Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Steve

Real Name Steve   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Styopa
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 28, 2007, 17:23
Total Comments 11 (Suspect)
User ID 35398

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
8. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 31, 2012, 12:47 Styopa

If it was a matter of cutting costs at EA (and not just a money-grab as a new sequel is coming out), then just enable peer-to-peer support, allowing the allegedly few people who still care about the game to run their own servers?

No, I thought not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Timothee Besset Leaves id
31. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Feb 1, 2012, 10:57 Styopa

iD deserves respect in the same breath that Microprose did, but those days are gone.

I'll always respect Carmack for what he truly invented. No question.
But his comments and drift toward developing essentially for PHONES? Really? Carmack's Angry Birds? Great....

I heard Rage was completely mediocre, so I didn't buy it. There's too much else worth spending my money on. But I would have bought it just for the engine and editing, but their foray into megatextures means that they cock-blocked everyone who ever enjoyed editing or mapbuilding. To me that was a HUGE mistake - that was the source of their success with Quake - hell, they brought the engine alone (quake itself was pretty mediocre) but everyone else brought the game(s): teamfortress, counterstrike, halflife (iirc that was built on a heavily-modded Q1 engine), etc.

For them to block those people out unless they have some gigantic renderfarm able to parse out 40g HD textures....well that was idiotic and narcissistic. Personally, I think the 'next big thing' for this sort of company is really building to this community - actually make modding easy, make rulesets (gravity, etc.) easy to tinker with, make building levels world-physics-intuitive, ie for a wood floor put planks together that are destructible, frangible, etc. based on energy input.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall
23. Re: The Lord of the Rings Online Expands This Fall Jan 25, 2012, 20:57 Styopa

eunichron wrote on Jan 25, 2012, 15:28:
"Grinding" is a part of MMOs. That is how you keep people playing, requiring X amount of time to receive Y reward. ...
I hope GW2 can fix that, but I'm remaining cynical about it.

The interesting thing is that GW2 *doesn't* need to do this.
Other MMOs need to keep you playing to keep you paying.
GW2 - you've paid, you're in and done. They have no need to drag your experience out except insofar as it's actually entertaining and rewarding.

I see LOTS of people hoping about GW2. I played WoW for 7 years, and had two accounts. I have heard the term tossed around for years, about AoC, WAR, etc, etc...but seriously, given the slope of WoW subscriptions, GW2 has the *potential* to be a WoW killer.

News Comments > World of Darkness Details
13. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 09:19 Styopa

Zanakar wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 04:04:
Considering this will be a CCP game, better expect the same as with EVE-Online. In other words, some specific players who are CCP's Very Special Friends and thus are repeatedly allowed to get away with things like blatant racial and sexual harassment that will get "normal" players warned or outright banned.
Oh, and lots of PvP that consists of 10-on-1 gang ups followed by comments along the lines of "You stupid n00b carebear ! Go play WoW you carebear !"

Someone got owned, complained to a GM, and was told to pound sand.

News Comments > Wargame: European Escalation Trailer
1. Re: Wargame: European Escalation Trailer Jan 13, 2012, 13:18 Styopa

That's not a wargame, that's an arcade game with military units.
I was kind of optimistic the first minute or so...until I saw that "ambush" that looked more like something out of Braveheart, units engaging at 10m, etc. Sad, it looked pretty awesome and I'd love a version of Combat Mission set in the Cold War era.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch
11. Re: How is this news? Oct 9, 2007, 17:48 Styopa

Let's see...
9 miilion accounts, that's (roughly) $450 million in box sales, plus (let's average) 4.5 million * $15/month * 12 months/year * 3 full years = another $810 million in monthly fees, plus uncountable numbers for merchandising, character transfers, etc.
Let's round up to $1.3 billion in revenue.

Yeah, it *must* be crap because YOU don't like it.
What a tool.

News Comments > Overlord Demo
15. Re: Welcome Jun 11, 2007, 16:33 Styopa

"The "exact same game costs more on the platform with worse control" has always baffled me"

Adam Smith for the win.
It has everything to do with choice & the availability of options. On a game console you are limited to the games they offer. Period (unless you're a l33t h4x0r).

News Comments > Zoo Tycoon. 2: Extinct Animals Announced
3. Re: It is to laugh May 25, 2007, 10:58 Styopa

I think they need to come out with "Tycoon Tycoon: you are a games developer, and you have absolutely no creative ability. The game is about re-leveraging previously-successful titles, using the LEAST amount of new artwork, ideas, game text, UI programming, and code to try to sucker consumers into believing they are getting a new game as MANY times as possible. The winner will be the one who can keep a concept alive the longest (ie making money by selling to clueless Aunts, Parents and Grandparents who say "well, Billy seemed to enjoy that game we bought him last year, this one looks a lot like it!")"

Or, we could just stick a fork in the goddamn "Tycoon" series, realize we can download the same farking game for free from Underdogs circa 1992, and MOVE ON PLEASE.

News Comments > World of StarCraft?
55. Re: No subject May 6, 2007, 09:09 Styopa

"PlanetSide is a Massively multiplayer online first-person shooter computer game published by Sony Online Entertainment and released on May 19, 2003."

"After a lengthy closed beta stage, WWIIOL went live on June 6, 2001 under the campaign title Blitzkrieg. The release was timed to coincide with the anniversary of the D-Day: Operation Overlord invasion of Normandy."

Not really even close.

News Comments > Steam Cracked?
11. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2007, 12:03 Styopa

The "here's what you agree to" terms are meaningless. Any reasonable lawyer rips them apart without even slowing down.

News Comments > Civ IV: Beyond the Sword Revealed
1. What I can't wait for... Mar 28, 2007, 12:27 Styopa

CIV 5: Milking the Franchise So Badly That Even The 'Tycoon' Games Blush In Shame

Where once again you can build cities, armies, workers, ships, and planes on a randomized terrain that do pretty much nothing different from Civs 1, 2, 3, or 4, but this time they do it with more PIXELS and maybe even dynamic shading. Don't miss it!!!

11 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo