Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2505 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
19. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 14:22 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 13:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 13:38:
Ever since Nadella took over from Balmer i've really liked the direction Microsoft has been going. I think having an engineer running the company has been a good thing for Microsoft and one thats been needed ever since Gates left the CEO position. I'll absolutely be upgrading to Win10. I imagine it'll be just as compatible as Win7/8 are.

it follows the pattern, right?

win98 good, winME bad
winXP good, winVista bad
win7 good, win8 bad

before the dumbshits start the flame war over how AWESOME win8 is FOR YOU, just keep in mind its been an absolute failure in terms of adoption rate, sales and public perception

Nah it fits. Windows 8 under the hood is pretty good actually from an objective point of view and is a significant step forward from even Windows 7. I've been running 7 in a corporate environment and 8 at home and there's stuff I *really* wish 7 would do that 8/2012 does. Server 2012 is a serious piece of software and their HyperV environment makes serious in-roads into VMWare's virtualization platform if you're an all-microsoft shop. Plus I know it's a total throwback to the old days but Powershell rocks once you get used to it. And there's no excuse to not get used to it since these days GUI just gets ported over to Powershell and you can check a box and look at the script the GUI generated before it runs.

Metro is what sunk Windows 8. Fucking metro. They even put it in Server 2012. Who the fuck has ever heard of a tablet/phone touch interface on a goddamn SERVER OS!

Metro has pushed me away from using the start menu alright. That goddamn metro tab? I hate it. It's slow to come up and a pain in the ass and the only time I ever see it is when I'm searching for something in the computer. Otherwise 100% of my computing is done off the app bar and the desktop because fuck tiles and fuck metro with a barb wire dildo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 8, 2015, 13:21 Flatline

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 09:53:
Logitech Is Changing Its Name to "Logi" Because Tech Means Nothing. You can't spell logic without "logi."

Was reading that earlier. The replies from their marketing person was like buzzword bingo. They take an established (meaningless) name with a semi decent reputation, and rebrand it into (meaningless) name folks haven't heard of.

"Tech is in the air you breathe...it’s in your clothes...in the future, ‘tech’ doesn’t say anything,” sounds like a Zoolander commercial.

On my IT group we all decided to call them "loogie" from now on.

Sort of like how I can't look at SyFy and not think "syphilis"

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content
14. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content Jul 8, 2015, 13:01 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 12:08:
i had a mage and i ended up going with knight enchanter, and the shit is ridiculous its like fucking god mode - i soloed a dragon that was "red" level or whatever, and after that i was like, meh

also the game itself seemed more like a SP MMO or something, it didnt feel like an RPG that was very cohesive and story driven, more theme parky

Although that being said I enjoyed the story. I liked the intrigue levels and wish there was more of that kind of roleplaying and elbow-rubbing with the high ups.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content
9. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content Jul 8, 2015, 11:06 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 10:45:
People actually play this for MP? *boggle*

Well, it's no Witcher 3 that's for sure.

I played a little bit of the MP. It wasn't terrible. Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either.

And I was enjoying the game until my save corrupted in a hard drive crash. I haven't had the will or interest really to go back and replay like 50 hours of the game, especially considering how f*cking boring the first 5-10 hours were.

I might go back and play a radical zealot of the Church because that's the polar opposite of the agnostic bisexual elf I played in the first runthrough.

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
141. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 8, 2015, 11:01 Flatline

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 22:37:
Flatline wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 12:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:53:
However later on , all of the "perks" that CIG/RSI gave to the backers were limited only to the subset of paid "subscribers" and so those backers who choose not to subscribe were left out, "

Wait what the fuck is this happy horse shit? Is this guy saying that a lot of the "perks" for being a backer have been moved over to only people who subscribe?

The subscriber perks are :

- Access to a subscriber subforum.
- Periodic flare items for your Hangar (think : 'flower pot on a table' style junk... non gameplay trinkets.)
- First look at the 'making of' concept art and production screenshots. About a month before everyone else sees it via the website main news feed.
- Recent addition : Rental credit bonus injection (REC is not the MMO currency. It's for temporarily unlocking stuff to try it out. You earn REC for playing.). This was added precisely because subscribers got so little for their money.

I donno where the idea of 'subscribers getting exclusive perks that should have been available to all backers' came from.

-scheherazade

Hulk rage mode subsiding. That's not a big deal. Silly waste of money, but not a big deal.

124. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 13:52 Flatline

So legitimate question. Assuming Star Citizen *does* ship and is awesome and everyone is mollified, or at least as mollified as the mob can ever be... Who is going to buy it when it's finished? They've already arguably sold the living fuck out of the game and monetized it to new heights...

What's their post-launch revenue stream look like? I mean, the cloud of servers to run the PU must be significant, along with the cost of administering the game.

You'd have to see Minecraft levels of purchases to sustain the game for the long term.

That's one reason why I think some people doubt that the ship sales will ever go away. I just don't see any other revenue stream.

120. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 12:59 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:53:
However later on , all of the "perks" that CIG/RSI gave to the backers were limited only to the subset of paid "subscribers" and so those backers who choose not to subscribe were left out, "

Wait what the fuck is this happy horse shit? Is this guy saying that a lot of the "perks" for being a backer have been moved over to only people who subscribe?

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
9. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 6, 2015, 18:38 Flatline

SlimRam wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:35:
Yeah imagine when these guys get all settled in and then they realize what Christ Roberts and pals has done to they're engine *shudder*. They're gonna look at the code and say,"Oh my DAMN!" heh

"Wait... this engine *started life* as an FPS engine. How in the name of holy hell do you fuck up the FPS module???"

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office
5. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 6, 2015, 18:05 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 18:00:
Yeah, they really need another office and 50 employees do they? Why don't they just focus on getting some actual dinosaurs on their dinosaur tour? If this thing isn't the biggest clusterfuck in gaming history I'll be utterly amazed.

Sounds like they hired a bunch of Crytech people. I would say that bodes better for the engine and it's 64-bit port that is underway but these guys will probably end up doing 75 dollar stencil designs that you can apply to your 1200 dollar stretch goal/premium ship content.

News Comments > Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week
5. Re: Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week Jul 6, 2015, 18:02 Flatline

Tom wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 17:54:
I've been using an inventory hack that gives me 9999 max weight or something. The game was just a lot less tedious once I stopped caring about inventory weight. Guessing that's going to stop working with this patch, but maybe the fixes will make it no longer as necessary.

Also interested in that alternate movement scheme. I'm pretty used to how Geralt handles at this point, but improvements are always welcome.

I hit inventory cap once and that was before I realized saddlebags upped my carrying capacity.

Now I just don't give a fuck. I go sell inventory when I hit cities/big cities but yeah. Never was an issue for me.

71. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 17:15 Flatline

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:31:

I have mixxed feeling about it.

Sure, it would be nice if they released it.

But if they did, then people would just unlock anything they wanted - which would eliminate the MMO progression and turn things into a giant DM sandbox - which is basically what you get from a private DM server.

Keeping progression in the hands of an unavailable 3rd party ensures that things require time and effort, which leads to a sense of accomplishment, which is in turn, fun.

That said, I'm sure some groups out there would have the dignity to keep the database clean and not make edits for themselves and their friends (and not attack people they dislike).

-scheherazade

Seriously?

How does what one group of people do on a private server impact your enjoyment or sense of accomplishment in the PU one iota? If full mod tools are released and you can run a private server why shouldn't someone unlock all the ships? Or change all the ships into My Little Pony ponies that shoot rainbow dicks out of their forehead if that's what makes someone happy?

"Unauthorized fun" is one of the most bullshit arguments I've ever heard against private servers.

66. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 16:25 Flatline

NetHead wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:24:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:09:

Maybe they could add in a stretch goal of teledildonics*, where Roberts can give people that pay a shitload of money a virtual hand job! Say $10,000 a wank?

The way things have been going and from what I've read that's funny, in that you have it backwards and think the fan paying won't be the one doing the "honours".

I'm sure there's at least one Cultist enthusiastic fan out there that'd like to give the Chairman a Chubbie for a few thousand dollars.

64. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 16:16 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:15:
Flatline wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:01:
Slashman wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 14:37:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:54:
Yeah. And as we can see FPS getting added to Squadron 42 was the $29 million stretch goal, unlocked on 11/22/2013. It was added in almost a full year after the KS campaign. The original backers never pledged for this bloated shit. Quote:

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

Yeah. They are totally going to pull this off without a hitch. Plus the MMO part too...no problem. Wall

Don't forget private servers too!

And "full mod tools" (stretch goal and KS promise)

I know several people who backed the project specifically for full mod tools so that they could do star trek or BSG or whatever.

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
90. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 16:15 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 14:10:
If the starliner was a stretch goal, that just means it will be in game, not that everyone will get one.

Yes I know that, but charging people 400 dollars for access to a previously acquired stretch goal is a little cynical you have to admit.

62. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 16:14 Flatline

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:08:
Flatline wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 16:01:
Yeah. And as we can see FPS getting added to Squadron 42 was the $29 million stretch goal, unlocked on 11/22/2013. It was added in almost a full year after the KS campaign. The original backers never pledged for this bloated shit. Quote:

Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

Yeah. They are totally going to pull this off without a hitch. Plus the MMO part too...no problem. Wall

Private servers for the PU are a no-go. They made a statement a long while ago saying that the complexity of the back end means that the only practical private servers will be limited scope deathmatch arenas.

-scheherazade

Hah! Called it.

I wasn't able to find that via google though. But it explains why the SC Cult has let the private server thing drop.

Besides, now it locks you into that sweet, sweet revenue creating stream for the company.

I say release it even if it requires a shit-ton of cloud processing. If me and 100 people want to pitch in for AWS or Azure cloud computing sufficient enough to run the server that should be our prerogative. Just be up front about it.

But that is now one day-one carved in stone promise broken from the kickstarter.

56. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 16:01 Flatline

89. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 14:45 Flatline

It... sort of had what we refer to as WW2 fighter physics. The earlier wing commander games had a really funky flight "physics" engine. I'm not actually sure if there's much of a flight model at all actually. It wasn't until X-wing or WC3 that you started to see physics that more or less seem familiar. Though if you go back and play through X-wing or TIE fighter or X-Wing Alliance you see how primitive even those flight engines were.

SC's flight engine is more or less settled and is only in the "tweaking" phase right now as I understand it. They intentionally went with a much more "complicated" flight model to justify the eleventy billion different ships they were building.

87. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jul 6, 2015, 13:52 Flatline

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:30:
Flatline wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:27:
Quboid wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:38:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 10:23:
nobody was forced to pledge money

Nobody has been literally forced, but do you mean that everybody knew what they were getting into? If I had pledged for the initial vision, I would feel ripped off. An in-development game turning bad is the inherent risk but there have been intentional decisions to change the nature of the project and to increase the scope of the project which has led to delays, and which IMHO have significantly increased the risk of it turning bad.

I *Do* feel ripped off. I signed up for a completely different game than is being delivered.

The game that is being delivered is not the space sim going back to Wing Commander with WW2 fighter style physics that I backed.

I'm in the same boat. The revisionist history from fanboys is disgusting.

I can't wait for my chance to buy The Homer in SC. I'm sure it'll fetch a 20,000 dollar purchase price.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/0/05/TheHomer.png

49. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 13:43 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:10:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 13:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:35:
SQ42 contains first person elements, but not full on FPS combat as I heard it.. but could be wrong.

Yep, you're wrong. They are now planning to implement full fledged FPS missions into Squadron 42. It is going to be a mix of space game and FPS.

Maybe it's more first person roleplay elements? That was definitely on the table during the KS. Walking around the hangar, chatting with crew and stuff..is all FPS too.

First person gameplay IS NOT THE SAME as first person SHOOTER which the 'S' in FPS stands for. Sheesh. Yes. First person gameplay (walking around the carrier ship, interacting with crew etc.) was always on the table but first person SHOOTER (in Squadron 42) has not been a part of the Kickstarter deal. Ever.

Not according to Zor. And Zor only speaks the truth.

Zor needs to check out the stretch goal page.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

It's understandable that he got confused. There's so many stretch goals that it's fucking impossible to keep track of them all.

I just want to know where my backer-exclusive 41 page document on how to overclock my ship's engines is.

48. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 13:39 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:30:
* for those not in the know: During the original campaign there was only like a footnote on FPS boarding mechanics where a boarding party enters an enemy ship to kill the crew and take over the ship. A full-fledged FPS mode was not on the menu at all but added on post-campaign (and is now for some reason being done before the space game... awesome prioritization right there, CIG!).

Bonus points:

It wasn't even mentioned until the hit 3.5 million, and it wasn't promised until they hit 5 million. So it wasn't even part of the original design spec.

2505 Comments. 126 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo