Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2181 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Zombie Oz to Set Up Us the Baum
6. Re: Zombie Oz to Set Up Us the Baum May 20, 2013, 21:08 Flatline

What a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Looking at the artwork I could never actually tell I was looking at Oz.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
19. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 19, 2013, 00:44 Flatline

shihonage wrote on May 18, 2013, 23:30:
What goes around, comes around, Nintendo.

Your Wii line-up sucked, your DS line-up only had a handful of games which weren't made for Japanophiles or little kids, your best 3DS game is still the last-gen title made for the original DS (GTA: Chinatown), and your Wii-U line-up is a big fat NOTHING.

Actually, the DS had a shitload of great games for it, and by and large JRPGs and the "uniquely japanese" games don't tend to appeal for me. I clocked in with nearly 50 games on the DS.

3DS had the misfortune to come out after the iPhone. I have no room any more for a dedicated portable gaming platform: I have my phone (now an android), my ipad, my laptop, and other technological gizmos. Between all of them, I get what scant entertainment I have time for from them.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
12. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 17:25 Flatline

The Wii-U lives and dies on it's software library. Just like any console. Make fun games and people will play the system.

I skipped the Wii even though everyone else I know got one, because it had no real "must have" games for me. There were some cool games, but not enough to push the system. With Gamecube, Metroid Prime sold that system to me on a 5 minute demo. It was that awesome. 360 sold me on Mass Effect 1 (which is part of why I'm so bitter about the ending of ME3). We'll see which system manages to sell me next generation.

Wii-U? Who knows. We've come up with some interesting ideas for the tablet thingie- using it in a open rallycar game, and a few other really asymmetrical manners, which is probably needed to get game devs thinking about how to shuffle things up.

Also, I wish next gen would just get off their asses and release apps so that you can interface your tablet with the console and make the Wii-U totally obsolete. I know MS did it with their surface tablet, but nobody is going to use a 1200 dollar laptop tablet thingie with their xbox. Just bite the humility bullet and put out an android and ipad app for 20 bucks and make a goddamn fortune.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse for iPad
3. Re: Frozen Synapse for iPad May 16, 2013, 13:37 Flatline

I bought this way back when, and it was a cool idea, I just... never got into it.

Kudos to them. I'm going back to playing Eclipse on the ipad. Excellent interpretation of an excellent board game.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 15, 2013, 14:18 Flatline

Never had a problem with the power button.

Now the Home button... what a piece of shit.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 15, 2013, 13:51 Flatline

mag wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:09:
Xbox 720 job ads point to X86 processing, PC architecture.

Isn't this already known? Like, 100%, no doubt, duh-duh-duh known? I thought the AMD CPU/GPU thing had been confirmed.

They must be using x86 in the literal sense, as in based on the 8086 architecture, because when *I* see x86 used in terms of architecture, I see "32 bit", which would make absolutely no sense whatsoever, because your total video and system memory are limited to 4 gigs, unless you want to go incredibly inefficient and code in extra memory processing, which basically eats your 5th gig of memory.

Same with the PS4. When they announced 8 gigs of memory on an x86 architecture, I thought "surely they mean 64-bit? x64?"

Which is actually f*cking awesome. It'll help push us past 32-bit support and help make 64 bit exes on the PC the norm. Which means we'll finally start getting *native* support to use our PCs better.

In fact, the only thing that makes me excited about this coming generation of games is that push to 64-bit.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: The Psycho Pack
9. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 18:28 Flatline

10 for a new character?

Yeah pass.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailer
5. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailer May 14, 2013, 15:06 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 14, 2013, 11:46:
Black Flag? So wth is Henry Rollins then?

That's what I was originally saying- Henry Rollins is a hardcore motherf*cking templar killing assassin in this unexpected twist to the Assassin's Creed franchise. Rock peoples nuts off and then stab them to death.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews May 13, 2013, 19:57 Flatline

Creston wrote on May 13, 2013, 10:52:
Meh on all these ideas. I love Garrus, but a game focused on him wouldn't work, imo. Garrus is awesome as the sidekick who can drop witty sarcasm on you while bailing your ass out of the fire. As the guy you'd be playing, he'd lose a lot of his appeal.

Just give us the damn Rachni Wars already. I doubt many people want to play as an "investigator in C-Sec."

Creston

Double-meh. While the ME setting is kind of spoiled for me now, I found Garrus to be kind of boring.

Why not go somewhere new, like as you said the Rachnai Wars, instead of haunting around the f*cking Shepherd story. They pissed and shit all over that story ending.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Downtime Continues
13. Re: Diablo III Auction House Downtime Continues May 11, 2013, 13:00 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 10, 2013, 09:02:
Warrax wrote on May 10, 2013, 08:33:
I say let it stay closed, the AH destroyed the game anyway.

Yeah I always liked the idea of lobby player bazaars with integrated chat. You need to preserve a sense of community and it would serve the same purpose. Exposing players to perfect rolls of every item in the game makes their drops feel less meaningful and creates a desire to only upgrade to the highest possible item tier. That's where a big part of player frustration comes from with the game.

I know the AH has been a big lament of the D3 team, they've said so a few times now that it didn't go the way they thought.

Yet they'll sit on all the f*cking money they raked in.

The fucked thing is that people 3 or 4 transactions deep are going to get boned by the threaded rollback. Say I hacked, and bought a bunch of shit. Okay I get rolled back. You get your stuff back and lose your money. But what happens if you've already *spent* that money? That transaction has to get rolled back too. And what happens if that person spent the money on socketing jewels? Do they become unsocketed?

I mean, where do you draw the line? The AH may be closed, but I'd be sorely pissed if some elemental part of my character was suddenly undone weeks after the fact.

News Comments > Sun Setting on Silicon Knights?
10. Re: Sun Setting on Silicon Knights? May 10, 2013, 14:15 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 10, 2013, 13:00:
siapnar wrote on May 10, 2013, 12:46:
I remember Dyack coming to my school in 2006, acting like Too Human was the next coming of Christ. The lead character modeler with him also seemed like a pompous ass.

Good riddance.

He was totally obsessive about that game, it was bizarre. He kept going on and on about how ambitious it was and that was why they kept missing release targets. Finally it arrived as a twin stick action game with shallow RPG elements, weak story, buggy as hell and capped it all off with a bad UI. I did have one friend who got so invested in the pre-release hype that he was in denial at release and still maintains it's the best game for the Xbox 360 despite the fact that he didn't even finish it according to his achievement list.

I remember reading a few months ago that the spare units were ordered to be destroyed by a judge as a result of the lawsuit, seemed like a fitting end for the whole debacle.

I moderately enjoyed Too Human. It didn't rock my world, but when you were swimming through swarms of enemies, leaving destruction in your wake, and your "dodge" was actually "murder bad guys over here", it got into a groove that kind of reminds me of a rhythm game like Rock Band. And during those times, the game was good.

The repetitive enemies, the 3 levels, the bad AI, the buggy gameplay, and any enemy that wasn't a swarm sucked donkey balls, and the story was severely truncated, but I didn't mind the cyberpunk viking mythos.

I dunno if it'd ever be as good as the hype, I don't think the design was there for example, but if they had taken something like God of War's silky smooth combat system with that kind of depth, and melded it with mowing down hordes of baddies, in that weird rhythm game-like groove, it might have had something serious going for it, if they overhauled the story and made it actually make sense.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today
29. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today May 9, 2013, 19:53 Flatline

Keilun wrote on May 9, 2013, 18:28:
There's no real details in their RMAH FAQ that discusses how they'd handle rollbacks for those situations. I'd guess Blizzard would just have to eat the cost. I have no idea what sort of activity the RMAH gets since I don't use it, but I'd hope it's a smaller amount of activity so that for the few hours the AH was up the number of those cases are minimal.

Really though, we just need a clear and concise message from Blizzard about how they are handling this. Everything they've said thus far has been vague and ambiguous, which is why the forums are ablaze with rollback petitions - no one has a clear picture of how they are handling the duped gold and how it was scattered across accounts.

I'd bet real money that Blizzard probably technically has to honor rollbacks in the RMAH, but is avoiding doing it and intentionally being nebulous on purpose, because as soon as you confirm or deny responsibility, that opens yourself up to either litigation or obligation.

Unless someone puts the screws to the Big B, my suspicion is that Blizzard would let just about anything go through the RMAH so long as they don't have to step in and actually take on obligation and regulation.

Right up until you start defining limitations, turning a blind eye is sort of acceptable because it's a "legal grey area".

23. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today May 9, 2013, 17:32 Flatline

descender wrote on May 9, 2013, 14:48:
Yes, but one well constructed SELECT could/should identify every last piece of it. Single out every account that shows a gold increase with no corresponding game or AH action... BAM... you just identified every cheater.

I think you might be underestimating a programmers ability to track things through a DB. Realistically... the scope of the problem is irrelevant once they identify the dupers accounts, which lead to transaction numbers that can just all be reversed.

They are taking it upon themselves to spend this time to do this... the easy solution would have been to rollback the entire world to before the dupe bug... but they must know they can identify the cheaters and rollback the proper transactions since they didn't do that already.

We can take this conversation a lot of fun ways from here... Blizzard not taking the easy way out (full rollback) inconveniencing 100% of the players is a bit shocking... the nerd-rage on the D3 forums of people who sold off gems to people with duped gold wanting to keep their now laundered duped gold is hilarious... but my favorite at the moment is the ten's of thousands of posts to the D3 forums (and 3-4 thousand people watching a live stream? really?) seem to indicate that this game still has considerably more life to it than say... Torchlight 2. Funny how that worked out.

If any of those transactions bled into the RMAH, they already said they won't be f*cking with that and won't be doing any rollbacks.

The question here is: Did the RMAH get impacted by the gold duping issue? If so, that's a far worse problem.

14. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Return Today May 9, 2013, 13:20 Flatline

TheDevilYouKnow wrote on May 9, 2013, 09:04:
"and the remaining thread suggests a class action suit."

I am not sure I am understanding this in the way it was written so please correct me if needed - the players are considering a class action lawsuit ? Based on what? That makes no sense to me. This game didn't cause mesothelioma from playing it. Granted the situation is awful but a lawsuit? Since they already own it how about ceasing to play that game for while, or at least until they fix it properly ?

If you can prove that they profited from the bug by driving business to the RMAH, then in theory you can prove that their reluctance to roll that money back represents at least a passive, knowledgeable approval of wire fraud, which is totally both a federal crime and a class actionable lawsuit.

It'll never win/go through/happen though. It's too geeky/technical of a lawsuit, and I'm sure the EULA has boilerplate allowing Blizzard access to all your money and to fuck your wife on your wedding night.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction House Foul-up
33. Re: Diablo III Auction House Foul-up May 9, 2013, 03:16 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 8, 2013, 14:41:
Wow I had no idea how much damage this had done so I did some digging online. Apparently tens of thousands of players were buying up god tier items with billion gold buyouts and giving them away. The economy could be totally obliterated by this, players who didn't participate effectively locked out. Its doubtful Blizzard will be able to reverse the damage even if they acted against the majority of the accounts responsible. Assuming they ban the accounts of the people responsible there's still the quadrillion gold in sold items that innocent sellers now possess which will inflate the economy.

They should have rolled back, I can't imagine why they wouldn't. It could be back to the stone ages for Diablo trading if Gold is rendered worthless again.

With an inflated economy in the billions or trillions for In game gold, that makes the RMAH all the more appealing to players! I suspect Blizzard would call that a "win!"

Not to mention they scored a nifty bundle off of the flood of cheap, desirable items sold.

News Comments > EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed
8. Re: EA 10% Layoff Report Confirmed May 9, 2013, 02:51 Flatline

So EA picks up the Star Wars licence, and they celebrate by laying off 10% of their workforce.

Awesome.

News Comments > Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser
4. Re: Death to Spies 3 Fundraiser May 7, 2013, 13:10 Flatline

I've always wanted a hardcore cold war espionage game. One that focused on and around the tradecraft of espionage.

The final exam of the OSS in WW2 was to drop you off outside New York City with 20 bucks, no ID, the clothes on your back, and gave you 24 hours to come up with as much confidential data from the government as you could.

How *awesome* would that be for a training mission?

News Comments > EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights
19. Re: EA's Exclusive Star Wars Game Rights May 6, 2013, 17:57 Flatline

I wonder just how much money EA stuffed down Disney's throat to take exclusive rights.

Must have been a LOT.

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals Fundraiser
1. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Kickstarter May 6, 2013, 15:53 Flatline

AND it's episodic?

Oh man... this has like every single warning sign in the book for "disaster".

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 5, 2013, 14:28 Flatline

Portable heads-up displays are still early technology, and I think when it finally matures it won't look anything like Google suggests.

First, while the "floating off the line of sight" thing is great so that you can focus on looking at things (sort of), we'll need to bring it to the center of our view and push it away again most likely. Focusing, while it gives you a headache now, is surmountable by user training (Attack helicopter pilots use a monocle HUD all the time. You get used to it.).

I read some technology way back about using extremely low powered lasers to project directly onto the retina for display purposes. Now that we have cheap-ass true-blue lasers coming out (LED based lasers if memory serves), this might become a power-efficient option again. I could also see something like Near-Field Communication induction technology sandwiched into a pair of contact lenses (the technology is getting there for the miniaturization) and your base unit just generates modulated EM radiation that is coded to your lenses and energizes them, creating an image that refreshes... oh... 4 million times a second. They'd be dumb-lenses: monitors basically, to keep the power requirement down and the thickness of the lenses as thin as possible. That detaches you from the current biggest issue: power. The chemists just haven't kept up with the physicists. Our computers are faster than ever, and the bits in our computers are becoming more power efficient which helps, but our batteries are not keeping up.

2181 Comments. 110 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo