Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1864 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 14:28 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 11:24:
They hint at him being tragic, though. He clearly loves his daughter, he's just deranged. He thinks he's doing what's best for her (which coincidentally happens to be best for him), but there may be some cause for that, given what happened with her mother. Possibly.

That's not just Jack though. Through most of the game, they'd set something funny and goofy up, and you'd go pick up echo recorders and find out the joke is actually pretty sick and twisted and depressing.

I remember running through the Hyperion Game Reserve and picking up the echo recorders that showed Tina's parents being tortured in front of her and her using her "doll" (ie: hand grenade they gave to her so she could kill herself I suspect if things got bad enough) to escape. It turned a silly, good performance into something not particularly funny any more.

I suspect that's all meant to make Jack a better villain, which, yeah... he is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 14:19 Flatline

It's also nice to see serious, frequent post-launch content being released. Yeah, most of it is extra end-game dungeons and crap, but that's pretty effing cool.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 17:15 Flatline

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 11:01:
UConnBBall wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 09:15:
WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

OK how about you get prosecuted for something that benefits all of you!!!

If you don't know the story and if you don't understand suicide SHUT UP!

This is a huge story about someone that has helped the world and yet you guys just ridicule someone that did a selfish act and killed himself and you guys belittle this "quasi-celebrity!" Learn about Aaron and stop being stupid.

Suicide is never the answer. There is no excuse.

That's a rational statement. Suicide is an irrational act. When you're suicidal you don't see things logically or rationally. You're usually caught up in soul-crushing despair, to the point that not-existing seems like less pain than what you're feeling. Rational arguments or bon mots like "suicide is never the answer" can actually do more harm than good, because it increases the alienation and deepens the despair. Even one person tossing that out can make the suicidal person feel like the entire world is callous to where they're at and make the decision to kill yourself that much easier.

The sad thing is that the solidarity that's being shown right now, with hundreds of paper authors basically doing what he did via twitter, might have been enough to crack the despair in him while he was still alive.

News Comments > On Assassin's Creed III Tech
6. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:02 Flatline

So am I the only person who after playing the ship missions who really, really wanted a Napoleonic Wars sailing game? Maybe a little more sim-like than Assassin's Creed 3, with boarding & cutting out expeditions, navigating rough storms, fleet actions, and all kinds of other tasty stuff?

The *real* geek in me would love a game like that which had the option to respond to vocal commands, so I could shout out "Wait for the uproll!" and hear my orders carried down the gundeck: "Aye sir! Aim for the rigging on the uproll boys! Wait for the Captain's word!"

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
57. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 11, 2013, 20:12 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 10:56:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 05:47:
they have a subgenre called "brostep" too.. think about that for a minute and tell me you are still down with it

Is that what they play at Bronie conventions?

Oh, and GitS, GitM and Deus Ex all heavily borrowed from Cyberpunk, not the other way around. Really only Blade Runner outdates Cyberpunk, but then again Cyberpunk borrowed heavily from Blade Runner.

So it's not that hard to see similarities.

Creston

Actually, Cyberpunk ripped the flatlined heart out of Neuromancer. GITS, while cool, also owes a lot of it's genetics to Gibson, Stirling, Phillip K Dick, a touch of Heinlien, and a few others who were out there in the late 60's through the early 80's either writing cyberpunk or proto-cyberpunk.

And as for dissing musicians who are charismatic leaders... well... Shit, look at Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Taylor Swift. And that's just the pop groups. ICP has their juggalos, NIN and Marilyn Manson had pretty devoted followings (Manson almost to the point of humor but I digress). The concept is nothing new. Shit go back and look at the fascist portions of The Wall. Look at John Lennon. Maybe the contrast in Cyberpunk turns up to 11 and reaches elements of silliness, but no more so than the rest of the genre.

Edit: Cyberpunk itself is outdated as a genre. A lot of it's tropes and predictions fizzled, but really that's okay. It's "alternate future" now, on par with fantasy more than predictive sci-fi.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
34. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 11, 2013, 02:35 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:58:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:53:
Badass trailer. Says nothing about the game, of course, but it looks fucking great.

Creston

Yeah, you could probably guess from the cleavage, but that trailer is NSFW.

That's a pretty cool world they created. I'd like to see gameplay on that one for sure. CD Projekt has a good track record.

It's actually R Talsorian's Cyberpunk 2020 setting, advanced 50 years. And as an old fan of 2020 (never got to play the original cyberpunk) they've done, art design wise, an incredible job here. The trailer is dripping with references to the game.

I'm looking forward to it. I always preferred Cyberpunk to Shadowrun, even though SR was a lot of fun, CP was more pure sci-fi and early trans-human than SR was.

Oh, and as far as the music, while it was kind of cheesy, Rocker Boys (I kid you not that's what they're called) are a big part of the game. So yeah, cheesy music, but actually highly appropriate in the setting.

News Comments > The War Z at War
34. Re: The War Z at War Jan 4, 2013, 22:19 Flatline

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:42:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:28:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 11:27:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:50:
They deserve everything they get negative wise.

like murder! they should fucking die!

GET THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!

Yes because thats what i ment exactly.

its a fucking free-to-play game

get over yourselves

this is some preschool type shit.. "waaaaaaaaah!! he stole my cookie!! waaaaaaah!"

EPIC.
FAIL.

News Comments > The War Z at War
33. Re: The War Z at War Jan 4, 2013, 22:14 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:37:
nin wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:31:
ASeven wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:27:
You reap what you sow and these guys sure are reaping a plentiful harvest of nastiness.

Pretty much. I can't say I feel pity for them, after everything that happened.

You should. As crappy as the situation is, a DoS attack is never the answer. Especially since DoS attacks have high amounts of collateral damage.

Are we sure it's a real DoS? If they were really the scam artists that they're being accused of, a "DoS" sounds like a great way to throw up your hands and walk away.

There were accusations that the game would get it's plug pulled if it wasn't profitable enough fast enough, and now that the cat's out of the bag oh hey look nobody can play any more due to the nasty evil hackers. We'll "try" a few things and then shrug and walk away from it and say "you're on your own kiddies!"

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Soon?
6. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Soon? Jan 3, 2013, 15:15 Flatline

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 14:01:
Oh terrific. For years we couldn't get a decent Shadowrun game going.
Now we have a glut of 'futuristic games'.

Jesus Christ there's no pleasing some people.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 13:32 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 04:14:
I wish I could give it to Dishonered, but binary moral decisions suck donkey balls. If they had ditched that completely, it'd be easily GOTY material.

Most the decisions in Dishonored weren't binary at all. Choosing between killing someone or having them abducted, head shaved, tongue cut out and sent to work in a mine for the rest of their life isn't exactly black & white. It's more like dark gray & pitch black. In most cases, the non-lethal options were more cruel than the lethal ones.

The only binary moral choices in the game were the ones where you can choose to rescue some random citizen or let them die.

As for Spec Ops, while the writing is definitely interesting, the gameplay is utterly uninspired and completely contradicts the themes the game is trying to convey. The game is supposed to make you question the ethics of war and violence, yet the gameplay is solely about mowing down hordes of cannon fodder.

Err... the game is supposed to make you question why you play modern war games. It has nothing to do with actual war, and everything to do with all the stereotypes of being the lone super gunman who goes in and saves the day after leaving a trail of corpses. Remember, your mission in The Line was to see if anyone was alive in Dubai. If so, you pull out and radio for help. In your first firefight you blow away that order, and it's so far gone by the end of the game that the loading screens point blank ask you if you remember the original goal of the game. Konrad is usually speaking directly to the player, it's just the main character who responds (in character) to keep things moving along.

I don't see how the game could have worked as a critique of modern shooters and the modern shooter fan without feeling somewhat generic.

If you read some of the dev notes for The Line, I promise you there is loads of detail they layered into it that reinforce all the themes of the game, to the point where there's a spooky amount of thought put into it. I don't think the slow-mo head pops on headshots and the point system was anything other than blatantly intentional.

I haven't played enough of Hotline Miami yet, it's wickedly difficult, to see if the story goes to the same places, so it might supercede The Line.

As for Dishonered, the game flat out in a loading screen says killing people = bad ending. It doesn't get much more binary than that. Would it have helped if they never said that "out of character"? Absolutely. But while I enjoyed the major characters' non-lethal falls (and will give them full credit for the inventiveness of them all), the tools you're given for a non-lethal or less-than-lethal game are sadly anemic compared to the utter artistry that you can engineer if you're going full lethal. Yhatzee has it right. Playing the game with minimal kills is boring as fuck, while playing the game with your whole tool kit is awesome sauce.

Otherwise the art direction, world building, and fluff text was beautiful and engaging- it's a world I want to explore more of actively. When I first read a physical description of just what the hell whales were in this world it was kind of freaky, because it sounds like they're half Cthulhu/half whale thing, which made me question pretty much all of the underpinnings of the world I was in. Good stuff.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2013, 04:00 Flatline

PropheT wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 20:01:
Pete wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 17:19:
The good parts overshadowed the bad in mass effect 3

I sure don't think so. Despite enjoying most of what led up to it, the ending is what stuck with me.

Gaming publications seemed to be jumping all over themselves to shit talk anyone who said something bad about it at the time, though, and have taken potshots at people who've complained about the ending ever since. It's not much of a surprise that they're giving it GOTY awards despite better games being available.

There were moments of extremely good writing and pacing and storytelling. Mordin probably was the high point of the game for me. I intentionally stopped playing before the stupid star child ending, and felt that the game half hit and half missed. It told some fantastic, actually moving stories (Seriously, the romance with Tali was satisfying), but missed big time on the "your choices make a difference in the end!" concept, which was the underlying feature of the ME series.

In the end... not GOTY material.

I wish I could give it to Dishonered, but binary moral decisions suck donkey balls. If they had ditched that completely, it'd be easily GOTY material.

Oddly enough, despite being pedestrian in gameplay, I found Spec Ops The Line to be the game *I* kept thinking about for months after my single playthrough. I almost don't want to go back and look for stuff I missed the first time. Whereas I enjoyed Bioshock playing gently with the idea of blindly following directions in a video game, The Line felt like a meditation on the modern day shooter genre in general, right down to the loading screens receiving real thought behind them. Superbly well written, with strong voice acting and some moving visuals, I think it *did* what it wanted to do better than most games this year, and I'd probably give it my art house GOTY award.

Oddly enough, or maybe appropriately enough, I didn't feel *good* at the end of The Line. I felt cathartic- sort of like how I felt after watching Saving Private Ryan for the first time, but I didn't feel *good* or *happy*.

News Comments > Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved
35. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 30, 2012, 00:55 Flatline

Armengar wrote on Dec 29, 2012, 10:06:
Steam sale has stocked me up for a few more months and I was gifted SH4 + uboat and SH5 (which I avoided being a UBI game with silly DRM). SH effectively wipes out months of my free time so I don't see D3 getting a look in anymore.

I didn't care for SH5 actually. Too arcade-like.

SH4 though... pick up Trigger Maru Overhaul (I didn't like the run silent run deep campaign which essentially emptied the ocean of enemy shipping and set it to something historical) and prepare to have your nuts rocked.

One of the most intense sessions I've ever played in a video game was running a 12 hour chase through black squalls and near hurricane force winds to get a firing solution on a massive Japanese convoy that contained "top military officials- A once in a lifetime chance- good luck!".

I couldn't quite get ahead of them, even running all ahead flank, so eventually, under the cover of darkness I slanted in and conducted a running surface battle with the convoy, and then spent the next three hours slinking away underwater trying to avoid depth charges.

Epic. Utterly epic.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal
11. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal Dec 27, 2012, 15:08 Flatline

yuastnav wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 04:39:
I just read this and wow... what a non-answer. I really liked the first one (for the first ten hours or so) but reading this bullshit and how he dances around the question without providing an actual answer is astounding.

And they know they messed up because otherwise they would not try to stifle all discussion about the mouse. This game basically just died for me.
If these are the kind of design decision they like to make then I don't wanna play their games anymore.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. They intend to sell this one on consoles. The number of people using a gamepad on PC is tiny I imagine compared to mouse & keyboard, so by focusing on gamepad only gameplay, the only thing I can surmise is that they're aiming for a console release.

I like how they say "If you want to use the mouse, go play the first game". Yeah... the game that was so borked and broken they publicly apologized and promised to give us the new game for free if we bought the first one.

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal
6. Re: A Valley Without Wind 2 Presale Deal Dec 26, 2012, 17:45 Flatline

Asmodai wrote on Dec 26, 2012, 16:34:
And the sequel is shit, mouse control has been removed so as to not disadvantage controller players...

Wait seriously?

Bloody hell... I wonder if this version is even going to be playable. The first one was an experience in ass. That it sold enough to fund a second version is a testament to the idea that even indie games can survive on over-hype.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Five festive video game cocktails Dec 26, 2012, 01:38 Flatline

Most of those game cocktails are fucking disgusting.  

News Comments > Christmas Legal Briefs
15. Re: Christmas Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2012, 23:35 Flatline

Oh please... HBO is owned by Time Warner, who is in the cable business. They have absolutely zero interest in promoting cable cutting, especially as HD cable with a standard decoder box and basic cable is going to set you back 50-60 bucks a month, and usually runs closer to 100 bucks a month. HBO is a loss leader at that point.

The premium channels drive cable subscription, which is where the money is. You'll never see HBO Go on it's own or sensible a la cart charges. That defeats the entire purpose of renting you a cable box and charging you for 400 channels you'll never watch.

News Comments > Project GODUS Funded
36. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 02:30 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 22:22:
Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 19:46:
Yeah, people seem to forget it got bad enough that Molyneux wasn't even allowed at events like E3 without PR handlers to keep him from promising all kinds of crazy shit. It's a wonder he never got hit with multiple class-action suits.

You mean like the Far Cry 3 E3 Demonstration? Or the original Alan Wake demonstrations? Or the tentacle monster from Half Life 2? Or ... hell I could go on all day.

Fair enough, but I'd counter that while individual elements got bumped out or left out for whatever reason, the shit that was supposed to be in Fable was something that even today couldn't be done. Permanent, long-term consequences to every important (and some unimportant) decisions you made.

Hell, google "Peter Molyneux Apologizes" and you'll find like half a dozen personal apologies for over-promising shit over and over and over again.

35. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 23, 2012, 02:25 Flatline

entr0py wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 01:06:
TychoCelchuuu wrote on Dec 23, 2012, 00:28:
Yeah Molyneux did a great job with Spore... probably because he didn't overpromise at all.

Because he didn't work on that game.

Yeah, somehow I confused him with maxis. Okay to replace that I thought Dungeon Keeper was great at the time. His recent track record doesn't leave me very hopeful, but I do like that they're trying something unusual.

DK2 was, IMHO, superior in just about every way for me thank DK1.

And Black & White was basically Populus with a Tamagotchi. It was fun, but hardly revolutionary.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
72. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 22, 2012, 17:24 Flatline

EverythingISayIsRight wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:23:
Remember when MW2 came out and people 'boycotted' it? This will be no different.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/11/1258035395841.jpg

People boycotted MechWarrior 2?

27. Re: Project GODUS Funded Dec 22, 2012, 17:18 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 22, 2012, 15:13:
Ignore Fable 3, play 1 and 2 (2 is the best in the series).

And Peter left Bullfrog BEFORE EA bought it.

And do me a favor and go back 20 years and name 1 developer who has constantly tried new thing, dared to dream beyond the publisher's grasp.
Some of his projects are very different, but at least he's not shoving out Dungeon Keeper on a yearly basis.

Promising the moon when you know you only can go 20 miles is not "new", it's called "snake oil salesman".

Remember how you'd be able to plant a tree in Fable and watch it grow as time went on? Or *any* of what fable has ever promised us? What Molyneux *pitches* is nothing short of ground-breaking, but what he delivers is pretty banal.

1864 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo