Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Nov 7, 2012, 19:22 Stormsinger

The Witcher came from books? Wow...learn something new every day.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Salem Beta Expands
12. Re: Salem Beta Expands Nov 7, 2012, 19:20 Stormsinger

I disagree that permadeath must lead to the destruction of the game. I firmly believe that it can be made into a viable, even enjoyable feature. Not that anyone seems to be interested in actually trying to make it so. The biggest point would seem to be keeping the costs of starting over to a minimum.

Paranoia, as a table-top game did fine with limited clones (lose all six, start a new character), in large part because character creation took only a couple minutes...the fun was in causing/getting into trouble, not in surviving it.

News Comments > HD Upgrades Free for Stronghold & Stronghold Crusader Owners
2. Re: HD Upgrades Free for Stronghold & Stronghold Crusader Owners Oct 31, 2012, 20:46 Stormsinger

I'd still have to buy it again, cause I'll be damned if I know where the original game has disappeared to (it's for sure not on my hard drive).

Even remastered, I can't imagine it's worth paying for it a second time.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 18, 2012, 19:52 Stormsinger

Yelp conducting sting operations? Isn't this the same company that was generating scads of complaints that they were shaking down businesses to pay for better reviews?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 3, 2012, 19:09 Stormsinger

"Analysis Shows Some URL Shorteners Often Point to Untrusted Websites"

Isn't that rather like saying, "Water is often wet?"

News Comments > No Federal 38 Studios Charges
17. Re: No Federal 38 Studios Charges Sep 29, 2012, 13:45 Stormsinger

Jivaro wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 12:40:
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 12:12:
LittleMe wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 10:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 22:39:
This simply isn't a blame game. Someone somewhere was responsible for fucking up and that person is likely Curt.

You say it isn't a blame game and then proceed immediately to blame Curt directly. It was a *high risk* investment on the part of the state government. The state government obviously wants to save face and not face the consequences of their greed that blinded them.
At the very least, someone lied about taking care of mortgages and moving expenses for the employees, you know, the folks that were assured their old houses were taken care of. It may not be a criminal matter (or it may), but it for damned sure is at least a civil matter. Some of those folks have been ruined financially, while Curt's day-to-day life doesn't appear to have been affected at all.

The cynical side of me says that nothing will be done, that Curt is rich enough to be one of the system's "good guys", and his employees will be considered to have brought this on themselves. I hope I'm wrong, but...

Your assertions that Curt's day to day life has been unaffected and that he is still rich are both wrong. This has been written about in great detail in the press...both from people who gloat about it and people who sympathize for him. He did an interview on ESPN (also his current employer) where he admitted that he was broke as well.

He screwed up, but portraying him as the rich guy that walked away untouched is not correct.
Way to pick out the unimportant part of the post. The employees were lied to. No ifs, ands, or buts. But by all means, lets focus on the side issue of whether my cynicism is justified.

News Comments > No Federal 38 Studios Charges
13. Re: No Federal 38 Studios Charges Sep 29, 2012, 12:12 Stormsinger

LittleMe wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 10:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 22:39:
This simply isn't a blame game. Someone somewhere was responsible for fucking up and that person is likely Curt.

You say it isn't a blame game and then proceed immediately to blame Curt directly. It was a *high risk* investment on the part of the state government. The state government obviously wants to save face and not face the consequences of their greed that blinded them.
At the very least, someone lied about taking care of mortgages and moving expenses for the employees, you know, the folks that were assured their old houses were taken care of. It may not be a criminal matter (or it may), but it for damned sure is at least a civil matter. Some of those folks have been ruined financially, while Curt's day-to-day life doesn't appear to have been affected at all.

The cynical side of me says that nothing will be done, that Curt is rich enough to be one of the system's "good guys", and his employees will be considered to have brought this on themselves. I hope I'm wrong, but...

News Comments > Nexus 2 Kickstarter
35. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 29, 2012, 12:05 Stormsinger

Sugarman wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 05:51:
...were victorious on one fine evening of troll posting, because you good sir, being the pinnacle of all we have come to achieve as a species, expressed your disdain towards something many others enjoy.
And again, someone doesn't seem to realize that different people like different games, and THAT IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOU.

I found Nexus to be pretty meh...even after spending several hours playing it. I wanted to like it, because strategic and tactical space games are one of my favorite genres. But it never once felt well-made. It felt like a newbie's game, with a clunky and hard to interpret interface.

That does not make me a troll...nor do you see me attacking those with a different view of the game. I -do- speak out against those who seem to take personal offense at the idea that someone else might not like a game that they enjoyed.

Get over it. Different people have different opinions, that's why we have horse races.

23. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 20:14 Stormsinger

yuastnav wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 19:07:
Well I really enjoyed Nexus.

The only problem was the game-breaking bug where it crashed during a sequence and didn't let me finish the game.

Apart from that it was a fantastic experience.

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:55:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 15:21:
Wow the posts in this topic make me sad to be a pc gamer. Too complicated? Nexus? A game you could win with the shift key and 1 mouse button?

And to the guy saying the game felt staged.. I have only 1 thing to say to that.. DUH.
Reread the genre, TACTICAL COMBAT SIMULATION. Read up what a tactical combat challenge IS. That is the very definition of STAGED COMBAT in a game. To complain that the game felt staged is like saying that Homeworld 2 had too much space. Or that there was too much shooting in Call of Duty. Tactical challenges HAVE to be staged. Or it would be brainless skirmish.

But the sad abilities of pc gamers we have here aside, why is this kickstarter 2 days shorter than Obsidian one?

Hah, the old "you are playing it wrong" bit. Do you dislike any games, Eraser? If you do, it's because your abilities are sub par, and you obviously don't understand the genre, duh.

That is not entirely correct. As it has been said it's not a strategy game but a tactical simulator. You are not correct in saying that he he is wrong in implying that you are not playing it correctly since you, probably, just have different expectations from it.
To use an analogy: it's like expecting Baldur's Gate or Fallout to be an action adventure rpg. It's not. Gothic or the elder scrolls are action adventures with rpg elements, Baldur's gate and Fallout are rpg games. There are similar mechanics but the games are fundamentally different. It's the same for Nexus and other games of a similar genre in which you control several ships in a strategical manner in space.

Are you seriously trying to tell someone what his expectations were, in contradiction to what -he- says they were? I guess it couldn't possibly be that he has the slightest validity to his complaints...it must just be that he's a moron who doesn't know what he wants.

It really is -not- a personal attack if someone has a different opinion of a game that you like, you know. Well, unless you behave like Eraser when you find out about it. Because he obviously makes it personal.

9. Re: Nexus 2 Kickstarter Sep 28, 2012, 14:14 Stormsinger

Bet wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 13:23:
Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 11:02:
I purchased a copy of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident many years ago, and have tried many times to get into the game, but to no avail.

I just never felt in control. The UI was just a mess. The actual action was dull. The only way to really see an entire battle was to zoom out so far that you were looking at little "+" marks on the screen.

I really wanted to like the game, because I enjoyed the story, but always gave up in disgust when I found myself, yet again, realizing that I had absolutely no clue what was going on during a battle. Which ship was attacking my fighters? Who knows! Were my lasers having any effect? Its a mystery! Did my missiles actually hit? Anyone's guess! Which ship was I controlling again? Doesn't matter!

I'll probably get crucified from some die hard fans of the game, but I sincerely tried (my last effort was a mere 3 months ago) to give the game a chance, but I just never felt like I was playing it, merely going along for the ride and hoping for the best.

Edit: Oh, and dear god, that had to be about the cheesiest kickstarter video ever. Please guys, don't try to act...
Sounds like all they have to do to please you is provide a decent tutorial and better UI feedback. Pretty simple fixes there. Both things I'd expect from a sequel.

And I really expected this kickstarter a while ago...at least sometime around FTL's success. I'm not a die-hard fan, but have been wanting this sequel since they had that tech-demo video of it from years and years ago.

Wildone, I think the closest we've gotten so far is Starlight Inception (which is why I threw some money at it). Don't have as high of hopes as I'd like, but it'll probably give me the fix.

Speaking of that, I still have yet to really get into IWar2. Guess I'll do that now, since you've reminded me.

Both things I would have expected in the original (or any) game, personally.

News Comments > I Am Weapon and Demo Released
2. Re: I Am Weapon and Demo Released Sep 27, 2012, 19:23 Stormsinger

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:55:
I've bought and played and liked their games before. On steam.

Why isn't this on steam? Sigma sells a lot of copies of their other games there. If its priced reasonably I'll probably buy it... on steam. I have enough accounts on other game websites.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was because it just isn't ready yet. No localization (everything is in Russian or some other Cyrillic language). Movies (or something) that are nothing but a black screen with a Close button (the only thing I saw in English).

I'll look at it again when it's localized and on Steam...maybe.

News Comments > Tryst Demo
5. Re: Tryst Demo Sep 26, 2012, 18:59 Stormsinger

No single-player component to the demo, no playing with other demo players. Sounds like the demo is primarily supposed to provide a set of easy victims for those who buy the game.

I'll pass.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control
9. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control Sep 17, 2012, 21:31 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 21:19:
Did you buy it from Impulse way back? ^^ In that case you won't have received a serial per email only a order confirmation. Only way to see your serial is to login to your impulse account (now owned by Gamestop) and see if they let you access your owned games still.
Nah...I didn't buy anything from Impulse, since before it was named Impulse. And I'm pretty sure that would predate GSB. I'll hunt for a bit longer, but if I don't find it in a day or two, I'll just repurchase. I've no objection to keeping Cliffski profitable...I like most of his games quite a bit.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control
5. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control Sep 17, 2012, 20:46 Stormsinger

Drats! I went to update my copy, and discovered that it was apparently installed on my old machine, and I no longer remember where I bought it. Doesn't appear to be steam, and I can't find any other records...so I guess I may have to buy it again.

At least Cliff's games are cheaply priced. And since I enjoy most of them, buying a second copy won't bother me.

News Comments > BIS Espionage Charges Follow-Up
9. Re: BIS Espionage Charges Follow-Up Sep 17, 2012, 19:47 Stormsinger

Is this a typo? "...which claims the co-workers were taking a vacation together during crunch time."

What kind of studio lets multiple developers take a vacation -during- crunch time?

It's got to be a typo..surely it should have said "after crunch time".

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Launches
6. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Sep 15, 2012, 15:00 Stormsinger

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:46:
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 11:29:
Really? The link is right there...how hard is it to click it, then click FAQ, and read the answer?

For pity's sake (I'd hate to see you strain your clicking finger), the answer is yes.

Someone asked a question and you come back like a jerk, either answer the question or stop trolling.

Yes the game is f2p and don't apologize to jerks.

Sure...a snarky answer (and I -did- give the answer, you know) is so much worse than being too lazy to click a link, and asking others to do it for you.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Launches
2. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 Stormsinger

Really? The link is right there...how hard is it to click it, then click FAQ, and read the answer?

For pity's sake (I'd hate to see you strain your clicking finger), the answer is yes.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
30. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 20:49 Stormsinger

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:52:
Get back to me when you have something that I can plug directly into the base of my skull. Till then I'll be waiting here watching Ghost in the Shell and wishing I also got a degree in biology as well as computer science. Then again, that degree might just tell me why that shit will never work, which would just make me sad.
Uh...no. There isn't a software (or hardware) company out there I'd trust to write code I'm going to run in my brain. Nor, for that matter, to make a plug that directly connects to any part of my central nervous system.

You think security and stability is hard now? Just wait until a bug can crash your brain. You only get one...they're kind of hard to replace.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
33. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 19:03 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:44:
Best character creation ever. I could - and did - spend days at a time just making characters for themes, costume contests, etc. Every MMO needs to take a page from CoX on this.

Mission Architect was a step in the right direction but far too late. Much like Cryptic's Foundry, MMOs and evern CRPGs should always strive to enable user made content. It's just a no brainer.

The rest of the game pretty much sucked IMO. Same with CO. Still waiting on a good online/co-op/multiplayer superhero game.

Personally, I never did agree that player made content was a good idea. Copyright infringement (some players -will- import items copied from other sources) and taste/obscenity issues (remember the penis storms in Second Life) mean that if you don't inspect and approve every individual item, sooner or later, you've opened your company up to all kinds of liability issues.

That said, the final version of the MA was better than I thought possible.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
30. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:39 Stormsinger

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:01:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:38:
Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:33:
When I was laid off from Paragon almost two years ago, I thought they had another 6mos, maybe a year left in them. I was wrong apparently. They managed to scrape by for another 22 months.

I'm sad to see my friends and former co-workers set loose today, but I'm confident they'll find greener pastures soon enough.

Admittedly, it's always a bummer when people you know personally get handed a setback that alters their life. You know how stressful it's going to be for them.

Still, I remember hearing about the Mission Architect and saying "Really? That's your plan to bring the sub numbers back up?". It didn't go over well. It reeked of desperation at the time.

Mission Architect was never designed to bring subs back. It was just one feature of many in an attempt to stem the loss of players over time. Fact is, very few games can maintain relevance for years and years on end, MMO or not. You'll always have your small, hardcore, slightly insane group of players who will be there playing until the end, but the majority of the playerbase is just recycled out for new players and not a damn thing you can do about it.

Really, it started out as a tool to allow Joe M. to create burnable content more easily and at some point it expanded into a 'Hey, why don't we let the players use this too?'

Lot of mistakes made with MA and how it was implemented, but the underlying idea of letting people who've invented a superhero character also write their own story content to play and sahre was a good idea no matter how you spin it.

And let's not forget that the MA was built and released during the years when "player-created content" was being touted as the holy grail of online games. In all honesty, CoX was the -only- game I saw that even came close to making it a reality...even if it did take a lot of tweaking after release to get there.

CoX kept my interest far longer than any other graphical MMO...and I don't even -like- the superhero genre. I find that to be a rather amazing achievement, although it's clear others have other viewpoints.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo