Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2560 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
31. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 15, 2015, 00:36 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:52:

Eeeeeeexactacaly. It might also have to do with TESO. Maybe Beth does indeed hope that people with an itch for TES will hop on TESO sooner or later.

I picked it up for 11 bucks and am having almost zero fun in it. Not sure what's missing from it compared to, say, any TES game but there's a vital element missing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
36. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 13, 2015, 16:49 Flatline

Keith wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:28:
Got the launcher. Had to disable antivirus as it believed the launch file to be a virus. Downloaded this portion of the game, took about 45 minutes via cable. Launched. Brings you to an apparently empty (except for your faceless, bodiless self) hanger. Moved towards the exit. Game froze. CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get out of it. Retried. Same thing. Rebooted, retried. Same thing. Deleted until further improvements.

In other words nothing has changed since literally day 1 of AC. That sums my experience up entirely.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Aug 11, 2015, 14:55 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 11:52:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 09:31:
It Will Be a “Very Long Time” Before we Hear About the Next Elder Scrolls Game; Team 100% Focused on Fallout 4.

Damn. I'm excited for F4, but I'm really getting an ES itch. Maybe time for a Skyrim replay.

ESO is a good way to get your fix. It was down to $12 US, just a couple of weeks ago. Probably the best part is getting to see all the new and fleshed out areas of the world, with new graphics. zenimax developers seem to be doing better than bethesda in many areas. It's nice to have better dialog, not great but certainly better. There's actually bug fixing, so most quests work! Amazed

I absolutely cannot get into it. I'm just bored as fucking fuck with it and I don't know why. I regret the 11 dollars I spent on it so far. The quests seem boring and generic as all hell.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
76. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:20 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 18:12:
Flatline wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 18:03:

Yeah I've been wondering how close to saturated the market is already for SC. I think it'd be fair to say that over 50% of their market has already invested. Probably closer to 75% if I had to guess.

So even if it launches complete, how the f*ck is it *profitable*?

Therein lies the rub. Especially since those already vested, will expect to have EVERYTHING coming out - including SQ42 - for free, since they've already paid for it.

Which is why I mentioned the ponzi/pyramid scheme example in the blog I wrote yesterday.

Yeah I have a gut feeling that we haven't begun to see the monetization required to keep SC running. If you believed their original budget projections, they should have like 30 million for dev and then a 50 million dollar warchest which you'd think would ensure the game running for years and years on a minimal monetization model.

The later they get, the smaller that warchest gets, and the sooner they're going to have to figure out a revenue stream to keep things running.

And sorry, single player SQ42 part 2 and 3 isn't going to cut it. Because yeah, if they divide that game up into pay to play for parts 2 and 3 I'm going to be motherfucking *pissed off*. And even if the backers *do* get all 3 parts free, space combat sims aren't big enough to keep the whole monster running.

I suspect we'll see subscriptions. Or grab-your-ankles levels of micro-transactions.

75. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:16 Flatline

Oh and as for the video, the tech demo is kind of cool, but I remember playing in a turret in X-Wing Alliance and you know what? 15 minutes in a fucking turret basically playing a rail shooter is balls. Rail shooters are barely a genre any more they're so boring.

The only positive post I saw in 4 pages of thread concerning the *concept* of the turrets is "yay now I can *chat* with my friends instead of playing!"

Because... you know... there aren't eleventy billion chat programs out there already. Fuck Steam has one built in.

73. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:12 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 16:49:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 14:26:
Hey Derek Smart,

Why not just kickstarter a squadron 42 type game without the crazy ambitions?

Because I don't have any interest in developing simple games which don't capture my genius and creativity.

Anyway, this is new. Get ready to change your pants.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

Wow thanks for the heads up on that. It looks like an unholy love child between a roguelike, Raiden Shumps, and Freelancer. I'll mark that to be watched and back it if it looks like it's getting towards funding.

72. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:03 Flatline

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 10:49:
I think there's a lot of ill-placed belief in future sales of both Squadron 42, and whatever "Star citizen" turns out to be.

There's a reason that EA and the big studios aren't making games likes this, and it boils down to mass appeal. Some people here like games like this, and I sometimes enjoy games likes this, but as a whole the gaming community doesn't buy these games.

If you haven't backed this game already, you probably aren't going to until it is actually released or you aren't going to buy it at all, and when it is actually released, what are the sales numbers going to be like considering that the majority of people who want to play this game already backed it at an earlier stage?

So really...the only option for CIG is to keep producing ships, and now ship parts to be sold for real money in order to increase funds. The idea that this is going to take off, and every kid in America is going to put down his X-box controller, beg his parents to spend $3,000 on a gaming rig, and start living as "Star Citizens" is ridiculous.

The current business model is only sustainable by selling in-game items for cash, and considering the store existed way before the game, the store is the priority, and not the "game."

Yeah I've been wondering how close to saturated the market is already for SC. I think it'd be fair to say that over 50% of their market has already invested. Probably closer to 75% if I had to guess.

So even if it launches complete, how the f*ck is it *profitable*?

News Comments > John Wick VR Game Announced
10. Re: John Wick VR Game Announced Aug 8, 2015, 17:53 Flatline

Fantaz wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 03:17:
they should make a really good game based on The Matrix.

and i will always be waiting for this to happen one day.

If memory serves JW was written and directed by The Matrix stunt people. That's why the action's good.

News Comments > Stellaris Announced
6. Re: Stellaris Announced Aug 7, 2015, 14:03 Flatline

Task wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:26:
I missed that detail. Indeed not a whole lot of space games are centered around mainly exploring Star Trek or Next Generation style.

That's one late game option according to RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/

Others include weird stuff like AI uprisings, punching holes in reality and letting swarm creatures through, and weird shit like that. I'm actually *really* excited after reading the RPS description. They seem to have really wanted the mid and late games to have some real meat on it and that makes me kind of giddy.

News Comments > New Overwatch Hero Unveiled
5. Re: New Overwatch Hero Unveiled Aug 6, 2015, 11:40 Flatline

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 11:04:
BitWraith wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 11:00:
I'm having a hard time figuring out who gives a crap about this game.

They certainly seem to be pushing it hard.

They have to recoup/have something to show for 10 years of dev costs from Titan somehow.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 18:53 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:26:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:00:
Chris seems to spend all of his time giving interviews and looking for even more money.

That's pretty much what Star Citizen is all about. Take the money and change the scope.

Star Citizen: The Search for More Money

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
31. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 18:44 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 13:21:
You can buy the expansion content for 50 or if you're a new user just the expansion for 60 which includes the base game.

Sounds good to me as a new user but if I'd purchased the original game I think I'd feel pretty pissed about them asking for another $50.

I kind of am pissed. The expansion almost hits the sweet spot for me at 45 bucks. I could stomach 40 bucks. That would drop the "core game" price from the 30 or so that you see on sale occasionally now to 20 for the "bundle". I could easily stomach a 30 dollar price point, and am fine for a 40 dollar price point. For some reason though the extra 5 bucks kind of does it for me.

More importantly though, that means that odds are the content for the core elite game after the CQB update is probably going to be static. And that makes me have a sad.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Announced
2. Re: Halo Wars 2 Announced Aug 4, 2015, 18:25 Flatline

Yay?

The last Halo Wars was... okay... I guess... The story was utterly forgettable and the gameplay was okay for being on a console.

I just wouldn't peg it as an IP I'd actively develop and pimp out.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 4, 2015, 12:10 Flatline

nin wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 20:38:
I'm still pissed they're dropping keyboards, to the point that I'm leaning towards not buying it...

Not terribly surprised but that blows.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 3, 2015, 19:47 Flatline

I'm really underwhelmed by the Rock Band 4 track list. The music itself may be good, but RB lives and dies on the ability of everyone in the party/group to know the music enough to at least sing along with the chorus.

I can't count how many times someone at a party smashed the rock band vibe and brought it to a screeching halt by insisting on playing one or two tracks that only they knew.

In fact, that's usually how sessions of rock band usually ended. "Oh hey I downloaded my favorite track let's play it"

*cues 4 mintues of screeching and thumping*

"Hey, let's watch Friends instead."

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Aug 2, 2015, 15:22 Flatline

harlock wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 14:59:
story going around was that it got changed big time some point during development, im assuming to make it more "appealing" or whatever

Well I know that they took out the UT style announcer and I think they jiggered the XP system or took it out or something.

I bought it. Played like 15-20 minutes of it. Gave up, uninstalled it, never played it again. I got it for free from my video card and am pretty ambivalent about it.

I quit because navigating the city was boring as fuck, felt basically on-rails, and the story was going nowhere. The thief chick that was with me in the beginning didn't inspire me.

Point-blank? It came out after Dishonored. And decided to crib way too much from that game while leaving out the fun shit that facilitated movement. The levels were designed obviously around gameplay and not around living habitations, the guards were placed in a "gamey" way and not at all like the guard patrols in the old thief games...

It was just mediocre and unmemorable. All the world building that was intriguing in the original thief games (and I *loved* the world that the Thief games built) was more or less tossed out the window.

News Comments > Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Delayed
2. Re: Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO Delayed Jul 31, 2015, 13:01 Flatline

I'm loving Dirt Rally but I'll take another offroad rally sim and be happy with it.  

News Comments > Endless Space 2 Announced
1. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Jul 31, 2015, 11:15 Flatline

Did they ever fix the obscenely imbalanced cheating AI that could outbuild in 2 systems what you could build having conquered the entire rest of the galaxy?  

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced
10. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 12:01 Flatline

Ceribaen wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:33:
I'm actually pretty stoked about a mech tactical RPG... the only thing better would be the originally teased MW game as posted before me.

But my question is, I thought the Battletech license for PC was a web of who knows who actually owns it these days between FASA, Microsoft, and a few others? Did I miss when that got resolved?

I suspect that mechwarrior and battletech are actually two different properties.

At any rate, MS owned them both due to buying out FASA.

Now the board game, that's a fucking nightmare. You'd think the company that prints the game would also make the figs but you'd be very, very wrong last time I checked.

News Comments > GOG.com & Windows 10
2. Re: GOG.com & Windows 10 Jul 29, 2015, 11:37 Flatline

Creston wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 10:45:
Love or hate Windows 10, what GOG is doing to prepare for it is fantastic.

Over at Steam, they're like "Yeah whatever. Who gives a shit whether it'll work or not."

That's always been their approach. I still have games that broke in the jump to 7 from XP. A couple of the Max Payne games in particular.

I flat out don't buy old games on Steam any more because I don't expect them to work without massive effort on my part.

2560 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo