Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 275 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
25. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 23:50 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:56:
Bioware has REALLY screwed the pooch in the last few years, no doubt, but I will say that I can understand wanting to shield oneself from the rampant blood-in-the-water hyper negative feeding frenzy that forums all too often descend into. Bioware has no one but themselves to blame for destroying a hard-earned, once-nigh impeccable reputation to be sure; there is a difference, however, between flatly ignoring all criticism and tuning out the perpetual hate mongers. Unfortunately, things done and said by Bioware developers recently indicates more of a case of largely thinking everyone else is crazy and they are doing everything right.
Honestly, I never understood where this "impeccable" reputation came from, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that everyone agrees...they used to be the best thing since Sid Meiers.

So maybe they've turned their back on everything that made it worth allowing them to live...on the other hand, there -are- other indicators one can use. Let's compare the toxic waste dump of the forums against the number of copies sold. One says, "Everything you, your parents, and your children through the ninth generation have, can, or will do is shit." The other says, "This was pretty damned successful."

Frankly, I'd listen to the money too. Don't like their games? Stop fucking playing them. They'll get -that- message a lot faster, and you don't have to ruin anyone's life, career or even just a mood to pass that one along.

On a only slightly related note: wasn't there a time when -this- forum was significantly less toxic than it is these days? Maybe Google has it right, and forcing people to put their real names on posts is the way to go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 22:33 Stormsinger

Dades wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 22:10:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 20:53:
Wow...I don't know why, but I actually expected a bit better than this BS here.

To each and every one of you "He's an asshole who only wants to ignore criticism" types, you clearly have never read any of those forums as if they were addressed to you. It's a completely safe bet that reading shit like that for six months would send anyone into a meltdown. So if you actually like your career, you find ways to avoid that result. In no way are the cesspits of company gaming forums a useful source of critiques...but they're great ways to destroy a team, good or bad.

You obviously haven't read much of Gaider's posts.

Not one word of my post referenced anything he ever said or posted. How about you address my comment, rather than some figment of your imagination...

He chooses to sit down and read the forums, no one is prying his eyeballs open and forcing him. He's a game writer, not a community rep. When you're dealing with the public you better have a thick skin. Your average McDonalds employee probably puts up with more shit in a year than David Gaider.

If he actually meant what he said he could have quietly stop posted instead of announcing it and declaring the reasons. When people were happy with the games he was fine to sit around and collect praise. Now that people are unhappy he's leaving, I don't know that seems pretty convenient.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

And yet again, someone who chooses to quote my post, then talk about something completely different. Did I ever say someone forced him to read it? Did I ever say he was anything but an asshole? Did I ever say ANY FUCKING THING ABOUT HIM? No, I didn't.

I said those forums are so toxic that nobody who wishes to keep a job would read them...nothing valuable can be gained by doing so. But you go ahead and rant about what a douche he is, that's clearly what you're invested in.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 21:10 Stormsinger

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 21:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 20:53:

To each and every one of you "He's an asshole who only wants to ignore criticism" types, you clearly have never read any of those forums as if they were addressed to you. It's a completely safe bet that reading shit like that for six months would send anyone into a meltdown. So if you actually like your career, you find ways to avoid that result. In no way are the cesspits of company gaming forums a useful source of critiques...but they're great ways to destroy a team, good or bad.

You obviously haven't read much of Gaider's posts.

Not one word of my post referenced anything he ever said or posted. How about you address my comment, rather than some figment of your imagination...

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Jan 10, 2013, 20:53 Stormsinger

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta This Month
33. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 20:36 Stormsinger

killer_roach wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:30:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 16:55:
So what you are saying is that Curt Schilling should have gotten his loan in New Zealand?

I kid..I kid...

Only mostly (Schilling thought that government would be a stable and predictable partner... he thought wrong.)
Not quite. Schilling thought that the "gaming business" was so simple you didn't need to actually know anything about making a game, or running a company. He was proved wrong on both counts.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Interview
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 20:25 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:03:

One is vaporware and the other will be a major let down.

QFT

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
32. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 17:22 Stormsinger

what I want to know is, where did they find the investors stupid enough to put up the money for this shit? Because I can come up with plenty of idiotic ideas, and I need investors that don't have any brain cells too.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 9, 2013, 16:50 Stormsinger

@Tanto_edge, I don't now, and never implied that I ignored the internet crowd... I just don't play with them. And those who seem to think that their style of play is the only one that matters, and any designer who disagrees is out to destroy the game, are particularly annoying. Especially when they abandon any concept of courtesy in mkaing those claims.

In other words, I don't care for douchebags...and if you don't like that, don't be one.

News Comments > Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled
6. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 8, 2013, 23:37 Stormsinger

From a personal standpoint, Windows 8 is the deathknell of Microsoft. If, as predicted, Windows 9 follows the Win 8 design, then I've bought my last version of Windows. This device certainly isn't going to change that...I'll take an Android tablet for 60% of the price, thanks.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:40 Stormsinger

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 13:13:
1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:25:
Multiplayer is a side game. Who cares. Lets nail down single player then worry about PVP

Same syndrome that effects MMO's. You PVP'ers whine constantly. Go play Dawn of War 2 or something

Oh fuck off. Here's nine hours of your 'side game'. Some of us care about mp, so shut up.

This isn't just some PvP'ing shit, and the single player is never going to be 'nailed down' so long as these guys are using this bone headed approach.
The single player was fucked from the get go and this DLC is not helping.

Multiplayer is not an aside of this game, it is a major facet of it, whether you want to accept that or not.

Furthermore, the glitches throughout the game hurt single and multiplayer.

Finally, I don't know who Chris Kluwe is supposed to be and I don't much care.
Just as I didn't care about some triad. Just as I didn't care about whatever 'story elements' they tried to shoe horn into the gameplay. None of this 'helps' the single player become any better.

The hero idea is neat. How about fuck, Chris. He can burn for all I care.
Let's add the 'chance of a hero' and they can just have a normal name but he's a hero! So he comes in with additional stats, and congratulations, it's a new gameplay element that's not moronic. What a concept.

Maybe along the way they could release an SDK or some multiplayer maps.
Nice incoherent rant...how about you go fuck your mp buddies, and leave the rest of us alone with the game itself?

I'll play multiplayer games on the internet when the internet crowd grows up and gains just a tiny bit of common courtesy. Till then, I give complaints like yours about a shit's worth of concern.

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
17. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 21:49 Stormsinger

Jivaro wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 21:24:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:48:
Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:42:
Here we go again. The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail. Geeze, just by watching youtube vids of the gameplay shows that this game definitely requires skill-based strategy. Looks good to me so far!
Err...what? Would you mind putting that in English?

All I could get out of it is that you appear to like it...damned if I could make sense out of the first sentence, though.

"Here we go again" ? What is so tough to understand about that?
Whoops! Yeah, that should have been the second sentence that I couldn't follow.

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
15. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 19:48 Stormsinger

Steele Johnson wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 19:42:
Here we go again. The insatiable gamer trying to sway any hope that a currently unfinished game is destined to fail. Geeze, just by watching youtube vids of the gameplay shows that this game definitely requires skill-based strategy. Looks good to me so far!
Err...what? Would you mind putting that in English?

All I could get out of it is that you appear to like it...damned if I could make sense out of the first sentence, though.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2012, 21:52 Stormsinger

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 21:41:
whoa. Saw some stuff was on sale at Steam today (A LOT OF STUFF ACTUALLY) and was price checking the stuff I bought on autumn sale vs today's sale, and while checking my email (which I NEVER CHECK for my steam account) - I am now a part of the DOTA2 test!
You have my deepest sympathy...especially if you actually set foot in that slime called a community.

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
32. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 5, 2012, 19:12 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 12:55:
Why are you assuming everyone is responding/arguing to you?
Probably because your response was close enough to the discussion to fit perfectly well...until you said it had nothing to do with the previous posts.

I dunno, why -would- I assume that a post that fits in the flow, was about the flow? I'm stupid, I guess.

The others I have responded to were discussing points like videoconferencing which were points I introduced...I think it reasonable to assume they had some relevance to my comment.

30. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 5, 2012, 12:22 Stormsinger

PHJF wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 09:03:
Yeah I don't know where this idea came from that you have to see the actual person to play an RPG with them, wtf? Video conferencing??? The whole point of the RPG is the players assume avatars, something we've long been doing in video games.

If somebody were to make a D&D toolset and let users easily craft dungeons and whatnot for groups of people to have at, I'm sure a lot of people would climb on board.

The fact Magic: The Gathering has a successful online game that is completely identical to the physical version is proof enough it could work.
Why do you people keep wanting to change the subject, and pretend that's what I/we were talking about all along? Nobody ever said you couldn't play a PnP game online. But it simply does NOT recreate the tabletop setting, therefore the idea of "retiring PnP" is completely premature. Tabletop gaming is a social event, it's not just roleplaying a character in a game. And it's hard to have a decent social event without having the traditional means of interaction, like being able to see facial expressions and hear tones of voice.

29. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 5, 2012, 12:17 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:30:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:41:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:31:
I have friends who get together for table top gaming nearly every weekend. They almost always have one, sometimes two, phone players sitting nearby propped up on a screen facing the board/table. I'm sure it's not ideal but it's there. There's plenty of functioning multi-user video chats out there (Google hangout, stickcam)... just do the same thing with a game.

I know it can't replace it but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.
Go back to the OP. The question he posed was "Isn't it time to retire PnP?" If today's tech can't replace tabletop environment, then it isn't time to retire the tabletop gaming.
At a minimum, any real replacement has to offer life-size HD faces for the entire group. That's a hell of a lot of monitors, and more bandwidth than most people have.

Neither of things you mentioned there were points I was trying to make. Didn't quote the op or any other post for that reason.

Was just pointing out that there are people already playing actual "tabletop" games with a virtual presence and the other was that a videogame could be made featuring working video chat with a crowd of players.
Well sure, we've been doing that since the 90s, but that wasn't what the conversation was about. If you want to -change- the topic, it might help (my understanding, at least) if you mention that.

25. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 22:41 Stormsinger

Go back to the OP. The question he posed was "Isn't it time to retire PnP?" If today's tech can't replace tabletop environment, then it isn't time to retire the tabletop gaming.
At a minimum, any real replacement has to offer life-size HD faces for the entire group. That's a hell of a lot of monitors, and more bandwidth than most people have.
Sepharo wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 22:31:
I have friends who get together for table top gaming nearly every weekend. They almost always have one, sometimes two, phone players sitting nearby propped up on a screen facing the board/table. I'm sure it's not ideal but it's there. There's plenty of functioning multi-user video chats out there (Google hangout, stickcam)... just do the same thing with a game.

I know it can't replace it but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done.

22. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 19:27 Stormsinger

PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 12:44:
Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming.

No, the tech is all there, the bandwidth, the market is all there. The only thing missing is a developer with the balls/money/desire to do something about it.
The tech is most assuredly NOT there. When was the last time you participated in a 7-way video conference that actually worked? I never have, in spite of working for companies that supposedly rely on remote conferencing. Maps and electronic dice are not the social setting, those are the mechanics, and the absolute least important portions of the experience.

19. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 11:02 Stormsinger

Uh...no. Online gaming is years from recreating the social setting of tabletop gaming. Until and unless it manages to allow face-to-face interaction, there is still plenty of reason to keep the more social version of roleplaying games.
PHJF wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 09:19:
I've never played a tabletop game (though in high school I got dangerously close to buying into WH40K) so speaking as an observer...

Isn't it time to retire PnP? We're well past the point where, given tools enough, the PC can be used to carry nearly all of the tabletop experience online. NWN was hugely popular and had tons of fucking wacky servers, from a bunch of LotR realms to a mock Diablo clone to full-on original servers. The success of WoW clearly shows a market for this sort of thing, and at the same time its (many) shortcomings highlight the need for something much better. Enough with the clones and knockoffs and incremental updates to a long-stale formula, somebody needs to get off their fucking asses and make a REAL, WORTHWHILE MMO not to compete with WoW, not to dethrone it, but to show it as the simple, uninspired, boring game it has long been. What better way than an established, esteemed IP like AD&D to do this?

Just don't let Turbine near it because they don't have the balls or abilities for so grand a project.

11. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 01:38 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 23:04:
The reason its important - to me at least - that they get to utilize the Planescape universe which is pretty damn interesting - e.g. City of Brass, etc.
Well, that's a point, true enough. The only parts of any version of AD&D that I actually appreciated were the settings and peripheral publications (and the tournaments, mostly from the RPGA, tended to be quite a blast). Overall, they did some rather fine world-building.

275 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo