Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2708 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
204. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:07 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 17:02:
Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 16:43:
Technically you demonstrated a lack of comprehension when you completely got the definition of "ethics" wrong but hey who is counting?

Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. You need to look up the definition yourself if you think I got it completely wrong.

I did. From multiple sources.

You confused morals, which are personal, internal judgment calls, with ethics, which is the study of systems of morality among a population. Ethics are the grander scale morals that communities settle on. To say ethics are an individual, internal decision is wrong. To say morals are an individual, internal decision is more correct.

Edit: The distinction is kind of hazy, but the dividing factor in all like... 7 definitions I looked up is that ethics are more wide scale and not individual in scope.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2015, 17:12.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

201. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:02 Flatline

Sgt. Rock wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:48:
Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:25:
Mark Hamill and Andy Serkis really are the only two actors in that list though that strike me as "voice actors" of any real caliber. I suspect everyone else is gonna phone it in.
They had a 66 day mocap shoot, and if you watch the video pretty much all the A-listers were there getting mocapped.
https://youtu.be/_5sRUYwgWGI?t=1h31m15s

Sure. Mocap means that the animations are done off of actual physical humans. But that's not what I was talking about.

When I mean "phone it in" I mean give the usual bland, uninspiring, cringe-worthy performance that most big actors give when they're in a video game. Voice actors have experience... well... acting through their voice, and that's still what 90% of the performance is.

Let's take Andy Serkis. Imagine if as playing as Gollum in Lord of the Rings he gave a flat voiced, bored, or confused vocal performance. Wouldn't matter what his mocap performance was if his voice was bored as hell and wasn't trying.

I very well could be wrong here. But when you look at shit like Peter Dinklage in Destiny, it still very possible.

In a more relevant example, listen to how *truly* horrible Gary Oldman's "inspiring" speech is in the beginning SQ42 cinema. It's a terrible performance. He's doing it for a paycheck. Or he's confused about this newfangled computer gig.

198. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 16:50 Flatline

Zor wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:24:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:37:
Dude. Every single crowdfunding project from the 2012/2013 era has either been released or is in a much more advanced state of development than Star Citizen.

That's the narration CR has decided to go with. "It's not my fault. The Backers' wanted these things." Backers should be pissed off for being the scapegoat for Chris' failure to deliver on his promises. Instead you drink up that lie and then regurgitate it back out... and proudly I might add. Chris Roberts is literally saying it's YOUR, the backers, fault and you're totally happy with that.

What a crazy world.
They are certainly guilty for offering stretch goals but the crowd funded them. If the crowd shared your opinion, it wouldn't have funded those goals.

Actually you can't prove that. It's impossible at this point to determine if the continued funding during the stretch goal phase was due to people being excited about the expanding scope of the project or due to just wanting to get *in* on the project. You'd basically have to either interview every contributor about their mental state getting into a kickstarter 1+ years ago or have had them fill out a quick questionnaire asking "Are you doing this to further more stretch goals?"

The only thing you can say with certainty is that a small minority of very vocal participants on the CIG website overwhelmingly wanted more stretch goals.

196. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 16:43 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:34:
Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 12:16:
Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 04:49:
That's not what I said is it? I said "fuck YOUR ethics". Did you not understand anything I wrote prior to that? Your ethics are as valuable as your opinion, they are your own and nobody else has to abide by them.

All ethics is, an opinion of how things should be from that individual. A collection of individuals that both agree and disagree make up the laws based on those collection of ethics. Those people, around the world have collectively agreed that nepotism is not illegal, therefor, not wrong.

Did... did you really just argue that if something isn't illegal it's not wrong?

Because I can take that all kinds of interesting places. Cheating on your SO? Not wrong. The mortgage scams that led to the 2008 recession? Not wrong. Intentionally taking money through a corporation when you know you can't possibly deliver and hiding behind the corporation's legal protections? Not wrong. Jacking life-saving medicine up from 17 bucks to 900 dollars a pill? Not wrong.

I could keep going.

By all means keep going. All you've done is demonstrate your lack of comprehension.

Technically you demonstrated a lack of comprehension when you completely got the definition of "ethics" wrong but hey who is counting?

194. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 16:42 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:36:
Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:18:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:33:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 12:58:
I understand why Blue post these articles, he needs to fund the site somehow and threads that have 130+ posts im sure help a lot, but I would rather him or the site just ignore any SC "news" at lest until the controversy dies away (ya right this is SC we are talking about).

That's a fancy way of saying click-bait, and of course you "would rather him or the site just ignore any SC "news" at lest until the controversy dies away". You have to protect your $22,000 investment.

Oh yeah it's that guy. We can only hope he stays away.

So the guy with 22k in the game has less of a voice over the retards around here with 0 dollars in the game?

The level of stupidity never ceases to amaze.

DSmart and Kxmode can keep posting their drivel in SC threads, no reason he can't have his say too.

He didn't want a say in the conversation dude, what he wanted is for *nobody* to have a say.

155. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:25 Flatline

Eh, it was a stretch goal to get higher voice talent for the game I really can't complain. Mark Hamill and Andy Serkis really are the only two actors in that list though that strike me as "voice actors" of any real caliber. I suspect everyone else is gonna phone it in.

And really I'm fine with that. I'm not okay with the idea that any of the "in game" stuff we're seeing is essentially the same shit over and over again. Okay yes the idea that you can EVA out of your ship is cool but I've seen that like half a dozen times now. That's more concerning to me than the voice actors.

152. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:18 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:33:
I understand why Blue post these articles, he needs to fund the site somehow and threads that have 130+ posts im sure help a lot, but I would rather him or the site just ignore any SC "news" at lest until the controversy dies away (ya right this is SC we are talking about).

That's a fancy way of saying click-bait, and of course you "would rather him or the site just ignore any SC "news" at lest until the controversy dies away". You have to protect your $22,000 investment.

Oh yeah it's that guy. We can only hope he stays away.

151. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:15 Flatline

Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 12:34:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 09:06:
Blue wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:35:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:13:
I just hope blue stops with the click bait sensationalist re-posting of this crap and moves on. Chances are low as i'm sure this gets him good ad revenue.

If you deem "Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed" as clickbait then I can only assume you feel the only way to cover this game fairly is by ignoring it entirely.

Yes ... you know as well as I do that posting anything related to star citizen is going to create dissension within your forms which in turn creates ad revenue for the site. I have supported this site for years and enjoy it very much with it's quick fix for news from around the internet but everytime I see a star citizen News posting it makes me cringe at the vile nature of this community. I try to avoid the forms as much as possible but when it gets over 100 post, its hard not to glance at it and then it's hard not to get worked up at the cynicism and the jadedness of the community.

But that seems to be the norm these days. Would you feel better if Blue put up a trigger warning on all SC stories? Or do you need a safe room with puppies and bubbles and play-doh to insulate you from ideas you don't like?

I understand why Blue post these articles, he needs to fund the site somehow and threads that have 130+ posts im sure help a lot, but I would rather him or the site just ignore any SC "news" at lest until the controversy dies away (ya right this is SC we are talking about). This is a news site, or at least I thought it was.

IDK about you but I come here for News, not mindless drivel. Then again we are talking about you and SC sooooo ...

listen, I understand that you gave 40+ bucks to CIG(?) so you feel entitled to board room expensive reports and all funding expenditures released to the masses, I get that, you want to feel important. I mean you most likely pre-reserved the next DOOM game but yet I don't see any complaints that its taken id 5 years(?) to show anything, or the real con of a game called Destiny ... But hay this is SC we are talking about and you deserve an answer of their use of funds damn it! Golfclap

dont worry about replying, i'll take your advice .. im done anyways, it's obvious by the posts that these boards are mostly 10 people soap opera anyways. peace out

Dude you choose your own level of involvement here nobody is strapping you down and taping your eyes open clockwork orange style forcing you to be here.

Edit: You're also 100% wrong in all your assumptions so the implied insults fall a little flat. But funny shit none the less.

137. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 12:34 Flatline

NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 09:06:
Blue wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:35:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:13:
I just hope blue stops with the click bait sensationalist re-posting of this crap and moves on. Chances are low as i'm sure this gets him good ad revenue.

If you deem "Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed" as clickbait then I can only assume you feel the only way to cover this game fairly is by ignoring it entirely.

Yes ... you know as well as I do that posting anything related to star citizen is going to create dissension within your forms which in turn creates ad revenue for the site. I have supported this site for years and enjoy it very much with it's quick fix for news from around the internet but everytime I see a star citizen News posting it makes me cringe at the vile nature of this community. I try to avoid the forms as much as possible but when it gets over 100 post, its hard not to glance at it and then it's hard not to get worked up at the cynicism and the jadedness of the community.

Sounds like you have a willpower problem.

There's a really easy solution. Don't read the comments. Having a personal character flaw and expecting an entire community curtail to your flaw is extremely arrogant.

But that seems to be the norm these days. Would you feel better if Blue put up a trigger warning on all SC stories? Or do you need a safe room with puppies and bubbles and play-doh to insulate you from ideas you don't like?

136. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 12:16 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 04:49:
That's not what I said is it? I said "fuck YOUR ethics". Did you not understand anything I wrote prior to that? Your ethics are as valuable as your opinion, they are your own and nobody else has to abide by them.

All ethics is, an opinion of how things should be from that individual. A collection of individuals that both agree and disagree make up the laws based on those collection of ethics. Those people, around the world have collectively agreed that nepotism is not illegal, therefor, not wrong.

Did... did you really just argue that if something isn't illegal it's not wrong?

Because I can take that all kinds of interesting places. Cheating on your SO? Not wrong. The mortgage scams that led to the 2008 recession? Not wrong. Intentionally taking money through a corporation when you know you can't possibly deliver and hiding behind the corporation's legal protections? Not wrong. Jacking life-saving medicine up from 17 bucks to 900 dollars a pill? Not wrong.

I could keep going.

48. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 19:38 Flatline

Also that saitek controller looked like ass.

How much do you think the full saitek control pod is going to run? 500? A cool grand? And it still probably will be inferior to mouse and keyboard.

47. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 19:34 Flatline

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 19:20:
I know I am in the minority here, but I want this game to be as awesome as the devs envision. I want this game to succeed.

We actually all want this. We just don't think it will happen. At it's best SC has been in dev for 3 years and they don't have gameplay to show for their single player game. I mean WTF?

I don't see how this game failing or picking on the devs or badmouthing this title at every turn helps our hobby? The financial backing has been great, and I would love to see this method used again for another awesome title because there's a nice freedom to how this title came about.

It won't help the hobby if it turns out CR took 90 million bucks and couldn't deliver a goddamn space sim game. And the more money dumped into it, the more it's going to hurt if it fails.

Succeed or fail you will probably never see this kind of a crowd funded game again at these levels. Even if the game is shipped there is zero way that it will live up to the expectations of the fans.

And finally, from accounts, it seems like unrestricted freedom is exactly the problem with the project.

/Did I just feed a troll?

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
80. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 10, 2015, 03:10 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 22:36:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:16:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 12:37:
This is a video from the third-party contractor working with CIG for facial animations: https://vimeo.com/122667590

As for the explosions, they look pretty awesome to me.

KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

That landed so squarely in the uncanny valley that it made me shiver.

That's incredible animation, but I'm not sure that it's any better than the technology Rockstar showed off in LA Noire almost five years ago... Kinda wonder why that never caught on (cost probably.)

I'd say it's better than LA Noire. LA Noire was basically the talking heads in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. They had a head shaped model and projected a movie of a real face onto it. Yeah it was more difficult than that but the face would do some really weird swimming. Plus, most games don't need to express nonverbal empathy cues the way that LA Noire needed.

The thing that animation needs to have is not just facial movement but the whole body. Ramrod stiff heads and bodies that don't fucking twitch sets off my creep meter severely.

It's actually not particularly more technically advanced than high quality character renders recently. It is just higher fidelity.

The next big breakthrough in animation is going to be figuring out how to take all that emotion and non-verbal cues and turn that into a solution that is economical enough that pushing photo realistic digital human characters passes the uncanny valley.

Sort of how the big breakthrough in Snow Crash's matrix was the addition of nonverbal cues. Neil Stephenson was right.

68. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 18:40 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 18:01:
Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:45:
Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:39:
This is a video from the third-party contractor working with CIG for facial animations: https://vimeo.com/122667590

...Because we'd rather have "It's a bomb!" from Deus Ex. Jesus.

Seriously? All I said is that it hit the uncanny valley. The textures and the actual facial animations look great. There's no body language though and it looks so good that my brain expects there to be more nonverbal communication and recoils when there isn't.

Take a fucking pill dude. In order for something to hit the uncanny valley it has to be of a certain very high quality by definition.

Apologies..."KILL IT WITH FIRE" was taken the wrong way...

No sweat. That's just how you kill all alien pod people who are devoid of emotion. From Alien to The Thing to Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the remake)

66. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 17:49 Flatline

As far as the video, the nitpicky geek in me points out that the vertical shock wave in those explosions has no reason to actually originate from where it does on the ship. They just put it there because it's symmetrical. It probably should be emanating either from the power reactor or the weakest part of the ship depending on how you choose to describe the physics of the explosion.

The 90's called though and want their lens flares back.

65. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 17:45 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 17:39:

...Because we'd rather have "It's a bomb!" from Deus Ex. Jesus.

Seriously? All I said is that it hit the uncanny valley. The textures and the actual facial animations look great. There's no body language though and it looks so good that my brain expects there to be more nonverbal communication and recoils when there isn't.

Take a fucking pill dude. In order for something to hit the uncanny valley it has to be of a certain very high quality by definition.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide Rises
2. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide Rises Oct 9, 2015, 17:41 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 12:31:
Looks... underwhelming.

Agreed. I really, really wanted to like Beyond Earth but it fell really flat.

62. Re: Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer Oct 9, 2015, 17:16 Flatline

News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
19. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 13:27 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 13:06
If they want to be paid more, they can argue for more up front or per session. [/quote:

Er... isn't that what they're doing? Arguing up front for more money?

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
206. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 7, 2015, 16:42 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:31:
But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

20 years and 100 million dollars later and I still enjoy the combat in Freespace 2 more than Arena Commander.

2708 Comments. 136 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo