Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2363 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2015, 13:41 Flatline

Slick wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:51:
I'd still like to imagine a world where I can agree with some of what she says, and find the rest of what she says abhorrent and ignorant.

Considering she's rehasing what the industry, when it's stopped to self-examine, has been saying for years, I'd say it's totally reasonable to agree with some of her arguments.

I am at the point where I don't give a shit. The industry needs to grow up in a lot of ways. It's shoveling the lowest common denominator of shit wholesale at this point and it's not just related to gender.

Besides, isn't this whole gender/female/male thing like totally 2014? It's all about gender fluidity at this point with the 73 different kinds of gender on the slider? Why is Anita insisting on being part of the binary gender oppression by advocating for biological self-identifying females?

#BinaryIsBigoted

(yes, this is satire)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
82. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 26, 2015, 22:52 Flatline

killer_roach wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 19:32:
I was advocating for some sort of "Minimum QoS" regulation along with a reform of the FCC's spectrum auction rules to allow for a more dynamic market in wireless broadband. (Fiber optic "backbone" infrastructure I'm not so concerned about the effects of Title II on, beyond possible issues with deployment to new geographic locations which will likely be an impending fight between telecom firms and the FCC should these regulations be upheld.)

Blame Verizon for that then. The FCC was moving in that direction and Verizon took them to court and the courts told the FCC "Title II or GTFO".

They bet big and lost hard.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2015, 11:12 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 04:30:
Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 13:32:

"I doubt you'd be raped and murdered in front of 2000 people" and she replied with "Well they're all white males" was... I can't imagine living with that kind of world view. It must be really depressing.

What world view? That's not a world view. That's racism. Imagine the uproar if a white woman had said that on record about black males.

Oh it's racist but it's also one of the most pessimistic views of people I've ever heard.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2015, 11:10 Flatline

Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:33:
Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:28:
Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:26:
I enjoyed what happened to Adria Richards.

I won't go so far as to enjoy what happened to her. She didn't learn anything and came away more bitter and really more paranoid. She didn't deserve the level of vitriol that was aimed at her and I think 2 years of being unemployed or whatever it was according to the article is paying for all your sins and then some. I agree that we all lose in that scenario.

Let me be more specific. I enjoyed the fact that she lost her job, which I felt was karma for causing someone else to lose theirs. I did not mean I thought the other over-the-top type attacks on her were a good thing.

Gotcha fair 'nuff. I admit there's a bit of schadenfreude to that extent.

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2015, 18:28 Flatline

Julio wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 17:26:
I enjoyed what happened to Adria Richards. Clearly got what she deserved, learned nothing from her experience and probably will go the Patreon/Kickstarter route next.

Feel sorry for the guy who made a joke at the next table though. Clearly the victim of someone who has serious issues.

I won't go so far as to enjoy what happened to her. She didn't learn anything and came away more bitter and really more paranoid. She didn't deserve the level of vitriol that was aimed at her and I think 2 years of being unemployed or whatever it was according to the article is paying for all your sins and then some. I agree that we all lose in that scenario.

But in reading the comments in the article I linked to, there are people who argued, very passionately, that defusing the situation with a "dude not cool" and receiving an apology is "submissive" and "sexist". So resolving things in a non-confrontational manner is not a valid option for some people.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
19. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2015, 13:55 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 15:41:
Surprised WotC survived D&D 4th Ed. That is by far the worst D&D in history. 5th Edition is having low sales now because people no longer trust them.

5th ed last I heard is so fucked up it doesn't have much of a print run schedule.

Also I'll argue that WOTC did well by D&D with 3rd edition. Mike Mearls is the plague on the IP. How he survives the yearly Wizards Christmas Firing ritual (seriously, they can people every Christmas) is beyond me. He's responsible for the cluster-fuck of errata and then de-errata and then re-errata that 4th ed became and somehow managed to stay in charge of the line.

Shit with A Game of Thrones being more popular that breathing for the last 4 years you'd think D&D would be tearing it up. Instead it's kind of a stinking pile of shit.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2015, 13:32 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 11:57:
Flatline wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 11:27:
Interesting link in the comment section in relation to that Adria Richards thing:

https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/

Apparently, getting offended, not telling anyone, and causing a huge shitstorm on the internet is her MO.

Adria Richards, judging by this article, is truly just a miserable piece of shit out to hurt other people. She didn't give a shit about the guy getting fired because he made a stupid joke to his buddy (Here's a fucking hint Internet, just because you heard a joke DOESN'T MEAN IT WAS FUCKING AIMED AT YOU.) but then when the tables are turned and SHE gets fired, omg, worst thing in the world, and it was the guy's fault. Her "I felt they were going to kill me or rape me" bullshit was just worthy of the world's biggest fucking eyeroll. Yeah, they're going to jump up and rape you RIGHT THERE in the midst of 2000 other white guys, all of whom are just going to stand around and be like "Hahahaha RAPE THAT BITCH!" Rolleyes

As for Lindsay Stone, I found that picture pretty damn offensive (No, you're not just being a douchebag in front of a sign. That sign means something. In essence, you're saying "Fuck everyone who died in military service.") Not everything can be turned into a joke. These are men and women who **died** in service to their country. They deserve respect, not to be turned into a fucking joke on your goddamn facebook page so you can get a few likes from the clowns who like your written diarrhea.

But she didn't deserve to get fired over it, nor have her life tarnished because of it.

Interesting article. The gist of it really is: Don't be on fucking Twitter, and don't post stupid bullshit on your Facebook page.

Yeah the Lindsay Stone thing was really crass and tasteless and offensive and I agree that she didn't deserve to be eviscerated.

It'd be enough to win "worst person in the world" for one day and then move on.

As for the Adria Richards thing, apparently even her supporters default to "she's a black, Jewish, woman so naturally she's the victim here". It's... really weird. The point in the article where the author pointed out "I doubt you'd be raped and murdered in front of 2000 people" and she replied with "Well they're all white males" was... I can't imagine living with that kind of world view. It must be really depressing.

And yes, I agree. Twitter is a fucking plague on humanity. I mean, I remember the night that the Iranian uprising happened and we were trying to put up twitter mirrors so that the students could coordinate without the Iranian government shutting the effort down, and that was a trip to behold.

Aside from that and a few other edge uses? It seems like a terrible idea to me. People have been bemoaning the 30 second sound bite for decades, and now the new social way to communicate is the 4 second sound bite? What could possibly go wrong with that?

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 23, 2015, 11:27 Flatline

Interesting link in the comment section in relation to that Adria Richards thing:

https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/

Apparently, getting offended, not telling anyone, and causing a huge shitstorm on the internet is her MO.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
55. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 22:42 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 21:17:
Julio wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 20:38:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 20:07:
yet everyone here is saying it is pay to win... ???

Although we've beaten the pay-to-win discussion to death, I'm interested in how buying a $1200 ship isn't paying to win. That ship will give an advantage to some players over others. Let's hear how it doesn't.

The game needs to come through with it's one promise. Player run servers. If it does P2W will mean nothing on them.

I don't see how player run servers are even feasible at this point.

Maybe if you have a server cluster it's doable, as in you rent some MS Azure or AWS servers and spin them up, but I have trouble imagining one consumer-grade computer running a full universe simulation, unknown planetary-side simulations, AND run FPS simulations- simultaneously.

I can see a minimum of one server for each along with maybe a master server that coordinates everything, with additional server spinning up for every X number of players. Not to mention the bandwidth required for that kind of server hosting- it'd be kind of a nightmare.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy
54. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Feb 21, 2015, 22:35 Flatline

StealthR6 wrote on Feb 21, 2015, 14:27:
I play AC every night and its the best space shooter out now, just like Freelancer was the best one 15 years ago and the Wing Commander/Privateer was the best in the early 90s.

Freespace 2 beat the *shit* out of Freelancer, which wasn't even particularly a space sim in the traditional sense.

Shit, go download the Freespace Open Source Project and plunk 5 bucks down on GOG.com for Freespace 2. It still holds up aside from some shitty missions in the nebula.

Then if you're feeling really interested, download diaspora, which does what SC wanted really bad to do with it's flight model, only for Battlestar Galactica, and see what a 15 year old engine with a few basic modifications is still capable of producing graphically.

News Comments > Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia
9. Re: Diablo III Microtransactions Coming to Asia Feb 20, 2015, 22:54 Flatline

nin wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 20:52:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 19:35:
Well that's it then. That's kind of a relief, actually.

I was holding out hope that D3 could be salvaged some day; now we can just uninstall.

It's frustrating that they can't seem to decide what they want to do with it...between this and overwatch, it feels like they've gone from a company with great ideas to a company that just chases the latest trend.

Well... they fired or let go all the employees that had good ideas. Is it surprising?

News Comments > WARMACHINE: Tactics Demo & DLC
4. Re: WARMACHINE: Tactics Demo & DLC Feb 20, 2015, 19:07 Flatline

panbient wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 14:35:
... and it's only a 26 GB download...

what the actual shit?

Hey Star Citizen is like 30+ gigs for like one or two levels

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 20, 2015, 18:35 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 13:08:
They didn't make any 10K reward levels, so even though they didn't have the largest in terms of $$$, all of their donations were small so they needed a lot of people to jump on it. Kind of got out of control though. I wonder if people are looking at this as a collectors item and we'll see these decks on Ebay for $500 or something.

Possibly that and just the artwork. The cardgame itself sounds... boring as dirt.

News Comments > SPINTIRES Rolling Again; DLC & Sequel Plans
9. Re: SPINTIRES Rolling Again; DLC & Sequel Plans Feb 20, 2015, 18:20 Flatline

I can't stop reading that title as SPINRITE, which is a good product.  

News Comments > Homeworld Remastered Trailer
8. Re: Homeworld Remastered Trailer Feb 19, 2015, 13:07 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2015, 12:43:
Higara. Home. Goddamn it's looking good. This game just oozes style. This is probably my favourite futuristic/modular style of ship design of any space game. It's how I envision spaceships too.

I remember that mission now, it was a motherfucker. I seem to recall rage-quitting on it more than once.
Steamingmad

I remember playing this back in our LAN party days. The guy who threw the lan party was part of the beta. Great RTS player for his day but he *couldn't* get the 3d part of Homeworld. He'd break down if I fought off of the "map plane" and took it to the Z axis. There was a lot of Wrath of Khan and Ender's Game references in my smack talk back then.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2015, 12:32 Flatline

Mikeyzman wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 11:26:
Seems like a gimmicky tablet, and when I think tablet I'm not thinking of dropping $800. They need to drop another $200 before I'd consider it.

Well... it's sort of a tablet, but runs a full OS.

For a laptop that can function as a tablet, 800 bucks is basically a mid-range laptop.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
3. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 13, 2015, 19:27 Flatline

I called it. He's pulling a Shia LaBoeuf. Or however the fuck you spell that asshat's name.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Trailer
21. Re: Just Cause 3 Trailer Feb 13, 2015, 17:23 Flatline

Xero wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 11:47:
I have Just Cause 2 and try to get in to it but it has too many controls. I hate how you have to control each gun individually and reload each one, it's a pain.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concepts and idea of all the crazy stunts you can pull off but the majority of the time I'm trying to remember which key was for what with so many controls.

I know I know, it's probably controller worthy, but I will never succumb to it! lol

I have both the PC and the console version of JC 2 (hey it was a steam sale for like 2 dollars) and the xbox controller plays infinitely smoother than Keyboard & Mouse. I couldn't get very far in the PC version.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 12:36 Flatline

Illumin wrote on Feb 13, 2015, 11:19:
Well least he can admit it unlike many others *cough* Richard Garriott, Bill Roper. To be fair at least Peter Molyneux and Richard Garriott actually made some games that were good in the last 30 years.

I gotta dig up that photograph I took of Bill Roper dressed up as a middle ages whore.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 13, 2015, 12:35 Flatline

Oh Peter, stop trying to pull a Shia "I'M NOT A CELEBRITY ANYMORE" LaBeouf.  

2363 Comments. 119 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo