Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 232 (Novice)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August
3. Re: Pirates of the Burning Sea Expansion in August Jun 21, 2010, 20:40 Stormsinger

Ummm, wouldn't "more than four new factions" be more precisely stated as five? Stupid marketing speak...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2010, 19:55 Stormsinger

On a happier note, the "Women of Steampunk 2010" couldn't be more accurately titled and captioned. "Breath-Taking Ladies of Steampunk World's Fair 2010" and "The women of Steampunk World's Fair 2010 were an intoxicating mixture of loveliness, mystery and style".

Indeed, a remarkable collection of young ladies and costumes. I guess Steampunk's got a wider audience than I ever guessed.

News Comments > Captains of DarkTide Announced
4. Re: Captains of DarkTide Announced May 12, 2010, 14:50 Stormsinger

kynangLasco wrote on May 11, 2010, 13:02:
Just worked for me... I am using Firefox. Maybe a temporary glitch?

If by temporary, you mean they fixed it sometime in the last two hours, then I'd agree. The error message was not one that would go away by itself, it was a flat-out error in their SQL. Somebody changed either the SQL statement, or the structure of the tables involved.

They also changed at least one of the controls on that signup form. They did have a calendar control (a nonstandard one, at that) for birthdate, and no other way to set it...now they have dropdowns for month, day and year, still a stupid way to do it, but distinctly better than the first.

All that said, I'm happier about what the incident says about them than I was previously. Even if they didn't get it right or bother to test it ahead of time, they did fix it pretty quickly. In today's market, that's probably as good as it gets.

News Comments > Captains of DarkTide Announced
1. Re: Captains of DarkTide Announced May 11, 2010, 10:56 Stormsinger

Sadly, their signup for beta doesn't work. It just throws a nice mySQL error instead. I hope this is not a meaningful indication of the quality of the rest of their work, but...  

News Comments > Activision Reorganized
8. Re: Activision Reorganized Mar 31, 2010, 14:09 Stormsinger

Err...with all due respect, since when have the Elder gods cared about rules?  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week
13. Re: Heroes of Newerth Open Beta This Week Mar 29, 2010, 13:13 Stormsinger

QFT. I tried the game for about an hour. Now, I wouldn't have anything to do with that group of fuckups (I refuse to call it a community) if someone were to pay me to do so. I really have a hard time understanding how a game company can see this sort of behavior as something worth tolerating. It's virtually impossible to be a success when new customers are run out of town on a rail.
Frijoles wrote on Mar 29, 2010, 09:54:
10 comments and not a word about the shitty community both games have? Amazing. I believe it's been compared to, "Worst community in the online universe ever." I've only played HoN, and yeah, it sucks. LoL apparently is bad as well, but not as bad. A word of warning to anyone trying HoN, the Newbie games are not for Newbies. They're for people who are advanced in the game and want to stomp on newbies and then laugh/bitch about them. If you're looking to join a starter game, join one with a 1500 or so rating requirement. Much much better, and less yelling.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 22, 2010, 22:00 Stormsinger

Thinking about it, you're probably right Sepharo. Not bothering to mention the game just reeks of the attitudes one finds in the various commercial DotA spinoffs. They have the most insular, most unfriendly communities I've ever seen for any game. Bad enough that I wouldn't buy one of those games if it cost $.02.  

News Comments > Geneforge 4 Sales Figures
1. Re: Geneforge 4 Sales Figures Mar 22, 2010, 21:57 Stormsinger

The answer is, we value gameplay over eye candy. Spiderweb Software makes games that just ooze fantastic gameplay. The retro graphics are pretty much irrelevant.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Mar 22, 2010, 17:09 Stormsinger

wtf game are they even talking about in this highperching article?  

News Comments > Cheyenne Bankruptcy Interview
1. Re: Cheyenne Bankruptcy Interview Mar 17, 2010, 23:05 Stormsinger

You have to wonder if the confusion over who is in charge there is a more a symptom or a cause of their troubles. What kind of fucknuts don't know who's running the company, and how can such people find investors in the first place?

Alright, that might be harsh, but one of the absolute first tasks when setting up a business -has- to be delineating the lines of power...at least it is if you have any plans to succeed. Are we seeing yet another gaming company that thought it didn't need any business knowledge?

News Comments > Metaverse
3. Re: Metaverse Mar 7, 2010, 15:05 Stormsinger

I agree with you on the really intrusive ads...they are the reason why I (and most blockers, I believe) started blocking in the first place. But realistically, that's not something Ars puts up with from their advertisers. They really do work hard to keep a very clean, non-intrusive website.

They're one of the few I have whitelisted, along with BluesNews. And in all honesty, Ars is better about keeping their ads minimal. But BluesNews has ads that I'm more likely to be interested in (better targeting)...so those two show both of the approaches that are likely to get -my- eyes.

News Comments > No PC DeathSpank?
10. Re: No PC DeathSpank? Mar 4, 2010, 16:40 Stormsinger

Gotta say, with a name like that, I'm not terribly concerned whether it comes out for the PC or not. If the name was more over-the-top-stupid, like Space Bunnies Must Die, I'd buy it just for that. But I just don't do run-of-the-mill-stupid.  

News Comments > Darkfall Trial
3. Re: Darkfall Trial Feb 24, 2010, 22:26 Stormsinger

Probably as an attempt limit the damage free pests/griefers can do. It's better than nothing, but won't make any real difference.  

News Comments > Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment in Chapter 11
5. Re: Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment in Chapter 11 Feb 21, 2010, 20:57 Stormsinger

I was thinking the same thing, Wildone.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Colony Defense
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Colony Defense Feb 21, 2010, 20:40 Stormsinger

Didn't see a demo when I looked...guess I'll have to go look again.

And right there it was. I think I'm getting blind in my old age.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2010, 12:14 Stormsinger

Yeah, that poor attempted-mass-murderer (he may have only killed one, but he sure tried for bunches)...he had it so bad, little more than a nice home and a private plane. What a horrible life.

I'm still curious just -what- he expected to happen when he set out to twist or manipulate (which sounds a bit like defraud) the tax system... Did he really expect a powerful bureaucracy to just roll over and play dead for him? Sounded like he brought most of his troubles on himself.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
16. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 12:30 Stormsinger

Surf wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 11:27:
I have no interest in this game, but I will tell you when I worked on and played on Ultima Online, that was the ONLY MMORPG that had consequences to your death(s).
Um...no, no it wasn't. Simutronics games had 2000+ simultaneous players in a single world, which should qualify them as MMORPGs by any reasonable definition. They also had consequences to dying, up to and including permanent loss of the character. All this -years- before coding on UO was even started and more years after it opened.

News Comments > GPG on the Cost of Independence
3. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 12:22 Stormsinger

As another old fart, I think you're generalizing from too few cases. I've gone the other direction, moving from primarily valuing the material towards valuing art and people more. Ayn Rand mainly appeals to people too young to have realized that it just doesn't work like that.

I believe the extreme emphasis on greed to be [probably] the largest part of the reason our world is such a frikkin mess. "Greed is good" was supposed to be a self-justification by the bad guy...yet somehow it has been morphed into a "truth". When did we decide to let the psychopaths run the world?

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
7. Re: EA Server Shutdowns Feb 17, 2010, 00:23 Stormsinger

The manpower for keeping a server running is pretty damned close to zero. When I left Simutronics, we were still running a server for the original Cyberstrike game, which had maybe a dozen players by that time (total, not simultaneous). Basically, running it meant starting the shell script after a power failure. Same was true for all but our newest games...there really isn't any cost to continue running one, outside of replacing hardware that dies (a rare and cheap event).

If their servers take much more than that to run, especially on games several years old that see no updates, then their programmers and admins are completely incompetent.

NKD wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 22:57:
Meh. They can't be obligated to support these games for eternity, and if the 0.3% figure is accurate, I can't see any argument for wasting manpower on them.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2010, 13:49 Stormsinger

It -absolutely- is an unfair advantage, just like broadband was in your example. Either case is like playing a game of Monopoly where anyone who makes $100K/year gets double the normal starting cash.

That said, some people may not mind (like you), but in any competitive game, the playing field should be level, or at least any advantages should be clear and agreed upon from the start.

232 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo