Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 285 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2014, 12:17 Stormsinger

No. Why should we believe them -this- time when they've provably lied dozens of times in just the last few months?

Disband them and send those in charge, like Clapper, to jail, or better yet, Guantanamo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Habitat Announced
1. Re: Habitat Announced Feb 26, 2014, 21:37 Stormsinger

Kinetic weaponry is new? Every single projectile weapon, and most historical weapons are -all- kinetic weapons. Sheesh...more evidence why marketing drones shouldn't be allowed to write their own hype.  

News Comments > More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming
5. Re: More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming Feb 21, 2014, 19:32 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to find the "game" in this software. Well, not really...I gave up after a few hours.  

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
13. Re: Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It Feb 10, 2014, 20:30 Stormsinger

Mr. Orth, I strongly suggest you seek out a career that doesn't involve contact with customers.  

News Comments > Monster Madness Online "Pre-Alpha"
1. Re: Monster Madness Online Feb 8, 2014, 14:03 Stormsinger

Well, the in-browser version is pretty underwhelming. Click, click, crash...reload...click, crash...reload... After five cycles, I still have no idea what the game is like.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2014, 20:09 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:52:
Two-thirds of Americans surf the Web at less than 10Mbps.

duh. I surf them web at exactly 1 - as anything above that in this Monopoly is so ungodly expensive that it isn't worth it.

Guess it depends on where you live. 50mbps was a $30 upgrade for me, so long as I took a $49.99 TV package.

$79.99 for 50mbps, basic cable and HBO isn't bad, even if I barely use the cable.
It clearly does depend on where you live...I'm paying about the same $80 for a bare 25 Mbps internet connection, no TV.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2014, 18:38 Stormsinger

Ooooh! I want a time machine!

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 17:59 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 15:39:
... If you mean the bigger AAA houses then its a huge risk/reward thing for them and most aren't willing to do small projects like that in house, they aren't good small idea incubators.

It's a shame nobody seems to be filling that gap. Seems like there might be a workable business model in funding a variety of small projects (which are relatively cheap) looking for decent returns, rather than doing only multi-million dollar projects that can't afford to fail. Especially if the investor has some insight into what makes a decent game.

Look for my entry into the gaming-VC field after I win a lottery. Which would be much more likely to happen if I would occasionally buy a ticket.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
19. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 22:50 Stormsinger

Ryan Lange wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 20:01:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 16:55:
Anyone know what their reasoning is/was for requiring monthly claims? I couldn't see a good reason for it on the original proposal, and they're not clarifying it here (nor did they include a link to that other thread).

The "other thread", I believe, is here. There's a lot of enlightening information there, but you might have to dig for it.

The gist of it, as I understand it, is that Station Cash in general is a financial liability. You can buy $10 worth of SC, but SOE can't actually count that $10 until the SC is used to purchase something. Until the SC is spent, the transaction sits on their books as a liability, making quite a mess of things. Allowing "idle" accounts to accumulate SC makes things even uglier.

I think this stems from the little-understood notion that SOE isn't selling the SC itself; they're selling the items that you purchase with that SC. The SC is just an intermediate storage of value, like store credit or gift cards, that doesn't actually count for anything until you buy something with it.

Thanks for the link, I'll go spend a bit of time reading it. I rather suspected it was an accountant's problem, not a real issue that lead to this rule. The fact is, they have been paid, and they're apparently concerned that one form of virtual goods (SC or any form of credits) is bad for them, while another form (virtual items in a game) is good. And people think we gamers have problems with reality...

Many of the problems in our society can be traced back to the games accountants play to hide the facts.

News Comments > SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions
9. Re: SOE Going Forward With Unified Subscriptions Jan 7, 2014, 16:55 Stormsinger

Anyone know what their reasoning is/was for requiring monthly claims? I couldn't see a good reason for it on the original proposal, and they're not clarifying it here (nor did they include a link to that other thread).  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Support
2. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Support Dec 20, 2013, 11:23 Stormsinger

Flight sims (space or air) are one of the places that VR headsets -really- shine. Going all the way back to the Virtuality Arcade in the early 90s, even as crappy as their resolution and response was, the ability to track the enemy just by looking around made it a whole new game.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2013, 20:27 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 20:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 19:36:
Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 18:14:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:32:
I'm reaching the conclusion that Popcap has totally abandoned the PC as a platform...how sad that they seem to think they've outgrown their roots.

Well, their original platform was actually Flash. They started with browser-based games.

Why don't they make them anymore! It's such a shame when people abandon their roots. And, on that note, why isn't George Clooney doing a new Facts of Life TV show and why isn't Christian Bale doing more crappy musicals about newsboys!?

That would be a more valid snark if I were complaining that Popcap only made backup software now, and wasn't making games any more. Or maybe if I were complaining that they only made hardcore RTS games, instead of casual games.

Casual games, you know...the ones where the platform doesn't much matter, because they don't stress even a phone's hardware, and don't need a DVD or two's worth of files.

I think the previous poster hit the nail on the head...it's just that they're EA now. I'd forgotten that.

EA isn't an evil monolith, any more than any other company driven solely (and myopically) by the bottom line. If EA thought it made economic sense to release on the PC, they'd release on the PC.

Ultimately, someone did an analysis and decided that the incremental gains of releasing on the PC weren't worth the investment. And, honestly, given that they have infinitely more data than most people here, they're probably correct. They'd probably need to hire a PC team. They'd have to put resources away from things guaranteed to have big returns (mobile casual) and put it into something less likely to have as big returns (PC casual.) The time and money spent to release on the PC has to come from somewhere, and would anyone really be surprised if investing it in iOS casual games gave a higher return? Angry Birds is (or was) one of the biggest games franchises on the planet thanks to mobile - no one is playing that crap on PCs.

Armchair CEO all you want, but I find that older PC gamers, in particular, tend to be as blind (and contradictory) as teenage girls when it comes to defending their favorite hobby.

Nice...too bad I said nothing about any of that. I said it was a shame they'd forgotten those of us who made them big, the PC crowd. I didn't call them evil, I didn't even call EA evil. Believe it or not, I do understand something about business, even the game development business (having spent some 15 years working in it). Hell, I can even remember when the EA name on a box was a decent indication it was a great game.

Sorry to interrupt your snark. Carry on.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2013, 19:36 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 18:14:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:32:
I'm reaching the conclusion that Popcap has totally abandoned the PC as a platform...how sad that they seem to think they've outgrown their roots.

Well, their original platform was actually Flash. They started with browser-based games.

Why don't they make them anymore! It's such a shame when people abandon their roots. And, on that note, why isn't George Clooney doing a new Facts of Life TV show and why isn't Christian Bale doing more crappy musicals about newsboys!?

That would be a more valid snark if I were complaining that Popcap only made backup software now, and wasn't making games any more. Or maybe if I were complaining that they only made hardcore RTS games, instead of casual games.

Casual games, you know...the ones where the platform doesn't much matter, because they don't stress even a phone's hardware, and don't need a DVD or two's worth of files.

I think the previous poster hit the nail on the head...it's just that they're EA now. I'd forgotten that.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
70. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 15:12 Stormsinger

Atoth wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 15:07:
Long story short; they were going to release the module to get more money but they got more money elsewhere and now can release the proper module they originally wanted to put out, hence the delay...

Not quite...the long story in short form is they promised it in December, "no matter what". And didn't deliver...no matter how you want to spin it.

Remember, I did say I understood the reasoning. But to make a public promise and fail at it is still a flop, no matter the reasoning. It's poor management and worse PR.

64. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 14:50 Stormsinger

Slinkycatz wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 14:04:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 13:50:
You're missing the point completely. Delays happen, we all know that. But waiting to announce it until there are only two weeks left, rather than as you put it, last year when there was a change in scale and scope...well, that looks awfully snake oilish.

Like Cabezone said...

Those of us who have actually been following what has been going on have been aware for almost a month that they were debating which path to take on the dogfighting module. Release it with existing Crysis code or build it from scratch?

I've seen a number of comments here on BluesNews by those who aren't really following the game but are on the distant sidelines, making comments that indicate they don't really understand the context of what they are talking about.

So let me see if I have this straight now. You're saying that as of a month and a half before the deadline -they- had set, they hadn't even decided what engine they were going to use? And you're saying that's not waiting until the last minute to start on something they'd promised "no matter what"?

I guess I've been put in my place... I was being far more generous than that, assuming they'd actually made a decision in time to reach their deadline but just not announced it. This just screams of mismanagement.

53. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 13:50 Stormsinger

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:58:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:25:
You can't make promises that it will release in December no matter what, then delay it because you decided to make it better. Well, you can, but you're still not keeping your promise.
The pledge to release the dogfighting module was made last year before the Kickstarter was a runaway success and it broke all crowdfunding records, leading to a change in the scale and scope of the game. Those following the YouTube channel have known for a while that the dogfighting module was facing a potential delay so as not to delay the final release of the game by forking the code. Don't forget that every other major Kickstarter game has faced delays (Wasteland 2, Double Fine, etc).

So fuck all the moaning. Go back to your caves.

You're missing the point completely. Delays happen, we all know that. But waiting to announce it until there are only two weeks left, rather than as you put it, last year when there was a change in scale and scope...well, that looks awfully snake oilish.

42. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 12:25 Stormsinger

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:57:
panbient wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:51:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:38:
not sure why you guys throw stones at them the first time they delay something.

Because the man in charge is notorious for promising the moon and taking forever to deliver.
Then don't support them, until they deliver something worthy for you.
I am looking forward to this game just as much as the next guy, but I don't understand this "I'd love to see this fail" mentality a lot of people have.
Sure Elite looks awesome and will be released sooner then SC obviously but that doesn't mean I want SC to fail.
The amount of detail they put into the ships and ship designs so far makes me hopeful that this will really be an epic game.
But it will take time
For myself,it's not that I'd love to see it fail...it's that I expect it to turn out to be a scam/flop. It's just not possible to live up to all the promises that have been made, and keep getting expanded on. You can't sell $1000 in-game items and not be pay-to-win, for example. You can't make promises that it will release in December no matter what, then delay it because you decided to make it better. Well, you can, but you're still not keeping your promise.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 17, 2013, 10:32 Stormsinger

4. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 Stormsinger

Honestly, his explanation makes sense. But he had to have made that decision quite some time back...why wait so long to announce it? I suspect the last minute announcement is going to make this a much bigger thing than if it had been announced a few weeks ago.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 14:20 Stormsinger

I've got a -very- strong suspicion that the coffee/beer study shows nothing at all like what the writer claims. He apparently knows nothing about science, tech, or measurements, and not much more about the English language.

"But a low concentration of caffeine, similar to the amount found in a shot of espresso, shortened telomeres, and exposure to a 5-to-7 percent ethanol solution lengthened telomeres."

A concentration is not comparable to an amount. And if you've got a 5-7% alcohol concentration in your body, you're a corpse already, so telemere lengths are rather a moot point.

285 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo