Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 282 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > I Am Weapon and Demo Released
2. Re: I Am Weapon and Demo Released Sep 27, 2012, 19:23 Stormsinger

Dev wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:55:
I've bought and played and liked their games before. On steam.

Why isn't this on steam? Sigma sells a lot of copies of their other games there. If its priced reasonably I'll probably buy it... on steam. I have enough accounts on other game websites.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was because it just isn't ready yet. No localization (everything is in Russian or some other Cyrillic language). Movies (or something) that are nothing but a black screen with a Close button (the only thing I saw in English).

I'll look at it again when it's localized and on Steam...maybe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tryst Demo
5. Re: Tryst Demo Sep 26, 2012, 18:59 Stormsinger

No single-player component to the demo, no playing with other demo players. Sounds like the demo is primarily supposed to provide a set of easy victims for those who buy the game.

I'll pass.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control
9. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control Sep 17, 2012, 21:31 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 21:19:
Did you buy it from Impulse way back? ^^ In that case you won't have received a serial per email only a order confirmation. Only way to see your serial is to login to your impulse account (now owned by Gamestop) and see if they let you access your owned games still.
Nah...I didn't buy anything from Impulse, since before it was named Impulse. And I'm pretty sure that would predate GSB. I'll hunt for a bit longer, but if I don't find it in a day or two, I'll just repurchase. I've no objection to keeping Cliffski profitable...I like most of his games quite a bit.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control
5. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles Adding Direct Control Sep 17, 2012, 20:46 Stormsinger

Drats! I went to update my copy, and discovered that it was apparently installed on my old machine, and I no longer remember where I bought it. Doesn't appear to be steam, and I can't find any other records...so I guess I may have to buy it again.

At least Cliff's games are cheaply priced. And since I enjoy most of them, buying a second copy won't bother me.

News Comments > BIS Espionage Charges Follow-Up
9. Re: BIS Espionage Charges Follow-Up Sep 17, 2012, 19:47 Stormsinger

Is this a typo? "...which claims the co-workers were taking a vacation together during crunch time."

What kind of studio lets multiple developers take a vacation -during- crunch time?

It's got to be a typo..surely it should have said "after crunch time".

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Launches
6. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Sep 15, 2012, 15:00 Stormsinger

Ozmodan wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 14:46:
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 11:29:
Really? The link is right there...how hard is it to click it, then click FAQ, and read the answer?

For pity's sake (I'd hate to see you strain your clicking finger), the answer is yes.

Someone asked a question and you come back like a jerk, either answer the question or stop trolling.

Yes the game is f2p and don't apologize to jerks.

Sure...a snarky answer (and I -did- give the answer, you know) is so much worse than being too lazy to click a link, and asking others to do it for you.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance Online Launches
2. Re: Foolzatch@gmail.com Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 Stormsinger

Really? The link is right there...how hard is it to click it, then click FAQ, and read the answer?

For pity's sake (I'd hate to see you strain your clicking finger), the answer is yes.

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
30. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 20:49 Stormsinger

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:52:
Get back to me when you have something that I can plug directly into the base of my skull. Till then I'll be waiting here watching Ghost in the Shell and wishing I also got a degree in biology as well as computer science. Then again, that degree might just tell me why that shit will never work, which would just make me sad.
Uh...no. There isn't a software (or hardware) company out there I'd trust to write code I'm going to run in my brain. Nor, for that matter, to make a plug that directly connects to any part of my central nervous system.

You think security and stability is hard now? Just wait until a bug can crash your brain. You only get one...they're kind of hard to replace.

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
33. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 19:03 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:44:
Best character creation ever. I could - and did - spend days at a time just making characters for themes, costume contests, etc. Every MMO needs to take a page from CoX on this.

Mission Architect was a step in the right direction but far too late. Much like Cryptic's Foundry, MMOs and evern CRPGs should always strive to enable user made content. It's just a no brainer.

The rest of the game pretty much sucked IMO. Same with CO. Still waiting on a good online/co-op/multiplayer superhero game.

Personally, I never did agree that player made content was a good idea. Copyright infringement (some players -will- import items copied from other sources) and taste/obscenity issues (remember the penis storms in Second Life) mean that if you don't inspect and approve every individual item, sooner or later, you've opened your company up to all kinds of liability issues.

That said, the final version of the MA was better than I thought possible.

30. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:39 Stormsinger

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:01:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:38:
Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:33:
When I was laid off from Paragon almost two years ago, I thought they had another 6mos, maybe a year left in them. I was wrong apparently. They managed to scrape by for another 22 months.

I'm sad to see my friends and former co-workers set loose today, but I'm confident they'll find greener pastures soon enough.

Admittedly, it's always a bummer when people you know personally get handed a setback that alters their life. You know how stressful it's going to be for them.

Still, I remember hearing about the Mission Architect and saying "Really? That's your plan to bring the sub numbers back up?". It didn't go over well. It reeked of desperation at the time.

Mission Architect was never designed to bring subs back. It was just one feature of many in an attempt to stem the loss of players over time. Fact is, very few games can maintain relevance for years and years on end, MMO or not. You'll always have your small, hardcore, slightly insane group of players who will be there playing until the end, but the majority of the playerbase is just recycled out for new players and not a damn thing you can do about it.

Really, it started out as a tool to allow Joe M. to create burnable content more easily and at some point it expanded into a 'Hey, why don't we let the players use this too?'

Lot of mistakes made with MA and how it was implemented, but the underlying idea of letting people who've invented a superhero character also write their own story content to play and sahre was a good idea no matter how you spin it.

And let's not forget that the MA was built and released during the years when "player-created content" was being touted as the holy grail of online games. In all honesty, CoX was the -only- game I saw that even came close to making it a reality...even if it did take a lot of tweaking after release to get there.

CoX kept my interest far longer than any other graphical MMO...and I don't even -like- the superhero genre. I find that to be a rather amazing achievement, although it's clear others have other viewpoints.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:37 Stormsinger

I agree here, the bans are in poor form. They need the ability to trade-lock players. Then they can give the player the choice between being trade locked or having their items/money rolled back.

In fact, the game could auto trade-lock people who have an unusually high accumulation of wealth.
In what bizarro universe is banning cheaters from a multi-player game "bad form"? Frankly, the only bad form here is backing down and reducing the perma-ban to a meaningless 72 hours. I don't want to play with cheaters, nor does anyone I call a friend.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 16:46.

11. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:19 Stormsinger

Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

I would say that it says a lot about the relative value of IP, versus actual gameplay. Good gameplay keeps players, IP (good or bad) doesn't.

The only value in big-name IP is getting players to take a look at the game in the first place. After that, gameplay is all that matters. And there are plenty of alternative ways to get that first look...many of them cheaper than licensing IP.

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
26. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 20:13 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 15:53:
What IPs do they own? Um, none.
What difference would it make? IPs have diddly squat to do with the quality of a game.

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year
15. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 14:47 Stormsinger

Bet wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:44:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 11:45:
nin wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 10:19:
I could never get past the last set of levels, when you're on the roof...

Whenever I got stuck, I'd give it to my 5 year old. I don't know how, but he managed to finish the game. Trial and error (dozens of times) appears to be the solution.
Just out of curiosity, are are either of you good at Defense Grid? Wondering if the Tower Defense skillset is why it's so bizarrely easy for most people I know. I think I got through the campaign 3 times in the first day (it was like caffeine, couldn't sleep).

Key to roof levels was artillery (first corn, then watermelons) on the back end and those umbrella-leaf plants that protect from the bungee zombies/thrown guys.

Every plant has a purpose, which is why I've wondered since that fateful day...how could they ever do a sequel and introduce new plants? There were already a few useless ones, so anything they add will just be overpowered or useless.
I'd guess that they would have to start with new terrain and new immunities. Then add new plants as counters and combinations to respond.

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year
10. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Sequel Next Year Aug 20, 2012, 12:35 Stormsinger

I can't do the final set anymore...mainly because it doesn't get any easier the fourth or fifth time you play it, and it's a damned frustrating set of levels. That set is not impossible to beat, just not very enjoyable.

I'll undoubtedly shell out for the sequel though...it's the best thing any EA group has put out in years.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today
7. Re: Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today Aug 17, 2012, 21:28 Stormsinger

Yakubs wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:35:
The community is the same as any other community in gaming, really. It's just that LoL/DotA/HoN are 5-man team games where all players on the team have a huge impact on the game's result and each person's performance is clear to the rest of the team during the game. It's not exactly surprising that tempers flare.
Not even close...if all the online communities were like HoN, I'd have ripped the internet out by its roots years ago.

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today
1. Re: Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today Aug 17, 2012, 12:50 Stormsinger

If they ever get around to releasing a version with a carefully selected set of players, such that the community is less...assholish, then maybe I'll give it another try. Til then, I'd rather swim in raw sewage...it'd be more pleasant.  

News Comments > Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney
21. Re: Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney Aug 16, 2012, 18:00 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:27:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:20:
Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:00:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:13:
Fion wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 13:34:
AI will continue to suck if the console remains the dominant platform. With such strict resource management console games require very little of the hardware is every dedicated to AI. Not when console gamers continue to scream for better graphics that these aging consoles are increasingly unable to put out.

If a game company is going to come along and write an amazing AI for their game, it'll be a PC game. Perhaps someone should write an AI API. There are already API's for just about everything else after all.

Good post, what I was going to say.

I think you guys are confusing combat AI and non-combat AI.

Consoles can handle non-combat AI just fine, because it isn't intensive. Virtually everything he's talking about is scripted. Character development? Conversations? You can do that with a Nintendo just fine.
Scripts are NOT AI. Scripts are preplanned responses, nothing more. You can -fake- AI with scripts, but it just ain't the real thing.

Scripting is a form of AI.
And, if you read the article, it's what he's talking about. He mentions conversations and characters. By default you need to script conversations and characters. Yes, you can make it somewhat dynamic, but even then it's based off of a script.

In essence, though, he's talking about making believable people, not enemies that react a certain way.

Again, I wish people would read the article (but even then Blue summed it up adequately) rather than see "AI" and think "oh man, he means making us fight smarter guys!" He doesn't. He means making the NPCs we interact with seem like people or characters rather than tools.
Scripting is AI in the same sense that kids coloring books are art.

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about combat AI or non-combat AI...scripts utterly suck at either, unless your game engine is completely simplistic and does not allow for anything outside of a handful of actions by the players (which is another whole level of suck).

Believable people cannot be done adequately via scripting, since they'll never have any useful/reasonable/believable response to any event that wasn't expected. A real person has a reaction to a murder that happens in front of them...a scripted NPC often does not. A real person has a reaction when someone gets sick in front of them...I've never seen a scripted NPC do so.

You -cannot- plan and script for every possible event...not as long as those scripts are written by humans. But it is quite possible to build general AIs that can adjust their actions to support whatever goals and desires have been defined for the NPC. Oddly, these even work when systems change, or in games where emergent behaviors are possible.

18. Re: Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney Aug 16, 2012, 15:20 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:00:
Ozmodan wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:13:
Fion wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 13:34:
AI will continue to suck if the console remains the dominant platform. With such strict resource management console games require very little of the hardware is every dedicated to AI. Not when console gamers continue to scream for better graphics that these aging consoles are increasingly unable to put out.

If a game company is going to come along and write an amazing AI for their game, it'll be a PC game. Perhaps someone should write an AI API. There are already API's for just about everything else after all.

Good post, what I was going to say.

I think you guys are confusing combat AI and non-combat AI.

Consoles can handle non-combat AI just fine, because it isn't intensive. Virtually everything he's talking about is scripted. Character development? Conversations? You can do that with a Nintendo just fine.
Scripts are NOT AI. Scripts are preplanned responses, nothing more. You can -fake- AI with scripts, but it just ain't the real thing.

17. Re: Spector Calls Out Carmack & Sweeney Aug 16, 2012, 15:18 Stormsinger

born2expire wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:01:
Yay! lets work for Disney where you barely own the paycheque you earn, Disney keeps ALL their IP's in house and if they can't own 100% of it they don't want it.
Unless, of course, they just steal it instead...Lion King, Mickey Mouse, most of their biggest properties over the decades were flat-out stolen.

They -should- be talking about the possibility of redemption, but I'm pretty sure that's not really what Spector means.

282 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo