Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1902 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Dirty Bomb Alpha Access
17. Re: Dirty Bomb Alpha Access Feb 1, 2013, 18:00 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Feb 1, 2013, 10:47:
The game play footage looked better than I expected but those prices are crazy. I assume f2p grind a thon?

It looked like TF2 without the personality. I saw zero innovative gameplay at all during that teaser. Why should that game get my gaming time and money compared to, say, Tribes?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
24. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2013, 20:34 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 20:15:
Sorry, missed the sarcasm in your paragraph of bragging about saving money.

You're right, because one guy with an Amazon prime account could totally tank Amazon's profit margin.

No hyperbole there.

News Comments > Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft
19. Re: Zowie Bowie Directing Warcraft Jan 31, 2013, 18:02 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 10:03:
While we are on the subject of movies and all the remakes (re)imaginings that are being done today, I think someone should have another crack at Dune.

Lynch's Dune was such a craptastic movie that no one is willing to touch that project with a ten foot pole.

Visually Lynch's Dune was fantastic aside from a few things here and there. The acting was anywhere from solid to tolerable, and I always felt the film captured the world of Dune and managed to butcher the story. I know that originally Lynch wanted a story far closer to the book but the studio over-rode him and wanted the happier ending (rain on Arrakis), and that he wanted the first book to be a full trilogy instead of a 2 hour film. When that didn't work, he asked for 3-4 hours and they told him to kiss off.

He did the best with what he could I think, and managed a lot of visually interesting moments.

Compare that to the more story-accurate high school play atrocity that was the Sci-Fi miniseries abortion... With felt clothing, absurd costume design, horrific acting, terrible casting (Eastern Bloc Fremen FTW!), and set design and lighting that was an abomination (seriously... wrinkled back drops with sand piled up on the bottom, with the back drop painted in blues but the set lit in green... that reflected off of the back drop...), the miniseries *almost* ruined my love of the story and it was years before I felt like revisiting it.

Any remake of Dune would have to tread very carefully and devote itself to some serious world-building while still being true to the story.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer
22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer Jan 31, 2013, 14:46 Flatline

Someone needs to remind game makers that Hicks' shotgun wasn't regulation.  

22. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2013, 14:36 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 08:20:
Anyone who has owned Amazon stock for any length of time is pretty happy. Up 39% over the last year, up over 250% over the last 5 years.

Dude it's called a *joke*.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 31, 2013, 03:11 Flatline

Anyone who owns stock in Amazon I'd like to personally apologize for probably significantly eating into your profit margins.

See, I have Prime, and especially before the sales tax thing kicked in for California, I used to buy pretty much everything through the mothership if I didn't need it that day.

Why? Free 2 day shipping and usually pretty competitive prices. Cheaper than paying tax and gas and wasting an hour running errands.

So if I needed something, I bought it on 2-day. Thing is, I wouldn't aggregate my purchases like if I was doing super saver shipping or paying shipping. I'd buy one or two cheap-ass items and 2-day it to my house. I have recycled so much amazon cardboard that I can't even begin to imagine how much it is and I don't even want to think about how much postage I've saved. I know Amazon gets discounts, but we're talking thousands of dollars at least. So much so that I've noticed that they're slowing down my purchase shipments now. I bought an RV switch for 8 bucks and shipping was at least 2 bucks, and instead of it taking 2 days, it took a week. Anything over 25 bucks I've noticed is still on 2-day... usually... but they don't jump on the shipping like they used to. I imagine because of asshats like me raping Prime for all it's worth. Best goddamn 80 bucks I ever spent online. Half of my teardrop trailer is Amazon purchased, pieces at a time, and I must have saved as I said a couple thousand dollars in shipping.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer
5. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Trailer Jan 30, 2013, 23:42 Flatline

Lorcin wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 21:37:
Who invited 2005's graphics to the party?

Looks like someone took Left 4 Dead and made an Aliens mod.

You have the horde (normal aliens), the spitter, the smoker's smoke clouds, the tank, the boomer, they're just missing 3 or 4 different enemy types to be a complete ripoff of L4D2.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Crisis Averted
32. Re: Crysis 3 Crisis Averted Jan 30, 2013, 15:02 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 14:49:
Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2013, 10:56:

That would be far more believable had EA in fact not already done this exact thing, and had they not taken months to fix the issue even after the "media" excoriated them for it.

Creston

But, but, but Creston, that was a BUG! HONEST! You can't have an email unsubscribe system that isn't tied into your forum banning system! It's just not possible! You have to write a specific exclusion to prevent email unsubscribers from getting banned from the forums. It's complicated stuff! We thought we'd excluded everyone, but some of them got through! The tech team is working on quashing that bug as we speak!

So if it was a bug, and the bug slipped through the cracks, who gets banned from the EA service then? EA themselves?

News Comments > Dead Space 3 Microtransactions & Game Modes Detailed
2. Re: Dead Space 3 Microtransactions & Game Modes Detailed Jan 29, 2013, 23:43 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 23:21:
Wow. Horrible.

Boycott is required for this game now. 10 dollars just to play coop online? Rofl.

Sad. I really, really liked the original Dead Space, and even found DS2 to be pretty enjoyable.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeonland Jan 29, 2013, 23:39 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 22:21:
After watching a couple Let's Play of this... I have no idea what it is. Neither did the reviewers. They seemed to be enjoying themselves though.

It's basically a co-op ARPG. There are 3 classes, and you can unlock a total of 4 jobs per class. There are weapons and armor suits and potions and skills and perks to unlock.

You run around and kill mobs, 3 players at a time. Everyone gets the loot equally, and everyone heals on picking up healing, and there's a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Visually, it looks like a board game. Specifically, a happier, goofier version of Descent. The map is made up of cardboard tiles, and you'll run by giant polyhedral dice.

Think of it as a graphically updated Castle Crashers, without the apparent insanity of that game (granted, I only played for about 20 minutes on the copy a friend gifted me).

The humor is very dark and tongue-in-cheek. Think Dungeon Keeper 2, though questionably not of that quality.

News Comments > Lace Mamba Global/CBE/J.U.L.I.A. Follow-up
3. Re: Lace Mamba Global/CBE/J.U.L.I.A. Follow-up Jan 29, 2013, 18:20 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 10:16:
Notice that nowhere it says that the allegation of non payment is wrong. So they didn't pay and want to talk about it?

Yeah that's unbelievably common. I can't count how many times I've had clients try to stall paying their invoice by "needing to talk to me" or "I don't quite understand this invoice, please call me before I can pay it" or "we need to speak before I can release the check", and then proceed to play phone tag for a week or two, and then refuse to admit that the payment is late.

News Comments > Morning Previews
16. Re: Morning Previews Jan 29, 2013, 00:39 Flatline

It's okay. It's not the end of the world and I haven't inadvertantly cracked out on it for 12 hours. I don't know if it'll hold my attention much though.

I'll agree it's an improvement on D3. The minute-to-minute play of the game however is far less engaging for me than even GW2. There may be more longevity, but I'd have to get seriously engaged in it, and I dunno if it'll do that for me.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 27, 2013, 18:44 Flatline

^Drag0n^ wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 17:12:
Post-Steve Apple is certainly doing all it can to not follow his playbook.

I cannot believe that, if alive, Jobs would actually have stood behind changing the form factor of the docking connector with NO performance improvement. I honestly believe this to be the greatest Achiles Heel of the current generation of iDevices. Were steve alive, I'm certain that any new dock connector would have been accompanited with corresponding USB3-level speed updates.

As it is now, the iPhone 5 is exactly the device he cancelled just prior to stepping down: an iPhone 4 with a biogger screen, and nothing else.

^D^

I was expecting Apple to coast for a good 5 years before it felt the loss of Jobs, but it looks like the company is going to take it in the shorts much, much quicker than that.

I have the iphone 4 since everyone at work has an iphone and they wanted me to support it. It's a good phone. It's the first iphone that is "good enough". The home button is failing mechanically, which pisses me off something fierce, but other than that it offers enough features that I have no need to upgrade to the 4s or 5. In fact, I may leave the apple ecosystem after this phone. My contract is expired but the phone still works "well enough" that I don't have issues keeping it going until the battery starts to go, and if I could replace the battery and the home button, I'd probably use the phone for a few more years.

And that's something I'm not sure even Jobs can deal with. The problem with that hyper-aggressive iterative development cycle is that sooner or later you get a product that pretty much is what a customer needs, and they'll be reluctant to upgrade and eek out as much life as possible. Cue planned obsolescence, which is the hallmark of Apple these days, but still... What can you do with this phone that's so revolutionary that you justify the ecosystem? I don't even find myself jonsing for 4g that bad.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jan 27, 2013, 04:07 Flatline

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 26, 2013, 22:36:
Reading both this and the preceding article about Nintendos software announcements this week the guy is clearly on crack. Game announced 10 minutes ago? Must be vaporware. Wtf? Did the commonly accepted definition of the word change and I didn't get the memo? My understanding was it refers to products that continually miss release dates with little to no visible progress in development.

Of course he's on crack. He's advocating that gaming companies shouldn't pitch developing games a year or two in advance, because 30 years ago it took less than 6 months to produce most games.

If you don't pitch upcoming software, you don't move consoles, and you don't develop a big enough user base to attract more desirable titles. I point to the Vita and the PSP for textbook examples of what a shitty lineup of upcoming software will do for a system. If there were a half-dozen must have titles announced for the Vita tomorrow that generated real buzz, on the level of Pokemon or Zelda or Forza or whatever, then you'd see a much higher adoption rate of the system and probably some actual life in it (possibly... I have a feeling portable games like the 3ds and the vita are relics on the way out, like netbooks).

News Comments > Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP
18. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 17:07 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:53:
Homeworld wasn't about a great story; it was a great game because it was a story well-told inside of an absolutely unforgettable experience. And the music... ah the music! The evocative soundtrack has yet to be topped by any game in my opinion.

Anything that uses Barber's Adagio for Strings elegantly is epic win.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines "Kick Ass" Trailer
14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 15:15 Flatline

Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 13:38:
McSterls wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:55:
Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:49:
I just love how you guys make an opinion about graphics made from a video and probably made on the console version. Sarcasticclap

Isn't that the point of them posting videos' to get potential players reactions and influence sales? Maybe we should just have someone tell us what to think and go with that. Also, the voice actor sucks.

Wrong, you heard a narrator, not actual in game voice actors. I have faith in Gearbox, especially after BL2 and how well done the voice actors were in that game. And about those graphics. Letís get realistic for a moment. Yes graphics are nice to have, but at the end of the day it comes down to the game play and story.

Those are what sells gameís, take a look at Minecraft. shitty graphics, but over 10 million copies sold. The game play sold that game. Sometimes, you all put entirely way to much emphasis on graphics. Iíll take a really good game over graphics any day. And coop is a Hugh plus when it comes to these types of games.

Err... Minecraft has zero gameplay, or maybe .00001 gameplay since there's like zombies and stuff. Minecraft is Planet: Lego.

Anyway, the graphics look circa doom 3 to me. The PC version looked better but they're still missing a lot of aesthetics. For all their effort on getting the right film grain look and stuff, a lot of those color balances feel awful... well... off.

We'll see though. I'm not expecting much, but I'm still on the fence.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines "Kick Ass" Trailer
12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 24, 2013, 15:07 Flatline

McSterls wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:55:
Darks wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 12:49:
I just love how you guys make an opinion about graphics made from a video and probably made on the console version. Sarcasticclap

Isn't that the point of them posting videos' to get potential players reactions and influence sales? Maybe we should just have someone tell us what to think and go with that. Also, the voice actor sucks.

I thought to myself:

"Huh... so Duke Nukem is going to be your sarge?"

And I guess we have some plot holes filled in. A rescue mission is dispatched and gets f*cked over, so they send you in to mop up. I guess that works.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Plans
20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Plans Jan 23, 2013, 17:04 Flatline

Axis wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 13:06:
Age doesn't matter -- integrity does. In the "real world", if you have no integrity you are the king of loser.

Err.... bad grammar aside, you do realize how laughable that is right? Look at HSBC: They knowingly aided terrorist organizations in laundering money, cooked the LIBOR rates for 10 years, helped rich SOBs in the US set up tax evasion shelters, and they were deemed too big to prosecute, granted immunity, and fined a billion dollars, which is like... six months profits for them.

In the real world, "integrity" basically means "easy mark". It sucks, but it's the truth.

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
29. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Jan 23, 2013, 16:49 Flatline

We know that (for many players) itís much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and weíre working to make improvements in that area.

Totally waiting for the auction house consumables to buff magic find for 60 minutes.

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
17. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:45 Flatline

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:43:
Redmask wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:21:
If the worst result of this sale is that I have to click launch twice in Steam and uPlay to get into the South Park RPG then I can live with that. The Koch Media purchase is an odd one, I think they're the parent company behind the Dead Island guys. The companies and IP are often two separate things, it would be good to know which companies are being purchased with their respective IP intact or not.

You forget the probable always online requirement.
Unfortunately UBI getting it is terrible in my eyes. Not sending them a single cent anymore.

I thought Ubi ditched the always online requirement for all games.

http://tinyurl.com/cnrymoc

1902 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo