Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1926 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
72. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 22, 2012, 17:24 Flatline

EverythingISayIsRight wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:23:
Remember when MW2 came out and people 'boycotted' it? This will be no different.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/11/1258035395841.jpg

People boycotted MechWarrior 2?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
27. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 17:18 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 15:13:
Ignore Fable 3, play 1 and 2 (2 is the best in the series).

And Peter left Bullfrog BEFORE EA bought it.

And do me a favor and go back 20 years and name 1 developer who has constantly tried new thing, dared to dream beyond the publisher's grasp.
Some of his projects are very different, but at least he's not shoving out Dungeon Keeper on a yearly basis.

Promising the moon when you know you only can go 20 miles is not "new", it's called "snake oil salesman".

Remember how you'd be able to plant a tree in Fable and watch it grow as time went on? Or *any* of what fable has ever promised us? What Molyneux *pitches* is nothing short of ground-breaking, but what he delivers is pretty banal.

News Comments > Maxis: That's Rain on Your Leg
42. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 22, 2012, 17:12 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 14:26:
Am I really missing the point? I'm not sure the point here is about if the game is good or not. But always online DRM. I've stated the DRM doesn't bother me because I haven't been bitten. All that said, the game still has to be good, I personally don't know that yet. Yes it may suck and blow at the same time.

Ya, you're really missing the point. This is EA we're talking about. You know, the people who shut down the online component of their games after a year or so?

If SimCity doesn't sell well enough, the servers will be pulled and you'll be SOL on a game you purchased 18 months after you purchased it.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle 7
9. Re: Humble Indie Bundle 7 Dec 20, 2012, 15:53 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 03:56:
Meh, Dungeon Defenders got old pretty quickly for me. Then again, I hate tower defense so your mileage may vary.

I as enjoying Dungeon Defenders for a while, and then it hit this phase where every single day/every other day I'd log onto steam and it'd the game would download anywhere from 600 megs to a gig of data. It seemed like whenever I *thought* about playing the game, it was updating and downloading data.

I finally got so pissed off after 2 weeks of this (saturating more limited pipelines when I wasn't at home) that I finally uninstalled it and refused to ever install it again.

In a perfect world this would be a lesson to developers: While too few updates is no good, daily fucking updates that are half a gig or bigger suck ass.

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
29. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 18:05 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 16:10:
RollinThundr wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 16:04:
Rigs wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:52:
So...umm, where'd all that bundle money go?

Plus, if they were to give Volition permission to go ahead with Freespace3, they'd be rollin' in it in no time! (Yes, I live in a fantasy world, doesn't everyone?)

=-Rigs-=

The smoldering ashes of Interplay still retain the rights to Descent and Descent Freespace.

BLASTED! Foiled again!

=-Rigs-=

Volition could easily create a new IP for a space sim game. Freespace was about as generic as it got in terms of actual setting. The gameplay, writing, and everything else made it a classic.

I still miss dodging C-Beams on a capital ship bombing run.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:57 Flatline

WyldKat wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:38:
Meanwhile GW2 players will be getting an expansions worth of content, for free, from the January/February game updates.

Source

GW2 has had a crazy content update schedule. I just find myself burning out on it after playing for a month or two and need a break. Which thankfully I can do.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
11. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 15:31 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:16:
ASeven wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:59:
Less than 200 people playing on PC. Wonder if EA will do another MoH and crash and burn all over again.

In the hopes that I don't have to eat my words...again...I'm gonna say that they'll probably let this franchise rest for a while now, thank god...You'll probably see it again in a few years back in WW2 or maybe even Nam, depending on what way the market leans. I'll just sit here and play the originals, when MoH meant kick-ass WW2 shooter... *breaks open the War Chest*

=-Rigs-=

Yeah, the Omaha Beach landing, while essentially a railroad, was a genre-defining moment. There aren't many military shooters that manage to match up to that. I wonder how it holds up today, ten years after all the derivatives...

Also, when are we going to have a AAA Korean War shooter? Every other war has been humped to death.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 15:17:
Flatline wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 14:42:
The obsession with the Hutt Cartel seems odd.

You waste an inordinate amount of time in the Hutt controlled systems, your P2W err... F2P currency is cartel coins, and your first major expansion is wanking off on the Hutts.

Fuck the Hutts. I'm tired of the Hutts.

THIS!
Ever notice with KOTOR 1 and 2, when new content came out they added an alien voice? I get that they are aliens, but it seems the 'catch-all' in Bioware Star Wars games is to throw in the alien voice over, which isn't a bad thing until you fucking hear it ALL THE TIME. So now we just get to listen to the same Hutt voice over for the expansion?

You want to make an expansion? You make it so it ties up what happened to the characters in KOTOR 1 and 2. You add co-op space missions. You make a dynamic NPC system ala Trek Online/Champions Online/City of Heroes that ANYONE can access it and not just max level players.
Hell if you really want to make money on it, throw in some sort of space combat system. Not quite SWG but more Trek Online with 4 players controlling their own ships and attacking a target and then boarding the target.

Just so many OTHER things they could do with it.

Actually if they integrated a worthy sequel to TIE fighter into the game I'd go back today and gleefully pay 15 dollars a month for that shit.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Dec 18, 2012, 14:42 Flatline

The obsession with the Hutt Cartel seems odd.

You waste an inordinate amount of time in the Hutt controlled systems, your P2W err... F2P currency is cartel coins, and your first major expansion is wanking off on the Hutts.

Fuck the Hutts. I'm tired of the Hutts.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2012, 19:36 Flatline

Prez wrote on Dec 15, 2012, 16:36:
I played the game for the free 30 days that came with the game (a friend bought me a key) without restriction and it was pretty terrible. There were hints of Knights of the Old Republic - enough to know that had Bioware made the game that most everyone actually wanted (KoTOR 3) instead of a half-assed WoW clone money grab it could have been awesome. It sucks massivley as a singleplayer game (which is all I was interested in it for) and if the server populations were any indication it isn't much better as an MMO. Despite it generally being considered a flop it probably made most - if not all- of its intitial investment back by now - best to cut their losses now and kill it because this turd is un-polishable.

Considering that EA/Bioware dropped like 300 million into TOR, I would hardly call it a "money grab". On paper it looked like the perfect formula to make a couple billion dollars over the next 10 years or so, but it obviously didn't turn out that way.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week
5. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Alpha Footage; Beta Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 00:53 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 13:57:
I am kinda sad none of my critiques were implemented.. I wanted smoother animations, more (2-3 frame) connections between animation steps as well as a smooth idle animation that's unique for each character. Because otherwise the best artwork is gonna look terrible. As well as a more solid particle system with advanced (openGL style) particle functions, like relative particle-age effects, where each particle of a certain age set can have different effect. I got shot down for memory reasons.. MEMORY REASONS in this day and age

I kinda stopped caring, though it is free for owners of AVWW1

I wanted an actual *game* in there. I played for 2 hours, achieved absolutely nothing beyond learning a couple spells, and quit the game, frustrated, bored, and vowing not to buy into indie hype any more.

It scarcely felt like a game at all, and yet was hyped to hell and back as being unbelievably AWESOME.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III DLC and Sales Record
3. Re: Assassin's Creed III DLC and Sales Record Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 Flatline

Funny enough... I now really, REALLY wish that Ubisoft would do an age of sail simulator game. The naval missions are seriously arcade-esque, but the detail and pacing and visuals are gorgeous, and come closer to my desire for a Master & Commander game than I've seen yet.

My ultimate wet dream would be a first/third person simulator with voice controls so I could scream out "On the uproll... FIRE!!!!" or call for the top men to trim sail, or order a boarding action.

News Comments > The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional
22. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 12, 2012, 18:07 Flatline

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 17:15:
"I didn't buy GW2... I never play a MMO without either beta or trial. And they didn't let me in the beta for Secret World (or GW2, for that matter) ;p "

Smart!!!!
GW2 was great at first, but Anet has really nerfed the game, reduced loot, no loot, or just plain junk,made it into a grinding game, or (what they really) spend real money on gems. Not near as much fun as it was.

Wish all the mags would review it again, I am confident that they would all lower their scores.

Maybe I'll give this one a go.

I had the opposite experience in GW2. Whereas at launch you'd get awesome loot drops every 5 levels or so I upgrade my gear every level or two with less-spectacular drops. Which I prefer. It's not as lucrative on the auction hall, but that's okay. The AH is funky though. I put in a super-low bid on materials, and usually get my order filled on the weekends when everyone plays, then I either resell at market prices or refine mats and sell if the profit is higher. I've been investing in my guild so I haven't accumulated tons of gold, but I generate a gold or two every week aside from playing, which isn't bad all in all. If I stop spending and just keep reinvesting, I'm sure I could make massive amounts of gold every week just by asking to buy stuff at cheaper than market prices.

The interface needs to be refined though for the AH. The buy/sell information needs to be available in both the buy and sell screens so you can see where the market is without having to click back and forth.

News Comments > Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored
13. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 16:53 Flatline

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 15:27:
I wish that the good ending/bad ending wasn't arbitrarily relayed to you by virtue of a loading screen, but rather explained to you the next time you go back to the city, and suddenly there are more rats, more weepers, etc. Then an NPC tells you that there's been a spate of murders recently, leading to a rat explosion, and that at this rate, there's no saving the city no matter what.

That would have made it far, far more awesome than the "if you kill people, it will lead to a darker ending!" blurb on the loading screen.

That said, fuck the dark ending. I'm murdering everybody. Oh, so you all thought that I betrayed the Empress, did you? Fine. Let me show you how such a person would really act.

His name shall be Lord Corvo Stabbity-Stab!

Creston

That would have helped, but it still wouldn't have addressed the underlying problem that playing "good" means you only get to use like 2 or 3 items and another 2 or 3 spells out of 15 items and weapons and a dozen spells. It sucks the creativity and sandbox nature out of the game entirely.

You should never, ever, EVER punish a player for playing the game the way you designed/intended. I frankly question the dev team's collective mind for thinking that discouraging a player from playing the game the way you designed and advertised it was a *good* idea.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 11, 2012, 14:29 Flatline

loomy wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 02:31:
the pvp delay is tied to them having no idea what they're doing. pvp was never coming.

I have a gut feeling you're right.

I saw a launch video in a Fry's Electronics that touted PvP for Diablo 3 and had video of it going on, so obviously the functionality is there and they just haven't flicked the "pvp = enabled" flag to turn it all on. Which begs the question: Why? Why take 6 months to a year to turn on a mode that, according to your own videos, already exists?

News Comments > Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored
6. Re: Dunwall City Trials Released for Dishonored Dec 11, 2012, 13:56 Flatline

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 11:15:
Well, #1, I'm trying to wade through everything else I have. (Steam shows me having like 82 games I've flagged as "new" which is a section I keep for purchased but unplayed games.)

And 2, I'm not overly wild about time trial stuff.

I'll snag it eventually, but right now I'd like to get through the rest of the fall rush I've not played yet.

Time Trials are fail, but the idea of getting to run around, even on a first playthrough, and not be forced into some BS moral binary decision format is a win. The biggest failure of Dishonored was that the game actually tells you that there's a good and bad ending depending on how lethal you are, sets up non-lethal takedowns for your opponents (some of which, like the branding, are pretty cool/appropriate I'll grant), and then gives you like 2 non-lethal takedown options: Darts and knockouts.

Imagine if Half-Life had "punished" you with a "bad" ending if you used anything other than your crowbar.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 04:07:
“We had to make that tradeoff in terms of where we were spending our marketing dollars. By the time you get to the store, or see an ad, the BioShock fan knows about the game. The money we’re spending on PR, the conversations with games journalists — that’s for the fans. For the people who aren’t informed, that’s who the box art is for.”

No. Just no...Let me get this straight, you're making the PR for the last game in a trilogy to people that don't know about the first two games? WTF?! By now everything should be devoted to bringing back the fans of the game for one more time, not new blood. Fuck the new blood! What about the ones that paid the cover charge twice before? What's in it FOR THEM? We should know already? Bullshit. This whole answer and motivation is bullshit...Did you see Bungie dumbing it down for newbies for HALO3? Or ODST? No. If you didn't know who the fucking Covenant were, you went back and played the first two. Or you read up about it. You did something OTHER THAN read the box, jackass...

=-Rigs-=

Bungie is a horrible example to tout. Their ad campaigns don't even have anything in common with the game other than the setting. They're top notch and engaging, but they have almost nothing to do with the eventual game you play. Halo 3 and the diorama/documentary thing especially.

And really people, you're nerd-raging over *box art*??? For the love of all that's holy, I fear for our species.

News Comments > GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer
33. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 06:41 Flatline

KilrathiAce wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:23:
ViRGE wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 20:15:
Overon wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 19:28:
Another argument for dedicated servers.
This has nothing to do with dedicated servers. It has everything to do with the server browser itself.

Actually it does, because the game itself does not allow one to host a server and another person to join at all without gamespy auth and server browser. So while its not only ability to host dedicated or peer to peer server its also issue of auth service.

Tribes 1 & 2 survived the master browser being shut off. All you need is a new master browser server and a line of text pointing to this new server, and you're good to go.

The problem is that I'm sure even if the community started a new master browser with auth turned off and issued a fan patch to point to the new server, this Glu company would sue the bejeebus out of whoever did this.

Whats interesting is that Flight Sim X is in there. I know there's still a relatively strong community surrounding the MS Flight Sim games. That must have pissed a lot of people off.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 16:51 Flatline

PropheT wrote on Dec 7, 2012, 13:28:
Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 are better than anything else on that list. Dishonored's clunky play and bad storytelling isn't even good, much less a GotY contender, and I still can't decide if I like Guild Wars 2 or outright hate it...partly because I haven't had any interest in playing it for months to solidify an opinion on it.

This year has really sucked for games, though. Last fall was packed, the year before was packed, and this year the only game I was even looking forward to was a Vita port from years ago. At least next year is looking good, since everything was pushed back until then anyway.

I haven't played Far Cry 3, and it's safe to assume Time didn't write this article at a point in time where they could play it (which is why naming GOTY before... like... the end of the year is stupid), but Guild Wars 2 is the only MMO that has managed to keep me interested for longer than 60 days.

That's pretty significant.

And I played the f*ck out of BL2, but it only brought a small amount of polish to the table over BL1, and is not GOTY quality for me.

And someone mentioned xcom for moddability. I was under the impression that xcom was more or less not mod friendly, at least officially.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
25. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:37 Flatline

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:16:
This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

I love both about equally, though depending on what games are out I'll waffle back and forth between them when considering which is my favored one. Granted the fantasy lore is more tied to standard genre tropes than the futuristic universe (which is insanely original) but it still has enough unique themes, nuance, and character to stand out among the pack.

What is I find a bit ironic is that Warhammer rarely gets credit for having been unique long before other more popular properties ***cough Warcraft** cough** Starcraft**cough** copied them pretty closely, and instead is blamed for being generic. It's a bit like saying "Alone in the Dark" is just generic survival horror.

True... 40k was the inspiration for Starcraft (originally it was supposed to be a 40k RTS, but they couldn't get the license because Games Workshop is one of biggest pricks in the world of intellectual property), and Warcraft was an homage to Warhammer Fantasy. Warhammer is the original.

Still, 40k, or as it's been called here and there, GrimDark, at one point didn't take itself nearly as seriously as it does now. The days of Rogue Trader were far more... ecclectic. The biggest remainders of those days that remains is the soccer hooligan Orks, who were too popular to really make "serious'd".

1926 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo