Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1956 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
58. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 14:45 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:39:
Yeah I mean look how crappy the sales for Torchlight 2 were. And Skyrim totally cratered in the sales department too. Everyone just pirated that one or rented it...

The Witcher 2 was a flop. The Batman: Arkham games tanked hard. Xcom: Enemy Unknown will probably be a failure. Dues Ex:HR, The Fallout series, Bastion, Dragon Age: Origins. So much single player fail. How does the industry stand it?

From Blizzard's POV, Torchlight 2, Witcher 2, the batman games, and xcom *are* financial failures. Remember, they were bringing in more than 60 million a month for YEARS. And if WoW sales numbers are the new normal for Blizzard, single player games are a waste of time and money, even if they're financially successful. They just aren't successful *enough*.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
27. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 17:41 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:53:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:28:
The gameplay in that video looked totally pedestrian and a lot like... well... dumbed down call of duty.

And the new pictures look like they took the previously available artwork, compressed the hell out of it, and slapped it back up in all it's ugly glory.

Except with some kind of pausing and action points I didn't have time to watch but can't imagine is a great idea.

Which was done in some James Bond game or another, Brothers in Arms, and a bunch of other games. Situational awareness isn't terribly new.

But it's basically a pause menu to activate all the nifty squad powers you get. Your "action points" is just a mana bar.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
5. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 15:40 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:24:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:17:
In my 90 minutes or so I built... ZERO buildings. I didn't even collect half the resources to build *one* building.

Not to defend it (the game did have a lot of issues), but buildings actually dropped as loot.

O.o Um... okay yeah I didn't even know that could happen.

Yeah, there wasn't much of a tutorial in that game. I would find secret levels (they called them secret levels), beat them, and get... like... life points back and that's it. It was a mess.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
20. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

The gameplay in that video looked totally pedestrian and a lot like... well... dumbed down call of duty.

And the new pictures look like they took the previously available artwork, compressed the hell out of it, and slapped it back up in all it's ugly glory.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
3. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 15:17 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:08:
Dunno how it worked in beta, but there's still some building in release (or there was a month ago). It's more like, "Build a wind farm so you can go over here" .. "Build a farm so you can get more people" .. I never really used it much because it felt a bit tacked on. I like the concept though.

I played it for like 90 minutes when it came out and realized I had really no clue what I was doing, the procedurally generated maps all felt the same or were nigh on impassible, and I was making no real progress in the game (or I thought I wasn't- it wasn't clear because I wasn't sure if there was a goal to the game).

AVWW really ended up being the pin that popped my enthusiasm for indie games. I don't believe any f*cking hype about any indie game now, which is probably a good thing.

The game had a myriad of major, fundamental issues with it, paramount to all I believe is pacing. The game never felt like it was going anywhere. I remember the buildings part of the game. I thought "oh okay I have to gather resources to build stuff for the city to progress through the game". In my 90 minutes or so I built... ZERO buildings. I didn't even collect half the resources to build *one* building.

News Comments > Nyrthos Trailer; Alpha Details
1. Re: Nyrthos Trailer; Alpha DetailsNyrthos Trailer; Alpha Details Sep 30, 2012, 17:40 Flatline

Oh goodie! Half of the f*cking gameplay time is spent huddled waiting for day to come.

Sounds like fun and like you totally didn't rip off Minecraft.

News Comments >
3. Re: Nyrthos Trailer; Alpha Details Sep 30, 2012, 17:39 Flatline

Nyrthos is one of those terribad "fantasy" names that we come up with when we're roped into a game of D&D we know is going to be ass.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Dishonored
20. Re: Gone Gold - Dishonored Sep 29, 2012, 18:48 Flatline

Ray Marden wrote on Sep 29, 2012, 15:47:
Otherwise...what else is there to play? Pandas? Another MoH military shooter? Another CoD military shooter? Another pointless AC release? The Doom retread? That crappy Nintendo system tablet?

Hmm... On my plate, I have:

Guild Wars 2
Borderlands 2
XCOM
FTL
I picked up Alice: Madness Returns for 5 bucks and haven't even launched it
FTL
The 3rd episode of The Walking Dead
Torchlight 2
Mechwarrior Online

I think I'll be fine for a while. I may even buy Assassin's Creed 3, since it looks to have the closest thing to an age of sail ship battle simulator that I'll see in some time, and I've been jonsing for some age of sail action for years.

News Comments > No Federal 38 Studios Charges
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2012, 03:23 Flatline

Let this be a lesson: If you're going to commit fraud or scam the government out of money, go big or go home. Once you hit a certain level of crime, the odds of you actually ever doing jail time go down significantly.

Rob 10k from a bank? They'll put you on the FBI's most wanted list.

Rob 10 billion from the economy and crash the EU's economy? You get a bonus.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Sep 28, 2012, 11:10 Flatline

Obvious article is fucking obvious.

Bitmob.com exclusive! WATER IS WET!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 28, 2012, 10:36 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 14:09:
avianflu wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 13:50:
Halo -- the most incoherent plot of a game franchise from a major publisher. Dead Space is close though.

Anything from Capcom is worse. Seriously, Dead Rising?
I'd argue that Call of Duty is worse, too.

But I don't really remember what Halo's was. I just remember having a loose idea. Still better than some.
Storytelling is really lacking.

War with aliens. We run away, jump randomly to Halo. Fight on Halo, find the second most annoying video game character ever (Claptrap is probably #1), fight boring redundant flood, find out that Halo will destroy large portion of galaxy if fired, backtrack through every level of the game, blow up ship engines to destroy halo without blowing it up. Escape.

Halo 2:

Some weird shit with the aliens having a protaganist, a flood hive mind, blah blah blah. Ends on a stupid cliffhanger with Master Chief coming back to Earth.

Halo 3:
Master Chief kicks ass on a small scale, aliens unearth older alien machine, jump out of galaxy, MC follows. Kicks more ass, finds Halo construction machine, detonates new Halo to kill gravemind (?) and evil aliens. Gets stranded in space, assumed KIA.

Halo ODST:
The cast of Firefly lands in a city, has wacky adventures, finds alien who wants to defect to humans and is never seen again.

Halo Reach:
Fuck. I'm dead.

I think I covered it all.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: NBA LIVE 13 Cancelled. Sep 28, 2012, 10:24 Flatline

PropheT wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 02:16:
I loved the first two RE games, but they didn't age well in the graphics or the gameplay department. They didn't even play that well back then, but they were different.

It's not that the horror died out, that really didn't change all that much even into RE5...but by then, everybody'd seen it all, a lot of fans of the early ones didn't remember that the originals were as cheeseball as RE5 is, and people seem to ignore that the entire iosmetric tank-like gameplay design of games like RE1-3, Eternal Darkness, and a few others died off completely when better systems were developed. The games changed because gaming changed.

Maybe a re-release will remind people of that, which I don't think is what the article meant by "is just what the RE series needs", but it still works.

Oh man I need more coffee. I thought for some reason that they were re-releasing Silent Hill 2. I had this whole long diatribe ready and then I realized it was RE2. Which I don't give a sh*t about.

News Comments > Might & Magic Heroes VI: Danse Macabre Released
2. Re: Might & Magic Heroes VI: Danse Macabre Released Sep 28, 2012, 10:12 Flatline

There's something wrong with a turn-based strategy game that only lasts for 10 hours.  

News Comments > Korean Valve Bid?
31. Re: Korean Valve Bid? Sep 27, 2012, 19:36 Flatline

Hellbinder wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 17:04:
Its completely obvious why this probably is TRUE.

Valve is thinking of getting into the console business. Merging with a company like Nexon would open the floodgates to the asian markets and give them a huge in on Korean/Chinese style games and content.

It is possible a move like this would catapult them past Sony/Microsoft in the console/game market by bypassing japan completely.

Dude where do you get that quality ganja? I need to smoke whatever you're smoking.

News Comments > Battle.net Adding "Appear Offline" Mode
19. Re: Battle.net Adding Sep 20, 2012, 15:21 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 14:47:
Sigh, fucking Actiblizz. Just keeps getting worse and worse.

I halfway expect the next Blizzard release to not have any way to quit it other than a hard power-cycle of the computer. They'll call it the new and exciting "always on" plan, so that you don't even have to log into the game or launch it. It's just always running, waiting for you.

Then, six months later, they'll introduce an exciting new update that let's you *quit* the program and return to the desktop.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 20, 2012, 15:13 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 13:12:
I don't think it is more difficult to use or troubleshoot given how familiar with the command line I am. Windows is no better in this regard, often hiding things between configuration files in different directories and adding the complexity of the registry hive.

Macs and PCs are largely the same as they've always been - a GUI that works for Most People while obfuscating functionality that adds complexity. The trouble occurs when people need that complexity and that's where the interface, application design and the operating system all clash. Same story everywhere.

My big problem for a lot of the mac software I support is that I think Apple drinks it's own kool-ade when it comes to the idea that they "just work".

Namely, they hate error messages, instructions, diagnostic logs, etc etc... it's especially bad on the iDevices. Shit stops working entirely, and unless you've jailbroken your phone, you can't even access anything. Shit just stops happening on your phone, but the device keeps pretending like all is well.

I mean, yeah, the blue screen of death reads like klingon and the Matrix had an illegitimate love child, but I can google BSOD 0x003B and find out on the first link that I have a bad driver somewhere (Holy shit I got that from memory!). Macs on the other hand would just blank out and stop responding. Entirely. Or give me the bomb, or the frowny mac face. Which is REALLY useful.

The funny thing is that the article herein where the dude bitches about calendars, address books, issues, and sync problems has a simple solution: Jump to Exchange. It's expensive, it's a pain in the ass to configure initially, but once it's up and running, it runs like glass. We're on exchange 07 right now and it supports every tablet, phone, and computer I throw at it with almost zero config issues (biggest issue so far: iOS introduced a "feature" where they auto-change all your appointments when you change time zones. And didn't alert anyone to this change. Which caused all kinds of hell for one of the owners who missed flights and meetings because of Apple douche-baggery). Activesync works wonderfully across multiple platforms, I can push exchange services over HTTPS, and the only issue I've really seen with that is that I have to point mac outlook to a specific file on the server to use exchange over HTTPS instead of just pointing to the server.

I imagine there are other solutions other than exchange, but I haven't had an issue with the platform for years. Starting with 07 they really pushed out a powerful and rather classy piece of software.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2012, 13:03 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 20, 2012, 12:37:
Reread the news again

I read it like 8 times and it was kind of foggy.

It looked like Publisher was telling Dev to start a kickstarter using Dev's name, gather the money up, make a game, then in exchange for publishing/advertising, Publisher gets to keep the IP and pays royalties to the dev.

Which sounds about as appealing as a shit sandwich.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
38. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 17:17 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 16:33:
Ok folks I have 2 good laughs for ya. Don't really spoil anything.

Claptrap's Secret Stash requirements:
Claptrap's Secret Stash requirements:

And
Naughty Blue Screen of Death

As I said... the humor is better. The claptrap stash quest is AWESOME. And "Butt Stallion" is pretty... odd?

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
31. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 15:04 Flatline

The humor is better in BL2.

The quote when you get your first gun...

"This is your first gun. It's not very spectacular, but later on when you have rifles that shoot lightning you'll look back on this moment and think 'heh'"

Or something like that. I've had at least 4 or 5 good LOL moments so far.

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
48. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 15:51 Flatline

I stand corrected! I had gone by Bioware saying they outsold DA:O 2-to-1 or something like that. Silly me for trusting devs  

1956 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo