Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2178 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month
13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month Jun 18, 2013, 17:29 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 14:38:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:04:
No inventory, no loot, only one magic class, amongst a ton of stripped features.

This game no longer holds the sway it held with me.

Yeah those issues, plus some other stuff now makes me wish I hadn't kicked in. And is a month going to make a real difference at this point? That doesn't bode well IMO - particularly given that this already had a major delay pushed back to a June release. And apparently there's another major delay for the Linux backers. They say the money is all gone at this point. What about the stretch goals? This could be a real problem for all kickstarters going forward if we're consistently seeing over promise/under deliver. Enh, I guess we'll see in another month.

Chances are the extra month of testing was to put the VR matrix rules back into the game. That came late in development. With a competent QA team a month is a long time to bug check if they're intelligent about it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month
12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Delayed to Next Month Jun 18, 2013, 17:27 Flatline

Julio wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 17:22:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2013, 12:04:
No inventory, no loot, only one magic class, amongst a ton of stripped features. This game no longer holds the sway it held with me.

Adding in the DRM fiasco and I'm no longer planning to buy this one.

Bullshit you were bitching about this before the Steam/DRM thing.

At least be consistent and not a worry troll.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion EMEA Release
5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion EMEA Release Jun 17, 2013, 22:42 Flatline

How many more times do you think they're going to re-release this game?

I bet there's at least 3 more "releases" in it's future.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2013, Part Six
46. Re: It Came from E3 2013, Part Six Jun 17, 2013, 02:56 Flatline

To an extent, E3 does still have a sexist objectification of women. It's not as bad as it used to be, where you'd get hooker ads and phone sex cards handed out to you on the floor and there was more T&A than at a strip club.

But hiring a set of tits to show off so that horny nerds come in to pay attention to your game is derogatory to all parties involved.

To the con-goer it's insulting because it says "hurr durr you need titties to make you focus on a product for more than 8 seconds".

For the woman it's "show off more cleavage, don't forget to smile, and if a guy starts grabbing at you just... kind of shoo him away. While smiling. And keep him interested in the game."

For the people developing the game it's "our game is such shit it can't compete on the trade show floor. So HERE'S SOME TITTIES!"

It's better than it used to be though. Poor girls running around in lingerie and bikinis being groped by fat sweaty nerds who sprint from one booth babe to the next getting their picture taken because it's the closest to a hot girl they'll ever get without paying 500 an hour. It was rather disgusting.

Thing of it is, what is lost if the booth babes went away? Nothing substantial. As people like to point out, PAX is booming, and it has a no booth babes policy.

I don't see why people are losing their shit over this. Unless you're the type of introvert that relies on booth babes for exposure to the female half of the species.

News Comments > Thief E3 Presentation
31. Re: Thief E3 Presentation Jun 14, 2013, 21:22 Flatline

I'm... not impressed with it.

Maybe it'll end up better than it is now, but right now this feels more like an old school Splinter Cell game than Thief.

The mechanical eye thing is way, way, way overdeveloped. And considering that it's compensation for defeating the trickster in the first Thief... Where the hell does it come from in this one?

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 22:34 Flatline

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 21:18:
It's good to know Microsoft soon will be dropping out of the console race, as Xbox One is going to tank.

As much as I'd love it to tank I doubt it will. Xbox sales stayed brisk through the red ring of death debacle. This is nothing to having three or four consoles get sent in for repair.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2013, 14:03 Flatline

Verno wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 12:28:
"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing," he said via Twitter. "The numbers do NOT work people."

CliffyB's latest troll rant against used games is up and he predictably backs Microsoft, claiming that modern game development and marketing is too expensive to support a used game market. Of course one might wonder why the marketing and game budgets need to be this high in the first place when people will spend millions on something like Terraria and Minecraft, surely there is a middle ground to be found there.

Destructoid absolutely decimates his argument, thought people might want to take a gander.

That tells me that the next "generation" of gaming should be about making AAA quality games *cheaper* to produce. Meaning faster, easier pipelines.

I've been predicting that games are going to peak on budget since the beginning of the PS3/360 generation. The solution to this isn't to yank fair use doctrine and force consumers into what amounts to an outdated pattern of game development, but to push, and I mean *really* push, to make games cheaper and more efficient to produce. That's it really.

Either that or admit that you've hit a certain level of fidelity that is just not economical to get past and go back to investing in content.

News Comments > New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced
14. Re: New Warhammer 40K MMORPG Announced Jun 12, 2013, 16:34 Flatline

KS wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 16:14:
KS wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 15:11:
I wanna be a swarm of little StinkBois, or whatevet the hell they are called.

Note: I don't want to be a character who controls the swarm. I want to be the swarm itself.

Like the dog pack consciousness in A Fire Upon The Deep.

DO SOMETHING UNIQUE DOG DAMMIT! Stop pooping out reskins.

Ya know what, forget it. Pearls before swine. Some subgenius would implement it as a single character with an "animation" of little creatures flipping around, rather than as a literal swarm of independent, swarm-behavior entities.

Too much for the common yokel programmer to implement. And the powers would be single-character instead of well thought-out swarm-based things based on actual independent creatures.

Err... the bandwidth and amount of processing power to implement 500 individual AIs and animate them all for the sake of *one* player is kind of absurd. Imagine a thousand players on a server, each with a 500 snotling horde. That's 500,000 gamestates you have to keep track of, store, and sync, and that's just for a handful of players.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2013, 16:30 Flatline

For once Pachter and I agree on something.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 15:57 Flatline

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 15:26:
Flatline wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 14:18:
Frankly, I'll take the rule of law guy.

And this would be the guy who unconstitutionally (as determined by several federal courts) declared the Congress to be in recess (when the Congress said it wasn't) so that he could appoint people to the FLRB without Congressional oversight? Overstepping 250 years of legal precedent (and the direct wording of the constitution) to do so? I'd hate to see what you'd call a non-rule-of-law-guy, then!

You can tell when you've been completely blinded by your ideology, because you start to argue that the cyanide tastes better in the purple rather than the red Kool Aid...

You mean the congress that violated 250 years of legal precedent in order to obstruct for political purposes the constitutionally mandated duties and privileges of the President of the United States during a time of war?

The same Congress that is, at this moment, trying to take control of a military base (GETMO) away from the President so he can't close the detention center there, flagrantly disregarding the constitution's assignment of the military to the executive branch?

We can play this game both ways.

And what does a non-rule-of-law administration look like? How about flagrantly manipulating intelligence and lying to congress to declare war on a country for arbitrary reasons, costing us trillions of dollars, tens of thousands of lives, hundreds of thousands of lifelong injuries, and inflicting as many as half a million civilian casualties? How about ten years of warrantless wiretapping? How about ten years of state sanctioned torture, extraordinary rendition, how about two presidential terms of signing statements that completely invalidated the purpose of the Congressional branch of government? How about the establishment of the procedures and programs that have evolved into the PRISM program itself?

And where the fuck were you 12 years ago when the PATRIOT act was passed and all this shit was put on the table in the first place. I'll bet that you were fucking scared and thanked God that you had a strong leader to protect you. Where the fuck were you when the PATRIOT act was re-upped in 2005, 2006, 2010, and 2011? This shit has been going on for over a decade and only now it's just starting to become an issue for you? This is like you getting pissed off, today, that the Y2k bug turned out to be so much hype.

You also ignored the part where I said I had an issue with all this shit period. If I have to live with it, at least it's under a FISA court review. Yeah, it's a rubber stamp, but it's better than "going to the dark side" as our frickin then vice president said.

If I had my druthers, I'd shut the whole fucking thing down and start prosecuting. You're more likely from food poisoning than you are to be involved in a terrorist attack, and yet we're willing to sacrifice our most basic, core freedoms for this pseudo blanket of security.

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 14:18 Flatline

NKD wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 13:59:
Anyone who thinks this situation would be any better or worse with Party A or Party B in power is a delusional fuckwit who is playing right into the hands of the real powers in this country.

Eh... I'll draw the line there. While you aren't going to see one side for and the other side against this kind of behavior, there *is* a difference in who we elect.

Let's deal facts: In the Obama administration, this is, as far as we know (and that could change in the near future, at which point I'm getting the pitchforks and torches out) conducted under FISA court supervision and congressional oversight.

In the Bush administration, there were repeated attempts to circumvent both FISA court supervision (remember when they called those laws "quaint"?) and congressional supervision, and at one point they tried to get a sedated, hospitalized Ashcroft to sign off on blatantly illegal monitoring activity, to which thankfully he refused.

While the end result of the monitoring still goes on, I'd argue there's a difference, albeit pretty small, between doing it following the "rule of law" as it were and saying "Fuck it laws don't apply any more because of TERRORISTS!"

Frankly, I'll take the rule of law guy. At least there's a theoretical chance we can change the law and undo the damage that way.

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 10, 2013, 14:12 Flatline

Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 10:36:
The best part is Obama was nominated and elected president by running against this very thing. Our government is crumbling. With all these scandals the actual good work the NSA and IRS are intended will be cut off at the knees while they're investigated for years.

I hate to split hairs, and for the record I'm really pissed at the government for this, and have been for 13 years, but in 2008 Obama ran against the warrant-less wiretapping and eavesdropping on American citizens.

Thus far, as far as we know, Obama took the spying back to FISA to get authorization. The problem is, FISA is so secretive we don't know what these orders look like. Obama offered to open up old FISA ruling so we could find out what they looked like, but is getting stonewalled (surprise surprise).

Someone *did* leak an Obama-era FISA court warrant though recently. It basically says "for the next 90 days you're authorized to eavesdrop on any electronic communication or phone call in the USA." So every 90 days someone goes back to FISA apparently to get the rubber stamp to continue for another 3 months, making all of this *technically* more legal than the Bush era.

So Obama is doing more or less what he's promised he'd do. He's getting court orders to spy on us. The problem is that there are no other candidates who say "fuck no" to spying like that in general and aren't batshit crazy to boot, so we don't get the debate on this. It just happens.

I dunno, considering I'm more likely to die from an allergic reaction to a bee sting than a terrorist attack, I'd rather take the risk, be personally vigilant, and retain my privacy.

News Comments > FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500
17. Re: FreeSpace IP Sold for $7500 Jun 7, 2013, 14:14 Flatline

If memory serves Interplay was the original publisher of Freespace, and between Volition and Interplay the rights were whacked up in a dozen ways akin to System Shock, and direct sequels were more or less impossible. I remember hearing that from Volition years ago.

It sounds like Interplay and THQ had half of a map so to speak, each half of the IP more or less useless without the other half, so when the fire sale came up there is no value to the Freespace IP unless you own all the rights.

So while you or I could probably have purchased THQ's stake in Freespace, we couldn't actually *do* anything with it without Interplay's rights.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 13:08 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:54:
As for the Blade Runner news at least we can all relax and be fairly certain that Blade Runner 2 (TWO, lol) is going to be a piece of shit DOA kind of movie, was kind of tired of keeping my hopes up.

Bladerunner is one of my favorite movies. I hate the idea of a sequel though. Especially by Ridley Scott, who as he's gotten older has lost sight of his art. He was smart enough not to answer flat out if Deckard was a replicant or not in the director's cut. The WHOLE POINT of the movie is that you don't know and it doesn't matter. Answering the question either way is the "wrong answer".

Phillip K Dick was a paranoid schizophrenic who dropped acid and suspected that he was living in 1970's Los Angeles *and* 1st century BC Rome simultaneously. His work constantly questions definitions of reality, humanity, and free will. There are no definitive answers to his questions, and trying to create definitive answers misses the point. The act of asking the question is what makes us human.

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
19. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 12:45 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:23:
Please dont lynch me, but Im thinking about getting a windows8 smartphone. They are dirt cheap, and look pretty & functional. (The OS makes sense on a mobile phone, who would have thought...) Should I rather go Android? This is my first smartphone and I dont really look forward to it but my old phone is dying as we speak.

Okay... if you're going to get a win8 phone, do yourself a favor and get the Nokia I think it is that has the cellphone camera of doom. The thing gives most point & shoot stand-alone cameras a run for their money. I can't review the Win8 phone as I've never used it.

That being said, for Android, you have two choices: A nexus 4 or wait. If you wait, at least the Galaxy 4 and possibly the HTC one are going pure android in the near future. Difficulty: 600 dollar price tag (nexus 4 is significantly cheaper, but is not LTE. An LTE Nexus 4 may be on the horizon though). However, it unchains you from the atrocious upgrade paths of handset makers, who have to take stock android and reprogram it with all the specific phone shit you don't need. HTC is especially notorious for being bad at updating handsets, which combined with the business rumors of HTC swirling around the bowl makes anything other than the vanilla android edition of the HTC One hard to recommend, which sucks because I have it and feel it's a superior handset to the Galaxy 4, which felt plastic-y and overloaded with gimmicks I didn't care about.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 3, 2013, 21:32 Flatline

It's not that big of a shock-

I was looking at the Enterprise 3 level of Office and it's fucking incredible.

20 bucks a month per user is steep but you get:

* Full office suite for up to 5 machines per login- users get to bring Office to their home computer

* 25 gb exchange account- exchange is AD integrated.

* Unlimited online archival of mailbox (archive folders are easily and instantly accessible)

* sharepoint intranet website with 3000 sub-sites

There's some more stuff that I'm missing too.
Yeah it's kind of expensive, but that kind of product- plus not having to actually support a metal exchange server and the ease of accounting is really, really appealing.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2013, 16:54 Flatline

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 03:31:
The only "stigma" about contractors is that they're always there hoping to be pulled on full time, and so they're unusually kiss-ass. And up-tight because they're aware that they're kissing too much ass.

(I'm not sure if you were just referring to the game industry, but) I work with more than a few contractors (outside that industry, and was one myself for awhile), and I wouldn't say that was my experience. Provided you're in the right field, you can do your job well without kissing ass or "being uptight", and still be successful.

While I don't think you meant it as such, your blanket statement was a little...insensitive?, I guess. It's not like that everywhere...

I was describing the perception of contractors, not the actual reality.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2013, 02:56 Flatline

Sepharo wrote on Jun 1, 2013, 01:33:
Is that any different anywhere? The contractors are always the outsiders... that's kind of the point. Yeah if you're the best contractor and you mesh well with the team you might get hired on as a full employee with benefits.

I have a bit of a bias against low (and some supposedly high) level software contractors. I feel like they couldn't make it as a full employee somewhere and end up at the contract house. Now they hop from company to company crapping up the code. Sounds harsh but I kind of question the intelligence of someone choosing to sign up with a contract house. Though I do realize that's the only option sometimes (gotta eat) and it's not inconceivable that I'll end up at one someday.

The only "stigma" about contractors is that they're always there hoping to be pulled on full time, and so they're unusually kiss-ass. And up-tight because they're aware that they're kissing too much ass.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 1, 2013, 02:55 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2013, 23:19:
The problem with making game software is that it's a 2 year cycle and you only need certain kinds of people for short periods of that cycle. You need the concept artists for a couple months, ditto sound and soundtrack guys. You need QA for six. If the company is only working on one project, it's hard not to use contractors.

This author had success doing music, with IMDB credits even. You'd think he'd be able to get a job in the audio department. Strange that he'd try and start in QA.

Look at the resume masquerading as an article. His music experience up to that point was a string of failed adventures and walking away from projects/businesses/opportunities. I'd be afraid of hiring *anyone* like that. Hell he even stopped showing up before the end of his contract.

I'll be honest, most of the A-AAA budget music/audio is pretty good these days. 20 years ago this guy totally could have gotten in with a AAA studio and been lead audio within a couple years, but that was 20 years ago when Westwood Studios was asking for lead project developers... and video game development experience was preferred but not mandatory.

QA is a meatgrinder, and to expecting it to be a fast-track into the industry is a goddamn joke.

News Comments > Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback
45. Re: Blizzard Confirms Titan Setback May 30, 2013, 04:03 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:22:
Xero wrote on May 29, 2013, 11:23:
So Blizzard take 10 years to complete a single game within their current franchises but then when it comes to putting out a new IP they axe it? lol.

I must get a job there:

A. I will rise quickly.
B. I can sit around and do little and get a check for a decade before they catch on.

I always wanted to work for a more liberal company, really.

The friend I had that worked in call support said it was a fantastic place to work at, even though they paid the CS people shit. There was always rock band or some kind of shindig or the full gym or something else to do if you ever looked around and realized you worked your ass off for 10 bucks an hour and never was going to move anywhere in the company.

Then they sacked most of their WOW-related CS and she got a job that didn't have rock band marathons until 2am, but did pay her triple what she made under the Big B.

I generally got the impression it was kind of a party over there for years.

2178 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo