Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2257 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Nominees
11. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Nominees Jan 14, 2015, 16:34 Flatline

Talion is an outstanding character?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH... that's a good one. Dude is more generic than BEER branded beer.

http://platinumhomestaging.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/generic.jpg

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Live
12. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Live Jan 13, 2015, 15:25 Flatline

Seventyfive wrote on Jan 13, 2015, 14:58:
Just finished SR: Returns, liked the game but was a little disappointed that the dialogue choices pretty much don't change anything. I did like it enough to buy Dragonfall so maybe after HK comes out I'll get that too.

Deadman's switch is okay but I'd give it maybe a 5 or 6 of 10. Dragonfall is probably closer to an 8 or 9.

Dialog doesn't change much still but DF is a *much* better experience.

Also funded. And while I'm nominally game for a few things like the messenger bag, I ultimately didn't like any of the lower tiers and just pledged the 15 bucks. Kind of underwhelmed by the tier goodies since most of them are linked to TTRPG Shadowrun and I"m lukewarm at best on 5th ed and have all the splats I need/want otherwise.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
30. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 23:33 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 22:39:
To solve the last problem you could make the fleet commander command the flag-ship for added pressure/excitement and I mean hands-on control, with avatar on bridge and all Meaning a losing battle would mean the commander is under direct attack and so there is some investment and deciding factors involved in where to move the flagship and how to protect it via orders.

Overall, that game mode would never work on pubs though...

One version of my dev doc way, way back in the day actually had that. Guilds/fleets were based off of cap ships that had to be moved around the galaxy to project force and if you weren't careful your star destroyer (I originally wrote the idea for an X-Wing remake) would get nuked back to a class B frigate and you wouldn't have access to as many toys. You also couldn't get as far away from your supply lines. Larger cap ships could extend supply lines, so the idea is that when a high ranking guild shows up on the scene you have lower guilds trying to provide a buffer, as losing one of the high-end cap ships is a significant blow against your side. It was an idea to encourage concentration of forces. Once two big fleets show up more and more and more show up to defend the big guys and before you know it gargantuan fights are slugging it out in the system.

You're right though, it'd never work on pubs. The closest I could think is that you could recruit pub pilots as reinforcements pretty cheaply.

Still, in a game like SC, where you have everything including the burrito shack, having a really high end hardcore fleet commander role wouldn't be out of the picture.

I even played with some PvE ideas to help you contribute overall. Running patrol missions and intercept missions and scouting missions and some of the other classic single player missions would help build requisition points for the fleet you were serving in while in that system. You were improving the position of your forces without acting decisively.

25. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 19:43 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 18:29:
El Pit wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 13:17:
Flatline wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 12:37:
Because aside from Chris Taylor's experience 20 years ago making space sims...

See, it is coming. Chris Taylor is on board for the RTS module of Star Citizen. I KNEW IT!!!

Not sure I see a problem with that. IT WOULD BE AWESOME.

Justly deserved mocking for posting before coffee.

But actually I always thought that a modern day space sim could seriously use a fleet commander seat like Homeworld or Ender's Game.

Fleet commander would be in charge of assigning waypoints and target priority, backup, etc... As a pilot, you have a "score" split between pilot ability and how readily you follow orders. If we're doing open matchups commanders can decide if they want hotshots or team players. At the end of every engagement, wingmen get to thumbs up or thumbs down their commander. If more than one commander wants to command a battle (and it's not big enough for multiple commanders), then whoever has the highest community rating wins the commander's seat.

In something like a guild this would be far more structured. Voice comms would let you talk to your wing and to your wing commander. Wing commanders talk to each other and command. Command talks to wing commanders.

In a basically MMO scenario like this you could probably request escalation/support at the command level, bringing in more commanders at risk of more resources gambled on the fight. Sort of like a doubling cube in backgammon.

I'd also break down guilds into smaller options. Fleets of course for the big guilds, but for the smaller guilds let them fly as merc wings that can be drafted into the fight. Potentially neutral mercs that can be drafted by either side.

The problem is that fleet commanders would end up being very hands off, and that's something I'm not sure if people would be ready for. I guess you could give them limited control over cap ships and defenses and whatnot to keep things a little more interesting, but generally speaking you have to do a whole lotta back-seat driving.

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday
15. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 19:35 Flatline

FU wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 17:02:
Talk about using leverage.

Fuck reinvesting too much from the last games.

"Here's the deal.................."

Bitch bitch bitch. So don't back it.

8. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 16:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 16:43:
Dragonfall (+Directors Cut) is NOT free. Costs 15 just like the base-game (also 15) on Steam

So uh, why do they need a KS?

It was free if you kickstarted. Which, a *lot* of people did.

Edit: Why do they need a KS? They're a tiny company working on two or three different projects. They don't probably have the money to fund everything they want to do at once.

I'd say they still qualify for "small indie dev" that KS was originally meant to support.

4. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 13:00 Flatline

nin wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 12:47:
Flatline wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 12:39:
Dragonfall was a pretty tasty module, especially for a free module.

SR:HK hopefully will be the same quality or better, considering that they'll be getting kickstarted for basically a straight up campaign.

Yeah, I'm hoping they keep the same engine, and the money goes towards new assets/increasing gameplay. I'm also a little worried turnout might not be as heavy this time, with diminishing returns and the "fad" of KS calmed down a but...but maybe their success on steam will counter that, with more new people who missed the first KS.

Either way, they've got my money.

I think they'll do fine. It'll be a chance probably to pick up your DocWagon card or SR shirt from the first time around and most people have been really positive about the game. I doubt they'll pull in a couple million like they did the first time but then again I doubt their goals are that high. If they aim for say 500 grand that's probably a good aiming point for art assets and a campaign.

2. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter Tuesday Jan 11, 2015, 12:39 Flatline

Dragonfall was a pretty tasty module, especially for a free module.

SR:HK hopefully will be the same quality or better, considering that they'll be getting kickstarted for basically a straight up campaign.

7. Re: Star Citizen Status Report Jan 11, 2015, 12:37 Flatline

Comet wrote on Jan 11, 2015, 10:27:
How long did it take to develop:
GTA V, World Of Warcraft, Destiny, The Witcher 3, Guild Wars 2, Call of Duty games and so on?
Most AAA games take 4-5 years to make. Most games suffer release delays. Many crowdfunded projects and games have suffered delays and still did well when released. Divinity Original Sin. Wasteland 2 and so on.
In fact the kickstarter projects with a higher chance of success usually come from veteran developers. In fact most projects fail.

As you point out. SC has the funds. Has the talent. It continues to show progress on the project. The fact that they are financially stable is precisely why they have a better chance of success than many other projects.

Problem is, those games took 4+ years to make by developers who were unparalleled in their field. Rockstar basically owns the sandbox genre, Blizzard is infamous for taking 10 years to wipe it's ass, Bungie is famous for Halo, Witcher 3 is actually not taking 4+ years but it's the 3rd iteration of RPG that they're really comfortable with now, Call of Duty comes out every year between two devs (so 2 years, not 4-5), and Guild Wars 2 is probably best seen as an anomaly but the only even slightly relevant point in your list.

Because aside from Chris Taylor's experience 20 years ago making space sims, none of his departments are exactly paragons of their respective genres. That doesn't mean they *can't* make a great game, but if it takes experts 4-5 years, how long is it going to take journeymen?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories Jan 9, 2015, 19:36 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 19:18:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 18:38:
Some boneheaded suits with visions of sugarplums - and WoW like numbers of monthly subscribers - in their heads no doubt, because no one else was clamoring for one. Mebbe some kind of co-op/MP function, but not an MMO.
Exactly, all the fans asked for was Coop.

Does anyone know why, mmog publishers are obsessed with $15 US a month? Publishers are willing to let mmogs fail, rather than for instance charge $10 US a month.

It's a psychological thing I'm sure. Evercrack I believe was the first to hit 15 a month (maybe? I can't remember) but WoW settled on that price point.

Charging less per month probably sends a psychological message to gamers that the product is inferior if it's monthly subscription cost is less than the industry average now.

Same idea behind stuff like appliance pricing. The cheapest option gets passed over for the second cheapest option. So you price your cheapest cost appliance as the 2nd cheapest option and make more money that way.

News Comments > GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS
11. Re: GDC Award Nominees; Baer Honored by AIAS Jan 9, 2015, 17:14 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 13:43:
Just finished Valiant Hearts the other night. It was an excellent tale, but damn, was it depressing! We forget what an insane clusterfuck WWI was.

I picked that up on steam sale. Looking forward to it.

I stopped playing This War of Mine. It ended up depressing me.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $69M
32. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 15:52 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:46:
Flatline wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 15:44:
Wildone wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:25:
They gotta fix their flight model, it fucking sucks. I dont care what technology is in the future if you bank left you expect the vehicle to bank left, not do some weird strafe/arc/roll maneuver. Horrible.

If you're referring to Elite, that's an actual checkbox in the settings. It's called like bank into roll or something like that. By default it should be off.
He was referring to SC

I kind of figured that but I stumbled across that option a while back when I was fine-tuning my controls. Figured it was worth a mention.

I might actually switch to it as an experiment when dogfighting in Elite though because I make a lot of small lateral movements during a dogfight to keep my weapons on target but I don't exactly roll nearly as much. Ditching assigning the lateral movement to my left hand might be nice. I'm pretty good at the coordination though at this point so it might not improve my performance enough to be worth while.

31. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 15:50 Flatline

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:39:
zombiefan wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:32:
Congratulations to Chris Roberts for figuring out how to turn Kickstarter into a subscription service. Next stretch goal: automatic debit payments!

The scary thing is that they're up to 180 employees, 4 worldwide offices, licensing, etc. That's gotta have an insane burn rate on that bling. So if the funding levels drop off I'm starting to wonder how they would ever finish this. They say they can scale development up but I'm not sure you can do the same thing in reverse once scope and features are set. I just hope Roberts knows what hes doing.

He does. But where SC is going and where he says it's going is two different endpoints I"m sure.

Look at it this way. GTA5 cost 140 million to make according to a quick google. And that's like the 8th GTA game Rockstar has made, so they pretty much have that shit down to a formula now.

SC is running on half the budget and promising literally 10 times the content. And 10 times the detail of GTA5.

As weird as it sounds, if they hit 150 million I can see the opportunity to reach a version of what they're claiming they're going to offer. But even then at that 150 million mark it's going to be a lot of clockwork oranges whirring around and not a lot of soul.

29. Re: Star Citizen at $69M Jan 8, 2015, 15:44 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:25:
They gotta fix their flight model, it fucking sucks. I dont care what technology is in the future if you bank left you expect the vehicle to bank left, not do some weird strafe/arc/roll maneuver. Horrible.

If you're referring to Elite, that's an actual checkbox in the settings. It's called like bank into roll or something like that. By default it should be off.

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
58. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 19:01 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 16:38:
They have also recently hit a major roadblock when they figured out that the CryEngine must be rewritten to support 64-bit double precision in order to support the large space levels. Now, why no one had figured that one out at the beginning of development or at least within the first year or so, even though they have always had actual Crytek people on board full time, is probably a case for Sculder & Mully. Seriously. What a bunch of incompetent dumbshits.
This engine rewrite is currently still ongoing and should be finished by about March IIRC. Should be interesting to see how that will affect Squadron 42 or the first PU release.

People have been wary of the Crytek engine since day 1 and the fanbois have been all "no no it's AWESOME! even though it's not designed for this shit!"

Why am I not surprised that the engine needs significant overhauling?

50. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 13:52 Flatline

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:33:
Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:33:
Do you expect whatever modules that they are working on at that time to get finished, and for most of the promised (supposedly funded but at that time undelivered) content to eventually see the light of day?
The modules they work on will see a release. Because the developement of these modules with a certain feature set is already funded.

Except that as far as I can see the modules don't really have a baked in feature set yet. That's all "fluid".

49. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 13:47 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 00:32:
The fact that he apparently flies up and down to all his different dev studios (who are scattered all over) to "meet face to face" with his studio heads every month, presumably paid for from all the money donated that's supposed to go into the game, would piss me off to no end had I donated any substantial amount of money.

Not to mention his Dr Evil Space Suit uniform that he had made for him (It was based on a 19th century frock coat's lines, which is a style you basically have to have made for you now, nobody sews that shit any more, so it was almost certainly custom tailored.).

Yes, I really am nitpicking here.

48. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 13:43 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 23:59:
I agree this game is over hyped and over promised but, man -- the hate it generates.

We gotta have something to do while we wait for the game.

Or in my case, while I wait for the fucking game to download. Again. For some reason even minor patches corrupt my installation and require me to download 40 gigs all over again. It's happened like 3 times now. I'm on a fast connection without caps thank god, but really, the patcher is a fucking disgrace. I *can't* play the game to get a better opinion because every time I'm like "Hey, let's see if SC is getting better" the patcher downloads a patch, chokes, and then downloads the full game over again. In 5 hours I can play it, but by then I'm either playing something else or have moved on with life.

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
392. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Jan 2, 2015, 19:58 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 13:30:
So, am I missing something or am I stuck to 20 or so systems around Eravate until I get afford a ship upgrade with a long range?

Are you in a sidewinder still? They have a pretty crappy inital jump range.

I want to say that a D2 (I think the sidewinder uses a class 2 FSD) should cost around 30-40k and push you up to about 12 light years per jump if you haven't loaded down your ship with lots of upgrades. If you have, well, you should be able to grind out a better FSD pretty quick.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Issues
5. Re: Elite Dangerous Issues Jan 2, 2015, 19:53 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:23:
Because ODRM. That aside, there was actually an really good review of this on PC World the other day. And it really nailed why I won't be jumping into this anytime soon - or ever if Braben doesn't smarten up and drop this ODRM shit. The gist was the fundamentals are all there and fantastic but all the bells and whistles you really want and need aren't and won't be for a long time yet - social functions, trading, etc. It's definitely worth a read.

PC World ED Review

We'll see. The game may be nearly unrecognizable in 6 months. They're good at pushing major content patches out pretty fast.

Elite is a game that, to me, isn't something I play consistently. I play it for a weekend here, a few hours there, whenever I get the urge to really open sandbox it. There isn't enough coherence right now to keep me engaged in marathon play streaks, but when I do play I enjoy the hell out of myself.

Strangely enough, it completely killed any itch to play Minecraft of all games. I seriously wasn't expecting that.

2257 Comments. 113 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo