Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2177 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
13. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 14:53 Flatline

Snark aside I appreciate any effort to bring back demos.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome
4. Re: Game Sessions Steam Trials Add Ryse Son of Rome Nov 17, 2014, 11:51 Flatline

garrywong wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 11:44:
24 minutes? Wtf? That's like saying "Here's 1.30minutes of the movie opening, see if you like it"

This is no replacement for proper demos that the industry is trying so hard to bury and forget.

Well when you only have 5 hours of gameplay in a game 24 minutes is a substantial chunk.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 17, 2014, 11:28 Flatline

Modding means that they're still expecting to offer the server software. I have no clue what kind of nightmare specs you'd need to make that happen. Maybe offer a server bundle kit through AWS?  

News Comments > Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped
214. Re: Refunds Demanded as Elite: Dangerous Offline Mode Scrapped Nov 17, 2014, 11:22 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:25:
Verno wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:40:
Games change and I can accept that but they should have been out in front of this in a better way. Devs need to acknowledge this sort of thing can affect future performance in crowdfunding though, be careful.

This is a terrible thread BTW, I feel sorry for any newcomer trying to parse this sort of shit.

The threaded structure really falls apart in this forum when there's this many posts ,)

But I gotta be honest, as others have said, the original KS was all about MP this and MP that, I skipped it and funded star-citizen instead.. so far best decision ever. And remember, This game has a TON more cash than star-citizen. They got many many millions IPO from investors after the KS, unlike Star Citizen which went the "we do this ourselves" route.

Also, the latest tweet by this Braben dude is hilarious, he quotes part of the KS FAQ, which if you read it completely actually means the opposite. (Related to refund rights)

I'm going to have to call for a citation that ED had more than 60 million in funding.

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
51. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 15, 2014, 23:43 Flatline

Bundy wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 20:23:
Flatline wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 17:19:
InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:35:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:57:
Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:39:
Aw shit. Here. 256TB RAM, a core i19@5.3Ghz and a GTXMegaForceSupreme99990Ti.
Well the good news is you will not need specs like that to play the other space game that is due out in a month
and instead of a digital cigar or hair comb they are giving all beta testers an additional free ship (your choice of the 5 new ships) as a thank you for the support.
Oh yeah and there will be 5 more ships in the final game than what was promised in the kickstarter

Looking forward to it. Probably a day one buy. I didnt opt in the beta as Im still lacking a proper TrackIR (it's on the way yay!) but I will definitely purchase Elite Dangerous as soon as it goes 'live'. I realise the game is kind of barebones but it will be a nice change of pace from DCS which is what Ill be playing 'full time'.

Ah you already ordered it. I was going to tell you to google EDTracker. Assembled it's about 50 bucks, if you buy the pieces on their own, figure about 30 bucks plus some soldering. It basically uses similar bits to the Occulus Rift to do accellerometer based head tracking and works really well for X/Y plane tracking (Z plane isn't doable with the chipsets involved apparently).

If you don't have TrackIR it's a good option.

I thought about getting TrackIR for ED, but felt that it would be obsolete once I get Oculus.

I have no idea when Oculus will launch. I'm betting a year or more from now. For now, 40 bucks for a head tracker (an ugly one, in a tic tac box, taped to my headphones) works great for me.

News Comments > Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change "Any Time Soon"; DX10 Support Unlikely
35. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 17:19 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:35:
SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:57:
Well the good news is you will not need specs like that to play the other space game that is due out in a month
and instead of a digital cigar or hair comb they are giving all beta testers an additional free ship (your choice of the 5 new ships) as a thank you for the support.
Oh yeah and there will be 5 more ships in the final game than what was promised in the kickstarter

Looking forward to it. Probably a day one buy. I didnt opt in the beta as Im still lacking a proper TrackIR (it's on the way yay!) but I will definitely purchase Elite Dangerous as soon as it goes 'live'. I realise the game is kind of barebones but it will be a nice change of pace from DCS which is what Ill be playing 'full time'.

Ah you already ordered it. I was going to tell you to google EDTracker. Assembled it's about 50 bucks, if you buy the pieces on their own, figure about 30 bucks plus some soldering. It basically uses similar bits to the Occulus Rift to do accellerometer based head tracking and works really well for X/Y plane tracking (Z plane isn't doable with the chipsets involved apparently).

If you don't have TrackIR it's a good option.

29. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 14:27 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:59:
I guess if so many gamers are willing to spend $250 and up on a virtual ship...

Again finally being willing to ditch 32-bit as your native platform means that a whole shitload of memory becomes theoretically possible. We've been spoiled as shit for around a decade or two now of basically figuring "4 gigs and we're done" because everything was written for 32 bit. Even if you had more memory and a 64-bit system if you were a gamer you figured you'd never actually run more then 4 for games.

I remember when it seemed like you needed a goddamn memory upgrade every six months. I bet over the next... oh let's be fair and say 2 years we'll see the standard expectation of what a "gaming" machine should have in it from a memory standpoint hit 32-64 gigs easy not counting video card memory. I'd settle on 64 but that's 8 times the memory of the PS4 and XBone so for the most part you'll probably see 32 being the comfortable pausing point until the next console generation.

I suspect though that the next year or so we'll see game requirements to hover around 8 gigs. Right now available memory has exploded, either from a 32 to 64 bit jump of 4 gigs total to 8 or from the 512 of memory in the 360 & PS4 to the 8 gigs in the xbone/PS4.

23. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 13:33 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 13:08:
Ridiculously stupid decision, much of the world is still experiencing recession.

They'll need some reason to blame shitty optimization on.

"Oh you don't have specs high enough to simulate the entire universe inside your PC. So sorry it chugs."

Edit: Ultimately this is a not very big deal. If you can't have the same amount of memory available to you as a modern day console then you probably should consider getting a console.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2014, 13:40.

18. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 12:56 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:48:
True, but I didn't feel like the effort to come up with futuristic sounding parts.

AKA: Minimum system reqs for Crysis 9

14. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 12:36 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 12:30:
They'd be stupid to lower the RAM requirement, even if they could. The people who support this game aren't trying to run it on a 300 dollar Dell.

Make it 16GB, an i7 and a GTX970 as minimum. If people are willing to cough up this much money for virtual spaceships, I can't see they'd have much problem getting a beefy PC to play it on.

In 6 years when the thing is "feature complete" that will be a low end rig.

9. Re: Star Citizen 8GB Requirement Won't Change Nov 14, 2014, 11:17 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 10:14:
Wildone wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 09:50:
Idk maybe its just me but, focus on making the flight model FUN first
That is now finished, enjoy it!
Time to move on to the next feature on the 264 pages long list. Landing gear animations, than helmet HUD bad breath indicator, than the digital hair comb for the backers at 63mill

The 75 million dollar stretchmark needs to flat out purchase surgeon simulator and implement each individual finger in physics accurate real-time to implement "real injury engines" where each battle or FPS encounter can result in realistic wounds that require surgical attention to survive. Now the joy of doing field surgery under fire while the victim screams incoherently in your ear the entire time can be YOURS.

In-game earplugs will be offered on a limited time basis for $1200 USD.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 19:35 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 19:06:
Game journalism...sounds so professional doesn't it? And all it is is paid advertising. Lulz.
Laugh2

And it's questionable how much bang for the buck publishers are getting.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $61M
22. Re: Star Citizen Passes $61M Nov 13, 2014, 14:36 Flatline

Gib007 wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 09:02:
I don't know why there is so much hate.

2 legit reasons:

1. The game has morphed severely out of what was originally promised, into something that many people don't want any more. Sure you can make the biggest burrito in the world, but it won't necessarily be the best burrito or even probably a good burrito because the scale of logistics is simply massive when all you wanted was a bean & cheese burrito.

2. Chris Roberts has a history of promising the world and delivering... well... significantly less. And even then, he wasn't the one who eventually delivered, he had to be fired to get the ego out of the way and push a product out the door.

So we've heard this song and dance before and last time it turned out to be less groundbreaking and more ho-hum.

News Comments > Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale
12. Re: Mount&Blade Free on GOG.com Fall Sale Nov 13, 2014, 14:10 Flatline

TIL: Pillars of Eternity is charging 60 bucks for the game. Yeech. Looks like I'll be waiting for a sale for that.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 13, 2014, 13:46 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 12:28:
"Metacritic is obsolete. Early Access where we work on the game until it stops generating money is the new way to go! Pay us now for games we'll never fix! It's like you get double fined! LULZ!"

They might as well sell themselves to Ubisoft after their latest round of shit.

True, but their other comment is interesting that traditional gaming media reviews don't impact sales.

*IF* (and that's a big if) that's true, and more game devs/publishers realize this, that might be a pretty big deal.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Nov 10, 2014, 21:24 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 21:01:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:53:
Oh Adam Baldwin. Why couldn't you just stay Jane and Animal Mother in our memories, and not start spouting right wing conspiracy theories?

I suppose this is true for most actors; few people want to hear their madness, just watch them perform on screen.

Yup. Sean Penn and Alec Baldwin, too. Some people come across as well nuanced. Adam Baldwin comes across as well read but a complete and total ass. Must run in the Baldwin name...

All the Baldwin brothers need periodic enemas to keep from spewing shit from all orifices.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 10, 2014, 14:40 Flatline

I couldn't remember anything noteworthy about it until someone mentioned Overwatch. It literally faded from memory in about 12 hours.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
48. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 9, 2014, 21:13 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 16:03:
loomy wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 23:44:
Elite Dangerous is a good indie game, not a good AAA game. If the lamebrain professional reviewers out there tackle this as an AAA game it will not review well.

It is up to Braben to make sure everyone everywhere knows that this game is a sandbox, period.

They're charging $50, which is AAA money. It'll be reviewed as a $50 game. A shame if lame brain fans excuse weaknesses in any game due to who made it rather than cost.

I got in at Beta 2, about 6 weeks ago.

Apparently I've already put in 50 hours of gameplay. If I stopped playing tonight, and never went back, I'd have gotten about 1.50 per hour of legitimate fun (Beta access was an extra 25 bucks, which sucks but hey, I've gotten my money's worth).

I can count on one hand the number of games I've played in the past 2 years that have delivered that kind of value for my money.

In other news I decided to try Arena Commander again and apparently the installation corrupted patching it tonight so I get to re-download all 20 or 40 gigs.

Wooooo!

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
65. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 9, 2014, 21:03 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 9, 2014, 06:14:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 15:39:
Have we even seen nearly enough to know whether it is innovative or not? Really, how innovative was TF2? It was just a well-polished and pretty well-balanced team shooter with a fun art style.
The graphical style was unprecedented at the time. I can still remember how impressed I was with the visuals when I first played it. In contrast this looks dated, with poor animations, low texture detail and low poly models. It is utterly derivative.

For Blizzard's first new IP in decades it's extremely underwhelming. More effort was put into the cinematic trailer than the game itself.

Not only that but from a visuals standpoint alone Valve went full into role recognition with standout silhouettes and characters that still "pop" even in the middle of a shit load of chaos.

And... let's also not forget that TF2 was the follow-up to the mod that basically *started* the team based classed FPS genre.

We'll see with this. What makes me cautious is that Blizzard is falling back on 10 *years* of design and giving us something that isn't impressive.

It'll still make money like gangbusters though because Blizzard could put their logo on a festering open herpes sore and people would still line up to lick it.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous on December 16
27. Re: Elite: Dangerous on December 16 Nov 7, 2014, 16:19 Flatline

Tim1_2 wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:24:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:20:
I tried the beta, looks like they put alot of thought into the game, but it just does not feel right having to aim your ship to shoot. Just seems a bit ridiculous in a space game.

I seem to remember that some weapons are "gimball'd" meaning you can aim them independtly to shoot, and some are fixed, meaning you have to move your whole ship to aim them, XWing style.

Gimballed weapons track the enemy ship, although they "swim" in their tracking so at anything more than medium distance they aren't particularly good. As far as I know there isn't any manual aiming independent of the actual ship.

As for why you don't have the ability to aim and the ability to fly? Flight is pretty difficult to begin with. If you rely on simply roll/yaw on a joystick or mouse you're going to get killed in dogfighting. You also have to strafe and pretty much use all the degreees of movement, and that's kind of a 2 handed operation to begin with. Managing turreted weapons on top of that would be more than most people can keep track of.

2177 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo