Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2557 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
12. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 11:56 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 11:45:
I've tried so hard to get into F3 but I just couldn't.
F4 looks pretty cool but I am not sure I'd like to spend the money to just abandon the game after a few hours.
Not to mention it's a $70 game on Steam. Not sure whats up with that price, even the console versions are cheaper.

Wait 70 bucks for the standard edition?

Fuck.
That.
Noise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 Flatline

Axis wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 11:35:
New fallout looks mega consolized and should have retired. Packed with cutesy animations and lots of bling though guys!!

Only thing it's got going for it is 'Soldier of Fortune' dismembering.

Well better animations will be a massive improvement over the stick-up-your-ass animations previously.

And I don't know if you played either F3 or FNV but there was tons of dismemberment and shit in those games too. I mean, one of the perks was like "bloody mess" or something like that.

4. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 11:21 Flatline

Kajetan wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 11:15:
I too am basically done with Fallout from Bethesda ... their games dont float my boat.

I'm sure I'll play it, and probably enjoy it. But I suspect it won't be on par with NV.

Strangely enough I found the start of new vegas to be really kind of a letdown compared to F3, and the game traditionally doesn't "begin" for me for some reason until I hit Novac.

Of course, when you hit New Vegas proper the game explodes open and becomes teh awesome. Really wish Obsidian was helming this one.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
37. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 27, 2015, 11:41 Flatline

yuastnav wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 05:54:
InBlack wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 05:42:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 04:58:
Also, Doom was fucking fast. It was faster than any iD game ever released before or since.

Eh, not so sure about that. Quake with strafe jumping is pretty damn fast.

Yeah well there was no jumping in Doom, so there is that. However Doom is definitely not slower than Quake, up until fairly recently Ive been playing Doom on Zdaemon (which is as close to the original Doom2.exe gameplay as it gets) and trust me on this it's insanely fast paced.

I don't know man. In my opinion Quake 2 is still the fastest game to date. That or Quake 3 with the CPMA mod. By fast I mean fast paced.

I mean, take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WYX7wN3MU
(granted this is Quake 3, I think unmodded?)

This is sick.

I played a metric shitload of Q3 and while that looks vanilla the video is either severely sped up or there's a mod that sped the fuck up out of everything. There's no way that's unedited video of vanilla Q3.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
48. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 23, 2015, 13:41 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 20:52:
Flatline wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 16:51:
They aren't talking about it but the next big project is Cyberpunk, and I can't even begin to tell you how excited that makes me feel.

If it's anywhere close to as good as W3 it's going to effing rock! Still there are never any guarantees.

True that. Though truth be told CP2077 isn't being talked about or focused on until after the two big expansions for W3 apparently. So I figure we're 3 years out.

It bodes well though. They have the chops, they're willing to go to dark places in their stories, and the grey moral ambiguity of the Witcher setting actually dovetails well into cyberpunk.

It actually seems to me this is how it should have been for the first two games. The Weechers are supposed to be emtionless - for the most part - so the whole Joe Friday vibe fits. It's like that one part in the game where the woman calls Geralt heartless and he replies "I guess the mutations worked then".

I'll agree with that. I attribute it to the development of the company as a whole. It works it's just... inconsistent from previous games. That's the only reason why it's jarring

Then again, I went back to watch some Witcher 2 clips (mainly to make sure I wasn't getting the performance wrong) and the voice acting has come a long way from even that game (except, I agree, Triss, which isn't awesome but her voicework is serviceable).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:33 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 10:59:
Do sites get money just from displaying ads or do you have to click on them? I will consider turning adblock off for Blue's, but if he make nothing unless I click, then there is no reason to have it off, I won't click.

I believe you get paid per so many thousand ad displays. The higher your click-through the more the pay though I think if memory serves.

And yeah, some kind of ad-blocker is necessary now. Compare my browsing experience on my PC to my phone and I seriously am reluctant to use my phone to browse. Full page adds taking over your browser, the inability to scroll if you flick an ad compared to the real page, the page itself constantly resizing and popping all around so you think you're clicking a legitimate link and then 2 seconds later the page resizes due to an ad and you end up hitting the ad that sandwiched the legitimate link.

The one that makes me rage is the ad that takes you to the app store without clicking on it to install some BS program. Usually that game of war bullshit game. I'm sure it'd auto-install if they could figure a way to.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jul 22, 2015, 17:55 Flatline

For 12 bucks I'm willing to try ESO.  

32. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 16:55 Flatline

StaticRandomNumber wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 15:19:
I wasn't sure it would be for me as I hadn't played Witcher 1 and 2, but so far I already feel like I got more than I payed for.

$53 is a bargain. Way better value than anything else I have played the last two years.

Just made it to the third Island and having a blast and I have yet to download any of the standalone DLC.

To me that it was on GOG was definitely a bonus selling point.

You can definitely feel the company mature as it moved through the Witcher games. The first was pretty good for it's time and the second was impressive. The third doesn't quite come to Skyrim levels of emergent "shit to do" but it has way more interesting side quests to make up for it. I don't feel like just wandering around aimlessly in Witcher 3 but the shit I am doing I generally feel more engaged in.

I just kind of wished that Geralt didn't talk in such a clipped LA Quartet/James Ellroy sort of manner. It feels kind of new to this game compared to my memory of Witcher 2 and definitely to Witcher 1 and just feels jarring to me.

31. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 16:51 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:21:
Flatline wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:04:

That's the thing. He *does* want to buy it now. And he can buy it dirt cheap from GOG directly or spend full price on Steam.

What I find odd is both sites want $60.

Ah I misread that as he could pick it up cheap on GOG.com

Which, to be frank, you could. I pre-ordered it a year ago for like 40 bucks. Maybe less. CDPR has a history of delivering tasty tasty games so the pre-order made sense to me.

They aren't talking about it but the next big project is Cyberpunk, and I can't even begin to tell you how excited that makes me feel.

14. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:04 Flatline

Task wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 11:24:
Give them a break - if they don't want to buy it now, that's their prerogative.

That's the thing. He *does* want to buy it now. And he can buy it dirt cheap from GOG directly or spend full price on Steam. But because he insists on buying through Steam he's just going to complain that CDPR is greedy.

Ignoring that he can totally download the game through GOG and then set it up to launch through Steam.

13. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:01 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:16:
Publishers are getting greedy.

Yeah next thing you know CDPR will start charging 400 dollars for new horse breeds that will be implemented some time in the unspecified future.

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More
77. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 23:32 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 18:41:
Vall Forran wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 16:59:
Arena Commander is better than most released games? Does this guy have a proof reader?
It's a subjective statement. In terms of visual fidelity it's one of the best. In terms of features it's limited. In comparison to the average Steam game it's fucking fantastic. In comparison to the average AAA it's woefully lacking. You also have to remember that he sees everything going on behind the scenes, which influences his opinion.

To be fair, you're pushing, at this point, a handful of static models around a very pretty skybox. Visual fidelity better be pretty good in that scenario.

55. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 16:19 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 15:39:
10 to 20 years from now video games hyped today will be found at a thrift shop or downloadable from an online retro-archive. Meanwhile, other companies are working on exploring real outer space in order for humanity to colonize Mars and beyond. The consequences of which will likely alter human evolution. You can put your time, energy, and money debating over and playing a virtual game or educating yourself and getting involved in STEM. I doubt "X amount of hours playing a virtual space pilot" will have a positive impact on a resume nor will it impress a potential investor.

Says the man wasting the prime of his life posting on a video game forum board.

44. Re: On Shooter Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 15:06 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 14:38:
Nathos wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:40:
Isn't the whole point of these kind games so that you DON'T have to look people in the eye?

Looking people in the eye is the $90M stretch goal. But it's not feature creep, even though it's something that gets added later. We've just changed the definition of feature creep.

Too bad the game will be released after "later" occurs.

FTFY

News Comments > Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely
7. Re: Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely Jul 21, 2015, 14:11 Flatline

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 13:17:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:22:
Yeah the no DLC statement was a bit surprising.
It's almost like Dirt Rally was just kind of a side project for them just to see if there's any interest. Kind of like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it was. It came out of nowhere on PC only, in Early Access (at a discount too, the way Early Access should be done) and though it's been doing well, they haven't been talking about it much. Codemasters has been hurting real bad the last few years (mostly cause almost all their non-racing titles the last couple of years have been awful) and are pretty much doubling down on their racing series to survive at this point. A lot of DiRT fans didn't like how the series was getting further and further away from proper rally the last couple of games. This feels like a small team managed to convince a manager to let them try this out on some downtime or something to show them they people did want proper rally games. Based on what I've played so far, they've definitely succeeded. I hope this does well for them and maybe gets a wider release.

I hope it does well for them too.

Their road map has quite a bit of content coming still. All the reviews and discussions I've seen basically call it the best rally game in years and aside from tweaking/polishing I haven't heard any major complaints that couldn't be fixed by the end of early access.

They intend to bring the game to consoles once it's out of Early Access, and I'm curious to see how it does on consoles stacked up against some of the bigger names.

But that being said, I'm already a big enough fan of it that if they wanted to kickstart or do some kind of P500 type of pledge system for more content I'd throw down.

P500 incidentally is how GMT makes board games. They put up a proposed board game that is basically design finished and needs polishing and professional artwork. You sign up to pre-order but don't spend any money at the time. Once it passes 500 pledges it goes into the production line and gets charged shortly before shipping. Sometimes games take a year or two to hit P500 but it's a way of assuring the publisher that the game will be profitable enough to at least break even after operating costs. Usually there's an early-order discount too for keeping the faith.

Codemasters could easily put up a P500 or P5000 or P10000 or whatever they think they'd need to make additional content worthwhile and let us sign up for it. They could shotgun it and put up like half a dozen ideas and let us sign up for them. As each reached it's pledge mark to be profitable they could put it into the dev pipeline and push it out. It's kind of like kickstarter but actually kind of less risky for the consumer.

39. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 13:56 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:53:
0:18 a good example of the problem right there..why the fuck is he doing a motion capture shoot for S42..I know its supposed to have a story with probably cut scenes but for gods sake..wasting time on this and not on the game/core mechanics. And who's to say hes not spent a lot of time on the core mechanics though right?!?! Well..I doubt it very much...all this waste and bloat is not gonna make the dogfighting better with a mocap shoot, I promise you that.

You do know that it's going to be a combo space sim FPS right? That's like, one of the major gripes about the thing.

News Comments > Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely
3. Re: Dirt Rally Mods or DLC Unlikely Jul 21, 2015, 12:17 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:11:
I am not sure how much more $$ would moddability of a racing game bring in.
It would be nice but I personally never missed mods in racing games tbh.

Yup. This. Without any plans for DLC though I just hope they end up pushing a metric assload more content out. Everyone wants more tracks but it sounds like there might only be 1-2 more locations in the pipeline.

I'm actually really surprised that they won't offer location DLC/expansion pack in the future. It'd be the one like sure sell. Dirt Rally must be *really* niche for them. Which is a shame because it's the most fun I've had playing a racing game in years. I usually shy away from them and I went out and picked up a G27 wheel kit I had so much fun with Dirt Rally.

22. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:12 Flatline

BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:18:
These damage control statements and videos are actually more worrying than the people causing them.

Soon trolls will ask for CIG to stop giving free coffee to the programmers because "it's their money"

Only if they use shitty Keurig coffee pods. 40+ dollars a pound for shitty coffee is a crime.

Besides. Coffee is for closers only.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/068/0/7206507/il_570xN.798085087_3cx6.jpg

18. Re: On Shooter Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:03 Flatline

JoeNapalm wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:05:
Really, Chris? Really?

And I guess the end goes something like this?:

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Star Citizen’s day.

-Jn-

I was thinking more like:

Thirty years from now, when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you, "What did you do in the great Star Citizen Debate," you won't have to say, "Well... I shoveled shit in Louisiana."

But the St Crispin's Day speech will do.

As for Chris Roberts' question? I was playing Elite Dangerous.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2015, 12:08.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month
43. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 13:15 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 12:50:
Flatline wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 12:46:
The 20 million dollar "version" was the "We're going to make this game on our own without 3rd party funding". Same game, just free of the oversight that a 3rd party investor would exercise.

Too bad they hit 20 million, it would have kept them from going off the rails on this fucking crazy train by having a watchful eye on his craziness. Also, i'd probably have my single player game i wanted by now too.. fucking asshole.

As for this FPS module bullshit, I don't believe a word they say... they'll say anything right now to keep the money flowing.

I'm pretty sure if Derek smart was challenging him on unicorns being put into the game as space slingshots he would probably say he'd have that in 6 weeks too.

The interesting thing is that the "complete" vision for the game clocked in at around 20 million budgeted. It's actually probably a good thing funding tore past that because I'll bet 5 bucks they've already blown past 20 million. I suspect the quality of any product turned out at that level of funding would have been a barely playable POS if not cluster-fuck of epic proportions.

I mean, I just went over all the stretch goals, and really the major components to the game stopped at 20 million or so. So I'll give them credit for that. 20 million was what was needed to provide for a "complete" vision of the game.

But it also means that the next 65 million dollars in obligations basically are new ships to be designed. And those don't cost that much money to design and implement. The scope and fidelity of the game really hasn't changed between 20 & 85 million. Which means some pretty optimistic budgeting was going on early on.

2557 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo