Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month
23. Re: BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month Apr 4, 2013, 17:35 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 17:19:
Tired of game after 6 years

I am sure my taking a break for pretty much all of Cata impacted how much I like MoP. I got just far enough in that to start running heroics, realized I was done, and was more or less on break until a while after MoP launched. I think that even if someone hadn't been on break they would still feel this expansion is one of the better ones.

I wouldn't recommend you buy it, but if they give you some free time you might want to give it a try. It really renewed my interest in a game I hadn't really been that into since probably early - mid Wrath.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month Apr 4, 2013, 17:12 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 17:00:
I listed it as a contributing factor, not the main cause. And I said the skill changes were the bigger reason. At some level you're right, cartoons are cartoons. But everything has it limits and the pandas seemed to cross the line. Remember, they actually did them as an April's Fools joke prior to this....

Ah. I misread that to be more like 50% Pandas 50% talent tree. The talent tree thing I disagreed with on principle, but in reality I haven't really noticed. In that past there was almost always a 'best' build that almost everyone stuck with (with a few relatively rare exceptions) so it didn't change much in game.

I just felt that they did a really good job this time with the instances, zones, art, music, and questing. It really felt like an expansion to me, whereas Cata felt like a lame content patch (at least the max level stuff). Some of the low level redos for Cata were excellent, but out of the higher level content I think the brief novelty of Vashj'ir and the Harrison Jones and Commander Schnottz quests are really the only fun things I remember about Cataclysm.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
59. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 16:48 MattyC

game could and should be as big as Skyrim.

So it is safe to say that they know nothing about Doom as a series.

19. Re: BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month Apr 4, 2013, 16:43 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 15:17:
the silliness of the pandas

I will never get this. At what point was WoW super serious? It has always had pop culture and little silly things all over it. But no, Pandas (that were in WC3) somehow ruins it? Different things for different people and all, but that seems pretty extreme.

It is still WoW, which is an old game at this point, but MoP incredible compared to Cata. I would say best expansion since TBC.

News Comments > Source Engine Steampipe Conversions
6. Re: Source Engine Steampipe Conversions Apr 2, 2013, 19:55 MattyC

Verno wrote on Apr 2, 2013, 10:11:
Day of Defeat, le sigh. My favorite mod which languished after Valve bought the IP, I've never seen a community dry up so quickly.

I miss 3.1

A version of it exists for Steam, but I don't think I have ever seen an active, real server for it unfortunately.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Getting Rebranded?
2. Re: XCOM Shooter Getting Rebranded? Mar 27, 2013, 21:14 MattyC

I was happy with Enemy Unknown, but this? Unless they have made massive changes I can't see myself being interested.  

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend
7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Free Weekend & Sale Mar 21, 2013, 11:03 MattyC

This is just what I have been waiting for on NS2. I really had fun with the mod, but was unsure of this release. Getting to actually try it to decide is perfect. I had just seen too many mixed comments / reviews to buy it without a test.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 20, 2013, 22:33 MattyC

If you haven't picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown it is a great game. Not without some bugs, but overall a solid release.  

News Comments > Alice 3 Possibilities Raised
9. Re: Alice 3 Possibilities Raised Mar 14, 2013, 11:39 MattyC

dheer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:17:
I guess I'm in the minority but I loved both Alice games. Madness Returns, while repetitive in some spots, felt like a solid step forward.

I'd back it on kickstarter, no doubt.

I never played the second, but I really enjoyed the first. Another title in the series could be interesting.

News Comments > Numenera Details
4. Re: Numenera Details Mar 12, 2013, 16:49 MattyC

I am trying to not get super excited for this until it has shown more progress, but I don't think it is working. Everything seems to, at least for now, confirm that it will be great.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
53. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 16:47 MattyC

Darks wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 16:33:
They purposely give you limited resources and force you to expand. They also made defense practically useless. Most of the time when being rushed, your defense fall faster than units. Most defenses felt like they were made of paper. They get ripped through so fast.

This is what turned me off about SC and why I will never go back to it.

Blizzards track record recently is 0 - 2

Wait you view these as negatives? One base, unlimited resource, turtle play sounds really unappealing to me, though others may disagree. I just see zero excitement there with nothing to force you to do anything but sit in your base until you are maxed out. Deciding when to take an expansion and where to keep your units for defense is a core element of the game.

As for the defenses they always seemed to do what they were designed to do for me. People use bunkers, spines, cannons all the time. They aren't designed to replace your units though.

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 15:15 MattyC

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

I dunno, maybe it is just a luck thing, but I prefer macro games and I generally play macro games. I just don't see a lot of rushes. Were you playing 1v1 or team games? I do remember playing a lot vs people who would all in rush in low level 2v2s with a friend of mine who never really got past the lower tiers. That can be particularly frustrating on maps where you are in 2 separate bases. Mid range 1v1 I generally play longer games.

If you are playing on the ladder you have to deal with all styles of play, it is a competitive thing and people want to win. I am interested to see if the non-ranked ladder ends up being much more casual.

That said, if you want to make sure there is no rushing, try to find people in some of the lobbies and do a 'No rush <time limit> game. Stuff like that has been going around since BW, I am sure there would be some takers. I prefer long games, but don't mind the rushes all that much. If every game was a fully upgraded 200/200 army bash it would be just as boring as every game being a rush.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:06 MattyC

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:42:
No I have, and every mp game boils down to who can base rush quickest. Hardly what I would call fun for a strategy game.

Most people are going to give you a poke pretty early but calling that 'base rush' is silly. They are just just getting a look at what you are doing and making sure you aren't getting away with risky play. If they can break you there, sure, they will, but there is no reason the game can't continue to a long macro game.

Most of my games are around 30-40 'Blizzard minutes' (they really need to change that - terrible idea). What level were you playing at?

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 MattyC

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:13:
m00t wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:54:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:20:
Sempai wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:03:
Sure wish they'd allow me to move that damned camera out a little..

Adjustable camera in an RTS? That's so 2004 on! How dare you expect Blizzard to innovate rather than rehash the same 10 year+ old starcraft with a new subtag line? Heresy!

Or pulling the camera out in multiplayer gives you a huge advantage, but hey why let balance get in the way of your bashing.

lol balance in a blizzard RTS where 99.9% of the games played are over in under 10 minutes. Balance is the last thing I'd worry about in their RTS'es.

Based on your comments I am pretty sure you never actually played SC2.

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 MattyC

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:39
uick! RUSH to give Blizzard more of your money!

Creston [/quote:

I will. I loved Wings of Liberty multiplayer, both spectating and playing. The campaign was also enjoyable. D3 didn't really live up to expected levels of Blizzardy goodness, but StarCraft is still solid in my book.

EDIT: I have no idea what is broken or how I ended up with 2 posts.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 11:18 MattyC

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:39
uick! RUSH to give Blizzard more of your money!

Creston [/quote:

I will. I loved Wings of Liberty multiplayer, both spectating and playing. The campaign was also enjoyable. D3 didn't really live up to expected levels of Blizzardy goodness, but StarCraft is still solid in my book.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
25. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 16:36 MattyC

Good to see they are still working on bugs. I had a really good time with Skyrim, but I started playing it again recently and found I had forgotten how buggy it was.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm 24 Hour Launch Party
8. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm 24 Hour Launch Party Feb 28, 2013, 13:13 MattyC

Zadig wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 08:03:
Another game that I forgot existed because it isn't on Steam or Amazon downloads.

You are aware that Blizzard has digital downloads right?

News Comments > Deus Ex Movie Details
30. Re: Deus Ex Movie Details Feb 21, 2013, 20:07 MattyC

Verno wrote on Feb 21, 2013, 08:55:
There's also a really awful looking COH movie coming out that's direct to dvd starring Tom Sizemore and Vinnie Jones.

I am sure it will end up being bad, but with Neal McDonough, Vinnie Jones, and Tom Sizemore I am hoping it will at least have some campy enjoyability.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Crysis 3; Review Roundup Feb 19, 2013, 21:10 MattyC

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2013, 19:42:
I watched some twitch.tv of the single player and while it looks impressive the gameplay just seems a bit flat

really good looking demo for CryEngine 3 though.

That sort of sums up how I felt about every Crysis title. That and this.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo