Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 23, 2012, 17:52 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:29:
And why are people sending each other emails about when they can have a meeting? Click on Meeting, click on invitees, then you can see when people are busy and when they are available. Pick a time when everyone is available, and schedule the meeting.

This is how pretty much every company that has Exchange that I've been at has done it, and it works just fine. Can't make the meeting? Cancel or propose a new time. At most you get one invite, and then one other one to propose the new time (which you don't even have to act on, as it will automatically update the time of the meeting for you.)

It's even easier than that in modern Exchange environments.

We have 2 conference rooms in our HQ, and 1 conference room in our remote site. I've given each of them an identity and schedule in Exchange. Encouraging people to use their calendar for free/available status means that you can set up meetings in minutes from just about anything with an internet connection.

Email is far from dead. In fact, I'd say integrated messaging systems have finally hit a renaissance where their features and usability are spectacular. Not being a slave to Blackberry and BES because ActiveSync handles Exchange & mobile units is fantastic, pushing exchange out over HTTPS means that I am not slaved to VPNs for my managers that are always traveling, and the integration of exchange into a VOIP system makes life even easier by pushing voicemail out of the office and to exchange accounts, like on mobile handsets.

Our personal assistants who used to be boss bitches now are practically project leads, as their day has been opened up significantly to do productive shit.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus
13. Re: BioShock Infinite: Industrial Revolution Pre-Order Bonus Oct 23, 2012, 03:26 Flatline

cocoreno wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 00:02:
Ultimately, Ken Levine has built up enough stock with me and gets the benefit of the doubt. Few games have come as close to Bioshock in terms of mood and immersion. Fallout: New Vegas being one (if not better) example and more recently, Dishonored.

For it's time, Thief: The Dark Project was pants-wettingly tense in a way-awesome steam/manapunk setting before either was trendy.

I loved System Shock and SS2 for it's gameplay and story, but the setting of Thief was fascinating outright.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfix Tomorrow
10. Re: Diablo III Hotfix Tomorrow Oct 23, 2012, 00:40 Flatline

Trevellian wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:13:
So is THIS the patch that makes the game not suck and gets rid of the RMAH?

Is this the patch that implements PVP? At all? It's only been 5 months...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2012, 14:24 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:22:
As for XCOM, does anyone feel that the "assault the enemy base" and the final mission were pretty lacking? Especially the final mission was just... I dunno, boring.

I've tried the final mission 3 times now, and each time I encountered a different game-stopping bug. First time I had a hard lock, second time I had a CTD, and third time during the frame-rate drop that occasionally happens a floater clipped through the wall and apparently the mission is scripted and I can't continue until I kill the dude. Thank GOD I'm not playing Ironman, because I'd blow my top if my entire game failed at that point.

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2012, 16:36 Flatline

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 12:22:
The article the other day on the Kickstarter guy who was doing lockpicks was pretty revealing. The real issue is simply that most of these guys can't budget and undershoot their expenses in an effort to ensure the project gets funded.

Selfstarter is a much more interesting concept, the project backers actually have to complete the project before they get their funds and I think that promotes a lot more responsible development.

Actually, in this case, it was always known (but not to backers) that the main programmer was going to leave. It was understood he'd work on the project in his "spare time" until Google came along and ate his "spare time". The other programmer probably said "I'm not hauling this all on my own" and quit.

It's not even a case of bad budgeting, it's a case of a fundamentally flawed "what could possibly go wrong?" plan that relied on surplus volunteer work and was never actually stated to backers. It's borderline fraud I think in this case.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed
17. Re: BioShock Infinite CEs Detailed Oct 18, 2012, 15:14 Flatline

I'm more interested in the board game. Plaid Hat Games is a great developer, and Summoner Wars is one of my all-time favorite games ever made.

That doesn't mean it'll be a great game, but I'm far more interested in the board game.

News Comments > Outlast Announced
4. Re: Outlast Announced Oct 18, 2012, 04:37 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 00:56:
Eh, it's a bit premature to call it a wagon. Survival horror games are still pretty rare these days.

*Good* survival horror games are rare.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3: BFG Edition Oct 17, 2012, 18:22 Flatline

I'm still wondering why a minor/moderate overhaul of such an old game is actually news. Especially when you can replicate the experience with some mods. This is a bargain-bin release.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Raises $5M
13. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 18:00 Flatline

Keith wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 12:43:
I don't think the game is solid or fun at this point. My take is that some are so invested in seeing a successful mech game that they are willing to dismiss obvious and glaring problems. That is just my opinion. The graphics, the 'mech set up, the maps, the teams, the weapons, everything I see needs major tweaking. There is some inherent fun in knowing you are blowing some nameless face on the other side of an internet connection up, but beyond that MO isn't even as smooth or playable as some of the most basic FPS shooters. I don't get the sense that I am in a 75+ ton machine of death, striding over the battlefield to kill and be killed. I want to feel like those missiles are going to blow some shit up, or my PPC is going to make you think twice about popping over that ridge.

Well originally all the mechs had their tabletop armor values, but people were complaining that they died quickly, so they doubled the armor values of all mechs and only did slight weapon damage tweaking. That's why missiles and PPCs feel like spitwads.

It's been a very, very long point of contention with a lot of players ever since the choice was made.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty
40. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 17:52 Flatline

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 17:38:
I would not trust GMG, many banks, including mine, have them listed under fraudulent websites.

Actually it's listed as a gambling(?) website.

Wow - really? I've bought at least 10 games through them (XCOM most recently) and never had any trouble or got an alert. Does it matter which country you buy from? I'm in the U.S.

I'm in the US as well. And I didn't catch a trigger until like the 5th game I ordered from them. It's erratic. And BS.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty
38. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and her Pirate's Booty Oct 16, 2012, 17:29 Flatline

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 10:58:
Darks wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 10:19:
Where’s the Sarlack Pit and the Rancor?

Actually this add-on looks pretty kewl. I was getting a feeling that Gearbox was taking some crack pot shots at Rage with the way some of those environments looked.

Yes, Rage should have had Coop that would have made the game much better. Take a few lessons from GB ID.

BTW, Greenman Gaming has Borderlands two on sale if you use this Voucher Code. 25 percent off untill the 19th. that makes the season pass 24 dollars.

GMG20-FXYD1-7WHP1

http://www.greenmangaming.com/
I would not trust GMG, many banks, including mine, have them listed under fraudulent websites.

Actually it's listed as a gambling(?) website.

It triggered the arcane and insane fraud protection on my paypal account, after I had bought stuff from them half a dozen times *boggle*.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
2. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 16:07 Flatline

That was when I stopped playing. The patch came out, it hit pretty much anyone with nvidia cards, and they came out a day or so later and said "we patched that problem, but we aren't going to release a hotfix. Everyone who has this problem check back in a week."

Then Guild Wars 2 came out, and the flood of awesome games kicked into high gear, and I just stopped giving a shit.

I don't think it's ready for open beta yet. The maps are anywhere from the size of a postage stamp to a bathroom stall, there's only one gameplay mode, and I have this gut feeling that it'll be a *long* time before they fill out the game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 15, 2012, 20:24 Flatline

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 13:53:
Wow... that's pretty ancient. I remember the moon clips and switch box for the Atari and having to use a phillips to screw it in, I believe they had them for the NES and the Genesis too, but by that point it was coax with RCA ports.

Like this?
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/wp-content/tvswitch_2_large.jpg

That's it! The switch to coax and then RCA was a big jump.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 15, 2012, 13:28 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 12:37:
You people are too old. My big Christmas was playing Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, and Rampage on our brand-spankin-new NES. Well, not so much playing as watching my (older) brother and sister play.

Fast forward X years to the Christmas of the N64, whereupon our fantastic new console was unusable on my parents' ancient wood-paneled Zenith for lack of an RCA adapter. What a crushing day that was.

Wow... that's pretty ancient. I remember the moon clips and switch box for the Atari and having to use a phillips to screw it in, I believe they had them for the NES and the Genesis too, but by that point it was coax with RCA ports.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Oct 14, 2012, 02:09 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 23:23:
"console market will never go away, but it will become smaller; says gaming has now become mass-market."

At face value that sounds stupid.

Then he goes on to say "Hardcores will keep it alive but get smaller". I guess he's predicting some hardcores will give up the ghost and become fashionable gamers. Not usually the case.

Now with the idea of Consoles are dying, I bet MS doesn't like the sound of that. The best thing they can do now is come out with a mofo killer console.

"Hardcore" gamers will grow up, get jobs, get married, have kids. They'll not stop playing, but they'll stop being hardcore. Plus, time and genetics take their toll. Eventually you just aren't as fast or as good as you used to be, even with daily training (which you can't afford to do any more).

My hardcore gaming days were over 10 years ago before I even left college, though I didn't realize it at the time.

Will the console market get smaller? Possibly, but doubtful. What he's not realizing is that as the hardcore market ages and shrinks, there's an entire generation of kids ready to step up and drink the kool aid and play Call of Duty 67: The Search for More Money. My generation remembers the Atari and the Commodore 64, the next generation grew up with games, and this generation after the current one grew up watching kids play games, and having games that are nearly photo-realistic. *Not* playing video games is going to be an odd concept to them.

As for "more innovation", I laugh at that. We're seeing two directions right now: Derivative as all hell games (regardless of if they're fun or not) and this weird, low budget retro crowdsourced kick that's going on. Hardly anything new there. Someone postulated if we're going back to our roots to see if anything new generates when you apply the old genres to a more indie format, but I dunno if I'd go that far.

News Comments > Diablo III Monster Power Detailed
29. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 13, 2012, 18:24 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 23:49:
Personally I've never been able to understand it, nor have I ever been able to understand how WoW did as well as it did, EQ in a Warcraft skin with lots of handholding and very little depth. Yet how many years now has it had 10 million plus subscribers?

I played EQ. It wasn't fun. WoW was fun for a while (never more than 2 months at a time apparently though according to my subscription history). They changed a *lot* of tropes for MMOs, at the time for the better, and they succeeded because of it.

Now, within Blizzard DNA, the original WoW felt basically like Diablo 3 online, with all the ripping off that they did from Diablo 2 with skills and the skill trees.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer
11. Re: Metro: Last Light Dropping Multiplayer Oct 13, 2012, 18:17 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Oct 13, 2012, 15:52:
Yup, I think most of us can agree tacking on multiplayer is a bad idea. Focus on giving us a great single-player game and we'll be happy.

I choose games based on what I want them for. Multiplayer? I play GW2 for MMO kicks, and BF3 for shooting people online.

They tacked multiplayer on Max Payne 3, and it sucks. It's so generic that you could be playing any 3rd person shooter. The single player was great. Why dilute it with crap multi.

MP3 was't bad with multiplayer, what made it blow was the abhorrent hacking going on.

At least, that's the only thing I can think of when I go to shoot someone and 3 seconds later not only do I not register my hits, but they warp back and forth through the air in a shoot-lunge for 3 seconds. More than half the people were doing that in the last attempt I made to play, and I just gave up at that point.

20. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 12, 2012, 17:23 Flatline

deqer wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 16:49:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 16:08:
I will said one thing, I don't miss Krowen telling everyone how great D3 is going to be and how great blizzard is.
Yeah, people need to start accepting the fact that Blizzard just isn't the same as it used to be anymore. Now that they are all big and king kong with tons of shares and partners; they're getting ahead of themselves now with their big ego and it's taking a toll for the worst.

I don't even think it's that. To an extent, constraints on time and money on a project encourage creativity. Blizzard has neither in any project it develops. So you get 3+ years of downtime for expansion packs that used to take 10-12 months and dull games like Diablo 3 that took 5-6 years of development (10 years if you count Blizzard North's original Diablo 3).

19. Re: Diablo III Monster Power Detailed Oct 12, 2012, 17:19 Flatline

deqer wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 13:11:
descender wrote on Oct 12, 2012, 12:23:
Sorry the people who still play were too busy to care that you are still crying about it.
^ this guy is still playing D3.

To answer Beaver's question.

Well he did care enough to respond, so by his own yardstick, he actually *isn't* playing.

News Comments > Mass Effect DLC Next Month on Xbox
9. Re: Mass Effect DLC Next Month on Xbox Oct 12, 2012, 15:45 Flatline

Why bother when you already know the ending? All your effort is generally useless.

Even if it's a great story, I don't want to reward Bioware for shitting all over Mass Effect.

Besides, I still have like 7 top-notch games to play through.

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo