Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Starter Edition
20. Re: Diablo III Starter Edition Aug 15, 2012, 12:50 MattyC

Shok wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:49:
I would like to think the inevitable Diablo 3 expansion will be a terrible failure but some people just buy Blizzard games no matter what so they'll get their 5 million sales again. Sheeple...

I don't think D3 was an amazing game by any stretch. It was also somewhat less than I would expect for a Blizzard title. That said, seriously? Most people, including the whiners, got over 100 hours out of the title, so it obviously wasn't that bad. People will certainly play things for a bit even after they have stopped having fun with them if they hope it will become fun later, but not for 100+ hours...

EDIT: Also, people really still use 'sheeple'?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease
7. Re: FINAL FANTASY VII PC Rerelease Aug 15, 2012, 00:21 MattyC

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 23:58:
beigemore wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 23:49:
MIDI music can be pretty awesome with the right hardware or soundfont/banks loaded.
It's getting the right banks though. But yeah, there's something special about midi music, especially on a really good soundfont set. Nothing really beat the old awe64 and Yamaha sets, they were great.

Yep. I have often found midi music can be quite good and memorable. I have fond memories of many CT, FF6, & FF7 songs. It is really crazy what people did with the audio tech of the era even not on PCs. What they did on PCs was often even better, but both were great.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pre-purchases
30. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pre-purchases Aug 8, 2012, 17:28 MattyC

A lot of talk about pointer on head and the first shot being accurate had me thinking. I haven't played CS in a long time and I haven't played it seriously in a REALLY LONG TIME (like way before Steam), but I remember many guns not working like that. Like I thought it was the AK you actually aimed right above someone's head? Could be just remembering it wrong.  

News Comments > Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled
16. Re: Final Fantasy VII PC Released and Pulled Aug 6, 2012, 15:22 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 15:14:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:33:
The original PC release was bug filled? Really? I must have played it oh I dunno 40 or 50 times and never came across a bug, outside of the same bugs that existed on the PS platform.

I played through it on PC a few times back around when it came out and never had a problem, either. Never heard about it being buggy before.

IIRC it didn't have that many issues if you played it when it came out. It was trying to get it running later on newer PCs/OSs that was iffy.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M
16. Re: Activision Blizzard Financial: WoW Subs Drop to 9.1M Aug 2, 2012, 22:47 MattyC

dheer wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:31:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:25:
Make the game more like TBC/Wrath and they'd draw people back.
Do that and drop the 15 bucks a month and I'd be interested.

Monthly fees that high don't square with how slowly they release new content. I'd rather just try a free to play game or hell, buy a selection of year old games durng a steam for the same amount.

I agree they should lower the price, WoW is fairly old now. That said, I don't think anyone reasonable expects it to be free. That is a huge server backbone and I don' think they can pay people to develop new content with internet love. They need a monthly, but I do agree it would have to be reduced to get players like me back.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
71. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Aug 1, 2012, 11:06 MattyC

Ant wrote on Aug 1, 2012, 10:38:
... I would have payed them for a single player version of the game, it was the monthly fee and lame sounding end game I didn't care for. The questing itself, at least what I played in beta, was quite good.
Payed?

I.e. I just wanted another KOTR, but I would have settled for a single player WoW with a StarWars theme. I had fun with the SWTOR beta *shrug*. Ill take this for free, but I would have payed for a non-MMO. I just wasn't interested in their end game or really a new MMO. I had no issue with paying for the game, I just didn't want a monthly fee when I didn't care about the MMO bits at all.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2012, 11:14.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
66. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Aug 1, 2012, 10:24 MattyC

D_K_night wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 23:00:
Closed Betas wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:54:
Icewind wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:47:
The MMO has been dead as a genre for years. I know, tell me how everyone and your mother plays WoW and that Guild Wars was bluesnews.com's special game...but you know WOW is only popular due to gamer peer pressure and GW is, well...an old folks game.

The genre is dead.

Now can we make some singleplayer games for fuck's sake?

Sorry, you are just way off base. The problem is the approach of making the game, cookie cutter quest storyline character development, with no true combat, catering to the young player, with no clue how to create an economy or spending time on itemization. This is why they are all choosing the BIG NAME IP's, as its a easy cash out...
Nothing short of big suits, sucking up dollars with no real care for the products... Technology will advance and this will change..

As for single player games.. SWTOR is a single player game.. lol...
So was Age of Conan, so is just about everything else.
Why its online is anyone's guess.. Until a game removes solo'ing ability from the MP games, they will suffer and the game communities will fail because it gives a reason to be a douche.. If you needed others, you'd think twice about how your acting in game.

Let this be a lesson to any other would-be MMO makers.

1) Please don't purposefully exclude essential things like combat logs, dungeon finder/raid finder

2) Please don't spend a freaking fortune on voice acting which all but obliterated your budget. Everyone just space-bar'ed through it anyways(the second time around).

3) Think carefully before you hemorrhage cash on a brand name like Star Wars. Kotick ended up being right along, and that kills us.

4) Please make an auction house equal to, or better than, wow's AH. And yes D3's AH SUCKS. WoW's auction house is the standard - make yours either the same or better.

Without the voice acted quest bits I am not sure what the point of the game would be. I had fun with it in beta and play to play the F2P version. I would have payed them for a single player version of the game, it was the monthly fee and lame sounding end game I didn't care for. The questing itself, at least what I played in beta, was quite good.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 11:41 MattyC

Verno wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 11:35:
Yeah I got mine from twitter by following them and sending a few messages. I know some other people didn't have the same luck though so I'd keep an eye for websites who might have keys to give away.

I have had no luck with Twitter so far, but I hope that changes. I have been looking forward to PS2 for a while now.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
5. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 11:00 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:52:
Since when does freedom mean everything is free?

While I don't really care about the issue, I do not think that was the argument. This is freedom to modify/inspect/redistribute/etc. Like open source, not free as in doesn't cost anything.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 30, 2012, 13:17 MattyC

Creston wrote on Jul 30, 2012, 11:15:
Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:48:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 22:20:
Really would like to know the sales figures for Skyrim per platform.
Its entirely up to beth if they wish to release that info.

They won't, because then they'd get hammered by their PC fans. They want to keep saying the PC sells like shit, so they can keep getting straight cash from Microsoft for the Xbox shit.

If they admitted the PC actually sold more than well enough to warrant an actual PC game rather than a port, they'd have to give up their precious console. Far easier to keep pretending the consoles outsell the PC and keep programming for the lowest common denominator.

Creston

Um what? This makes no sense at all. Why? If they said the PC was the highest selling version they are still free to make console versions. To the best of my knowledge no Illuminati NWO lizard men would come and force them to only make PC games... Clearly effort was put into the PC version. They chose release for several platforms because that makes the most money by making it available to everyone. It was not some 1/2 assed port.

If the PC was making them so much money that consoles were detracting then they would just release PC only games. They are a company trying to make money not a cult. I have no idea where you got such a... bizarre idea from.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
19. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:51 MattyC

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

To be fair the first Mass Effect was really pretty good. It had some rough edges, but it was solid overall. The series did seem, at least imo, to go downhill from there though.

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
7. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 MattyC

Verno wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 11:46:
I think the addition of flying mounts did more to harm the game than it helped.

I dunno. It harmed world PvP to be sure, but otherwise I think it was totally positive. Travel time isn't really fun, and it is usually just left to artificially inflate game length. I probably would have quit long before I did without flying mounts.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Video; Campaign Mode Announced
1. Re: Shadowrun Online Video; Campaign Mode Announced Jul 25, 2012, 11:48 MattyC

If done well this could be very interesting. I never played 'actual' Shadowrun, but I loved the Genesis and (to a lesser degree) SNES games world.  

News Comments > Penny Arcade Adventures New Episode & Free DLC Plans
1. Re: Penny Arcade Adventures New Episode & Free DLC Plans Jul 23, 2012, 22:08 MattyC

I still haven't managed to play 3 yet (though I have picked it up), but I can still say yes to free DLC

I enjoyed 1 and 2. I really liked the art style of 1 and 2, and I miss the player character, but 3's style seems to have a charm of its own.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
9. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 10:23 MattyC

deqer wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:08:
Does anyone care about any news on D3

You obviously do. As do others. A D3 thread is always int he popular threads bit.

Verno wrote on Jul 19, 2012, 10:14:
Its a love hate thing with D3, currently Im on hate mode. Im pissed with all the shitty design decision, but the game has potential to be great, if they deliver on some of those promises.

Yeah that's how it is with me too. Sounds like some steps in the right direction. The whole alternative to the item hunt bit is silly though. Their item hunt implementation is what was flawed, people don't need raids or something. Collecting the items in a rigidly defined way by Blizzard wasn't fun and the items themselves weren't very worthwhile either, that was the issue. Hopefully they add a huge number of new items with interesting abilities and mods, not just a handful of legendaries or something.

In the future they really need to beta test this shit. Any prolonged beta test would have exposed a lot of these problems and the games launch would have been a different story. The game had some of the old Blizzard polish but had so many glaring design flaws and other issues that were really frustrating. I'm not as upset as some other people seemingly are but I have to admit this whole debacle harmed the Blizzard brand a bit with me.

On the other hand if this was just Activision alone the game would be dropped without fixes so I have to give them credit for listening to feedback and making the effort.

That is the way it has been with me as well. I am currently in the love mode though. I switched to a DH and am having a good bit of fun. I want to go back to my WD, but I will wait till they buff/fix that class. Previously I was in full hate mode and not playing the game unless friends bugged me to play with them.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2012, 10:04 MattyC

Why are the 1860s a birth date option on Bethblog?  

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
14. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 12:12 MattyC

wonkawonka wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:36:
I have no idea what the cheating is about, but it must be really rampant (and bots must be ruling the roost) because prices in the AH are insane for a normal player, and drops rates are epsilon (and drops are crap anyway).
I played 75 hours, much of it at level 60, quite a bit of it on inferno, and I have YET TO SEE A DROP BETTER THAN YELLOW.

Needless to say I stopped playing.

At 75 hours you either leveled crazy fast or you didn't spend that much time in inferno.

As for the AH, why use it? Farming for items more or less is Diablo. Drops do need to be buffed (they are working on that) but atm yellow more or less is the best.

If anything I would say paranoia from their history with WoW, not a lack of testing lead to most of the negative aspects of the game. They seem far too concerned with hardcore players blasting through the content and burning out. That resulted in overtuned champ packs with underwhelming drop rates.

The game is nothing amazing, but it is hardly a mess either. With the amount of time I have played / fun I have had, it would be absurd to suggest I didn't get my $ worth.

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 12:00:
ASeven wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:38:
Being online-only sure has taken care of all the cheaters and bots and exploits, right??

Ask Krowen, I think he's the single person who bought into that line of bullshit.

Vs D1 or D2 the cheating/exploits have indeed been minimal. Not sure why you ever thought being online only would do a single thing about bots. You are aware of MMO bots yes?

News Comments > UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year
17. Re: UE4 Fortnite PC Release Next Year Jul 13, 2012, 09:44 MattyC

Omni wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 09:16:
Epic can suck my balls, epic is nothing but a whiny bunch of greedy cunts there goes where the money is.
Fortnite is prolly not even worth pirating.

Yeah, screw those guys that gave us solid editors, mod support, and free mini-expansions. I am totally not going to even pirate their game. What jerks!

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
53. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 13, 2012, 09:40 MattyC

This is beyond strange. Usually people on Blues are hating all over games and I am defending them. Here people are... ok with Ultima 9? I posted a link to the whole series review earlier, but this more or less sums up what I think about Ultima 9. If that is too long for you then this is an excellent short review of U9.

Seriously though, I cannot think of another game that was such a... well... betrayal of fans besides C&C 4.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
46. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 20:57 MattyC

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 19:30:
Really now, EA is doing Ultima fans a favor. After this is released EVERYONE will be able to agree on which Ultima is the worst. It'll bring the community together.

I dunno, were we not all in agreement that 9 was really really bad? The review of 9 isn't finished (that I linked earlier) but it really sums up my feelings on the game.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo