Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallen Earth Rises
22. Re: Game Reviews Sep 23, 2009, 11:16 Stormsinger

If they believe their product is so great, a demo with a free trial would earn them a lot of customers and quite a bit of respect.

It's not that hard to offer a free trial:

When it's your game and investment, then you can offer whatever deal you like. As long as it's their game and investment, they get to choose. See how it works?

And Blizzard didn't offer a free trial when the game was new, either. That came quite a while later.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVE Insider Trading Scandal
3. Re: EVE Insider Trading Scandal Sep 9, 2009, 10:22 Stormsinger

How do you figure that? In ANY multiplayer game with trading, having advance knowledge of upcoming changes would allow a trader to make a killing. Nothing new or unusual about it.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Aug 30, 2009, 18:19 Stormsinger

OSC is a hack, always has been. I read a ton of Sci-Fi and could never get through one of his books from start to finish. Abysmal shiite.

I believe that says more about you, than it does about Card. While he may have despicable political or religious beliefs, the man is one of the best authors in the field. I can't think of more than one or two others who are as good at characterization (Spider Robinson perhaps, but who else?).

Not to mention that his politico-religious beliefs don't really seem to make it into his books. The Homecoming series has one exceedingly sympathetic homosexual character in a major role...just by reading his books, you'd never know that he's against equal rights.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - All Aspect Warfare & Angle of Attack
6. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - All Aspect Warfare & Angle of Attack Aug 18, 2009, 03:54 Stormsinger

"... code named R.A.N.D.O.M. (Random Access Nuclear Destruction of Obsolete Matter) ..."

Oh yeah, with writing -this- good, you just know the game is going to be great make you gag. Seriously, couldn't Smart have hired a professional writer for this? Or at least someone with an 8th grade education?

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2009, 03:54.

News Comments > Champions Online Beta Status
10. Re: Champions Online Beta Status Aug 18, 2009, 03:50 Stormsinger

I won't play a game that requires me to provide them bandwidth to patch other players' installations (I immediately disabled torrents for WoW's patcher, and downloaded my patches from Fileplanet). They're the ones making the money, -they- can pay for the bandwidth.

That said, providing the bandwidth for that initial surge is -very- expensive...which is one of the many reasons I don't object to a monthly subscription. Frankly, if the game doesn't impress the beancounters enough to gamble the costs of the bandwidth, then they'd be better off just cutting their losses and never opening at all.

News Comments > EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage
5. Re: EVE's Banhammer of Unholy Rage Aug 18, 2009, 03:45 Stormsinger

I still find it rather funny that it's okay to fuck over CCP's customers pretty much any way you like...but don't you dare try to make any money from their -game-. Personally, I'd expect that any game developers that pick the griefer crowd as their preferred customers would inherently have a lot of players who also don't much care how the devs want them to behave. But for some reason, they always seem to be so surprised about it...

News Comments > World of Darkness MMOG Confirmed
17. Re: World of Darkness MMOG Confirmed Aug 13, 2009, 13:04 Stormsinger

This is one of the few game settings that actually has a chance at getting something like WoW's numbers, assuming that the gameplay is equally sticky. World of Darkness has huge numbers of fans, perhaps not as quite many as Star Trek, but they're far more game-oriented and FAR more fanatic on average.

What I'm not so sure about is CCP's ability to turn out a game with such broad appeal. I don't think that targeting an audience of griefers is going to make it. And taking two years after release to make the game fun (like they did with Eve) isn't going to help them reach millions of players either. It needs to be fun right out of the gate...I guess we'll see if they have what it takes to do that.

News Comments > Copernicus Looks to the Stars
2. Re: Copernicus Looks to the Stars Jul 26, 2009, 15:52 Stormsinger

"You donít see very many markets where there is a Coke and no Pepsi." says 38 Studios' Brett Close, using the ever-popular soft-drink analogy. "Thatís what you have with WoW. Other products have been successful, but theyíre not the massive competitor that I know will exist."

I'd think there's at least one other case that should immediately come to the mind of anyone involved in a computer related industry...Microsoft. There is simply no competitor anywhere near their market share.

News Comments > Mechs Education
30. Re: Mechs Education Jul 7, 2009, 23:38 Stormsinger

Hell, I'd be happy to finally see a game that came close to Kesmai's hype about SVGA Multiplayer BTech...which became Multiplayer BattleTech 3025, which was killed by EA. We -still- haven't seen what was being promised (and demod) back in 1996, and I -still- want that game.  

News Comments > EVE Bank Robbery
7. Re: something for *virtually* nothing Jul 3, 2009, 13:39 Stormsinger

I actually like the game quite a bit, but as long as their target audience is the griefer crowd, I won't be sending them any money.  

News Comments > Phantom Lapboard Update
5. Re: Phantom Lapboard Update Jul 2, 2009, 21:11 Stormsinger

I can't help but be curious...what sort of person accepts the CEO position of a company that was so clearly running a scam for so many years? It'd be like taking over control of Bernie Madoff's investment fund, not to refund the remains to the victims, but to continue to run it as an investment fund.

The truly amazing part is that they appear to still have victims believers who are willing to donate cash, for whatever reason.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2009, 21:12.

News Comments > China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming
3. Re: China Hasn't Banned Gold Farming Jul 1, 2009, 10:48 Stormsinger

It is, as I saw someone mention the other day, about clamping down on gambling. Although it appears to be written a bit more broadly than that, that has long been a goal of the Chinese government.  

News Comments > DDO Unlimited Plans
4. Re: DDO Unlimited Plans Jun 24, 2009, 15:31 Stormsinger

<< IMHO, if you are going to offer unlimited play for free, then make it unlimited. >>

It is unlimited...as in, it doesn't expire after a set amount of time, which is what unlimited has mostly come to mean in the online world (you can connect/login 24x7, minus some reasonable amount of downtime). Now, after typing out all this rant, I see the real problem...you don't mean unlimited, you mean unrestricted. Changing that one word does away with all the confusion. Too bad they didn't promise unrestricted play for free, eh?

Honestly, I don't see a connection to Flagship (not that I found playing Hellgate online to be worthwhile anyway). Hellgate had a completely playable single-player game...hell, that's all it was, the multi-player component added nothing to that, except lag. DDO has no single-player game, so what makes it a good likeness?

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Details?
2. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Details? Jun 22, 2009, 20:51 Stormsinger

First mobile base in RTS games? wtf? I think they're taking lessons from Ann Coulter, and just making shit up now.

The first one that pops into my head is all the Terran buildings in Starcraft. Dune 2 (or at least one of the Dune series) had mobile construction bases as well. And I'm pretty sure that with a little bit of thought, I could come up with at least three more. Considering that I can't even begin to claim to have played all the RTSs out there, I'm sure there are more than this.

I frikkin' hate marketing droids...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2009, 14:21 Stormsinger

I don't really understand the problem some folks have with feeding squirrels (I find them far more interesting than the birds), but if you really want them gone, just don't put out seeds that they like. Safflower seeds are popular among most songbirds, but squirrels (and grackels and starlings) don't care for them, so they'll leave them alone.

There is no such thing as a squirrel-proof bird feeder...there are whole documentaries about the quest for such, but no winner has ever been found. Just change the bait.

News Comments > Blurst Subscription Plan
5. Re: Blurst Subscription Plan Apr 29, 2009, 14:49 Stormsinger

I'm really curious to know how one can meet a 20k/month budget -and- a staff of six with 5000 people paying 20 for six months. Even assuming that the staff is already included in the budget, that means they have a budget of 120k every six months. Sadly, their target of 5000 customers only supplies 100k for that same period. Doesn't sound supportable to me...

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 14:51.

News Comments > The Chronicles of Spellborn Launches
3. Re: The Chronicles of Spellborn Launches Apr 23, 2009, 19:00 Stormsinger

I've been playing this one for a little while now, since the "open beta" started anyway. And I have to say, it's really quite different. The combat is significantly unlike the run of the mill "pick a target hit 5 4 1 2 1 2 1 2 5" strategy common to most of the MMO's out there. And even better is that the character mechanics are [finally] not the cookie cutter "party must have a tank, a nuker and a healer" approach that has been pretty universal since EQ.

For those two reasons alone, I find it worth subscribing. It's still a little rough around the edges (particularly in the networking layer), but a damned fine creative work.

News Comments > Shadowbane Closing
10. Re: Shadowbane Closing Apr 19, 2009, 16:59 Stormsinger

I think the client should be free of charge and you only pay a subscription fee.
If a company wants to charge for the games client than when it decides to close it, it should provide the community the tools and means for people to create their servers. Since this last option is a lot more complex and at the same time not suited for every multiplayer game, I think at least the first option should be applied.

Then by all means, feel free to make one of these ferociously expensive games and market it the way you think it should be done. Until and unless it's your millions of dollars invested, I don't think your opinion really carries much weight, nor should it.

News Comments > Demigod Early
3. Re: Demigod Early Apr 13, 2009, 23:49 Stormsinger

No, we don't get to "actually see the effects of piracy." We'll get yet another single case, with no equivalent control...just like every other game ever released. It's just not possible to ever "see the effects of piracy" unless and until we can fork the timestream and try selling the same game both ways.

I get that Stardock thinks pirates don't buy games...but they don't actually have any evidence to support that belief. I am rather impressed that they are willing to put their money where their mouth is, though. OTOH, so do those companies that do use DRM (put their money where their mouth is, that is).

News Comments > No US/EU Hellgate Updates
2. Re: No US/EU Hellgate Updates Mar 5, 2009, 00:03 Stormsinger

What, is someone twisting your arm? If you don't like the game, fine. I'm pretty sure nobody's going to force you to play it. But for God's sake, quit frikkin' whining about it!

I don't know why I haven't gotten used to the fact yet, but I'm still amazed that so many kidspeople can't separate the game from the business model.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo