Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1899 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
38. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 17:17 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 18, 2012, 16:33:
Ok folks I have 2 good laughs for ya. Don't really spoil anything.

Claptrap's Secret Stash requirements:
Claptrap's Secret Stash requirements:

And
Naughty Blue Screen of Death

As I said... the humor is better. The claptrap stash quest is AWESOME. And "Butt Stallion" is pretty... odd?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup
31. Re: Borderlands 2 Ships - Review Roundup Sep 18, 2012, 15:04 Flatline

The humor is better in BL2.

The quote when you get your first gun...

"This is your first gun. It's not very spectacular, but later on when you have rifles that shoot lightning you'll look back on this moment and think 'heh'"

Or something like that. I've had at least 4 or 5 good LOL moments so far.

News Comments > Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced
48. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 15:51 Flatline

I stand corrected! I had gone by Bioware saying they outsold DA:O 2-to-1 or something like that. Silly me for trusting devs  

43. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 15:38 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 15:23:
Doubtful that they learned anything to be honest, Laidlaw and Gaider were still all about the "awesome button" long past the sales failure that was DAII.

Apparently DA2 outsold DA:O significantly. I'm not sure it was a sales failure.

28. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 13:56 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:45:
Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:39:
Still, deciding to end a 3 game, 60+ hour saga with the End-o-matic 3000 where you pick, literally, one of three colors and the End-o-matic spits out your appropriately shaded cutscene shows me that Bioware doesn't "get it" any more really.

That I can agree with. They said in the press that you would not just "pick a colored, canned ending from a few choices" and then it turns out...that is exactly what you do. It was so damning that they started closing topics where people reposted the interview. I thought it was a damned shame, they upped the ante with player choice in prior games but needed to actually follow through on the endings to prove the validity of that story telling method.

Pretty much. And you know what's really funny? The three shit decisions is not a bad thing in and of itself. I get that the reapers were supposed to be some BS Nietzsche Ubermensch that operated on a completely different morality plane than the rest of life itself. I get that Shepherd was eventually, essentially making similar decisions, almost on a different morality plane than most people. But the story didn't lead up to that. If most of ME3 brought that to light, and explored the idea better, it would have been a better leadup to the ending. Oddly enough, I feel like *that* story would have required Shepherd to drift away from his crew and friends, even potentially his romance interest (which would have made for some epic roleplay scenes) as his morality becomes more and more alien due to the choices he has to make. Properly done, Shepherd's story could have been a tragedy, with the three shit endings at the end being a validation of the direction and alienation that Shepherd went through.

Edit: In that light, the 3 cutscenes almost fit from a storytelling sense. Having become Ubermensch, the outcome only interests Shepherd empirically, and doesn't require an "in the mud" point of view ending.

Anyway, I still am pretty much done with Bioware. If they knock one out of the park I'll evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.

26. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 13:39 Flatline

Verno wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 13:21:
Flatline wrote on Sep 17, 2012, 12:49:
I learned my lesson from Mass Effect 3, DA2, and ToR. No more bioware games. Sorry guys.

I don't know, I thought Mass Effect 3 was a good game with a really unfortunate ending.

Actually you're right. There were some epic, touching moments in ME3. It's not even so much the ending as Bioware doubling down and dropping a duce with the "extended ending". Though the multiplayer component to help you get a better ending blew chunks too.

Still, deciding to end a 3 game, 60+ hour saga with the End-o-matic 3000 where you pick, literally, one of three colors and the End-o-matic spits out your appropriately shaded cutscene shows me that Bioware doesn't "get it" any more really.

18. Re: Dragon Age III Inquisition Announced Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 Flatline

I learned my lesson from Mass Effect 3, DA2, and ToR. No more bioware games. Sorry guys.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes
40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 13:27 Flatline

Axis wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:41:
Rattlehead wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:15:
Axis wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 08:44:

But ya, get pissed at the efficient players, that makes sense.

Is that what they call marathon gaming sessions these days?

Pro tip, slow down.

See Rattle you're just one of "those" people.

Had someone said "GW2 is HARD to make cash, slow to level, confusing to pvp!"
People like you would say "L2P"

Many of you supposedly played the BWE's when you were on the attack of anyone who had anything negative to say. I can't imagine anyone who played the BWE's not to be 80 even at a casual pace. A majority of vet gamers are 80 by now, I know most in my guild are/have been and we all work and are in our 30s and 40s.

Sure we focused on progression, and that's a problem? Laughable.

The only difference between me and many is I've saved myself major time being efficient at the start. You guys will be spending 20X the amount of time while you discover every vistas and POI -- it'll take you 2 months, and the end result will be exactly as I stated:

"People are now realizing that the future is major grinding for legendaries or pvp -- and only if you LOVE the game would you have more than a passing interest in either."

This isn't about monies worth - sure I got mine and you will all too. But will the game have the longevity and addiction of what many of you rabidly attacked and defended it would be? Answer that once you've been in endgame a week or so.

All I can say to this is that if you're the type to put in 100+ hours within 2 weeks of launch, there's only one of two options for you: Change your play habits or admit that there is no such thing as longevity for you. Anything else is mock indignation at a problem you yourself create. There is no game that can provide infinite new content at an at-will pace, so pretending that there should be is kind of bullshit, especially when the game is so new that they're still releasing daily stability patches.

I play maybe once or twice a week and at the rate I'm going at I'll still be seeing new stuff in six months, maybe even a year. That's quite a bit of longevity, considering most games I blow through in a weekend and never touch again. For a game that I don't pay a monthly fee for, 2 months of gameplay is a lot. I suspect that in six months, when I do level cap, there will be new content waiting. either that or I can go pick a completely different class/race and have the fun of exploring the world that way.

It's obvious no amount of content will be enough for a certain population of people, but somehow that's the game's fault and not the player's issue, and I never got that.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes
24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 04:16 Flatline

My only main complaint at this point is the 3 levels between story missions I have to go through to continue the story. They're fun, well written, and engaging. I want to keep doing them. The problem isn't the leveling per se, it's that I'll eventually have to grind events or just grind the last half of a level to reach the next one.

Also, my leveling has officially completely surpassed my crafting. I need to catch up. Part of the problem is that the magic buffs that are required are effing insane. They drop slowly, and then the second tier of buffs requires something sick like a stack of 8 vials of thin blood or whatever. Both my crafts are stuck at around 50 because of that, and I''ve kind of given up on it, which sucks because that's a great source of XP.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
11. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 9, 2012, 00:49 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 17:35:
Flatline wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:57:
So I stand corrected. Heart of the Swarm introduces 2.5 new units for 2 sides (mines that don't look particularly effective and a proto-mothership with a few abiliites being the halves), and 2 units for the zerg. Wooo.

Actually, the mines can be quite effective when used properly. And the mothership core gives the Protoss access to some abilities very early on they wouldn't otherwise get until late game.

But the time delay wasn't over adding units, so much as it was over the campaign. Making a good campaign (and the video that goes with it) takes a lot longer than throwing together some units - even if the units need to be balanced exceptionally well (as SC2 is a popular eSport game, hence balance being critical).

Mines are fine in and of themselves, but in the above video they killed 2 out of a squad of 5 marines. Unless they are dirt cheap they look useless (maybe they're better at vehicles), especially since it looks like you'll have to dedicate production facility time when you could be building something else. That being said, they don't qualify to me as a new unit, especially since vulture bikes were laying them back in SC1 as their alternate ability.

You're right about the 'toss core, which is cool, but it's still nothing actually new, just shuffled around a little.

And considering it took a year to crank out Brood Wars, units, campaign, and all, I don't see what the extra time is here. The pre-rendered movies are nice, but they aren't what's holding the game up.

What *is* is "polishing" and "balancing", which i put in quotes because within a month they'll have patched the balance they achieved out. 2 years of "balancing" for the same experience that 1 month of general population play will provide. To prove my point, I give you every previous Blizzard title ever released. Getting it 90% close in, say, half the time, and then being fast on the balance/polish patches for the first month or two probably would cut dev time in half, but wouldn't have nearly the hype behind it.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Sep 8, 2012, 17:01 Flatline

We'll see how hard they work on it. The PS3 is at the end of it's run nearly and the PS4's architecture is probably going to be vastly different now that the egos who though that insanely expensive plus difficult to program for would bring the developers flocking in droves.  

News Comments > On Darksiders II Sales
5. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:59 Flatline

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:28:
Sorry, but it just wasn't a very good game.

This. The original is the only game to this day I've ever not been able to finish and was so unimpressed with I returned it to Gamestop for store credit (I believe I traded it in for Mass Effect 2)

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video
3. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:57 Flatline

So I stand corrected. Heart of the Swarm introduces 2.5 new units for 2 sides (mines that don't look particularly effective and a proto-mothership with a few abiliites being the halves), and 2 units for the zerg. Wooo.

2.5 years for that. Amazing.

And I'm not sure what some of the units like the warhound are supposed to be, but others look fairly underwhelming.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 16:46 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 02:49:
Flatline wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 02:08:
I just f*cking wish they'd turn on the auction house. I'm sitting on like 500 silver ore I want to sell.

? the Trading Post's been working fine for me for the last three days...

Creston

It came online at about 11pm for me last night. It was down the day before though for me.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks
18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 02:08 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 01:11:
So now that people have had some time to play, how long a game is it? Speaking from a single player perspective, that is. I don't really have any interest in the PvP side of things, and from the sounds of it, there's no much else to do at max level? How long does it take to hit that point?

Probably on the level of an Elder Scrolls game. I've barely left the first biome so far (dipped into the ruins of Ascalon but otherwise stayed in the Viking winter lands) and have played for well over 20 hours.

Even running through early level stuff, you're level scaled, so you always have something to do.

I just f*cking wish they'd turn on the auction house. I'm sitting on like 500 silver ore I want to sell.

Edit: I had a hacking attempt from Spain of all places in the first week of launch but had email authentication on, and then I switched my password over to a unique password for GW2 alone and haven't had an issue since.

I have, however, seen stripped naked people standing in corners of maps today though, I'm assuming they were hacked.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
76. removed Sep 6, 2012, 20:21 Flatline

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 6, 2012, 20:39.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
79. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 20:14 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 17:15:
Also, and maybe someone who does have a legal background can answer this, but isn't there a risk to filing the legal claim that she did all that malicious stuff? I mean, he would need to prove motivation...which could very well be sexual harassment right? Let's say it didn't go that way, but instead she is proven to be innocent of what he charges. Regardless of the sexual harassment charges, wouldn't she then have a civil case regarding professional slander? I mean, what they are accusing her of doing has to have a long term affect on her job opportunities right?

It's possible for blowback, but not common. It's a generally safe bet that even if she's found in the clear of the charges nothing will roll back on him other than legal fees.

42. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:23 Flatline

Also, if you want to read the complaint, it's here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105042009/Complaint-and-Summons-12-30-10

There's 89 different allegations. That's a hell of a lot of systematic baseless creativity on her part.

I imagine Wardell honestly doesn't believe he committed sexual harassment. Most of the time, the harasser doesn't believe they're creating a hostile work environment.

40. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:14 Flatline

Elricsi wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:57:
Don't dip you pen in the company ink.

P.S. As far as I understand, suggestive comments and jokes may be OK, but if an employee makes any kind of complaint about it, then you have to stop immediately.

From witnessing it in corporate America, the *company* is okay in that scenario, and ensures it is okay in that scenario by firing you for sexual harassment, or sending you to "sensitivity training" and making you apologize publicly for your words/deeds/actions.

Leave that sh*t at home or as inner-monologue.

17. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 14:49 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 14:42:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 14:40:
A company that size should have maybe tried one new IP or possibly focus'd on improving existing IP like Sins or Galactic Civ 2. Instead they jumped head on into Elemental and Demigod (I believe) and possibly others we never heard about with no concern for how those products would sell. Maybe there was more work being done on demigod and they canned that team or perhaps they just got rid of the elemental team and put the remaining funds into Sins Rebellion? The sale of impulse must have freed up some funds and maybe that is why we're seeing elemental and Sins Rebellion now.

Stardock didn't fund either Demigod or Sins. They just published them.

Creston

That's right... Gas Powered Games did Demigod. I remember them giving Stardock shit for the piss-poor launch and the crappy server performance.

1899 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo