Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 277 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Blizzard Oldies
8. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 3, 2014, 00:48 Stormsinger

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:24:
Stormsinger wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:04:
Well, since I can no longer access my battle.net account unless I send them a copy of my driver's license, I won't be dealing with Blizzard again.

I guess I should have said "screw 'em", I don't care how much they spend on customer support for stolen accounts.

Really? That's your big problem in dealing with Blizzard is them taking account security something on the serious side? Geeze, imagine if it was something actually important.

What, you think faxing them a copy of a driver's license means shit? Anyone over the age of 13 can grab a fake image of one of those, under whatever name and picture they like. That's not security, that's just theater...all at the cost of the customer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
9. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 2, 2014, 20:07 Stormsinger

I'm more curious about just how many different studios and outsourced groups are involved here? In my experience, anything over 3-4 is a trainwreck waiting to happen.  

News Comments > Free Blizzard Oldies
2. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 2, 2014, 20:04 Stormsinger

Well, since I can no longer access my battle.net account unless I send them a copy of my driver's license, I won't be dealing with Blizzard again.

I guess I should have said "screw 'em", I don't care how much they spend on customer support for stolen accounts.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2014, 22:10 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on May 1, 2014, 07:10:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 20:20:
Too bad the USPS is not funded by tax dollars. Kind of makes your comment irrelevant.

They receive about a hundred million a year in federal funding, not to mention they have a literal monopoly as a business which is government mandated which in the end costs us all money and services that could be improved. He was wrong but he's not too far off the mark, the USPS sucks and really needs to die off or reinvent itself.
Oh please. Try sending a letter via a private service (and in spite of your claims, there are plenty of them), you'll find it costs a wee bit more than $.50. Then tell me again how awful and obsolete the post office is.

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2014, 20:20 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 10:43:
I read the Outbox thing last night, very interesting article. I've had very little but spam in my mailbox for the past five years so I would be all for something like that, shame that our tax dollars are being used to fund the modern equivalent of the milkman.
Too bad the USPS is not funded by tax dollars. Kind of makes your comment irrelevant.

News Comments > Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock
27. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 21:35 Stormsinger

Sho wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 20:27:
... From a business perspective you want your projects to be financially sound independent of context, and spread the risk instead of having to spend/gamble your own last penny every time. privatize the profits while making sure any losses accrue to other people's pocketbooks.
Fixed that for you.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 4, 2014, 23:28 Stormsinger

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 22:39:
Say what ya want, but what they gave the kid for finding it was pretty fucking awesome.
I dunno...sounded a lot like chump change to me.

But heads really need to roll over this one. That's the kind of BS security that gave Microsoft a bad name in the first place.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 26, 2014, 22:24 Stormsinger

They can spin it any way they like, but it'll be a cold day in hell when I consider buying one of these now. I'm not looking for more ways to do business with sociopaths.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 25, 2014, 22:27 Stormsinger

We should start a pool on how long until someone has MS-DOS running on a GPU, and how many will fit on the Pascal. [Edit] Or a Titan...  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
20. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 23, 2014, 00:36 Stormsinger

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 15:46:
Stormsinger wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 15:32:
People purchased items for an -alpha-? Sheesh...
They bought items, early access, and the ability to template the accomplishments that they have achieved in Alpha...Closed Beta...and Live. All of which are genuinely valuable since you can carry them along as the game transitions toward live.

So yes, you are correct...but your derision is a bit off base.
I wouldn't call it derision...more disbelief. I've been screwed so many times with various early access/beta/preorder purchases that I find it exceedingly difficult to understand why people continue to encourage companies to charge for nowhere-near-finished games.

News Comments > EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week
6. Re: EverQuest Next Landmark Closed Beta Next Week Mar 22, 2014, 15:32 Stormsinger

People purchased items for an -alpha-? Sheesh...  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2014, 12:47 Stormsinger

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 12:23:
So if we are all wacko's believing in conspiracies, then explain when the most powerful man in America is telling us straight up that we have to uncover and weed out secret societies because they are evil? Tell me what info you have that is more solid than JFK's.

Personally, the reason I have serious doubts about the conspiracy theories is that all evidence suggests that those who would have to be behind them are too stupid to actually pull it off. The state of things as we see them seem more likely to be the result of pedestrian corruption, greed, incompetence and stupidity than the plans of some cabal of evil geniuses.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 1, 2014, 12:17 Stormsinger

No. Why should we believe them -this- time when they've provably lied dozens of times in just the last few months?

Disband them and send those in charge, like Clapper, to jail, or better yet, Guantanamo.

News Comments > Habitat Announced
1. Re: Habitat Announced Feb 26, 2014, 21:37 Stormsinger

Kinetic weaponry is new? Every single projectile weapon, and most historical weapons are -all- kinetic weapons. Sheesh...more evidence why marketing drones shouldn't be allowed to write their own hype.  

News Comments > More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming
5. Re: More Frequent Starbound Content Updates Coming Feb 21, 2014, 19:32 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to find the "game" in this software. Well, not really...I gave up after a few hours.  

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
13. Re: Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It Feb 10, 2014, 20:30 Stormsinger

Mr. Orth, I strongly suggest you seek out a career that doesn't involve contact with customers.  

News Comments > Monster Madness Online "Pre-Alpha"
1. Re: Monster Madness Online Feb 8, 2014, 14:03 Stormsinger

Well, the in-browser version is pretty underwhelming. Click, click, crash...reload...click, crash...reload... After five cycles, I still have no idea what the game is like.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2014, 20:09 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 19:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 18:52:
Two-thirds of Americans surf the Web at less than 10Mbps.

duh. I surf them web at exactly 1 - as anything above that in this Monopoly is so ungodly expensive that it isn't worth it.

Guess it depends on where you live. 50mbps was a $30 upgrade for me, so long as I took a $49.99 TV package.

$79.99 for 50mbps, basic cable and HBO isn't bad, even if I barely use the cable.
It clearly does depend on where you live...I'm paying about the same $80 for a bare 25 Mbps internet connection, no TV.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 27, 2014, 18:38 Stormsinger

Ooooh! I want a time machine!

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jan 21, 2014, 17:59 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jan 21, 2014, 15:39:
... If you mean the bigger AAA houses then its a huge risk/reward thing for them and most aren't willing to do small projects like that in house, they aren't good small idea incubators.

It's a shame nobody seems to be filling that gap. Seems like there might be a workable business model in funding a variety of small projects (which are relatively cheap) looking for decent returns, rather than doing only multi-million dollar projects that can't afford to fail. Especially if the investor has some insight into what makes a decent game.

Look for my entry into the gaming-VC field after I win a lottery. Which would be much more likely to happen if I would occasionally buy a ticket.

277 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo