Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1952 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
19. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 13:29 Flatline

Wildone wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 13:08:
They need to STOP acquiescing to fanboy demands, and GET ON WITH IT.

To be sure the neckbeard committee in the forums is driving the game in a particular direction that I don't find engaging.

It's funny that the last time around a game tried to do this much it was ridiculed. Then again He Who Must Not Be Named was behind Battleship 3000.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
65. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 5, 2014, 12:07 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 11:25:
Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:05:
Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win.
The handling is different to other games because the physics is modelled accurately, meaning when you turn you have to allow for deceleration from thrusters firing in the opposite direction. It also means that when thrusters are damaged the ship handling can be dramatically altered.

As for the game being more of a simulator than a game, the RSI forums are filled with people complaining that it's too dumbed down. Handling is something that is going to receive substantial work before release and each patch usually improves things. Personally I think it's a nice balance and what I expected given Chris Roberts' previous games.

1st. Bullshit. That means that in first person mode my head has fucking thrusters in it when I mouselook and get that atrocious rubber-band effect. The same "physics" as the ship.

2nd. Except that when the game was pitched to me and I paid for it I wasn't going for a hardcore Newtonian physics space sim.

I already had one of those called Independence War and it was interesting but not something totally amazing.

3rd. It's not even an accurate Newtonian physics model.

Oh wait that's right. I'm not allowed to criticize because it's an ALPHA which is a get out of jail free card.

Edit: 4th. Actually the design-by-committee by hardcore grognard neckbeards isn't a n enduring or promising thing. I can already see if shit hits the fan the scapegoat of "well this is what you wanted!" will be invoked.

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.themagazine.ca/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/homerfront1.jpg

News Comments > Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained
14. Re: Star Citizen at $49M; Ongoing Funding Explained Aug 5, 2014, 11:54 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 11:08:
Agree with SpectralMeat. If you check out the latest monthly report for July then you will see that lots of time at those studios is wasted on the Gamescom reveal, ship commercials, peripheral crap etc.
Even the studio in Manchester, headed by Erin Roberts, that is doing Squadron 42, or should be doing Squadron 42, is constantly sidetracked because they need to help out on other stuff.

That's a bad sign. Frequently when I read about some epic project and how it crashed and burned and turned into a shadow of it's former self, I read about how pissed off the devs were that they constantly got sidetracked over and over and over again on other projects.

Look at the Eve Online/World of Darkness debacle for a prime, albeit extreme example.

61. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 15:05 Flatline

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 22:05:
The current flying in Star Citizen is very peculiar.

It is as if all the flight modes you have used before, including the established Wing Commander ones have been purposely left out.

Because, reasons.

Well depending on how optimistic you are that's either because "it's an alpha!" (which seems to be the blanket excuse, even for game design decisions) or the slightly more realistic cop that Chris Roberts has a hardon for a more simulator experience than a game, or the more cynical suspicion that the flight control model is intentionally obtuse because it's the dodge required to avoid the accusations of pay to win. After all, if the fucking thing is too difficult to control, then yes, someone with some piloting skills will be able to take down a 500 dollar ship in a dogfight.

Of course, that ignores early dev statements that the flight model would be more familiar to us because fun games are better than pain in the ass simulators.

But then again not much of the original game design still exists at this point.

60. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 4, 2014, 14:56 Flatline

Ryan Lange wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:33:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 20:27:
[snip]

Why is any of that so utterly important for an alpha release?

Edit: Hell, they could have chosen not to do a "public" alpha. You should be thanking them for giving you something to screw with your hate boner.

Actually, when I kickstarted they were pretty clear that the DFM/Arena Commander release wouldn't be an alpha.

That being said, with all the billions of modules in this goddamn thing and all the stretch goals, I can't even begin to imagine the maintenance that will be required on this game. You'll have knowledge of the program spread out over like 20 different companies.

I really don't see this game *not* having either insane F2P style monetization or a subscription stapled to it. The logistics just to issue a patch is going to be insane.

News Comments > Star Citizen in Depth
22. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:39 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:37:
Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:33:
Didn't that ship qualify for lifetime insurance? It was early enough in the fundraising run that it should have.

No idea, I'm curious what ships come with insurance and which ones aren't insured. Or is there an ongoing insurance fee?

Anything bought before a specific date has lifetime free insurance. So you basically get a new ship if it gets blown up.

After that you have to buy in-game insurance to get your ships replaced.

20. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:33 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:30:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 11:29:
So what happens if this ship dies? I imagine if you bought a $1000 ship, you have it insured (maybe with that lifetime insurance thing they offered). Can you just go get another one? Or is it like a Titan death in EVE where you're just SOL if you lose it?

No idea, if anyone knows love to hear it. Otherwise I'd assume you spend another $1000. Or maybe they're selling insurance.

Didn't that ship qualify for lifetime insurance? It was early enough in the fundraising run that it should have.

18. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:19 Flatline

"There will be an algorithmic component to mission generation," he explained. "We’re hoping to design a system that allows for missions that look customized, but are actually composed of atomic elements. That’ll fill up the universe."

I've been wondering why MMOs haven't done this for years now. In my hypothetical Shadowrun MMO that I wrote a design doc for years ago, one of the aspects of the game is that you generate a lifepath of sorts at the beginning of the game- really just a quick Q&A or other form that creates a background for you. This background becomes the seed for a quest storyline that uses lots of small atomic bits to generate a personal story for your PC. Failed love interests that come back into your life, a brother who can't stay out of trouble with the law, the father who has severe gambling debts, things like that which crop up out of both the decisions you've made and the history you've gathered to yourself. So that at the end of every level grind you have at the very least a story that is probably pretty unique to your character.

It would require a *lot* of content generation up front, but I see as something that would massively pay off if implemented properly.

21. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 16:15 Flatline

D'oh. I posted from my phone and apparently although hangar is a proper English word my autocorrect preferred hanger. Oops.

And you may be right about that. I'll give it a shot. A FoV of 55 is absurd.

Edit: And for people who are saying this 90 dollar ship is psychotic and stupid, let's not forget this is the game where you can subscribe for 20 bucks a month and receive more or less nothing in return other than a warm fuzzy feeling and delusions of relevancy.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2014, 16:20.

15. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 15:09 Flatline

Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:01:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:54:
Gib007 wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 14:41:
Much as I love Elite Dangerous, just wait until Star Citizen has matured on to a Beta stage and beyond. It will crap on it. That's why I back both games. For Elite Dangerous, I bought Premium Beta. For Star Citizen, I bought the game along with the Origin 325a and then I bought a Cutlass and a Hornet.
You mean you HOPE it'll crap on it, hence the investment.

Assume all the features promised and all the mechanics promised will be in the game - it will be a much more immersive game. Investment-wise, I'm not bothered. In Gibraltar, we're swimming in it!

I currently see myself playing Elite Dangerous on the persistent Universe up to the day Star Citizen hits a stable mark on its own persistent Universe.

So I finally fired up my copy of Star Citizen that I kickstarted. Broke out my HOTAS setup and let her rip on the new PC I recently built.

It's... terrible. I got motion sick in the hanger. Turn your view left, and when yous top the head swims left about 5 degrees of view then rubber bands back right. I guess they implemented a physics engine for mouselook?

The graphics are... decent. I'm running everything on Very High and it's not bad but not fantastic. There are graphical artifacts *everywhere* and that really screws things up but I guess I can let that pass for an "alpha" that cooked for an extra six months past release date.

The 70 dollar pledge level I plunked down for whatever ship it was that I bought plus the game has guns on it literally like pea-shooters. I have a feeling that if I bought the 100 dollar or more ships I wouldn't feel like I have no weaponry on the thing.

I am slavishly obsessed with the idea of space sims. And this game has me feeling completely meh.

But at least I have a towel in the hanger!

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 19:20 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 21:25:
What a stupid, stupid article.

Pretty much.

I just need to reply to point 8 though:

8. I don't have to spend 50 bucks a year to listen to 14 year-olds call me a fag and scream at me.

On that point alone I think PCs win.

News Comments > Where Crytek Stands
3. Re: Where Crytek Stands Jul 30, 2014, 19:11 Flatline

I give them 6 months.  

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
5. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 13:47 Flatline

Now we know where the "restructuring" funding came from.  

News Comments > Firefly Online Trailer
22. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 28, 2014, 11:55 Flatline

smackdaddy wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 20:59:
Didn't anyone else notice the for PC, mac and tablets and phones. How on earth is anything made to run on a tablet or phone going to be deep?

KOTOR1 runs on my iPad 2 without any issues.

13. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 20:07 Flatline

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 14:02:
Pre-purchase now to help Netflix buy the rights from Fox and start working on season 2.

It's been 10 years. Everyone's... aged... I'd be more on board with an animated series or something along those lines.

12. Re: Firefly Online Trailer Jul 27, 2014, 20:06 Flatline

Talisorn wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 14:32:
This looks better suited to a single player game. And this comes from someone who loves MMOs.

First thing that popped into my mind is "sci-fi survival". I mean, that's the entire point of the setting. It'd be kind of cool to roll with that.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 25, 2014, 11:26 Flatline

Considering their stellar performance at airports I expect software reviewed by homeland security to scrape all my data, send it to the government, then make my computer catch fire.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week
29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Beta Next Week Jul 25, 2014, 11:23 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:44:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 14:37:
commonperson wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 11:05:
... the technology behind the game so far is solid enough for an Alpha. ...

The CryEngine might not be robust enough to manage multiplayer space combat as intended. For example:

When you fire your lasers you drain ship energy. This energy drain impacts your engines and speed. This ship speed reduction is not modeled correctly (at all?) in the positional prediction algorithms which keep your local client ship in sync with the remote server ship.

As you can modify your energy usage on the fly, faster than the client-server can accommodate, this results in positional mismatching and all the artifacts that brings to the client.

Can this be fixed? CryTek is having difficulties and is probably in no position to assist any more than they are.

That's an incredibly simple/common problem for multiplayer games. You need to sync objects on every client. The multiplayer programmers will do their job and make it work... If you're going to go crazy about every small bug they're having, it's going to be a long development! But maybe the problem is deeper than you make it seem?

If it's incredibly simple to resolve why didn't they fix that in their alpha? They admitted it wasn't a "normal" alpha because it'd be so hyper-criticised so they went back and delayed the project for months re-writing and "testing" the net code so that all wouldn't be an issue because the crytek netcode sucks.

I finally installed the game since they first launched the hanger. My PC runs well above spec for the game and I saw the same muddy mess that I saw when I first ran the hanger. Only now with physics implemented I get motion sick too (and I rarely get motion sick in a game). I mean, in FPS mode you turn to look at something and your view swims past where you stop then snaps back. It makes me queasy.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion – New Frontiers Edition
3. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion – New Frontiers Edition Jul 25, 2014, 11:14 Flatline

Sins of a Solar Empire: Beating a Dead Horse edition (They were going to call it the "we're out of ideas" edition but thank god good taste prevailed).

Fun game 7 years ago when it first came out.

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
53. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 23, 2014, 19:51 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 01:07:
In real life if I was forced to ... well, that's besides the point. Whatever the reason, it wouldn't be because reality was scripted in a way that created a contrived a plot line. Whatever happened in real life wouldn't rip me out of the experience and remind me that I'm not really there.

Actually that's exactly the point.

Seriously, "bomb the shit out of coordinates X,Y NOW SOLDIER" is a thing that happens in real life. And in real life occasionally that has resulted in innocent people being killed or lethal friendly fire. How you deal with committing an atrocity is the entire point of the game.

Shit as a soldier you're taught not to question orders, especially in the heat of battle.

You're actually illustrating the point of the game designers pretty well.

1952 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo