Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Warframe Registers 1M Players
15. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 6, 2013, 20:29 Flatline

Moog wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 06:23
uite enjoy it - fun co-op gameplay - but their micotransaction prices are *way* too high to ever consider dropping any money on it.

Will play my default frame with my default weapons until I get bored with it, then delete the installation. [/quote:

Exactly. Tribes Ascend hit this sweet spot where for like 20 bucks I could unlock most of the base content in the game (the player classes). I could unlock my favorite play style for a few bucks and go from there.

Warframe is kind of fun, but I'm not about to spend 30-50 bucks on a PC class that lets me play the game slightly different. Or 10 dollars on a bow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 5, 2013, 22:32 Flatline

I was a pretty loyal xbox fan this past generation, but in between console generations I have zero loyalty. If Microsoft decides to fuck up the new xbox, then I'll be happy to jump ship and look at PS4, which Sony finally seems to be "getting it" after the amazing hubris with the PS3.  

News Comments > Warframe Registers 1M Players
4. Re: Warframe Registers 1M Players Apr 5, 2013, 22:30 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Apr 5, 2013, 22:18:
Anyone give it a shot?

I did. It was pretty bad.

Eh it's standard 3rd person shooter with severe grind imposed on it.

Which is normally "pretty bad, move on", but the up shot is that it takes like 15 minutes to complete an entire mission. And having the game be that discreet fucking rocks.

Game reminds me mildly of sven co-op though, with lots of rooms that basically have different themes chained together to create a level. You'll see lots of familiar rooms really quickly, and the radar points you int he proper direction relentlessly. Exploring has limited value as there aren't that many pick-ups in each map (but that makes them more worth while oddly enough).

Mods have an interesting fusion/upgrade system that is totally off-balanced by how expensive everything is. Apparently end game isn't much of anything and you're severely overpowered.

I wish it were easier to at least unlock new warframes. They're the real cash money sink (along with weapons, but I can live with that), and to unlock one otherwise you have to grind a blueprint, grind resources, and then grind money to assemble the new warframe, then wait some amount of time. I can't tell you how long because apparently the loot I need to grind to unlock my first warframe is about 2/3 of the way through the game.

I know the basic frame won't keep me interested that long, and I have no intention of spending money on this. It's a fun passtime but that's it.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month
32. Re: BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month Apr 4, 2013, 19:50 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 18:52:
Agreed, D3 was much more of a fail than SC2. SC2 was probably what most people wanted, which was really SC1.5 -- and that's what they got. SC2 wasn't terrible, I did buy it. But it just didn't manage to grab me like the original did. Plus, despite playing WoW for 6 years, I find myself in the "I want my single player games to be offline" crowd. It was "okay", a minor stumble. D3 however was a clear fail, even prior to launch. I didn't even consider buying it.

SC2 took 10 years to put out. An *expansion pack* (and please, when 90% of the functions of the game are identical and you get new maps/story mode, that's an expansion) took 3 years to put out. The human story was forgettable- Rebel against Mensk, get some psychic tuner thing, get Kerrigan, roll credits. Oh, and cameo of the chick from StarCraft: Ghost that we'll never, ever get to see, and from Zeratuul.

It just... wasn't A-list level. Which is understandable, because the A-list devs are on Titan supposedly.

News Comments > Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released
42. Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Source Code Released Apr 4, 2013, 17:58 Flatline

yuastnav wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:33:
Xero wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 10:18:
Why hasn't there been a new Jedi SOMETHING game in a while? Outcast and Academy were AWESOME games. Too many good times in multiplayer duel deathmatch. It was awesome fighting or even spectating those matches.
[...]

I can agree with the "fighting" part, however watching most of these matches was dreadful because at a higher skill level the fights consisted of the opponents circling each other and going backwards and forwards the whole time. Then they would swing their swords and hope that they managed to land a hit and that would go and on and on and on...

Still, a Jedi Knight 3 would be phenomenal, although it would lose a lot of its charm because it wouldn't use the Quake 3 engine anymore.
I think LucasArts decided that they'd rather release The Force Unleashed, which looked interesting back when I first saw it on Giga Games in... 2004? 2005?
Anyway, the game itself was dreadful, just awful and not fun in any way. There were also too many quick time events.
But that's probably why there will be no new Jedi Knight. It seems that they just abandoned a series in favour of something that is similar but ultimately less interesting.

The Force Unleashed would have been decent if the saber wasn't a fucking whiffle bat after the first couple levels. I mean, it shouldn't take 37 hits to kill a stormtrooper, even if he is a big badass mini-boss. After I realized that the lightsabers were useless, I just dumped all my points into force push and lightning and ran around zapping everyone, and it turned boring.

Whoever thought "let's make a game where you're actually a badass jedi" and then said "I know, let's make your lightsaber fucking useless" needs to be beaten severely.

And yes, the power level is way off from the rest of the films and the characters are boring and uninteresting and you know how the goddamn game is going to end since you *can't* kill the emperor or vader and you can't join them, since this is "canon" prequel shit. But it had promise as a good action fighting game, they just fucked it up.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month
26. Re: BlizzCon 2013 Ticket Sales This Month Apr 4, 2013, 17:47 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 17:43:
The guild dying is a big thing to get past. It is a very social game and I played it mostly with the same people for the last 3 years. Playing again and having to build up a new group is something I don't think I could muster the effort for. Plus, none of my RL friends are playing it any longer.

I look forward to finding out what Titan is. I feel Blizzard is on a bit of a tumble currently with SC2 and D3. So, I'll be cautious whatever Titan is, but I want it to be great.

Titan might be decent, as they've concentrated their A-list talent into it. SC2 and D3 are both B-list teams making A-list games.

News Comments > LucasArts Closed
16. Re: LucasArts Closed Apr 3, 2013, 15:15 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 15:11:
And nothing of value was lost.

You guys clamor for those IPs, and they're still there. So you can keep right on ahead with that. In fact, as someone already mentioned, this could open up doors like, a new Double Fine-developed Monkey Island, etc.

It's the end of an era. I remember playing Blazeball on my commodore 64, made by Lucasarts.

Yeah, today LA doesn't mean much (the last really good game they came out with was Republic Commando), but for like 25 years it meant something.

News Comments > Thief 4 Trailer
2. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 1, 2013, 20:34 Flatline

Yeah. WTF? You've ditched just about everything else about Thief.

Plus, another completely pre-rendered CG trailer. Yawn.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 29, 2013, 21:58 Flatline

Congress would love to, but deconstructing the DMCA to see what parts are broken and possibly what could be done to fix them turns out to be a violation of the DMCA.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record
7. Re: Tomb Raider Sets Sales Record Mar 29, 2013, 21:57 Flatline

ASeven wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 20:56:
3.4 million and it didn't meet sales targets. This industry cannot survive with these numbers anymore.

I'd say that's a problem with Square-Enix more than with the industry. SE is hemorrhaging money and can't keep it up. They probably predicted 5 million units pushed in the first week. Maybe more. Which is absurdly unrealistic.

News Comments > SimCity 2.0 Plans
29. Re: SimCity 2.0 Plans Mar 29, 2013, 19:17 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 01:20:
Thats probably why they restricted the city size so much, so that their underlying foundational simulation issues wouldn't show up as bad. Plus even with everything like that, only 10% of the city is actually "simulated" lol.

And, then after they shipped it and patched it up, in 6 months or so of making money, they can release a bigger city DLC once they fix enough bugs that a bigger size works passably.

I could see something like that happening. Dunno if its planned in that way, or just plain incompetent, but I could see it.

I actually wonder if the starving of cities for labor or whatever is partially to do with the numbers fudging. You know, like they do something stupid like calculate how many jobs are needed in the city based on the fudged population number and not the actual agent number. So you have 200,000 (fudged) population, and the sim engine goes "okay, we need 180,000 workers to fill all the jobs", even though there's only 20,000 agents in the city. It allocates as many agents as it can and starts screaming that you need more workers.

It sounds like the kind of stupid fucking thing that would be done on a game that's this badly handled.

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
86. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 17:29 Flatline

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:27:
Flatline wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:12:
And really, assuming that there are a million unique logins a day, and they sold 12 million units, we're probably talking about around a 10-15% player redemption. That's not a lot really.

Ya I have no idea what Blizzard expected, gamers expected, etc. I will say if someone told me 10% of a game's population are playing it regularly a year after it came out, I'd think that was pretty successful, especially when that 10% is a million users. But I have no idea really on something like this.

Call of Duty: Elite has around 10 million users for a relative benchmark.

82. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 17:12 Flatline

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 17:04:
Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 16:09:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 15:38:
I think that shows very clearly what is shouted about on game forums doesn't translate into reality at all.
I don't think thats what it shows. I think it shows that they could have done far far more sales if they had a little more sense about how they made the game.

More than 12 million sold?

All I was saying is that, while the game seems despised on gaming forums, there are plenty of gamers out there playing it, so I'm assuming they find it fun.

We don't really have the data needed to see if D3 was successful the way D2 was successful. We need to look at player retention 3-4 years from now (or ideally, 3-4 years after the inevitable expansion pack, which at the rate Blizzard is going at, should see the light of day around 2017).

And really, assuming that there are a million unique logins a day, and they sold 12 million units, we're probably talking about around a 10-15% player redemption. That's not a lot really.

80. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 16:58 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 16:09:
I don't think thats what it shows. I think it shows that they could have done far far more sales if they had a little more sense about how they made the game.

Considering that they take 15% of RMAH proceeds and then another 15% when you withdraw your money, I suspect that without the RMAH, Diablo 3 would have been less profitable even with the increased sales.

I mean, how much money per game unit are they making a profit on anyway? Shall we say 20 bucks a unit and make it an absurdly high number? At that rate, for every 100 bucks that they make in the RMAH, they would have to sell 5 copies of D3 to compensate.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the RMAH made more profit for Blizzard than the actual game did.

64. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 14:14 Flatline

NKD wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:30:
InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 11:15:

Iteration? Iteration motherfucker? So explain to me how the fuck you iterated from DiabloII to this goddamn mess....

Do you really need an explanation? 12 years in development never makes a good game. It doesn't give you time to perfect an idea, it gives you time to completely forget the reason you started.

You're forgetting that they were halfway towards Diablo 3 years ago, and then they shit-canned the game and the studio and found fucking fanboys to make the next game.

The problem with putting fanboys in charge of something is that they're going to like certain things and have a highly... polarized view of the game they're working on. Hence "fuck that loser", even though "that loser" was responsible for Jay Wilson's job. Hence all the arrogance, the smugness, and the really, really weird design decisions. This wasn't someone going through and saying "what made Diablo 2 a Great Game? How can we build on that?" It was "OMFG I REMEMBER DOING THIS AND THAT IN DIABLO 2 AND WE HAVE TO DO IT THIS WAY NOW BECAUSE I'M IN CHARGE!"

And sadly, you're going to see more of that in the industry as the truly innovative designers age. Diablo 3 is the games version of fanfic.

62. Re: Jay Wilson: Auctions Houses Mar 29, 2013, 14:08 Flatline

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 13:24:
I just hope that Blizzard actually ate some humble pie over this.

When Jay made the "Fuck that loser" comment, in regards to the man who designed Diablo, the thing that struck me was all the people who cheered him on and backed him up on facebook all worked at Blizzard. One of them even bragging that Brevik (the loser of with whom to fuck) never sold that many copies of one of his games.

This is a group of people that started their careers at Blizzard on third base, and thought they hit a triple.

No one bought Diablo 3 because of those people, they bought it because of the reputation the first two games had. When you take a close non-troll look at Diablo 3 it is an utter shell of the former games. The one thing they got right was the "feel" of the game. Combat can be fun. The problems quickly pile up beyond that.

The "randomization" in the levels is simply a joke. Haveing 2-4 ways for a map to slightly change isn't random. Being able to re-specialize your character at every whim takes any real sense of choice or individuality out of the game. Not only the item drops, but the items themselves just suck. They essentially copied the WoW item formula, and ignored everything that made items interesting in Diablo 2. The auction house was just the shitty icing on the shitty cake. They can express regret about it now, but they tuned the item drops to make the ah the only viable choice to get any upgrades at a certain point.

What happened to the game they showed in all of those early demonstrations? It actually looked fun.

If they do put out a paid expansion for this game, I will not be buying it. Nearly a year in and there isn't even the PVP game they hyped. Battle.net 2.0 is a 100% step back compared to the old system they used to run on dial-up modems FFS.

Yeah pretty much all this.

I don't buy that the AH behavior was unexpected at all, unless Blizzard suddenly took to drinking large amounts of Laudanum throughout the day. The *entire* game was designed to funnel towards the AH.

Sad thing is, I uninstalled Path of Exile. It seemed fun and then I... just lost interest. Other things came out worth playing, and my time is at a premium. I guess the Diablo-style games just aren't doable any more for me. I don't have that kind of time to waste farming shit.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
100. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 28, 2013, 23:56 Flatline

nin wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 23:37:
So how long did it take you to finish? I tend to poke a bit and explore, but hope to really get rolling this weekend.

Really does seem like a fantastic game, and it's made me nostalgic to see Rapture again...they both really do seem like these amazing worlds.

I tried *really* hard to be exhaustive, and I think I came in around 12 hours on medium. I wasn't exhaustive though. I missed 15 or so voice records, a half dozen film station/binoculars, and a couple of secret rooms, and didn't die much. So if you get them all, probably figure close to 15 hours, especially on Hard.

I'll replay on 1999 mode too.

Part of the problem was that right around when Elizabeth has her costume change in the plot (no spoilers) I kind of threw up my hands and went with it like it was a roller coaster. I wasn't nearly as exhaustive as I was in the second half of the game.

And they absolutely fixed the "best part of the game was 2/3 through" that Bioshock had with confronting Ryan. The best parts of the story get saved for right up to the ending, and I appreciate it a LOT.

However, I have a lot of questions about the story. Not bad questions, but more along the lines of "what does this implicate?" questions.

But yeah, explore, look at the artwork, the engravings, the windows, there's a lot of storytelling going on. Go through the carnival in the beginning, let Elizabeth explore the beach. It doesn't seem like much but it lets the world really help come to life.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
98. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 28, 2013, 23:30 Flatline

HOLY FUCK I JUST FINISHED THE GAME.

No spoilers, but I was shouting at the screen at one point.

I only wish... no I won't say anything. But people who have finished the game probably share the same wish that I did.

Most of the time game endings are letdowns, or anti-climactic. Yeah, the ending was a prolonged cutscene, but it worked really, really, really well. Probably the most satisfying ending in a game that I can remember, and that's saying something considering that I thought Spec Ops had a strong ending.

Between the original BioShock and BS:Infinite, I almost have to give the nod to BS:Infinite. Yeah it's rehashed the combat, but if you play to the end there's sort of real reasons why BS:Infinite feels a little derivative. While I dug Rapture... I wasn't left with questions and contemplation like I was with Infinite.

Edit: Ken Levine is probably my favorite game developer of all time. The worlds he builds are enduring, interesting, and fantastic.

News Comments > SimCity 2.0 Plans
7. Re: SimCity 2.0 Plans Mar 28, 2013, 23:23 Flatline

I'm still trying to figure out how you ship with all these issues still in the code. I can *sort* of understand getting bushwhacked on the servers. Well okay not really but that in theory is something you're predicting and is beyond your immediate influence.

But these are fundamental, underlying bugs that are showing up on everyone's game. The idea that they didn't know about these is... odd.

I can only really suspect that this was a "ship now, patch later" game.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 28, 2013, 16:48 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 12:13:
I wish they'd stop calling it a fucking sport. It's not a sport, guys. It's a fucking GAME.

Creston

Amen.

Then again I'm not a huge sports fan to begin with.

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo