Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 306 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 Stormsinger

Washington has never had any more (or any less) trouble making large, complex websites than any other organization. Especially any other organization where ~48% of the people are actively trying to sabotage things.

NOBODY does big web-based systems well...at best, they grown them over a decade and get something moderately functional (like Amazon). Just give any of the big help-desk apps a try, and you'll see what a hellish nightmare the "best software companies" produce.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 30, 2015, 12:12 Stormsinger

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 11:05:
Verno wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 10:51:
The EMDrive stuff is very interesting, it freaks me out to hear some of the smartest minds in the field admit it can work but that they can't explain how.

The thing that blows me fucking away about this drive, which I've been reading about for about a decade, is that no one wants to front the fucking money to actually test it in space. Point it at the moon and turn it on and if it works, then argue about how it can't possibly work. It took NASA over 15 years just to test it in their lab. It took the chinese to actually try it out first and then NASA to say "Ok maybe it works". I realize that it costs a metric fuck ton of money to send weight into space.. but I also know that we spend so little on space exploration technology.

Why spend money chasing after such pipe dreams, when flying unicorns can already make it to the moon in less time?

More seriously, we (the US) don't test it in space because we no longer have a viable space program. We gave that up, because the politicians considered it too expensive with too little pork, remember?

News Comments > King of Dragon Pass Released
4. Re: King of Dragon Pass Released Jul 29, 2015, 18:03 Stormsinger

It was definitely difficult if the world and backstory were new to you. Not quite so much for old fans of Runequest. I'd still considering paying to play in a decent RQ campaign, should such a thing still exist. It was an amazing game system and setting.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
31. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 18:00 Stormsinger

Minuit wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 17:42:
TangoBaker wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 16:57:
We can hope. I'm as much a Battletech fan as the next guy but I've always wanted a PC version of the old FASA Crimson Skies. Or maybe even Renegade Legion.

You probably already know this but there was a PC version of Renegade Legion: Interceptor. It was a pretty faithful adaptation of the board game, and was only missing the important rules for how much damage you took when you accidentally knocked over the little cardboard box miniatures.

Be fair now...the amount of damage you took for knocking over the miniatures was totally dependent on who you were playing with.

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
38. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 23, 2015, 01:19 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:23:
It's free for a year and there aren't any significant teething problems for gamers. I can't think of any real reason to avoid an upgrade, maybe driver maturity but Nvidia and AMD have been pretty on the ball. Compatibility is fine too. They got most of the kinks worked out in the lengthy public preview periods and frankly it isn't much of a departure from prior releases of Windows anyway.
There may not be any big reason to avoid it, but neither have I seen a single reason to upgrade to it. I have seen no feature that it offers that means a thing to me. And I do have reason to avoid it, although some may think it's petty.

Frankly, Microsoft has truly and deeply pissed me off with their crap about trying to nag me into upgrading. It was bad enough that they installed nagware on my computer. I uninstalled it, and hid the update specifically so that it would not be reinstalled (exactly as they tell you to do to avoid installing a patch you do not want). So they overrode my specific instructions and reinstalled the same patch again. Not on one box, but on three separate computers.

I will -not- be installing Windows 10. I'll be moving to Linux first. This computer is -mine-, not Microsoft's...and as they have decided that their convenience matters more than my ownership, they have seen the last dollar they will ever see from me.

News Comments > Master of Orion Remake Plans
28. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 10, 2015, 12:25 Stormsinger

Darks wrote on Jun 10, 2015, 08:25:
Stormsinger wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 19:12:
Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:22:
Primalchrome wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:15:
Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 16:08:
I seriously doubt that. You seem to forget get that they bought out Gas Powered Games. And I happen to know they are working on this game too.
I didn't know that...but even that doesn't give me a lot of hope. Age of Empires Online anyone?

I was never impressed with S.Commander....though I've purchased TA and core contingency multiple times over the years just because of it's massive scale.

I really get annoyed when people come down on Chris for the Age of Empires Online. He had nothing to do with how that game was created. What happened was he took over the production of the game at the late stages after most of the game was built. Microsoft didn't like how that game was being run and fired the previous team then brought in Chris and his team to get it to the finish line.

Some of you guys really need to do your home work before jumping to conclusions.

I know many people didn't like Sup Com 2 because he went the Console route. but you have to understand the background on his company and what was going on. He was hurting for cash, to the point where he needed to try and make as much money from all markets or the ship was sunk. As we all know, that ship almost sank which is why he sold out to Wargaming.net

It doesn't really matter if he had anything to do with creating the game or not. If you agree to take over production, you get associated with it, whether for good or bad. It's really a bit disingenuous to get annoyed about how people will do that. That's simply reality.

And just to be clear, I've no opinion on him one way or the other, I've never played any of his games, nor have I played any of GPG's games. For that matter, the only Wargaming.net game I've played was WoT, and I rather liked that...if only for short periods of time.

You apparently have no clue how things work in the development world of gaming or what transpired with that deal with Microsoft. The ground work was already laid out they just brought the game to the finish line with what they had to work with. from what you are saying they should have redesigned the entire game. Sorry, but that wast going to happen because of the time constraints given to them. This is the same thing that handicapped Gearbox over Duke Nukem.

Learn the facts before you bash someone about something you clearly have no knowledge of.
You're absolutely right...the fifteen years I spent in game development left me with zero knowledge of how things work.

Can you even read, or is it just that comprehension is just too much effort to bother with? I SAID I didn't have an opinion on your buddy's reputation. I was calling out the absurdity of you taking offense that people tie that game to his reputation. THAT is the way the world works...it's as simple as that. If he hadn't wanted his name tied to that game, he should have refused. Once he agreed to take over (and -why- he agreed is completely irrelevant), it was inevitable that it would affect his reputation. Crying that it's unfair is juvenile and pointless...especially when it's coming from someone who isn't even directly affected.

24. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 19:12 Stormsinger

Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:22:
Primalchrome wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 18:15:
Darks wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 16:08:
I seriously doubt that. You seem to forget get that they bought out Gas Powered Games. And I happen to know they are working on this game too.
I didn't know that...but even that doesn't give me a lot of hope. Age of Empires Online anyone?

I was never impressed with S.Commander....though I've purchased TA and core contingency multiple times over the years just because of it's massive scale.

I really get annoyed when people come down on Chris for the Age of Empires Online. He had nothing to do with how that game was created. What happened was he took over the production of the game at the late stages after most of the game was built. Microsoft didn't like how that game was being run and fired the previous team then brought in Chris and his team to get it to the finish line.

Some of you guys really need to do your home work before jumping to conclusions.

I know many people didn't like Sup Com 2 because he went the Console route. but you have to understand the background on his company and what was going on. He was hurting for cash, to the point where he needed to try and make as much money from all markets or the ship was sunk. As we all know, that ship almost sank which is why he sold out to Wargaming.net

It doesn't really matter if he had anything to do with creating the game or not. If you agree to take over production, you get associated with it, whether for good or bad. It's really a bit disingenuous to get annoyed about how people will do that. That's simply reality.

And just to be clear, I've no opinion on him one way or the other, I've never played any of his games, nor have I played any of GPG's games. For that matter, the only Wargaming.net game I've played was WoT, and I rather liked that...if only for short periods of time.

13. Re: Master of Orion Remake Plans Jun 9, 2015, 13:02 Stormsinger

I guess I'm the only one who sees no value in remaking MOO, when you can still -get- the original game, and it still plays just fine. Higher resolution graphics will add no value. Making it online would add no value (for my taste). I can think of nothing they could do to make it enough better that I'm going to buy it yet again.

Put out the effort to do something creative guys, and stop trying to piggyback on the fame of older works.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 22:29 Stormsinger

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 18:54:
Vall Forran wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 17:49:
Actually (and it just launched so this might not matter in a few hours), the federation lady that looks like the platinum haired girl from the Matrix is in the lead, followed by the other fed guy who looks like Bryan Cranston.

Bryan Cranston? That's clearly a well aged Robert Patrick!

So is this the major content patch that means it's time to get in to Elite:Dangerous, or should people on the fence keep...sitting on the fence?

Personally, I'd wait until it's about $5 or so. I wish I had, then I wouldn't feel so taken. It's boring as hell, both spaceflight and combat, with the most interesting part being trying to outguess the autopilot to avoid overshooting your destination. No "strategic" layer on top of that is going to help.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
8. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 1, 2015, 18:21 Stormsinger

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 1, 2015, 17:24:
From a continuity standpoint, not sure how they will explain away my squad of utter badasses seemingly eradicating several alien species with relative ease in the first game and expansion.

Maybe the same way they can justify calling the fourth or fifth entry in the series XCom 2. It's fairly obvious that they're just not very concerned with consistency or logic.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 27, 2015, 20:14 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on May 27, 2015, 19:22:
What the hell does that title even mean?
It means she's throwing some chum to the Republican base of xenophobic bigots. Nothing more.

News Comments > Hatred in June
51. Re: Hatred in June May 2, 2015, 22:12 Stormsinger

NKD wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 02:17:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 02:07:

K...so who are they exploiting? They wanted their game to be on various digital platforms, and the SJW's came out of the woodwork crying over it. So far the only ones trying to exploit the game for anything are the ones who don't want it to be sold. Especially when they trot out the discredited "games cause violence..." bullshit.

Yup.. if the SJWs hadn't made a big fuss like Jack Thompson was coming back in style, not a lot of people would have heard of this game. The developer has only done very basic marketing. I, myself, only heard about it because of the controversy posted here about it some months back.

Like you said, the only people exploiting this game are the SJWs using it to say violent video games should be banned without actually saying it.

WTF kind of person considers the fact that someone desires social justice and is willing to work for it to be an insult?

The kind I feel absolutely no interest in interacting with, apparently. Have fun in your dystopia.

News Comments > Hatred in June
40. Re: Hatred in June Apr 29, 2015, 22:35 Stormsinger

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 19:50:
SimplyMonk wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 18:01:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 10:00:
Not all that much different from that leading video game.

You know... When I watched the first trailer of Hatred a couple of months ago, I cringed and felt sick to my stomach a few times.

Then I watched all the MKX Fatalities back-to-back on YouTube. Now Hatred doesn't bother me so much purely in terms of gore and execution.

Yay! Desensitized!

Yah, there has been over the top pixel killing for a long time now. If there is a line and you are adamant about it (not speaking to you Monk), then you are Jack Thompson, you just have a different level bar, but a bar none the less. As someone said which is spot on, you simply don't buy things you don't like.

There's a movie where a ladies cunt has teeth and goes around biting off dicks for Christ's sakes.
Oh please...the problem with Jack Thompson was never the fact that he had drawn a line, it was the batshit crazy stuff he pulled to try and get his line officially recognized with the force of law.

As far as Hatred goes, I just can't quite understand why anyone would expect a bunch of assholes to make anything but a shitty game. It doesn't bother me much, because I won't be buying it. But let's not try to paint this piece of shit as something noble or righteous...it's simple exploitation for free publicity by people with no self-respect, nothing more.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
50. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 20:24 Stormsinger

I'm completely amazed that there are still events going on in this world since noon today. Based on my circle of friends, I was sure everyone in the world was battening down to do nothing but play PoE for the next few days.

And I agree, been playing a couple of hours, and it's really, really good.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Vulkan's Wrath Released
2. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon - Vulkan's Wrath Released Mar 19, 2015, 10:38 Stormsinger

Wait...Warhammer 40,000 is turn-based? I thought that was the team-based shooter, primarily looking like a WH40k capture the flag.

I might have to look into this then.

News Comments > Universal Combat CE Free on Steam
19. Re: Universal Combat CE Free on Steam Feb 9, 2015, 14:54 Stormsinger

Task wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 10:32:
InBlack wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 09:43:
Oh come on guys, give credit where credit is due. Derek Smart released a game for free on Steam, he even took the time to upgrade some of the graphics. I say KUDOS.

I haven't actually played any of his games, so I can't really say anything about them anyways. The reviews on steam are pretty entertaining though.
I haven't actually played any of his games either, but it wasn't for lack of trying. It simply couldn't be done with the games I tried, they wouldn't run long enough.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Feb 4, 2015, 19:29 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:53:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2015, 13:17:
Petition ∑ Build "Elite: Dangerous" Offline Mode.

As originally promised.

Pssst Don't wake the fanboys claiming that was never really promised....

It'd be nice to get rid of that fucking DRM, but I've reached the point of "why bother". The game is just boring...and worse, it's boring for stupid reasons. The pseudo-autopilot can't calculate an arrival at the destination, so you have to manually tweak the throttle to try and avoid over or undershooting. And 90% of the time is spent just cruising around waiting to get somewhere. It's been uninstalled some weeks ago, and there's not much they could offer to convince me to reinstall it.

News Comments > Bot Colony Ending
29. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 31, 2015, 11:49 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 02:45:
harlock wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 22:23:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 22:04:
There's potential here. Imagine Skyrim with conversations being naturally spoken, interpreted, and answered by the AI instead of conversation trees.

imagine jacking in to skyrim itself, where your entire nervous system gets input from the game world, allowing your brain to interpret the signals as sensory reality, where all players are linked together in some kind of matrix... instead of just sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse

there is potential there too

I realize you're being facetious, but what I'm describing will happen within a decade, whereas what you're talking about is much further out.

Nah...they've been making that claim for two decades already, "It's just about ten years away." And yet, NLP is not much better than it was the first time I investigated the capabilities in the early 90s. It's rather like fusion power, or strong AI. They literally don't know what new knowledge they need to make it work, so estimates of how long it will take are all pulled straight out of someone's ass. It could happen in 10 years, it could be 50, it could be one.

Nobody with a brain builds a product requiring such an unknown breakthrough be made before the product can succeed. And this game is a perfect example of why.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2015, 21:03 Stormsinger

Honestly, how many people think that a company whose product can't keep track of how I want my feed sorted can code a decent false news detector?

I know of zero.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up Jan 5, 2015, 12:05 Stormsinger

Wildone wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 10:28:
Dont worry about them, play in Solo mode and they cant touch you.
But every hiccup by your ISP will still boot you from the game...

306 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo