Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jan Sjögren

Real Name Jan Sjögren   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname KilgoreTrout
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 16, 2007, 02:43
Total Comments 29 (Suspect)
User ID 34137

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2014, 07:23 KilgoreTrout

But you won't because then you'd have to admit you're wrong. And fact is you've never been right about anything, ever.
Jesus, how dumb are you not to be able to grasp that simple fact.

Wow. That escalated quickly. I sincerely didn't know you had these kind of issues, Cutter. I knew you were the forum cynic, but I really thought you could handle normal argumentation without resorting to insults. My bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2014, 06:22 KilgoreTrout

The fact that your corner of the world (the U.S.) may have peaked and is currently faced with great challenges doesn't mean that the world at large is not improving. Have you seen the statistics on global poverty, infant mortality, access to health care, nutrition, violent conflict deaths and average life spans? They have been going firmly in the right direction for the last 50 years and show no signs of suddenly reversing.

Are there great challenges ahead? Sure. There have always been. But I believe we are better equipped than ever to deal with them, because of science and technology.

Cutter, you have so far made zero fact-based claims to support your position, just the usual "look, everything is bad and getting worse and you are blind not to see it" that disillusioned people have been saying forever. I think you need to look at the world and see that life is improving for the vast majority of people, even though it might not be for you and/or where you are.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 22:06 KilgoreTrout

Cutter, the world is not getting worse. In general it is getting a lot better (though maybe not for you personally). Less violence, less disease, less poverty, more democracy. Have a look at "The Better Angels of our Nature" by Steven Pinker, a very well-researched book about how (contrary to popular belief) we actually live in the least violent period since the dawn of humanity. Even the world wars were not that bad compared to many historical conflicts (in proportion to population).

I don't buy the general doom & gloom scenario, with the possible exception of global catastrophes like an asteroid hit. People have been saying that the world is going to hell in a handbasket since hell and handbaskets were invented, but it is just not the case.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2014, 15:38 KilgoreTrout

Colonizing space is not primarily about protecting humanity from itself, but from cataclysmic events such as asteroid strikes. If a big one hits earth it does not matter how advanced our civilization is, or how well we have taken care of our planet. Still, cynicism and fatalism hasn't gotten anyone anywhere. The cult of Christianity caught on because most people (including Jesus himself) were convinced that the apocalypse was just around the corner. That was 2000 years and a lot of moral/human progress ago.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Patched
22. Re: Battlefield 4 Patched Dec 17, 2013, 03:41 KilgoreTrout

For me, the game works ok technically (no sound problems, only an occasional crash or disconnect). The friendly player tag bug is by far the most annoying, since a second of waiting with an enemy in your crosshair is more than enough to get you killed. This still hasn't been totally fixed.

But the game is excellent. So many things to do, weapons to unlock and different play styles to try.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 KilgoreTrout

Since you all seem to be well-informed gentlemen, I would like to know if anyone has an opinion regarding mods that diminish/stop the auto-levelling of enemies (there seem to be a couple of these mods). I haven't played Skyrim yet but will do so pretty soon. I've always had a problem with the fact that the world levels up with you in the Elder Scrolls games, so that you always meet enemies more or less your own level. I find it kills immersion. Any opinions or suggestions?  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2012, 11:32 KilgoreTrout

Which is why I try to get my sausage from butchers I know use non-gross meat.

If you cannot tell, it's not gross anymore. The grossness only exists in your brain. It's not embedded in the proteins. As you quoted, there's nothing wrong with the meat (it's just that we have grown unaccustomed to eating it).

It's a relatively new luxury and a signal of our wealth that we can afford to not eat some edible parts of the animals we slaughter. Imagine that 200 years ago. I think it's great if you can process those parts into tasty stuff, as long as you don't need to add too many potentially harmful chemicals along the way.

If something

1) Tastes good
2) Looks good
3) Is nutritious
4) Does not contain harmful substances

...it fills all the requirements for happy eating, and it doesn't (shouldn't) really matter if it's made out of rats, insects, jellyfish or slightly darker meat than usual.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 15, 2012, 05:43 KilgoreTrout

LOL @ Bill Paxton. :o)  

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold
15. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. License Sold Dec 12, 2012, 12:45 KilgoreTrout

Have they fixed the Complete mod for CoP yet? I was all excited to dive right into it, but I heard that particular variant (unlike the one for the other two games) is hideously broken and the developer abandoned it.

I played CoP with the complete mod shortly after it was released. It worked just fine. Maybe some little glitch somewhere, but difficult to know if it was the mod or the game.

CoP is the most polished of the three, but the concept started to get a little old. Some segments of ShoC were among the most intense gaming moments of my life, though.

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
45. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 29, 2012, 05:27 KilgoreTrout

I am talking about big ideas, not that piddly stuff. If the sequel is underwater like Terror was, it is pretty similar to adding a double-barreled shotgun to Doom and calling it a sequel.

Yeah, Terror from the Deep was a bit silly. It really just felt as if they rehashed everything with different textures. The underwater combat was just like regular combat. You could even throw grenades. Under the water. That killed the immersion for me.

The problem is mainly one of lore/story I think. It would be pretty easy to do a sequel with more missions, new gameplay features, enemies, graphics etc. But how would you fit it into the X-com world? The charm of X-com is to gradually reveal the alien conspiracy and their technology. After the first game mankind already has access to all that. Then you either have to set the game far into the future (like some later orginal X-com sequels) or try to invent some excuse for a new storyline (TFTD). Or maybe reset the knowledge gained through some convoluted story twist. They all kinda suck.

News Comments > Gollop on X-COM Remake
36. Re: Gollop on X-COM Remake Nov 28, 2012, 19:11 KilgoreTrout

Now that they have gone through the source material, will they be able to come up with something innovative? I very much hope so.

I have an idea! They could make it so that it is UNDER WATER for the sequel. Like, aliens terrorizing from the deeps! They don't even have to change anything: Just say it's underwater, remove some buildings and add some kelp. Next!

News Comments > Notch's Space Adventure Plans
21. Re: Notch's Space Adventure Plans Mar 18, 2012, 22:02 KilgoreTrout

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 18:34:
Everyone will be piloting Borg ships.

lol

News Comments > Frozen Synapse "Musical" DLC Plans
4. Re: Frozen Synapse Jan 17, 2012, 16:44 KilgoreTrout

I also played it intensively for a week or two (and enjoyed it immensely), then completely forgot about it. The fact that the two last campaign missions are seriously bugged and almost impossible to finish did not help (and AFAIK they haven't fixed this yet, it was a pretty low-level game engine bug).  

News Comments > BF2143 Hinted?
4. Re: BF2143 Hinted? Dec 19, 2011, 10:30 KilgoreTrout

I think BF2142 was the best Battlefield game so far. Extremely good squad and teamplay mechanics, and mechs are always nice. I stopped playing for a lack of good populated servers.

If they let BF3 get bigger squads and implement squad VOIP it could become even better, though.

News Comments > GSC Game World Closing?
31. Re: GSC Game World Closing? Dec 9, 2011, 20:06 KilgoreTrout

Parts of SoC were the best moments I've experienced in gaming. Delving into sealed-off bunkers or suddenly encountering snorks in the middle of the night with only a few bullets left was... An experience.

At the same time I feel that the series could have been so much more after two sequels. In CoP it felt a bit like they were going on rails, and the voice acting was getting on my nerves. "Spill the beans", anyone? It was good, but not great, and the game engine peculiarities started to seep through the cracks and kill the atmosphere somewhat.

I sure hope someone carries on this tradition of intelligent fps gaming, which is a rarity.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 VOIP Changes Today
33. Commo Rose Dec 6, 2011, 17:39 KilgoreTrout

If they implemented the commo rose as promised it would alleviate the absence of ingame group VOIP somewhat.

I have never really been bothered by VOIP in BF2 or BF2142. It worked really well, with people mostly keeping the communication brief and to the point. Not like CS.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
21. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 07:27 KilgoreTrout

Fibrocyte wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 05:42:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:05:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 18:56:
Wish there was a way that servers could filter out players over certain ranks. It sucks that I can't dedicate my life to this game and am only rank 8 and get my ass handed to me constantly by 35+ers out there.

Play Team Deathmatch and you can rank up pretty quick, also don't forget you can pick up guns that have fallen on the ground.

Thanks for the tip. I just started playing multiplayer on Friday and I'm only rank 2. I probably get about an hour per day in so I'll give team DM a try.

Try to find a 64-player Metro conquest server where explosive use is banned (one named Killzone 7 comes to mind, but there are probably lots of them). Play as assault. You will rack up lots of points just by reviving/healing teammates, and quickly get enough kills to unlock weapon equipment even if you are not an expert player.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2011, 12:07 KilgoreTrout

Happy Birthday, Blue!  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: BioWare says 18 Percent of... Jul 20, 2011, 13:54 KilgoreTrout

Agree completely, the female Shepard voice casting in ME is perfect.

I normally tend to play female characters if they are available in a game. Don't know why really, perhaps to get some variation, or perhaps simply because I like the idea of strong, capable women beating up bad guys.

News Comments > Valve Linux Port Plans?
9. Re: Yay! Sep 3, 2010, 09:37 KilgoreTrout

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I would probably love to go Linux, even though I think Windows 7 works great. But I like the philosophy and customizability of Linux.

It's just that it's not entirely my decision. My clients require Outlook support (is there any app with full compatibility regarding scheduling/appointments etc?) and I need to be able to send, receive and work on psd:s and Illustrator files, since they are the defacto standard. I suspect the compatibility of the apps you list is not 100%. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Agree on Adobe prices, they are ridiculous.

29 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo