Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2181 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
25. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:28 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:42:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

Wow. You're seriously judging an entire game based off of a 20 minute alpha clip of a side mission. Why aren't you playing the stock market with that kind of predictive skill?

Tell ya what. If you don't like the dialogue in the mission... write your own fucking mission. That's what the mission editor will be for. The damn thing is drag & drop. You can finally show us how the game *should* be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Co-op a "Big Focus" of Diablo III 1.0.8
5. Re: Co-op a Mar 8, 2013, 02:57 Flatline

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:52:
PHJF wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 21:37:
Improve farming efficiency?

My my my how low Diablo has fallen.

Yep, that’s why they are changing the loot all over again. To force players to go out and re farm the shit out of the game again.. The note about town portaling was funny to me, the reason people go back to town so much is because the fucking games inventory is so small. How about they make that shit bigger?

It's amazing how much shit you could cram into that horadric cube in D2. It was like a bag of holding.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
45. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 02:53 Flatline

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 01:06:
These early problems with always online AAA games are not going to go away. It's always cheaper to plan server capacity based upon expected levels at the 1 week or month mark rather than spend extra for the initial surge and then decommission or reallocate servers afterwards. You just need to explain away the problems until the surge dies down and then congratulate yourselves on the budget savings.

Err... yes, but at the same time it might cost a couple grand to handle the initial surge of players and avoid negative publicity. I mean, you already have a master copy of the virtualized server, you just allocate more resources at your server host and fucking hit "turn on" and 10 minutes later you're golden. As soon as server demand drops you cull the surplus virtual servers.

But I forgot. Your city is bound to the server you play on. So there's that. Because just being able to log in anywhere and retrieve your save game isn't good enough.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
120. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:28 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:10:
Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:57:
ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:33:
And Chris Taylor (and numerous idiots) announced the death of Kickstarter when his project failed.

HAH! Crowdfunding is here to stay.
I don't get the hatred and vitriol towards crowdfunding from people who aren't even in publishing business. Its like they can't WAIT for this stuff to fail horribly and are gleefully standing around with a gas can to pour onto the fire when a project goes south.

There WILL be projects that fail. It doesn't mean the rest will, or that crowdfunding is stupid and should die and go away in a year. Its like investing in a startup. Protip, they sometimes fail.
KS's model of only funding if it reaches the goal reduces a lot of crap from getting funded. People are also expected to use a modicum of common sense, if something doesn't sound legit... guess what? It might not be!

The main reason for this hatred directed at crowdfunding from certain sectors of the entertainment industry is, I believe, simple to explain.

Crowdfunding threatens the status quo of publishers, gaming and otherwise. The dinosaurs don't want anything to threaten their ancient business model and crowdfunding is the biggest threat to classic publishing yet. It threatens the whole status quo of the publishing world and hence a lot of corporate people and their cronies can't wait to see this new model fail and fail hard. Bad news for them though, due to the nature of this model this can never, ever fail.

Crowdfunding isn't going to completely wipe out the old publishing model. Let's be honest, Wasteland 2 and Torment are going to be B list games at best in the grand scheme of things. They're made for literally in some cases 1-2% of the budget of AAA titles. Not to say they won't be fantastic, fun, or pretty to look at, but nobody's raised 50 million on a kickstarter game yet, and until they do, the traditional publisher system isn't going anywhere.

Also, let's not forget that the major KS successes are all carried on the legacies of beloved IPs or developers with legendary track records. And they're only generating a million or two on that. Your average indie developer is going to have issues raising that much money.

Now. That being said. What Kickstarter *can* do is bring back niche games. Seriously. All projects I've backed are either niche boardgames or niche computer games. And that's an AWESOME thing to say.

But I don't delude myself that this is going to bring an end to EA or Ubi or Activision. If I see 100 million go towards a KS video game, yeah I'll start re-evaluating that statement. Until then... not so much, but I'll still get a kick out of what comes out of KS.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
104. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:18 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:06:
polygon interview
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

A couple good interviews. Here's some tidbits:

InXile believes it has learned a critical lesson from its crowdfunding success. The creative leads at InXile believe that the traditional publisher/developer model of funding video games is broken, and the developer is staking its future on that claim.

and
RPS – Can you talk about why Wizards of the Coast were resistant to licensing Planescape again?

Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didn’t push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldur’s Gate 3 project going.

RPS – Did you meet any resistance when seeking the Torment name?

Fargo: I patiently waited for someone to do something with a Torment concept but nothing happened. After many years the rights expired and allowed me to step in and put together a great team to make another title of its kind. We will improve on the mechanics and deliver a deep narrative story that is deserving of the name Torment.

So apparently the torment trademark was expired which is how they can use that, but they don't have IP from wizards.
And they've tried to do BG3.

Wizards of the Coast is driving D&D into an unmarked grave. It went from 20 million active players at the height of 3rd edition to like 2 million active players according to a court document a few years back at the "height" of 4th edition. Now they're cranking out 5th ed, which is supposed to be this "universal" edition. The beta was fucking terrible. First beta test had material like the cleric who was better at finding and disabling traps than the thief.

But the heads of D&D don't *like* the old settings. Hell, they basically shit-canned *dragonlance*, which kind of boggles the mind. Nobody's willing to even mention Planescape, so it doesn't surprise me that they couldn't get rights to develop in the planescape setting. WOTC and Mearls probably would see a planescape revisit to be harmful to their intention to make D&D Next (what a horrible name) "successful" again.

While I love Planescape, I'm fine with ditching it. D&D is a shadow of it's former glory, and I don't see where using the IP would benefit actually. The tropes that are shackled to D&D are so severe that it'd be limiting instead of beneficiary. Torment was barely D&D anyway.

Also, backed for 20 bucks. I dig the themes they're planning to explore.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change
16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:25 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:48:
sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:38:
My old FFXI guildies are trying to get me to go back and play FFXIV with them, but I'm not buying it - looks too static and old-fashioned. Nice folks but I think I'm over the old-school MMO thing.

Don't do it, it's just not fun. Some friends did the same with me and I uninstalled shortly after.

I don't ever recall FF11 being "fun" either. It was more like a second job that I had to pay to perform.

I have a friend that spent like 2 *years* in-game. They have a timer that lets you know how long you've been playing. I never heard anything cool about the game, only bitching about how expensive and how BS and how time consuming everything was.

Not to mention the bullshit stuff like Pandemonium Warden, which in it's original incarnation required a concerted effort for over 18 hours before admitting defeat.

Or the chocobo training that required you to log in every 7 hours to get maximum results. Yeah, so you'd be waking up mid-sleep cycle to fucking jerk off your chocobo and keep him happy.

Or charging a dollar for every character slot.

The list goes on and on. I *tried* to get into it, but my linkshard basically told me that I'd need to PUG until I level capped and then they'd play with me. Which I hate doing. And apparently you must group in FF11 or get your ass kicked almost immediately.

Nothing fun about it. At least in Eve Online I had fun for like 45 minutes.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 6, 2013, 14:12 Flatline

PETA has around a 90% kill rate for it's animal shelters.

http://tinyurl.com/7u63x4x

It's hard to take any hyper-pro-animal organization seriously that kills thousands of animals a year.

Plus, whaling was pretty much why countries went to sea for like 300 years. It'd be hard to do a nautical game that didn't touch on the whaling industry in the age of sail. The only odd thing about it in this period is that I'm not sure that the Caribbean is known as a whaling ground. Usually the North Atlantic and South Pacific waters were known as "fisheries" (There's others, like the Kamchatka Sea that I'm missing). Plus, a privateering ship is not a whaling ship by any stretch.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2013, 13:45 Flatline

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:53:
The story doesn't sound plausible. For one thing, prior to 9/11, getting through that door probably would not have posed much challenge. For another, systematically murdering the crew would likely incense the passengers.

The most rational thing for the terrorists to have done would have been to simply lie to everyone that they were hijacking the plane. "Everyone stay calm and no one will get hurt." The passengers literally would not know what hit them until they slammed into the concrete and steel of the tower.

There's a lot of conflicting reports. Some reports of box cutters, stabbings, etc... from passengers and flight attendants on cell phones before the crashes reported things like that. There were also reports of chemical sprays and claims of a bomb.

But still, the TSA is just security theater.

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
42. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:35:
Ratty wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:17:
I know everyone loves Dishonored

I don't. I thought the first level (the prison break one) sucked, then the next one in the city was fantastic, and I had a great time. And then they sent me right back to the EXACT SAME LEVEL for the next mission. I slogged through it, got annoyed, quit, and haven't played it again since.

I keep looking at it and think "I really need to finish Dishonored." Then I go play something else.

Creston

The point where you are captured and lose all your gear *gasp!* was where I quit playing.

Actually I take that back I played one level later and was bored out of my skull at the limited nature of the levels. When they were open wide it rocked, but when they boiled down to "pathways" it sucked donkey balls and I quit playing.

28. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 14:13 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:55:

DX:HR was a good game but it was far from "awesome". It's predecessor was awesome.

Deus Ex Invisible War sucked shit through a tube.

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
41. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:14 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:17:
Sempai wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:10:
The games business is a giant cluster fuck.
This news makes me want to cry because i enjoyed the hell out of this series, even three.

Something needs to change in this industry, these giant publishers need to go away and the model needs to find a way to be reborn.
The sheer amount of abuse and burnout in the industry is telling.
I respect these teams so much, and yet publishers like EA treat them like disposable dogshit.

This business needs a union of some sort that will protect these people from this constant and never ending abuse. I don't know..i don't have the answers..

A union isn't the answer. A union will get you what Hollywood has - contract workers rather than employees. That's even worse than what we have now.

EA isn't as much of a problem as they were, anyway. They do far less buying and razing awesome studios these days. They don't have the buying power, but I think they've learned that lesson. A bit.
The issue now is more just a function of no one understanding what to do about how much it costs to make a game with cutting edge graphics. Most studios decided the way to handle that is by reducing single player to 6-7 hours.

It isn't just games dealing with this, either. Look at Hollywood now. The most expensive movies of all time are the ones heaviest with CGI - movies like Oz Great and Powerful which is 100% greenscreened cost over $200MM. Nuts. And then the artists doing those effects get laid off and the studios get closed weeks after winning awards.
Don't know the answer. Industry leading computer visuals are just extremely expensive...

Next Gen needed to be about streamlining the production pipeline and really focusing on creating tools that work with the console/platform to reduce the time required for game creators to make content. Instead, we're chasing higher and higher graphical fidelity, and at some point we're going to hit a weird equilibrium where we *can* make better looking games, but it'll simply cost *way* too much to make games at that high of fidelity.

We're starting to see that now actually I think. My gaming laptop is a year or two old now, but it still runs pretty much *everything* I throw at it. I figure that Crysis 3 would run like shit, but there's not many games focusing on that level of graphical fidelity. I'm looking at my steam list of current games and most of them back off of that level of absurd level of detail in favor of artistic liberties, and look the better for it.

13. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:06 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:33:

Holy Dishonored, Batman!

I just looked at the art assets and you're right, it looks like they ripped off Dishonored.

Also, a compound bow? BOO. BOO I SAY.

12. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:04 Flatline

Yakubs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:55:
Yay, another crap game with a classic game's name incoming. Gee, I really wish I could be a part of THAT proud development team.

If I had a quarter for every fucking fantasy setting that suffered from a mysterious plague, I wouldn't have to work. If I had a nickel for every fantasy setting that suffers from a tyrannical baron or duke or king, my entire family could retire.

So far I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing. Thief games didn't have "multiple paths" through levels, they just had open levels and you went nuts in them within the limits of your equipment.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
9. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 5, 2013, 02:37 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 20:53:
They must have offered him a decent chunk of money, as not many developers would want to work for a prick like Brad Wardell.

Yeah after that Glenn Beck episode I promised not to ever bother with another Stardock game. Which is sad, but it means that I avoided stuff like the code abortion that was Elemental.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details
27. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 18:08 Flatline

ShakyJake wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 17:34:
Dawn of the 18th century? Call me a pedant, but that would put it in the early 1700s. If the game is supposed to take place around the era of the Napoleonic wars, then it should have been called "Dawn of the 19th century".

Actually the early 1700s would put it towards the end of the golden age of piracy, and right after Queen Anne's War.

The game has nothing to do with the Napoleonic Wars. I think I was the only person saying that'd make a cool setting. France & England pretty much were at war off and on for like 5-600 years. In the Caribbean you also have the Dutch, the Spanish (though they're a shadow of their former power in the West Indies at this point), the Portuguese, and a few other factions that all fucked with each other for about a hundred years.

Edit: The artwork of Edward Teach (Blackbeard) totally needs slow match woven into his beard and hair.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 18:17.

23. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 15:59 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:47:
Flatline wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:36:
Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:38:
The last sentence was never in the game, but is apparently revealed in a cgi short movie about the end of Ezio. Anyone have a link to that, by any chance? I never was able to get it from Ubi, even though I was supposed to.

Creston

Assassin's Creed: Embers. It was included in the ipad/iphone card game.

It actually was pretty cool, and a bittersweet ending for Ezio. Definitely had echoes of The Godfather for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL30864YID4

Awesome, thanks man!

Creston

My pleasure. It also cock-teases a Wuxia/Chinese Assassin's Creed that I think most people would spoo themselves to see, though I doubt they'd ever go so far as to do full-on wirework. Though a freerunning Wuxia game would be 8 kinds of awesome.

20. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 15:36 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:38:
The last sentence was never in the game, but is apparently revealed in a cgi short movie about the end of Ezio. Anyone have a link to that, by any chance? I never was able to get it from Ubi, even though I was supposed to.

Creston

Assassin's Creed: Embers. It was included in the ipad/iphone card game.

It actually was pretty cool, and a bittersweet ending for Ezio. Definitely had echoes of The Godfather for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL30864YID4

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
26. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 2, 2013, 18:41 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 23:48:
Whenever we talk about what the fantasy of Diablo is and what we want the core gameplay to be, never do we say “we want players to farm gold and go buy items off the auction house”.

BULLLLCRAP. Because that's sure as heck how you've designed the game!

Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 23:21:
What's going on is that Blizzard probably never intended for the RMAH to be a dominant, permanent fixture. As D3 wanes, they'll back away from monetizing it so hard. Yeah sure it'll still be there, but they made their millions and can ease back on all roads leading to the RMAH, figuring that in doing so they can claim they listen to their fans and come out like the good guys.
Thats a good point. I never thought about them backing off from that a bit as sales declined. But I doubt its quite near the time for them to do that. They are still selling the game for $50-$60.

I dunno it seems like it's a perfect time to back off of RMAH. I'm not necessarily talking about sales as I am about interest and player participation. Just as player interest starts to wane is the time to scale back all roads lead to RMAH. It provides a surge of interest in the game from current and former players, and it brings in new people who are avoiding the game due to the RMAH backlash. So instead of 90% of inferno players being forced to farm forever or turn to the auction house, it might drop down to 5% visiting the RMAH, but that's a sustainable level of the population that won't get pissed off and quit.

News Comments > Star Wars: 1313 on Hold?
18. Re: Star Wars: 1313 on Hold? Mar 1, 2013, 23:25 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 03:55:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 21:44:
There's a huge audience waiting to buy updated versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter.
No. There's a small, vocal audience wanting to buy updated versions of X-Wing. Meanwhile there's a large audience waiting to buy Star Wars CoD, Star Wars Halo, or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3.

Star Wars doesn't get to skip the fact that any kind of successful game needs to include consoles, and only certain genres are currently selling on consoles. Space sims are not among those.

I'd be perfectly happy with Republic Commando 2. That game had fantastic atmosphere. I still play it from time to time.

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
9. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 23:21 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 20:54:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:37:
Heres a fucking idea, get rid of the Auction House that no one asked for and make better item drops.

Bam, fixed your fucking game Blizzard. Send my check in the mail.

Dipshits.

Are you new here, or to gaming in general?

As much as the AH is arguably a failure, it is somethings hundreds of thousands (I counted and verified identities) of gamers asked, begged, and pleaded for...

Personally, I vend everything I don't need, because I don't want to waste time 'playing the AH', so you can imagine how much less likely it would have been for me to use the old, much-more-effort-required system of spamming 'trade chat' or the like.

-Alamar

An auction hall? Yes that was asked for. A real money auction hall meant to monetize the fuck out of the game? Not so much.

What's going on is that Blizzard probably never intended for the RMAH to be a dominant, permanent fixture. As D3 wanes, they'll back away from monetizing it so hard. Yeah sure it'll still be there, but they made their millions and can ease back on all roads leading to the RMAH, figuring that in doing so they can claim they listen to their fans and come out like the good guys.

2181 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo