Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Drayth

Real Name Drayth   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 24, 2007, 04:01
Total Comments 683 (Apprentice)
User ID 36713

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs
6. Re: Fallout 4 Unfettered on PCs Jun 22, 2015, 13:45 Drayth

It seems to me that the current gen of consoles came out of the gate barely able to play current games well. And these things are supposed to have a cycle of 5 - 10 years. /shrug  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 13:49 Drayth

They're claiming that the expansion is worth $50. The base game isn't a factor in the pricing, they're just throwing it in.

Edit: Not saying I agree with this. But hey, I haven't followed anything concerning this expansion. If it adds twice the content, and revises the game mechanics to make it feel like a fresh new game that's totally addictive, well ok....
(I'd be willing to bet that's not the case)

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2015, 13:55.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
45. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 23:53 Drayth

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:45:
Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

Unfortunately Skyrim has a 4gig software limit. The game just doesn't make use of anything above that limit no matter what your card has.

34. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 19:32 Drayth

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 19:17:
you say they are great on the top end but not on the low end, since I am looking at the Fury which is a high end card, then freesync monitor should be fine?
Looks like ASUS is making a nice looking freesync IPS 1440p 144hz:
ASUS MG279Q link

Make sure you find out what range Freesync covers on that monitor. With Freesync you may buy a 144hz monitor, but then find out that Freesync only works within a range of 40 - 90hz on it. That's been the average so far, it should get better over time (it's dependent on how good of a scaler is used on the monitor).

edit - Fount it in the article 35 - 90 hz

30. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 18:45 Drayth

edit - nm, think I misread.  

22. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 18:14 Drayth

Redmask wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 17:46:
The other option is an Acer XB270Hu which I own but wouldn't recommend, I had to RMA it 3 times to get a decent panel, Acer QA is fucking ballsack.

Word on the streets is the vendors are now selling the May batch of the XB270HU and those are far more free of flaws (say that three times fast). I got an April one with zero issues (still feel like I got lucky). The initial March ones were a huge panel lottery.

They print the month it was manufactured on the box.

Edit - and yes, the monitor is goddam amazing. Even the anti-glare coating is great.

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
4. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:31 Drayth

That was fucking awesome.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
20. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 11:43 Drayth

Didn't they state around Skyrim's release that the same engine would be used one more time for a non-ES's game? Here it is....

As long as there's the usual open mod support, I'm happy.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
9. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 1, 2015, 18:25 Drayth

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 17:41:
Runner-up explanation: they made all those failed Classic Iron-man campaigns into canon. XD

haha! Sorry guys, my bad.

Looking forward to this.

News Comments > NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features
44. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 18:17 Drayth

Frame rates drop in large specific increments with vsync on once the FPS of the game drops below 60 (your computer is a slave to the refresh increments of the monitor). This can be mitigated by using triple buffering which probably explains the difference between what your friend is experiencing.  

23. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 12:40 Drayth

Frijoles wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 12:27:
Does it fuck with your mouse? I leave vsync off because of how it screws the mouse up and makes me want to punch something. Wouldn't mind getting rid of tearing, but not if my mouse feels like I'm dragging it through mud.

No, absolutely not. I know AMD had a slide comparing freesync saying that g-sync introduces latency, but someone measured that and it's minuscule. If you get a good monitor with g-sync, then you're good to go.

You can get vsync lag if you hit the monitor's top refresh, so I just use NVidia inspector to limit frames to just below my monitor's refresh. Or with the new drivers you now have the option for it to go into non-vysnc when it happens.

Games feel more responsive now, it's a huge boon for shooters (coming from a "vsync on" person).

18. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 11:31 Drayth

DrSquick wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 10:48:
Has anyone here ever seen a GSync monitor in person? I personally never notice tearing, and even in that video, it doesn't jump out at me or bother me.

I'm guessing this might be one of those things you need to see in person to understand it.

I'm using one. It's one of those things that once you move to it you're never going to want to go back to using a non-adaptive synch monitor. But then again I always played with vsync on before.. if you always play with vysnc off I guess it's going to be the same experience, minus the tearing.

8. Re: NVIDIA Launches GTX 980ti; New Drivers; & GSYNC Features Jun 1, 2015, 10:45 Drayth

No, 390x is a new card with HBM memory. It's big reveal is tomorrow (June 2'nd).

Everything else is a rebrand though.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patched
23. Re: The Witcher 3 Patched May 21, 2015, 15:30 Drayth

Someone posted in another forum that they turn on uber sampling for cutscenes. Slight grain of salt with that one, I haven't had time yet to play much.  

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
34. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 15:03 Drayth

Well that was just one of multiple sources, but ok.. There is a direct quote from AMD in what I linked stating it's not open source. And I've read that in multiple places, that was just a quick google search for my reply.

Sorry but I'm not going to bother reading any linus stuff, from what I remember from AMD presentations at the time they blatantly and repeatedly said they intend for it to become open and available to anyone, until they reach the point where they think it's ready for that they will continue working on it (in conjunction with certain partners and developers).

I've never read that AMD intended it to work out that way from the start. I do remember them saying in more marketing orientated presentations that Mantle's is not exclusive to AMD, then in separate smaller posts (like the one I linked originally) saying, oh sorry it's not open. Later, after hearing them say that Mantle is no longer relevant and has done what it's needed to do, and I agree fully with that last part, that now they've helped roll it over to the Kronos Group.

If what you said was their original intent, and my perspective is just the timing of the whole situation, more power to them... but the timing and how it played out is interesting.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2015, 15:30.

29. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 14:06 Drayth

Simon Says wrote on May 19, 2015, 10:21:
You have no idea how Project Cars works do you? If you do your research, you'll find that PhysX features can't be turned off, without PhysX, the engine can't run and only disabling a few would change the way the cars behave and thus you would have CHEATING. And what's more, in an earlier version, it worked fine, until Nvidia asked them to add more features related to physics into the game, then Amd's performance went to hell.

Seriously, do your research.
z

I hastily read this article this morning and thought this was in relation to Witcher 3 (after reading some uproar there yesterday on a different board). So my bad, I was talking strictly in terms of W3.

I did just read about Project Cars now though, and damn. They basically baked PhysX fully into the game (if what I read is accurate). That is a bad situation for AMD owners, no argument. It's unique though, and hopefully no one will follow suit.

23. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 12:01 Drayth

NetHead wrote on May 19, 2015, 11:07:

AMD's track record says otherwise, in regard to both hardware and software and standards.

Well, TruForm comes to mind off the top of my head.

Also, as for Mantle it basically became Vulkan, from what I know it's as open and available as OpenGL. It's also under the Khronos Group of which nvidia is a member.

That doesn't change the fact,
it was AMD only. Don't get me wrong, Mantle was one of the more awesome things AMD's done in recent times. It affected the industry enough to obsolete itself in no time, so yes it got merged. It was also a big factor in getting me to invest in a pair of 290x's, which brings me to...

...their drivers caused a massively bad stuttering problem in Crossfire if there was a dedicated sound card for some of us, so I couldn't use the second card for 4 months.

Along with constant black screens, and twice hearing the card's fans suddenly speed up to 100% (which was scary loud) a second or two after a game's menu screen popped up due to me tweaking display settings in the control panel / enb settings (and me yanking the power cord out of the wall as fast I could), I don't have the best impression of their drivers.

Sold those cards and moved back to nvidia about as fast as I could once the 900 series hit.

13. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 10:15 Drayth

So you have PhysX which only runs off the CPU in this game (I saw a post from an NVIDIA rep stating that even having a dedicated card, it will still only run off the CPU with W3). Everything else is optional, I believe.

So yes, they can't optimize those optional Gameworks features for AMD. Turn all those off and the game should run on the two sets of cards as evenly as anything else.

Also, I firmly believe that AMD is taking this open source route because they have to. It's their best way of competing against NV with their current low market share. If things were more 50/50 I'd bet they'd be a lot more protective of their own tech. Mantle, for example, never actually became open to NV (not that they would have implemented it).

News Comments > Cancelled DOOM Media
1. Re: Cancelled DOOM Media May 18, 2015, 21:02 Drayth

haha, scroll down 5 posts in the Doomworld Forum thread (youtube vid).  

News Comments > NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3
27. Re: NVIDIA Drivers for The Witcher 3 May 18, 2015, 15:37 Drayth

If you are one of the peeps who do not get headaches, motion sickness, etc from 3D Vision glasses, it's *very* hard to go back to 2D gaming once you've used it enough.

It took quite a few monitor advancements before I could completely move off it (which was very recent).

683 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo