Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2117 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
70. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2013, 22:46 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:56:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:44:
Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 14:23:
Yeah, it's the theme of the site, and it's what people are objecting to - how over the top it is.

It's funny how those people never complain when Gabe murders Tycho in a brutal fashion, or someone is fed into a wood chipper, or radioactive scorpions bite one of them in the dick, or dogs tear them to pieces or... etc

But a fictional character mentions fictional rape by a fictional dickwolf and "OMG YOU GUYS CONDONE RAPE."

/sigh.

Well, I don't think anyone other than Cutter is saying PA condones it, but I'd also wager there are more people walking around out there that have the lingering memories of being raped than there are that have the lingering memories of being brutally murdered by being fed into a woodchipper.

It gets back to the "triggering" argument that you seem to be misunderstanding.

When this original story broke one of the loudest women screaming teh "triggering" argument was a female developer who made hyper violent FPS war games. I will refrain from naming names for obvious reasons.

I politely pointed out that her own career was based on creating games that trigger PTSD in war veterans and she didn't seem to have a problem with that. I mean, PTSD is PTSD and triggering is triggering.

I forgot if it was her or her fans who called me a rapist waiting to happen (ie: I'd be a rapist if I thought I could get away with it).

I checked out of the argument mentally at that point.

Rape culture shit does exist, triggered PTSD does exist, the unnecessary slut-shaming and objectification of women do exist. Look at our fucking politicians who talk about "legitimate rape", transvaginal ultrasounds to shame women and shit that's trying to be *enforced by law*. That's the vile shit. This Penny Arcade thing? Tasteless (funny though I laughed at the MMO commentary) but ultimately bullshit amplified through two echo chambers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be "Complicated" (By Activision?)
45. Re: Blizzard: Killing Diablo III Auction House Would be Sep 6, 2013, 22:36 Flatline

Malachii wrote on Sep 6, 2013, 11:46:
What % of PC players are offline when they want to play a title like D3? REALLY?

I know the answer is not readily obtainable, but I have to guess that it's an absurdly low number. Except for travelers or umm, I dunno, campers? How often is your gaming PC not online? Internet goes out for a night because roadrunner/cox/whatever sucks and we would all get the dry mouths and shakes, but I assume playing D3 would be low on the list?

The ONLY time in the last year that I was denied playing D3 was because of Tuesday maintenance windows, and nothing else.
Personal situations and experience plays a large part in my opinion on this (ODRM)so your opinion and others may vary. Now THAT'S not hard to understand.

I realize from past experience that defending this title on Blues is like painting a bulls-eye on myself but man, some gamers (these ARE video games, not life/death) get so hostile and bent out of shape. Relax....go move some pixels around. :-)

God you're an idiot.

Go google "Diablo 3 lag kills" and look at the 400,000 results that document all the times lag spikes killed off characters, some of which are hardcore characters and can never come back.

Those characters died because of a useless fucking "feature" that's only there to tie you into the RMAH.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 4, 2013, 13:12 Flatline

Not surprising. I'm studying DNS namespace right now and it's pretty rigid and logical. They're talking about making the top level domain implicit. So the actual website would be search.search but the ".search" would be implicit.

That complicates DNS hierarchy for the sake of typing four characters. I doubt actually that was the real reason why Google wanted dotless domains.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released Sep 4, 2013, 01:45 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Sep 4, 2013, 00:47:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 22:36:
Please keep buying shit for Borderlands, as our plans for Aliens CM have failed horribly!
Or you could keep buying BL2 expansions because it's a good game...

Tiny Tina's Raid on Dragon Keep was pretty fucking awesome and hilarious.

Except that they keep doing this really, really weird thing with Tina where everything about her is like terrible tragedy.

I don't get it. It's like the miscarriage cartoon from Control-Alt-Delete. Total tonal shift and I guess you're supposed to feel bad for thinking Tina is funny?

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Sep 2, 2013, 18:51 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 16:53:
Wow. 101 in "How Not To Run Your Competitive Multiplayer Game."

Holy crap. I can't even begin to think what they could have done to piss players off more, other than maybe a feature where meteor strikes damage your mech randomly, and you have to pay $20 to fix it.

Good job killing your game, fellas.

The developer has stated it’s no longer concerned with pleasing existing fans — many of whom have dumped hundreds of dollars into Mechwarrior Online based on the promises PGI made them — and that its goal is to instead seek out new players.

Niiiiiiice.

Damn. Yeah for a while there in open beta it was kind of fun. I got my money's worth out of it. But they introduced a bug where anyone with an nvidia card went straight to a black screen and nothing else and couldn't play. Even though they said the fix was simple we were going to have to wait for a full patch cycle. They had no intention of helping 50% of their play base actually play the game. That's when I saw the writing on the wall and left.

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
35. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 2, 2013, 03:47 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Sep 2, 2013, 00:07:
While you guys keep piling on that undeserved negativity, I'm busy walking around the cool hangar in the recent hangar module they released to the public.

Ah yes the 3 gig single room model viewer (you only get to see your own purchased ship) with missing textures and a thick layer of Vaseline smeared over the camera lens.

If the hanger module is any indication the whole game should only take up 3 or 4TB of space.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
66. Re: Solved Sep 2, 2013, 00:43 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 16:20:
Flatline wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 12:24:
I'm amazed at the amount of people who are totally cool with the idea of buying shit at a high premium without ever actually *seeing* the game and relying on the hype that it'll be awesome.
Yeah, it IS strange to start up a store for a game that's more than a year from being released. Maybe it's just another way that enthusiastic supporters can throw money at the game in development? One thing I've noticed with crowd funded games is that the devs are extremely motivated to give backers what they want. That and the constant feedback helps shape the game. Crowdfunding is still a very nascent process, and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out 10 years from now.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable.
I dunno, Elder Scrolls Online has them beat IMO: Full price game, monthly fee, microtransactions, and who knows what else they'll come up with. It uses both the full price MMO pay structure and the free to play MMO pay structure. Given that Bethesda fans are used to paying one fee for the whole game (a la Guild Wars) I'm not sure why they think that players will put up with being nickeled and dollared.

I meant charging money for items that won't be seen in-game in a final version for upwards of a year or more.

This is a new revenue model and I'm not sure it's a good thing. I really don't want to have to nickel and dime something from Ubisoft to see it developed but I can see that model being tried- where probably 50-80% of a game's sales happen *before* it ships, and the more you spend the better the game gets.

27. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 19:49 Flatline

beaves wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 13:43:
Is this the definition of 'feature creep' ?

If only we had more money then we could add _________.

Nah, the project's not fully funded yet. All this shit is in the original design document I bet as intended. Some of the stuff like the Jane's manual is optional I'm sure, but core gameplay has been laid out already I'm sure.

26. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 19:48 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:58:
El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:44:
We still have a ways to go before we have achieved the goal of being completely community funded

How much do they need? $50,000,000? Does anybody know?

Chris Roberts said US$ 20 million and then it's considered as entirely crowdfunded, making it the first fully crwodfunded AAA game in history.
Originally he wanted to raise as much as possible on Kickstarter (the original KS funding goal was a modest $500K) and their own site and the rest was supposed to come from investors (or Chris Roberts' private treasure stash or both...).
At US$ 20 million and above there will be no need for any outside investors so that CIG/CR (and the community at large) will be in full control of the project.

Except that Chris Roberts already secured the private investment money way back when before the KS if memory serves.

And even with my negativity aside, this game seems to be edging closer and closer towards EVE online, which was pretty much the worst MMO I ever played (I refuse to take on a second job aka join a corporation). It was boring in the n00b areas, and I stuck my toe one inch outside the n00b areas and the griefers were lining up to blow me out of the water.

58. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 12:24 Flatline

Comet wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:14:
Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I don´t know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen won´t be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isn´t pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who are totally cool with the idea of buying shit at a high premium without ever actually *seeing* the game and relying on the hype that it'll be awesome.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable. If EA opened up DLC sales 18 months before their next Call of Duty game there'd be rioting on these boards and it'd be 60 pages claiming EA is the devil.

I also haven't forgotten private servers. I'm expecting them to be nerfed and/or dropped completely or have such steep server requirements that it's effectively a non-item in order to support the monetization of the game.

Hey, I already sunk money into this and if the game is as awesome as the hype I'll publicly eat crow here.

48. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 03:20 Flatline

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 00:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 15:12:
Whether it's paying to win or not is irrelevant; since when does anybody launch their cash shop before the game even exists? I really hope the sad, strange little cult of followers here are beginning to realize how blatantly they're being exploited...

I haven't pledged any money to this project, but I have to disagree that this is obvious (or even subtle) exploitation. This isn't some charismatic guy pumping out press releases with empty statements about "how awesome my idea is going to be, so give me money." From what I've seen released so far, there's some real talent behind this project.

That said, the final product may end up falling short of many people's expectations. That's the inherent risk in "investing" in a project this early on. Even then I wouldn't necessarily call this exploitation.

Bit of a double standard you're flying aren't you? (edited because I was too antagonistic in what I said)

I *have* put money into it and my complaints are valid that I feel like I am a second-class supporter because I "only" supported at the kickstarter.

This whole "we're doing this so that people who want to support the game can" is bullshit. I already showed my support for the game. I backed it remember assholes?

47. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 03:19 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 02:40:
I'm actually more interested in the private version of their open universe/privateer server, than I am in the SP portion of the game. No idea how well that idea's gonna hold up, but I guess we'll see.

10 bucks says the private server is going to be one of the first things to go. After all, the way they're squeezing us for money, it seems silly if we can get all those things for free on our own server.

30. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 22:41 Flatline

I'm so happy that they're thankful and loyal to the kickstarter people who backed this and....

heh... I can't even pretend anymore. KS doesn't matter. As for the 2000 credits not being enough to buy anything, this is the primary issue I have with this entire project. People are plunking down obscene amounts of money to buy stuff in-game that really doesn't have any reference.

It's gotten kind of insulting really.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 30, 2013, 01:46 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 21:44:
That was a much needed improvement because I couldn't hear the non stop cursing on Live crystal clear.

Done in one.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
10. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 12:58 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 12:42:
Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 12:36:
News Flash! People like having fun in sandbox games instead of hauling around virtual friends to virtual social activities and sitting around waiting for them to be virtually satisfied every 20 minutes of gameplay.

"NIIIICO IZZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEEEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!"

Rockstar announced earlier today that they intend to counter Saints Row 4 with a new, as-yet-unannounced combination of features including a realistic blackhead squeezing minigame and procedural generation techniques that allows your virtual girlfriend in GTA 5 to criticize everything about you down to your activities in the game, in real time, over a cell phone connection that accesses your actual phone via bluetooth to call you at the most inopportune times of the game to complain that you don't pay her enough attention and how you're sexually inadequate in the bedroom minigame.

"This is unprecedented levels of fun" announced Rockstar. "We've on average tripled the amount of crying and emasculation during a session of the game, without having to result to peripherals like electric shock trodes attached to sensitive areas of the body!"

They're two very different experiences and I like them equally. I absolutely loved GTA4. While SR4 is doing great, people prefer the GTA style. Contrary to what you're saying.

I know, but GTA has been marching steadfastly away from the "psychotic fun" sandbox genre for a while now. I mean, while it's cool that they put in television that you could watch (which managed to be kind of amusing at times even) the idea that you're playing a video game replicating the most mind-numbing of mundane existence and then they expect you to maintain a make-believe social circle... well... those were the low points of the game for me that bordered on tedium. Yeah I know I can ignore it, but the game obviously wants you to stop playing it every 20 minutes and go do something inane.

That's not to say I won't play GTA 5 at some point, because I totally will, but I really don't want to simulate the parts of real life I play video games to escape from to begin with.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
8. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 12:36 Flatline

News Flash! People like having fun in sandbox games instead of hauling around virtual friends to virtual social activities and sitting around waiting for them to be virtually satisfied every 20 minutes of gameplay.

"NIIIICO IZZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEEEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!"

Rockstar announced earlier today that they intend to counter Saints Row 4 with a new, as-yet-unannounced combination of features including a realistic blackhead squeezing minigame and procedural generation techniques that allows your virtual girlfriend in GTA 5 to criticize everything about you down to your activities in the game, in real time, over a cell phone connection that accesses your actual phone via bluetooth to call you at the most inopportune times of the game to complain that you don't pay her enough attention and how you're sexually inadequate in the bedroom minigame.

"This is unprecedented levels of fun" announced Rockstar. "We've on average tripled the amount of crying and emasculation during a session of the game, without having to result to peripherals like electric shock trodes attached to sensitive areas of the body!"

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
44. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:10 Flatline

I hate Final Fantasy Online.

My friend is addicted to it. His ingame play time for FF11 was, last I checked, 2 years spent in game. As in 18,000 hours spent in the game. Which works out to around 6 years playing 8 hours a day. He'd wake up, go to work, come home, play until his guild (in Australia) logged on at like 11pm, play until 3am, and pass out for 4 hours, then get up and do it again. Nobody talked to him for 3 or 4 years because he was too busy doing FF11.

Now 14 comes out and he's dropped off the map again. Sigh. I won't see him for another 5 years. The thing that I hate about the FF MMOs is that they are built around addictive gameplay habits. I remember in 11 if you wanted to raise Chocobos as best as you could you had to feed them like every 7 hours or something odd/off like that so your always logging on at different times. Not to mention the bosses that took 18+ hours for dozens of players to beat.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 22:39 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 21:15:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 20:31:
Windows Phones have gone nowhere under his watch. Android is filling the gaping hole that should have been Microsoft's foothold in the smartphone business. It is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology. Ballmer owns that.

I'd pick something else as the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology, but also by Microsoft: Internet Explorer. They had 96% of the browser market in 2002 (according to Wikipedia, with no citation). Even if that's exaggerated and it was was "only" around 90% they practically had the world wide web in the palm of their hands and they pissed it away.

Dude they're still getting sued in Europe for monopolistic behavior for packaging IE in with Windows. The US sued the shit out of them too, that's when the browser market fragmented remember?

Selective memory... christ...

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
44. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 22:35 Flatline

JediPunisher wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 17:17:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 15:57:
Shrug. I have not finished a GTA game since the 2d ones. For me at least, the 3d ones are mostly sandbox police murder games. I don't play the storylines.

Did you play GTA IV? It was far more than a “sandbox police murder game”… It was a Russian mafia sandbox police murder game with the best storyline in the series.
Nevertheless, San Andreas was still my favorite, due to its larger sandbox; That's why I'm excited for GTA V... It looks like San Andreas on steroids.

NIIIIICO IZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 17:18 Flatline

My X-Wing/TIE heartbreaker game would have a full single player campaign at least (the "other side" could easily be an expansion/DLC, I'd pay 20 bucks for that).

A level editor.

You'd have co-op missions designed specifically around co-op. Head to head missions naturally.

I'd also have an online "Galactic War" mode. If possible, max of 128 players per fight. It might require a subscription to play depending on how complex it was.

Remember the Bone Yards for Total Annihilation? Where you had the galactic war as their multiplayer? Yeah think that... on crack.

Each multiplayer session one player can either volunteer or is selected on each side to be the battle commander. Reputation is used as a deciding factor. You can also abstain, though that doesn't count if everyone on your team abstains.

Commanders have a 3d map similar to Homeworld, and they're the only ones that can communicate between flight wings. They set waypoints, target priorities, and coordinate backup and capital ships that may or may not be in the area. They have the ability to "escalate" the conflict and open up more player slots/resources, but if they do the other side will escalate automatically, and the battle is worth more.

Pilots gain experience not on their kill/loss ratio but by how well they execute orders. Following waypoints and sticking to your missions nets you XP, which can allow you to pilot experimental (read: EU) craft if they open up in the battle. You're rewarded minimally based on how good a pilot you are and largely by how well you work as part of the team.

At the end of each mission, the pilots on each team get a simple thumbs up/thumbs down vote on how good their commander was. This provides a ratio/score for each commander, allowing you to see before a mission how good your commander is, and in the event of a draft commander, is the score by which the player is chosen.

Each mission starts out with, say, 1000 points on each side. As missions are accomplished, those points are reallocated. As you take losses you lose points as well. If you ever choose to escalate, 1000 points are added immediately to the stakes, and new player slots are opened up. If players don't join, the stakes are still higher. So think carefully before you escalate.

At the end of the day, each system that is contested on the map totals the points of each mission. Whichever faction has a higher score takes the system. Some systems provide bonuses (extra missiles, advanced weaponry, and even a few that provide access to experimental craft), some are desirable because they open up hyperspace routes deep into enemy territory to contest, etc etc...

When players join the mission they're given the option of flight wings the Commander has drawn up (resources committed may give you a starting point total), and you join that wing. So on a bombing run there may be one element of x-wings for fighter support and 2 y-wing bomber wings. You can't always play the ship you want. Higher XP probably would give you the option to fly the ship of your choice if you join in pre-mission.

Guilds would be called Squadrons naturally enough, and their "guild hall" would be a squadron rec room that they could customize and decorate. Local leaderboards, squad insigna, and similar to the trophies from Alliance, memorabilia and trophies from your accumulated victories.

Recruiting squadrons may or may not be cheaper than recruiting random pilots. The point here is to organize.

There's more to the design I thought up, but that's the basic skeleton of it.

2117 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo