Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Vivendi Sells Activision Stake
17. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 17, 2016, 01:50 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 23:04:
A hedge isn't a bet, it's a mitigation of risk. It isn't "we think this will happen" but "we're screwed if this happens, so we'll cover our asses."

I have renters' insurance. I do not think anything bad will happen, but I'm mitigating my risk. This is all a hedge is. They're exceptionally common, and institutions do them to be responsible, not to place a bet.

I fail to see any significant difference. You're gambling a small amount of money (the insurance premiums) against the larger amount you'll win (the expenses that you won't have to pay yourself) if events break that way. That -is- a gamble. All insurance is a gamble.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 22:48 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 17:25:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 13:05:
You have to wonder who made how much money on this deal. Because it sure looks like Vivendi was betting that Activision/Blizzard stock was going to crumble.

Life is good if you're a bankster.

Uh... no it doesn't?

They made no such bet, and they've been trying to get out of Activision for a while. Trying to get out of all entertainment.

A hedge is generally something along the lines of insurance against a loss. If you're hedging stock, you expect the price to drop...or if you prefer different terminology, you're afraid that it will.

I'd call it a bet. You can use whatever term you like. But if they hadn't been expecting losses, they'd have had no reason to hedge the stock.

1. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 13:05 Stormsinger

You have to wonder who made how much money on this deal. Because it sure looks like Vivendi was betting that Activision/Blizzard stock was going to crumble.

Life is good if you're a bankster.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 11:46 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 10:46:
I didn't read the article but I'm curious what they think of cell phone signals then then.
It's a good question. I don't think I've seen any interviews with one of these people where it was brought up. I wouldn't be surprised if they're also "a cause" of problems.

I really, really don't understand why some people have such a problem admitting "We don't know why this happens."

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 10:44 Stormsinger

Wifi allergists...the next form of anti-vaxxers. It doesn't matter that it can be demonstrated that they cannot tell whether a router is actually on or not. They're absolutely sure it's the wifi signal causing their problems.

I understand that losing a child is a horrible, horrible thing. But it doesn't justify delusional beliefs that have been absolutely disproven.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2015, 10:11 Stormsinger

Based on their website, Virtual Desktop allows you to play videos from YouTube, and look at photos. Yeah, even for free, that's a bit underwhelming.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
13. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 20:59 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 18:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 14:24:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:27:
So now we're preemptively outraged that someone else may or may not be outraged about a word that may or may not be derogatory?

Must be a slow trolling day.

-Jn-

It appears so. Ever notice that the folks who get outraged over "political correctness" or "SJWs" are those who seem to be heavily invested in being insulting? And I don't believe I've ever seen anyone get overwrought about PC who wasn't a pretty hard rightwing type. Maybe it's reality's liberal bias kicking them in the face again that causes the anguish.

No, it's the stupidity of people who don't understand that you don't get to go through life without ever being offended. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me? Remember that one? No, of course you don't. Well, life is tough, get a fucking helmet. Learn to suck it up. Fuck the whiny pricks who take every opportunity possible to turn this into some grey Orwellian world of thoughtcrime and doublespeak. Where we can't have Christmas, or Halloween, or even fucking Yoga now because some asshole somewhere is offended it's some kind of cultural appropriation.

George Carlin on "Soft" Language

They say they’re going to pre-board those passengers in need of special assistance …cripples! Simple honest direct language. There’s no shame attached to the word cripple I can find in any dictionary. In fact it’s a word used in Bible translations. “Jesus healed the cripples.” Doesn’t take seven words to describe that condition. But we don’t have cripples in this country anymore. We have the physically challenged. Is that a grotesque enough evasion for you? How about differently-abled? I’ve heard them called that. Differently-abled! You can’t even call these people handicapped anymore. They say: “We’re not handicapped, we’re handy capable!” These poor people have been bullshitted by the system into believing that if you change the name of the condition somehow you’ll change the condition. Well, hey cousin … doesn’t happen!

Yeah, and George Carlin was sucg a right-wing extemist wasn't he?
Rolleyes

It has nothing to do with political alignment and everything to do with common sense and people sick and tired over a handful of assholes getting their panties in a bunch over a handful of words. Words, once again, that had no stigma attached to them until the SJWs made it that way. So go fuck yourself.

I rest my case.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 7, 2015, 14:27 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:21:
Utterly useless, overpriced crap.

It's not all that often I agree with you, but in this case, I find myself 100% in your camp.

$1500? That's gotta be a remarkably niche market. Probably the same crowd that buys those $100 hamburgers we heard about a few years back.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
9. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 14:24 Stormsinger

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:27:
So now we're preemptively outraged that someone else may or may not be outraged about a word that may or may not be derogatory?

Must be a slow trolling day.

-Jn-

It appears so. Ever notice that the folks who get outraged over "political correctness" or "SJWs" are those who seem to be heavily invested in being insulting? And I don't believe I've ever seen anyone get overwrought about PC who wasn't a pretty hard rightwing type. Maybe it's reality's liberal bias kicking them in the face again that causes the anguish.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 16:31 Stormsinger

It's especially nasty since we don't have the legal right to modify the software any more. Not that it was acceptable when we could, but at least the technically inclined could "fix" the issue.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 22, 2015, 16:06 Stormsinger

LoL is "a real sport" just like sitting on a couch watching TV is "real exercise".  

News Comments > System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible
37. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 19:03 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to get my head around the plan of re-release a game, then remake that same game. Seems an awful lot like milking a cash cow...  

News Comments > Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances
3. Re: Steam Survey Shows Win10 Advances Nov 5, 2015, 13:10 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 12:47:
1%. Holy shit!

Pretty close to my thoughts. And I'm glad Blue put quotes around "soars". Because I don't think an almost 3.5% change is soaring by most standards. Especially when that method of measurement doubles the actual number of people switching. A better statement is that less than 1.75% of Windows users changed to Win 10 from some older version last month.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 5, 2015, 13:03 Stormsinger

Flatline wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 12:04:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 09:59:
Uninstalling the offending system packages with DISM (for making an install image) or Install_WIM_Tweak (For an OS already installed) is the only way to be sure.

Completely eradicate Telemetry Defender One-drive Cortana and other things

Ripley Effect - AKA "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

I can totally see a scenario where MS frags your install for not having those modules active.

Actually I can totally see MS fragging your install if you don't receive a periodic update from the telemetry servers. We'll see if they decide to do that.
I doubt that even Microsoft is willing to face -that- particular class action suit.

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 21:26 Stormsinger

Razumen wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 20:44:
Julio wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 20:42:
Cutter wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 17:54:
suffice it to say he's the worst thing that ever happened to Canada.

Just wait for Justin Trudeau to get rolling if you want to see someone worse.

What makes you say that?

Ideology, most likely. The claim has all the hallmarks.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Oct 22, 2015, 13:18 Stormsinger

Desalus wrote on Oct 22, 2015, 10:23:
@George Lucas: "Video games can't have plots"…
Sounds like George Lucas has never played a modern video game in his life. Comparing a video game to a football game is like comparing apples and oranges. It's also funny considering I can think of plenty of games that had better plots and character arcs than the last three terrible Star Wars movies he wrote, directed, and produced.

@New Canadian PM says society must stand up to Gamergate…
He also implicates many other forms of media for promoting misogyny, not just video games. It's not like what he's saying is untrue...
Yeah, Lucas' making a statement about plots is like a blind man declaring that blue is better than red. And given his history, that claim is quite likely to change if the opposing view becomes popular (see his claims re Joseph Campbell).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 15:20 Stormsinger

The article on schizophrenia is nothing short of excellent. As my wife suffers from this disease, I have more than a little interest in such. And while this treatment strategy evolved too late for her, it's a great goodness to think that others may not have to endure what she has.

Thanks for the link, Blue.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 7, 2015, 20:47 Stormsinger

Universities will "approve" any activity from which they can profit without obvious violations of the law. If it were not illegal, you would see University-approved prostitution as a sport in short order.

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
26. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 10:45 Stormsinger

I especially like the snarky little "Based on the generous standards set by you..."

It has all the maturity and professional tone of a three year old winding up for a major tantrum. I'd kick in $100 for legal costs for the Escapist, just for the show.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 3, 2015, 10:29 Stormsinger

Showtime thinks they're worth as much as Netflix or Hulu? Wow...talk about an ego. Their piddly selection -might- be worth 5 or 6 dollars, not twice that.  

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo