Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2504 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 15, 2015, 17:51 Flatline

Blizzcon's having a talent show?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial
16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Free Trial Jul 15, 2015, 12:44 Flatline

peteham wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 10:38:
Six hours of SP may be just short of getting players over the initial hump of infinite boredom, if people are anything like me... I ended up really enjoying the game in the end, once the world, story and characters finally kicked in. But Lawd Allmighty, how I struggled for the first 6-8 hours. The combat system is just awful. I tried bumping the difficulty but it went from being dull to infuriating thanks to the party AI and the game not being built for actually using the tactical view. It's just a presentational bullet point.

And there's far too much busywork in the game. And I hated the crafting too. Awful, awful interface. And.. And.. And..

The "world" was amazing though. I'm a huge fan "zone" layouts over just huge contiguous open world. Each area looked amazing and felt really distinct. Exploring was a joy. All in all, I really want to play it again at some point.

But I'll be using a savegame hack that gives me unlimited herbs & minerals so I don't have to harvest another goddamn plant ever again. Stab

Yeah 6 hours will get you to roughly the end of that first zone if you take your time at all. And that first zone did not really grab my attention at all. It's not until really the Inquisition gets rolling that the story got interesting.

Some of the companion side quests were fun though. I really didn't care much for Varric I think his name was since I already was an archer and he just didn't seem interesting... right up until he organized the card game. Which was a really classy moment of storytelling and made me enjoy the character a lot more.

News Comments > Op Ed
82. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 19:50 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 19:21:
Flatline wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 18:39:
And every. Single. Ship. Has to have that level of fidelity passing back and forth between the FPS and space sim.

Keeping them separate "modules" that pass relevant data back and forth seems like the most approachable way to do that but JFC that's a gargantuan amount of communications because it has to be done, on demand, for every ship in the game.

honestly i wasnt even considering boarded ships being shot, exploded, etc as a possibility but of course it would be required and again im just facepalming hard at the idea that the entire scope of this game would even be possible in the first place ... without getting the entire staff of MIT working on it or having some kind of CIA tech from recovered UFO crashes

but im starting to get the feeling they are gonna scale WAY WAY WAY back pretty soon, and all the people crying about just wanting another wing commander will most likely get it... whether or not it will be worth all this shit (or even good at all) is another story

I wouldn't bother with boarding mechanics if I didn't have the option to sabotage sub-systems and knock out gun batteries and shit.

And if they introduce explosive decompression into the damage model, that means you need to have deformable levels as part of the boarding parties. But not... like... pre-determined because who knows where someone's bomb is going to go off right? We need to mod that level on the fly. Does crytech even *do* geo-modding on the fly?

They would have been better off doing the game in the Bad Company engine

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
6. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 19:42 Flatline

Yeah I finally hit the point where I"m looking to sell my account.

Anyone want to buy a Bounty Hunter package without the upgrade?

News Comments > Op Ed
72. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 18:39 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:16:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:01:
I think it's more likely they'll have a FPS game and a space game and the two shall never meet. (They've said they're going to allow boarding of other ships in space combat and what not but I think we'll probably see a lower level of fidelity there as you're still in the space side,

no, no - it would need to be a creative use of instancing.. to give a rough idea its the same way 3d engines are optimized not to draw the faces of polygons which are not visible

so, you would be able to have all kinds of simultaneous things happening, but it would be instanced so that you are only streamed into the portion of the engine according to what you are doing, and the rest of the global events would be abstracted to a spreadsheet kind of thing which tracks values but doesnt need to compute much beyond that

this is all theoretical.. for example i have no idea how to do instancing without a hard loading screen that separates one world from another, but it would have to be streamed or loaded on the fly in such a way that is not noticeable

i mean, the whole idea of this game from the outset is fucking ludicrous, even if you had a monster AAA studio with 5 years of EA publisher money to back it up ... thats why this indie approach is beyond insane - and again, anyone with half a brain already figured this out

The problem with that is that if I shoot the enemy ship hull right where you're at, the FPS has to model what just happened, in a reasonable time frame (less than 1 second) in your boarding action FPS.

And every. Single. Ship. Has to have that level of fidelity passing back and forth between the FPS and space sim.

Keeping them separate "modules" that pass relevant data back and forth seems like the most approachable way to do that but JFC that's a gargantuan amount of communications because it has to be done, on demand, for every ship in the game.

I can't imagine the processing power alone needed to do that kind of fidelity without some serious partitioning of the universe. And even as cheap as cloud computing can be, I don't see how SC can remain free post-launch. You have to assume that most people who want to play the game have purchased it, you in theory won't be able to buy ships for 500 bucks any more, so you're back to doing 60 dollar transactions.

Then again, I don't see how Elite: Dangerous can sustain it's operating model indefinitely either. But I guess they figured out some way to remain solvent and operational.

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 18:31 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 16:01:

I've been giving some of the technical side of things some thought lately and the main issue I keep coming to is how big of a memory foot print can a game realistically use and be stable? Does any game currently run at higher than 4gb? Even if you require a computer with 4gb you need to leave some alone to run the os and what not so games on pc might typically use at most 3gb. If a game requires 8gb to play then maybe it's up to 4gb+ of stuff loaded into memory.

64-bit architecture, which SC is porting to supposedly right now, can support 16.8 million terabytes of addressable memory.

So... Assuming that your PC needs 3 or 4 gigs to gurgle quietly to itself... about 16.8 million terabytes of memory.

In reality, most processors don't have the adddressing space for that and max out at around 8TB of memory supposedly.

So 7.998TB of memory should theoretically be usable by processors to fuck with a game.

Right now most 64 bit systems seem to be shipping with 8 gigs of memory. 16 is not unreasonable for an enthusiast PC, and the computer I converted over to daily use from my old VMWare lab was running 32 gigs of memory.

That's quite a bit of memory. And really, you're going to hit practical overhead with bandwidth limitations way before the amount of entities a client has to keep track of starts seriously stressing client memory.

Now the servers on the other hand...

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 15:02 Flatline

Task wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 14:04:
Believe me I know what its like to be actually scammed or bait switched. AMA about Mech Warrior Online and I'll let anyone here from Blues know. Now that's a terrible game.

As far as I can see here with this fella is that nobody can make a grand space game, because if he couldn't then no one can.

I have no investment in this, but I still find it all of this hub-bub sad and funny. I've dreamed of a game like SC since the 90s though and await a release.

Well... sort of. He's definitely saying that the crytek engine is totally unsuited to a gargantuan MMO of this scale. He also doesn't believe 80 million will cut it and that you'd probably need to realistically double the budget to stand a chance of creating something with as much fidelity as SC is promising. I tend to agree with that assessment at this point.

You're also looking at the background sim keeping track of an insane amount of data. Probably an order of magnitude or two more than Elite Dangerous is pulling right now, and ED were forced to make some pretty significant compromises in their netcode and simulation to keep all those balls up in the air at once.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns
157. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 14, 2015, 13:53 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 13:09:
Some of that is because the scope of the game changed based on the funding - they couldn't keep developing the game they had planned at $2m now that the funding has hit $85m. If they simply pocketed the money and released the game exactly as was planned it would have a) not received the same level of funding, and b) been labelled a scam.

There's an implication here that if the game crashes and burns and fails on all levels to connect that it's basically the backers' fault for giving them so much money and creating such an unreachable obligation.

And that's shit.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 13, 2015, 14:42 Flatline

Yeah I was looking at F1 but the steam reviews are suggesting to hold off due to the bugs.

Did F1 get an early release? Rally is in the middle of one and it's kind of cool and frustrating at the same time.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 13, 2015, 11:37 Flatline

Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 11:29:
It just seems like a solution in search of a problem.

I always felt like it was apple wanting to capitalize on the buzz of smartwatches. But that was like.. years ago.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 13, 2015, 11:36 Flatline

Well, the watch being tied to the apple ecosystem makes it a non-starter. I can have an iPad and an Android phone and be okay. But is the watch a stand-alone platform or does it basically require an iphone to achieve full functionality?

Plus, I have to say the battery life *sucks*. My fitbit charges once a week and takes like... 70 minutes to charge fully.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Jul 13, 2015, 11:28 Flatline

So I finally picked up Dirt Rally and a G27 wheel and got to play with it last night.

That was f*cking awesome. Most fun in a driving game that I've had in years.

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - F1 2015
9. Re: Ship Ahoy - F1 2015 Jul 11, 2015, 23:12 Flatline

Man some of those shots seriously hit photo-realism.  

News Comments > DiRT Rally Adds World RX Content
8. Re: DiRT Rally Adds World RX Content Jul 10, 2015, 14:19 Flatline

Nameless One wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 20:45:
There are three main things I hated with the only other Dirt game I have experienced, Dirt 2 (as far as I remember it):

The other people, with revolting personalities and revolting voices, that they had talking at the player in and around that pointless trailer you moved around to select menu items, "hey come do this", "you'll need to buy one of these cars" etc,

Those massive fugly SUV pieces of garbage, fat cars for fat (headed) people,

and this, round and round in "circles" racing in a rally game. If things are structured such that I never have to touch them then it will be ok I suppose, but force it on me as part of some progression "story" and I'll probably stop playing.

Motorbike rallying (not motocross but proper rallying on bikes) I would like to see, since I can't remember there ever being such a game, but if they were to do it save it for later and focus on the car game first.

@Flatline so far it seems quite good, since the force feedback fixing patch a while ago the more hard-core players are much happier with it and they are both working hard on getting it right and listening to feedback (as evidenced by the FFB fixing patch).

Sweet I think I'll pick it up this weekend thanks!

News Comments > DiRT Rally Adds World RX Content
2. Re: DiRT Rally Adds World RX Content Jul 9, 2015, 19:32 Flatline

Rally racing sounds kind of fun and I enjoy it in real life. Is this game any good?  

85. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 19:02 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 17:32:
Luke wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 16:58:
Darks wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 16:48:
Before this is all said and done, this game will turn out to be the biggest law suit in the history of gaming.

Chris Roberts wont even be able to find a Rock to hide under after ripping off everyone with false hopes and dreams.

people should just stop Funding any games out there , people are just so easy to trick

I'm glad to have backed Elite Dangerous, I got into the very late beta stage when it wasn't very expensive to do so and played it for 300 hours.

The biggest observable thing that they did on ED was to fine tune the space flight and combat feel to the game first and foremost. I still feel like they haven't done this properly for Star Citizen, all of the releases they've made so far have felt like they're bolting on a spaceship hud to a FPS game. There's a sense of physical presence you get in ED, especially if you use Track IR or one of the many forms of head tracking that Star Citizen is lacking.

For all the jokes about ED's flight model feeling like an out-of-control brick once you get used to all the different thrust vectors and FA Off it's really, REALLY hard to go back to a simpler flight model.

Go buy one of the X-wing games off of GOG, and play ED until it feels like second nature, then boot up TIE fighter or XWA and feel how f*cking... clunky... the game feels. It's hard going back to Freespace 2 and I never thought I'd say that.

26. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 11:34 Flatline

Darks wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:25:
Cutter wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 10:49:
You know it's bad when even the natives are getting restless.

Yep, you know when its going down hill quickly when they have to start justify their actions and trying to explain and convince you that everything is OK.

Seems appropriate considering Mr Robert's pension for quasi-futuristic clothing.

https://tinyurl.com/nkgpwuf

22. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 11:25 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:12:
Is it just me, or are people reading a totally different version of this announcement?

It's a bunch of words - that say nothing concrete. At all.

Only fanboys - the same ones who are attacking everyone who doesn't agree with them - are lapping up this bullshit.

To be frank, the fact that my article has sparked this discussion all across gaming communities, is pretty much what I wanted to see happen.

It also prompted them to respond to certain things they kept quiet about.

Now this "update"

STOP giving them money until they ship a substantial part of what they promised back in 2012. It really is that simple.

It actually only addresses like... one of the issues that most critics have that I've seen. Like easily half the points on that list I haven't seen anyone bring up. Then again I don't hang out on the forum so I don't know what weird culture is thriving there.

21. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 11:22 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 10:55:
ĎFeature creep!í - "I donít have much to say to this, beyond that itís not accurateÖ"

this basically invalidates everything else this dumbfuck is saying

Yeah I laughed at that.

The other thing that made me laugh is the first point about the FPS module not being delayed indefinitely.

Definition of Indefinitely: for an unlimited or unspecified period of time. (Bolded for emphasis)

Chris Roberts: "When will we see Star Marine? Tonight, I donít have an absolute answer for you."

THAT'S THE FUCKING DEFINITION OF INDEFINITELY ASSHOLE.

News Comments > GOG.com's Windows 10 Support
19. Re: GOG.com's Windows 10 Support Jul 8, 2015, 14:22 Flatline

harlock wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 13:58:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 8, 2015, 13:38:
Ever since Nadella took over from Balmer i've really liked the direction Microsoft has been going. I think having an engineer running the company has been a good thing for Microsoft and one thats been needed ever since Gates left the CEO position. I'll absolutely be upgrading to Win10. I imagine it'll be just as compatible as Win7/8 are.

it follows the pattern, right?

win98 good, winME bad
winXP good, winVista bad
win7 good, win8 bad

before the dumbshits start the flame war over how AWESOME win8 is FOR YOU, just keep in mind its been an absolute failure in terms of adoption rate, sales and public perception

Nah it fits. Windows 8 under the hood is pretty good actually from an objective point of view and is a significant step forward from even Windows 7. I've been running 7 in a corporate environment and 8 at home and there's stuff I *really* wish 7 would do that 8/2012 does. Server 2012 is a serious piece of software and their HyperV environment makes serious in-roads into VMWare's virtualization platform if you're an all-microsoft shop. Plus I know it's a total throwback to the old days but Powershell rocks once you get used to it. And there's no excuse to not get used to it since these days GUI just gets ported over to Powershell and you can check a box and look at the script the GUI generated before it runs.

Metro is what sunk Windows 8. Fucking metro. They even put it in Server 2012. Who the fuck has ever heard of a tablet/phone touch interface on a goddamn SERVER OS!

Metro has pushed me away from using the start menu alright. That goddamn metro tab? I hate it. It's slow to come up and a pain in the ass and the only time I ever see it is when I'm searching for something in the computer. Otherwise 100% of my computing is done off the app bar and the desktop because fuck tiles and fuck metro with a barb wire dildo.

2504 Comments. 126 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo