Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 13:27 Stormsinger

"Reboot" and 3D...if that ain't the kiss of death, I don't know what is. Either one alone is a really bad sign, but both at once?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On the BioShock 2 Decoy Plasmid
5. Re: On the BioShock 2 Decoy Plasmid Feb 8, 2010, 17:14 Stormsinger

Then they'd just bitch about the crappy graphics.  

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 4, 2010, 21:47 Stormsinger

Hmm...so not only is it formulaic tripe, but it's not even -his- formulaic tripe! There's way too many similarities for this to be coincidence.

That's just pathetic.

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers
8. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 30, 2010, 03:49 Stormsinger

Yakumo wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 06:43:
Stormsinger - having never seen or heard of that before it makes me wonder what your system is running. Sounds like old drivers need clearing properly, or you've got a codec mess or some other software fault.

I've heard any number of people who've had issues with specific drivers and had to roll back to older ones. The 6921 drivers were originally especially popular for players of one or two specific games (Bioshock, maybe?), as many of them had problems with newer versions, even WHQL-certified ones.

My old drivers have been cleared completely more than once...it makes no difference. It -could- be a codec issue, I guess, but there's no way it's worth wiping all the codecs out and finding them again, just to see if that's the cause. The whole thing really does raise the questions "who fucked up so badly that it locks the app up, but gives not a single indication what the cause was?" And "why does -this- driver not have that issue?"

In all honesty, it really doesn't matter. I don't seem to need any of the features of the newer drivers, and probably won't until I buy a newer card. At this point, there's still no real indication that I'll need to do so anytime soon. The way things are going, I'm far more likely to buy a whole new box first.

7. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 30, 2010, 03:40 Stormsinger

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 01:07:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 28, 2010, 00:48:
I just keep rolling back to the 6921 version from late 2007. Those have yet to give me any grief.

Lol. Do those drivers even SUPPORT a 295?

Probably not...I kind of stopped keeping track of the new cards a year or so back, when I became unexpectedly unemployed. Still running an 8800 GT, and not having too many problems with performance yet.

2. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers Jan 28, 2010, 00:48 Stormsinger

I dunno...the last three times I tried to upgrade my drivers (usually due to corrupted files or some such), things just stopped working. "Things" includes Media Player: even though every single upgrade attempt was to a WHQL-certified version, in each case, Media Player simply stopped responding when loading a DVD.

I just keep rolling back to the 6921 version from late 2007. Those have yet to give me any grief.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Procedural Audio
1. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Procedural Audio Jan 23, 2010, 15:28 Stormsinger

Wow...just wow. Out of all the features involved in improving a game, how does the sound of footsteps even get 30 seconds, much less the months needed for this? Sounds like a seriously warped sense of priorities...which is pretty much what happens when you let the programmers decide what's important (they frequently mistake cool-to-code for cool-to-play). Do these guys -have- any game designers?  

News Comments > More Rockstar Spouse Follow-up
3. Re: More Rockstar Spouse Follow-up Jan 23, 2010, 01:03 Stormsinger

As a general rule, when a company issues a denial that so carefully dances around the issue but doesn't actually deny the accusation, it's a pretty safe bet that the accusation is true.

Frankly, if it was false, they'd simply say so.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jan 9, 2010, 19:38 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2010, 14:48:
If you have to spend 10 million dollars to develop a proprietary graphics engine rather than spend, say, 1 million on licensing the Unreal 3 engine, that means your game has to sell that many more units to break even, and is that much more of a financial failure when it doesn't. When a company can't make ends meet because its games aren't selling enough to pay for development costs, the first thing to be cut is payroll.

So your suggestion is to cut payroll first? If you're spending 10 million to develop a graphics engine, that's -all- in payroll. I fail to see how laying people off earlier helps anything.

I also completely agree with his analysis on the stupidity of firing people and then acquiring others immediately after, while I don't understand your explanation for disagreeing with it at all.

That's because you're assuming that all people are interchangeable...but you're wrong. The skills, talents, and experience in one group of people (the folks being laid off) generally are either going to be quite different than those of the new company you're acquiring, or if they're the same, then the management has some reason to think the new group is -better- than the ones they laid off. Not to mention the IP that comes with an acquisition...that's often a fair part of the reason for the acquisition.

Basically, the impression I get from his article is of a just-out-of-college or almost-out-of-college author who has no real-world business experience, but thinks he's ever so much smarter than those who have actually done the job for real.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jan 9, 2010, 13:38 Stormsinger

Funny, I would call that article "utterly clueless". The author doesn't appear to have the slightest idea what he's talking about. Reducing the emphasis on graphics doesn't save jobs (if it saves any money at all, it's by -shedding- jobs). Nor does buying another company have any relevance to firing people, unless those people were directly competing with the company you're buying (and not doing it very well).

Actually, it appears that his idea of what a business is for, is to provide jobs...a beautiful dream, but no more than that. In the real world, the purpose of a business is to make money...providing jobs is wholly incidental to that. This op-ed piece is more in line with Lennon's song "Imagine" than anything connected to the real world.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2010, 13:39.

News Comments > GameStop Financials
6. Re: GameStop Financials Jan 7, 2010, 10:59 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jan 7, 2010, 10:39:
Growth is a pretty basic part of the equation with regards to profit and sales anyways. Let's say you have $10,000 to invest in a videogames company InBlack. Do you want to invest it in the company that is making money and showing signs of continuing to make more? Or do you want to invest it in the company that appears stagnant or worse?

Certainly you're correct in today's real world, but there's no reason why it -has- to be that way. Growth is not a requirement to make a profit, and profit is what makes money for actual investors. Growth is primarily important to market speculators, who make their money from stock prices. In other words, it's not a -real- value...it's just an illusion that props up the fictional value on the exchange (think the difference between gold-backed and fiat dollars).

Myself, I'd really rather find a company that had a steady and -sustainable- profit to invest in, rather than looking at the illusionary value of the stock market. But I'll admit that this is a philosophical stance, and probably not the one most likely to maximize my profit.

News Comments > PT Boats: Knights of the Sea Demo
3. Re: PT Boats: Knights of the Sea Demo Dec 31, 2009, 19:44 Stormsinger

That is one damned unfriendly tutorial, though. Get within 3 cables to identify the enemy...but it doesn't tell you what the hell a "cable" is until you've already succeeded. Destroy the enemy ships, but you can't take any damage. Hell, I can't even -see- the enemy ship from my forward guns, they don't depress that far (I can't even see the -water-). How in the world are you supposed to -aim- them?

I'll come back and try it again tomorrow, but I'm definitely unimpressed so far. Sad, cause I was really looking forward to this title.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2009, 19:45.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Beta Opens for the Holidays
4. Re: Heroes of Newerth Beta Opens for the Holidays Dec 23, 2009, 14:44 Stormsinger

Had I recognized the company name, I'd probably have been a bit less surprised. Savage hit me exactly the same way back when I tried it...no docs (in my experience, it appears that S2 simply doesn't believe in them), and yet the "community" would rip you a new one for even a little mistake.  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Beta Opens for the Holidays
1. Re: Heroes of Newerth Beta Opens for the Holidays Dec 23, 2009, 01:16 Stormsinger

I dunno about the game, but take warning, the community over there...how should I say it...is exceedingly newbie-unfriendly.

In a newbie-only game even. It clearly reminded me why I don't really like online games...and why the DotA games (which all seem to be lacking any meaningful single-player side) appear to be a genre I will simply never be allowed to appreciate.

So, screw 'em. Although I do appreciate being able to learn this for free, rather than having to buy the game first.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 11, 2009, 14:28 Stormsinger

Okay now, that bear attack is really amazing. Not just the damage he did, but the repair job made to fly it home. I have to admit they grow 'em tough in Alaska.  

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles
9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Nov 4, 2009, 12:30 Stormsinger

Awesome demo, Cliff. GSB was already on my to-buy list, but now it's reached the point where I may not be willing to wait until after I find new employment. It looks good for many hours of fun, which makes it a bargain in my view. I'm sure I'll pick it up in the next few weeks.  

News Comments > Torchlight Mods
4. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 10:31 Stormsinger

What difference does it make if they're all released at once? Are you expecting these games to be limited time offers, and to be removed from the market in 3 months or something?

Buy what sounds best and what you can afford...when you finish playing those, you can come back and buy another one. It's really not rocket science.

News Comments > Star Sentinel Tactics Announced
1. Re: Star Sentinel Tactics Announced Oct 22, 2009, 12:01 Stormsinger

"a squad of United Alliance Marines, as they battle to prevent a race of bloodthirsty reptilians from launching a devastating attack on our Galaxy."

I'm not really sure who's at fault on this, but it drives me right up the wall every time I see such absolutely terrible writing for a game's backstory. A single -squad-, to defeat a force that's going to attack an entire -galaxy-? Just flipping ridiculous...

News Comments > Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers
16. Re: Borderlands Midnight Madness & Trailers Oct 19, 2009, 22:54 Stormsinger

... gotta wait another 7 days for the PC version because the empty suits are afraid of the big bad pirates will take away sales of their precious console versions.

Hump's probably closer than most here. And yet, it's awfully hard to say they're wrong in this belief. When you see tens or hundreds of thousands of downloads, only a liar or a fool would claim that -none- of those represent lost sales.

The actual number of lost sales is, of course, up for debate. But delaying release for the most pirated version doesn't cost them much, if anything. If you -really- want to stop this practice, all you have to do is -not- buy the game in any version, and be sure to write the company and explain why. Then convince a few thousand friends to do the same. As soon as the delay appears to cost them more than it might earn, they'll stop doing it. Best of luck on that, btw.

News Comments > D&D Surface Demo
2. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 15:07 Stormsinger

This whole video leaves me feeling, "Meh!"

Converting a tabletop game to use a Surface should -not- mean duplicating everything exactly as it is done when playing with pencil & paper.

The Ruse videos were much better examples of how to use a Surface.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo