Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 284 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
78. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 22, 2013, 22:23 Stormsinger

nin wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 08:41:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 21, 2013, 22:46:
I can't imagine how I ever got the idea that these forums have been getting toxic lately.

Feel free to raise the thread to your level of genius, champ.

Prez wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 00:38:
Jesus, you'd have to be the thinnest skinned person here to consider this thread "toxic". It isn't like a company threatening its beta testers who are performing a service for them with losing access to all the games that they paid for simply for failing to report a bug in one game isn't grounds for some pretty righteous anger.

Seriously...it's attacks against the posters I'm talking about. I can't imagine why you think it's okay to be nasty to someone just because they have a different opinion than yours, but whatever.

After almost six years, you guys win, I'm outta here.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
74. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 21, 2013, 22:46 Stormsinger

I can't imagine how I ever got the idea that these forums have been getting toxic lately.  

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
44. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 16:41 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 16:36:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 16:31:
Clear enough this time?

Yes, it is clearer now, you are blaming programmers who get into business for the industry's woes. Pretty silly but so are nearly all generalizations like that.
Yeah, I guess it is silly to think that poor management accounts for most business failures...it's -much- more reasonable to think that the game industry is just "special" and ever so much more difficult than any other industry.

42. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 16:31 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 16:21:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 15:59:
m00t wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 15:52:
You claim to have worked in the industry for 12 years, but you show a pretty piss poor understanding of how it operates and how it really is substantially different from most other industries. Certainly every industry shares aspects of what the games industry does, but very few of them have to deal with all of the problems as extreme as this industry does. The nature of digital gaming is that it's actually very easy to get in to but much, MUCH harder to survive in. There are fewer protections against bad actors and sudden shifts in the environment, both of which happen with high frequency. Most publisher contracts are fairly draconian, yet aside from the novelty that is Kickstarter and the ilk, there are few alternatives to them aside from simply not existing at all. Recently that's improved somewhat with Steam, Faceobok, and the proliferation of flash games, but doing A - AAA games as an independent is still one of the hardest, yet rewarding, things to do. Still, even people in the industry don't seem to value the work that is done as much as it is in other industries. Part of that is simply the immaturity of the industry, part of that is there are a lot of eager people who are willing to forgo pay and benefits for the opportunity. Either way, the industry is different.

In your infinite wisdom, if every industry is the same, why did you leave?
Keep being an asshole, and this will be the last time I respond to you.

Money, stability, and poor management (mostly because of programmers whose egos make them think that they are too smart to fail at business), are the biggest reasons. And #1 and 2 are mainly caused by #3.

That's why the industry is the way it is or that's why you left? Either way... Blame it all on programmers? Come on...
Hmmm...didn't think it was that hard to understand, but I'll spell it all out.

The game industry is notoriously low-paying and unstable. Most of the studios (that I've dealt with, and definitely the one I worked for) are/were run by programmers who started their own company with the attitude that "well, I'm smarter than a business grad, so I can certainly run a business. That's simple compared to writing excellent code."

That lack of business savvy, combined with the ego to think it doesn't matter, is the primary reason the game industry has a worse record than most others. The converse takes care of most of the rest...businessmen who think that game design and programming are so simple that anyone could do it are just as bad, but there are fewer studios run by those sorts.

Having gotten married while I was working in the industry, my ability to tolerate low pay and risk was substantially reduced when the recession hit. After being laid off, I migrated back to the real world for about double the pay, and a significantly larger market for my own skills (which means more stability).

Clear enough this time?

40. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 15:59 Stormsinger

m00t wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 15:52:
You claim to have worked in the industry for 12 years, but you show a pretty piss poor understanding of how it operates and how it really is substantially different from most other industries. Certainly every industry shares aspects of what the games industry does, but very few of them have to deal with all of the problems as extreme as this industry does. The nature of digital gaming is that it's actually very easy to get in to but much, MUCH harder to survive in. There are fewer protections against bad actors and sudden shifts in the environment, both of which happen with high frequency. Most publisher contracts are fairly draconian, yet aside from the novelty that is Kickstarter and the ilk, there are few alternatives to them aside from simply not existing at all. Recently that's improved somewhat with Steam, Faceobok, and the proliferation of flash games, but doing A - AAA games as an independent is still one of the hardest, yet rewarding, things to do. Still, even people in the industry don't seem to value the work that is done as much as it is in other industries. Part of that is simply the immaturity of the industry, part of that is there are a lot of eager people who are willing to forgo pay and benefits for the opportunity. Either way, the industry is different.

In your infinite wisdom, if every industry is the same, why did you leave?
Keep being an asshole, and this will be the last time I respond to you.

Money, stability, and poor management (mostly because of programmers whose egos make them think that they are too smart to fail at business), are the biggest reasons. And #1 and 2 are mainly caused by #3.

36. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 15:36 Stormsinger

m00t wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 14:26:
Stormsinger, you must not work in the games industry. Often it is completely irrelevant how good your management is and how well prepared you are. Sometimes contracts end before you expect (often with no warning) and not everyone can spare the resources to have many projects going at once (actually very few do). Bad management would be to run the company into the ground, beg people to stay with no pay for months without a realistic plan. At least paying severance and PTO gives people some cushion to find some place else. There are a lot of things that are simply out of your hands as an independent game developer and you gamble every time you choose to make a game.

As a matter of fact, I do not work in the industry...any more. Not that it's relevant to my points in any way, but I spent over twelve years doing so. But thanks for pointing out the absurdity of making assumptions based on a few sentences.

Frankly, not one reason has been given to support the idea that the games industry somehow operates under different conditions than other industries. EVERY industry has to deal with changing conditions, failed contracts, and limited resources.

Good planning allows for that...poor planning does not do so...worse planning never even considers the possibility. The only thing debatable about that statement is the adjectives one chooses to use, the spectrum stays the same. Maybe you'd prefer "fantastic management can avoid laying people off, good management lays them off with warning, and bad management destroys the company." I fail to see any meaningful difference there...except how low or high you want to set the bar for "good". I prefer a higher target myself.

32. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 14:15 Stormsinger

Dev wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 12:30:
Its very common for game companies to lay off people between games, and re-hire them when games need a team to work on them.

This is actually GOOD of them and shows GOOD planning to do this before they run completely out of reserves, which would lead to them being bankrupt. Doing it before that point means they can continue until they get a game going (which they are hoping is wildman).

I think you're confusing "good" with "less than fucking horrible". Massive layoffs with reserves is a less horrible plan than closing the company...but it's a long way from a good plan, except for the owners.

31. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 14:12 Stormsinger

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 02:27:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 01:10:
and avoids screwing the employees.

In other words, you're talking out of your ass without RTFA. He says specifically that they're doing it this way so as to take care of everyone being laid off (severance and leftover PTO were mentioned), as opposed to cutting them off and leaving them with nothing. Which is what they'd have to do if they kept everyone on while waiting for the outcome of the Kickstarter. Also what NKD said; very, very few game developers are self-sufficient entities with the luxury of doing whatever they want. Hence inXile and Obsidian and Double Fine and etc., etc. turning to crowd-funding.
I read it (but thanks for immediately sinking to insults)...I just don't agree that laying people off is good for the employees. At least, nowhere near as good for them as a management team that planned and managed well enough to avoid doing so. Remember, my point was that massive layoffs are prima facie evidence of poor management.

But if you want to think otherwise, it's no skin off my nose.

(edited for grammar)

16. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 01:10 Stormsinger

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 22:45:
...purely because they're interpreting the layoffs as indication of a scam or poorly executed plan. They're taking a risk, sure, but I'm fairly certain it's a last resort that has been thought over way more than we'd ever realize.

I'd say it's crystal clear evidence of a poorly executed plan. A well executed plan wouldn't have had them running out of money, after all. The real question is, is the failure systemic, or can the company succeed if it just gets through this period. I've no answer to that, but I will say that I'm not a fan of supporting businesses that have to resort to massive layoffs. I prefer management that takes a more conservative approaches to finances, and avoids screwing the employees.

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 23:50 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:56:
Bioware has REALLY screwed the pooch in the last few years, no doubt, but I will say that I can understand wanting to shield oneself from the rampant blood-in-the-water hyper negative feeding frenzy that forums all too often descend into. Bioware has no one but themselves to blame for destroying a hard-earned, once-nigh impeccable reputation to be sure; there is a difference, however, between flatly ignoring all criticism and tuning out the perpetual hate mongers. Unfortunately, things done and said by Bioware developers recently indicates more of a case of largely thinking everyone else is crazy and they are doing everything right.
Honestly, I never understood where this "impeccable" reputation came from, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that everyone agrees...they used to be the best thing since Sid Meiers.

So maybe they've turned their back on everything that made it worth allowing them to live...on the other hand, there -are- other indicators one can use. Let's compare the toxic waste dump of the forums against the number of copies sold. One says, "Everything you, your parents, and your children through the ninth generation have, can, or will do is shit." The other says, "This was pretty damned successful."

Frankly, I'd listen to the money too. Don't like their games? Stop fucking playing them. They'll get -that- message a lot faster, and you don't have to ruin anyone's life, career or even just a mood to pass that one along.

On a only slightly related note: wasn't there a time when -this- forum was significantly less toxic than it is these days? Maybe Google has it right, and forcing people to put their real names on posts is the way to go.

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 22:33 Stormsinger

Dades wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:10:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 20:53:
Wow...I don't know why, but I actually expected a bit better than this BS here.

To each and every one of you "He's an asshole who only wants to ignore criticism" types, you clearly have never read any of those forums as if they were addressed to you. It's a completely safe bet that reading shit like that for six months would send anyone into a meltdown. So if you actually like your career, you find ways to avoid that result. In no way are the cesspits of company gaming forums a useful source of critiques...but they're great ways to destroy a team, good or bad.

You obviously haven't read much of Gaider's posts.

Not one word of my post referenced anything he ever said or posted. How about you address my comment, rather than some figment of your imagination...

He chooses to sit down and read the forums, no one is prying his eyeballs open and forcing him. He's a game writer, not a community rep. When you're dealing with the public you better have a thick skin. Your average McDonalds employee probably puts up with more shit in a year than David Gaider.

If he actually meant what he said he could have quietly stop posted instead of announcing it and declaring the reasons. When people were happy with the games he was fine to sit around and collect praise. Now that people are unhappy he's leaving, I don't know that seems pretty convenient.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

And yet again, someone who chooses to quote my post, then talk about something completely different. Did I ever say someone forced him to read it? Did I ever say he was anything but an asshole? Did I ever say ANY FUCKING THING ABOUT HIM? No, I didn't.

I said those forums are so toxic that nobody who wishes to keep a job would read them...nothing valuable can be gained by doing so. But you go ahead and rant about what a douche he is, that's clearly what you're invested in.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 21:10 Stormsinger

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 20:53:

To each and every one of you "He's an asshole who only wants to ignore criticism" types, you clearly have never read any of those forums as if they were addressed to you. It's a completely safe bet that reading shit like that for six months would send anyone into a meltdown. So if you actually like your career, you find ways to avoid that result. In no way are the cesspits of company gaming forums a useful source of critiques...but they're great ways to destroy a team, good or bad.

You obviously haven't read much of Gaider's posts.

Not one word of my post referenced anything he ever said or posted. How about you address my comment, rather than some figment of your imagination...

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 20:53 Stormsinger

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta This Month
33. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 20:36 Stormsinger

killer_roach wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:30:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:55:
So what you are saying is that Curt Schilling should have gotten his loan in New Zealand?

I kid..I kid...

Only mostly (Schilling thought that government would be a stable and predictable partner... he thought wrong.)
Not quite. Schilling thought that the "gaming business" was so simple you didn't need to actually know anything about making a game, or running a company. He was proved wrong on both counts.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 20:25 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:03:

One is vaporware and the other will be a major let down.

QFT

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
32. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 17:22 Stormsinger

what I want to know is, where did they find the investors stupid enough to put up the money for this shit? Because I can come up with plenty of idiotic ideas, and I need investors that don't have any brain cells too.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 9, 2013, 16:50 Stormsinger

@Tanto_edge, I don't now, and never implied that I ignored the internet crowd... I just don't play with them. And those who seem to think that their style of play is the only one that matters, and any designer who disagrees is out to destroy the game, are particularly annoying. Especially when they abandon any concept of courtesy in mkaing those claims.

In other words, I don't care for douchebags...and if you don't like that, don't be one.

News Comments > Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled
6. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 8, 2013, 23:37 Stormsinger

From a personal standpoint, Windows 8 is the deathknell of Microsoft. If, as predicted, Windows 9 follows the Win 8 design, then I've bought my last version of Windows. This device certainly isn't going to change that...I'll take an Android tablet for 60% of the price, thanks.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:40 Stormsinger

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 13:13:
1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:25:
Multiplayer is a side game. Who cares. Lets nail down single player then worry about PVP

Same syndrome that effects MMO's. You PVP'ers whine constantly. Go play Dawn of War 2 or something

Oh fuck off. Here's nine hours of your 'side game'. Some of us care about mp, so shut up.

This isn't just some PvP'ing shit, and the single player is never going to be 'nailed down' so long as these guys are using this bone headed approach.
The single player was fucked from the get go and this DLC is not helping.

Multiplayer is not an aside of this game, it is a major facet of it, whether you want to accept that or not.

Furthermore, the glitches throughout the game hurt single and multiplayer.

Finally, I don't know who Chris Kluwe is supposed to be and I don't much care.
Just as I didn't care about some triad. Just as I didn't care about whatever 'story elements' they tried to shoe horn into the gameplay. None of this 'helps' the single player become any better.

The hero idea is neat. How about fuck, Chris. He can burn for all I care.
Let's add the 'chance of a hero' and they can just have a normal name but he's a hero! So he comes in with additional stats, and congratulations, it's a new gameplay element that's not moronic. What a concept.

Maybe along the way they could release an SDK or some multiplayer maps.
Nice incoherent rant...how about you go fuck your mp buddies, and leave the rest of us alone with the game itself?

I'll play multiplayer games on the internet when the internet crowd grows up and gains just a tiny bit of common courtesy. Till then, I give complaints like yours about a shit's worth of concern.

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
17. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 21:49 Stormsinger

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:24:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:48:
Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:42:
Here we go again. The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail. Geeze, just by watching youtube vids of the gameplay shows that this game definitely requires skill-based strategy. Looks good to me so far!
Err...what? Would you mind putting that in English?

All I could get out of it is that you appear to like it...damned if I could make sense out of the first sentence, though.

"Here we go again" ? What is so tough to understand about that?
Whoops! Yeah, that should have been the second sentence that I couldn't follow.

284 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo