Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2116 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change
16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Login Change Mar 6, 2013, 16:25 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 14:48:
sauron wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:38:
My old FFXI guildies are trying to get me to go back and play FFXIV with them, but I'm not buying it - looks too static and old-fashioned. Nice folks but I think I'm over the old-school MMO thing.

Don't do it, it's just not fun. Some friends did the same with me and I uninstalled shortly after.

I don't ever recall FF11 being "fun" either. It was more like a second job that I had to pay to perform.

I have a friend that spent like 2 *years* in-game. They have a timer that lets you know how long you've been playing. I never heard anything cool about the game, only bitching about how expensive and how BS and how time consuming everything was.

Not to mention the bullshit stuff like Pandemonium Warden, which in it's original incarnation required a concerted effort for over 18 hours before admitting defeat.

Or the chocobo training that required you to log in every 7 hours to get maximum results. Yeah, so you'd be waking up mid-sleep cycle to fucking jerk off your chocobo and keep him happy.

Or charging a dollar for every character slot.

The list goes on and on. I *tried* to get into it, but my linkshard basically told me that I'd need to PUG until I level capped and then they'd play with me. Which I hate doing. And apparently you must group in FF11 or get your ass kicked almost immediately.

Nothing fun about it. At least in Eve Online I had fun for like 45 minutes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Mar 6, 2013, 14:12 Flatline

PETA has around a 90% kill rate for it's animal shelters.

http://tinyurl.com/7u63x4x

It's hard to take any hyper-pro-animal organization seriously that kills thousands of animals a year.

Plus, whaling was pretty much why countries went to sea for like 300 years. It'd be hard to do a nautical game that didn't touch on the whaling industry in the age of sail. The only odd thing about it in this period is that I'm not sure that the Caribbean is known as a whaling ground. Usually the North Atlantic and South Pacific waters were known as "fisheries" (There's others, like the Kamchatka Sea that I'm missing). Plus, a privateering ship is not a whaling ship by any stretch.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2013, 13:45 Flatline

Bill Borre wrote on Mar 6, 2013, 12:53:
The story doesn't sound plausible. For one thing, prior to 9/11, getting through that door probably would not have posed much challenge. For another, systematically murdering the crew would likely incense the passengers.

The most rational thing for the terrorists to have done would have been to simply lie to everyone that they were hijacking the plane. "Everyone stay calm and no one will get hurt." The passengers literally would not know what hit them until they slammed into the concrete and steel of the tower.

There's a lot of conflicting reports. Some reports of box cutters, stabbings, etc... from passengers and flight attendants on cell phones before the crashes reported things like that. There were also reports of chemical sprays and claims of a bomb.

But still, the TSA is just security theater.

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
42. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:35:
Ratty wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:17:
I know everyone loves Dishonored

I don't. I thought the first level (the prison break one) sucked, then the next one in the city was fantastic, and I had a great time. And then they sent me right back to the EXACT SAME LEVEL for the next mission. I slogged through it, got annoyed, quit, and haven't played it again since.

I keep looking at it and think "I really need to finish Dishonored." Then I go play something else.

Creston

The point where you are captured and lose all your gear *gasp!* was where I quit playing.

Actually I take that back I played one level later and was bored out of my skull at the limited nature of the levels. When they were open wide it rocked, but when they boiled down to "pathways" it sucked donkey balls and I quit playing.

28. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 14:13 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:55:

DX:HR was a good game but it was far from "awesome". It's predecessor was awesome.

Deus Ex Invisible War sucked shit through a tube.

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
41. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:14 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:17:
Sempai wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:10:
The games business is a giant cluster fuck.
This news makes me want to cry because i enjoyed the hell out of this series, even three.

Something needs to change in this industry, these giant publishers need to go away and the model needs to find a way to be reborn.
The sheer amount of abuse and burnout in the industry is telling.
I respect these teams so much, and yet publishers like EA treat them like disposable dogshit.

This business needs a union of some sort that will protect these people from this constant and never ending abuse. I don't know..i don't have the answers..

A union isn't the answer. A union will get you what Hollywood has - contract workers rather than employees. That's even worse than what we have now.

EA isn't as much of a problem as they were, anyway. They do far less buying and razing awesome studios these days. They don't have the buying power, but I think they've learned that lesson. A bit.
The issue now is more just a function of no one understanding what to do about how much it costs to make a game with cutting edge graphics. Most studios decided the way to handle that is by reducing single player to 6-7 hours.

It isn't just games dealing with this, either. Look at Hollywood now. The most expensive movies of all time are the ones heaviest with CGI - movies like Oz Great and Powerful which is 100% greenscreened cost over $200MM. Nuts. And then the artists doing those effects get laid off and the studios get closed weeks after winning awards.
Don't know the answer. Industry leading computer visuals are just extremely expensive...

Next Gen needed to be about streamlining the production pipeline and really focusing on creating tools that work with the console/platform to reduce the time required for game creators to make content. Instead, we're chasing higher and higher graphical fidelity, and at some point we're going to hit a weird equilibrium where we *can* make better looking games, but it'll simply cost *way* too much to make games at that high of fidelity.

We're starting to see that now actually I think. My gaming laptop is a year or two old now, but it still runs pretty much *everything* I throw at it. I figure that Crysis 3 would run like shit, but there's not many games focusing on that level of graphical fidelity. I'm looking at my steam list of current games and most of them back off of that level of absurd level of detail in favor of artistic liberties, and look the better for it.

13. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:06 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:33:

Holy Dishonored, Batman!

I just looked at the art assets and you're right, it looks like they ripped off Dishonored.

Also, a compound bow? BOO. BOO I SAY.

12. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 13:04 Flatline

Yakubs wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 12:55:
Yay, another crap game with a classic game's name incoming. Gee, I really wish I could be a part of THAT proud development team.

If I had a quarter for every fucking fantasy setting that suffered from a mysterious plague, I wouldn't have to work. If I had a nickel for every fantasy setting that suffers from a tyrannical baron or duke or king, my entire family could retire.

So far I'm not thrilled with what I'm seeing. Thief games didn't have "multiple paths" through levels, they just had open levels and you went nuts in them within the limits of your equipment.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
9. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 5, 2013, 02:37 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 20:53:
They must have offered him a decent chunk of money, as not many developers would want to work for a prick like Brad Wardell.

Yeah after that Glenn Beck episode I promised not to ever bother with another Stardock game. Which is sad, but it means that I avoided stuff like the code abortion that was Elemental.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details
27. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 18:08 Flatline

ShakyJake wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 17:34:
Dawn of the 18th century? Call me a pedant, but that would put it in the early 1700s. If the game is supposed to take place around the era of the Napoleonic wars, then it should have been called "Dawn of the 19th century".

Actually the early 1700s would put it towards the end of the golden age of piracy, and right after Queen Anne's War.

The game has nothing to do with the Napoleonic Wars. I think I was the only person saying that'd make a cool setting. France & England pretty much were at war off and on for like 5-600 years. In the Caribbean you also have the Dutch, the Spanish (though they're a shadow of their former power in the West Indies at this point), the Portuguese, and a few other factions that all fucked with each other for about a hundred years.

Edit: The artwork of Edward Teach (Blackbeard) totally needs slow match woven into his beard and hair.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2013, 18:17.

23. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 15:59 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:47:
Flatline wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 15:36:
Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:38:
The last sentence was never in the game, but is apparently revealed in a cgi short movie about the end of Ezio. Anyone have a link to that, by any chance? I never was able to get it from Ubi, even though I was supposed to.

Creston

Assassin's Creed: Embers. It was included in the ipad/iphone card game.

It actually was pretty cool, and a bittersweet ending for Ezio. Definitely had echoes of The Godfather for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL30864YID4

Awesome, thanks man!

Creston

My pleasure. It also cock-teases a Wuxia/Chinese Assassin's Creed that I think most people would spoo themselves to see, though I doubt they'd ever go so far as to do full-on wirework. Though a freerunning Wuxia game would be 8 kinds of awesome.

20. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 15:36 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:38:
The last sentence was never in the game, but is apparently revealed in a cgi short movie about the end of Ezio. Anyone have a link to that, by any chance? I never was able to get it from Ubi, even though I was supposed to.

Creston

Assassin's Creed: Embers. It was included in the ipad/iphone card game.

It actually was pretty cool, and a bittersweet ending for Ezio. Definitely had echoes of The Godfather for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL30864YID4

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
26. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 2, 2013, 18:41 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 23:48:
Whenever we talk about what the fantasy of Diablo is and what we want the core gameplay to be, never do we say “we want players to farm gold and go buy items off the auction house”.

BULLLLCRAP. Because that's sure as heck how you've designed the game!

Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 23:21:
What's going on is that Blizzard probably never intended for the RMAH to be a dominant, permanent fixture. As D3 wanes, they'll back away from monetizing it so hard. Yeah sure it'll still be there, but they made their millions and can ease back on all roads leading to the RMAH, figuring that in doing so they can claim they listen to their fans and come out like the good guys.
Thats a good point. I never thought about them backing off from that a bit as sales declined. But I doubt its quite near the time for them to do that. They are still selling the game for $50-$60.

I dunno it seems like it's a perfect time to back off of RMAH. I'm not necessarily talking about sales as I am about interest and player participation. Just as player interest starts to wane is the time to scale back all roads lead to RMAH. It provides a surge of interest in the game from current and former players, and it brings in new people who are avoiding the game due to the RMAH backlash. So instead of 90% of inferno players being forced to farm forever or turn to the auction house, it might drop down to 5% visiting the RMAH, but that's a sustainable level of the population that won't get pissed off and quit.

News Comments > Star Wars: 1313 on Hold?
18. Re: Star Wars: 1313 on Hold? Mar 1, 2013, 23:25 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 03:55:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 21:44:
There's a huge audience waiting to buy updated versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter.
No. There's a small, vocal audience wanting to buy updated versions of X-Wing. Meanwhile there's a large audience waiting to buy Star Wars CoD, Star Wars Halo, or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3.

Star Wars doesn't get to skip the fact that any kind of successful game needs to include consoles, and only certain genres are currently selling on consoles. Space sims are not among those.

I'd be perfectly happy with Republic Commando 2. That game had fantastic atmosphere. I still play it from time to time.

9. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 23:21 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 20:54:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:37:
Heres a fucking idea, get rid of the Auction House that no one asked for and make better item drops.

Bam, fixed your fucking game Blizzard. Send my check in the mail.

Dipshits.

Are you new here, or to gaming in general?

As much as the AH is arguably a failure, it is somethings hundreds of thousands (I counted and verified identities) of gamers asked, begged, and pleaded for...

Personally, I vend everything I don't need, because I don't want to waste time 'playing the AH', so you can imagine how much less likely it would have been for me to use the old, much-more-effort-required system of spamming 'trade chat' or the like.

-Alamar

An auction hall? Yes that was asked for. A real money auction hall meant to monetize the fuck out of the game? Not so much.

What's going on is that Blizzard probably never intended for the RMAH to be a dominant, permanent fixture. As D3 wanes, they'll back away from monetizing it so hard. Yeah sure it'll still be there, but they made their millions and can ease back on all roads leading to the RMAH, figuring that in doing so they can claim they listen to their fans and come out like the good guys.

3. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 19:44 Flatline

Blizzard should have had random fucking map generation and then I might still be playing it. Speed-running through levels isn't fun.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 19:35 Flatline

So we're not entitled to voice our opinions because that's whiny minority bullshit, but you are?

Pot- Kettle. I think you have some things in common.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
16. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 15:08 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 13:56:

I have no issue with improving background checks or putting additional screens/background checks in place that better screen potential buyers. That actually is logical and makes sense.

I am not for outright bans because we're protected under the 2nd amendment with the right to bare arms and that right is not to be infringed upon. And realistically? Clip size bans will do zero to curb anything. But hey have a field day banning things, and believing the government that they have your "best interests" in mind.

The worst crimes in the history of man have been after governments disarm the populace, and with Obama making this statement today, "I am not a dictator" I shudder at the thought of stripping even more rights and freedoms from American Citizens.

Nixon said something similar that he was not a crook, and we all know how that turned out.

Here's the thing. Rights *can* be impeded. You can't threaten the president's life legally, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, you can't found a religion that's based on raping babies. And that's just a few limitations of the first amendment, which doesn't include any language about "well regulated militias".

The right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins. Which means that I have a right not to get shot by some fuckwad, and *that* right actually trumps the 2nd amendment in legal precedence. And the 2nd amendment already has all kinds of limitations on it. You're not allowed to own biological or chemical weapons, nuclear weapons are straight out, missiles and tanks and grenades are straight out. There's an ocean of weaponry out there that you can't touch.

The stupid thing is that you're invoking the government coming and trying to disarm you. NOBODY IS SAYING THAT. A ban on assault rifles would simply ban the sale of *new* assault rifles. The 50 million or so already owned would still be perfectly legal, would still be able to be sold to private owners, and wouldn't go anywhere. For the record I think that Feinstein's ban proposal was idiotic, and I'm far more willing to try an overhauled background check and other steps before I consider backing the idea of a ban myself, but let's be honest on what a ban will and won't do. It won't take your guns away, it won't curb all or even most of the shootings, but it may mitigate some of the worse shootings. We can't even tell if it'll do that because the NRA got a rider onto a larger law to prevent the funding of gun violence studies, which to me seems absurd and insulting, and I *am* a gun owner.

And really, if I was a dictator, the last thing I'd do is take your .22 or .357 or your piddly-ass assault rifle away. Small price to pay to keep paranoid people like you feeling "secure" and ignoring everything else I'm doing. We've already got missile-toting drones that can orbit in the sky for days at a time watching you, your every post and contribution to the internet is automatically scanned for threat keywords (there's about 8 of them in this post alone, so wave to the FBI agent who is reading what we're saying), and even the police have been militarized past what any individual can amass in an arsenal. So if the government *really* wants to take you out with prejudice, they'll use a drone, or with a tank, or they'll surround your home and launch incendiary grenades into it and let you burn to death as we saw with Dorner the other day. Your guns will do absolutely nothing. Instead of fighting to keep the government responsible, transparent, and accountable for it's actions, we hoarded fucking peashooters in a masturbatory fantasy of killing other Americans to defend "your civil rights".

15. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 14:53 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 13:32:
I mean hell Obama can't even man up and take responsibility on a sequester HE asked for, you honestly expect him to make appropriate choices when it comes to gun violence?

John Boehner on the Sequestration saying "I got 98 percent of what I wanted" courtesy of a CBS interview:

http://tinyurl.com/blqrjwl

If we're going to blame Obama for not manning up, can we blame Boehner too for trying to change history?

6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 02:25 Flatline

Dev wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 22:39:
I RTFA. Congress (fed and state) will never wait for better research to come in. They have to pass laws NOW NOW NOW, without bothering to read them. Like that one Illinois law that was going to let police do yearly warrantless searches to see if people had guns. The excuse from the guy who proposed it was that he didn't know it was in there and hadn't read it.

This is an insanely complex issue that doesn't have simple causal-effect relationships.

Part of the problem is that there's a blackout on funding for wide-reaching gun research at the federal level. For years the CDC and NIH and other federal agencies have been prohibited from offering research funding on guns, which makes wide reaching national studies less likely to occur. So there's not nearly as much data to draw any useful conclusions as there could be.

However, beyond that, even if you *get* good data from elsewhere, it's probably meaningless due to how culturally unique most countries are from each other. A flat firearm ban like Australia and England probably wouldn't do jack shit here in the USA due to our different cultures. Westernized cultures are the outliers on the bell curve of behavior, and US culture is the outlier of the outlier it's starting to turn out.

An excellent read on this concept:

http://tinyurl.com/b9yuhcb

It relates to psychology and economics, but it's easy to see how this relates into the gun debate. Our culture is too amped up on fear, individuality, and hostility to simply make this a guns issue. Tighter gun restriction will result in fewer deaths every year, and there's a nice balance between rational precautions involving sales of guns and lives gained that I think can be made, but that's treating the symptom more than the problem, and a short term solution at that.

To address the issue will require coming at the very most basic neurosis prevalent in our culture. It has to be a customized solution, because it's a very, very particular problem to us. It'd require an honesty and self-evaluation that I doubt we, as a culture, have, and I know politically that we don't have the balls to do it at all.

2116 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo