Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2175 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
64. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 14:14 Flatline

NKD wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:30:
InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:15:

Iteration? Iteration motherfucker? So explain to me how the fuck you iterated from DiabloII to this goddamn mess....

Do you really need an explanation? 12 years in development never makes a good game. It doesn't give you time to perfect an idea, it gives you time to completely forget the reason you started.

You're forgetting that they were halfway towards Diablo 3 years ago, and then they shit-canned the game and the studio and found fucking fanboys to make the next game.

The problem with putting fanboys in charge of something is that they're going to like certain things and have a highly... polarized view of the game they're working on. Hence "fuck that loser", even though "that loser" was responsible for Jay Wilson's job. Hence all the arrogance, the smugness, and the really, really weird design decisions. This wasn't someone going through and saying "what made Diablo 2 a Great Game? How can we build on that?" It was "OMFG I REMEMBER DOING THIS AND THAT IN DIABLO 2 AND WE HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY NOW BECAUSE I'M IN CHARGE!"

And sadly, you're going to see more of that in the industry as the truly innovative designers age. Diablo 3 is the games version of fanfic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
62. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 14:08 Flatline

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 13:24:
I just hope that Blizzard actually ate some humble pie over this.

When Jay made the "Fuck that loser" comment, in regards to the man who designed Diablo, the thing that struck me was all the people who cheered him on and backed him up on facebook all worked at Blizzard. One of them even bragging that Brevik (the loser of with whom to fuck) never sold that many copies of one of his games.

This is a group of people that started their careers at Blizzard on third base, and thought they hit a triple.

No one bought Diablo 3 because of those people, they bought it because of the reputation the first two games had. When you take a close non-troll look at Diablo 3 it is an utter shell of the former games. The one thing they got right was the "feel" of the game. Combat can be fun. The problems quickly pile up beyond that.

The "randomization" in the levels is simply a joke. Haveing 2-4 ways for a map to slightly change isn't random. Being able to re-specialize your character at every whim takes any real sense of choice or individuality out of the game. Not only the item drops, but the items themselves just suck. They essentially copied the WoW item formula, and ignored everything that made items interesting in Diablo 2. The auction house was just the shitty icing on the shitty cake. They can express regret about it now, but they tuned the item drops to make the ah the only viable choice to get any upgrades at a certain point.

What happened to the game they showed in all of those early demonstrations? It actually looked fun.

If they do put out a paid expansion for this game, I will not be buying it. Nearly a year in and there isn't even the PVP game they hyped. Battle.net 2.0 is a 100% step back compared to the old system they used to run on dial-up modems FFS.

Yeah pretty much all this.

I don't buy that the AH behavior was unexpected at all, unless Blizzard suddenly took to drinking large amounts of Laudanum throughout the day. The *entire* game was designed to funnel towards the AH.

Sad thing is, I uninstalled Path of Exile. It seemed fun and then I... just lost interest. Other things came out worth playing, and my time is at a premium. I guess the Diablo-style games just aren't doable any more for me. I don't have that kind of time to waste farming shit.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
100. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 28, 2013, 23:56 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 23:37:
So how long did it take you to finish? I tend to poke a bit and explore, but hope to really get rolling this weekend.

Really does seem like a fantastic game, and it's made me nostalgic to see Rapture again...they both really do seem like these amazing worlds.

I tried *really* hard to be exhaustive, and I think I came in around 12 hours on medium. I wasn't exhaustive though. I missed 15 or so voice records, a half dozen film station/binoculars, and a couple of secret rooms, and didn't die much. So if you get them all, probably figure close to 15 hours, especially on Hard.

I'll replay on 1999 mode too.

Part of the problem was that right around when Elizabeth has her costume change in the plot (no spoilers) I kind of threw up my hands and went with it like it was a roller coaster. I wasn't nearly as exhaustive as I was in the second half of the game.

And they absolutely fixed the "best part of the game was 2/3 through" that Bioshock had with confronting Ryan. The best parts of the story get saved for right up to the ending, and I appreciate it a LOT.

However, I have a lot of questions about the story. Not bad questions, but more along the lines of "what does this implicate?" questions.

But yeah, explore, look at the artwork, the engravings, the windows, there's a lot of storytelling going on. Go through the carnival in the beginning, let Elizabeth explore the beach. It doesn't seem like much but it lets the world really help come to life.

98. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 28, 2013, 23:30 Flatline

HOLY FUCK I JUST FINISHED THE GAME.

No spoilers, but I was shouting at the screen at one point.

I only wish... no I won't say anything. But people who have finished the game probably share the same wish that I did.

Most of the time game endings are letdowns, or anti-climactic. Yeah, the ending was a prolonged cutscene, but it worked really, really, really well. Probably the most satisfying ending in a game that I can remember, and that's saying something considering that I thought Spec Ops had a strong ending.

Between the original BioShock and BS:Infinite, I almost have to give the nod to BS:Infinite. Yeah it's rehashed the combat, but if you play to the end there's sort of real reasons why BS:Infinite feels a little derivative. While I dug Rapture... I wasn't left with questions and contemplation like I was with Infinite.

Edit: Ken Levine is probably my favorite game developer of all time. The worlds he builds are enduring, interesting, and fantastic.

News Comments > SimCity 2.0 Plans
7. Re: SimCity 2.0 Plans Mar 28, 2013, 23:23 Flatline

I'm still trying to figure out how you ship with all these issues still in the code. I can *sort* of understand getting bushwhacked on the servers. Well okay not really but that in theory is something you're predicting and is beyond your immediate influence.

But these are fundamental, underlying bugs that are showing up on everyone's game. The idea that they didn't know about these is... odd.

I can only really suspect that this was a "ship now, patch later" game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2013, 16:48 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 12:13:
I wish they'd stop calling it a fucking sport. It's not a sport, guys. It's a fucking GAME.

Creston

Amen.

Then again I'm not a huge sports fan to begin with.

93. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 16:07 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 07:24:
I've played some more and I have to admit the game is getting better. Still not a fan of the whole religious theme.

Equipable gear with bonus effects (new), Vigors (spells) have a primary and alt ability (new). The alt ability so far is just a trap form of the primary attack. There are upgrades in the vending machines. As someone mentioned already though, there doesn't seem to be weapon upgrades.

Control on the rails is solid. I was a little worried about this.

Lots of little things to praise, but also lots of little things to complain about too. Lack of modern graphical features aside, the game looks great. The artists did an amazing job.

There are weapons upgrades. There are 3 types of vending machines: Tonic enhancers, weapon enhancers, and item shops.

And yes, you can possess the vending machines and they'll puke up money. But it's like 10 bucks. Not enough unless you've got a bunch of salts in the area.

Also, the tonics interact. Hit someone with your crows and then electrocute them, and you have shock crows. There's other interactions I won't go into, but you have to experiment. That's why you have two tonic quickslots: so you can give them a 1-2 tonic punch.

News Comments > Square Enix Reports "Extraordinary Loss" - President Resigns
49. Re: Square Enix Reports Mar 26, 2013, 16:13 Flatline

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 13:20:
I just don't think I understand company executive politics enough. Just from the blurb it sounds like the company was actually looking to beat or at least match forecasts until they decided to do a $100M restructure in order to better fit the current market. Is that reason enough for resignation? You make a costly decision in the companies best interest and have to resign for it?

Is it perhaps that he should of done this change gradually of the last couple of quarters or pushed the costs into the next fiscal?

How many companies go through a 100 million dollar restructuring? That's an obscene amount of money.

Color me as someone not surprised either. When the latest Final Fantasy MMO came out it was... err... shit. And SE's response was "you're American, you don't have the refined tastes of the Japanese, of course you don't like the game." And then the Japanese hated the game. And SE shit themselves.

My friend has been playing the newest Final Fantasy MMO now for like 18 months without actually paying for it while they tried to "fix" it, and it still is mediocre. The JRPG genre is utterly stagnant and has had no meaningful developments in easily the last 10 years or so, and in that time the mainstream market has moved on from the cookie-cutter JRPG where mindless grinding and the story are separated by plexiglass, where the plot anyway is that you're some spunky misunderstood 13 year old kid who goes on to save the world when an entire army of trained professional adults could never do it. Along the way you assemble a team of kooky-yet-grim companions who tell you that you can do it and they believe in you.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 15:53 Flatline

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 15:42:
Input was really wonky on my Logitech gaming mouse, but I have set the in-game sensitivity to the lowest level, turned off acceleration, and then manually increased the DPI sensitivity levels of the mouse. Afterward, I get a smooth, highly-responsive input.
I hope gaming didn't just peak until the end of the year.
Thinking this is a great game and a proper sequel to Bioshock,
Ray

Same here. Everyone was bitching about the mouse.

The first 30-45 minutes are absolutely fantastic from the moment you see Columbia to when combat starts. Especially when you first leave the rocket. Also, seeing the... drift... in philosophy from that New Garden of Eden to the Society of Crows is interesting.

The art direction is insane. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and I'm taking my time and being a total tourist. At Battleship Bay I caught myself singing along with the calliope music because... it was Tears for Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World. Which I picked up because I let Elizabeth run around the beach and check things out for like 15 minutes. It was bittersweet watching her try all these new little things for the first time.

Haven't gotten much past that, but Elizabeth does a fine job of emoting in the game and her voice acting is top notch.

Also, the brutality involved with skyhook executions... well... your character is not a nice guy.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
30. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 18:16 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 16:36:
PropheT wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 16:30:
Infinite looks great, but I'm kind of struggling with whether or not I want to pay full price for games anymore. A free copy of Xcom to give to my brother is a nice bonus, though (Steam pre-order deal).
GMG just added that too. You get $14 or $15 (depending on if you do cash back or future credit), bioshock 1, x-com, and one extra game (from this list Spec Ops: The Line , Civilization V, BioShock 2, Mafia II or The Darkness II).
And you get a key for the browser pre-order game bonus Industrial Revolution.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

Basically the only thing you don't get compared to steam deal is the TF2 items, instead you get an additional free game.

They also have a 20% off voucher for the season pass
GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

I will likely wait until the price comes down, but all in all this is a pretty good pre-order deal.

Season pass discount doesn't work it looks like.

News Comments > Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month
2. Re: Star Wars The Old Republic Hutts Rise Next Month Mar 25, 2013, 17:15 Flatline

Really? This is the only "new" content that they can make? F*cking "Sucking off the Hutts: Part 2!!! Now with More Hutt Bukkake!"???

This is part of why I can't stand StarWoW.

An entire galaxy full of adventure and characters and untold numbers of species and... All they can do is Hutt wank.

12. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:14 Flatline

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:18:
Cutter....Cutter....Calling Cutter..... *cricket *cricket

I'll just leave this here....hehehe
Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 18:44:
Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

Eh... Cutter's just going to say that because the mainstream media loves it that proves it's a piece of garbage. He lives in a win/win state of hatred and loathing that way.

Edit: Wow... That's a lot of perfect scores. Mostly european though. Interesting. I wonder how much the embargo and IGN's exception hurt the review scores though.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 12:58 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:31:
If Bioshock is a '96%' then what would System Shock be? 110%? Don't get me wrong, Bioshock was a great game, but System Shock was a good deal better. Shodan was so much better of a villain, and the RPG aspects of System Shock were superior to that of Bioshock.

I'm replaying SS2 right now. Enemies that respawn in your field of view, dated graphics engine even at it's release date (mods help this A LOT), a clunky interface, weapons that are unrealistically fragile like toilet paper (A conscious design decision granted), a *terrible* ending after one of the most awesome final levels of all time (and if you're not a hacker, I hope you saved 3 ICE picks, or the game is impossible to finish)...

SS2 is one of my favorite games of all-time, but technically it was a mess. The gameplay isn't particularly smooth or constant, level design was pretty utilitarian, intentionally, and the Body of the Many was a total stumble, even when the game came out. It's got some wrinkles and warts on it.

Compared to Bioshock, it's does less of what it wants to achieve than Bioshock did, although they oddly enough suffered from bad pacing and story for the last 1/4 of the game. Go figure. I don't suggest System Shock 2 universally- I know there's people that absolutely will not like it. Bioshock is a far easier suggestion however for most gamers.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details
16. Re: Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details Mar 25, 2013, 02:25 Flatline

morrow wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 20:29:
Flatline wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 19:04:
Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they were very up-front with specifically what the season pass would encompass, and the only thing that's not part of it thus far is the new character.

So I'm less inclined to bitch.
Gaige (Mechromancer) wasn't part of the season pass either. Nor was the Creature Slaughterdome DLC

True, but one was pre-order DLC and one was free if you bought the game new. So if you pre-ordered from gamestop or wherever, in theory, you got those for free. So you could obtain those for free as well.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details
7. Re: Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details Mar 24, 2013, 19:04 Flatline

Sempai wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 18:59:
Hi all!

My name is Randy "dickbag" Pitchford! I'll sell you a Season Pass that includes only a portion of the actual DLC we're going to nickel and dime your asses for! Yeehaw!

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they were very up-front with specifically what the season pass would encompass, and the only thing that's not part of it thus far is the new character.

So I'm less inclined to bitch.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
36. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 22:42 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 18:19:
Yeah, I'd like to know how everyone gets paid. Is it a pool with base salary then points on additional sales? Who's getting paid what? I'm starting to get really of leery of backing well known designers who are already rich(ish).

So your 25 bucks entitles you to a complete financial breakdown of a company, plus a copy of the game?

Jesus next you're going to want to have developmental control over the project for your "investment".

If employees were getting scammed, I imagine we'd hear about it as projects finished or people quit.

And we're *still* talking about peanuts when it comes to funding game development. If someone raised 20 million and put out a game looking like Wasteland 2, yeah I'd cry shenanigans, but we're talking about a dozen or more people working for 18 months on 2-4 million bucks. There's not a lot of room for embezzlement and still turning out a decent looking product, which is what you're basically insinuating.

But I forgot, that's common sense. It's far more entertaining to imagine a 20 hour game being created on 250 grand and the rest being kept by a moustache-twirling villain.

News Comments > SimCity Patch
2. Re: SimCity Patch Mar 22, 2013, 22:35 Flatline

Still no cheetah speed though.

Which is awesome since it turns out that the game 99% runs on the client side.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
29. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 15:15 Flatline

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:05:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:21:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:33:
Somehow, I seriously doubt that they will be using the funds from this game fully. When they sit here and defend that they we will be using the funds just for the game. That raises a red flag to me. And 700K to add Chris, I dont see it.

Are you high? There are several stretch goal in between the current funding level and the Chris Avellone stretch goal so they aren't spending even remotely near 700k on hiring Chris Avellone + a lot of the money is being spent on other things like art, animation, code, etc to go with his writing/design work.

So even the 150k between the prior stretch goal and the Chris Avellone stretch goal isn't Chris's fee. 150k USD more in pledges implies more Amazon and kickstarter fees and more used on rewards. So the budget of the game won't be increased by that full amount.

Excuse me for not believing you, but you sound like an advocate supporter or work for them. My feelings on Kick starters are there are no checks and balances on how they are using the money.

Just because someone puts up a KS page and says I need 1 Million to make this happen, does not mean that they are using all of that money to fund the project. Itís idiotic to even assume that they are using all of the money as they say they are.

Are you sure you are not one of their stretch goals?

So don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Of course, when the game is released, if it's good, you'll buy it anyway and forget all your bitching. Because gamers are generally hypocrites like that.

News Comments > OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch!
15. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:13 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:43:
I feel bad for all the investors who got conned into thinking that this would be some kind of gaming revolution....on second thought....nah I dont. Fuck those losers.

Where's that vocal asshole who went into great technical detail about how we were all wrong about OnLive, that it was the greatest thing evar, and that we'd never notice the lag because there's already lag between the controller and the console (forgetting that lag is, generally, additive, and not subtractive.)?

I'd really like to see his postmortem.

Also, OnLive *might* have succeeded in South Korea, where they're aiming to have gigabit to everybody's home in the next 10 years, but here in 'Murrica, where 512k DSL is still considered "blazing fast broadband!", it was a disaster waiting to happen.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 CE Survey
12. Re: Saints Row 4 CE Survey Mar 21, 2013, 03:56 Flatline

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 02:13:
The game WAS going to be an expansion, NOT DLC, an expansion. Then they decided to put the EXTRA effort in to make it a FULL sequel. We will soon see, but lets not be a bunch of whiny bitches about it, hey Cutter?

Cutter would be pretty quiet on the boards if he cut out *all* his negativity.

2175 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo