Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2362 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 12, 2015, 14:50 Flatline

Red wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 14:37:
"And now two California state senators are planning to propose legislation that would repeal the personal belief exemption entirely."
Readily available, publicized evidence claims vaccines are statistically safe. That's great, and makes legislation like this easy for most folks to swallow.

But let's put the vaccine safety debate aside for a second and evaluate the precedent this legislation would set. The government would be able to inject your baby with drugs, and you would be legally unable to refuse. How does that not scare the shit out of you? What kind of parent are you if it doesn't? What happens when the government abuses this newfound power for other reasons, power it was granted when people narrowly looked at only the reasonable applications instead of the bigger picture?

I'm not advocating against vaccination, but those people who insist they have a right to decide if their babies will be forcibly injected with drugs are the ONLY people with any sense. They absolutely MUST have the RIGHT to DECIDE. And if their concerns are addressed and questions adequately answered, they'll CHOOSE to vaccinate. i am deeply worried and embarrassed to share a species with anyone dumb enough to waive that right, or worse, advocate its elimination.

Actually this is settled law for over 100 years now. The SCOTUS has ruled that the government can demand that you get vaccinated for imminent outbreaks and public health reasons. You can refuse, but you can go to jail for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

Also, anti-vaxxers are paranoid, and reject rational explanations. Their paranoia is based out of nebulous fears that not only have no evidence to support them, but also have mountains of evidence explicitly against them. Yet this view persists.

Also, as we're seeing now with this measles outbreak, your decision not to vaccinate *does* impact others. It is potentially lethal in itself, it's especially lethal in individuals with immune deficiencies and very young babies. So where does your right to be ignorant and paranoid end and my right to not get the plague from your paranoid ass begin?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 12, 2015, 13:54 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2015, 12:19:
or is it because they confuse steamPUNK with the Victorian era where one has nothing to do with the other?

Mostly this. When I think "steampunk" I think clockwork automata that borders on fetishistic. I think of modern solutions using period technology. I think of baroque, overly complicated functioning, practical works of art.

I don't think of (poorly made) Victorian clothes with a couple brass gears stitched on. Or nerf guns with bits and bobs hot glued to them and spray-painted bronze then sold for 90 dollars.

I gotta give the Japanese a lot of credit though. If I think serious steampunk I think Japanese these days. Check out the aesthetic approach to something like a watch:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/steamwatch.jpg

Besides, I'm kind of into the aesthetic of dieselpunk these days. Crimson Skies style shit. Dust/Dust Tactics military stuff. Deep-throated monster 100 cylinder touring/racing cars custom built with the engineer crawling over the thing as it barrels along at 100 mph tweaking, oiling, and keeping the machine running.

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Early Early Access
17. Re: Medieval Engineers Early Early Access Feb 11, 2015, 18:33 Flatline

Incidentally, Keen is full of shit. They can totally send owners of Space Engineers a coupon for 25% off in Steam for another game. I get them all the f*cking time.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Patch
33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Patch Feb 11, 2015, 18:11 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 08:31:
Obligatory: Is this the patch that makes the game fun?

Serious question: I've read here at BN that a lot of people are recommending a HOTAS system. However, I already have a perfectly functional Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. Would pairing it with a Logitech G13, which I also already own, work just as well?

The trackball would be more or less pointless. I play with a keyboard and joystick just fine so I think you could pull it off.

Actually I wouldn't miss the throttle in a HOTAS setup at all if I had a goddamn hat that I could use to control some of my strafing thrusters on my main controller. That's actually what I"d use most *on* a thruster slider actually. I'm perfectly fine with the digital set up of the keyboard. Fast/slow bound to W and S respectively and 50% reverse and 50% forward bound to X and C. That way I can hit reverse, go into free flight mode, pivot, then hit c to instantly start moving the direction I want (or afterburners), then tap W to either accelerate up to the top of combat speed or all the way up to full throttle. Otherwise X & C are my main "combat" throttle settings.

News Comments > Vietnam '65 Next Month
15. Re: Vietnam '65 Next Month Feb 11, 2015, 18:01 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 17:35:
Trainwreck wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 13:10:
Task wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:52:
Only US side? If I can't play as the Vietnamese who won their deserved victory, then its a no go.

Dude, if you had any idea what the communists who "deserved victory" were actually like, you'd know how completely fucked up that statement is. I'm not saying America should have got involved (we shouldn't have) or that we didn't blunder our way through a lot of it with high cost to life (we did), but the communist unification of the country in the 1970s was absolutely nothing to celebrate.

Better idea for a game: take America and its other non-Vietnamese allies and make them tangents to the story at best. Focus on Vietnamese protagonists from both sides and show how fucked up a civil war really can be.

The South Vietnamese government and military was rotten and corrupt. It was a military dictatorship. So there really was no good option for the people of Vietnam.

As an intellectual exercise, playing a strategic game of the Vietnam war sounds interesting. How could it have been done differently? Still, even if the North had been defeated (and I don't see how you do that without invading the North and triggering a Chinese counter-invasion) the result would have been a clusterfuck, just like we're seeing in Iraq currently.

The main problem with the US' Vietnam strategy was "search and destroy." You need to take and hold territory. You can't win by trying to kill enemy soldiers (then retreat) until there are no more when the North has basically an endless supply.

This is actually a problem that we haven't solved yet. Insurgency from both nationals and foreign entities is something that even after 40 years America hasn't learned how to deal with. We have a strategy we *think* will work but hasn't yet: Shore up the government and then GTFO and let them deal with it for the next 20 years or so. But we're spectacularly bad when it comes to creating a government out of whole cloth.

If you have a Roku, PBS has a Frontline episode on the clusterf*ck that is Iraq and how we basically screwed up as badly as you could imagine there. We almost literally grabbed the first Iraqi who didn't want to spit on us and said "hey how'd you like to lead the country?"

But yeah, we're terrible at counter-insurgency. Part of it I think is that we're a culture that doesn't understand that other cultures are so oppressed, or in such a crappy quality of life, that dying fighting is culturally preferable to rotting in misery. We think that inflicting an obscene amount of casualties will win wars, but as we saw in Vietnam that doesn't always work. We killed well over a million people in that war and it didn't achieve strategic victory.

I honestly don't know if there *is* a military solution to insurgency. The popular thought is that there only is within the scope of giving a government time to establish itself and develop infrastructure and a military. Which, you know, works on paper, but finding someone to lead a government, relatively fairly, who is friendly to us, and is liked by the people, and isn't corrupt, is something we really haven't learned how to do yet. If it can be done at all.

Edited because I looked up casualties for Vietnam.

9. Re: Vietnam '65 Next Month Feb 11, 2015, 13:48 Flatline

Trainwreck wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 13:10:
Task wrote on Feb 11, 2015, 09:52:
Only US side? If I can't play as the Vietnamese who won their deserved victory, then its a no go.

Dude, if you had any idea what the communists who "deserved victory" were actually like, you'd know how completely fucked up that statement is. I'm not saying America should have got involved (we shouldn't have) or that we didn't blunder our way through a lot of it with high cost to life (we did), but the communist unification of the country in the 1970s was absolutely nothing to celebrate.

Better idea for a game: take America and its other non-Vietnamese allies and make them tangents to the story at best. Focus on Vietnamese protagonists from both sides and show how fucked up a civil war really can be.

Not a bad idea.

My favorite piece of Vietnam trivia is to ask people how Ho Chi Minh started his inauguration address.

Nobody really knows

History be complicated yo.

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Early Early Access
3. Re: Medieval Engineers Early Early Access Feb 11, 2015, 13:46 Flatline

I need a flowchart for that press announcement.

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATH.

Also isn't Space Engineers still in early access? Isn't it bullshit to early-access a new game when your previous game is still basically in alpha?

6. Re: Vietnam '65 Next Month Feb 11, 2015, 12:08 Flatline

There's a lot of room for grand strategy in a Vietnam war game. I'll be interested to see if this one captures a lot of the idiosyncrasies of that war.

There's a board game that came out recently, Fire in the Lake, that does pretty well. But even then it misses some of the bizarre shit like how hands-on the staff at the white house were in the day to day tactical aspects of the war. They'd pick bombing targets, then dictate for "political reasons" the direction of the attack, altitude, etc etc... Sometimes it seemed like completely arbitrary bullshit.

We have eleventy billion grand strategy games for WW2 I'd like to see Korea and Vietnam get some attention finally. It'd be worth it.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2015, 19:06 Flatline

I doubt anyone noticed.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
916. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 10, 2015, 19:05 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:25:
Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 18:21:
...alight with people shitting purple twinkies...

That is good. I need to use that in a conversation sometime.

You know it's bad when your boss asks you where the hell you got your sayings from.

914. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 10, 2015, 18:21 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 17:34:
Hmm...the forums are alight with complaints. The biggest one being that "scraping" damage is borked, and causes your ship to get blown up or suffer massive shield/hull damage. I think a python's repair bill is about $20k per 1% hull damage. Some asshole npc sidewinder scraping me could take me down to 15% hull. Eff that....

I might wait for a hotfix. I'm not too keen to waste several evenings worth of trading money spent on stupid damage bug issues.

The beta forum was alight with people shitting purple twinkies over a lot of the changes and they barely got addressed/balanced last I heard.

That was a spectacularly short beta for 1.1...

I love the game but it kind of seems like the devs are only half-listening to feedback from the beta community.

News Comments > Diablo III Cheaters Banned
23. Re: Diablo III Cheaters Banned Feb 10, 2015, 18:17 Flatline

I can't count how many times I was mildly interested in leaderboards in a game, and I go check and the top 10,000 players all have hacked/broken scores.

Not quite the case here but I've given up on leaderboards completely because I've pretty much never seen one that wasn't completely covered in cheaters.

883. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Feb 6, 2015, 18:56 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 08:03:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 07:50:
Okay, I admit I wasn't following along. I got that shadowplay was some kind of recording setup but other than that I seem to have missed it?
It's part of the Nvidia drivers.
It basically runs in the background and always records. If you want to save the clip it records you just hit Alt+F10 and it saves the last 10 minutes of recording. You can change the length in the settings to more or less and also the quality it records in, microphone input etc.

The best part is it doesn't hit your performance like Fraps does because it is all hardware not software.
Nvidia uses a chip on the video card to record so basically 0 performance hit.
I have it running all the time so I can save precious moments like this : http://youtu.be/pPq7pnbIv-Y

I love the Asp. With 6 guns that ship eats everything in front of it. I can't wait to have it all upgraded. I only put some basic guns on it and a better FSD everything else is pretty much stock!

Also, AMD has a tech called GVR that does the same thing Shadowplay does, but doesn't rely on branded tech. It's not quite as optimized for nVidia, so you might as well stick with shadowplay, but doesn't take much of a hit if you have an AMD card.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
25. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 6, 2015, 18:42 Flatline

Rhino wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:51:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:48:
Mordor had a dreadful story that was was poorly strung together and made little sense. Outstanding Achievement my ass haha.

Yeah, I was caught off guard by that one, too. I know of NOBODY that felt that story was anything more than serviceable. Yes, fine, opinions may vary, blah blag and so forth.
Destiny as Action Game of the Year also caught me off guard. Even Wolfenstein: The New Order was, to me, a vastly superior offering; and not even I would claim that it was perfect. Great, yes. Perfect, no.

Wolfenstein might have been the biggest surprise of the year for me. I was expecting shit. I got a surprisingly compelling story and a fun shoot em up game.

Let's put it this way. I got it on steam sale for something stupid like 9 dollars. Not only did I feel I got my money's worth, I felt that I could have spent 30 or 40 dollars and felt like I got my money's worth.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
13. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 17:48 Flatline

Okay I finally watched the video.

Again couldn't they have like done this with the kinect and head tracking?

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Beta
6. Re: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Beta Feb 6, 2015, 12:39 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 10:13:
So, basically, still a digital version of Starfleet Battles?

If Only. I miss Starfleet Command.

GSB was barely a game. You were expected to use trial and error with almost no logical input to find a combination of bits and bobs for your fleet that would win a battle.

So it basically was like 15 adventure game puzzles one after another but you had to wait 10-15 minutes to see if you managed to figure out the game designer's logic.

Or you go onto a forum and spoil it and have essentially no game at all.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Rogue Eye Tracking Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 Flatline

How is this different from like TrackIR?  

News Comments > WildStar Content Update
3. Re: WildStar Content Update Feb 3, 2015, 16:47 Flatline

Ungh pleas sthap with the proto*corp* themed expansions. It was funny... for about an hour... over a year ago.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 2, 2015, 18:39 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 20:14:
Wetworks24 wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:45:
nin wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:30:
Wetworks24 wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 17:12:
This game looks terrible. Just goes to show that just because something is popular doesn't mean its good.

Yeah! People that like things you don't like! What the fuck indeed!

My issue is that a game that is mostly style with little substance has become the biggest board game / card game kickstarter of all time by a large margin.

People are free to kickstart what they want, just a shame imo when there are far superior board games out there.

Would you mind spending a bit more time and doing an actual review of the game, and what it is you didn't like about it when you played it?

Here's the description of the game:

Exploding Kittens is a highly strategic kitty-powered version of Russian Roulette. Players take turns drawing cards until someone draws an exploding kitten and loses the game. The deck is made up of cards that let you avoid exploding by peeking at cards before you draw, forcing your opponent to draw multiple cards, or shuffling the deck.

I'm not sure how strategic you can get (and really it should be tactical but whatever) when you draw cards off the top of the deck.

But even if you can, it's a simple press your luck game. The *entire* draw is that The Oatmeal is doing the artwork.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2015, 17:31 Flatline

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:43:
Well, that would be most of them since there is going to be very little a robot can't do going forward. Most jobs can be split into logical parts and then repeated and the cost of robotic parts is falling.

(My office is next to a robotics lab)

Wake me up when a computer/robot can play Go and beat say a 6 dan player.

2362 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo