Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 252 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 24, 2014, 22:37 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 19:58:
Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off.

When I read the title, I thought they were getting rid of the Steve Ballmer bobbleheads. Guess they're still selling those tho.

Me, I thought they killed off Bob a long time ago...guess I was wrong.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagex Free Weekend
1. Re: Jagex Free Weekend Jul 24, 2014, 22:34 Stormsinger

I really have a hard time figuring out the recommendations on Steam. This battle builder title has some 3700+ reviews, but they don't show the totals. It's rather like they're trying to hide something. But they do show the 49% recommendation for Carnage Racing, so the bar must be disturbingly low.  

News Comments > Op Ed
82. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2014, 12:01 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 07:15:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 05:30:
You didn't even read the article, did you. How can you say she's OVERstating the case? She's describing ACTUAL events that happened to her and others. How is that OVERstating? Look, I get it. You want nuance, subtlety, reasoned debate. Well, let me welcome you to the real world. That's not what works. What works is in-your-face smashing of biases and forcing change on people.

Of course no one has ever overstated an issue or used extreme examples to make a point. Forget reasoned debate, how about any at all? The moment someone brings up something here they are immediately pounced on as if they are 'against women' and there is only one true view. The article won't even open for comments. Yeah its hard for me to take this more serious, I've been to countries where violence against women is a very immediate and serious problem in a way that not only interferes with day to day life but actually made you feel morally obligated to help. Guilt trip Tumblresque posts preaching to the choir on a Macbook while sitting at Starbucks? Not so much.

The artricle -was- originally open for comments...and by comparison with those comments, this thread (which has plenty of negative commentary, IMO) is heavenly. THAT is why they deleted and turned off commenting. Because the assholes showed up immediately and started in.

News Comments > Op Ed
68. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 23:43 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 22:34:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 22:08:

OTOH, there's a -lot- of comments in this thread that go way past bordering on supporting the claims in the article. How many here were saying "suck it up, it happens to everyone"? How many boiled down to "it's not that big a deal"?

No, I don't feel that is a fair summary of what went on here. I don't see anyone actually supporting the negative actions and I don't see anything inherently wrong in people disputing some of the points or offsetting the experiences with their own. What I see a lot of is people acting indifferent due to being harangued about it in very one sided blog style articles (this is not the first, there have been many) that literally close any open ended discussion. Sometimes its not what you say, its how you say it.

There is a lot of scary shit going on in the world and I don't mind telling you that this is barely even on my radar. We will never erase every asshole in the universe and all articles like this do is piss off the more reasonable ones.

First, there is no such thing as a reasonable asshole. Second, maybe you can only deal with one thought or issue at a time, but some of us have a bit more capability than that. Other unspecified scary things don't stop me from acknowledging that rape and death threats are way more serious than "its no picnic for men either".

And statements like yours, are precisely what many of these "one-sided blog articles" are talking about. You blow off the issue with some bullshit false equivalence, and then get offended when called on it. If you get tired of them, too fucking bad. Grow a thicker skin.

News Comments > Op Ed
66. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 22:08 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 21:49:
I don't think many women would have a problem with getting men to condemn their stalkers, their abusers, and their harassers. When they start generalizing, accusing all men of being victimizers, the moral high-ground becomes very shaky. This article borders on that...

Great points Eirik, thanks for a good read. That is how I feel about womens issues now, they have gone too far the other way and almost alienate people with it now. I've worked in several female dominated fields and its no picnic for men either. Maybe I should write a post on Tumblr about not feeling safe.

OTOH, there's a -lot- of comments in this thread that go way past bordering on supporting the claims in the article. How many here were saying "suck it up, it happens to everyone"? How many boiled down to "it's not that big a deal"?

Over half, at a rough count. That's pretty damned telling, in my view.

News Comments > Op Ed
65. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 22:00 Stormsinger

SlimRam wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:56:
Just a quick life lesson from yours truly.

Men have always dominated this planet.

Men will ALWAYS dominate this planet, unless a woman creates an army strong enough to defeat man altogether (and unless there's some kind of sex wars that started and I haven't heard about it then that's probably never going to happen).

Men mostly have designed and created society and the laws that govern it.

If women want anything to change they simply have to remove all men from positions of power. And the only way that'll ever happen is if there is war against men, worldwide, and they win. The problem with this is men tend to be very good at war & in times of crisis, they band together.

So there you have it, the problem is solved, either sex war against the entire world or nothing changes. Simple really
Or maybe, some day enough men will grow the fuck up and stop putting up with the rest of the immature assholes, and things will actually get a bit better.

Frankly, I'm all for prosecuting every rape threat or death threat. Send a few hundred assholes to jail, with full publicity, and the number of people stupid enough to keep doing so -will- decline. If not, more profit for the private prison industry. Note, this is quite likely the only time I'll every make that statement...it burns, even now.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 23, 2014, 16:38 Stormsinger

Tim1_2 wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 07:52:
Stormsinger wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 21:57:
It just blows my mind that what used to be an expense for a developer (beta testing to ensure a working product) is now a major revenue stream. Paying $75, not to mention $150, to do their work for them is a mindset I simply cannot fathom.

Most people that buy into the early access thing (alphas and betas) don't really participate actively in testing. They just play the game.

Hopefully developers don't lose their incentive to actually "finish" games after making a pile of money on early access.... DayZ's been a top-seller on Steam since December and is still in the alpha phase. They could literally just stop development on it now and walk away having made a pile of money. Here's hoping that doesn't happen, and doesn't become a trend.

Agreed, I hope it doesn't become more common...however, history suggests that it will, and that exploitable conditions -will- be exploited.

But even more than that, paying 3-5 times the retail price for an unfinished game is just...odd, to say the least. My own experience with early releases have left me -very- skeptical of them...I've only had one that I found playable and fun. Even there, I suspect I've settled for less fun than I'd have had by waiting for a finished and polished game.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 22, 2014, 21:57 Stormsinger

It just blows my mind that what used to be an expense for a developer (beta testing to ensure a working product) is now a major revenue stream. Paying $75, not to mention $150, to do their work for them is a mindset I simply cannot fathom.  

News Comments > Habitat Early Access
4. Re: Habitat Early Access Jul 8, 2014, 20:46 Stormsinger

This is an early access offer I'll pass. I'm hopeful that the final version will be half as interesting as the concept itself, and seeing it partially done would only ruin that.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 18, 2014, 20:56 Stormsinger

Oh, -that- Smart. Pffft!

I thought this might have been something interesting.

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. Jun 10, 2014, 00:24 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 22:44:
Cutter wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 18:51:
Yeah, 1 hit is the very definition of lucky. Guys like Meir, Molyneux, Carmack, CliffyB, Spector, et al. have been knocking out pretty major hits for over 20 years.

Highly debatable. No one said hes an industry authority, he gets to have an opinion like anyone else. If an armchair internet guy like you gets to have one then I think the guy who made millions making a Java voxel game gets to have his opinion too.

No shit...I'd say the one-hit-wonder has infinitely more cred than a no-hit-wonder.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
52. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 20:12 Stormsinger

Quboid wrote on May 7, 2014, 10:23:
Who on Earth will preorder or otherwise crowd-fund Towns 2? Oh who am I kidding, loads of people will.

The same people that still click on spam...there's a lot of truly stupid people out there, as P.T. Barnum observed.

News Comments > Free Blizzard Oldies
17. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 4, 2014, 11:04 Stormsinger

nin wrote on May 4, 2014, 00:46:
What they didn't mention was that if your phone was lost or replaced, you'd have to jump through hoops to get it turned off.

Exactly why I stick with a physical authenticator.

Those have the same issues, if hopefully less often. The best you can say for them is that they don't suffer from planned obsolescence, like phones do.

15. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 3, 2014, 22:48 Stormsinger

MattyC wrote on May 3, 2014, 22:17:
None of that makes any sense. If you don't care about the previous Battle.net account, why not just create a new one?

An authenticator was never required. If you didn't care about the security of your account why did you even add one?

I don't care about any of the games on that account, but in order to create a new one, I'd have to create a throwaway email, because I can't use my real one...it's already been used. Again, the inconvenience is totally on my end.

I put the authenticator on the account because they offered some minor benefit in whatever game I was playing at the time, a pet in WOW, or some such...and because it saved -them- money...not because it makes sense for me; none of my characters had anything valuable, and I don't use weak passwords or share my accounts. I've spent too long in the game industry to be careless with security on any account I care about.

What they didn't mention was that if your phone was lost or replaced, you'd have to jump through hoops to get it turned off.

13. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 3, 2014, 22:02 Stormsinger

MattyC wrote on May 3, 2014, 01:58:
Stormsinger wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:48:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:24:
Stormsinger wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:04:
Well, since I can no longer access my battle.net account unless I send them a copy of my driver's license, I won't be dealing with Blizzard again.

I guess I should have said "screw 'em", I don't care how much they spend on customer support for stolen accounts.

Really? That's your big problem in dealing with Blizzard is them taking account security something on the serious side? Geeze, imagine if it was something actually important.

What, you think faxing them a copy of a driver's license means shit? Anyone over the age of 13 can grab a fake image of one of those, under whatever name and picture they like. That's not security, that's just theater...all at the cost of the customer.

So in your world it is both a trivial task that a 13 year old with no income can handle and a grueling endeavor that no adult can afford?

Nowhere did I say it was grueling. I'm just pissed that I'm being inconvenienced for -their- benefit, not my own. I haven't logged into battle.net in years...the phone with the authenticator is long gone, and in order to turn off the authenticator (installed at -their- request, in order to reduce -their- customer service costs) on an account with nothing I care about, I have to send them a document they can't even identify real from fake.

THAT is what pisses me off.

8. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 3, 2014, 00:48 Stormsinger

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:24:
Stormsinger wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:04:
Well, since I can no longer access my battle.net account unless I send them a copy of my driver's license, I won't be dealing with Blizzard again.

I guess I should have said "screw 'em", I don't care how much they spend on customer support for stolen accounts.

Really? That's your big problem in dealing with Blizzard is them taking account security something on the serious side? Geeze, imagine if it was something actually important.

What, you think faxing them a copy of a driver's license means shit? Anyone over the age of 13 can grab a fake image of one of those, under whatever name and picture they like. That's not security, that's just theater...all at the cost of the customer.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
9. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 2, 2014, 20:07 Stormsinger

I'm more curious about just how many different studios and outsourced groups are involved here? In my experience, anything over 3-4 is a trainwreck waiting to happen.  

2. Re: Free Blizzard Oldies May 2, 2014, 20:04 Stormsinger

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 1, 2014, 22:10 Stormsinger

Redmask wrote on May 1, 2014, 07:10:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 20:20:
Too bad the USPS is not funded by tax dollars. Kind of makes your comment irrelevant.

They receive about a hundred million a year in federal funding, not to mention they have a literal monopoly as a business which is government mandated which in the end costs us all money and services that could be improved. He was wrong but he's not too far off the mark, the USPS sucks and really needs to die off or reinvent itself.
Oh please. Try sending a letter via a private service (and in spite of your claims, there are plenty of them), you'll find it costs a wee bit more than $.50. Then tell me again how awful and obsolete the post office is.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 30, 2014, 20:20 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 10:43:
I read the Outbox thing last night, very interesting article. I've had very little but spam in my mailbox for the past five years so I would be all for something like that, shame that our tax dollars are being used to fund the modern equivalent of the milkman.
Too bad the USPS is not funded by tax dollars. Kind of makes your comment irrelevant.

252 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo