Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1864 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III PTR Updated
29. Re: Diablo III PTR Updated Jan 23, 2013, 16:49 Flatline

We know that (for many players) its much more rewarding to gear up from items that you find while playing normally than it is to necessarily go through Auction House, and were working to make improvements in that area.

Totally waiting for the auction house consumables to buff magic find for 60 minutes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
17. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:45 Flatline

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:43:
Redmask wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:21:
If the worst result of this sale is that I have to click launch twice in Steam and uPlay to get into the South Park RPG then I can live with that. The Koch Media purchase is an odd one, I think they're the parent company behind the Dead Island guys. The companies and IP are often two separate things, it would be good to know which companies are being purchased with their respective IP intact or not.

You forget the probable always online requirement.
Unfortunately UBI getting it is terrible in my eyes. Not sending them a single cent anymore.

I thought Ubi ditched the always online requirement for all games.

http://tinyurl.com/cnrymoc

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
14. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 16:41 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:30:
Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:19:
22 mill for Volitionm, does that include their IP's?

Anyone wondering Kock Media is Deep Silver. REALLY wish Take 2 would have bought Volition, would have loved a Saints Row game with Rockstar Tech.

Yeah I thought it would have been natch for them to want to get their hands on Saints Row. Dunno how well it bodes with Koch getting it. I suppose only time will tell.

Take 2 would have killed SR if they bought it. Why buy your biggest competitor and keep producing it? But SR barely eats into GTAs sales, so why bother at all?

And, personally, I dislike the GTA tech. The graphics are great but the controls feel off to me. Running feels weird, driving feels terrible, and combat is crap relative to SR.

And even if they did make a SR game it'd be 27 hours of taking your homies out for pizza and bowling.

News Comments > SimCity EULA to be Fixed
23. Re: SimCity EULA to be Fixed Jan 23, 2013, 16:36 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 09:41:
No. People on this board get worked up incredibly over EULAs. Sometimes with reason. Sometimes not. When they mention restricting access usually not. Here is how EULAs usually go:
Attorney, probably outside counsel, writes it.
Attorney, inside counsel, stamps it.
Developer gets a copy, says "yeah, whatever," ignores it.
It goes out.

Outside counsel is trying to make sure it can't get sued for something that happens, so it includes everything. It wants to make sure that no one that gets banned for exploiting a bug (something that's valid to ban for in a competitive multiplayer game), so they write it in a way that makes it very difficult for someone to argue.

There's never any intent to abuse this, but it's someone covering their ass. And it's fine that people push back to make sure it can never be abused, but the odds of this being EA trying to be abusive is pretty much nil. It's just attorneys being attorneys, and the reason they act that way is to prevent from being sued themselves.

It's like the whole Instagram EULA thing. Again, Nilay Patel on The Verge, probably the only person I trust in analyzing EULAs, says that the one the internet set fire to Instagram for was actually a better EULA than the original. It had MORE rights for users and fewer for Instagram. It also spelled things out in plain English. But the original EULA was more obtuse, and it was there in the first place rather than a change that people looked to compare, so it wasn't something anyone complained about. People complained about the new, easier to read, more user friendly one, so Instagram went back to the old one. The one that gives them more control over your pictures and allows them to pass that extra control on to advertisers.

Again, it was probably just overzealous attorneys, not Instagram being evil. And again, it's ok to make people fight their attorneys rather than rubber stamp. I just want to point out it's probably no one being evil.

Yeah in legal they call it "boilerplate". You should see my release of liability contract when I show up and do work on a system. I could take a leak into a live server and then smash it with a hammer repeatedly and my release of liability says I can't be touched for it. The language is so draconian that I had trouble getting some customers to sign it. The argument went something like:

"WTF? You could intentionally destroy my equipment and not be liable?"

"No, I have no intention of destroying your equipment. But if something breaks while I'm attempting repairs in good faith, you could sue me, accusing me of malicious intent. This gives me legal protection from that argument."

"WTF You're going to piss into my server aren't you?"

"Sigh."

So I had a lawyer change the wording around and removed the "intentional damages" references and had the waiver changed to "the undersigned agrees that all work to be done is done in good faith" or something along those lines and they sign happily.

Still, that being said, whatever you click to agree with on the EULA can at least make a stand in court (if not actually hold up in court). I think the response was perfectly appropriate. It's a contract that hadn't been entered into yet, and we, the potential signors, saw what we felt was an inappropriate clause in the contract, and voiced our opinion. And since the industry *only* listens to wharrgarbl, that's the appropriate response.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Plans
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Plans Jan 23, 2013, 05:08 Flatline

LittleMe wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 02:56:
LaxerFL wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 00:26:
I try to like this game. Really to love it. But I just can't get into it like Dark Age of Camelot got me or even WoW really. When I finally got in a good guild and started raiding high level stuff WoW was an absolute blast. It got old like anything but GW2 doesn't get me even a little bit interested. I hate the how the skill (non)trees work. As much as I like their take on questing and whatnot I miss the standard quest lines and being able to run instances with a group.

Yeah they got so focused on MMO and lost focus on three more important letters, fun.

Yeah, those "kill creature X and bring me Y of their Z" quests and fedex quests were the bomb-diggity!

While I will admit that there isn't much of a skill/weapon skill tree, the only thing that's really a drag on my long term play is the lack of end-game content that engages me. Otherwise, I got a few hundred hours of entertainment out of it, and when I come back there will be new content (yay!) waiting for me for free.

Which is more than I can say for *any* other MMO I've ever played.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 DLC Details
2. Re: Max Payne 3 DLC Details Jan 22, 2013, 18:16 Flatline

Yeah I'd prefer more SP content considering the vapid wasteland of cheating that multiplayer is.

I beat the game, uninstalled it, and haven't really gone back. Nothing about the game was engaging enough for me to really want to play more than once.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 22, 2013, 18:05 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:45:
I agree with a few things Ralph says, but I'm not sure how much blame rests with Obama for doing things like not raising the minimum wage. That's Congress. But I agree he shouldn't be ramping up the drone war, and he should have gone after the banksters more aggressively.

On the other hand, I'll never forgive Nader for handing the presidency to W back in 2000.

Exactly. I remember, vividly, in the 2000 election he said "the only difference between the two candidates is the speed at which they fall to their knees for funding". Then when it looked like he wasn't going to get enough votes to secure federal funding for 2004, he fell to his knees so fast it broke the sound barrier. He still claims he didn't split the vote in Florida BTW.

And then, in 2004, he intentionally and knowingly took RNC money to run in tight states to split the vote. Why? Ego I guess.

Nader went from being an admirable kook to an egomaniac who seemingly would prefer to watch the country burn than be left on the sidelines. He can shove his balls up his ass and clench down until he's castrated. I will celebrate the day he dies for the damage he's helped contribute to in this country.

News Comments > EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs
45. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:41 Flatline

entr0py wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 18:37:
Seems like whoever wrote those terms was afraid of bad publicity caused by exploits before release. And they're right to be; one consequence of making the game online only is that customers will get irritated by cheats and hacks.

But actually following through with a universal ban for screwing around in a beta test would cause far more bad press then it prevents. I think it's an empty threat.

Well, if enough internet nerd rage is unleashed, it might never get to the point where it could be tested, but I totally can see EA doing this.

I'm sure their original intent was that you couldn't exploit a bug and destroy a built, or gain access to the server, or something stupid like that, and then claim "I was just beta testing!"

However, it's pretty vague. If the button alignment isn't lined up properly and I have to click 10 pixels to the left to hit that button, and it takes a couple weeks to roll out a patch/fix, then I'm technically at EA's whim to uni-ban me.

42. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:40:
Slick wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 17:29:
yeah, you're just trolling, i don't think anyone on here is taking you seriously. you have no valid points. you're just trying to cause shit. you are encouraging people to steal from artists who make the art that we all love. That's really low. On a forum for people who love videogames trying to subvert and sabotage the industry which makes the content we all love, instead of just you know NOT BUYING IT. trying to encourage others to steal and follow your ill-advised lead is criminal. you shouldn't be allowed the right to even post here. yes "YOUR KIND" i'm happy that "YOUR KIND" won't be anywhere near my game. and you can take that to the bank.

The only one having a freak out here is you. Perhaps you should lay off the kool aid and take a break?

I'm curious if he can tell us what it tastes like to lick EA's boots...

40. Re: EA: Possible All-Games Bans for Unreported SimCity Beta Bugs Jan 20, 2013, 18:24 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jan 20, 2013, 15:35:
You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.

if they had that same policy with Battlefield 3 then 99.9% of the players would be banned.

How are you supposed to beta test for bugs if you don't repeat/"exploit" bugs that you discover. I mean, reporting a bug is one thing, but is the bug reproducible? What is the procedure to make the bug happen? What is the frequency of the bug. Does the bug only happen under certain circumstances? These are basic, important questions, and is the ENTIRE purpose behind beta testing. Punishing for that... well.. if they run QA like they run this beta, no wonder their games are buggy messes.

News Comments > Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III
3. Re: Rob Pardo on Jay Wilson and Diablo III Jan 19, 2013, 17:33 Flatline

Of course the CEO of Blizzard loves Diablo 3. It's allowed him to buy his third gold plated ferrari.

News Comments > More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement
23. Re: More on CD Projekt RED's Upcoming Announcement Jan 18, 2013, 19:34 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 10:01:
I get what youre saying, but it just didnt work for me. You are the Witcher, which is kind of cool, but why cant I be a Paladin? Or a Mage? Or a Prostitute?

Err... because it'd be impossible to write a story that took all of those roles into account?

In a more specific sense, if you played anything other than a Witcher, the game would be incredibly boring and bland. It's a pretty generic fantasy setting with a few really cool twists (I've read the books). Without the Witcher's "unique" perspective and twist on legends, the setting is more or less literally "stereotypical fantasy setting".

Besides, most cRPGs don't even do what you're asking. Yeah sure you can play paladin or thief or epic cock gobbler, but in the end you're swapping one set of skills out for another. You're still The Hero, or The Chosen One, or The Badass. Picking courtesan doesn't alter the story into one of political intrigue, manipulation, and sex, it just means you have charm spells and maybe some special dialog that lets you act saucy and alluring.

Dragon Age actually came sort of close, but that was only the first hour or so of the origin story. After that, it dumped you into the main "Grey Warden" storyline and only occasionally had a reaction to your origin.

News Comments > New Evochron Mercenary
10. Re: New Evochron Mercenary Jan 18, 2013, 19:12 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 17:39:
It looks really bad graphically and there's an overall unpolished feel. There's no goal. You're in the middle of nowhere and there's no reason to do anything.

Yup. The game was made over the span of eons by one guy so it's no surprise.

If memory serves it uses a shit-ton of procedurally generated art assets. The previous incarnation was like a 30 meg installation file.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III
47. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 15:28 Flatline

descender wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 15:18:
I STILL don't understand the crying about the auction houses. You simply don't have to use them. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to "ruin your game". Heck, you shouldn't even be tempted to... since the only reason to play the game IN THE FIRST PLACE (or the entire genre basically) is to kill lots of things and randomly generate more loot.

Apparently Hell difficulty spikes so hard that you *have* to resort to the auction hall or get incredibly lucky.

I don't know. I played 20 minutes into nightmare difficulty and realized that the maps weren't randomly generated, and this was EXACTLY the same game I just finished playing, and I uninstalled it and never went back. With zero variety other than "tougher bad guys" I had no interest in the game.

News Comments > Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III
46. Re: Jay Wilson Leaving Diablo III Jan 18, 2013, 15:22 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:52:
Fuck that loser.

Done in one.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial
22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 16, 2013, 18:20 Flatline

@Wallshadows

I'm glad I'm not the only person who had the same issues. I'm normally not a stickler for plot continuity, but there seems to be a *lot* of holes in the concept.

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 18:27 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:47:
Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:31:
Anyway, yeah. Don't buy it, man. It will suck.

Like I said, I don't necessarily think otherwise. Gearbox made one of my top whatever of 2012 (Borderlands 2 really is fun), and the little bit I've watched of this has gotten me a bit excited (solely for seeing imagery I have fond memories of), but I don't know much about this game and don't really have high expectations.

I just think the TV reasoning was bad. Just about any other is fine. I get why people have a bad feeling about this. I'm ok with heavily scripted corridor shooters (what people now call "on rails," which I think is a pretty incorrect categorization), but aside from the license I don't see anything special about this one yet, and a corridor shooter with nothing special is bound to be dull.

Now if they had come out and said they were using the frostbite 2 engine and the alien blood would degrade terrain real-time, my interest might have been perked. A falling apart Hadley's Hope would seem to be perfect for real-time destruction.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:33 Flatline

I wanna know when Hicks had the opportunity to broadcast an SOS. Couldn't have been *on* the planet, the window between Hicks getting his acidic face bath and the end of the movie are fairly narrow. Once back aboard the Sulaco, he'd have filed a report, and they got into hypersleep figuring the Sulaco would be heading home, and the nest itself was vaporized and the queen blown out an airlock. Case closed. If they were waiting for a ride home from backup, why go to hypersleep for 17 days (as referenced in the script)?

Also, I thought that the atmo processor was supposed to vaporize a 30 kilometer area, which would have wiped out Hadley's Hope.

And why are there dead bodies on the Sulaco? Bishop, Ripley, Newt, and Hicks are *it* on the ship. Bishop gets ripped in 2, Ripley and Newt aren't in fatigues, and that leaves Hicks, who I thought was the host of the alien in Alien 3 (I always wanted to know how the f*ck an egg got onto the dropship when the queen left her egg-laying bits behind anyway and barely had any time to get on the dropship, but I digress, Alien 3 sucked for me).

Not to mention that the Sulaco was on it's way home at the end of Aliens...

Jesus christ I'm not one of those hyper-sticklers for plot accuracy, but it looks like they had to rewrite major parts of the second movie's plot to make way for this game.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 17:41.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 16:50 Flatline

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:00:
Game is worth the price for a playthrough, not replaying - just ask the emptiness in the game...

I still see consistent crowds regardless of where I go. It's sparse in the mid-teens zones, since so many people are at end-game now, but that's no different from WoW, where I went 23 levels once without seeing another PC outside of a town.

And as for "burnout", there's a finite amount of content. Once you play through it, unless you really dig PvP or WvWvW, you can get tired of it. But yeah, I've clocked around 300 hours into too and had a blast. Absolutely the best valued game I've played in 2012.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 16:43 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:06:
I don't get the love that Tina gets from fans. Some of her stuff is funny, but I have no idea why this child talks like she's straight from South Central.

Creston

She was raised by Brick and Roland. She watched her parents get electrocuted to death, screaming and begging for mercy while Jack laughed.

As I said, f*cked up back story to a goofy character.

1864 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo