Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 646 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
11. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 14:09 MattyC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 13:42:
MattyC wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:53:
It is your loss.

No, it really isn't. It's a formulaic retread of a game you already bought and paid for more than a decade ago. It isn't a good story nor is it even a decent continuation of the original storyline.

The campaign was fine in WoL and quite good in HotS, but that isn't even really relevant. SC2 is about the multiplayer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II Birthday Party
3. Re: StarCraft II Birthday Party Jul 23, 2013, 09:53 MattyC

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:23:
Perhaps you’d like to level up the race you don’t play the least often. Now’s the time!"

Or play something else! Seriously, I was watching Total Biscuit's Dragon Commander video last night, and when he compared it to SC2, I thought "oh yeah, I never did get around to playing that..."

It is your loss. SC2 is pretty awesome.

News Comments > Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming
10. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 17, 2013, 09:33 MattyC

Flo wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 02:36:
I still don't get it: Why would I watch other people playing video games?

Well just watching people straight up playing a game wouldn't be that interesting, but there is much more than that on Twitch. They have tournaments and people providing commentary.

While I wouldn't ever really care to watch a ARPG to each their own. Twitch has quite a bit that I like to watch that others may or may not enjoy. I was really hoping Tivo would get a Twitch app.

News Comments > Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming
2. Re: Path of Exile Adds Twitch Streaming Jul 16, 2013, 22:36 MattyC

This wouldn't be my kind of game to watch, but it is still neat that they are adding the tech. Hopefully it inspires other devs to add it to games I do/would watch.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound
26. Re: Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound Jul 16, 2013, 16:29 MattyC

I hope this lives up to the hype. From some of the gameplay videos I have seen it looks like it will.  

News Comments > Epic Working on AAA Shooter
9. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:44 MattyC

It could be a MMO, but I am still hoping for a game that can largely be played online.

I guess I am just wanting it to be a new UT. I am sick of 'generic modern shooter where you level up in giant maps'. A new UT would be a breath of fresh air to me. The last one was actually patched into a pretty decent game even with the single player's issues. It is a pity they shoved it out when it clearly wasn't ready.

News Comments > Epic Working on AAA Shooter
2. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:15 MattyC

InBlack wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 08:50:
Unreal Online. Called it, twice already.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see them working on a MMO.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
35. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:05 MattyC

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:53:
Not impressed thus far. Pretty lackluster start.

My thoughts. The only thing on sale that I really want right now is Shadowrun, and it was at that price before.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2013, 21:53 MattyC

Anyone tried the Alice follow up?  

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
30. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 17:26 MattyC

So far I haven't really found any MOBA games interesting, but with it being free I see no reason not to give it a go. It looks like it has pretty neat art direction.

To be fair I think the biggest reason I didn't like HoN etc was the community, not the game(s). People who are in to these just seem to be an angry angry lot. TF2 (for the most part) has a great community and it is F2P on Steam, so hopefully DOTA2 will work the same way...

News Comments > World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed
11. Re: World of Warcraft PTR Updated - Microtransactions Confirmed Jul 9, 2013, 13:06 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:28:
Dagnamit wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:11:
Why would Blizzard go to a F2P model when subs are still pulling in $100 million+ per month?

They aren't and they never have been, although people throw that out there really often. The majority of their players aren't in a market that pays $15 a month to play; NA+EU numbers are more like around 3-3.5 million and have been dropping. The majority of active accounts in the game are in Asia and aren't paying a $15 a month fee to play the game.

They'd go free to play because they're bleeding subscribers this year, projected that they would continue to do so in their last earnings statement. F2P, like it or not, would revitalize the game with new players.

People are saying this is a F2P sign, but it just sounds like a move to get more people to buy premium pets/mounts and pay for a XP boost.

I don't know how it is now (I haven't had an active account in some time) but I saw tons of names I hadn't seen in years when I came back for MoP. That said they could have all since quit like me. While the carrot on the stick isn't really there for me anymore, MoP was a great expansion.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2013, 15:00.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 8, 2013, 13:25 MattyC

I assumed WebTV died out in the 90s. I had no idea it was still around or that Microsoft blew over $400 million on it.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2013, 16:04 MattyC

Panickd wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 09:35:
Wow, lots of nostalgia for a bad port of an old game there. But I think $12 is a bit much for FFVII no matter how good it was. I don't even think the PS1 Classics version I bought on my PS3 cost that much. Glad to see Rogue Legacy doing well though.

What is bad about it? Or do you just mean that they didn't add much? I was hoping it would go on sale soon so I could pick it up. I own copies of it for the Playstion and the PC, but my Playstation is packed away and the PC copy is almost impossible to run on a modern OS.

I thought it would be a fun replay for the nostalgia. I loved that game as a kid.

News Comments > WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?
28. Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 6, 2013, 00:10 MattyC

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 23:51:
MattyC wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 18:58:
Did you skip over MC?
Our guilds first Rags kill was rogues, plate, and healer resist only. All the other ranged DPS did without. When we got better at it, we were our servers first 2min Rags kill no resist gear, with only a touch of BWL gear.

Things like that, were fun. It's kinda like the night we had double binding drop. What burned my ass in all of vanilla raiding? I never had my T2 helm drop, and neither did any other mage in our guild. I got my T3 set completed before that and most had a mix of T2/3 before we saw our first helm fall.

Interesting. I was a Warlock back then (a pretty rare thing at least on my server) and I was needed as a banish bot for the second half of MC. As a result I more or less had a FR set before Rag just for that (those things could wreck you if you missed a banish). I guess I just remember farming FR for that and using it on rag because (and on the banish bot duties there).

News Comments > WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts?
21. Re: WoW Plans Microtransaction-fuelled XP Boosts? Jul 5, 2013, 18:58 MattyC

Trevellian wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 15:12:
I also don't recall ever needing resist gear for anything other than a few bosses in AQ40 and in Naxx, and it wasn't exactly tedious to do as most of it could be crafted half the time.

Did you skip over MC?

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
149. Re: Xbox One Announced Jul 2, 2013, 17:26 MattyC

MindStalker3 wrote on May 22, 2013, 08:00:
Flatline wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:59:
MindStalker3 wrote on May 21, 2013, 15:11:
I've been debating buying a 360 for a few months now to replace my almost dead original Wii (which is only used to stream Netflix/Amazon/Hulu). This news is exciting as the prices for 360 should start dropping again.

If you intend to stream netflix or hulu (don't remember if Amazon is streamable on the 360) be prepared to spend an extra 50 bucks a year.

Streaming services are only allowed for xbox live subscribers.

Which leads me to an interesting thought. How much of this mandatory new xbox stuff is going to require a 50 dollar a year subscription? I'm waiting for Microsoft to say "fuck it, Xbox Live subscriptions are mandatory now."

I'm unimpressed with the direction they're going with. 500 gigs isn't going to be enough for mandatory installations, if migrating xbox live IDs is anything like it is today the idea of playing at a friend's house is done (Let's face it- Rock Band sold an ungodly amount of systems)...

I might actually be leaning towards PS4 this generation if I go with a console.

Thanks I forgot about the subscription cost. Isn't the Live network significantly better than the PS3s network? If I'm looking for a media hub that also plays cheap used games (PS2 used games are starting to get harder to find) would I be better off with an Xbox360 of a PS3, I currently have a Wii and a PS2 (for playing cheap used games) that are both starting to die.

Live is better, but not really massively. It was so early one, but Sony has steadily improved their online service.

The 360 does have good apps for Netflix, youtube, and Twitch, but you can't access them without an active Gold account which is pretty lame. With the PS3 you get the Bluray player which is also something to think about. Not sure if this is still true, but I didn't mind the HDDVD dying off. I managed to get the 360 player and a lot of movies for almost nothing because of that. It isn't like the movies stopped working when Microsoft gave up on HDDVD.

I think overall the 360 had a few more solid exclusives if that matters to you.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize how old this comment was until after I posted. Feel free to delete. I would, but it says I lack permission.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2013, 22:50.

News Comments > Mac OS XCOM: Enemy Unknown
1. Re: Max OS XCOM: Enemy Unknown Jun 28, 2013, 00:10 MattyC

I don't really have any interest in grabbing this on OS X, but good to see a (mostly) great title ported. Hopefully this will also mean a Linux port if one isn't already in the works.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 26, 2013, 18:32 MattyC

I am glad it gets NASL back into things. I was worried they were going away. They may of had a rough start, but towards the end of last year they were really putting out quality content.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate III Battling Through "Legal Hell"?
7. Re: Baldur's Gate III Battling Trough Jun 24, 2013, 11:15 MattyC

InBlack wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:20:
I never even knew that somebody was developing a sequel

Neither did I. It apparently wasn't marketed all that well (or was so early in development that it wasn't ready for marketing). That said I hope they work this out. I would be interested in a BG3.

There are entirely too few CRPGs in the works.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 12:47 MattyC

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:23:
MattyC wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:06:
InBlack wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 10:47:
You can marketspeak all you want but the price difference is where its at. 100$ is nothing to scoff at. People are getting a better console for less money. Thats it.

I really don't know that the launch price matters all that much. Wasn't the PS3 like $600 at launch? I do agree that I think it is a mistake to sell it for that much, but I just don't see it as a fatal price point.

The PS3 also sold like shit when it came out. The true die-hards bought them, of course, but there were PS3s available everywhere. It led to Smedley saying something retarded like "I'll pay $1500 for every PS3 console that's on the shelf!" after which PA went past a few stores and made pictures of dozens of PS3s on shelves everywhere.

The PS3 was about the only console ever that didn't sell out immediately on launch.

Price is definitely, definitely important. Especially if you have a direct competitor who is markedly cheaper.

Creston

I was thinking more about overall. I think the PS3 eventually outsold the 360, didn't it? If they keep it much more expensive for a long time I am sure it will kill it.

And yeah they had a few good Sony roasts.

646 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo