changes sound dumb. Stuff like mana pools being capped and one talent from each line kills build diversity. The people who were calling this total homogenization seem to be correct. Also some of their changes just toss out all legacy support for the sake of it. Head enchants were just tossed and if you had one well tough.

Some of the game has evolved considerably over the years while other parts they just change arbitrarily to give people something new to dick around with before getting bored and repeating the cycle.

I am not sure how I feel about the talents now, but lets not pretend there was ever a lot of build diversity. Maybe in PvP, but not in serious PvE (unless that was a mid-late Cata or very late Wrath thing that I would not have been around for).

I was more talking about content and ways to access it than mechanics when I said I thought they were improving.

18. Re: World of Warcraft Patched Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 MattyC

They seem to be correcting a lot of what I felt was wrong/boring in Cata. Still not sure if I will go back, but they at least have my attention again.  

News Comments > Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future
47. Re: Jay Wilson Apologies for Diablo III Comment; Discusses Game's Future Aug 23, 2012, 11:42 MattyC

WaltC wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 09:37:
It's just too bad that Blizzard was able to use the name "Diablo III" in the first place, because that was the obvious driver behind the initial sales numbers, and for that Blizzard owes Brevik just about the whole enchilada; just about everything.

I don't think so, IIRC the original Diablo (prior to Blizzard) was a turn based game. Basically, left alone, there never would have been a Diablo in the sense that we know it today. So Blizzard hardly owes him 'the whole enchilada'. Not to mention pretending that Brevik always knows how to do it right and Blizzard doesn't seems to forget Hellgate.

654 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo