Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 272 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
26. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 17:30 Stormsinger

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:21:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:15:
Luke wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:19:
talk to kotaku but not the d3 forum ok ok

So many of your posts are like fun little riddles. I'm thinking "what is he trying to convey here" with your short little sentences with words that don't quite fit together.

Seems pretty obvious. He's annoyed that they will talk to Kotaku, but not answer these questions in the D3 forums where actual D3 players are asking them.
Hell, -I- am an actual D3 player, but I wouldn't read or post on the Blizzard boards...that place is too toxic for me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
7. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 22, 2012, 13:17 Stormsinger

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 12:30:
I don't know exactly how it all works, but I think there's a difference between authorizing a purchase and fully processing it. Basically they don't want anyone to be able to buy the game with their card, do whatever they want for a couple days, and then Blizzard finds out that they have disputed the charge on their card or something and they don't get paid.

Authorizing doesn't prevent disputes...nor does waiting for an actual payment. Authorizing simply verifies that the card is valid and not overlimit, and reserves the amount of purchase within the credit limit.

In other words, an authorization is as good as a purchase, for anything except withdrawing the cash out of the bank.

This explanation doesn't hold water...the more likely reason is that batch processing is cheaper than real-time processing of charges, so Blizzard only submits charges to the payment processor once a day (and maybe even less on weekends).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Deadbolt locks Jun 1, 2012, 20:56 Stormsinger

Yeah, I'm going to take my security advice from a guy who thinks someone is replacing his coffee and toothpaste to make him insane. Totally invalidates the rest of his article, as I don't accept guidance from psychotics.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
17. Re: Morning Mobilization May 4, 2012, 19:07 Stormsinger

The sweatshop labor costs certainly don't hurt the profit margins either.
Creston wrote on May 4, 2012, 11:09:
With 8.8% of market share, Apple has 73% of cell phone profits.

Conclusion: Apple products are hideously overpriced, yet hipsters continue to buy them like it's the last bottle of water in a desert.

Creston

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2012, 15:41 Stormsinger

Ratty wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 15:09:
Rossafur wrote on Mar 28, 2012, 14:16:
A couple quick thoughts about the human CO2 emissions article:

1. As one commenter pointed out, the argument is akin to saying that since people killed each other before guns were invented, guns couldn't also be used to kill people.

2. The Daily Mail is *not* a super reliable source.

3. "The research was recently published online in the journal Earth And Planetary Science Letters and will appear in print on ****April 1****." [emphasis mine]

This is a pretty big deal. Though the Daily Mail isn't the most unbiased source they do point to a reputable journal.

Man-made global warming deniers always point to Europe's little ice age and the warming trend that preceded it. And supporters always rebut this by pointing out it only took place in Europe and is irrelevant for the discussion of global warming. If this research bears out, it's a huge blow to supporters' theories. A couple of other points still stand though: The warming trend in question was far, far less in magnitude than what we're seeing today and it is believed to have happened during a solar maximum, again, unlike today. So it's still not a total disproof but a significant blow nevertheless.

Not a big deal at all, it's just more "climategate" crap getting blown up out of proportion by the carbon industry's sockpuppets. For exactly the reasons you state...the medieval warming was far smaller, and during a solar maximum. IOW, this "new" study really changes nothing.

I think Rossafur put it best in his point #1.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
11. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 11, 2012, 15:51 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:39:
Snabel wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:30:
Me and everyone else respectfully disagrees with you. I loved the movie and the direction it's going in :)

If by "everyone else" you mean you and a few other faux Trek fans then you're correct. I enjoyed it as a good sci-fi space romp - and Karl Urban as Bones was perfect for the role - but I don't see it as real Star Trek. It's JJ's alternate-universe-dumbed-down-for-the-masses-over-the-top-action standard schlock. Mr. Roddenberry wouldn't have been too pleased with it. Star Trek, first and foremost, is about peaceful exploration, science, diplomacy, and all that other good stuff the masses find boring. The action aspect of it was the minor part of it and should always be that way. This is where STO fell down, and it's where this game is going to fall down - but it'll do well with those masses no doubt. No, this game and what JJ are doing is Derp Trek.

I'm not sure how it would be possible to dumb-down James "Screw-the-Prime-Directive-I-Want-the-Girl" Kirk. Maybe you mean dumb-in-another-way?

News Comments > Fray Preorders/Alpha Next Release Month
4. Re: Fray Preorders/Alpha Next Release Month Jan 29, 2012, 00:43 Stormsinger

Multiplayer only? Bummer...it was sounding rather interesting until then.  

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
40. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 13:37 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:58:
I have no problem with them rolling back the ill-gotten gains, but why are people being banned for playing the game?
Creston

Probably because people who use exploits (especially against other players) will do so again and again*. Cheaters will cheat. Banning them costs you fewer players than keeping them. Just like kicking a card cheat out of the poker game...if you find someone cheating and let him continue to play, your honest players will leave.

* based on 12+ years in the MMO industry.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 21, 2012, 13:16 Stormsinger

The "article's" (using the term loosely) description of the Oracle flaw has got to be one of the most incoherent things I've ever read. Nothing in that description makes the slightest sense. A sequential number is not anchored to a point in time, in ANY way.

I guess it's just proof that the website doesn't actually have the knowledge (or care if it's authors do) to write such articles.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Unstoppable Gorg Jan 19, 2012, 21:49 Stormsinger

2 GB on your hard drive? WTF kind of tower defense is this?  

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
126. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 21:17 Stormsinger

ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:17:
Leave the financial play for those who understand it, you sure don't seem to understand that much at all.

Right, those that understand it, like the big banks and ratings companies that crashed the world economy. You know, the folks that really know what they're doing.

</sarcasm>

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems
25. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 09:43 Stormsinger

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 05:43:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 21:06:
Personally I couldn't care less about PvP issues...it's just not my cup of tea.

What gets to me is that this is now the second update I've had to get, and the second time I get an "Error in update" message, which forces a repair that means effectively downloading the entire app again...all 5+ GB of it. Two for two isn't very impressive.

I haven't had any issues updating - even on multiple computers. Which AV do you use? Have you tried disabling it in advance?

I'm using Avast, and no, I didn't disable it in advance. Why would I after only one error? Next time I -might- consider it, but damned if I can figure out why TOR would be the only downloader affected.

The real issue with it isn't even that it had an error. It's that "repair" apparently means download everything from scratch. That's just stupid and lazy on the part of the author(s) of the launcher.

12. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 22:45 Stormsinger

nin wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 22:34:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 22:26:
We would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to make Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ one of the most successful MMO launches of all time. To show our appreciation, from now through March 19th, 2012, 12:01AM EST, we are rewarding early members of The Old Republic community with a unique Founder’s medal* and title.

What a wonderful time to introduce this.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=198797

I like the fine print that says it only applies to people who are billed at least one cycle. So thanks for buying the game, but this only applies to those that fork over another $15...

Really?

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120118-0

Well, if you're not going to be playing past the first month, why would you care about a title anyway?

4. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 18, 2012, 21:06 Stormsinger

Personally I couldn't care less about PvP issues...it's just not my cup of tea.

What gets to me is that this is now the second update I've had to get, and the second time I get an "Error in update" message, which forces a repair that means effectively downloading the entire app again...all 5+ GB of it. Two for two isn't very impressive.

News Comments > Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church
13. Re: Sweden Recognizes File-Sharing Church Jan 4, 2012, 19:15 Stormsinger

Quboid wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 16:38:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 16:06:
Quboid wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 14:02:
This is clearly made up bullshit, transparently invented for nothing more than political convenience and control.

Or as Blue succinctly put it, a "religion".

If a hack writer and petty criminal can come up with his own religion, why not file sharers? Perhaps Mr. Cruise will switch faiths?

I believe* Scientology, purely because there's no way a science fiction author would make up something that awful.

* I don't.

You clearly haven't read any of Hubbard's science fiction (using the term VERY loosely) books...

Once a hack, always a hack.

News Comments > The Lure of the Dark Side
17. Re: The Lure of the Dark Side Dec 24, 2011, 21:58 Stormsinger

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 17:04:
JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 11:40:
Fion wrote on Dec 24, 2011, 11:15:
550'000 Sith Warriors to 510'00 Jedi Knights seems pretty balanced to me. The PvP (from what I've experienced) is pretty balanced as well. I play Republic side and win about half our matches. It's more than I can say for that other MMOG that has yet to find balance in almost 7 years.

Well, unfortunately that might change in the future. Having played almost every PvP related MMO over the last 15 years, I've noticed a phenomenon. It's called "join the winning team", and it might be human nature. Once one side starts winning more than the other, even if it's 51/49, people who want to win start switching to the winning side. Then it becomes 52/48, 60/40, 65/35, until it's unbalanced. You see the phenomenon outside of gaming too, with people suddenly being "huge fans" of whichever sport's team is good that year, etc. Might be premature to call the PvP in this game "balanced".

The most balanced PvP games I've seen were ones where there were more than two factions, as then the weaker factions team up to defeat the strongest. Planetside with three sides, Dark Age of Camelot with three sides, etc. In my opinion if there are only two sides, Horde/Alliance, Sith/Jedi, it will NEVER be balanced.

This point is exactly right. Two sided pvp never works because of the above reasons. If you want to play SWTOR for pvp you better do it now because the servers will be empty in 6 months.

There are many ways to make two-sided pvp work...you can instance things and ensure the numbers are equal, you can modify combat values to "handicap" the less popular side (and even automate the handicapping), you can have mirrored classes on both sides, to reduce the inherent appeal/power of unique classes (not my own choice of approach, but it can work).

"Never" is almost always wrong.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 20, 2011, 13:47 Stormsinger

So Seagate cut back on warranties in order to free up the money needed to buy Samsung's business. All I can say is I'm glad I took Seagate off my vendor list some 10-12 years ago...I don't have to waste time doing it now.  

News Comments > Unstoppable Gorg Trailer; Details
4. Re: Unstoppable Gorg Trailer; Details Dec 9, 2011, 20:16 Stormsinger

I love TD games, but was more than a bit put off by the "homage to vintage sci-fi films from the 1050s." Fortunately, to judge by the trailer, said homage wouldn't appear to have anything to do with the game, just the trailer itself and possibly some cut scenes.

I can probably overlook the crap if the gameplay is decent.

News Comments > Starbreeze Working on New IP
8. Re: Starbreeze Working on New IP Sep 20, 2011, 00:22 Stormsinger

More work for the studio is fine, but can we PLEASE stop referring to a FPS Syndicate as a "remake"? It flat isn't. Sequel maybe, but not remake.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 19:22 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to figure out how Thursday is October...Did I lose a few weeks or something?  

272 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo