Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
28. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 4, 2014, 00:01 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 3, 2014, 01:04:
Flatline wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:58:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:20:
nimski wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:48:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:52:
it's not stop and play FPS for a while.

It's when you are boarding a ship to capture it, you and your friends will board the ship and have to kill the current owners of the ship and then take control of it. Killing them in FPS, inside the corridors of the ship etc.

Also, lets say you find an abandoned space station or whatever, you land your ship on it, get out walk around to explore, and another person has also landed on the other side and all of a sudden a FPS firefight breaks out as you run into each other both exploring the same station or planet etc. (or groups of players exploring together)

Ok.. that's cool and all, but what game are your friends playing when you decide to board the ship? They will be flying their own ships most likely. So everyone will need to stop and come do the boarding mini-game. I'm just trying to think of how this plays out in reality.

The friends could also be in your ship. example: The Constellation is a 4 crew ship so 3 of your friends could be flying around with you manning the turrets etc. and you guys decide to board another ship to take it.

Oh yay. I will point out that the turret/rail shooter portions of FPS games are usually the shittiest parts of the game.

Now you're telling me I get to spend unlimited hours of playing that? Where do I sign up?

who put a gun to your head to play what you don't like? you must have some shitty friends.

most will most likely have npc as crew, and yes as a previous poster was asking, the npc's will be able to help you board etc. they probably won't be as good as humans though is my guess.

Well... seeing that the game I backed during the initial kickstarter and the game as it stands now are completely fucking different beasts, I'm going to say Chris Roberts.

That aside, my point was that claiming that rail shooting, one of the most reviled fillers of FPS games of the past 10 years or more, is a huge selling point is pretty stupid.

And that point still stands.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
24. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 3, 2014, 00:58 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:20:
nimski wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:48:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:52:
it's not stop and play FPS for a while.

It's when you are boarding a ship to capture it, you and your friends will board the ship and have to kill the current owners of the ship and then take control of it. Killing them in FPS, inside the corridors of the ship etc.

Also, lets say you find an abandoned space station or whatever, you land your ship on it, get out walk around to explore, and another person has also landed on the other side and all of a sudden a FPS firefight breaks out as you run into each other both exploring the same station or planet etc. (or groups of players exploring together)

Ok.. that's cool and all, but what game are your friends playing when you decide to board the ship? They will be flying their own ships most likely. So everyone will need to stop and come do the boarding mini-game. I'm just trying to think of how this plays out in reality.

The friends could also be in your ship. example: The Constellation is a 4 crew ship so 3 of your friends could be flying around with you manning the turrets etc. and you guys decide to board another ship to take it.

Oh yay. I will point out that the turret/rail shooter portions of FPS games are usually the shittiest parts of the game.

Now you're telling me I get to spend unlimited hours of playing that? Where do I sign up?

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
27. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 17:18 Flatline

NegaDeath wrote on May 1, 2014, 15:16:
That's pretty ballsy of them. It's one thing to sue Oculus pre-buyout, but now there's an 800lbs gorilla with essentially unlimited funds backing them. Good luck with that.

Now there's a multi-billion dollar company to wring money out of.

If you're in the tech industry, and you've ever read your employment contract, you'd be amazed at what you give your employer. If Carmack wrote the great american novel in his off time at work ZeniMax probably would own the rights to it.

News Comments > Rogue Shooter Demo
4. Re: Rogue Shooter Demo Apr 27, 2014, 14:41 Flatline

I remember playing something exactly like this back in the day called randmap for sven coop in Half Life.

Of course, that had the benefit of being half life combat. Sadly I'll pass on this.

News Comments > Star Citizen "Coming Together"
24. Re: Star Citizen Apr 26, 2014, 19:19 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 16:21:
Developers don't usually show off content so early in development. I mean, we've seen the same thing happen to Microsoft when demoing upcoming versions of Windows - shit happens.

Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module? All we were supposedly waiting for was the netcode? But now it's so early in development it can't be judged from hands on?

I mean, WTF?

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 22:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:44:
InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:38:
Have you guys even read the article? Im going to be the devil's advocat on this one but he makes a lot of fair and reasonable points.

Well, I supposed being nickled and dimed to death for a free game is fair enough, but it's fucking annoying. I'd rather pay one time for a complete product. It's like buying a car. Sure you can pay for all manner of addons, but if you decline to at least you still have a complete functioning car at the end of the day.

And no attacks F2P if it's good. It's just so few of it is because it's really P2W. And that deserves to be criticized. If that douche doesn't like it he can take his ball and go home.

Every time I have to make a purchase I evaluate "do I really want/need this?" Purchase decisions are not conductive to me wanting to play a game. Encountering that decision every 20 minutes or less makes me want to play the game less, because it's just not fun any more psychologically.

Traditional games I pay once and just get to play and enjoy. F2P, when they aren't pay to win (as they so often are), presents me with the hesitation "Is the value worth... this much? How about this much? How about now? Or now? or now?" Not to mention the purchases, being piecemeal, don't give a psychologically satisfying buyer's rush for me, since I don't *really* have much to show for my 2-3 bucks.

I admit I'm not F2P's audience. I don't engage in the kind of impulse buying that F2P relies on. But I don't think that's some how me living in denial, it's that I'm literally wired differently.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week
1. Re: Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week Mar 27, 2014, 21:40 Flatline

At first I was like "Da Fuq?", then I remembered when this was announced, like a year before Shadowrun Returns launched. And was promptly forgotten about.

While I always wanted to see an SR MMO I'm wary about it. And the video linked has zero footage of the game, which always makes me kind of wary.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 14:47 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 14:35:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 14:18:
I enjoyed 4 for all the naval stuff and shanties it brought, but I'm really really tired of the on foot stuff. I don't think I can stomach climbing a viewpoint for the millionth time. Or a follow mission.

Agreed. It's just old at this point. I think the French Revolution is a great period of history for a game but at this point I'm pretty far into franchise fatigue. Without the naval combat to prop it up I doubt I would be interested in more of the same. I'd like to see some dramatic changes to several areas of the game. With 800 people working on these things you would think they could do more than the repetitive stuff we've been seeing.

While I don't mind the French Revolution, why not skip forward like 5 years and do the Napoleonic Wars? You already have the naval combat engine and that was a global conflict.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
14. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 17:29 Flatline

Fantaz wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 16:12:
and what's going on with their Cyberpunk 2077 game?

It won't be out until after Witcher 3. They're probably doing preproduction work on it.

Which sucks, because the delay just pushes Cyberpunk out that much farther. I predict a 2017 release for that game. *maybe* 2016.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 00:44 Flatline

I've been completely underwhelmed by this new generation of consoles. I'm leaning towards a PS4 *if*, and that's a big if, I pick up a new console.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 10, 2014, 23:43 Flatline

Future iterations of Star Citizen?

So... they're allocating funds for the sequel?

I think one of my main problems is that the game I originally kickstarted/funded is almost nowhere to be seen any more because it's had more stretch goals added than original features. If I could pull my money out at this point I probably would because I'm just not interested in the game that they're developing at this point.

News Comments > Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition
17. Re: Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition Mar 5, 2014, 21:29 Flatline

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:15:
It says right there it includes the "archival versions" of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic with modern OS compatibility. Hopefully modders can take apart the remastered versions unless Gearbox continues with their anti-mod track record as of late.

Overall it sounds a lot better than the joke that was Beamdog's Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" Edition.

Homeworld was notoriously hard to modify. HW2 was a little better but not by much.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:30 Flatline

Man that article on the printer reads like it's satire. I guess it's for real, although there's nothing backing it up, including the IEEE dude's own webpage.

Though reading what he has said, it's not out of the pale, the guy has his head in the sky about a lot of things.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2014, 20:05 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 19:36:
That's why I said you also have to disable location caching. And a square mile is pretty big.

Actually cell phone triangulation works down to about 100 yards or less depending on the density of the network you're in. In my home town it gets down to about 10 yards without GPS.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 28, 2014, 16:13 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:40:
How about we just nationalize the web as necessary utility - the way phone service used to be and still should be - instead? It cost these guys less than a nickel per GB of data transferred - and their level probably fractions of a cent. Their markup is outrageous. It's legalized extortion. If the mob were doing this they would have been nailed for racketeering long ago. Collusion, virtual monopolies/duopolies, etc. And they're still always, always, looking for another way to fuck someone in the ass. You see what happens, Donny?

The GOP would never let that happen and the Tea Party would probably light someone on fire if it was ever proposed in earnest.

Meanwhile South Korea did what you're suggesting and is pushing gigabit to everyone's homes for what we're paying 15mbps for.

No Profit Left Behind.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
28. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 16:09 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:57:
gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

Shhhh. No one was supposed to notice.

Hell of a million dollar stretch goal.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall Feb 28, 2014, 04:09 Flatline

Zoom wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 03:43:
I was talking about the original campaign. But in any case, the game engine is way too limited. For a real Shadowrun experience, i would have liked free roaming in the city (or a more "live" city, a la Nomad Soul), open-world style, more Johnson's and corporations (and free choice in which side to pick).. This is not completely crazy demands as it has been done before for example, in the aforementioned Fallout.
Disclaimer: i played the tabletop RPG before, hence my desire for a more open-world style. And of course i'm buying that expansion, but that's because i'm a Shadowrun fan.

Shadowrun Returns went over budget on the 2 million they raised. Originally they were going to have a lot more simple game: think Genesis/SNES level graphics with better art assets but the kickstarter was popular enough that they upped the quality in just about every manner.

If it's popular enough it'd be reasonable to think a sequel with an updated and more ambitious engine would be in order. And if not, there's always Cyberpunk 2077, which is supposed to be pretty much sandbox free roaming from what little I've heard (although that's probably 3 years out).

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun: Dragonfall Feb 28, 2014, 04:07 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 12:54:
I was somewhat interested, but not for 15 (20$)

The base game was very short and very shallow with barely anything to do or experience... gonna wait for reviews

It was worth the Kickstart. We got it for free. I've read that completion freaks were clocking in at 17 or 18 hours for this campaign though, which is good.

From what I've played of it, it's a higher quality campaign. The writing is far more... err... visceral. It's got a definite noir/pulp fiction zing and style to it. The art is better and the combat starts out more difficult. Dragonfall is probably the campaign that should have shipped. Dead Man's Switch is nowhere near the quality. It's almost more of an introduction to the engine in retrospect.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys
10. Re: Shadowrun: Dragonfall Beta Keys Feb 22, 2014, 23:15 Flatline

Sho wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 12:45:
Is the quicksave system in now? (Just curious; I enjoyed the original campaign even without it.)

Yup. And I believe they're retrofitting it into the original campaign too.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced
42. Re: Star Citizen Hits $39M; Procedural Generation Goal Announced Feb 22, 2014, 23:13 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Feb 22, 2014, 07:11:
This game is going to ruin crow sourcing. Its hilarious how an unfinished game with a star ship is getting the star wars geeks all wet and dripping. So based on some barely playable hack job that a indie could make in 5 months star geeks are throwing money down the toilet and tingles are running down their legs?

Its not Eve on line dudes. Its not Star wars Galaxies. This is an unfinished indie mod. I know its hard to fathom but you might not want to sell the house and buy the $10,000 support package just yet.

Typos aside this game *has* made me quit on crowdsourcing projects. Completely.

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo