Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 626 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 12:06 MattyC

InBlack wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 10:47:
You can marketspeak all you want but the price difference is where its at. 100$ is nothing to scoff at. People are getting a better console for less money. Thats it.

I really don't know that the launch price matters all that much. Wasn't the PS3 like $600 at launch? I do agree that I think it is a mistake to sell it for that much, but I just don't see it as a fatal price point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight
4. Re: GOG.com No DRM Sale Includes Free Torchlight Jun 18, 2013, 12:55 MattyC

A great way to pick up some old games. I have gotten several simply so I don't have to mess with finding the disc when I want to replay a classic.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 17, 2013, 14:35 MattyC

Xcom EU could be interesting on iOS, but not at that price point (at least for me).  

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Jun 14, 2013, 07:50 MattyC

Prez wrote on Jun 14, 2013, 07:16:
Remind me again what's so bad about Origin? To me it's like Steam with a different look.

What is a "Soldat on a boat?" Anyway, about Origin: Downloading games sucks for one thing. I downloaded BF2142 3 times (that's a bunch of GB and I pay if I go over my limit) and each time the install failed. The archiving system is terrible, while Steam's works flawlessly. When my friend bought me a SW:KotoR key, it took me 2 days to get it working because Origin kept telling me my sign-in was invalid even after I did the reset password dance multiple times and I know for a fact my credentials were correct. (What made it even worse is once I did get it working with EA Support's help I soon realized what a godawful game it was...). I have had other issues on top of these, amounting to a very unpleasant experience. Then there's the fact that I loathe EA because they are a terrible company and I would rather not use their service at all.

As far as Uplay goes, it basically works as advertised. The worst I can say about it is that it just feels unnecessary. And if you had no issues with Steam, you either didn't use it in the very beginning or you were very lucky. I used it when HL2 first released and it was HORRIBLE. To say that it has come a long way is a massive understatement, since it is far and away the best service out there now.

The early Steam was terrible. They massively upped the system requirements for Half-Life for no reason and that was assuming you could even sign in. The friend list never worked and there wasn't really much else you could buy with it so it was pretty pointless. Also they killed Day of Defeat (how a payed bunch of developers make something so much worse than a free mod is mind boggling).

That said, Valve had vision. They ended up creating my preferred way to get PC games. It had a rough start, but now it is awesome. I don't dislike Origin because it has issues, I just don't want to have a program on my PC for every developer that releases games. EA missed the boat and they just need to accept that. Steam is already here. If they want to do digital sales they should just take the Blizzard route and do direct downloads.

As of now I just uninstalled Origin. The only reason I even had it was for BF3 and I hadn't played that in a while. If they want me to consider it over Steam (highly unlikely considering how long it took them to launch Origin) they really need to do something impressive.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion in 2014?
36. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 13, 2013, 07:44 MattyC

I don't know, I rather like how skills work. Playing with different combos on the fly (yes, you o lose your NV) is actually one of the things I really like about D3. To me that is way better than a largely locked system like PoE. I just view that as antiquated and boring. Leveling 2 characters of the same class to max just to see the difference in a minor build variation doesn't sound like a game to me. That sounds like work.

Now the loot in D3? Yes that does need work.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
43. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 22:29 MattyC

Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 22:10:
Golwar wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 08:56:
Dev wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:26:
In the past couple generations there's not really been a clear winner in the console wars. Will there be this time?

Uh? What would you consider the PS2 to be, if not the clear winner for its generation?
Or is your "past couple generations" limited to just the very last generation?
No, I never really saw ps2 being a clear winner over xbox 1. Just my opinion. Like I said, I dislike consoles in general, it would have to be a heck of a difference (such as now) for me to notice or care about and decide one is a winner.

I don't really care one way or the other, but I think the PS2 was probably a clear winner over the Xbox. I think just in sales numbers, not opinion. I could be mistaken though.

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia it would seem I am not. It lists the PS2 with 155 million sold vs the Xbox's 24 million. I would qualify that as a heck of a difference.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2013, 07:48.

28. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 12:53 MattyC

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 09:20:
I would love to have been in on their meetings leading up to and including this week.

While these two polls are totally unscientific (think it was Lorcin who linked that first one?), the fact that both are so totally lopsided, and have been all day yesterday, is a serious red flag for the XBOne. If the public opinion is truly that split, this could very well be an utter disaster of billions of dollars for MS.

This is just an individual example, but I was firmly in the Sony camp until the 360. Most of my friends had a 360 and Sony wasn't really doing anything to keep me so I ended up with a Xbox and was pretty happy with it. This time? I either see myself passing totally on this generation or getting a PS4. I didn't feel that way until the details dropped.

Microsoft really messed up with the Xbox one in my opinion.

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 12, 2013, 07:46 MattyC

Sepharo wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 00:32:
These are being kicked off youtube left and right by "Viacom"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUzaqOU06M

Wow... MS seems impossibly unprepared for this announcement. I wonder if they somehow thought Sony was going to do something similar?

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2013, 08:44.

17. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 12, 2013, 07:40 MattyC

Redmask wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 07:31:
Linksil wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 02:15:
I think one of the problems is it's almost impossible to tell the player count. I mean there's no chat rooms. What chat there is randomly numbered to give you no idea of how many channels have people(vs D2). There always seems to be people playing, but the real numbers are so hard to figure out unless your blizzard. I expect the exp pack early 2014, if it does what the D2 exp pack did then a lot of people will forget about the last year of complains, except those on here and redit will still complain. Even without it the QOL in D3 is a lot better then a year ago.

Yeah, there is never any sense you're part of a bigger community playing the game. They needed proper lobbies like D2.

To be fair I can see why they didn't bring them over to D3. The lobbies were roughly 99.995% AFK people and spam bots.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 11, 2013, 22:46 MattyC

wtf_man wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 21:04:
Sony: PS4 consumer interest is great, launch supply issues possible

EAT THAT, M$!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!

While I would agree it seems like Microsoft really wants Sony to win this generation of the console war, supply issues have been a problem for Sony in the past. That and the whole I thought we had moved past the M$ thing...

9. Re: Diablo III Expansion in 2014? Jun 11, 2013, 22:36 MattyC

SM0k3 wrote on Jun 11, 2013, 21:12:
the game will be way down on active players by then. Maybe they meant 2013 *shrugs*

Maybe it was just a lot of people like me seeing what Blizzard had done with the game, but when I came back after the last patch there seemed to be a lot of players.

I haven't played in a while now so it could have died down since then, but I was getting into maxed player games almost instantly on a variety of level characters. No idea if any of those people are still active or if they had actually been active prior to the patch. They could have all just been curious players like me looking to see what was fixed and what was still broken.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 11, 2013, 12:54 MattyC

The current MacPros have awesome looking cases, but I can't say I am a big fan of that redesign.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer Trailer; Beta Signups
2. Re: Command & Conquer Trailer; Beta Signups Jun 10, 2013, 22:29 MattyC

Just visually, it looks pretty good. That said, I don't know. The once awesome C&C series has just been dumped on by EA over and over. The last one didn't even have bases :/

The next generation of Command & Conquer will mark a return to the core gameplay that put the series on the map.

One can hope...

News Comments > Path of Exile Patched
10. Re: Path of Exile Patched Jun 6, 2013, 13:07 MattyC

Axis wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 12:47:
The game doesn't hand-hold and is filled with mechanics.

I may give it another go at some point (after all, the game isn't finished) but I played around with the Paladin and hated it. It felt much less like not holding my hand and much more like they just hadn't done a very good job designing the game.

I rather liked the way they did potions, but that was really one of the only positive aspects I remember from my play.

News Comments > Spawn of StarCraft II
7. Re: Spawn of StarCraft II Jun 5, 2013, 09:57 MattyC

Xero wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 09:41:
the Best Buy near me has 3 Collector Edition cases still sitting on the shelves in their PC gaming section

I think the PC gaming sections of well... pretty much every store are just graveyards anymore. I usually see collector or limited editions of most any game there well after release. They only seem to get a very limited number of titles and they don't ever really seem to move. I think most people go digital instead of B&M.

Plus collector's editions really only target hardcore fans. They all snagged it at launch. More casual players aren't going to pay the premium and with direct download it isn't that likely that they would even go to a store for it.

News Comments > DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer
22. Re: DuckTales: Remastered for PC This Summer Jun 5, 2013, 09:41 MattyC

Interesting. I had Quackshot as a kid, but I never knew there was a full on DuckTales game.

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 5, 2013, 09:07:
Did someone say Duck Tales? /shamelessplug

edit: After watching your video that game seems really familiar. I guess I played it as well. Might have been a rental. Either way thanks for the nostalgia.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2013, 10:05.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 29, 2013, 15:40 MattyC

Hopefully NASL continues its SC2 content. It had really shaped up to be an excellent league with lots of extra content. Pity if it has to close down because of WCS.  

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Early Launch Delays
6. Re: Marvel Heroes Early Launch Delays May 29, 2013, 13:09 MattyC

This early access is for those who coughed up $199.00 for The Ultimate Pack from the game's founder's program

Shocked Given the history of MMOs, those are some bold people. I felt really burned by paying retail for the mess that was Age of Conan. I couldn't imagine dropping $200 and hoping a quality MMO that will last comes out.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 29, 2013, 12:40 MattyC

I thought the Whimsyshire easter egg in D3 was a great jab at those people on its own. That said, they mostly ruined it by making it annoyingly hard to get to. The higher difficulties of it were also absurdly expensive given what was likely to drop there. Funny idea but weak implementation.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2013, 14:42 MattyC

Rumor: Gran Turismo 6 for PS3 this holiday.

Given the development time of the last one, I highly doubt this. Unless it is just some minimal upgrade from the previous release.

626 Comments. 32 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo