Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1864 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Natural Selection 2 Exosuit Reveal; Beta Access Ending
3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Exosuit Reveal; Beta Access Ending Aug 28, 2012, 13:22 Flatline

Jesus this is still in development?

I played Natural Selection 1 as a Half-life mod like... 8 years ago. And they had just announced NS2.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Molyneux's Curiosity Renamed
8. Re: Molyneux's Curiosity Renamed Aug 26, 2012, 16:53 Flatline

You must have been dreaming. Warren Spector has been a joke for 10 years.  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
17. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Aug 25, 2012, 23:30 Flatline

killer_roach wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:53:
Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 17:13:
Anyone paying close enough attention to know if Apple's patent suit is anywhere close to having merit? Or is it just normal stupid patent law that would have been thrown out before the trial started if common sense prevailed?

From what I know of patent law, most (if not all) of the patents at the core of the lawsuit should have been invalidated on the basis of prior art (then again, Judge Koh did all she could to bar evidence of this from the trial), obviousness, or triviality.

However, there's a reason why Apple filed the case where they did - Lucy Koh has a long-standing track record of delivering pro-Apple verdicts in lawsuits. I just hope Samsung, on appeal, requests the case be heard before Richard Posner in Chicago, who is likely to throw the case out and invalidate the patents in question.

As it currently stands, so long as the patents are upheld as valid, pretty much no company can make a smartphone or tablet without getting explicit permission from Apple. Scary stuff.

And with Google buying Motorola patents, they just opened up with a whole metric assload of lawsuits against Apple for patent asshattery, including charging on average twice the industry standard for patent access, and demanding to spend less than half when licensing patents, and then just going it alone.

Google's lawsuits could shut down Apple too. Leaving the industry in a weird no-man's land where nobody can produce smartphones or tablets without permission from Apple, and Google not allowing Apple to make iphones & tablets.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 25, 2012, 14:40 Flatline

Jonjonz wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 09:55:
As of 6:30 am CDT Saturday, the game crashed, been offline now for 2 hours plus change.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2

I did manage to log in last night at 11:15pm CDT Friday and get my character name and server, got back on this morning at around 5:30am CDT and played until the crash. Oh well, have to be satisfied with the mesmerizing log in screen now.

I cracked out for 4+ hours last night before the crash. Good times.

News Comments > I Am Alive PC Edition Lives
29. Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 24, 2012, 18:26 Flatline

Nighthawk wrote on Aug 24, 2012, 05:52:
It's a shame, I saw this at gamestop and it had my interest, for $15 I would have probably picked it up, but with the comments that most of us are pirates, I think I'll let my wallet do the speaking for me.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

I'm torn. I really, REALLY want to play Assassin's Creed 3, especially now that there's ship battles (I've been waiting for an age of sail sim for eons now) that look fucking awesome.

However, Ubisoft assumes I'm a thief. I'm having troubles justifying purchases with people who assume that I'm a thief.

18. Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 24, 2012, 03:15 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 22:19:
Actually I was thinking the opposite.. 15$ for a AAA game? Or did I misjudge this game so drastically? It looked like a real AAA exploration / action-platformer kind of thing. Or is it like.. only 4 hours long?

I didn't realize XBLA games qualify as AAA titles these days.

4. Re: I Am Alive PC Edition Lives Aug 23, 2012, 21:18 Flatline

Releasing against Boarderlands 2 & GW2?

It's almost like they *want* to be shot down.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Disorganized Crime Next Week
3. Re: Max Payne 3 Disorganized Crime Next Week Aug 22, 2012, 01:56 Flatline

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 23:42:
Battling in his apartment? So we're talking seriously close-quarter combat. Dive behind the couch, use the fridge door as a shield, that sort of thing?

More like running down corridors, through apartments that are burned out with walls blown out, and on rooftops.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
13. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Aug 21, 2012, 14:15 Flatline

The last one/two/whatever blew donkey balls. I'll save my money this time around.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
89. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 21, 2012, 14:06 Flatline

Verno wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 08:50:
Poor Borderlands, this thread

Boarderlands has no need for our pity. It's a stone-cold mofo.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmUJrKGN3C0

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Aug 21, 2012, 14:01 Flatline

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 21, 2012, 13:54:
It's a 15.00 game, it isn't being "shoved down your throat", and it's actually very polished and good.

Try speaking for yourself.

In a way it is. It segments the CS population, until basically everyone migrates over. It's just being friendly about it.

And I'm also convinced that Valve intends to release every other game in existence before it approaches Half Life episode 3 or HL3 at this point.

I strongly suspect we'll see a portal 3 before we see HL3.

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 21, 2012, 02:27 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 22:41:
PST was great in spite of the license, not because of it. There's really no reason why a spiritual successor couldn't be superior in every way. Why limit yourself to a D&D setting and rule set when you can create something genuinely new and unique?

Planescape was one of the most unique fantasy settings to come along in a long time. Torment succeeded because it had an amazing story that was shaped through your conversations. The Planescape setting was garnish, but tasty garnish.

However, in reference to all of the old D&D settings that lie by the wayside these days, they 1. weren't particularly popular over the years and 2. were not mega-genre settings, like fucking eberron and forgotten realms. Even Dragonlance got fucked in 4th because it wasn't monster manual friendly like Eberron, which was specifically designed to use all D&D material (which is why it won the stupid "make a campaign setting" contest all those years ago).

87. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 21, 2012, 01:42 Flatline

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:07:
DarkCntry wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:21:
NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

Then do explain how civilization has survived all of these years with the advent of books...after-all, the most violent one was contains content from around 3500 years ago.

Can you honestly suggest that 'books' have the same impact (and widespread usage among youth) as gaming?

Is there no difference in your mind?

False comparison IMO.

I have two words for you of atrocities committed in the name of a book that dwarf any violence, brainwashing, or hypocracy that 30 years of video games have induced:

The Crusades.

You know, where entire generations of young people went off to murder in the name of the Pope?

Or how about

The Inquisition

You know, where they'd stick a rod up your ass and expand it until it ripped you open on the inside to get you to confess that you don't believe in the Holy Bible? And that doing this was a good and pure thing to do?

I mean hell, some fucktard killed John Lennon because he said Catcher in the Rye told him to do it.

Charlie Manson had his cult/gang/"family" murder people to instigate a race war he was clued into by a Beatles song.

Karl Marx wrote his little communist manifesto and it led to the Russian and Chinese revolutions, wherein *millions* of people were murdered in the name of political ideology.

And I apologize for the Godwin, but some little book called Mein Kampf talked about the Jews and a "solution" to the problems that they entail. The author was kind of popular and convinced an entire country to go along with his ideas.

Let me know when video games are responsible for a fucking holocaust dude. Until then your assertion is terribad and you should feel bad for having it. You come off with delusions of relevancy and smug superiority when you obviously know shit about shit. You have no proof, no citation, just this certainty that you are superior to the people around you because you "see" while they are "blind".

And pull up your pants.

86. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 21, 2012, 01:26 Flatline

NicklePop wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 17:36:
Hellbinder wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 16:24:
After watching the hunger games last night... reading game description after game description like this one... its just depressing

People do nothing anymore but sit around and fill their heads and feed their emotions with as much pointless violence, bloodshed and mistreatment of others as they can fit into a 24 hour period. Oh lets not forget sex, sex, sex..

None of this can lead to anything good for the human race.

Are we related?

LOL

Society is fubar; the minds of men are filled with emptiness. I agree completely.

As opposed to some point in human history where we weren't obsessed with violence, fucking, and emptiness?

Name an era that was substantially "better" than today in those regards, and I'll show you that you know fuck-all about human history.

Nostalgia for some "mystical" era of prosperity, dignity, and peace and the disregarding of current world is actually a known psychological quirk of humans. It's been going on for literally thousands of years. I'm sure some ape a couple hundred thousand years ago was looking at his significantly less hairy progeny and thinking "well, we're fucked and the world is doomed now!"

And yet somehow we've muddled on for the last 3-4000 years or so.

News Comments > Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed
42. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 21, 2012, 01:18 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 19:42:
Did I miss something? People whined that they couldn't level to 99, you are now leveling to 60, then can level to basically 99 via paragon levels. Isn't that pretty much what people were asking for...

It's a lazy solution. Basically it's a static, set ladder of stat buffs that still in the end probably do nothing for you compared to level-appropriate equipment.

It's just another progress bar that goes up exponentially slower than your already maxed out progress bar went.

41. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 21, 2012, 01:16 Flatline

Jdrez wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 17:53:
Why do all you entitled little s**ts think you're owed an end game? It's a single player game, the END GAME is when the game freaking ends after you kill Diablo.

Quit whining and move on with your life, or go play WoW if you expected D3 to be a sequel to that.

christ

Endgame?

I'm still waiting for a real fucking game. After 1.5 playthroughs it just barely started getting challenging, but in a cheap, uninteresting way.

10. Re: Diablo III 1.04 New Paragon Endgame Detailed Aug 20, 2012, 16:27 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:03:
So the new endgame is... grind 100 more levels?

Creston

Holy crap. They just raised the level cap by 100???

*boggle*palmface*

Yeah, Blizzard, the shark has been jumped. Nice knowing you.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: Replay: Deus Ex Aug 20, 2012, 16:23 Flatline

Raptor wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 06:47:
Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 01:26:
Bet wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 20:16:
That Warren Spector commentary is...insightful. Deus Ex apparently was a fluke. A genius fluke, but wow, we're lucky that we got the game like we did.

I used to say "This is why it's been so hard to succesfully make another Deus Ex", but the guys in Montreal proved that it actually CAN be done.

No they didn't.
They proved what a Deus Ex game will be if you try to copy a formula that worked because there weren't rules.
Dx3 tried to simplify too much by making the game more "user friendly"
So what you had was a great shell with a lot of stuff made into quick time action prompts which removed a lot of the emergent gameplay that made Dx special.

It was just too clean, too simplified and a bit yellow.

Wait what?

I remember more or less *no* QTEs. If you mean the takedowns and shit, I don't see how a quick cut scene destroys "emergent" gameplay.

And most of the "emergent" gameplay in the original DX was AI bugs that were either annoying or hilarious.

News Comments > Diablo Creator on Diablo III
39. Re: Diablo Creator on Diablo III Aug 20, 2012, 15:27 Flatline

You know, everyone rags on Hellgate: London but...

I played it longer than I played Diablo 3. It was a mess to be sure, but I got marginally more gameplay out of it than D3.

Hell, I got more gameplay out of the ATROCIOUS Too Human than I got out of Diablo 3.

News Comments > Diablo Creator on Diablo III
30. Re: Diablo Creator on Diablo III Aug 20, 2012, 04:44 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 04:38:
durandal wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 03:59:
...and here's the responses from Diablo 3 devs to David.
http://imgur.com/wfySr

"Fuck that loser" comment is from the Game Director. Shocked

Oh and Senior Technical Artist Harrington would like to *LIKE* that comment more than once...

I cant read the interview as incgamers is down at the moment but that comment from Jay is uncalled for, its also very honest as it shows how arrogant that asshat really is and how greatly he cares about the legacy of the series.

Basically the article said that Blizzard lost a lot of ARPG experience and knowledge when it canned Blizzard North, and that the Irvine/Blizzard South people had different priorities and ideas of what would make D3 fun and that came through in all the bitching and complaining hardcore series fans are going on about.

He also said D3 was very different than what the original plan for D3 was, and that he feels sad that people are frustrated and that Blizzard is on the slow boat to "we can't hear you!" ville, hurt a little that they didn't care much about what made the first two Diablo games so much fun, and just a little vindicated that players seem to be backing his idea of what made ARPGs fun.

So yeah, the reactions are a little over the top and I would say very much so uncalled for.

1864 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo