Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1864 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo Creator on Diablo III
25. Re: Diablo Creator on Diablo III Aug 20, 2012, 02:53 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 20:03:
Man, so you're blaming Roper when he was just one of the "originators" (all of whom come from Blizzard North) yet not the Lead Designer or the Game Visionary.

You guys need to stop associating "public face" with "guy making every single decision." Roper likely did make all the business decisions, but that's not what doomed the game. What doomed the game is that it wasn't fun. Blame the Lead Designer and the "Visionary" for that.

Yeah... I had an interesting conversation with Roper about Hellgate (If you move in the right, rather arcane, circles it's hard not to bump into him). I won't go into it because it was a private conversation, but it was highly illuminating.

However, for people who hate his guts, I do have a picture of him dressed up like a whore though for your amusement.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm275/theflatline42/PoxyWhore.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Cut New Vegas Content
16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2012, 02:40 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:23:
Well, in another post that questions my status as a lifetime carrier of the 'Hardcore Gaming Club' card, I have to ask, what made New Vegas better than the original Fallout3? Personally, I found the original to be...err, a little boring. At least in the beginning. And the fact that everything is a greenish gray/brown...*shudder*...what does NV bring to the table?

Also, right around when you think the game is hitting it's cresendo in the main story (hitting new vegas proper, confronting Benny, etc...), it explodes open and gives you 3 or 4 very different factions to work with.

News Comments > Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches
53. Re: Ubisoft Uplay PC Launches Aug 17, 2012, 17:18 Flatline

I will say that the fragmenting of games down to having to have these dedicated fucking services that always want to be on and use up resources is starting to piss me off. Steam (Yeah I'll throw that in there), GFWL, EA Origin, and now UBI. It's getting fucking insane. Especially when you have to bind the game to individual gaming profiles like GFWL and UBI.

Sick of it. Makes me not want to play computer games and go back to my board games.

News Comments > OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways
13. Re: OnLive Layoff Rumors; Indie Weekend Giveaways Aug 17, 2012, 17:04 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:14:
Interesting. Guess they ran out of capital.

They did a lot right, including all the partnerships they got (putting them on TVs was somewhat brilliant.)

Which means the failure was either:
1) Timing (too soon for the idea)
2) Idea (just not a good idea)
3) Operations (business not run by right people)

I don't see anyone else jumping into this right away, given how successful the bizdev was for these guys.

While the business might not be gone, it's late for the sky because it's targeting people who have massive pipelines but crappy computers and an aversion to consoles... who the fuck in the USA qualifies for that?

Launching in NA was a mistake, pure and simple. When it comes to bandwidth availability, we're the backwater yokels of the industrialized world. We don't improve service, we figure out new ways to bill for old service. So the 30mbit downstream or whatever was required to run the service without serious lag & compression problems limits your market to a small, already dedicated gaming group.

If the service is feasible anywhere, I'd have launched in South Korea. You know, where the government intends to have gigabit to the household as a standard service in a few years?

Launching where you don't have a large enough market with access to required infrastructure is insane.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind Art Upgrade Coming
5. Re: A Valley Without Wind Art Upgrade Coming Aug 17, 2012, 16:41 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 09:38:
After 6 hours of playing, I still have no idea what I'm doing in this game.

Amen. When is the fucking gameplay update scheduled that tightens things up and makes it an actual game?

I bought this back when I still had a modicum of faith in the indy scene and I bought into the hype.

What a waste. No sense of actual exploring, and pacing is a laugh- which are the two things that metroidvania games actually *need* in spades to keep you playing.

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
31. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 17:33 Flatline

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 17:18:
I don't care if you listen to "The Glenn Beck" (as everyone who listens to him seems to refer to him), just... keep it out of the goddamn video game business. And if you don't, don't be surprised when people avoid doing business with you.

Agreed. Brad's problem was that he never realized the value of staying completely apolitical from a business standpoint (At the time I occasionally listened to Beck myself, but I soon realized he was a self-marketing melodramatic fear mongerer). Best to just STFU and see to running your business as best as you can.

Exactly. I'm amazed at the unprofessional behavior when it comes to politics and religion in business. The appropriate response is to smile and STFU.

News Comments > Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M
27. Re: Stardock Sues Ex-Employee for $1M Aug 16, 2012, 17:08 Flatline

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 13:16:
It kills me that things turned out the way they did for Stardock. Back when Galactic Civilizations first shipped I absolutely loved it. The company was mod friendly to the nth degree, they were indie and also supported other indies, and just seemed to want to do right by the customer always. Sins of a Solar Empirecame out, was awesome, Impulse launched with no DRM (unlike Steam), and for a time it seemed Stardock could do no wrong. Despite his penchant to say to much, I even loved Brad's passion. Along the way though the wheels just fell off the wagon. Suddenly Stardock couldn't release a working game, Brad's constantly running mouth became a huge liability, and it seemed controversy followed them everywhere. They were laying off employees and shafting customers left and right. The shit icing on the turd cake was selling off their digital service to one of the worst companies in gaming. It's sad if you stop and think about it. The company that was poised to become the modern day champion of PC gaming ended up another sad footnote in the PC's sordid 21st century history. It really couldn't have gone any worse for Stardock. They had so much promise too.

I bailed on Stardock when he decided to make backing Glenn Beck part of his video game company's MO. Then after the horrible backlash, he basically said "guys, that wasn't meant to be public, so ignore what I said, even though I'm still gonna do it."

I don't care if you listen to "The Glenn Beck" (as everyone who listens to him seems to refer to him), just... keep it out of the goddamn video game business. And if you don't, don't be surprised when people avoid doing business with you.

I have no sympathy for Stardock any more. They're asshats that managed two good games and an epic assload of hyperbole.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 15:22 Flatline

Having to specifically state you feel a responsibility towards your investors (which is what KS is), sends fucking red flags and flares off all over the place.

Imagine if other industries behaved this way. Imagine being in an airplane and the captain saying:

"Woah! Our projection was for only 20% capacity and we are 100% full this flight. We feel a responsibility now to put you on the ground safely with as few casualties as possible."

News Comments > Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle
2. Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Aug 12, 2012, 19:19 Flatline

Sol: Exodus looks good, and I'm willing to pull the trigger on it alone, but only 8 missions is... painful. I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll be over in less than 4 hours.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 12, 2012, 18:51 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:55:
Based on your recommendations, I am buying Legends of Pegasus! j/k

How many times are they going to be able to sell Counter Strike, that is the real question. Also, bonus points if you remember when CS was a free mod.

Orcs Must Die 2 is the best title on this list, by the way.

Not only did I remember CS back in the day when it was free, but I remember the beta 1 bug that would occasionally kick up where you left a green hitscan line whenever you fired. Two people would get into a firefight and run away, and you'd turn the corner and see 100 bullet trajectories floating mysteriously in the air.

Good times.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 16:06 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 12:00:
Sony finally makes an awesome handheld, in terms of the hardware, and they can't give it away. I mean, it is the best gaming solution for people who want to game on the move in nearly every technical way but because everyone already owns a tablet or a smartphone they don't want to carry another device.

You need to stop right here. Smartphones & tablets have rendered high-end portables obsolete.

A strong software library would help, but the Vita was DOA because the market has changed.

People's playing habits aren't conductive to spending 40 bucks on a portable game that they'll play for 5 minutes twice a week while in line for lunch.

Let's put it this way. I already have an iPhone. I have two options for portable gaming. Buy Angry Birds for 99 cents (or something else for 2-3 bucks), or spend 250-300 dollars on a vita and *one* game.

There's absolutely no contest. Crappy software libraries are the nail in the coffin.

What's weird is that this is the *exact* same thing that happened with the PSP. I bought one cheap years ago, bought like 8 games, and of those, I played... pinball. Like 99% of the gametime on that stupid handheld was pinball.

I'm more and more convinced Sony has no idea what it's doing anymore.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3 DLC Aug 10, 2012, 15:35 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 23:15:
But why would anyone want to play this broken ass MP in MP3 ... I have no clue.. it's filled with hackers and obvious ones at that. 0 Moderation, 0 Cheat protection, and 0 fun. Completely imbalanced, terrible spawn system (puts even BF3 Close Quarters with 64 players to shame!)

Oh man... I tried it once, started to have fun, and then some hacker or someone with horrid connection got online and started warping all over the map. They'd shoot-dodge, hit the ground, and I'd unload on them, then they'd warp back into mid-air and kill me.

I'll pass.

News Comments > Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled
10. Re: Star Trek: Infinite Space Cancelled Aug 8, 2012, 17:44 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 16:03:
I wouldn't mind a game like SPAZ (Space Pirates and Zombies) with a Trek coat of paint on it.

SPAZ started off strong and went downhill fast. I got bored as fuck having to travel like 8 sectors to get to the next portion of the storyline, which requires grinding for like 3 hours.

News Comments > Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed?
20. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 20:02 Flatline

deqer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:19:
Wouldn't a reboot be a reboot of the original side-scroller style game?

Ever since Prince of Persia went 3D with that abomination release "Prince of Persia 3D", the franchise has not been the same since.

Sure, Sands of Time may have been a good game, but that's not the real Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is just another game with the name "Prince of Persia" in it.

If they want to reboot Prince of Persia, they should be rebooting the original, in 3D while maintaining the same perspective view as the original--which is side view--side scroller; not first-person view.

Fail.

Which they already did years ago. I have it on XBLA.

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
5. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 6, 2012, 17:47 Flatline

And barely a single fuck was given collectively.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
45. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 4, 2012, 02:36 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 13:44:
It can never be true 3D when you have a flat screen. For true 3D you need dynamic focus depth. Ie, your eyes can focus on any part of the scene and it seamlessly shifts the focus to there. As long as this does not happen there is no real 3D.

Even if both eyes get different perspective and thus pseudo 3D, you can not focus on any part of the scene - the focus would be infinite (like it is now on a normal screen) and thus, not real 3D.

Exactly. And when I try to focus on something that is out of focus, or when my eyes experience infinite focus, that's when the headaches start.

It looks awesome, but half the population can't use it until there's some kind of eye tracking.

Edit:

On the flip side, hook one of these up to a high resolution camera, filtered through your ipad/smartphone/tablet, and pumped back into your goggles, and we're one step closer to gargoyles from Snow Crash.

I know people who would give organs or major limbs at this point to walk around in permanent augmented reality.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 18:05 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 16:14:
Funny thing happened recently for me.

I bought max payne 3 for $40. When it came out at $60 I thought that was a rip off. When it hit $40 it was ok.

I bought diablo 3 at launch more out of morbid curiosity than anything else and feel like that was a bad purchase. (Paid $0, all trade in credit)

I recently purchased Borderlands 2 PC via green man gaming. I'd decided to pass on the game recently and pulled my pre-orders. The game looked interesting but not for $60. But $40? Ok. I'm even willing to cut you some slack if I end up not liking it.

But $60? You better deliver something that knocks my sock. Most companies don't and I think that is where the problem is.

$60 is no longer a realistic price to expect for games. Some companies, the so called self made brands:

Tim Schafer, Notch, Cliff Bleszinski, and Gabe Newell can afford to be frank because they either own their companies or are brands in and off themselves, functionally unfirable.

Those guys are successful because the games they make have continually met expectations of gamers. (not sure how Bleszinski is in there...) If you make games that meet expectations gamers will be happy with you. If you don't and you expect everyone to pay the same price as if you did then people will (and do) feel ripped off.

Lower prices. $40 should be the norm. $50-$60 for the biggest games. Don't and you're only signing your own pink slip. Enjoy!

Considering that the price of making games just keeps going up and up and up, this is a goddamn pipe dream. Not to mention it'll slit the indie scene's throat pretty much entirely. They're finally creeping up to 30 dollar price points with some indie games, and dropping A and AA titles down to 40 bucks is going to force indies back down to the 15 dollar point to be competitive.

There's two sides to a capitalist transaction. Yes, companies want to maximize profits, and consumers want the cheapest price possible, but at a certain level, companies need to at least break even. I'm not sure the extra sales at a 40-dollar price point justify a 25% price cut.

Hell, I'll say it here. By the end of the next generation of consoles, you'll see 70 bucks MSRP on AAA titles. And games like CoD will be at the forefront of this shearing.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced
9. Re: Mass Effect 3 Leviathan and Firefight Announced Aug 3, 2012, 13:01 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 12:20:
My big hangup on this is, what's the actual purpose of it? It won't make a shit's worth of difference in the game whether you played Leviathan or not. It'll probably add 150 points to your War Assets score...

Exactly. Why bother when you're just going to get tea-bagged a few hours later.

SP DLC for this game seems... pointless. Because our choices don't matter in the end. Even the extended endings are virtually identical. It stopped being "our story" and became "a message from BioWare".

Any campaign content needs to be self-contained stories within the ME universe at this point. I could get on board with that. But trying to continue a story that's done is an exercise in futility, especially when the ending is so set in stone.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 00:57 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:20:
I saw the PPC in the text and wondered why Bethesda were such noobs when LRMs and Gauss Rifles are so much cooler.

WIN

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: NBC's coverage Aug 1, 2012, 14:53 Flatline

Stolen shamelessly from my friend's facebook status:

Me: "Man, the Olympics coverage couldn't get any worse."
NBC: "And now joining us down at the pool is Ryan Seacrest!"
Me: "FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU"

1864 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo