Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2010 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
42. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 21:52 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 21:07:
Damn you people...

Downloading SoM as we speak....

Same here. GMG gave me a 23% discount so I think I spent 38 bucks on the game. Sub-40 dollars should be a good deal I suspect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 18:53 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:34:
Whoever was the cunt that made that car bomb threat, I hope he is found and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. These threats help neither side.

And speaking of Leigh Alexander, have a compilation of saying from this SJW woman. Because if anyone can talk about ethics, it surely is she.

Who is this person and why do they apparently have power to ruin the lives of people?

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 5, 2014, 14:50 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:30:
NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:08:
Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:23:
That's all that this interview really is - someone makes a small very niche game complaining that few people are interested. Which is what happens when something is small and niche.

Unless you know somebody, in which case a single article on a gaming news website can make all the difference in the world, even for a simple non-games like this guys visual novel, or Depression Quest.

That type of favor currying is commonplace in many industries, but that doesn't make it okay, or any less frustrating for someone who sees equivalent projects take off because of insider connections, while their project flounders.

Though true, c'mon, it's how everything in the world works. Every single thing. How do most people get jobs? By knowing someone in the company to pass on the resume. Have you ever known an employee at a busy restaurant? Then you could get reservations. Have you known someone that works for a sports team? Then you could probably get tickets.

We like to live in some kind of weird world where everything is based on merit, but that's an impossibility because determining merit is extremely time consuming. If there's someone you know, who also is worth merit, it tends to go to that person because you don't have to go through a billion things to find him/her.

There are 2,119 submissions in Steam Greenlight. How many, realistically, can get coverage? How many people would read the coverage? And how long would someone have to spend sorting through those to find one to cover? How many would he have to look at, how many would he have to play, how many hours would he have to play?

2,119 submissions. Not all will get any form of coverage.

Doesn't that argument make the coverage Depression Quest got more absurd?

I played it, and while it was okay it didn't reveal any deep understanding or revelation about living with depression. But I did see multiple articles about it, while passing over what at the time might have been more deserving games.

If it had been a larger part of a journalistic jag to cover games that artistically address social issues that are either ignored or are hard to talk about that would be awesome. And that's kind of how the DQ game was pitched in the articles I read. But it never followed through.

The thing of it is, taken in a larger context, shit like DQ is a good thing. It's old, but I recently played dys4ia over at Newgrounds that was an attempt at autobiographical conversation about hormone therapy for a trans person. And while playing it, I remarked on how awesome it is that and indie dev can make a piece of art like that and publish it. And how the thematic exploration game deserves to be explored as a larger genre.

But that requires exposure and support.

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
9. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 11:44 Flatline

btallas wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:02:
I've never seen a game require an i7 processor for minimum spec. Looking at videos of the game, it's not a graphical showcase. Is the extra power going to enemy AI or more enemies on screen?

The only thing I can guess is that it benefits from hyperthreading, which I believe the i7 provides.

News Comments > etc.
65. Re: etc. Oct 3, 2014, 00:18 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 20:24:
Flatline wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 20:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 16:32:
Gaming journalism is an attempt to sell you products. Nothing more.

You have to admit that game journalists pretty much stuck their dick into the pudding when all those "Gaming culture is dead" articles came out in this weirdly synchronized manner.

That was like throwing gasoline onto a fire and then pumping pure oxygen into it. The 1-2 punch of telling your customers to go fuck themselves they're morally reprehensible and then doing it in a synchronized way while claiming that there is no collusion was epic amounts of stupid regardless of what the truth really is.

They didn't see it as telling their consumers to go fuck themselves, they saw it as telling dickheads they don't want reading their shit to go fuck themselves and thought people would understand and rally with them.

Instead, a lot of feathers got ruffled and people stopped reading at "gamer," proudly considering themselves gamers and not making the leap to realize the author meant the outside stereotype of "gamer," which we've all cringed at, all been annoyed at, and I'm willing to wager most people here have met someone and downplayed how much gaming they do because of that stereotype.

I think there's 3 people to blame:
1) The reader. Yeah, the reader. I think people jumped off the handle at initial shock-value hypotheses and never bothered thinking about what they were reading after that
2) The authors. These people write for a living. Having their message that poorly understood is shocking. In fairness to them, I'd wager many people furious didn't even read the articles and either Cutter'd it and just read the headline and got angry, or just read a recap thread somewhere
3) Leigh Alexander, who takes pride in being very pointed and definitely threw gasoline on a fire

Fair points. I'm not particularly engaged in all of this, and as a more or less outsider who peeks in occasionally, I have to say that suddenly having the game blogging/journalism "community" simultaneously say "Your hobby is dead and you're a part of a terrible smear on human existence", even if that's not the substance of what they were saying, pretty much put me off of them entirely.

It seems to be the intent to fire a narrow salvo at a specific group of people, but they forgot they're in public, and shit like "gamers as a group are dead" is just *mildly* incendiary, it's going to alienate people who aren't even following the story.

I mean, I heard about the original cheating relationship... thing... about a week after it broke out, figured it was none of my business and went back to living life.

The next thing I particularly knew about Gamergate was that Slate fucking website main-paged an article showing how all these game journos posted "gamers are dead!" all of a sudden.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that's exactly *not* the kind of exposure that you want to have.

News Comments > etc.
60. Re: etc. Oct 2, 2014, 20:02 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 2, 2014, 16:32:
Gaming journalism is an attempt to sell you products. Nothing more.

You have to admit that game journalists pretty much stuck their dick into the pudding when all those "Gaming culture is dead" articles came out in this weirdly synchronized manner.

That was like throwing gasoline onto a fire and then pumping pure oxygen into it. The 1-2 punch of telling your customers to go fuck themselves they're morally reprehensible and then doing it in a synchronized way while claiming that there is no collusion was epic amounts of stupid regardless of what the truth really is.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record
13. Re: Star Citizen's $55M Sets Crowdfunding Record Oct 1, 2014, 12:12 Flatline

Julio wrote on Oct 1, 2014, 11:59:
I'm curious to see where this one finishes at before the final (well as final as this game will be) game comes out. Wonder how well it will trend on microtransactions post release too.

If they want to profit they'll probably have to have microtransactions out the ass, seeing as everyone who wants a copy will have a copy before it launches.

Also, wouldn't the 11 billion alphas and betas of Minecraft qualify as crowdfunding? That was a totally indie effort and made like 250 million in 2012 alone.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
17. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 11:33 Flatline

Xero wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 11:24:
I've watched a decent amount of commentary gameplay videos and while the game looks fun, I think it can be boring after a lil while when you get to learn the patterns and ways to constantly kill the required target. I mean, I'm hoping for the best and I'll keep an eye out for reviews, but this is definitely a bargain bin game for me as I have plenty of other games to keep me entertained until this drops tremendously. That and an upgrade is overdue for my rig...

I'd be more interested if the game was unshackled from LOTR. God I'm sick of that IP getting milked to death.

News Comments > Visceral: Battlefield Hardline "Will Work"
14. Re: Visceral: Battlefield Hardline Sep 29, 2014, 14:22 Flatline

This is like a restaurant advertising that their food won't give you food poisoning.

I appreciate the reassurance, but it's not exactly making me excited.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
67. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 26, 2014, 19:50 Flatline

Yeesh.

All I know is that apparently, I am dead and should be ashamed of myself or something according to some dipshit with an English Major and C-tier or D-tier writing capabilities whose heights of talent and skill have taken them all the way to video game blog website clickbait.

I'm so glad I had that explained to me. I'll turn my fun badge in immediately.

It's time for game "journalism" to go away as we know it. It's shit quality writing for the most part, the only industry that is any more incestuous between the reporters and the industry is the food industry, and as others have said (like over at slate here http://tinyurl.com/nvdbj45 ), "gaming journalists" are becoming the appendix of the gaming industry. They're not particularly necessary any more.

Whatever gamergate was, I'm seeing an awful lot of whining from journalists about how we, as an audience and as consumers, both of games and of their product, should behave. This is a terminal attitude. It cannot last. Even Apple, as huge as it is, bends to customer will on occasion and doesn't dictate the proper attitude towards their product.

Game coverage is becoming a lot more direct between devs, publishers, and consumers, and that's a good thing. It'll get these dips out of the industry and back to Starbucks slinging my Double Pumpkin Spice Latte. And it can't happen soon enough.

Then shit like all the doxing and the crap about affairs and stuff will be a null issue.

I can dream can't I?

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
68. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 25, 2014, 19:30 Flatline

Kotaku posted I guess what Titan was supposed to be yesterday:

http://kotaku.com/heres-what-blizzards-titan-actually-was-1638632121

From what I read, it sounded like a snoozefest. I'll pass. And I really expected more than "hey let's take The Sims and cross it with Team Fortress 2!" from Blizzard.

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed
3. Re: Gone Gold - The Evil Within; Specs Revealed Sep 25, 2014, 19:25 Flatline

I'm curious why an i7 is more or less required. Probably the hyperthreading if I had to guess.

At any rate those are pretty steep requirements for a game I know pretty much nothing about.

News Comments > Borderlands The Pre-Sequel Trailer
9. Re: Borderlands The Pre-Sequel Trailer Sep 24, 2014, 22:46 Flatline

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 20:55:
$60 for this when I already own Borderlands 1+2+DLC and they only briefly offered us a preorder discount. At least offer a fan discount. I wonder if the idea ever crossed their minds. Welp, I'll just have to wait for it to drop below $20 in under a year while playing anything else instead.

Yeah the first 2 games I had put in an absurd amount of hours into (BL2 was well over 100 hours) so I got my money's worth, which is pretty crazy for an FPS.

But I burned out a long time ago on the game. I might pick this up on sale but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't.

News Comments > Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG
32. Re: Titan Falls: Blizzard Cancels Unannounced MMOG Sep 23, 2014, 18:19 Flatline

I kind of want to start a pool on when we see the next new IP from Blizzard. I say 7 years minimum.  

News Comments > Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer
8. Re: Triad Wars Beta Signups; Trailer Sep 23, 2014, 11:16 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2014, 10:54:
Also, at 0:58, the guy says that Sleeping Dogs had great driving. No, sir. No, it did not. The driving in sleeping dogs was ATROCIOUSLY bad. It is the worst driving ever put into an open world game, and it actively detracts from the enjoyment of the rest of the game.

Nah Mafia 2 had worse driving. Since all of the cars were "old school" they handled like boats and you were expected to do precision driving in them.

I finished Sleeping Dogs. The driving in Mafia 2 is so bad that I quit playing the game two times. First time a few years back and recently when I tried to get back into it to finish it. I just couldn't stand the f*cking driving.

Also, this game just lost my interest entirely.

News Comments > Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions
25. Re: Tim Schaefer Addresses Spacebase DF-9 Questions Sep 22, 2014, 13:47 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 22, 2014, 11:45:
Early access seems to quickly become : Buy our alpha, which we'll keep developing while early access money rolls in. Once the money stops, so do we.

It needs to really really really really really quickly die the fuck out.

And yet on the flip side I picked up the early access for Invisible Inc and am having a blast with it. It's a seriously unforgiving stealth game but even in the state it's in it's a complete game. Adding more stuff will just make it tastier.

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
53. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 22, 2014, 13:13 Flatline

Prez wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 22:28:
Flatline wrote on Sep 21, 2014, 21:00:
Normally I'd agree with you but this is a "professional" game studio. You know, one that theoretically has experience with game budgets and shit. By banking on their pedigree, they're saying the're less of a risk, or could achieve more with less, than a more "amateur" effort.

There seemed to be less inherent risk in this project, so I don't fault anyone for getting in on the Early Access, but as they say in investing "past performance is NOT a guarantee of future results" - even the pros screw the pooch every so often as it seems they did here. Honestly I came very close to getting in on the early access for this because of the premise (reminded me of Startopia) and who was making it. I'm glad I waited.

Yeah, in the end I think that the "past results do not guarantee future results" thing is the lesson to learn here. Still, these guys do advertise on their pedigree, so it's not totally unreasonable to expect them to live up to their pedigree.

Although in DF's case, any pedigree they can lay claim to seems to have had a publisher riding whip over them to keep them on task. Their two indie projects show a corporate culture of over-ambition, under funding, and a communication gap.

In other words, they're shitty bosses, and hate on the publishers all you want, but it seems like some dev teams like DF *need* an overlord to provide some kind of management.

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
50. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 21, 2014, 21:00 Flatline

Prez wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 22:29:
This is how kickstarter works - contributors are taking a risk, a calculated gamble that the dev will succeed in making the game they pitched in their design doc. The risk is that the game doesn't live up to its vision. Backers need to understand this, and that their only recourse is to be wiser about who they throw their money at in the future. So many people seem to not get this.

EDIT: This is not to say backers don't have a reason to be angry. On the contrary, according to the comparison of what was promnised and what was delivered, it seems they have every right to be pissed. This will end up costing Double Fine a lot more than the contributors in the long run. Their rep is going to take a huge hit over this.

Normally I'd agree with you but this is a "professional" game studio. You know, one that theoretically has experience with game budgets and shit. By banking on their pedigree, they're saying the're less of a risk, or could achieve more with less, than a more "amateur" effort.

As for broken age, I could give them the benefit of the doubt... if this wasn't their follow up. This is the second game where they said "oh fuck it we ran out of money here's what you get and if you're lucky we'll fix this later." Instead of looking like a fluke where kickstarted expectations inflated the scope of the game too far too fast (again a designer issue but whatever), it's now in retrospect looking more like a "we can't manage our money" thing, because we are seeing a trend here now.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced
21. Re: FINAL FANTASY XIII for PC Announced Sep 19, 2014, 00:54 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 22:00:
In other news, the FFXV trailer is actually pretty interesting. Then again, FFXIII trailers were interesting, and look how that turned out.

Nice to see that they're reusing monster design from Pacific Rim and Star Wars (episode 2 I believe).

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 18, 2014, 19:58 Flatline

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 19:44:
Sad to see this one go down. Swordfighting is fun.

By Stephenson's own admission, this game wasn't fun.

2010 Comments. 101 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo