Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 250 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Jurassic Park: The Game in November
4. Re: Jurassic Park: The Game in November Aug 23, 2011, 19:17 Stormsinger

Really? How many Jurassic Park flops do we need?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced
19. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 19:11 Stormsinger

kanniballl wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:09:
-EDIT-

Just watched part of the trailer instead of relying on the pic

OK, it's more sci-fi than I thought. But if you're going to distinguish yourself from the fantasy MMO's by going the sci-fi route, I suggest emphasizing the differences more. Instead of rocky terrain and simple analogs for sorceress and barbarian/troll, maybe something that looks more space-y.

Like a abandoned futuristic city with metal, and the heroes not wearing what might as well be WoW clothes with the occasional LED.

But that's just my opinion: why bother going the sci-fi route to be different, if so much of it's going to be the same.

It's not science fiction. It's space-opera. Big difference.

Space-opera really is just fantasy set in space. So naturally you get what you see here...same old same old, with a new background image.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Trailer
3. Re: Jagged Alliance Online Trailer Aug 12, 2011, 19:01 Stormsinger

Fidel "Leave me alone, I'm busy" Dahan, FTW!  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 12, 2011, 18:54 Stormsinger

I just want to know when the era of the end of the PC era is going to end...  

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest
10. Re: Heroes of Newerth F2P, Some Players Protest Jul 31, 2011, 00:49 Stormsinger

Yep, there's no doubt they have the absolutely worst community I've ever run across for any online (or offline) game. I'm pretty sure you'd find a more enjoyable crowd to hang with in Leavenworth.

I'll even go you one better, Teddy. I wouldn't play it if they were offering to pay me, precisely because of the assholes that make up the majority of the player base.

News Comments > Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel
15. Re: Bill Roper Joins Disney/Marvel Jul 23, 2011, 16:24 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Jul 23, 2011, 11:58:
For fuck's sake, how DOES this goddamned toolbag keep getting jobs???? ATTENTION GAME INDUSTRY: THE GUY IS FUCKING WORTHLESS. STOP HIRING HIS DUMB ASS.

Shit, and we think the NFL is an "old boys network." They've got NOTHING on the fucking idiot game industry.

Creston

It has nothing to do with the game industry...virtually -all- of the big corporations work this way. Getting an executive position at one of them has nothing to do with actual past performance, it's all who you know and how well you bullshit.

News Comments > No Skyrim Demo Planned
45. Re: No Skyrim Demo Planned Jul 14, 2011, 23:22 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 11:45:

Since the world is so "huge and complex", why is it that every Elder Scrolls game has been simpler and more "streamlined" then the one that preceded it?

Because it would take two decades for the Skyrim team to make a world the size of Daggerfall in the level of detail they work with.

Or they could just recycle the same dungeon map over and over and over as DA2 apparently did (I'm still baffled by this.)

Bah! There were at least three dungeon maps they recycled over and over (and over and over)...

News Comments > Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen
13. Re: Card Writing for Firefall, Red 5 Battling Webzen Jul 4, 2011, 19:37 Stormsinger

InBlack wrote on Jul 4, 2011, 09:06:
Common its not like he's another Hubbard is he? Poligamy FTW!

No, he's not like Hubbard. Card is an extremely talented writer...pretty much the exact opposite of Hubbard.

News Comments > EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar
25. Re: EVE Online Microtransaction Uproar Jun 25, 2011, 12:41 Stormsinger

Bhruic wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 21:58:
Considering the various controversies that CCP has found themselves in with EVE over the years, it's hard to understand how they have any credibility any more.
QFT

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December
36. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December Jun 25, 2011, 12:25 Stormsinger

Jonny wrote on Jun 25, 2011, 06:03:
Stormsinger wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 20:03:
Jonny wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 19:36:
Pity all those who stuck with it are being buggered for EA/Bioware's bottom line though.
Say what?! You really think Sony gives two fucks for EA's bottom line?

Not at all, but as others have said, Lucasarts will care. Pretty sure the license to run a Star Wars MMO has been yanked from Sony so as not to confuse the public by offering two MMOs of the same IP.

But even there, LucasArts doesn't give a damn about EA's bottom line. LucasArts cares about LucasArts' bottom line...nothing more. Nobody is doing anything for the sake of EA's bottom line except EA (and I have my doubts about whether there is any intelligence behind their actions too).

That said, I'm not terribly clear why anyone would think SWG's tiny market share would have the slightest effect on TOR...the only way that could happen is if TOR is a massive failure.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December
26. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Ending in December Jun 24, 2011, 20:03 Stormsinger

Jonny wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 19:36:
Pity all those who stuck with it are being buggered for EA/Bioware's bottom line though.
Say what?! You really think Sony gives two fucks for EA's bottom line?

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine E3 Trailer
8. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine E3 Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 18:05 Stormsinger

Tumbler wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 17:11:
There aren't chainsaws in Warhammer 40k. That is a Chainsword.

: :-snort-: : Too picky!

Does it have a chain? Check
Does it cut shit? Check

That's all I really need to know.

News Comments > Bungie Announcement Next Week?
14. Re: Bungie Announcement Next Week? May 30, 2011, 13:26 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on May 30, 2011, 10:26:
How about a 3rd person cover based shooter! Maybe in the future with mutants or something. Throw in some driving too. Then add cowboys and give it a western theme. Add some raft ride gameplay in there too, ppl love that.

You just described Gears of War meets Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath meets Halo meets Toobin'.

I figured it was some "Cowboys and Aliens" license...

News Comments > Diablo III in the "Home Stretch"
6. Re: Diablo III in the "Home Stretch" Apr 28, 2011, 11:03 Stormsinger

Crunching is when the magic happens? What a load of crap...

Crunching is nothing more than shitty project management. It's purely a sign of incompetence, not something positive.

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
27. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 19:02 Stormsinger

Kajetan wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:45:
FreezeStrike wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 14:31:
Worked on a game; we put in several subtly broken feature that we knew pirates would miss when they generated cracked copies of the game.
What does a dev gain from this besides some nerdy superiority chuckles? Does it make more revenue? Or does it piss off legit customers, when these triggers were not programmed well enough and were triggered even with legit copies? I experienced this with my legal copy of "Darkstar One" and got banned from the devs forum UNTIL i sent them a picture of the bill. Its save to say, that this was the last game i bought from them, ever. Was very happy, when they went bancrupt a few years ago.

I don't know about -this- case, but it certainly could be used to get a meaningful measure of the real piracy rate. Something that nobody else could possibly get...and maybe no other way would be as accurate. That, in turn, can influence how much effort should be put into reducing that rate. All in all, it seems an experiment worth doing, with the obvious caveat that one must spend mucho effort making sure your triggers work when and only when they should.

News Comments > Minecraft Grosses ~$33M
28. Re: Minecraft Grosses ~$33M Apr 6, 2011, 19:15 Stormsinger

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 16:45:
Rattlehead wrote on Apr 6, 2011, 15:23:

Indies proving the PC market may not make you filthy billionaire, but they can make you just a millionaire.

Good news both for indies and the PC market since it proves it is very, very viable for an indie.
There are hundreds and hundreds of indie games out there on Steam that don't seem to amount to anything. Minecraft is and always will be a fluke. Everyday I boot up Steam, I see the advertisement for some unknown indie game that's been released, close it, and never hear of it again.

I'm not saying there isn't a market, but there are tons of indie games out there that amount to nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Dude, most new companies, projects, products, fail. Somewhere around 97% of them. When something succeeds, it should not be considered a fluke. A fluke means it was pure luck. What separates luck from success is hard work. Don't ever forget that.

OTOH, you can work your ass off for your whole life, and if you don't have some luck, you'll still die poor. Don't ever forget that luck is a -huge- factor in life...

News Comments > Star Trek Online Mission Creator
7. Re: Star Trek Online Mission Creator Apr 2, 2011, 11:06 Stormsinger

Remember a few years back, when user-created content was the Holy Grail of MMO gaming?

Then after everyone was promising the moon for a couple of years, they figured out that it was damned hard to do without destroying the game (or getting the company sued into oblivion), and the whole discussion just evaporated... Only a handful of games ever got -any- such tools, and of those, most suck.

I think the only one that actually impressed me was CoX. But I was late coming to that party and didn't see the early versions, just the final well-polished results.

I wonder if it's worth $15 to take a look at this one...

News Comments > Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports
38. Re: Avalanche on Piracy, DRM, and Ports Mar 27, 2011, 12:23 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2011, 15:58:
Distain? You mean disdain.

Anyway, DRM is useless. It doesn't stop theft. Anymore than anti-theft devices on cars do. If someone really wants to steal something they're going to do it regardless.

I was just coming here to make the same point, from the other side (if your post was sarcasm, then I guess it was the same side).

DRM, precisely like locks, was never intended nor expected to prevent all theft. If locks prevent some noticeable percentage of theft (and I doubt you'll find many who believe otherwise), or if DRM prevents some noticeable percentage of piracy, then they certainly have served a legitimate purpose.

The hypocrisy on this subject from the pro-piracy crowd is mind-boggling. I think we need a new rule...if you want DRM done away with on software you did not write, first you need to remove all your locks from things you did not build.

So when are we going to start a campaign to get rid of locks on cars and houses?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Phantom Menace in 3D Mar 4, 2011, 18:34 Stormsinger

Since when is a sequel (or prequel) to a movie a remake?

I'll grant you that most sequels suck, but let's try to keep a certain amount of accuracy in our QQ'ing.

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Stock Offer
4. Re: Interstellar Marines Stock Offer Feb 27, 2011, 00:29 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 17:17:
Why not just ask people to buy company stock?

Likely because you couldn't get anything like that kind of price for stock in a company that doesn't actually have a product yet. I had options with my last company (who had actual games out, and a real revenue stream) and they weren't valued anywhere near $5 a share.

Offering it as an "extra goodie" to the fanbois is probably going to get more interest anyway.

250 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo