Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2502 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 5, 2015, 19:47 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 18:19:
i dunno.. i kinda enjoy watching Apple morph into Dell in slow motion

in a logical future, where people have to know a basic amount of coding just to get around (like how people today need to have a basic amount of automobile piloting skills), the only thing rising to the top is Linux, especially with its ability to mutate into endless forms

however, a logical future is not necessarily what will happen

Bad comparison because drivers are moving away from stick and know less and less how to actually *fix* the guts of their car, which is what coding would be analogous to.

I have male friends who have no f*cking clue how to change a tire.

That's your iPhone generation right there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 23:25 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 23:11:
Fantaz wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 21:33:
koolout wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 20:15:
Executive Producer leaves

http://bit.ly/1JFTB5X

yikes! :S

as someone who was/is stupid enough to have kickstarted this...

I'm hoping Chris Roberts realizes soon that his massive vision of super everything game is completely retarded and he should just concentrate on making his squadron 42 single player game.

It'll never happen. The dude is like an addict. When was the last time you saw a junkie decide to go cold turkey with any grace?

Yes, he made Wing Commander. Yes he's responsible for Freelancer & Privateer. But I suspect he's one of those guys who really, *really* needs someone standing over him cracking the whip and giving him constraints to work within in order to produce on time and in an orderly fashion.

When he came up with his Chairman costume we should have known that his ego was in terminal overdrive.

Buried in the op ed is actually a great quote:

Stop buying virtual items for a goddamn game you donít have. What in the Holy phuck is the matter with you?!? You know how many indie games you couldíve bought, and supported, and been PLAYING by now?!?

And it's a great point. There's people out there dumping thousands of dollars on a pipe dream when indies with far better resumes from the last 10 years than Chris Roberts are starving and more deserving.

I mean, if SC crashes and burns and we barely get a shit S42 and maybe no SC at all, it won't just basically put 2 rounds into crowd funding games, it's going to have some serious blowback on the indie scene in general right as it really starts to get cooking.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
50. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 1, 2015, 15:53 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 08:33:
Their designer team is doing a pretty sweet job though, this ship looks like something out of a Star Wars movie.
I am not buying anything though just window shopping

Yeah that and the intro fiction sells the ship.

And from people who work in the TTRPG industry intro fiction is seriously cheap filler. Someone got paid probably 50-75 bucks to write the intro fiction that netted SC another cool half million.

Also, does anyone else notice the timing between announcing the FPS issues and the release of a "premium" high priced ship? It'd be interesting to go back in time and see if the higher priced ships match up to bad news. I wouldn't be surprised. "Oh Noes! Our game isn't going to get out on time! Sorry folks!" Next day: "Just saying if you want to drop 500 bucks on a ship that will help us fund the game and ensure things like the delay we mentioned yesterday won't happen again, you totes can!"

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays
72. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 30, 2015, 15:23 Flatline

Kosumo wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 17:24:
With allocation of additional resources and increased cross-studio focus on the FPS portion of the game we are on our way

What the fuck? I thought that they where having diffent studios work on the diffent parts of this mess? By increasing the 'cross-studio focus' does that not mean that those other studios are being taken away from their core roles? Where have the additional resources come from? Did they just have a cupboard with resources in it that just go and grab some more from? Star Marine is how taking away form the main game.

Sounds like they have no idea what they are doing. Loose plans, poor time esterments, no control on bloat, to much fund rasing/ship selling.

Still, if people wish to give the guy money, who am I to stop them.

Yeah. So not only are we going to have slowdown on the rest of the game, but Chris Roberts needs to fucking google Brooks' Law.

37. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 14:59 Flatline

KilrathiAce wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 13:58:
I guess next on agenda will be "survival module" because thats whats hot now. Have star citizen ship crash on any random planet and then enable fps module as u learn to survive on the planet!

LOL

Just wait until they decide to integrate MOBA- You're in space controlling a cap ship (Only $4,999!) and have three "attack vectors" you can choose to go down...

26. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 13:21 Flatline

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 13:11:
Flatline wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 11:15:
That's more or less what I did ever since I found out that my kickstarter ship is basically obsolete before it was even flyable in an alpha.

At this point, I'm only in it for Squadron 42.

And Squadron 42 is the only thing they haven't show off in any form since the original kickstarter video. No really guys it's coming this year!

Disclaimer: "This year" is in Valve time. Plus 6 months. Definitely before the heat death of the universe, but only if they don't remake the engine from scratch again. Buy some ships!

No kidding.

I'm pretty much expecting that they're going to make the FPS module at the very least core to Squadron 42, which is exactly what I didn't want. So I doubt we'll see S42 before the FPS module is finished. Because that'll make for some nice padding right there. "Fly your transport to the enemy ship and board and take her!"

Oh yay. Fly a straight line to a predetermined target, dock, and play 5 minutes of team deathmatch. Because that's what I want in a space sim game.

19. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 11:15 Flatline

Kajetan wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 10:46:
Rigs wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 10:32:
I still say that they should put the video camera away, take the community managers off the grandstanding and put them to work on the game itself. He isn't making an OS. He isn't building a console, it's a game, FFS! Stop acting like it's going to change the world, stop rebuilding the wheel and just get it done already...Just put a release out that we're not going to hear anything from you guys for 12 months, close the door, disappear and crunch until you've got something to talk about...
Or ... you could just ignore all SC news until they have their first commercial release?

That's more or less what I did ever since I found out that my kickstarter ship is basically obsolete before it was even flyable in an alpha.

At this point, I'm only in it for Squadron 42.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 28, 2015, 21:34 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 17:57:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 28, 2015, 17:39:
But.. why?

the short answer (because this is a long long discussion) is that some people derive their identity and personality from the things they like, the things they own, the things they pursue and so on.. and therefore they consider the "brand" as part of their own self.. like nationalism, like tribalism - its the same impulse, trying to borrow power by belonging to something bigger than yourself, essentially by sacrificing a part of yourself in the process - namely, the part that can think rationally

You pretty much summed it up rather well and avoided the need for a long discussion.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 28, 2015, 13:01 Flatline

I enjoyed Warframe way back a year or two ago enough to drop 20 bucks on it and played the hell out of it. Then I kind of hit a plateau and when I did a computer upgrade never reinstalled it. I did for giggles the other day and it looks like a metric assload of changes have been implemented. It's barely the same game I remember.  

News Comments > Her Story Released
6. Re: Her Story Released Jun 27, 2015, 13:33 Flatline

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 23:29:
It sounds interesting and a lot of people are praising it but based on a short video I watched today, all it seems to be is typing in key words to bring up different short videos, playing the videos, trying to figure out what happened and stopping when you're done. There's no actual end game or criminal proceeding to go through. You just watch videos and stop when you think you've got it. Though for $5, there definitely isn't much to lose to give it a shot.

It's well acted, one of the better nonlinear stories I've experienced, and the experience is fun. But yeah, it's basically Google: The Game.

If you approach it more as art than as a game, you'll be apt to enjoy it more. If you search the right keyword the story quickly ends up clarifying. But for 5 bucks I spent a few hours playing it and enjoyed my time a lot.

Also if you're British and was at least a teen in the 90's you probably will get a *lot* more out of it than anyone else will, since it's chock full of references and idioms and culture that is specific to the time and place. Sadly that means I miss out on a lot of the contextual fabric that would help reinforce the idea that you're watching 20 year old footage.

So good, not great. Solid acting from the actress makes the FMV work. Approach it as a meditation on voyeurism and nonlinearity and try not to get too hung up on Google: The Game.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2015, 16:27 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 20:24:
Meh, it's a shame these guys are done. They were doing interesting things.

That being said, I don't recall even hearing about Sunset until this story. And looking at it, it just doesn't appeal to me at all. Marketing failure, and commercial failure.

The premise actually has merit if pulled off properly. I have no idea if they did or not, but as a mystery/interactive fiction sort of thing it might have some real legs. I mean shit I'm playing Google: The Game right now (aka Her Story) and loving the hell out of it. Drifting through the private mind/world of a dictator in the middle of a civil war has legs as a concept. Not like... commercial AAA legs, but legs enough to make waves in the indie scene.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans
16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion Details; Patch Plans Jun 25, 2015, 16:23 Flatline

PoE... yeah that's right. I bought that. I played it for a few hours, got out of the first town, and... I think Witcher 3 came out at that point.

I'll get back to it eventually I guess.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 18:53 Flatline

descender wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 16:27:
Only real reason I (anyone?) still use Sprint is the unlimited data (which was recently speculated to be going away in the future so this could be the beginning of the end for that anyway).

Sprint's coverage map is kind of a moot point, you get 100% free voice + data roaming anyway... so anywhere other phones actually have data service you tend to as well.

All that aside, when I was living on LI the service was god awful, couldn't drive 15 minutes in the most populated and expensive suburb in America without losing data signal a few times. I looked into switching to Verizon last year when my contract was up and the extra coverage area just couldn't justify the huge increase in monthly charge over Sprint. I'd rather just not be a able to get data on my phone in certain areas than pay through the nose for it.

I also refuse to sign up for one of those cheapo ~$50-$60 plans Verizon/AT&T/Sprint have been pushing lately, where you "lease/rent" the phone instead of signing a 2 year contract... because I can do math. All of the new plan sales seem to be geared towards this payment plan bullshit, so it can't possibly be a good thing for the consumer.

Oh man I saw the lease thing. Yeah that's total bullshit. But the reason why they're pushing edge/next/jump/whatever is because they don't have to subsidize phones on those plans. It's just a zero percent interest loan. Doing that, and then giving a little discount on the overall service line, encourages more data consumption as the network capacity increases. It's plenty profitable it turns out to ditch the Gilette razor model and just charge a fortune for the razor and the blades, but whack the cost of the razor up into the cost of the blades.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Announced
26. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Announced Jun 15, 2015, 18:17 Flatline

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 17:35:
They need to return to what made this series great, the last one was mediocre at best.

I'd argue that the last half of ME3 was mediocre at best. Some of the sub-stories were excellent. Mordin's in particular.

In retrospect I get what the intent was. I don't know how they decided on the colored end-o-tron 4000 but the intent was to basically elevate Shepard into Nietzsche's ubermensch. Everyone keeps talking about how you commit readily to decisions that nobody else can even fathom and how alien it is to them and yadda yadda yadda. In a perfect world your decisions would have been wildly altering things throughout the trilogy until you got to the point where your final decision concerning the reapers isn't even on the morality scale of the rest of the cast.

I don't know *how* you'd do that in a video game and have it end up meaningful, if it's even possible. But the shit writing and the end-o-tron 4000 with the colored lights was basically like taking a shit on someone's chest and calling it a souffle.

Edit: I love me some Johnny Cash but that was a weird choice for music. I mean, we don't exactly listen to 16th century chamber music which would be the equivalent. Considering that the song is about purgatory or hell for unrepentant cowboys, my guess is that Shepherd is still alive and trapped in the crucible thing by the reaper thing and is in a Matrix-style purgatory.

Because why the f*ck not.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2015, 18:23.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2015, 15:56 Flatline

ldonyo wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 14:02:
Sprint is already #2, and I'm not talking about market positioning.

Ha!

If you're sticking to purely metro areas they have some great service deals. I was offered 40 a month for unlimited everything. But I travel enough that their coverage map sucked.

Same for T-Mobile. And even more to boot their service plans... well... suck now. Like six months ago they were still really competitive.

Strangely enough I ended up going with Verizon. I went to Costco and for the exact same amount I'm already paying (I have a corporate discount which helps), I was able to upgrade my call and data plan, I got a new phone on their edge plan (so if/when it's finally paid off I drop 25 bucks a month in cost), and I got 250 dollars in Costco cash cards coming back to me in a few months.

So basically I got paid with a cash card and a new phone to switch to verizon for a better plan.

I'm... okay with this.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
43. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 12, 2015, 16:56 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 12, 2015, 08:45:
Far cry 4 and AC:Unity can be had for $10 apiece at Frys, altho I think it's in-store only at this point. They're leftover vouchers from the Samsung hard drive bundles.

I have fc4, but after GTAV and now Witcher, fc4's world feels...bad. Not sure why. It looks alright, and there's always, ALWAYS something trying to kill me. I think it's the constant "go do this other thing!" That it does, literally every 45-60 seconds. "Here's a truck you should steal and drive back the way you came!" "Here's a hostage situation!" "Here's another hostage situation and a truck to hijack!"

I find it very...unfun. Even taking over a camp sucks this time, as they put a TON of guys inside buildings where you can't see them until you get in, then they come out like an angry anthill. Stealth takeovers are super difficult because of this. That's just me, though. My coworkers found it tons of fun.

FC4 has some great moments in it but the fucking eagles are idiotic, I've completely stopped caring about the story, and I'm so obscenely leveled up that the last half of the game is a cakewalk.

It's pretty, I'll give it that. And I dug the Shangri-la levels a lot, but it's missing a certain element that FC3 managed to nail. FC3 had some fantasy elements to it but at the end of the day it felt rooted in the real world. FC4 seems like a caricature of FC3 and suffers for it.

Back on topic, Homeworld HD is on sale for 13 bucks, which I picked up. If you don't have it yet it's worth it.

Also the two metro redux games are on sale for 9 bucks. Not a bad deal if you don't have them already (I had metro 2033 but that was it).

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 11, 2015, 11:27 Flatline

Axis wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 09:37:
How to fix gaming for women and minorities? How about Women get "Have a Baby" simulator, and minorities can have "Jump the Fence" sim?

Stupid shit deserves stupid shit. Gaming already appeals to everyone.

No it was useful for one thing. I'm going to avoid the fuck out of offworld.com

News Comments > Blood Bowl 2 in September
1. Re: Blood Bowl 2 in September Jun 11, 2015, 11:20 Flatline

And in January we'll have a stand alone blood bowl expansion, and in March we'll have the rollup from the first launch and the expansion, but this will be stand alone too, and three months after that we'll have the standalone "gold edition" which adds another team.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M
23. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Sells 4M Jun 9, 2015, 13:33 Flatline

saluk wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 13:06:
I would buy a physical Gwent in an instant. I'd prefer a non collectible or deck-building variant, as I don't really have the patience for ccg in real life these days. Balance wise some of the cards are a bit basic with very few special rules etc - I just don't see it working that way. But either way. I'm used to the mini-games in these rpgs being fun diversions, but gwent is actually good on its own.

Wildone wrote on Jun 9, 2015, 12:35:
wow complete and utter failure. feel sorry for the devs they will soon be out of jobs

Hahaha

A good compromise would be the living card games FFG produces. Which works because FFG already has the license for CDPR Witcher. They made the Witcher adventure game already.

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
15. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 11:13 Flatline

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 8, 2015, 10:41:
I like the idea of having refunds as a consumer but at the same time I just can't see how this is not going to be abused.

Games like Audio Surf, geometry wars, Beat Hazard, etc... are the indie type games that will get decimated by this policy. They are the type of impulse buy games that people will eventually think, "great game but I'll return it and wait for it to be $2.50" after an hour of playing.

The developers will then start building unnecessary 2 hour mandatory "tutorials", with long boring no bypass non interactive in game cut scenes to combat it.

IMHO the best way to combat it is to turn the refund to a penalty based approach. For each minute of play time you deduct 1% the game price from the refund, and at the end of 100 minutes you can't get one.

Eh. It'd be better if they just said that any game priced less than... I dunno 8.99 doesn't qualify for refund unless there are severe technical issues.

If you're charging 20 bucks for 90 minutes worth of content then yeah, roll the dice.

This antagonistic view towards your consumer base is what drove people to indies in the first place. Take a chance on your customers. Most people who go out of their way to hunt down indie games understand it's not a game studio so much as it's half a dozen people working on a project.

2502 Comments. 126 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo