Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 276 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2014, 23:58 Stormsinger

And once again, physicists insist on using a word with a well-defined meaning to refer to something completely different. First it was teleportation, now tractor beams.

Turning a tiny glass bead into a radiometer, while interested, is -not- a tractor beam. That's nothing but a simple highly focused heat ray.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2014, 23:55 Stormsinger

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 20:38:
Squirmer wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 20:30:
NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 19:34:
There is literally no good that can come from broadcasting this shit over the Internet.
You mean no good can come to the gamergate cause by broadcasting it. All the more reason to broadcast it.

Yeah, because we want to escalate the situation, encourage more death threats and women fleeing their homes just to make GamerGate look bad. You're a fucking genius.

I don't want the situation escalated, I want the fuckers who make death threats and such to spend a largish number of years in prison. Enough that they'd be too old and feeble to be a physical threat when they get out.

This is one of the very few places where I fully support a zero tolerance approach.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
31. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 15:29 Stormsinger

DrEvil wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 12:45:
Just as devs have to adapt to expectations, game players need to also change theirs.

The fact that DF is finishing a stable release and then shipping lua gameplay source code is enough for me.

Um, no. Some developers WANT gamers to change their expectations, and fund their unfinished games. But we do NOT need to do so. I won't be funding any more...I've been burned too often to justify the occasional success. At this point, I'm only buying finished games, after the final product can be examined.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
20. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 Stormsinger

InBlack wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 09:52:
Ok I read up on Indie Fund. Its definitely not crowdfunding, not like Kickstarter anyway.

This is the most relevant info. from the about page:
Repayment Once the game is released, you first pay back the investment and then share 25%of the revenue, until we double the initial investment, or until 2 years after the initial launch date, whichever comes first.

As I see it, Double Fine is financially beholden to Indie Fund. As for their fans, they probably bought into the Early Access program believing the game would be finished at some point to some kind of standard, which is proving to be perilously low. They have indeed shot themselves in the foot with this, however this would be true of any failed game, AAA or Indie, and shouldnt reflect on Early Access or crowdfunding programs in general.

If you sign up for Early Access, read the fine print!
If you kickstart a game, read the fine print!
If you pre-order a game, you deserve exactly what's coming to ya!

I'm not sure how you can say this shouldn't reflect on Early Access or crowdfunding programs. This is -exactly- the issue with them. You give them your money before they have a game. What the game ends up being is completely unknown. With traditional funding, you can see what the game you're buying is before you pay for it, at least through reviews.

It might be different if there was any evidence that crowdfunding or early access allowed the development of games that traditional funding wouldn't, but so far I've seen zero evidence of that. The games getting funding these ways are not noticeably different from those being funded through other means.

News Comments > Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent
52. Re: Star Citizen DFM Patch Imminent Sep 11, 2014, 23:52 Stormsinger

Quboid wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 20:20:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 19:24:
Why are people picking on CJ_Parker?, he's just saying his opinon.
The practices they're using have put me off too. I'm keeping an eye on it, obviously, but I won't be buying in until there's a game and I won't be buying if it's pay to win, which at this point I'm struggling to see how it won't be. They clearly have the financial incentive to make the game grindier than they would honestly feel is balanced and while I trust them to want to make a really good game, I don't trust them to not want to make lots of money when it's so, so easy.

I'm not even keeping an eye on it until things like "a new pause menu" stop making the top 10 in their patch notes. Talk about scraping for things to report...

News Comments > Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf
15. Re: Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf Sep 4, 2014, 21:51 Stormsinger

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 17:36:
I wrote all that I did, solely because I loved D1 and D2, but my heart fell out unassistedly with Diablo3. The signs are everywhere. You could even be a Blizzard mole, becuase there ARE thousands of them out there moderating forums world wide.

I wanted D3 to succeed, I really did. Heck, I even wanted the Auction House to mature into something that could be fair to all those that chose to either PAY or grind their way there,

THE FUCKING PROBLEM THOUGH, is that the TIME everyone invested NEVER EVER got to have the same items that you could buy outright. Time is money, to an extent (time is more valuable) , but how many people that put in over ten thousand hours into finding nothing as worthy as a post $60 item on the auction house, that is a design issue.

This game does NOT reward farming, that is bad point #1.
This game does not offer its forum unique avatars, because apparently , they are all the same ====> LABRATS
This game does not offer any haunting feelings, they are all smoothed over with WOW ART. why is the scariest features about Diablo 3 have to be endearing or almost apologetic to the viewer?
The changes you speak of, are TEMPORARY I mean, less than 1% of the time inbetween updates (I know, you guys at GGG must be choking on laughter at my post)

I'm just emotional like this, I am a responsible citizen, I distribute over 5 Billion dollars of PC hardware annually, I just fucking hate Diablo 3 in its current state. I haven't even logged into seasonals yet, just reading the demise about people getting to lvl 70 in hop jump skip. I don't care, I know I won't reach top 1000, though I could have almost if I really wanted to , as not many more than 1,500 remain playing this game.

My advice...get your meds checked. There are not thousands of Blizzard moles posting to ridicule your absurd conspiracy theory, it just really -is- that stupid. I assure you that Blizzard has not the slightest incentive to make D3 fail, no matter how much you dislike what they did with the game.

News Comments > Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf
9. Re: Diablo III Mid-Season Nerf Sep 4, 2014, 13:51 Stormsinger

AngelicPenguin wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 12:44:
Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 12:18:
Wouldn't they just have a logfile of "player X completed Matriarch's bones 247 times" etc? So then you readjust the XP rating, and have it apply retro-actively.

Apparently this math is too complicated for Blizzard's programmers? Better solution: Just basically whack the entirety of your first competitive season?

Huh?

Getting to level 70 is a super small part of the season, so that's a bit a stretch to say that it "whacks the entirety."

And why would you roll it back? That was a legitimate bounty before. Just because someone is OCD to run it that many times, more power to them.

If that's the case, then why remove it at all? They clearly felt it was an exploit and unbalancing or they wouldn't have removed it.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2014, 20:10 Stormsinger

Pigeon wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 09:55:
nin wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 09:26:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 09:22:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:06:
Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 10:55:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.
I quit nearly eight years ago, and I'm still waiting to experience thse benefits. So far the only noticeable change is the 60 pounds I gained and have not been able to lose.
That's because you've replaced your smoking habit with eating. Before when you were bored you probably smoked, now you probably eat. You need to replace it with something healthier, like drinking

While I don't smoke, I was under the impression that smoking itself increased the metabolism. And thus, when you quit, it slows. So what you ate before with no weight gain could potentially now cause weight gain.

You forced me to look it up: Is weight gain inevitable after you quit smoking? What causes it?

So it seems like smoking increases metabolism slightly and it's an appetite suppressant; thus when you stop you burn less calories and are hungry more often. The More You Know Star_full

Yep...and that's not even addressing the difficulties involved in quitting. That period lasted quite some time (8 tries over about 16 months), and the only way I succeeded was to pull out -all- the stops. I used patches, gum, herbal supplements, Wellbutrin, inhalers, and then (not knowing all the facts) decided that I'd rather put on a few pounds if it helped, so I was sucking on candies, both sugared and sugar-free, any time I got an urge to smoke.

That accounts for 40-50 pounds of the weight, and if I'd known then how hard it would be to get rid of, I'm not sure I'd have made the same choices. Ah well...live and learn.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 11:20 Stormsinger

I'm interested in this anti-Alzheimer's cocktail of THC and caffeine, I think I could get behind this treatment.

And I'm starting to see more and more signs of lapses in memory that are scaring me (there's a history of Alzheimer's in my family). Maybe it's just paranoia since a malfunctioning brain is my worst nightmare, but still...

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2014, 19:06 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 10:55:
Quitting smoking was one of the best decisions I made in my life awhile ago. It opened up so many other things, I started mountain climbing, biking and being able to actually taste food again was wonderful.
I quit nearly eight years ago, and I'm still waiting to experience thse benefits. So far the only noticeable change is the 60 pounds I gained and have not been able to lose.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 12:13 Stormsinger

This is not a bacon-powered motorcycle...it runs on grease.

But fear not! A true bacon-powered motorcycle has existed for almost two centuries now, it's called a bicycle.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
27. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 18:03 Stormsinger

Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:01:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:54:
Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:41:
Much as I love Elite Dangerous, just wait until Star Citizen has matured on to a Beta stage and beyond. It will crap on it. That's why I back both games. For Elite Dangerous, I bought Premium Beta. For Star Citizen, I bought the game along with the Origin 325a and then I bought a Cutlass and a Hornet.
You mean you HOPE it'll crap on it, hence the investment.

Assume all the features promised and all the mechanics promised will be in the game - it will be a much more immersive game. Investment-wise, I'm not bothered. In Gibraltar, we're swimming in it!

I currently see myself playing Elite Dangerous on the persistent Universe up to the day Star Citizen hits a stable mark on its own persistent Universe.

More immersive maybe...but still pay to win. I can't imagine anything they could do to give me any interest in buying this abomination. I don't play pay-to-win, period.

News Comments > The Talos Principle Video
3. Re: The Talos Principle Video Aug 2, 2014, 16:10 Stormsinger

I read this as "The Taltos Principle", and got excited, thinking someone had translated Steven Brust's universe into a game.

So much sad now...

26. Re: GRRM Jul 31, 2014, 20:40 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:20:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 15:06:
Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good.

Uniformly good? I wouldn't go that far haha.

I think the show has actually exceeded the books in many aspects but I worry about where they'll take it. Its clear he cannot finish the series as fast as they can film it (which is so messed up considering the jump he had on it) so now the concern is what they decide to do with the vague outline he gave them for the series ending.

Edit: spelling
You're correct, it is aboslutely clear he can't finish the series as fast as they can film it. And the blame for that belongs 100% on the heads of the studio. Martin didn't all of a sudden get slow when the movie rights were sold. He's -always- been slow as molasses. If the studio couldn't figure that out, they deserve to flounder and fail, which I have little doubt they'll do, once they pass him up.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
32. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 31, 2014, 20:37 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 16:09:
Actually you ARE funding Dominoes when you buy a pizza. You are supplying them revenue they need to keep operating aren't you?

True enough. But funding, in that sense, is not investing in -any- sense.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 15:07 Stormsinger

RoboNerd wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:21:
It's weird I just re-watched Thunderdome twice about two weeks ago, then this trailer appears. Just don't know about Mad Max without Mel. Policeman

I'm pretty "meh" about this one. Dunno if I've outgrown the genre or what, but I didn't find the trailer very interesting.

10. Re: GRRM Jul 28, 2014, 15:06 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 12:43:
Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 11:38:
I can sort of understand him not wanting to be there. After all, it's gotta be rough watching other people do in five years what you weren't able to do in 15.

Or more likely all the sex and boobs, and the mother of dragons... are distracting him ;p
Don't you mean "what took him 15"? They haven't gone into territory he hasn't already written...have they (I'm nowhere near current on the show)?

Admittedly, the man's a slow writer, but I suspect that may have something to do with why his books are uniformly good. And as good as the show is, it couldn't (or at least is extremely unlikely to) have turned out so good if he hadn't written the story for them. Few screenwriters can create a story from scratch that measures up to those books.

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
15. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 13:21 Stormsinger

Dagnamit wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 10:06:
PHJF wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 09:28:
Are we crazy? Are we doing it wrong? Should every person in the company be working on the same thing? Should HBO make one TV show at a time? Should Warner Brothers make one movie at a time?

I'm just gonna stop there at the guy comparing his podunk studio to the most highly lauded TV network and a film studio that's been around for a century.

I don't think he's a making a direct comparison, just stating that every company has a lot of balls in the air at the same time and many revenue streams from different projects. He clearly feels that having a company with a lot on its plate is a recipe for success. Hell, that's how I would do it. It's a great way to keep people engaged.

Not just to keep them engaged, but to keep them employed. It's a better alternative than laying off 75% of the staff after each game is released.

News Comments > Op Ed
115. Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2014, 13:10 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 22:29:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 22:16:
Well then, by all means abandon the field. I'm sure you'll be much more effective in helping by doing nothing. Those trolls will realize on their own just how destructive they are...heaven forbid anyone disagree with you, or quote you.

I wasn't seeking your permission. You seem like the kind of person we were referring to anyway.
You really are determined to be both offended and offensive, aren't you?

News Comments > Op Ed
113. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2014, 22:16 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 19:16:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 18:44:
Since when is "there's no point in even having the discussion" a point in the middle? That's as far out to the extreme as you can get...it's the same as saying, there is no issue.

You can't say that because it makes it clear you didn't actually -read- this specific article. Perhaps you scanned the words, but you obviously didn't make any attempt to understand what was being said.

That quote isn't mine, it's NKDs. I was pretty clear in my complaints that any debate feels like moderate discourse is shut out, case in point this article had comments locked when I tried post there. That's how I feel about you quoting my responses by the way.

Well then, by all means abandon the field. I'm sure you'll be much more effective in helping by doing nothing. Those trolls will realize on their own just how destructive they are...heaven forbid anyone disagree with you, or quote you.

276 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo