Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2014 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 1, 2013, 14:17 Flatline

Fukkin AT&T. Yeah right they offer "at least 100 dollars" for a phone trade in. I put in my iphone 4's stats, and they offer gladly to "recycle" it for me.

Pricks. I can get 200 bucks for it on ebay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Preorders
3. Re: Shadowrun Returns Preorders Apr 30, 2013, 20:38 Flatline

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 20:04:
Dear Kickstarter and Shadowrun community;
Thank you for supporting this project and keeping Mitch Gietelman employed by the games industry.
Your Shadowrun now has hitpoints.
Thank you and goodnight.

BREAKING NEWS:

Shadowrun always had hitpoints.

It was a static hitpoint track, and they were called "boxes", but yeah... there's always been hitpoints.

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
38. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 29, 2013, 03:53 Flatline

This reboot had me worried when they didn't bring back Stephen Russell.

The excuse "the voice actor had to provide his own stunts, and putting Garrett's voice on this mocap would be 'unnatural'" reeks of absolute bullshit.

In fact, pretty much everything that I'm seeing from this game sucks. I'll pass, sadly.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
19. Re: E3 Apr 28, 2013, 03:01 Flatline

E3 is, at it's heart, a trade show. So in theory just about anything could show up, especially if you're looking to farm out your project for funding/publishers/etc.

The hype engine and bullshit surrounding the trade show doomed it. It already killed itself off once the year after the Wii/360/PS3 debut debacle.

If you don't remember, I was there, so I'll sum things up: The 360 made a big splash and got lots of coverage, the Wii literally had lines stretching around the convention hall (people would wait 8 hours to play the Wii for 5-10 minutes to evaluate it), and the PS3/Sony booth, which cost around 12 million dollars to set up according to rumor... was empty. Oh people were in there, but I remember sitting up in NovaLogic's little room overlooking the trade floor and seeing the line form and stretch past Sony for people waiting to get in to try the Wii. The next year, Sony said they were taking their ball and going home. Like a week later Microsoft said "hell if they aren't doing it neither am I" and pulled out of E3. Nintendo pulled out shortly thereafter, and E3 collapsed that year into a series of "quiet, low-key press conferences in hotel meeting rooms around the city. I think it stayed that way for another year or so and then tried to come back, and has been kind of a zombie ever since.

E3 was... how do I describe it? Imagine the entire strip of Las Vegas crammed into one building. It was THAT much sensory overload. I met every game designer I ever had a professional crush on in one day. I saw projects years away from completion (I spent an hour discussing Hellgate London with the devs before there was even any alpha work, just some concept art). LA strippers were everywhere in all kinds of cosplay. The japanese companies I think flew cosplayers out to flirt with people at E3. The swag bags were insane. The last year I went, there was a tattoo artist doing ink, with the caveat that they had to tattoo G4's logo somewhere in the art. Even with that caveat the time slots for getting inked would fill up in minutes.

One year in the basement they had a 30 year retrospective of video games, including the most bitchen arcade selection of old 80's games you could imagine. I held court on the Joust machine undefeated for about an hour and was God of the Universe.

I played an 8-player Steel Battalion tournament. Which if you remember Steel Battalion, was almost impossible to get *two* people to play in. But Microsoft set up an xbox live server locally so everyone could play. It was beautiful.

For America's Army the US Army suited you up in a bullet proof vest, a helmet, and gave you an M4 with working bolt action for recoil and had you storm a shoot house. I still have the Polaroid they took and gave to me.

I fucking played Starcraft: Ghost, and it was a nearly finished product at that point.

And I was part of the problem. I had hookups, and passed a *lot* of business cards out for IT infrastructure, but it really wasn't aimed at me. It was meant to be a trade show. But the outside hype grew and grew and it became a TV and media event and grew to absurd levels. It was trying to be a trade show and a spectacle to help break into mainstream at the same time, and the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on parties, booths, swag, booth babes, and everything else made it top heavy.

Is E3 as psychotically amazing as it was? No. But perhaps that's a good thing. I went 3 or 4 times through various hookups, and I'm glad I went, and got to go at the absurd height of the craze. I'd go today if I got the hookup, because it'll still be kind of delirious. All trade shows are. But it won't have the same surreal quality as back when passes *started* at 400 bucks a head.

News Comments > Thief Production Issues?
34. Re: Thief Production Issues? Apr 27, 2013, 18:53 Flatline

Jedi Master wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 14:21:
Yet LG collapsed. Why? Because they could program good games but didn't have a clue how to run a business. Many simmers remember Flight Unlimited with fondness, too.
There's more to running a developer than making great games. If you make a great game but need to see "100 million copies" to turn a profit, it's still a failure. So LG did.

LG collapsed at the end of the day because of a couple badly developed games on LG's part and Eidos had to decide if they were going to prop up Ion Storm and Daikatana at the cost of LG and other studios or if LG was going to get the benefit of the doubt.

John Romero still had a reputation back then, and we got Daikatana instead of any more LG games.

News Comments > XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August
27. Re: XCOM Now The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a TPS Due in August Apr 26, 2013, 16:27 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 16:12:
It's like they read all the complaints...agreed to take it back to the drawing board....

...and then completely ignored everything every X-COM fan said.

Rainbow Six: X-COM?

It might be good, but for the second time in a week I find myself asking the same question. "The fans wanted this?" Good luck to them, I am skeptical that this will appeal to shooter fans or X-Com fans. Particularly at a "AAA" price point.

If it actually *was* the original Rainbow Six only X-Com style it'd be rather badass.

Mission scenario would be fairly structured, but probably could go something like this:

Alien invasion report- Very few details, you have to pick from large equipment packages and among your men based on limited intel (which gets better as you research more.)

En Route for deployment- You get tactical schematics/photos/drawings on a napkin of the area, initial telemetry of enemy, identifying primary, secondary, and tertiary objectives (target types equal civilian protection, high value individual protection, gathering research items, alien capture/containment, bug hunt, assassination of a high value target, destruction of alien equipment, etc...) The idea being you can't do it all, and have to decide what is most important right now for both the organization and for the world long term.

On Site- Pre-Deployment- Surveillance has occurred for some time, establishing an idea of enemy count, patrol zones, hostages, trapped civilians, etc... Relevant data is reflective of what you decided your objectives are.

Execute- While the game would probably be one team due to console-itus, I'd dig mapping waypoints and breach missions for 2-3 teams simultaneously, as in the original Rainbow Six, especially as the game ramped up.

Post-mission you're rewarded based on which objectives you pursued, how well you achieved them, and what the current global situation is. Throw in some stress and perhaps some HP Lovecraftian sanity mechanics and you have to cycle your men in and out of combat and you have an intense, highly strategic and tactical 3rd person squad based shooter that I'd be *all* over.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 26, 2013, 16:15 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2013, 12:55:
A couple of good articles. Interesting to hear Julian's thoughts on XCom. Sounds like he had a lot of the same design issues we did. Funny he had trouble finishing it though.

Yeah, adding multiplayer to a story-driven single player game makes no sense. I can see multiplayer in a sandbox style game like Skyrim, maybe, but even there totally unnecessary.

Yeah good interview. I don't think the changes he was talking about would have degraded the game or made it less popular. Pseudo-random maps (bricks of pregenerated buildings put together, and set missions can be hand-designed). The Satellite system was weird. You could easily game it pretty hard, especially mid to late game, deploying satellites where needed only when terror levels hit certain heights. I miss selling stuff you manufacture. Badly. In the beginning you're so cash starved that selling off a few extra gizmos you make would be alluring, not to mention once you get a set of plasma weaponry there's no point in having lasers any more. My first game was a disaster because I built ten laser rifles, figuring to keep 5 and sell 5, and realized to my horror that I didn't have the ability to sell my weapons!!!

Multiple bases (or at least outposts with a main base- you farm out troops to the outposts) would have made losing your troops less painful, since you could train/transfer around troops.

Random, agenda-driven aliens would have been kickass.

And finally, I wanted to see other environments. Snow, desert, jungle, a terror mission in a favela, where your plasma weaponry was especially destructive, would have been awesome.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer?
7. Re: Batman: Arkham Origins Multiplayer? Apr 24, 2013, 14:34 Flatline

There isn't enough Bat-Shark Repellant in the world to help the ensuing jump from being anything but a disaster.  

News Comments > "Strong Possibility" Relic to Make Dawn of War 3
12. Re: Apr 23, 2013, 13:59 Flatline

Creston wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 10:56:
After Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, the Dawn of War franchise went deeply into the tank. If you want me to buy Dawn of War 3, make it like Dark Crusade.

Dawn of War 2 wasn't an RTS. It was Diablo with 4 characters.

Creston

I'll agree DOW2 wasn't an RTS. It was more of a Real Time Tactical game. They "fixed" this somewhat with the second expansion but I didn't particularly feel like it needed to be fixed. On it's own the game was fine. Tagging it Dawn of War 2 was the biggest mistake. I can clearly see the evolution though of DoW2 though, since Company of Heroes had almost no base building at all and focused on the units and combat, it was a natural extension to more or less ditch bases altogether.

It's funny, my memory of DOW1 was incredibly plain and unremarkable. I just didn't enjoy it much. Whereas DOW2 left a far stronger, more memorable experience. I played the shit out of it through Dark Crusade, but it always felt dry and bland. I played it because I didn't have a comparable RTS to play instead. And I love me some 40k.

News Comments > Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell
16. Re: Ubisoft: Complexity Holding Back Splinter Cell Apr 23, 2013, 13:50 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Apr 23, 2013, 12:31:
Mark & Execute is terrible and combat should never be a viable option in any stealth game but these days, I'll take what I can get. As long as they allow you to properly ghost your way through levels (no detections, no violence), I'll be happy. Based on what I've seen, it already looks better than Conviction in that regard, as Conviction was clearly designed with the assumption that you'd be killing everyone.

Also, publishers/developers, for the love of god, please stop misusing the term "ghost." It does not just mean "non-lethal." It means "non-violent." The difference between killing someone and knocking them out is pure semantics. The difference between neutralizing someone and avoiding them entirely is not.

I ghosted through most of Conviction as a matter of course.

I dug the increased mobility in Conviction over the old school splinter cell (I only played the first), and I don't see why a hardcore stealth game has to be a slow creeping game. That was Thief's bag more or less.

There's room for innovation in the stealth genre, but simplifying the game is *not* innovating. The very concept of a stealth game is to be cerebral and to think on your feet and outwit the AI instead of just shooting it.

That interview makes me want to cry. Why make Splinter Cell into an action game?

News Comments > More THQ IP Sold
16. Re: More THQ IP Sold Apr 22, 2013, 23:40 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 21:51:
RFG was lame. Just going to site after site and destroying the same shit. Would have been way better if it had remotely been anything close to as good as GTA.

And what was it those yoyos on KS thought they could get the IP for? 50k? Lulz!

Eh it needed about 25% more variety to be a solid game. Destroying shit in new and creative ways and watching the AI go apeshit over farting and then trying to get out of it was a lot of fun, but the game needed a little more. Plus, after the first area or two, it stopped feeling like Mars and got boring.

I'll still play it any day over the atrocity that was Red Faction Armageddon.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 15:55 Flatline

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 15:44:
The Zune software was the big victory, I was never that impressed with the hardware. It amazes me they killed off the Zune software and replaced it with the godawful Xbox Music shit.

Apple needs to keep innovating though, I agree. Keep hitting the market with new ideas, constantly doing small iterations is going to burn people out and eventually harm the brands. So far they've coasted on Job's legacy, Cook needs to introduce some new products.

If I could find a phone that had good email & text capability and not much else and was absurdly cheap, I'd ditch smartphones altogether because of the tablet.

How absurdly cheap? The Nexus 4 with the new 4.2 swipe typing is pretty much that except its still a smartphone. Took me a few weeks to get used to but now I'm way faster than I was on hardkey phones like blackberries. $350 no contract for a quad core phone with an acceptable camera and no bloatware. It has its issues but overall its a great damned phone and I don't think a better price/performance phone exists elsewhere.

Yeah I was kind of surprised they ditched the zune software too. It was pretty good. But yeah, I remember the launch Zune Fecal Brown edition. *shudder* Sometimes I don't get it.

And I agree entirely with Apple. The window is closing though steadily on Apple to retain it's legacy. Even if there's innovation years down the road, they only have so much time to stand on their own two feet before they forever live in the shadow of Jobs and the consensus becomes Apple is not as good as when Jobs was there.

And I'm actually looking at the Nexus 4 right now. It'll drop my payments by 40 bucks a month by going T-Mobile prepay, which is substantial (AT&T prepay is a terrible deal from what I've seen). I was looking at the HTC One and the Galaxy 3, but eh... I dig buying the phone and switching to prepay. Not to mention that it looks like I'd pay 10 bucks a month more to go with one of the other two phones on a contract.

Oh if you want a laugh, go look at ebay and the nexus 4 phones. They're all being sold unlocked for like 400 bucks for the 8 gig version. Which is hilarious, because for 50 bucks cheaper you can get the 16 gig version unlocked from Google. O.o

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 15:42 Flatline

Ratty wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 11:57:
Agreed, as much as the cultish nature of Apple turns me off they have made some spectacularly cool things. First the IPod, then the IPhone. Their walled garden approach to these is OK with me but I'd never get an IPad. That's too close to a computer that could do real work and I refuse to be limited to Apple-approved apps bought on ITunes for something like that.

Weirdly enough, I thought the iPad was absolutely useless when it launched, ended up getting one through work, and it's almost entirely replaced my smartphone. It hasn't replaced my laptop: typing still SUCKS on the ipad and there's some stuff it just can't do, but for general noodling on the internet, watching a video, whatever.... I use my laptop a lot less and use my smartphone almost never. If I could find a phone that had good email & text capability and not much else and was absurdly cheap, I'd ditch smartphones altogether because of the tablet.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 22, 2013, 15:39 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 13:42:
The Surface is the Zune all over again.

In order for Microsoft to become cool again they need to look very closely at what made them an overnight hit in the first place which was giving people complete freedom over their "personal" computers from the tyrannical oppression of mainframe computing.

They need to release an OS for tablets that is lightweight, inexpensive and open to running programs that can be purchased and installed from sources other than their paid-wall-garden. Android is all of these things and is why Microsoft is getting their ass kicked.

I picked up a refurb'd zune years and years ago from woot and it frankly blew the ipod out of the water. I used that thing until the battery died completely, replaced it, used it for a few more years, and finally when the charge port broke after like 8 years of constant use I retired it.

Now, with phones carrying more and more memory on them, there's little use for a dedicated mp3 player. Shit with Google Music my entire mp3 collection is on the cloud and I just stream it down when I want it.

I really found it to be a superior product to the normal ipod.

And some folks I know deep in the tech industry have played with the surface pro and said it very nearly is a must-have item. If Microsoft could pump out a revision in a year and fix the small issues they'd have a monster tablet/laptop crossover. Note everything I heard about the Surface RT or whatever it was was terrible.

MS may not be the most innovative, but they put out some good products that are stillborn because they have the Microsoft logo attached to them. They probably need to do what Miller Beer did and spin off a small "independent" company under a totally different name to push out product that would suffer from the MS tag, and I imagine products like the surface would sell much better.

Apple is in the spot I figured it would be. I saw the writing on the wall when the execs started paying out massive dividends to themselves. We haven't seen anything to suggest that the sociopathic highly driven spark that was Steve Jobs is anything near to being in existence in Apple today. The Iphone 4 was the last big iphone iteration (4s had Siri, which has already been eclipsed by Google's offerings, and the Iphone 5 came out with a resounding meh, and let's not forget the debacle of the Maps app), Apple fucked up with the Ipad 3 and Ipad-New coming out within 6 months of each other, and they're moving macbooks last I heard towards a paradigm similar to the ipad, with soldered memory and soldered batteries to enforce a more rigid upgrade cycle.

They may pull something innovative out of their ass, but I give it a year where it may happen. Then, without a *major* shakeup, it's probable that you'll see a slow, steady decline in Apple.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Monday
3. Re: SimCity Patch Monday Apr 20, 2013, 03:10 Flatline

deqer wrote on Apr 20, 2013, 02:49:
"they concluded this was the time that taking the servers offline would have least impact"

Really? 1pm on a weekday would have the least impact on the players?

Sounds like it would have the least impact on your employees, rather players.

You should be doing it at 1am in the morning, not 1pm.

But hey, we're just sheeple, right? No importance to you.

They used their agent city model program to determine the best time to upgrade. They determined that 1pm in the afternoon on Monday most agents are wandering around in a circle endlessly looking for work.

News Comments > March NPD Results
7. Re: March NPD Results Apr 19, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

In other news, SquareEnix has announced that Tomb Raider is an extra special failtacular failure of a game for not selling a projected eleventy million units in the first hour after being released.

An anonymous SE exec was quoted as saying "well yes, it's still the #2 game out there, but really, even if it was the #1 game it'd still be a dismal failure worthy of disembowelment over. To meet our modest projections, it merely needed to break every sales record in the entertainment industry by an order of magnitude."

The anonymous SE exec further went on to say he can't understand why people keep playing the worthless failure of a game, and that it's so far behind it's sales schedule it's not even worth trying to push copies of the game beyond a contractual obligation.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
116. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 16, 2013, 19:53 Flatline

Sho wrote on Apr 16, 2013, 15:00:
It's frustrating how few people here understand that Kickstarter isn't a shop, it's projects pitching to investors. The reason you can be legitimately pissed off at this, as a backer, is that you might have backed this because you wanted to support a DRM-free trend in the industry - and now it turns out you didn't get all the info up-front and this game, as a product and how it's going to be marketed, won't deliver on that front. That backers still get the game DRM-free is entirely beside that point.

They should have included a big fat warning in their pitch that they didn't know yet what sort of constraints MS might put on them.

You mean like the FAQ where they state that DRM hasn't been worked out yet at the time of the kickstarter??

While the details are still being worked out, we hate draconian DRM as much as the next guy. We expect there will be an account system but it would be primarily used to enable the social elements of the game like mission and character sharing--not to restrict access to the game itself.

Or are you suggesting that Hairbrained put a giant skull and crossbones at the top of their page and say "MAY CONTAIN DRM!" in 90 point font?

111. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 16, 2013, 01:36 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 09:28:
To my knowledge there's been one lawsuit based on Kickstarter, and it was in a Justice Court which leaves no precedent. A guy sued for his $70 back. And he didn't get it, because the guy he sued went bankrupt.

Kickstarter is not a promise of goods. It is not a store. It's not an investment, either. It's a donation, typically in exchange for a promise to get something if the project succeeds.

The project does not always succeed.

For the aforementioned lawsuit, the guy doing it had no clue how to run a company. He didn't negotiate his vendor contracts until after the Kickstarter ended. This is common, but the result was all his vendors knowing how much money he had available and being ruthless in negotiations. He did not lock his team in until afterwards, and several of his teammates made unreasonable demands after the Kickstarter ending, with one refusing to give up some crucial design documents until he got 50% of the company (ultimately helping lead to the company folding.)

But, per Kickstarter, nothing wrong was done. Kickstarter is not an investment, nor is it a store, nor is it a promise. Projects fail before coming to market all the time. Or change drastically.

Really, the best you can do is demand your money back.

And, in this case, you can't do that. They promised something without DRM. They will likely deliver something with DRM. Do you know what any court would say? You were promised a game and you got a game. That's it. Guess what: courts do not enforce every single part of a contract, assuming they'd even call this a contract. They determine if something is a condition or a promise (with Kickstarter, almost always definitely a promise), then if it's material or immaterial:
In determining whether a failure to render or to offer performance is material, the following circumstances are significant: (a) the extent to which the injured party will be deprived of the benefit which he reasonably expected; (b) the extent to which the injured party can be adequately compensated for the part of that benefit of which he will be deprived; (c) the extent to which the party failing to perform or to offer to perform will suffer forfeiture; (d) the likelihood that the party failing to perform or to offer to perform will cure his failure, taking account of all the circumstances including any reasonable assurances; (e) the extent to which the behavior of the party failing to perform or to offer to perform comports with standards of good faith and fair dealing.

In the case of not being DRM-free enough, I doubt it would pass as being found material by most courts. It comes back down to whether the software is in any way less usable. I do not think a court would find there was any kind of damages here. You have your game, you can play your game, and financially you have lost no money. Sure, you paid for a DRM-free game, but what you really paid for was the game. You wanted the game. It being DRM-free just made it better to you. But it isn't as if the game is objectively worth less because it has DRM.

I generally agree here, but you're missing one large portion of your argument:

You're getting a second copy of the game, DRM free (in some cases 3 copies of the game), if you backed the kickstarter. The DRM free portion of the KS is mentioned, repeatedly, explicitly, in the rewards, and an argument could be made that in doing so, the DRM free part is a kickstarter reward.

Which would make a court case even more ridiculous, which is my point.

When you're throwing the accusation of fraud around, that's an actionable offense. But in reality, this isn't fraud, it's not even *close* to fraud, and it's hyperbolic whining and teeth gnashing to pretend otherwise.

104. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 15, 2013, 02:32 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 00:04:
So, whoever thinks that a game should not have save points (consolitis) and likes evolving characters and loot (all of that was in classic crpgs!), is now a "Joe Bro" and games that give you that are "WoW with guns". I.e., whoever criticizes "SR" touches a nerve here that makes the counter a kind of hilarious overreaction.

But in the end, it's you, the backers, that need to be happy with the game. If you are, good for you. But not everybody else is a Joe Bro who wants every game to be WoW with guns. That's all I'm saying. Good night.

Little bit of hyperbole, but character progression is not solely defined by loot alone. In fact, the very worst RPGs reduce your character down to a christmas tree to hang loot off of. It's the most basic issue that they can't seem to solve in D&D with fighters- to keep up with the casters they have to become Christmas Trees.

If you want that, you have a LOT of loot-driven game alternatives. Torchlight 2, Boarderlands 2, Path of Exile, and Diablo 3 all immediately spring to mind.

103. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 15, 2013, 02:29 Flatline

Creston wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 18:47:
Harlequin wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 18:43:
SR, reward wise, was just about the payday & karma. That's it. Using that payday from Mr. Johnson for better equipment, cyberware & karma for skills. Loot on people you killed really wasn't much of a thought the vast majority of the time.

The very first time we played Shadowrun (After being a heavy D&D group for years), we "looted" a few mercs we had taken down. So our GM goes "Okay, each of you now has an assault rifle, a gun, a knife, a grenade and a flak jacket, bundled up loosely in your hands. You're starting to draw attention."

Agree completely it's about the karma and the payday. You may loot some nuyen off your foes, or perhaps some spare ammo, but that's really about it. And since you're often on a tight time-schedule (your hacker can't keep the corporate security guys fooled forever), you really don't take the time to rifle through some rent-a-cop's clothes to see if he has a 10 nuyen credstick on him.

Creston

And as I said before, I can easily envision a not-very-hard to implement abstract loot system inside a basic scripting program. When you loot, you pick up a "bunch of loot", you make a note in the mission, and at the end of the mission when you're not getting shot at you look at what loot you grabbed. Kind of like how you don't stop in the middle of trick-or-treating to check out what candy you got. You run to the next house and at the end of the night explore your haul.

I mean hell, people have fucking programmed FUNCTIONAL computers into minecraft of all things. As long as the scripting language is powerful enough, creative minds can come up with all kinds of end-runs around engine limitations.

2014 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo