Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2176 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row 4 CE Survey
12. Re: Saints Row 4 CE Survey Mar 21, 2013, 03:56 Flatline

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 02:13:
The game WAS going to be an expansion, NOT DLC, an expansion. Then they decided to put the EXTRA effort in to make it a FULL sequel. We will soon see, but lets not be a bunch of whiny bitches about it, hey Cutter?

Cutter would be pretty quiet on the boards if he cut out *all* his negativity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC
9. Re: Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC Mar 20, 2013, 17:22 Flatline

Brumbek wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 21:29:
I just really dislike them portraying Washington this way. It is basically slander. I'm ok with alternate history games like saying the Nazis took over the world because the Nazis were trying for this very thing. Or even Lincoln Vampire Hunter because it is a total joke concept.

But to take a real historical figure and misrepresent him so utterly...Washington refused to be King in real life. It just strikes me as crossing a line. You'd get sued if you represented a living figure in this manner...I guess I just don't like people misrepresenting history in such a serious manner.

Lighten up Francis!

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Mar 20, 2013, 14:17 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:37:
The game argument is coming from a screenwriter.

Yeah, those guys who have to turn out products that 95% of the time fall within 75-120 minutes in length.

Here's the thing. If you're going to charge me 60 bucks for 4 hours of gameplay time, that story/experience better be among one of the most moving experiences ever in my life. It better shine above other games and movies and books because you're asking an awful fucking lot of my money.

It's a simple rule of thumb for me: I should get more hours of entertainment out of a game than it took me to earn the money. And when I say entertainment, I don't mean *just* playing. If I discuss the game for an hour with friends because it was mind-bending, then yeah, that's entertainment.

Bastion was a fantastic game. Short enough not to wear out it's welcome, well made, and it was what, 4 hours? But I only spent 10-15 bucks on it. It stuck with me for a long, long time after I played it, and I wonder if I had paid 60 bucks for it if it would have.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Feds and warrants Mar 19, 2013, 18:42 Flatline

Axis wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 13:04:
Bodolza wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:23:
ACLU vs. Obama administration. I can hear the sound of conservative heads exploding as they try to figure out which side to root for.

Its just a shame Obama and his cronies have their base so convinced that Government, and not the people, is the solution. And the more power citizens give these political creeps, republicans OR democrats, we lose.

*shrugs* Obama is a corporatist. Substantially there's not a huge amount of daylight between him and the GOP. He's continued on most of W's surveillance and wiretapping and information gathering from the post 9/11 hysteria period where all someone had to say was "TERRORISTS!" and we'd fork over our rights wholesale.

Every presidential administration has pushed for more unilateral, unsupervised authority, clear back to Lincoln with suspension of Habeas Corpus and probably even earlier if we're going to be frank about it. It's up to a robust, healthy legislature and judicial system to push back and balance against the unilateralism. For 10 years we were all on the "TERRORISTS!" fear wagon, and now the legislature is so fundamentally broken that it can't push back because it's totally paralyzed. The result being that the Executive branch almost *has* to act unilaterally, which is a terrible, terrible thing.

The legislative branch needs to get it's head out of it's ass and ironically not stonewall *everything* the president does. When he acts within his power limitations they should negotiate and compromise like they've always done, so that stonewalling actually *means* something when it happens.

There's a reason why Congress and the Senate are less popular than cancer.

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
28. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 17:29 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:34:
yonder wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:28:
It's gotten to the point where EA is pretty much the AOL of the gaming world. I was reading PC World's "Worst Tech Products Of All Time" list and AOL was #1.

"How do we loathe AOL? Let us count the ways. Since America Online emerged from the belly of a BBS called Quantum "PC-Link" in 1989, users have suffered through awful software, inaccessible dial-up numbers, rapacious marketing, in-your-face advertising, questionable billing practices, inexcusably poor customer service, and enough spam to last a lifetime. And all the while, AOL remained more expensive than its major competitors."

That list is pretty much completely accurate when applied to EA's gaming. *sigh*
The main difference between the two is that AOL spent millions sending out millions of free CDs floppy disks.

FTFY. At one point probably 80% of my floppy disks were AOL floppy disks. Whenever I would need more disks I'd just call them up and ask for their setup disks. It was kind of awesome actually.

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
13. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:31 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 15:59:
Oof, yeah, like 4% to your goal half-way through the campaign...

It's easy to see why. Spend money to kickstart a project whose business model is basically microtransactions after you start the game.

Pay money way up front so I can keep on paying money to play your game is a shitty business model.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 14:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:40:
Well, SRR has already let down a ton of people with the silly, cartoon styled NPCs. Bad decisions like that do nothing to bolster confidence in the overall finished product. I suspect in the next 2-3 years as things roll out and people aren't happy with them that KS is going to slow down dramatically and it'll be quite a bit harder to achieve funding.

People who bitch about the cartoon styled NPCs need to look at SR 1 & 2's artwork. It's spot on to a significant amount of SR artwork.

And perhaps they tried more "realistic" characters and they didn't work. They need to be instantly identifiable, and need to jump out of what can be a pretty busy background. Look at Team Fortress 2: Part of it's success was specifically the idea that characters register.

In fact, there's a great comparison for SRR: The x-box shadowrun game. Shrink all those characters down to 1-inch avatars and see if they get muddled and detail is lost. I suspect they'll look like shit.

Edit: Yeah, pull up image search at google, search "shadowrun xbox" and look at all the tiled pictures. The "realistic" characters look muddled and like shit when they're about the size of SRR's avatars.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed
10. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed Mar 13, 2013, 14:37 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:35:
Exactly, unless it's co-op I see it as a pointless waste of time and resources that could be better served on the SP portion of the game. I'd rather see a good, easy to use editor than MP.

Let's see... sandbox, supposedly highly detailed city pre-poupulated (or easily populated) with adversaries... Yeah how do you *not* do co-op?

Pick a building, activate it's security system, populate with bad guys, put a McGuffin in one of the rooms (a security terminal you have to hack, an asset you have to extract, an assassination target, whatever), and spawn your players randomly throughout the city. If they can talk to each other, they rendezvous somewhere, recon the joint, pick up the equipment they need from their fence, and proceed to do a run on the procedurally generated target.

I'd probably lose immense amounts of my life in such a system.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:40 Flatline

So how many days do you think it'll be before Blizzard patches the game for balance reasons to the point that they entirely undo the "balancing" that they've been doing for the last 2 years?

I never understood that with Starcraft. Yeah we'll sit on the f*cking game for 2+ years "polishing" it and "balancing" it, and in the first month we'll get more real-world feedback on balance than in our entire development cycle, rendering that 2 year wait pointless.

I wonder if it's just meant to build up hype, or if the devs really don't give a shit about shipping product in a timely manner.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
17. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 04:00 Flatline

I found the AI to be annoying and potentially cheating. Last game I played I conquered like half the galaxy, had three opponents left, one declared war on me and I was forced to turn my entire empire towards creating fleets because the enemy went from like tier 2 ship fleets to top tier (4 I think?) in like 4 turns, and my defenses weren't enough.

And I created them like crazy. All the way up to top tier ships bristling with weaponry that should have outclassed the two enemies, who had maybe half the number of worlds I did, combined.

But over the course of a few hours it became clear that the game was rubber banding the AI fleets. Simply put, they were building at about 3 times the rate I was. I'd assemble massive fleets, and only get *maybe* one world into their empire, having defeated their gargantuan fleet, and then like 1 turn later an even larger fleet would be "built", and come clean the living bejeebus out of my remainder fleet and start their way towards conquering my empire. I'd then crush their fleet, but it was always a stalemate, and eventually I got bored and quit the game, uninstalled it, and never went back.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, there's a general firepower rating to compare fleets. My fleets would have firepower in the 7000 range or something like that and the enemy fleets would be sub-1000, but still manage to generate a billion ships and wear my fleets down by attrition every 2 turns or so.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
36. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 14:30 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 05:09:
Here's my problem. People can dig into ANY story and rip the shit out of it if they dig deep enough. Particularly video game stories, because the narrative is broken up by gameplay that is generally played differently by everyone.

Of the action shooters, FPS or TPS, which ones exactly have "great" stories that Max Payne 3 is supposed to hold up to? Stories of action games are there to provide one thing, set pieces for battle. If they succeed without being absolutely ridiculous without the gameplay sucking, it's a win.

Regarding your idea...seriously, that's your story suggestion? You want Max Payne to give up the one singular thing that keeps Max Payne who is, his conscious? His morality of right and wrong? To be a murderer? Working for the same types of scum that had his family killed? Being no better than the people that killed his family?

Don't bother criticising stories when you clearly have no idea what even makes the character a character.

Dude Max Payne has killed hundreds if not thousands of people. He's killed gangbangers, italian mafia, russian mafia, police officers, military officials, police detectives, CEOs, government politicians, private bodyguards, professional assassins, you name it he's killed it. How many of his victims were just average, decent people who were drawing a paycheck and had the misfortune not to call in sick that day?

My point is, how *can* he have a conscience at this point?

And I can easily see him falling into a grey area where he kills bad guys for other bad guys... shit that's all he actually did in MP2 and MP3. Kill one set of bad guys for another set of bad guys. Man of honor among a den of thieves kind of shit. It's noir enough. You can keep max thinking he's being semi-virtuous by having his own code of conduct but still making him a heel.

It's better than listening to him whine emo bullshit for 10 hours.

Edit: MP is trying to find absolution; at first it's rest from the torment of his family's death, then it's absolution from the fucking murder-machine he's become (He tries to find that absolution in Mona, who is a fucking assassin, which is already hinting that for the right price he'll accept being a plague on two legs). In MP3, he tries to find peace at the bottom of a whiskey bottle, before saying "fuck it that won't work" and finding peace in accepting that he kills more people than smallpox. It might work for a period of time, and MP4 is him trying to balance that feeling of peace with his conscience.

Remember- The ultimate responsibility for Max's family's death was the Aesir Corp chick with ties to the government- not some random crime element. The actual system itself is corrupt and that's what got Max's family murdered. So maybe Max goes all Yojimbo and starts pitting bad guy groups against each other in MP4, having to work back and forth between them. If we keep the first half of Max Payne 3 from Rockstar, which I'm fine with because it's a good set up, he's already basically ronin- he's left the NYPD behind. He still thinks he's walking a separate path, but by the end of the game he sees himself as more heel than good guy, and that sets him up for his redemption.

But you're right. Having a static character that never changes over a half dozen games is WAY more interesting than having a character arc.

Edit 2: And before you bitch about invoking Yojimbo and how that's not Noir, Kurosawa was open about adapting a Dashiell Hammett noir film called The Glass Key for plot in the movie.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 14:46.

27. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 02:26 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 20:31:
Flatline, you seem to recall the story relatively well except for one major point of your complaining. He was beating himself up because he failed to protect those that he was hired to protect, just like he was incapable of protecting his family...DESPITE being a bad-ass (as we see him). He partially blames being drunk on the job for his failures, quits drinking...then with a clearer head starts to over-analyze his faults. He does not see himself as a bad-ass that can take on dozens of gunman, when the outcome is he fails to protect those he is supposed to and lives himself.

Yeah but it broke the themes of MP 1 & 2, and for the worse I thought.

Max wasn't a particularly sympathetic protagonist in this game, and while I'm fine with that, alienating him from the gamer by whining and being constantly emo isn't the way to do it in my book.

For a game that's supposed to be film noir, it missed a lot of the subtlety that makes noir compelling. It's you sat someone down and exposed them to film noir via homage skits, and then had them write an entire noir story down from their MTV 90 second bite comprehension.

If I was going to rewrite this, I'd probably keep Sao Paulo, that's fine, and make it a story that starts with Max trying to protect the family, failing pretty much, and going full dark/demon. Play a strong female lead off of that to derail him from his epic self destruction/murder spree, and make the bad guy fully aware of Max's "talents", intending to use them to clean up Sau Paulo's seedier areas and using Max as the battering ram to start the process so that he can gain more political power.

At that point I don't even care about the ending, there's multiple satisfying ways for the game to end, from Max dying to his getting derailed from his revenge to killing everyone and then going after the BBEG for putting the original family in harm's way... whatever...

Edit: I'd actually contemplate leaving Max a bad guy at the end of this. Call it Max Payne 3: The corruption of Max Payne, with the 4th game having max play it straight heel and rising quickly through the ranks of the criminality he has come to accept in his nihilistic point of view. The Max Payne 5: Breaking the Cycle deals with Max's redemption, either ending in his death or something else dramatically appropriate.

Then you call the entire series The Payne Cycle and do game magazine interviews for the next 20 years.

15. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:08:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:26:
I enjoyed MP3 thought it was a good game. I know some thought the game was lacking.

It's not so much that it was lacking. Lengthwise it was pretty good, the story was decent, the action is balls-to-the-walls Max Payne, and it's a genuinely difficult game, especially at Hard.

It's just that the game NEVER.EVER.EVER.STOPS interrupting you every 10 seconds with a fucking cutscene. Empty hallway? Cutscene of Max walking through the empty hallway. Door? Cutscene of Max opening the door. Group of baddies in a room? Cutscene of Max WALKING INTO THE FUCKING ROOM with his dick out and going "HIYA FELLAS! WHY YOU SHOOT AT MAX?!"

Ugh. I hate games that take away your control constantly. At one point you're in this bar in this shitty favela, talking to some dude, and you see four bad guys come in.

Cutscene unfolds of Max trying his best to make the bad guys leave him alone, which, surprise surprise, doesn't work. Queue you being given control while a baddie with a sawed-off shotgun fires at you. You have approximately 0.5 seconds to initiate a shootdodge or you're dead. And even then you're in bad shit because it's a small bar and the bad guys don't fuck around.

Why couldn't this simply unfold in-game? So if I want to see the 'cutscene', it acts out in-game, but at any one point I can choose to just open fire. Because I would have opened fire the second those bad guys walked in the door.

NOOOOPE.

Fuck. I tried to replay it a few months ago, stopped after about half an hour and my 30th cutscene.

It's a good GAME, when it allows you to play it. Sadly, that's only for about 20% of the entire time you'll spend in it.

Creston

That's totally because of the console port limitations. Those levels are about as big as modern consoles can support.

My problem is that this isn't Max Payne, it's Die Hard without the humor, and the writers truly didn't get Max.

About a third of the way through the game I was fucking done with hearing his self-loathing bullshit, talking about how he's some fat old drunk with no game, and then the cutscene would end and I'd fucking take on 20 paramilitary guys without taking a scratch in a ballet of death, and the next cutscene he's moaning his fucking ass off about how pathetic he is again. Total disconnect of game from story.

I was waiting for the game to get all Man on Fire and have Max accept that he is a fucking demon. For two games Max had been more or less denying his fate/nature, and it's that almost as much as his family that leads him to his drinking and downward spiral. He realizes on another level that he's doing shit he never really should be doing, but does it anyway because there's nothing else to do. But in MP3, that all goes out the window when it could have been a beautiful crystallization of Max finally selling his soul to the devil as it were because good people needed him to be a bad man. But it never happens. The inch-thick layer of self pity never lets Max be Max.

The plot was also insanely complicated to the point of only being understandable moment to moment. The overall plot I guess is

Spoiler:
The brother wants the other brother's money, so he can run for some government office, and is involved in organ traffiking, and... other shit. It's all kind of a smear.

Compared to taking down a government backed drug cartel in the first game and the fucking Illuminati in the second game, this story, while "grittier", is kind of a letdown.

The action though was great, the gunplay a lot of fun, and aside from the boring-as-fuck favala/paramilitary slum levels were interestingly designed and pleasing to move through.

As a 3rd person shooter it's good stuff, as a Max Payne game... it's just... not there. Rockstar made Die Hard: Brazil, and not MP.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
5. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 9, 2013, 16:30 Flatline

siapnar wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 16:06:
Save some for the other starving creative projects.

Goddamnit it yeah how dare you buy something you want to play!

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
26. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:29 Flatline

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 17:30:
Half a million dollars, and they're just reskinning XCOM.
Just wait... runners will have to launch Battleites to avoid getting double crossed by Johnsons.

Congratulations everyone, you just funded Mitch Gitelman 2.0

I'm out.

*kicks garbage can next to exit, dramatically dumping nothing*

Buh-bye!!!

PS: It's more like 1.8 million, not half a million.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
25. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 8, 2013, 19:28 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 16:42:
Jerykk wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
Environmental art isn't bad but could be grittier. Character art is horrenedous. What is this? A kids cartoon? Too much combat focus. Dialogue looks poor so far. Standard Bioware G/N/E responses. So yeah, at this point I'm really beginning to regret my investment.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any RPG that doesn't have a combat focus. Even PST has a lot of mandatory combat. That said, if you listened to the narration, you would have realized that there are non-combat opportunities in the demo. The street thug fight could have been avoided if the player had enough charisma and the interior fight could have likely been avoided if the player had a disguise.

It would be boring without combat but it's another thing when that's the main focus. And the dialogue seems to be very Bioware...so far. Limited G/N/E, one or two sentence conversations because god forbid anyone should have to read some real dialogue. So far I'm not impressed. The saving grace *may* be the editor. However, that all depends on how difficult it is to use and the amount of assets involved.

Wow. You're seriously judging an entire game based off of a 20 minute alpha clip of a side mission. Why aren't you playing the stock market with that kind of predictive skill?

Tell ya what. If you don't like the dialogue in the mission... write your own fucking mission. That's what the mission editor will be for. The damn thing is drag & drop. You can finally show us how the game *should* be.

News Comments > Co-op a "Big Focus" of Diablo III 1.0.8
5. Re: Co-op a Mar 8, 2013, 02:57 Flatline

Darks wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:52:
PHJF wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 21:37:
Improve farming efficiency?

My my my how low Diablo has fallen.

Yep, that’s why they are changing the loot all over again. To force players to go out and re farm the shit out of the game again.. The note about town portaling was funny to me, the reason people go back to town so much is because the fucking games inventory is so small. How about they make that shit bigger?

It's amazing how much shit you could cram into that horadric cube in D2. It was like a bag of holding.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
45. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 02:53 Flatline

MisterBenn wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 01:06:
These early problems with always online AAA games are not going to go away. It's always cheaper to plan server capacity based upon expected levels at the 1 week or month mark rather than spend extra for the initial surge and then decommission or reallocate servers afterwards. You just need to explain away the problems until the surge dies down and then congratulate yourselves on the budget savings.

Err... yes, but at the same time it might cost a couple grand to handle the initial surge of players and avoid negative publicity. I mean, you already have a master copy of the virtualized server, you just allocate more resources at your server host and fucking hit "turn on" and 10 minutes later you're golden. As soon as server demand drops you cull the surplus virtual servers.

But I forgot. Your city is bound to the server you play on. So there's that. Because just being able to log in anywhere and retrieve your save game isn't good enough.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
120. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:28 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 18:10:
Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:57:
ASeven wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:33:
And Chris Taylor (and numerous idiots) announced the death of Kickstarter when his project failed.

HAH! Crowdfunding is here to stay.
I don't get the hatred and vitriol towards crowdfunding from people who aren't even in publishing business. Its like they can't WAIT for this stuff to fail horribly and are gleefully standing around with a gas can to pour onto the fire when a project goes south.

There WILL be projects that fail. It doesn't mean the rest will, or that crowdfunding is stupid and should die and go away in a year. Its like investing in a startup. Protip, they sometimes fail.
KS's model of only funding if it reaches the goal reduces a lot of crap from getting funded. People are also expected to use a modicum of common sense, if something doesn't sound legit... guess what? It might not be!

The main reason for this hatred directed at crowdfunding from certain sectors of the entertainment industry is, I believe, simple to explain.

Crowdfunding threatens the status quo of publishers, gaming and otherwise. The dinosaurs don't want anything to threaten their ancient business model and crowdfunding is the biggest threat to classic publishing yet. It threatens the whole status quo of the publishing world and hence a lot of corporate people and their cronies can't wait to see this new model fail and fail hard. Bad news for them though, due to the nature of this model this can never, ever fail.

Crowdfunding isn't going to completely wipe out the old publishing model. Let's be honest, Wasteland 2 and Torment are going to be B list games at best in the grand scheme of things. They're made for literally in some cases 1-2% of the budget of AAA titles. Not to say they won't be fantastic, fun, or pretty to look at, but nobody's raised 50 million on a kickstarter game yet, and until they do, the traditional publisher system isn't going anywhere.

Also, let's not forget that the major KS successes are all carried on the legacies of beloved IPs or developers with legendary track records. And they're only generating a million or two on that. Your average indie developer is going to have issues raising that much money.

Now. That being said. What Kickstarter *can* do is bring back niche games. Seriously. All projects I've backed are either niche boardgames or niche computer games. And that's an AWESOME thing to say.

But I don't delude myself that this is going to bring an end to EA or Ubi or Activision. If I see 100 million go towards a KS video game, yeah I'll start re-evaluating that statement. Until then... not so much, but I'll still get a kick out of what comes out of KS.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
104. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 17:18 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 17:06:
polygon interview
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

A couple good interviews. Here's some tidbits:

InXile believes it has learned a critical lesson from its crowdfunding success. The creative leads at InXile believe that the traditional publisher/developer model of funding video games is broken, and the developer is staking its future on that claim.

and
RPS – Can you talk about why Wizards of the Coast were resistant to licensing Planescape again?

Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didn’t push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldur’s Gate 3 project going.

RPS – Did you meet any resistance when seeking the Torment name?

Fargo: I patiently waited for someone to do something with a Torment concept but nothing happened. After many years the rights expired and allowed me to step in and put together a great team to make another title of its kind. We will improve on the mechanics and deliver a deep narrative story that is deserving of the name Torment.

So apparently the torment trademark was expired which is how they can use that, but they don't have IP from wizards.
And they've tried to do BG3.

Wizards of the Coast is driving D&D into an unmarked grave. It went from 20 million active players at the height of 3rd edition to like 2 million active players according to a court document a few years back at the "height" of 4th edition. Now they're cranking out 5th ed, which is supposed to be this "universal" edition. The beta was fucking terrible. First beta test had material like the cleric who was better at finding and disabling traps than the thief.

But the heads of D&D don't *like* the old settings. Hell, they basically shit-canned *dragonlance*, which kind of boggles the mind. Nobody's willing to even mention Planescape, so it doesn't surprise me that they couldn't get rights to develop in the planescape setting. WOTC and Mearls probably would see a planescape revisit to be harmful to their intention to make D&D Next (what a horrible name) "successful" again.

While I love Planescape, I'm fine with ditching it. D&D is a shadow of it's former glory, and I don't see where using the IP would benefit actually. The tropes that are shackled to D&D are so severe that it'd be limiting instead of beneficiary. Torment was barely D&D anyway.

Also, backed for 20 bucks. I dig the themes they're planning to explore.

2176 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo