Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1899 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Next Call of Duty Tidbits?
7. Re: Next Call of Duty Tidbits? Nov 15, 2012, 02:18 Flatline

Somehow I doubt that they're using "nihilistic" in a proper sense.

A nihilist would either dig war, because it's a chance to destroy EVERYTHING, or reject war because it doesn't exist.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO The Lord of the Rings
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO The Lord of the Rings Nov 14, 2012, 03:00 Flatline

First thing I thought when I saw this was "didn't they do this already? Aren't there like a billion LEGO adventure games?"

And then, after searching my brain, I realize this is one of the few IPs that hasn't been lego-ized.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Patched
8. Re: Borderlands 2 Patched Nov 14, 2012, 02:58 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 00:26:
Ton of changes, and nothing to the biggest problem with the game which is that the loot it drops is fucking pathetic. It makes Diablo 3 look like Santa Claus on a charity spree by comparison.

The rest of their DLC better be awe-inspiringly good if they want me to buy it. More missions with dozens of chests that give you white and green horseshit loot aren't what I'm in the mood for anymore, Randy.

Creston

I don't know what you're talking about... Yeah, a lot of chests drop white and green loots, but my primary sniper rifle right now is green and does shit-tons more damage than blues or oranges (by a factor of 3-5x as much). I want to see a new piece of gear (maybe not my primary weapon, but a usable, desirable weapon) once every 30-45 minutes, and I see that just fine. There's no reason to focus on one or two weapons any more since they eliminated weapon experience.

News Comments > StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013
20. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 15:13 Flatline

Optional nickname wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:06:
What happened to the installments of this SC2 game that were supposed to come out yearly, as opposed to triyea-rly? I mean rly? don't matter, Diablo 3 welded shut the coffin on Blizzard, rip, thanks for the gaming memories, no re.

Blizzard has so much operating capital that they just say "whenever the f*ck it's done it's done". Which sounds awesome, but without any kind of enforced discipline, projects that should have a yearly turnover take 3 years. The only thing I can surmise is that the project leads have absolutely no sense of discipline.

News Comments > StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013
18. Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm in March 2013 Nov 13, 2012, 14:53 Flatline

After the nearly 3 years it's taken them to make a mission pack with half a dozen new units, this expansion needs to fondle my nuts or something to be worth the price and the wait.

The thing that amuses me the most is that they spent probably 2 years "polishing" the game and adjusting the balance, and 90% of that balance is going to go right out the window in the first 90 days of patching as the rest of the world gets to play.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
33. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 13, 2012, 02:45 Flatline

finga wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 00:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:34:
less pseudo-religious 'chosen one' stuff.
Which the Mass Effect series didn't do. Not even a little bit. Shepard had no prophecy, no special birthright, no magical powers above anyone else's.

Except for the part where he becomes a Nietzsche Ubermensch and more or less stops being human in order to take care of humanity. Which I think was the entire *intended* ending theme for ME3, but was lost in terribly bad, rushed, and pointless writing. Even the "polish" of the new endings missed the point entirely.

Bear with me a moment. I could live with shitty ending choices that made no sense to me because I'm human if the plot and dialog suggested that Shepard's morality was becoming alien to pretty much everyone else in the Galaxy. Of course what he decides is best wouldn't make one iota of sense: his morality is on another plane beyond any life or synthetic intelligence in the galaxy.

I'll ignore the part where that means that Shepard is open to more than the End-o-tron 3000's 3 colored levers (which means he really isn't making decisions but fulfilling a deus ex machina NPC's 3 choices, which is where all the nerd rage comes from), but with the proper writing and dialog leading up to that concept, it could have been a cool, albeit controversial ending.

Okay off my soap box.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2
18. Re: Mass Effect 4 Uses Frostbite 2 Nov 12, 2012, 22:59 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:20:
Pete wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 22:10:
Worth it if you find it cheap. Great game with a shitty ending.

What ever happened to them patching the ending?

Before I played it I thought the reaction was ridiculous but wow, they really did stuff that up so badly.

It still screws you up the butt, but it has the decency to tell you that you were a pretty good lay afterwards.

And I'm done with Bioware. Sorry folks. You had 3 strikes, you're out.

News Comments > Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1?
30. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:12 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:20:
Win7 appears to be the last OS I get from MS. - I really hate Metro that much.

It's not a big deal... DX11 is good enough... and I imagine that Games will run on Win7 for a long time to come. And by the time Hardware and Games don't run on Win7... I'll have probably winded down on buying games anyway. I'm getting too old for this shit.

In the meantime, OSX has served my non-gaming needs quite well. ...And if that starts getting too cloud heavy (which I also can't stand)... then there's always Linux to fall back on.

It pretty much will depend entirely on what xbox does. Most of my PC games still run dx9, and only a handful run dx beyond that and are PC exclusive *and* are worth the jump.

If the next xbox runs with 11.1 or whatever, then that's what devs will program with, and we'll have to update sooner rather than later. If they go with an earlier DX, Windows 8 will be an abortion.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multiplayer Details
18. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 23:25 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 22:10:
The Galaxy Server handles the persistent world, and then delegates some tasks to an instance server when going into real-time combat. At no point are they implying that this is peer-to-peer or that clients are going to be trusted.

Actually you're assuming that the "instance" will be offered up server-side and not peer vs peer unless you have other information than what's above.

Otherwise this isn't "unique" or special about the architecture at all (and it already really isn't). Boneyards did this with Total Annihilation back in the 90's. Starfleet Command pretended/aspired to do this in SC2 & SC3.

We'll see what happens. I've seen enough warning flares that I can easily wait until I see more of how this is structured before I jump on board or not.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multiplayer Details
8. Re: Star Citizen Multiplayer Details Nov 11, 2012, 17:37 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 11, 2012, 14:47:
The more I hear the more I'm glad I haven't given him a penny.

Yeah same here. Sadly.

And I've seen this setup before. It's called... wait for it... GUILD WARS.

He's using the same basic setup as guild wars 1, only with some refinements it sounds like so you don't have IRC channels with graphics and only 4 people at a time running around in an instance.

I'm also not cool on this whole "not-real time" service the "servers" are going to be providing. That's an awful lot of trust to put into the client, and if this game is even remotely popular, you'll have hackers getting into it in no time and destroying the game.

And I'm also wary of this engine now. X-Wing Alliance managed 128 fighters at once (plus cap ships) over 10 years ago. I forgot how many assets Freespace 2 can run, but it's a lot these days if you look at Diaspora. The thing of it is, in a space sim, you're not rendering terrain geometry. At all. Which frees up a *lot* of polygon pushing and texturing for fighters and ships. Even lighting, while important, is not exceptionally complicated in a space sim. And really, in a dogfighting sim with shit zipping around at high speed, how often do you *really* get to stop and look at the intricate ship designs during a fight? At this point, the only thing I could imagine being a real limitation to how many actors in a battle/scene in a space sim is bandwidth limitations, and not engine limitations.

News Comments > Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation
17. Re: Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation Nov 10, 2012, 18:23 Flatline

sir wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 09:40:
Flatline wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 04:08:
sir wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 02:51:
Molyneux is that rarest of things, the game development equivalent of John Carpenter; A master of his craft in the beginning, but a latter day snake-oil salesman.

Bullshit. Name just about every "master" game developer of the 90's and they've gone on to mediocrity.

Lord British? Hah.

Most of the team at iD? Barely shadows of themselves. And Romero is going to make you his bitch.

Warren Spector? I won't judge Epic Mickey, but he thinks consolization is a fantastic thing and pumped out Deus Ex 2 immediately after getting a lobotomy, which must have occurred shortly after DX1 was released.

We'll see if Chris Roberts swings & misses.

I'd say at *least* half of the "masters of their craft" from 10+ years ago have either left the industry or blow chunks.

And as for this Curiosity thing, it strikes me as a giant web counter with a BUNCH of zeroes on it, and Molyneux crying that when the counter hits a specific, secret number someone gets a prize.

Which is fucking stupid.

Congratulations, you've cited four examples in an industry that employs tens of thousands of development personnel. And from where do you get your approximation of 'half of the "masters of their craft" from 10+ years ago have either left the industry or blow chunks'? I'm guessing it came from the same place as Molyneux' latest game.

Congratulations, you've mastered that rarest of skills, moving the goalposts when you are shown to be wrong.

First you're talking about "masters of their craft", and when I show that it's easy to come up with "masters of their craft" who suck now, you suddenly change that to "individuals who suck among an industry of 10's of thousands".

Which is the shittiest of counter-arguments, because it moves you from "you're wrong" to "you're not even wrong, you're not part of this conversation any more".

As for where I came up with that "at least half" number, well, considering that I could only come up with two names of "masters of the craft" that haven't turned to shit yet (Ken Levine and Gabe Newell, and Gabe is probably arguable) and have been around as long as Molyneux, and all of the others I could think of have succumbed to mediocrity, I figured I must be forgetting a bunch of people and knocked my estimate down from "almost everyone" to "at least half".

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 10, 2012, 04:19 Flatline

Verno wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 11:28:
The Vita was a big gamble that is floundering in most regions and the Sony name doesn't have the pull it used to in other markets. Panasonic isn't doing too well either.

The Vita wasn't a big gamble as much as it was a stupid fucking move.

It took everything, and I do mean *everything* that went wrong with the PSP and doubled down on it. Expensive, high end hardware, check. Proprietary memory stick that costs way more than competing memory? Check. Shitty software library? Oh hell yes check. Lack of new IP for the portable (ie just endless portable versions of existing games)? Check. Online library of ancient titles ported at new release prices? Check. Developing, let alone launching, a dedicated hard core handheld without massive 3rd party support? Check. A price tag that puts it in direct competition with smartphones? Check.

The Vita shows me that Sony's gaming division is completely fucking clueless. I'd be afraid of what the PS4 ends up being with this kind of incompetence at the helm.

News Comments > StarCraft II Global Play Coming
8. Re: StarCraft II Global Play Coming Nov 10, 2012, 04:11 Flatline

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2012, 21:56:
StarCraft II Global Play Coming

How quaint.

FTFY. I'm glad it only took 5 years for Blizzard to remove what is literally an artificial partition they put up in the first place.

I'm sure this development however will result in another 4 months of delay for Heart of the Swarm.

News Comments > Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation
11. Re: Molyneux's Curious PC Curiosity Explanation Nov 10, 2012, 04:08 Flatline

sir wrote on Nov 10, 2012, 02:51:
Molyneux is that rarest of things, the game development equivalent of John Carpenter; A master of his craft in the beginning, but a latter day snake-oil salesman.

Bullshit. Name just about every "master" game developer of the 90's and they've gone on to mediocrity.

Lord British? Hah.

Most of the team at iD? Barely shadows of themselves. And Romero is going to make you his bitch.

Warren Spector? I won't judge Epic Mickey, but he thinks consolization is a fantastic thing and pumped out Deus Ex 2 immediately after getting a lobotomy, which must have occurred shortly after DX1 was released.

We'll see if Chris Roberts swings & misses.

I'd say at *least* half of the "masters of their craft" from 10+ years ago have either left the industry or blow chunks.

And as for this Curiosity thing, it strikes me as a giant web counter with a BUNCH of zeroes on it, and Molyneux crying that when the counter hits a specific, secret number someone gets a prize.

Which is fucking stupid.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Details
11. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Details Nov 8, 2012, 17:58 Flatline

Saint's Row 2 was probably the pinnacle of goofy sandbox games. SR3 turned the volume up to 12.  

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
13. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 12:47 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Nov 8, 2012, 11:57:
Just the name Bioware is toxic now. GJ Bioware. I'm sure shipping ME3 when you did was all worth it though right? You made your money, no one will remember, just get ready for pre-orders on your next game! Bonus' are guaranteed! No worries guys, everything is fine, let's just keep up the good work!

It wasn't just the ME3 ending (which was almost enough to be off-putting on it's own), but it was the triple crown of StarWoW (I just got an email begging me to come back, but I'm too busy playing the hell out of Guild Wars), Dragon Age 2, and the ME3 ending that convinced me that Bioware doesn't put out games like they used to.

I suspect the Mythic name-change is probably more related to the abortion that is StarWoW than ME3.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year
18. Re: Diablo III Expansion Plans; StarCraft: Heart of the Swarm Early Next Year Nov 8, 2012, 02:54 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:51:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 23:33:
Of course by then we should have Grim Dawn, a well developed PoE, Project Eternity, etc. etc.

Yep. Very much looking forward to Grim Dawn in particular. Right now POE, TL2 and GW2 keep me very entertained and I just don't see a D3 expansion enticing me away from them, particularly if they want me to pay typical Blizzard pricing for it. The gameplay of D3 wasn't horrid, but it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable as any of those 3 games. I can see giving POE, TL2, and GW2 money to extend and enhance my already enjoyable time spent playing them. Not so much with D3, it seems like it would be a wasted investment.

I know I will go back occasionally, mainly out of morbid curiosity, but I also know I won't be giving them anymore money.

We just ran our first dungeon raid in GW2 tonight and it was *awesome* (there's only 5 people in our guild, so getting a dungeon group together is a pain in the ass). Every time I think the game is burning out on me I try something new and get cracked out on it again.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased
36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Massive Event Teased Nov 6, 2012, 14:39 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2012, 20:28:
Btw, I understand cooking, but all the other crafting disciplines are a complete mystery to me. Can someone explain (or link to) how to get a crafting discipline going? I typically can get something to rank 50 or so, and then I've got nothing left to build that gives xp, and everything I check in my discovery pane is all for higher level crafters. Confused Sad Cry

Creston

I had that problem too back before they adjusted the drop rates and I went 20 levels with only like 8 vials of weak blood.

Basically, you refine your basic mats for that tier, then you gen 4 or 6 or 8 of each kind of enchantment/mod/sigil/whatever. Then for say Armor you craft 8 sets of shoulders, 8 sets of chest pieces, 8 sets of gloves, etc... Then you go into the discovery panel and start building out permutations of armor. Your crafting will skyrocket.

Also, in the discovery panel, you can drop an item in, and it'll grey out any incompatible items for recipes.

Eventually, at around 75, you'll unlock major sigils/enchantments/whatever they're called, which take like 8 vials of thin blood per, and that'll help left you up to 125, where the process starts over again.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter
30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 14:30 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 14:20:
$30 (approx) for a reward that gets the game. 60 day kickstarter!? Maybe they're going to release a ton more info but this project seems like it's not going anywhere.

I'm somewhat annoyed that SC chose the $30 starting price point to get the game instead of something lower like $20 or even $15. But they had a lot of stuff to show, they have big plans and the idea is to get everyone into an alpha inside of 12 months and a beta after that so at least there is something to consider with the $30 starting point. ($35 now I believe)

This project doesn't have anything to show. (right?) This is kind of like that Shadowrun MMO showing up right after Shadowrun funded. Feels a lot like that. Hey I can make a game too if you guys want?

Well you have 60 days to get something for us to look at...I would have said get that stuff ready first, then start the KS but maybe you didn't want to miss all the attention that is on SC right now?

Yeah if we get art assets, or some kind of prototyping, I'll consider it, but if I don't even see some design documentation I'll pass.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter
28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Nov 6, 2012, 13:48 Flatline

Yeah I'm gonna pass.

I kickstarted Shadowrun Returns on not much more, but there was enough "perfect storm" stuff going on that I felt like I could (and should!) take the risk.

1899 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo