Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1902 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO
1. Re: Ziff Davis Closing 1UP, GameSpy, and UGO Feb 21, 2013, 16:33 Flatline

How sad. That's more or less the end of an era...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TrackMania2 Stadium Info "Very Soon"
1. Re: TrackMania2 Stadium Info Feb 21, 2013, 16:33 Flatline

I loved TrackMania but for a game that thrived necessarily on the community, they didn't make it easy to download new tracks and play them.

Terrible, terrible social infrastructure design there.

News Comments > Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB
19. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 21:11 Flatline

This is just a wordy version of "Bungie made you their bitch, so get ready to suck it down."  

News Comments > Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB
15. Re: Bungie on PC Destiny Possibilities and How Nobody Wants to Play with Mouse/KB Feb 18, 2013, 20:55 Flatline

Dear Bungie:

Fuck you you arrogant twats. You just lost a customer.

News Comments > Cancelled Aliens RPG Animations
19. Re: Cancelled Aliens RPG Animations Feb 18, 2013, 12:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:17:
A proper Aliens RPG ala Mass Effect would be.. pretty damn epic. Sadly, with the idiots at Sega at the helm we can expect this franchise to be dead.

Yeah, an ME style action RPG set in the Aliens universe would be pretty badass.

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
29. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 22:55 Flatline

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:17:
Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:48:
Yawn. I'm going back to play more System Shock 2.

I'll celebrate that with some Witcher...

An entirely agreeable alternative!

News Comments > Open Source Natural Selection 2 Lua Toolkit Released
4. Re: Open Source Natural Selection 2 Lua Toolkit Released Feb 17, 2013, 22:16 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 14:49:
They have an update to the game in the works called "gorgeous", announcement is targeted as "soon" according to posts on the official forums.

To be fair though, NS2 was coming "soon" for nearly 10 years.

News Comments > Destiny Announced for Consoles
12. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:48 Flatline

Yawn. I'm going back to play more System Shock 2.  

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer
18. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 16:32 Flatline

saluk wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 16:08:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:10:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:40:
I think people nit pick too much. I'll leave it at that. I think this is just meant to market the license and have some fun. It definitely isn't aimed at diehard fans of the original series.

Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole? I found it to be atrocious, the recasting of most of the characters was decent enough but everything else felt so opposite of what Star Trek should be. Just look at that freeze frame from this video clip, pretty movie accurate. How did something that god awful ever get approved.

Some fans like it and some don't. I loved it. I don't get the whole "what star trek should be" thing when it's been so many things over the years. The whole alternate reality thing was a bit cheesy, but you can pick a handful of cheesier worse things in any series of the show. And if you don't like it, that conceit makes it pretty easy for you to just not accept it as canon - because it isn't really.

And the movie was on the whole a lot better than the last few next gen films. It's not even close to the worst of the Trek films.

This game on the other hand looks pretty bad. And the narrator sounds like someone watching the trailer for the first time and narrating it without having a clue about the game, the license, or any knowledge of game design whatsoever.

Time travel was so goddamn cliche in Star Trek that it was an uphill struggle to get me on board with the alternate reality thing. It's been done, very well, in a few instances (ST 4 and the DS9 episode where they went "behind the scenes" in the trouble with tribbles, that was EXCELLENT), but generally speaking I would have preferred a new reboot instead of an alternate reality.

As much as I like Simon Pegg, Scotty was there for comedy relief. In fact, it seems like a lot of characters were there for comedy relief. The reboot actually felt less like Star Trek and more like someone whose closest familiarity with Star Trek was Galaxy Quest. I don't understand why sci-fi has to have comedy relief in it these days anyway, but it seems to be the big thing. I'm fine with the occasional funny beat, but introducing goofy over the top characters for a laugh in an otherwise straight story is a hollywood cliche that needs to die.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 16, 2013, 01:10 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 22:50:
The funny thing is that an Audi A6 is terribly out-dated and in-efficient. Compare the Tesla to a Toyota Prius and things look very different...

Also your math is kinda flawed. a 85kw battery for the Tesla for example, needs to be charged with 102kw since about 20% is lost on charge.

Any way you look at it, a tesla is a terrible idea. Less range, higher cost. There is also the tiny problem that trying to find a recharge location is going to be very challenging in the rural areas....

It's still a maturing technology though. If you don't work at it, it'll never "get there". The supercharge stations are a big step forward, bringing your charge time down to reasonable levels.

The physics is there. Electric cars are insanely efficient from a physics standpoint. Last I heard something like 98% efficiency at the top end, and 90% or higher efficiency is totally achievable, vs the 20-30% efficiency of modern combustion engines. They're also a fraction of the size and weight of a modern internal combustion engine. What's *not* there is the battery technology, the chemists, but that's improving. Ten years ago batteries didn't perform like they do now, in another ten years the chemistry will probably be there to eliminate a lot of the issues with modern batteries, or we'll have moved onto something else.

Tesla is the first "practical" electrical car line that has hit the market. Is the technology mature? Not really, but that we've gotten to this point is a good thing. Personally, I think that the solution in the long term is probably to ditch most batteries and run induction cables through the road so that you're pulling power from a very smart grid instead of storing power in your car. If you need to travel off the grid, internal combustion or a small fuel cell would be adequate.

News Comments > StarCraft II Patch Plans
22. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 18:04 Flatline

Oh wait we're back to sucking Blizzard dick because they're the most awesome of awesome? I didn't get the memo.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Patch Plans
16. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 14:35 Flatline

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 10:07:
I mean in that it's their last title that will be treat like an old Blizzard game. Pay once to play everything.

Dude. Splitting the single player campaign into 3 separate entities separated by nearly 3 year delay and charging 40 bucks for it is hardly a "pay once to play everything" solution.

I'm cool if you find SC2 to be more awesome than tits, but be honest. SC2 was the turning point where you couldn't deny that Bliz was f*cking everything up.

News Comments > System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow
31. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 17:35 Flatline

panbient wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:02:
Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
I think best atmosphere ever made in a game, but I found the game itself to always be a bit clunky. It was in many ways a step back from the original System Shock,

This.

SS2 was super awesome until you left the ships and entered The Many at which point it felt like Half Life / Xen all over again. Although stepping -out- of The Many and into the SS2 endgame stands as one of the absolute greatest videogame moments I've ever experienced.

Now if only we could get a proper updated version of the original System Shock, then I'd honestly be satisfied.

And no enemy in SS2 creeped me out quite the same as the Cortex Reavers in the original.

They were rushing by the time they did The Many, which is why the final fight against SHODAN can be beaten in 10 seconds if you saved some ICE picks.

But I agree, one of the best games ever. SS1 was great, but the control scheme was painful because of how old it was.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Omerta - City of Gangsters Feb 12, 2013, 20:39 Flatline

Yeah and I'd probably give it about a 7.2 or so out of 10.

Solid, decent gameplay with nothing *wrong* per se (other than the enemy has inflated hit rates in the tactical game and cover does dick-all, but those are two normal "cheats" that they use in tactical games), just not deep enough to really make it a winner. A little bit more effort on the overworld map would have really made this game something special.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today
13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:22 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:11:
MattyC wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:51:
When did the walking get bad? I rarely found it much of an issue, but then I think I never got past level 10 or so (whatever the free 2 play cap was at the time).

It's not really the walking that's the problem, it's the way they handle some of the quests. Basically they keep giving you ones that require you to re-visit areas you'd already been to, most often having to go the farthest away from the planet entry point. They did have travel stations to help out, and personal vehicles, but it still was a lot of time wasted simply on traveling.

Oh jesus I remember that... Here in the northwestern corner of the map go pick this item up and bring it back... to the south-eastern corner of the map. Now do that seven more times.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:12 Flatline

MattyC wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:51:
Elessar wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 11:59:
Theo wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:29:
Ahhhh EA's cross country sci-fi running simulator. didnt realise it was still going.
While playing, I often referred to it as Star Wars Jogging Simulator, but I like this one too.

When did the walking get bad? I rarely found it much of an issue, but then I think I never got past level 10 or so (whatever the free 2 play cap was at the time).

Whatever world it is just before you qualify for your first speeder, so around level 25 or so. It takes jogging sim to a whole new level. And later levels, like Hoth, are simply white on pale blue skies, forever... And Tattooine, which is tan on blue skies forever... It may only be 300 yards you're jogging, but it feels like 30 parsecs.

News Comments > Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects
37. Re: Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas 2 Prospects Feb 12, 2013, 18:51 Flatline

descender wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:41:
At the beginning of the game, 90% of the map should be super dangerous and kill you, not 5%.

Thus creating an incredibly linear experience. Which I'd bet 20 bucks you'd bitch over.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2013, 01:15 Flatline

Tom wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:12:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:32:
Part of the reason for that is of course that there are no f2p games that offer any immersive fun gameplay experience.

Meanwhile, League of Legends has like zillions of players, then there's Tribes: Ascend, Airmech, Path of Exile, Mechwarrior Online, Planetfall 2, etc. F2P is not just crap like Farmville, browser games, and failed MMOs. It includes some hardcore games, some of which are actually pretty good.

It's a brave new world. Between F2P and KS, publishers are being kicked to the curb pretty good now. LOVIN IT!

And all those decent F2P games tend to not hold your sense of fun hostage, at most they allow you to quickly customize your play experience to what you want for some cash.

Which again is completely missed by Cliffski here.

And I agree with Eraser. For many games, if I haven't plunked money down on it, I have almost no attachment to the game. It has to rock my f*cking socks off for me to keep coming back to it. Whereas if I'm already invested, dammit, I'm going to get my money's worth of fun out of this thing if I have to wring it dry.

Let's make this a practical example. If Cliffski had made Gratuitous Space Battles F2p, and I started playing it strictly on it's merits, I probably would have lasted about 10 minutes... well before even the first hypothetical pay-threshold. As is, since I blew 20 bucks on that... thing... I stuck with it for a few hours before moving on.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Feb 11, 2013, 22:18 Flatline

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:45:
"Only a fool could try to rationalize NOT spending money on it [a game you paid nothing for] now…"

Very well Cliffski, now please make all of your Gratutious game titles a real gratuity and offer them for free.

Only a fool wouldn't give away his games for free, according to your 'logic'.

You're assuming Cliffski's games are actually fun investments of time. In my personal experience... they aren't.

Yeah, Cliffski is kind of a blowhard and is demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the Farmville F2P game model.

In reality, most players either peter out before that plateau, plunk down a buck or two and quickly hit the next plateau then get frustrated and quit playing, or play sporadically, and due to the lengthy wait induced by the plateau, and forget about the game and stop playing.

It was something like the .01% of users that are referred to as "whales", that will spend tens of thousands of dollars on your game that the game actually markets to. They spend so much that it makes the game overall lucrative.

And that is, exactly, the math and the rationale behind F2P.

The problem with Cliffski's approach here is that you're basically strong-arming gamers. "hey... that's a nice little game you've got there. Lots of fun right? Be a real shame if all that fun and investment suddenly went kaput right? 99 cents ought to clear that right up though for a day or two however..."

I can't remember the last post he's made where I haven't thought "f*cking asshat..."

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Trailer
31. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 03:00 Flatline

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 22:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 21:44:
Flatline wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:20:
You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.

It was an request of MANY backers in the Forums to get email updates, most of us can't be arsed to check dozens of sites every day to see what is new. I wish all Kickstarters would do it actually.. or at least give you an option. And the mails come only once every 7 days, hardly every 17 hours ;p
I agree, and I'd rather see too many updates than too few. With too many, one can just ignore or turn them off (in kickstarter settings). With too few, there's no way to get more information if that information isn't there in the first place.

Also, many email accounts/programs (such as gmail) should be able to do things like filter into other folders if its from a certain email address. It would be the work of probably less than 1 minute to setup a filter for such email that would send it to a kickstarter folder, or directly to trash if desired.

Since I really don't care an awful lot I didn't pay super-close attention to Star Citizen updates. I backed it, and the first thing that comes out after I sign up for the forum is an incredibly elaborate system of asking for more money, and the first several updates seemed geared towards getting me to sink more into the game. So I kind of tuned it out and only read subjects that are interesting to me. So I went back to gmail and looked, and what's happening is that I get every update at least twice: once from kickstarter and once from the forum. Usually about 4 or 5 hours apart. And totally different subjects of times. Which is where my impression that they update multiple times a day comes from.

Edit: Part of my problem is that these games are working on razor thin budgets, and each update does have an actual, monetary cost associated with it. We've seen 20+ post-kickstarter updates for Star Citizen, and if each took an hour to generate, that's a significant amount of work-hours spent on talking about the game instead of making the game.

If I have a choice, I'll take the devs giving us monthly updates as opposed to weekly ones. Concentrate on the work. Please.

1902 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo