Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1930 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
66. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:22 Flatline

Fuck Terror missions. That is all. Those goddamn chrysalids are impossible.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 20:21 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 19:04:
Is this game 2.5 times better than Torchlight 2? Because it costs 2.5 times as much.

Oh dude 1/10 on your trolling effort. EPIC FAIL.

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown Oct 9, 2012, 17:57 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Oct 9, 2012, 15:23:
Is this turn based? If so, better off just playing chess at the coffee shop.

I'm a major board game fan, and even I have to say 2/10. Major troll failure boyo. Come up with something better.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews
59. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 9, 2012, 01:54 Flatline

Classic is a fucking challenge. I'm 4 or 5 missions in and just got TPK'd when two thin men warped into the mission map behind me and got a nice fat firing angle on my entire squad. I ragequit, and probably will need to start again, WITHOUT the tutorial, which went on for entirely too long and led you by the goddamn nose too long too. In fact, I suspect that my frustration was at the tutorial taking 90 minutes to play through. Although warping enemies into superior firing positions is pretty much one of the most infuriating game "cheats" out there.

The defensive angles are a little funky too. Baddies would fire on me in angles I'd swear I was in full cover and it'd bypass cover entirely. I guess it was like right along the damn boarder.

Still, that means the AI is good if I'm cursing at the game on mission 5.

Edit: I also had my first altitude bug which on that same level which cost me my assault trooper. I moved him into cover and he jumped down a ledge instead.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2012, 02:03.

47. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 23:51 Flatline

9 minutes to the unlock.

I love living on the West Coast sometimes.

News Comments > Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned
14. Re: Battlefield: Bad Company TV Series Planned Oct 8, 2012, 23:49 Flatline

Oh yay. I hope they decide to use real-life combat zones that are going on right now so we can all laugh about how half the casulaties in the latest firefight in Afghanistan was due to Bad Company accidentally dropping napalm on the prick commander's base. Cue canned laugh track.  

38. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 20:37 Flatline

WaltC wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 19:48:
Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 10:27:

Why would it depend on difficulty level?
Did you play the original? It depends on how many times you play and how you treat end-game missions. I've put thousands of hours into the original because I've replayed it thousands of times. And I always rush through the later game missions, usually ignoring them altogether.

I bought all of the originals (when they were newly released) and played the crap out of them. One of the greatest things about the originals--I thought--was the truly creepy, other-wordly, music played behind the turn-based combat sequences. I loved that music, and I loved that atmosphere! I downloaded and played the demo of the new game and it looks like a lot of fun, but in the one battle sequence I've played through in the demo (don't know how large the demo is, really) the background music and sound effects sounded much more like Rap-meets-Disco-Meets-New Age. That spine-tingling creepiness of the original wasn't there in the demo. Demo seemed fun, though, and true to some aspects of the game.

But I've always wondered why, if you are going to spend the money to acquire the IP and develop the game--why wouldn't you, couldn't you use the *original* combat sound tracks for the game? To my knowledge, no one attempting remakes of the series has ever done that and it has always mystified me. That creepy music during those periods heightened the tension and really transported to the player into an unearthly scenario. IE, it really creeped the player out--which is what made it so much fun for me and the millions of other people who've played the originals since.

Has anyone mentioned whether the game ever gets that right? It's hard to understand how a remake could miss that key element in the original games.

Have you *played* the original X-Com recently? I have- this past weekend. The music is incredibly basic MIDI synth tracks that I found incredibly 90's cheesy. In fact, it reminded me of the soundtrack to the Genesis game Shadowrun (which incidentally I love because of how bad it is). I chuckled at it more than once. I suspect the tension of playing the game back then when everything was new and tense and cutting-edge was what gave the music it's appeal to you. In this case, memory really is rose-tinted.

Seriously- go back and listen to the original soundtrack. If they used that music today it'd be ridiculed. Several remakes do manage to squeeze in the original themes and variations on those themes, but to just copy the music over A/B would be terrible.

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
66. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 20:28 Flatline

Prez wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 18:42:
Not necessarily. There are 3 or 4 reviewers with whom I share a common set of gaming "values"; that is to say that we have similar tastes, preferences and petpeeves. When one of these reviewers reviews a game their opinion counts far more heavily than a reviewer who I am not familiar with. Rather than just dismissing all reviews as useless I would recommend finding reviewers who you trust and have similar gaming tastes. I think it would be better to spend time figuring out which reviewers are like you rather than being an obnoxious ass to random people on an Internet forum.

This is generally where I end up too. Other reviewers I'll read/watch for entertainment value (I have almost nothing in common with Zero Punctuation reviews for example).

The only exception I generally have is Penny Arcade. If Gabe or Tycho give gushing, overwhelming reviews of the game, and use words like "digital genetics" or "deeply rewarding" or "heroine for some deep part of my brain" and shit like that, I stay away. The only game they ever gushed like that and I liked was the board game Pandemic. Otherwise, I tend to absolutely loathe the bland, boring, repetitive, almost obsessive-compulsive gaming that they absolutely can't get enough of. I used to think we're playing different games and then I realized that we *are*. I play games for escapism and entertainment, they actually muse what school cafeteria lunch is like in the world of Pokemon.

News Comments > Dishonored Reviews
53. Re: Dishonored Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 17:07 Flatline

Leper wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 11:22:
From your content-less responses, we can agree that you have nothing substantial to say on the matter. So, go ahead and snap up your $60 game because some guy on the internet told you to.

The game reviews are indicating a high level of quality, the people here are already interested in the game, and they might not see $60 as a huge investment. Why shouldn't they buy the game?

To be fair, they gave Diablo 3 stellar reviews too and I found that to quickly deteriorate into a pile of dog crap.

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 16:58 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 15:48:
*shrug* Never heard the guy before. If I knew going in he did review satire my response would have been different. I just assumed he was the loser he was presenting himself as.

I've never heard of the guy either, but when he started pulling shit out of his ass it was pretty apparent he wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Reviews Oct 8, 2012, 15:46 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 12:40:
LittleMe wrote on Oct 8, 2012, 12:31:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz94mUWwblU

Excellent review.
Wow -- the definition of clueless. (the reviewer, I assume you are being sarcastic)

Satire is lost on some people.

The dude says it's got 64 player multiplayer. He's obviously pulling things out of his ass.

Granted, it's a boring as f*ck video, but it's not serious.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:48 Flatline

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 17:29:
Prez wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 16:04:
Okay who is the biggest classic X-COM fan here on Blues (That would be besides me) who is also buying XCOM on release day? If you convince me of your faithfulness to the almighty Microprose version and swear on your Ufopedia that the new one will be every bit as good I will preorder.

Otherwise, at least let me know if it is true to its divine heritage once you've played it and I'll buy it.

XCOM is my favorite game of all time. With Tie Fighter coming a very close 2nd. I've watched and read everything there is about this game. Played the demo, it feels like xcom. I cant stress that enough.....it feels like xcom....No other xcom clone ever gave me that feeling. This is the real deal. Buy it Prez! If its a flop you have my permission to a verbal public flogging of me!

The interesting thing is that they ditched the biggest leftover of Turn-Based games; the action point.

Not only do I not miss it from the demo, but I immediately basically had a "eureka!" moment. I *loved* x-com but *hated* the fiddliness of action points. It's one of those things where what little was lost is far surpassed by how much better it is not having to f*ck with action points.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 18:41 Flatline

RailWizard wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:59:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 7, 2012, 14:26:
In the late 1990's X-Com was anything but a niche game. The first time I played it was on a Playstation console. It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. It was on multiple platforms, sold well, and won praise from every sector of the gaming press.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown#Reception

Yeah ok. Mechwarrior wasn't niche either I suppose. lol feel free to keep rewriting history, not like I give a fuck, I just think it's funny.

If we're going to be honest about 90's computer gaming, the entire industry was a niche.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 4, 2012, 15:09 Flatline

Verno wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 11:13:
He's not really a reviewer, more like an entertainer. He rarely bothers to contextualize his complaints which is frustrating at times if you take it seriously. I agree with him on the characters being a bit samey, three of them are basically rehashes of the first games classes. Heck even Zero has a lot of overlap with Mordecai. That said, I think he missed the boat with his complaints. There is a lot of stuff to take to task in BL2 (loot variety, backtracking, etc) and he instead focused on minor personal complaints.

Yeah I don't have particularly similar tastes to Yhatzee and we agree/disagree about 50/50. He's usually pretty funny though.

However, I found his BL2 review to not even be entertaining. Which I suspect happens more and more at this point because he's cranking out the reviews weekly, and when he just feels blah about a game his creativity drops significantly.

News Comments > Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an "Endangered Species"
58. Re: Blizzard's Pardo: Single-Player Games an Oct 4, 2012, 14:45 Flatline

Slashman wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:39:
Yeah I mean look how crappy the sales for Torchlight 2 were. And Skyrim totally cratered in the sales department too. Everyone just pirated that one or rented it...

The Witcher 2 was a flop. The Batman: Arkham games tanked hard. Xcom: Enemy Unknown will probably be a failure. Dues Ex:HR, The Fallout series, Bastion, Dragon Age: Origins. So much single player fail. How does the industry stand it?

From Blizzard's POV, Torchlight 2, Witcher 2, the batman games, and xcom *are* financial failures. Remember, they were bringing in more than 60 million a month for YEARS. And if WoW sales numbers are the new normal for Blizzard, single player games are a waste of time and money, even if they're financially successful. They just aren't successful *enough*.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
27. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 17:41 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:53:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:28:
The gameplay in that video looked totally pedestrian and a lot like... well... dumbed down call of duty.

And the new pictures look like they took the previously available artwork, compressed the hell out of it, and slapped it back up in all it's ugly glory.

Except with some kind of pausing and action points I didn't have time to watch but can't imagine is a great idea.

Which was done in some James Bond game or another, Brothers in Arms, and a bunch of other games. Situational awareness isn't terribly new.

But it's basically a pause menu to activate all the nifty squad powers you get. Your "action points" is just a mana bar.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
5. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 15:40 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:24:
Flatline wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:17:
In my 90 minutes or so I built... ZERO buildings. I didn't even collect half the resources to build *one* building.

Not to defend it (the game did have a lot of issues), but buildings actually dropped as loot.

O.o Um... okay yeah I didn't even know that could happen.

Yeah, there wasn't much of a tutorial in that game. I would find secret levels (they called them secret levels), beat them, and get... like... life points back and that's it. It was a mess.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
20. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

The gameplay in that video looked totally pedestrian and a lot like... well... dumbed down call of duty.

And the new pictures look like they took the previously available artwork, compressed the hell out of it, and slapped it back up in all it's ugly glory.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original
3. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Announced; Free for Owners of Original Oct 1, 2012, 15:17 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Oct 1, 2012, 15:08:
Dunno how it worked in beta, but there's still some building in release (or there was a month ago). It's more like, "Build a wind farm so you can go over here" .. "Build a farm so you can get more people" .. I never really used it much because it felt a bit tacked on. I like the concept though.

I played it for like 90 minutes when it came out and realized I had really no clue what I was doing, the procedurally generated maps all felt the same or were nigh on impassible, and I was making no real progress in the game (or I thought I wasn't- it wasn't clear because I wasn't sure if there was a goal to the game).

AVWW really ended up being the pin that popped my enthusiasm for indie games. I don't believe any f*cking hype about any indie game now, which is probably a good thing.

The game had a myriad of major, fundamental issues with it, paramount to all I believe is pacing. The game never felt like it was going anywhere. I remember the buildings part of the game. I thought "oh okay I have to gather resources to build stuff for the city to progress through the game". In my 90 minutes or so I built... ZERO buildings. I didn't even collect half the resources to build *one* building.

News Comments > Nyrthos Trailer; Alpha Details
1. Re: Nyrthos Trailer; Alpha DetailsNyrthos Trailer; Alpha Details Sep 30, 2012, 17:40 Flatline

Oh goodie! Half of the f*cking gameplay time is spent huddled waiting for day to come.

Sounds like fun and like you totally didn't rip off Minecraft.

1930 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo