Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 285 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2011, 14:05 Stormsinger

The Medline Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass is probably the most amazing (and hilarious) thing I've ever seen on Amazon.

When did they get into the comedy business?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World Supremacy and Demo Released
4. Re: World Supremacy and Demo Released Nov 22, 2010, 19:25 Stormsinger

In what bizzaro universe was Supremacy a lite-on-rules, beer-and-pretzels game?  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
21. Re: Quote of the Day Nov 5, 2010, 19:09 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Nov 5, 2010, 17:08:
Note that the guy is not saying that microtransaction is the preferred way for the customer to play something (though it actually does seem to be), he's saying that that leads to more profit for the dev/publisher.
Creston

Good point. And if you've ever played a Bigpoint game, you know their actual philosophy on how to make a profit seems to be largely on the side of "low production costs". They make the same game (badly) and reskin it multiple times...

I really don't see how that qualifies them to make meaningful judgements on Bioware's approach.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Star Ruler and Demo
3. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Star Ruler and Demo Sep 24, 2010, 19:04 Stormsinger

Bubicus wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 17:15:
Darn, I saw the headline and mistakenly thought that "Spaceward Ho!" was being remade.

That's definitely one I'd like to see GoG offer...

News Comments > FreeJack Beta Signups
1. Re: FreeJack Beta Signups Aug 28, 2010, 01:14 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to figure out the name. What the hell does Parkour have to do with Mick Jagger and time travel?  

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2010, 19:11 Stormsinger

space captain wrote on Jul 30, 2010, 14:22:
ever heard the expression "any publicity is good publicity"? piracy may do this for some indie games.. its not a justification just an observation

Of course I've heard it. I didn't believe it -then-, either.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 26, 2010, 00:03 Stormsinger

Yeah, cause if someone does something other than your way, they're obviously sick.

I can think of several cases where having many tabs open is a great help. Comparing features on mid-range video cards...looking up apartments to rent...shopping for a new car. Basically anything where you want to compare multiple options can easily lead to multiple tens of windows open.

And then there's the approach I find myself taking occasionally, I'll see an interesting link while running down a website or forum, so I open it in a background tab and leave it while I finish the article I'm reading. On some sites, I can easily wind up with a couple dozen linked articles to peruse. Bookmarks would work, but then you have to clean them up when you're done. I like the options tab candy seems to be offering.

But shoot me, apparently I'm sick.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Online Details, Screenshots
13. Re: Battlestar Galactica Online Details, Screenshots Jul 23, 2010, 19:38 Stormsinger

My experience with Bigpoint doesn't give me a lot of hope for this game. I was playing one of their other games, and about the third time I attempted to log in, I got rejected with a bad password (which had worked before and been saved). When I got to tech support, their only suggestion was to flush -all- of my cookies...and they were unable or unwilling to identify just where the cookies they had set were found.

I allow cookies for specific reasons, and I'll be damned if I'm going to wipe out every other site's cookies just because the programmers at this one can't be bothered to document theirs. When I pointed that out, I was accused of being belligerent. So I think I'll pass until I see some evidence of intelligence and customer-oriented service from this company.

News Comments > Schafer versus Kotick, Round 2
10. Re: Schafer versus Kotick, Round 2 Jul 14, 2010, 23:18 Stormsinger

Apparently Kotick doesn't understand that you can't participate in an e-peen contest by proxy. Especially not by female proxy.

What a noob!

News Comments > BioWare Working on "Small Scale" MMOGs
23. Re: BioWare Working on Jul 14, 2010, 20:45 Stormsinger

Boys, I think we have a spy in our midst. What the hell is this "other hobbies" stuff?

Blasphemer! Infidel! Someone get a rope!

Kajetan wrote on Jul 14, 2010, 11:29:
Maybe, maybe not. Only thing i know, that i dont care anymore what gaming companies want. If they make games i like, ok. If not, i have other hobbies to spend time with

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Free Weekend
5. Re: Heroes of Newerth Free Weekend Jun 30, 2010, 23:03 Stormsinger

I really wish I understood why it seems that the DOTA clones seem to attract far more than their share of assholes. Or maybe I should be glad I don't...

Whatever, given my experience in beta, I wouldn't play the game if they paid me.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August
5. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August Jun 24, 2010, 02:23 Stormsinger

He really was something. I try to be less profane than Hicks, and find remarkably little difficulty in doing so.

Truthfully, I find I have to be far more careful in my attacks now that I have a stepdaughter (whom I adore) who -is- one of those people who do marketing. Knowing that I could hurt her feelings kind of takes the fun out of it. :/

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Rogue in August
2. Re: City of Heroes Going Rogue in August Jun 22, 2010, 23:23 Stormsinger

CoX has quite a number of features that belong in many, if not all, of the MMO genre. One of the biggest being the mission/storyline creator. Remember a couple years ago when "player-created content" was the holy grail of online games? This is one of the -very- few games to actually implement it, and they did a fine job of it too. It offers everything the budding designer needs to produce missions just as polished as the "official" missions...assuming one has the writing talent to do so.

Last time I played it (about a year back), I was shocked at how much the game had improved since release.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August
3. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August Jun 21, 2010, 20:40 Stormsinger

Ummm, wouldn't "more than four new factions" be more precisely stated as five? Stupid marketing speak...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2010, 19:55 Stormsinger

On a happier note, the "Women of Steampunk 2010" couldn't be more accurately titled and captioned. "Breath-Taking Ladies of Steampunk World's Fair 2010" and "The women of Steampunk World's Fair 2010 were an intoxicating mixture of loveliness, mystery and style".

Indeed, a remarkable collection of young ladies and costumes. I guess Steampunk's got a wider audience than I ever guessed.

News Comments > Captains of DarkTide Announced
4. Re: Captains of DarkTide Announced May 12, 2010, 14:50 Stormsinger

kynangLasco wrote on May 11, 2010, 13:02:
Just worked for me... I am using Firefox. Maybe a temporary glitch?

If by temporary, you mean they fixed it sometime in the last two hours, then I'd agree. The error message was not one that would go away by itself, it was a flat-out error in their SQL. Somebody changed either the SQL statement, or the structure of the tables involved.

They also changed at least one of the controls on that signup form. They did have a calendar control (a nonstandard one, at that) for birthdate, and no other way to set it...now they have dropdowns for month, day and year, still a stupid way to do it, but distinctly better than the first.

All that said, I'm happier about what the incident says about them than I was previously. Even if they didn't get it right or bother to test it ahead of time, they did fix it pretty quickly. In today's market, that's probably as good as it gets.

News Comments > Captains of DarkTide Announced
1. Re: Captains of DarkTide Announced May 11, 2010, 10:56 Stormsinger

Sadly, their signup for beta doesn't work. It just throws a nice mySQL error instead. I hope this is not a meaningful indication of the quality of the rest of their work, but...  

News Comments > Activision Reorganized
8. Re: Activision Reorganized Mar 31, 2010, 14:09 Stormsinger

Err...with all due respect, since when have the Elder gods cared about rules?  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week
13. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 13:13 Stormsinger

QFT. I tried the game for about an hour. Now, I wouldn't have anything to do with that group of fuckups (I refuse to call it a community) if someone were to pay me to do so. I really have a hard time understanding how a game company can see this sort of behavior as something worth tolerating. It's virtually impossible to be a success when new customers are run out of town on a rail.
Frijoles wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:54:
10 comments and not a word about the shitty community both games have? Amazing. I believe it's been compared to, "Worst community in the online universe ever." I've only played HoN, and yeah, it sucks. LoL apparently is bad as well, but not as bad. A word of warning to anyone trying HoN, the Newbie games are not for Newbies. They're for people who are advanced in the game and want to stomp on newbies and then laugh/bitch about them. If you're looking to join a starter game, join one with a 1500 or so rating requirement. Much much better, and less yelling.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 22, 2010, 22:00 Stormsinger

Thinking about it, you're probably right Sepharo. Not bothering to mention the game just reeks of the attitudes one finds in the various commercial DotA spinoffs. They have the most insular, most unfriendly communities I've ever seen for any game. Bad enough that I wouldn't buy one of those games if it cost $.02.  

285 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo