Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Peter Gaughran

Real Name Peter Gaughran   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname pnag
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 9, 2007, 16:46
Total Comments 60 (Suspect)
User ID 34840

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Black Mesa Source This Month
76. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:42 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:35:
Completely remaking every asset, level, sound, model, texture, etc. of the game is "small scale"? With no team and undocumented tools. What have you done? Besides living vicariously through the Black Mesa thread on the Steam forums.

Ah, Max my friend, again, you talk garbage. Until today, I've not posted on the Black Mesa thread in many, many months. Not exactly living vicariously, now is it?

What have I done? Mod wise? Nothing. Well, not quite true. I made a couple of Doom levels back in the 90s (they stank, man, were they bad!) and using screen shots before it was released, ported some of the Dark Forces weapons into Doom. Pretty bad too.

Other than that? I've been a software engineer, programmer, and for the past 6 years, a Sys Admin. So? I don't go around criticising other software engineers, programmers or sys admins needlessly and in the most arrogant, trolling kind of way.

Criticise the BM:S team all you want (and you will), but the average poster/reader here will see you for what you are - someone who values their opinion very highly, and everyone else be damned.

You come off like a spoilt, teenage troll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:27 pnag

ASeven wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:25:
Now you're just plain trolling.

Exactly. That's all he's got.

72. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:25 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:21:
This is what happens when dealing with illiterate apologists. I'm sure their favorite movie is Prometheus and they voted for Obama, too.

Oh, Max, your arrogance knows no bounds. I see you've learnt *nothing* at all.

I'm Irish, so couldn't have voted in the US, but probably would have voted for Obama. Yup, liked Prometheus too. Favourite movie? No, it was far too flawed for that - wouldn't even make my top 100.

But guess what?!? You never answered my question.

What large scale mod have you produced?

Again, I know you produced some nice small scale AvP mods - but what of the scale of Black Mesa?

70. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:10 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:05:
...The fact is they couldn't keep any of their promises. I hold people to their word, and when someone can't live up to it multiple times that doesn't bode well. If the thing is great, fine, none of it matters. But taking the tired old white-knighting stance of "Oh, it's free and they don't owe you anything" is apologizing for their inabilities. I've never seen this end well. Maybe Black Mesa will be the first, and that would be a great thing.

Max! How are you? You used to post on the Black Mesa thread on the Steam forums.

Seems your attitude didn't go over too well here? I know you've made AvP mods, but something of the Black Mesa size/standard?

News Comments > Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion
39. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 09:34 pnag

Not to be overly pedantic, but it was Rogue Trooper, I think you'll find. Still balls that they're doing this  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 7, 2012, 04:50 pnag

Yup, me too! I actually thought, "Wait, they found another Antikythera computer?!?"

The joys of geekdom.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 15:51 pnag

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:32:
WMC is terrible... The problem is that DVDs and Blu-rays are horrible to use - it's honestly a lot more practical for me to just download everything. What they need is a Steam-like client for media. I'm kinda surprised that Valve hasn't already moved into media distribution, as it would be awesome to have sales on TV series and movies.

Except for someone like me, blu-ray (although still compressed) doesn't look like the shit you can download. The level of compression is awful for most of the digital distribution I've tried, but then I'd have a 35mm projector if my wife would let me.

As for a Steam like client? There's a Netflix plugin?

You also never actually said why it's horrible to use?

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 15:45 pnag

Agent.X7 wrote on May 4, 2012, 12:50:
You're only surprised because you are one of the minority that like Media Center. It's intrusive and it starts itself at the most annoying times. I'll take any media software over that.

Media Center? Are you sure you're not thinking of Media Player? There is a difference. I love VLC on desktop machines or laptops, but on my 60" plasma, in the sitting room, for all the things I mentioned, Media Center is the best. (10ft menu, live tv etc.)

If Media Center (and not Media Player) is auto starting, you've messed up somewhere.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2012, 11:37 pnag

I use Media Center (not Media player, there is a difference) for watching all my media (blu-ray, Avi's, Mkv's, live satellite tv etc)

Tried all the alternatives (MythTV, XBMC etc) and in terms of overall functionality? Nothing came close.

I think it's a mistake to remove it, as I doubt the codec licensing savings will be passed on to the end user.

Surprised at blue to hear him say he'd pay to *not* have it?!?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 10:12 pnag

Not a 'Titanorak', Blue?

A lot of people are, and not because of James Cameron's 'epic'. I've been reading about it for over 30 years - it's a hell of a story, not just about a ship that sinks. My 2 cents anyway

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2012, 06:16 pnag

Not even the Irish celebrate it? Are you serious?

Speaking as an Irishman, in Ireland, the morning after St. Paddy's Day (*not* Patty!) - and who (like everyone else in this nation) has Monday off as a bank holiday because of it, and who went to his local parade yesterday and saw the Dublin one on tv, I can tell you - you're talking total rubbish. Sorry, garbage to Americans.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 10:51 pnag

Much like half that comment... And this one!  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Bach on Bad Company 2
13. Re: Quoteworthy - Bach on Bad Company 2 Sep 30, 2011, 10:51 pnag

[VG]Reagle wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 20:43:
You should be ashamed of that steaming pile of crap

Reaaaaaaal constructive, that. But then, a Bluesnews comment always has to be filled with ridiculous, over the top cynicism to show how cool you all are.

Most of you guys couldn't write something balanced if your lives depended on it.

News Comments > Dead Island Film Optioned
5. Re: Dead Island Film Optioned Sep 28, 2011, 05:09 pnag

bigspender wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 01:48:

yes you need characters that have emotions and different agenda's that you can understand and even relate to, but people watch a zombie show for the zombie factor and that should always come first

Yeah, cause the fact that they're surrounded by zombies in a zombie filled world just isn't enough. In fact, why not just have a story about zombies, shambling around, from their point of view??? Oh, wait, "Land of the Dead" tried to do that and it was SHIT.

You need the drama to connect with the characters. And life does go on, as do domestics.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 18:06 pnag

So very sorry to hear that - my deepest sympathy to you and your family at this sad time.  

News Comments > NVIDIA WHQL Drivers
12. Re: NVIDIA WHQL Drivers Mar 26, 2010, 07:30 pnag

well fuck fuckity FUCK silly me for buying into MS's Bullshit. Fuck em. A curse on Bill Gates's Soul.

Sounds more like you could have a potential RAM issue. Download memtestX86 and try that, see if there's a hardware issue. Wonder if it turns out to be the case will you take back what you said?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 8, 2010, 05:38 pnag

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been thinking!

'Driving' a car will feel pretty lame without a controller of *some* kind, I'm thinkin'!

News Comments > 3D Blu-ray Next Year
27. Re: 3D Blu-ray Next Year Dec 17, 2009, 11:19 pnag

Your google-fu is weak. I'm already past 30.

Oh, no! (Now, that's sarcasm, by the way...) But is my inference correct? You're not actually old at all, are you? Sheesh, and you talk about me missing something.

I'm bothering to post back here as I went to see Avatar last night; IMHO a simple story/plot visually stunningly well told. Would it have been the same experience without having a small chunk of plastic on my face for 2 hours 40 minutes? No.

As it was, the "ooohs" and "aaahs" from the crowd tell me a different story from what I've seen posted here.

People do like 3D.

Avatar's not the greatest flick by any means, but I'd make a point cinematically speaking that it's the most stunning looking film to date.

Would the effect be lessened without the polarised lenses? Absolutely. As it was, most everyone I asked afterwards felt like they'd flown on the wings of an alien creature, or visited a different planet. Would it work for every movie?

No.

Does that mean it's useless, inconvenient technology?
A huge mistake
?

Get a life, folks.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 11:21.

News Comments > 3D Blu-ray Next Year
24. Re: 3D Blu-ray Next Year Dec 11, 2009, 07:01 pnag

Hi. You're new here huh? Oh yes, you are I see. Only two years. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm old and cranky. Not quite as old and cranky as some other posters like Ant, or the man who broke the forums. But still old.

Aaah, I see! This is actually a pissing contest! Because you've been here longer, you're cooler than I am. How foolish of me. I bow to your longevity, cause that means... well, nothing, doesn't it? I've been reading the site pretty much since its inception - does that make me better than you?

No we understand exactly what type it is. It's not polarized glasses, they're polarized shutter lenses. They've been around for years. The stuff that's been used in the theatres come in two flavors. Red/Green and Polarized.

Fair enough...

So, you take it, plug it in. And you're still wearing something on your face. Now for those of us in humanity who wear glasses(yay?) and don't wear contacts(yay) for various reasons. This stuff is still terrible.

Er, what? As someone who wore glasses for years, and couldn't wear contact lenses, I had to put up with, gee, let me think, telescopes, microscopes and binoculars that were all 'incompatible' with me being a glasses wearer. But you know what? I got on with it - I didn't moan about them being shit technology simply because it was a 'slight' inconvenience to use. (I've had LASIK since, incidentally.)

Now sometime eventually it'll get to the point where no glasses are needed. The TFT stuff was a good step forward, but way too expensive.

Sure, and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle! What I mean is, could you not just enjoy the spectacular 3D views for now, with this technology? (Again, in decent films such as Up etc. - I am aware it can be just a gimmick too...)

Maybe I should just use the /. idea. RTFA, because most of us did and you didn't.

Or maybe you could quit being an arrogant, cynical gobshite? I know I could do with that too, from time to time

Oh, and if my spies are correct (googling your username ), you're not old and cranky - you're under 30 for Chrissakes! Just wait for that hump

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 07:13.

News Comments > The Saboteur ATI Problems
20. Re: The Saboteur ATI Problems Dec 11, 2009, 05:48 pnag

Well, for what it's worth, I've played all three (AC1, 2 and Saboteur). AC1 - Xbox and PC
AC2 - Xbox
Saboteur - Xbox and PC

So far, IMHO, Saboteur is the best. Granted, I do need to play more AC2, but it really felt like an expansion with better graphics rather than a sequel.

60 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo