Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1926 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
37. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 18:51 Flatline

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:41:
At the beginning of the game, 90% of the map should be super dangerous and kill you, not 5%.

Thus creating an incredibly linear experience. Which I'd bet 20 bucks you'd bitch over.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2013, 01:15 Flatline

Tom wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:32:
Part of the reason for that is of course that there are no f2p games that offer any immersive fun gameplay experience.

Meanwhile, League of Legends has like zillions of players, then there's Tribes: Ascend, Airmech, Path of Exile, Mechwarrior Online, Planetfall 2, etc. F2P is not just crap like Farmville, browser games, and failed MMOs. It includes some hardcore games, some of which are actually pretty good.

It's a brave new world. Between F2P and KS, publishers are being kicked to the curb pretty good now. LOVIN IT!

And all those decent F2P games tend to not hold your sense of fun hostage, at most they allow you to quickly customize your play experience to what you want for some cash.

Which again is completely missed by Cliffski here.

And I agree with Eraser. For many games, if I haven't plunked money down on it, I have almost no attachment to the game. It has to rock my f*cking socks off for me to keep coming back to it. Whereas if I'm already invested, dammit, I'm going to get my money's worth of fun out of this thing if I have to wring it dry.

Let's make this a practical example. If Cliffski had made Gratuitous Space Battles F2p, and I started playing it strictly on it's merits, I probably would have lasted about 10 minutes... well before even the first hypothetical pay-threshold. As is, since I blew 20 bucks on that... thing... I stuck with it for a few hours before moving on.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2013, 22:18 Flatline

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:45:
"Only a fool could try to rationalize NOT spending money on it [a game you paid nothing for] now…"

Very well Cliffski, now please make all of your Gratutious game titles a real gratuity and offer them for free.

Only a fool wouldn't give away his games for free, according to your 'logic'.

You're assuming Cliffski's games are actually fun investments of time. In my personal experience... they aren't.

Yeah, Cliffski is kind of a blowhard and is demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the Farmville F2P game model.

In reality, most players either peter out before that plateau, plunk down a buck or two and quickly hit the next plateau then get frustrated and quit playing, or play sporadically, and due to the lengthy wait induced by the plateau, and forget about the game and stop playing.

It was something like the .01% of users that are referred to as "whales", that will spend tens of thousands of dollars on your game that the game actually markets to. They spend so much that it makes the game overall lucrative.

And that is, exactly, the math and the rationale behind F2P.

The problem with Cliffski's approach here is that you're basically strong-arming gamers. "hey... that's a nice little game you've got there. Lots of fun right? Be a real shame if all that fun and investment suddenly went kaput right? 99 cents ought to clear that right up though for a day or two however..."

I can't remember the last post he's made where I haven't thought "f*cking asshat..."

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Trailer
31. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 03:00 Flatline

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 22:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 21:44:
Flatline wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:20:
You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.

It was an request of MANY backers in the Forums to get email updates, most of us can't be arsed to check dozens of sites every day to see what is new. I wish all Kickstarters would do it actually.. or at least give you an option. And the mails come only once every 7 days, hardly every 17 hours ;p
I agree, and I'd rather see too many updates than too few. With too many, one can just ignore or turn them off (in kickstarter settings). With too few, there's no way to get more information if that information isn't there in the first place.

Also, many email accounts/programs (such as gmail) should be able to do things like filter into other folders if its from a certain email address. It would be the work of probably less than 1 minute to setup a filter for such email that would send it to a kickstarter folder, or directly to trash if desired.

Since I really don't care an awful lot I didn't pay super-close attention to Star Citizen updates. I backed it, and the first thing that comes out after I sign up for the forum is an incredibly elaborate system of asking for more money, and the first several updates seemed geared towards getting me to sink more into the game. So I kind of tuned it out and only read subjects that are interesting to me. So I went back to gmail and looked, and what's happening is that I get every update at least twice: once from kickstarter and once from the forum. Usually about 4 or 5 hours apart. And totally different subjects of times. Which is where my impression that they update multiple times a day comes from.

Edit: Part of my problem is that these games are working on razor thin budgets, and each update does have an actual, monetary cost associated with it. We've seen 20+ post-kickstarter updates for Star Citizen, and if each took an hour to generate, that's a significant amount of work-hours spent on talking about the game instead of making the game.

If I have a choice, I'll take the devs giving us monthly updates as opposed to weekly ones. Concentrate on the work. Please.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Trailer
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 16:20 Flatline

You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.  

News Comments > Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming
18. Re: Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming Feb 8, 2013, 19:44 Flatline

Tim wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 04:51:
I'm a huge fan of AC but I did find 3 disappointing - performance bugs (i'm SLI'd with two 670's) and graphical glitches too didn't help (snow was broken for SLI). I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY that there wasn't enough assassination and that the game world felt a bit 'empty' in terms of interesting stuff to do. The naval missions stuff was great fun though

Also, connor - what a block of wood. He was so damn BORING wasn't he? Glad he's 'retired'. I wasn't a big fan of the setting either (i'm a brit but it wasn't the brits being bad that put me off it's just that area of history lacks much interest for me - probably diff. if you're a yank I guess). It lacked the mystique of the eras of the previous games. Perhaps it would of helped if they'd hung on to Jesper Kyd for the music too - I always found his compositions added so much to the atmosphere of the game and, although the new guy wasn't terrible by any means he didn't compare for me.

So more assassinations next time, a more interesting setting and hey, lets have some of those cool side dungeons to explore again please - the tomb raider-esque puzzly bits were a lovely break from the fights.

Yeah Connor was too stoic in AC3. And there wasn't nearly enough neck-stabbing. And once I got the hidden blade, knife, and tomahawk, I rarely used any other weapons in the game.

News Comments > Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars RPG
45. Re: Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars RPG Feb 8, 2013, 19:39 Flatline

Siygess wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 17:34:
It's simple. Obsidian just have to raid Karen Travis' work on the Rep Com books and churn out an RPG sequel to Republic Commando. It's set in the right timeline and it can feature at least one former Jedi without being a game *about* Jedi

Oh sweet jesus... an x-com style tactical RPG using Republic Commando?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I *still* go back and replay RepCom. It was a great game.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced
10. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Season Pass and Bug Hunt DLC Announced Feb 8, 2013, 13:19 Flatline

I was surprised at the 30 dollar price tag. Highest price yet for a "season pass", and as much as many games these days. I wonder if they've priced themselves too high.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Gold
24. Re: Tomb Raider Gold Feb 7, 2013, 20:21 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 18:19:
Optional nickname wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:49:
Tomb Raider was responsible for every computer enthusiast to buy ourselves a Voodoo 3DFX addon card, back in the day.

Will buy this new release, love playing them, even if they're just shelved after.

No it wasn't, Quake was. I've never even played any of the Tomb Raider games. Probably because I never had a problem getting girls IRL and didn't a virtual girlfriend that only ever sold in the first place because of her huge cans and short shorts. It was sad then and is still sad now.

Thank you for clearing that up.

F*cking revisionist history.

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
42. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 18:44 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 17:56:
That's where the whole 'fun vs realistic' thing comes into play. Sure you could go your route but it wouldn't be very fun or much of a game. So, if they do make an ME space-combat sim then they'll have to introduce some new weapons and concepts. Obviously fighters were effective to some degree in the universe or they wouldn't have been featured in the game (even if it was only a 2-min clip in a cinematic, it's still 'canon'). You can't really go by weapons available on the Normandy to show what weapons might be available to fighters or lesser craft. They're totally different. I agree that maybe having Corvette-sized ships available to play as might also make it somewhat more interesting. Hell, you could go the Starshatter route and start out in fighter/bombers and work your way up to the big guns. Now that would be the bee's balls right there! Especially if the visuals were close to the cinematic in quality and in the ME universe and if the last campaign was the battle at Earth, where you command a fleet of cruisers, destroyers, frigates and fighters/bombers and then have the option to jump into any one of those craft to fight... Drool Yowza!

And you're right, it doesn't have to be the Mass Effect universe, but it would be nice to have a big-budget space-combat sim...

=-Rigs-=

Fair enough, and towards that end, my favorite fan theory is that the fighter pilot is the far distant descendant of Leroy Jenkins, which I just find stupidly amusing.

And considering how relatively few polygons you're pushing in a space combat sim, we should be able to get near photo-realistic on a big budget space combat sim.

News Comments > BioWare: Mass Effect 4/ME4 References "A Disservice"
37. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 12:06:
I was watching the 'Fleet Battle' from the third game, when they all go after the Reaper fleet after jumping in-system and when they cut to the fighter pilot getting ready to engage, I thought that this would be an awesome game on it's own! I would love to fly a fighter in a massive fleet battle with these kinds of pyrotechnics and immersion and with the ME's story background, it would have plenty of stuff to add in. Maybe start out sometime during the middle of the second game and run concurrent to ME2/3's story with Shepard, but telling it from a different angle and explaining how other parts of the military got ready for the fight. It's kind of the same thing I thought about when they included some space dogfighting in HALO: Reach, it would be wonderful on it's own and fleshed out with it's own story amidst the larger conflict... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

We don't need Mass Effect though for a kickass space combat sim. We just need someone to make a kickass space combat sim. I'd be perfectly happy with an original IP.

And once you get into development, I think you'd encounter issues with an ME space combat sim. You'd have like... two weapons. Your rapid fire mass accelerator, and your heavy mass accelerator. No space superiority fighters, interceptors, bombers, or variants among loadouts and or much of anything interesting. Fighters actually seem like they're an inefficient solution in the ME universe. Corvettes seem like they'd be the best starting point- large EZ0 reactors for powering the mass effect fields necessary to launch heavy ordinance or maintain rapid fire. The mass effect field makes maneuverability a null issue- the closer you crank down the effective mass of an object, the more effect you see from thrust. At effectively zero mass, maneuverability becomes infinite from a thruster standpoint.

With that kind of maneuverability and firepower, you'd need insanely powerful computers (not necessarily AI) to pick the most statistically probable firing solutions and saturate them with fire, as well as evasion computers who are trying to calculate evasion patterns that are hard to predict. Not to mention once these slugs leave the mass effect field they're subject to plain old relativity now, which makes time dilation *really* fucking complicated.

Taken to it's logical ends, I don't see fighters... or even frankly organics, taking part in space-based battles. The organics strap into G-force webbing/cocoons and wait for the central computer to finish the fight.

Which, oddly enough, is how space combat works in the book Forever War by Haldeman. Definitely worth reading.

News Comments > Leviathan: Warships Announced
2. Re: Leviathan: Warships Announced Feb 7, 2013, 01:42 Flatline

fujiJuice wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 21:09:
I wonder if it is in any way related to http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63027/leviathans Sounds similar, wish I could get someone to play it with me.

Nope... and I suspect a C&D in the near future. Leviathans the "minis" game is an airship minis game by Catalyst Gaming Factory, and this is a different IP.

And even knowing the difference, I was confused at first too, which is probably a bad sign for copyright.

News Comments > The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Announcement
10. Re: The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Announcement Feb 5, 2013, 19:25 Flatline

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 19:15:
Quinn wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 18:55:
The scary, foreign, elf-like creatures that expressed emotions so alien and impure.. even Geralt didn't know what to make of them, and it genuinely scares him.

thats what faeries were like in the old-school

I wouldn't be surprised if the original polish text they weren't elves but fae.

A lot was "adapted" pretty loosely from the original polish supposedly.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year
24. Re: The Witcher 3 Revealed for Next Year Feb 5, 2013, 14:50 Flatline

sauron wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 12:18:
PHJF wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 08:43:
How much sexier can they make Triss???

A lot of games are happy to show violence but very few are really comfortable with sex. The Witcher games are totally fine with it, which I kind of like - there's no double standard.

Not sure why they're that way - European developer?

In the source material Geralt basically screws anything female that'll rub up against him.

News Comments > Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support
35. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 14:40 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:28:
Flatline wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:21:
Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:12:
rist3903 wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 13:59:
I think not making games in one of the most expensive places to live might be a good start.

The talent pool in the industry (in NA) tends to be concentrated in several areas and getting people to move or establishing a new location can be very costly. It's getting better but it takes time and people tend to hang around geographically to the big players as that's often where the jobs and projects are.

True be we are just now starting to limp out of 4 years of recession. It's an employer's market, and I know people would relocate all over NA for a steady job on their own time over the past few years.

Games industry however seems to have gotten bloated enough that they aren't fast-reacting like they used to be. Seems to me when dev studios can be planted just about anywhere and game sales are down, that getting some talent together in a place where cost of living is 1/3rd other parts of the country makes sense. Even if you don't cut pay correspondingly, your money goes a hell of a lot further.

Some people are willing to move. Some aren't. It's a lot to ask someone to sacrifice their family's home for a job, especially when others are available nearby. Plus, moving is expensive. It takes an enormous amount of money to move a company. Just to wind down or break your lease, find a new place, move all the equipment - enormous money. Then there are the employees. You lose some good ones. You have to replace them, which costs a lot. You have to pay to move others, because they almost definitely will not follow if you do not pay. They have to worry about selling their homes for more than the mortgage. They have to worry about finding new homes and putting down payments.
It's not a very easy thing.

Many companies went to Raleigh, NC or Austin, TX due to pricing, but ultimately LA and SF are the centers of North American game development.

SF is a clusterfuck (I've heard of 3 hour commutes one way just so that you can afford to work in SF), but I'm an LA native, and thankfully, usually within 60-90 minutes of wherever you work you can find fairly affordable housing. Cost of living is bullshit though.

I also wasn't talking about moving an established company, but rather someone like EA or UBI or whatever founding like EA: Misery... err... Missouri and pulling talent out to the middle of BFE. It was bad enough a few years ago that people would have done it.

News Comments > Silent Hunter Online Trailer
9. Re: Silent Hunter Online Trailer Feb 5, 2013, 14:37 Flatline

Keith wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 22:33:
I really liked Silent Hunter III. SH IV had too many bugs, and I never picked up SH V because it is widely reported to have even more bugs than SH IV. Still, there is something to be said for cruising the Atlantic (or the Pacific) and trying to stealthily approach convoys so you can nail them broadside with a torpedo strike. Hopefully UBI has learned its lesson on releasing bug-ridden games with draconian DRM. The lack of trust in UBI at this point is evident in less than expected returns on the latest Ghost Recon release, as well as Anno 2070, etc., etc.

SH4 is worth the like 10 bucks you pay these days for it, though you have to mod the fuck out of it. The Trigger Maru mod with the difficulty cranked up kicks my ass like there's no tomorrow, and if you want a more historically accurate Pacific, someone did a campaign called Run Silent Run Deep that redoes most of the major battles and recreates 1000+ historical convoys from the entire war.

SH5 is supposedly decent if you mod the shit out of it and get some user patches to fix crashes/game stopping bugs, but the mods are tempermental and have to be installed from what I last saw once you progress to a certain point in the game.

29. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 14:21 Flatline

Verno wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:12:
rist3903 wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 13:59:
I think not making games in one of the most expensive places to live might be a good start.

The talent pool in the industry (in NA) tends to be concentrated in several areas and getting people to move or establishing a new location can be very costly. It's getting better but it takes time and people tend to hang around geographically to the big players as that's often where the jobs and projects are.

True be we are just now starting to limp out of 4 years of recession. It's an employer's market, and I know people would relocate all over NA for a steady job on their own time over the past few years.

Games industry however seems to have gotten bloated enough that they aren't fast-reacting like they used to be. Seems to me when dev studios can be planted just about anywhere and game sales are down, that getting some talent together in a place where cost of living is 1/3rd other parts of the country makes sense. Even if you don't cut pay correspondingly, your money goes a hell of a lot further.

28. Re: Notch Backtracks on Psychonauts 2 Support Feb 5, 2013, 14:17 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2013, 14:01:
Also, any graphics intensive AAA game will cost you over 18 million.

Hell, a bog simple game licensing UE3 and making 0 engine modifications will likely have a baseline of 10 million. That's how much Epic has claimed Gears of War cost, and I'm guessing it was because their accounting put the engine build into the UE3 budget, not into the Gears budget.

Just think about it. Odds are you need:
- 2 engine guys. Figure $120k/year, round up to $150k to include benefits
- 1 lead developer. Same price
- 10 programmers. $85k
- 6 artists. $40k/year, round up to $50k
- 4 gameplay designers. $50k/year, round up to $65k
- 5 animators. $65k
- 10 map designers. $65k
- 2 sound guys. Same price as artists
- 1 music guy. $80k
- 1 writer. $120k
- 4 dedicated testing leads. $30k
- 10 additional testers. $20k

That's already $3.5 million. Figure $9 million for a 2.5 year development cycle. On top of that you need:
Cast. For Psychonauts you probably need at least 30-40 people, as it had a lot of characters. You need to pay them, pay their travel, pay for someone to record. $500,000
Occupancy. Rent for a place for 2.5 years, plus utilities? Given the juice they're running, figure $300k per year.
Equipment. You need a lot of good computers and expensive software. They already have a bunch, but we'll still take $500,000 on
Engine license. $1 million

We're already over $11 million, and we haven't taken a ton into account. There's the people not actually involved in the game development such as the IT team, the executives, the administrative staff, the HR people, the CFO, etc. It's ignoring taxes that need to be paid. It's ignoring the free food in the break room. And many of these numbers are lowballing.

I doubt that psychonauts 2 was ever intended to be a AAA title and more a labor of love though. Or at least, that's what Notch was probably figuring. DF apparently I guess figured on running the entire studio on it and not doing it as a side/indie project.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
36. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:08 Flatline

So the Kotaku link has pretty much most of Tiny Tina's dialog in the game in it. On reflection, and hearing it all at once, it sounds more like college "bro" slang than anything else.

No story here, just some white guilt. Move along.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
33. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 3, 2013, 15:45 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:49:
But if Tina was black it would be ok, just like it would be ok for me to call other gays faggots? (which I don't unless they are flaming faggots, in which case I just beat them with their own purses and stab them in the eyes with their overpriced shoes they bought after watching a episode of Sex in the City, but that's another story)...

*goes off to watch Louis CK describing a Cinnabon as a fat faggot treat and isn't offended in the least bit*

I still don't understand why you might call a gay guy a bundle of sticks. I guess I can see why you might call him a cigarette, I mean, you have to suck on a cigarette to make the tip turn red.

1926 Comments. 97 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo