Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for The Magician

Real Name The Magician   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname The Magician
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 6111501
Description
Homepage http://www.landofthedeadmatchmaking.com/
Signed On Mar 20, 2007, 23:28
Total Comments 139 (Novice)
User ID 35237

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > Rust Rewrite
8. Re: Rust Rewrite Jul 3, 2014, 20:04 The Magician

Duke Rustem Forever? :-)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
21. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 13, 2014, 05:50 The Magician

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:13:
They don't know what happens with uncapped FPS? I'll tell you what happens, higher FPS. What else would happen? Nothing is the only other option.

That's like a carpenter saying I built a closet and never opened the door, who knows what could be behind it? An astral portal? The ocean? Nope a small dark area.

Love the name and image, happen to be listening to that album right as I read this thread.

Actually, lots of things could happen. Since games must necessarily clock pretty much everything based on their frame rate, as opposed to real time, it would be damn near impossible to determine what will happen as soon as you throw a different input into all the math behind the scenes. You could easily end up with camera issues, physics issues, animation issues, pretty much everything in the game could fail spectacularly. Maybe awesomely. Maybe horrifically.

Frankly, though, this just shows what I think we already know -- Capcom doesn't give one flying f**k about PC users. Every Capcom PC port that I've played has been absolute trash, far worse than the games themselves were. As a developer, I'd be embarrassed to have my name on a Capcom PC port.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark
2. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Mar 28, 2014, 19:42 The Magician

.... and the mobile game apparently was pretty decent, but it's PC port has the worst reviews of anything I've ever seen anywhere.

News Comments > Dark Matter Ending Criticized, Explained
29. removed Oct 20, 2013, 21:09 The Magician

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 21, 2013, 09:15.

News Comments > Godus Early Access
10. Re: Godus Early Access Sep 15, 2013, 20:23 The Magician

Note: I've been playing this game practically continuously since it came out. There's some serious addictive qualities to the very little that it provides.

That said: This should not be considered a "BETA". Only 40% of the game is there, they say. There are significant bugs that prevent anyone from going farther than a point very early in that supposed 40%. This leads me to believe that this is likely intentional (There is a cap on the number of buildings you can build.. how can that not be intentional? Several of the cards required to proceed beyond the first phase of the game are not present in the game, as far as anyone has been able to find so far. How can that not be intentional?). There's a quarter of that 40%, if that.

The amount of clicking is insane. About halfway thru to the point where I'm at, I received a pair of powerups that reduce the clicking to some degree. Those should absolutely be in the basic powers. The terraforming system needs some real work. It takes hours, even if you have all the "faith" (mana) in the entire world (and you pretty much do, after a few hours, compared to the powers that you hold at the time), just to flatten the land to be able to build enough to make any progression.

Basically, after you wear the hell out of your clicking arm, you get some tools that make it a little easier, but it still doesn't work very well.

I can't figure out why it's so much fun, though. It may be made with crack dust. It's spotty, it's crashy, it's full of "bugs" that render it impossible to reach most of the content that they claim is there.

Molyneaux's games have -all- been disappointing, since after the first Populous. Yet we all come back and try them out. This is the first one that I've played more than 15-20 minutes before going "this really sucks". Considering that this was kickstarted, and he's been pulling income from all sorts of other places to try to get this built... I think this is a last ditch effort to get enough money to try to get this together. He's broke, he's failing, and he's finally managed to get back some of the game play that we're all looking for. I hope he manages to make this game good, because right now, it's not, even though it's addictive as fuck.

News Comments > Daylight E3 Trailer
3. Re: Daylight E3 Trailer Jun 8, 2013, 00:38 The Magician

So... text adventure "Bedlam" finally comes to graphics form?

yay.

News Comments > David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project
15. Re: David Jaffe Joins Autoduel Project May 17, 2013, 16:42 The Magician

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2013, 20:39:
I'm a little confused. Is this not at all connected to the Autoduel game property from the 80s? Did they acquire the IP?

AutoDuel was one of my faves from waaaaaaay back in the day. Every time I got to the end-game on the C-64 version, though, the game would just crash with a disk read error. Tried it on dozens of copies of the game. I kind of thought maybe they never actually finished the game.

News Comments > "Most Challenging Game Ever" Kickstarter
13. Re: Apr 17, 2013, 16:54 The Magician

dj LiTh wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 10:07:
4s of gameplay, ya that sounds like great fun.

It should be like reliving "Tron: Legacy" or whatever the fark the name of that last crap Tron game was. Which would've been a really fun game had it not had you dying every 3 seconds.

News Comments > Dishonored Tease
3. Re: Dishonored Tease Mar 12, 2013, 23:03 The Magician

I really hope there was a better ending than the one I got. It was about 10 still frames, i think, with a voiceover that basically said "No one will remember what you did, except this little girl, who will die having never achieved anything, and then the entire world will have forgotten you."

I just about punched the monitor.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Open Beta Begins; Tutorial Video
5. Re: Crysis 3 Open Beta Begins; Tutorial Video Jan 29, 2013, 13:03 The Magician

I didn't even know C1 had multiplayer. I played the C2 preview beta thingee for all of about 5 minutes before deciding that Crytek didn't know squat about making multiplayer games.

News Comments > Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed
15. Re: Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed Jan 20, 2013, 11:50 The Magician

oh, yes, and choke the crap out of the guys who came up with the cover system that it only taught you once, there were no printed instructions for, and you could never get it to teach it to you again, so because it was absolutely necessary to use it to get through some missions, if you didn't pick it up the first time through, you were completely screwed. Or if you took a 6 week break from the game, and couldn't remember it.

News Comments > Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed
14. Re: Windows Grand Theft Auto V Listed Jan 20, 2013, 11:48 The Magician

Hyatus wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 10:42:
SectorEffector wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 01:45:
You're out to lunch if GTA IV doesn't satisfy you any bit.

GTA IV on PC with Mod Support and full res is a SOLID game with some very apparent flakey extra fat bits that should have been omitted.

I guess I'm stuck in line and ordering a sandwich, then, unless there's a mod that actually makes the driving feel as fun as it did in the previous games. GTA should not be a freakin' driving sim.

Sticking Ice nHancer on GTA IV and driving around town was the only fun to be had in GTA IV, after maybe the first 10 or 12 missions. By that time, I wanted to choke the crap out of the player character, as well as his dumbass friends, and the guys who thought that having to hang out with your buddies inbetween missions was an awesome idea.

News Comments > The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March
9. Re: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct in March Jan 11, 2013, 14:05 The Magician

I will buy this game just to spend hours shooting Merle in the face with a crossbow.

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 12:09:
Cutter wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 12:05:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 10:49:
Darryl is my favorite charactor on the show, however i was thinking this game was atleast a year away from what we saw in that previous video....epic fail comes to mind

Yep, Daryl is hands down everyone's favourite character. However, yes, this game is going to suck.

Which says a lot, because he's not much of a character. He gets about 30 minutes of screen time a season, and about 5 lines. He's actually behind T-Dawg on that. He basically just looks angry and is good at killing things (which is why we like him), but he's barely been fleshed out beyond that and most of what he's done with Carol has been annoying. But he represents the best potential for a redemption arc.

He's my favorite, too. I just realize there's very little cause for that. He and Glenn were the most solid characters, or I should rephrase as the only non-terrible one, before this season (which is a huge improvement.)

This game will be the Herschel's farm of FPS games.

News Comments > James Bond: License Revoked?
10. Re: James Bond: License Revoked? Jan 6, 2013, 20:23 The Magician

Legends was a seriously awful abortion of a development.

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
28. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 16, 2012, 12:57 The Magician

That sounds like a fantastic improvement.

I would contend that a better way to do it would be to actually design and build the game around a control scheme that is completely customizable, and includes support for keyboard/mouse and Xbox 360 controllers. Devise a control scheme that can do everything you want to do sensibly on a Xbox controller (none of this "hold A and pull right trigger, then tap left shoulder button" crap I found in one game recently), map the controls on PC to standard, let the player remap them all, and make sure that everything in the game that may involve controls is designed so that it understands that there may be a different device running as the controller.

I can't even think of how many Capcom games that I've tried would tell me "Press [A]" for a quick event thing (quick events are just crap parts of games anyway), while I'm using a keyboard. "A" is not [A]. Or the tutorials would onyl give instructions on how to operate the game using xbox controls on the display .. and there was no way to see what the keyboard keys were bound to.

It's no wonder they have thought in the past that PC games weren't worth making because of piracy . . they make games people want, but then the PC versions turn out so bad that they are unplayable.

News Comments > DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month
22. Re: DmC Devil May Cry for PCs Next Month Dec 14, 2012, 20:16 The Magician

Will the PC version tell me which buttons I'm supposed to use with a keyboard control, rather than trying to force me to figure out which button on the keyboard corresponds to the [x] [y] [a] [b] buttons on a gamepad, like all of Capcom's other shit-tastic ports?

News Comments > Eurocom Closing
1. Re: Eurocom Closing Dec 7, 2012, 17:30 The Magician

One look at the intro video to 007 Legends, and I can understand this.

News Comments > Free Skyfall DLC for 007 Legends This Month
8. Re: Free Skyfall DLC for 007 Legends This Month Nov 10, 2012, 07:23 The Magician

Jivaro wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 21:58:
It's a crap game, so selling the DLC probably wouldn't work to well...even though the movie is awesome.

Dear God, this. The eyeball sequence in the intro was done so god-awfully poorly, I wanted to cry for it. It seriously made me not want to even go to the main menu. I did, though, and I managed to persevere long enough to make it through 2 whole levels of this absolutely abysmal piece of trash game, before I decided Rocksmith was a much better idea. Even though I'd just worn blisters into my fingers playing Rocksmith.

So, yeah, I'd rather rub blistered fingers quite painfully over ridged steel than play 007 - Legends. It's a bit reminiscent of "Let's go pound nails with our dicks" from P-A.

News Comments > GTA5 Screenshots
15. Re: GTA5 Screenshots Jul 12, 2012, 16:48 The Magician

If they do planes, they'd better have better controls than the last time, and they'd better teach you how to use them earlier in the game than throwing you into a mission that if you can't master them, you'll never get any farther.

Screw GTA SA, I only made it through that mandatory flight mission on sheer luck on about my 50th time through it.

I've never made it through GTAIV because the combat controls are terrible. And the game is freaking boring as hell, when you have to go on dates and deal with your clingy cousin and bullcrap like that. LAME.

News Comments > Ground Branch Kickstarter
19. Re: Ground Branch Kickstarter Jun 4, 2012, 12:10 The Magician

Cutter wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 23:38:
If they're so involved with the military and gubment as they claim it should be asy to secure funding. And the guy is just an artist for pete sake. Definite pass.

Just because someone is military or ex-military, doesn't mean that the "gubment" is going to just give him money to make a game. No where does anyone make a claim to be "so involved with the military and gubment", anyway, other than that almost all of the people who've been involved with the project are mil or ex-mil.

And this "just an artist" guy has pretty much worn every single hat that can be worn by anyone in the game industry at one time or another. Project lead, designer, animator, modeler, 2d art, UI design and implementation, gameplay code, engine code, sound, effects, etc. He's a one man wrecking crew, who's had mostly sporadic part time help over the years.

139 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo