Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1864 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
12. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 13:14 Flatline

Techie714 © wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:18:
Cutter....Cutter....Calling Cutter..... *cricket *cricket

I'll just leave this here....hehehe
Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 18:44:
Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

Eh... Cutter's just going to say that because the mainstream media loves it that proves it's a piece of garbage. He lives in a win/win state of hatred and loathing that way.

Edit: Wow... That's a lot of perfect scores. Mostly european though. Interesting. I wonder how much the embargo and IGN's exception hurt the review scores though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar
11. Re: BioShock Infinite Reviews Soar Mar 25, 2013, 12:58 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 12:31:
If Bioshock is a '96%' then what would System Shock be? 110%? Don't get me wrong, Bioshock was a great game, but System Shock was a good deal better. Shodan was so much better of a villain, and the RPG aspects of System Shock were superior to that of Bioshock.

I'm replaying SS2 right now. Enemies that respawn in your field of view, dated graphics engine even at it's release date (mods help this A LOT), a clunky interface, weapons that are unrealistically fragile like toilet paper (A conscious design decision granted), a *terrible* ending after one of the most awesome final levels of all time (and if you're not a hacker, I hope you saved 3 ICE picks, or the game is impossible to finish)...

SS2 is one of my favorite games of all-time, but technically it was a mess. The gameplay isn't particularly smooth or constant, level design was pretty utilitarian, intentionally, and the Body of the Many was a total stumble, even when the game came out. It's got some wrinkles and warts on it.

Compared to Bioshock, it's does less of what it wants to achieve than Bioshock did, although they oddly enough suffered from bad pacing and story for the last 1/4 of the game. Go figure. I don't suggest System Shock 2 universally- I know there's people that absolutely will not like it. Bioshock is a far easier suggestion however for most gamers.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details
16. Re: Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details Mar 25, 2013, 02:25 Flatline

morrow wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 20:29:
Flatline wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 19:04:
Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they were very up-front with specifically what the season pass would encompass, and the only thing that's not part of it thus far is the new character.

So I'm less inclined to bitch.
Gaige (Mechromancer) wasn't part of the season pass either. Nor was the Creature Slaughterdome DLC

True, but one was pre-order DLC and one was free if you bought the game new. So if you pre-ordered from gamestop or wherever, in theory, you got those for free. So you could obtain those for free as well.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details
7. Re: Borderlands 2 New Content & Level Cap Details Mar 24, 2013, 19:04 Flatline

Sempai wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 18:59:
Hi all!

My name is Randy "dickbag" Pitchford! I'll sell you a Season Pass that includes only a portion of the actual DLC we're going to nickel and dime your asses for! Yeehaw!

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but they were very up-front with specifically what the season pass would encompass, and the only thing that's not part of it thus far is the new character.

So I'm less inclined to bitch.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
36. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 22:42 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 18:19:
Yeah, I'd like to know how everyone gets paid. Is it a pool with base salary then points on additional sales? Who's getting paid what? I'm starting to get really of leery of backing well known designers who are already rich(ish).

So your 25 bucks entitles you to a complete financial breakdown of a company, plus a copy of the game?

Jesus next you're going to want to have developmental control over the project for your "investment".

If employees were getting scammed, I imagine we'd hear about it as projects finished or people quit.

And we're *still* talking about peanuts when it comes to funding game development. If someone raised 20 million and put out a game looking like Wasteland 2, yeah I'd cry shenanigans, but we're talking about a dozen or more people working for 18 months on 2-4 million bucks. There's not a lot of room for embezzlement and still turning out a decent looking product, which is what you're basically insinuating.

But I forgot, that's common sense. It's far more entertaining to imagine a 20 hour game being created on 250 grand and the rest being kept by a moustache-twirling villain.

News Comments > SimCity Patch
2. Re: SimCity Patch Mar 22, 2013, 22:35 Flatline

Still no cheetah speed though.

Which is awesome since it turns out that the game 99% runs on the client side.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
29. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 15:15 Flatline

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:05:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:21:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:33:
Somehow, I seriously doubt that they will be using the funds from this game fully. When they sit here and defend that they we will be using the funds just for the game. That raises a red flag to me. And 700K to add Chris, I dont see it.

Are you high? There are several stretch goal in between the current funding level and the Chris Avellone stretch goal so they aren't spending even remotely near 700k on hiring Chris Avellone + a lot of the money is being spent on other things like art, animation, code, etc to go with his writing/design work.

So even the 150k between the prior stretch goal and the Chris Avellone stretch goal isn't Chris's fee. 150k USD more in pledges implies more Amazon and kickstarter fees and more used on rewards. So the budget of the game won't be increased by that full amount.

Excuse me for not believing you, but you sound like an advocate supporter or work for them. My feelings on Kick starters are there are no checks and balances on how they are using the money.

Just because someone puts up a KS page and says I need 1 Million to make this happen, does not mean that they are using all of that money to fund the project. Itís idiotic to even assume that they are using all of the money as they say they are.

Are you sure you are not one of their stretch goals?

So don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Of course, when the game is released, if it's good, you'll buy it anyway and forget all your bitching. Because gamers are generally hypocrites like that.

News Comments > OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch!
15. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:13 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:43:
I feel bad for all the investors who got conned into thinking that this would be some kind of gaming revolution....on second thought....nah I dont. Fuck those losers.

Where's that vocal asshole who went into great technical detail about how we were all wrong about OnLive, that it was the greatest thing evar, and that we'd never notice the lag because there's already lag between the controller and the console (forgetting that lag is, generally, additive, and not subtractive.)?

I'd really like to see his postmortem.

Also, OnLive *might* have succeeded in South Korea, where they're aiming to have gigabit to everybody's home in the next 10 years, but here in 'Murrica, where 512k DSL is still considered "blazing fast broadband!", it was a disaster waiting to happen.

News Comments > Saints Row 4 CE Survey
12. Re: Saints Row 4 CE Survey Mar 21, 2013, 03:56 Flatline

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 02:13:
The game WAS going to be an expansion, NOT DLC, an expansion. Then they decided to put the EXTRA effort in to make it a FULL sequel. We will soon see, but lets not be a bunch of whiny bitches about it, hey Cutter?

Cutter would be pretty quiet on the boards if he cut out *all* his negativity.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC
9. Re: Assassin's Creed III The Betrayal DLC Mar 20, 2013, 17:22 Flatline

Brumbek wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 21:29:
I just really dislike them portraying Washington this way. It is basically slander. I'm ok with alternate history games like saying the Nazis took over the world because the Nazis were trying for this very thing. Or even Lincoln Vampire Hunter because it is a total joke concept.

But to take a real historical figure and misrepresent him so utterly...Washington refused to be King in real life. It just strikes me as crossing a line. You'd get sued if you represented a living figure in this manner...I guess I just don't like people misrepresenting history in such a serious manner.

Lighten up Francis!

News Comments > Game Reviews
16. Re: Game Reviews Mar 20, 2013, 14:17 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:37:
The game argument is coming from a screenwriter.

Yeah, those guys who have to turn out products that 95% of the time fall within 75-120 minutes in length.

Here's the thing. If you're going to charge me 60 bucks for 4 hours of gameplay time, that story/experience better be among one of the most moving experiences ever in my life. It better shine above other games and movies and books because you're asking an awful fucking lot of my money.

It's a simple rule of thumb for me: I should get more hours of entertainment out of a game than it took me to earn the money. And when I say entertainment, I don't mean *just* playing. If I discuss the game for an hour with friends because it was mind-bending, then yeah, that's entertainment.

Bastion was a fantastic game. Short enough not to wear out it's welcome, well made, and it was what, 4 hours? But I only spent 10-15 bucks on it. It stuck with me for a long, long time after I played it, and I wonder if I had paid 60 bucks for it if it would have.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Feds and warrants Mar 19, 2013, 18:42 Flatline

Axis wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 13:04:
Bodolza wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:23:
ACLU vs. Obama administration. I can hear the sound of conservative heads exploding as they try to figure out which side to root for.

Its just a shame Obama and his cronies have their base so convinced that Government, and not the people, is the solution. And the more power citizens give these political creeps, republicans OR democrats, we lose.

*shrugs* Obama is a corporatist. Substantially there's not a huge amount of daylight between him and the GOP. He's continued on most of W's surveillance and wiretapping and information gathering from the post 9/11 hysteria period where all someone had to say was "TERRORISTS!" and we'd fork over our rights wholesale.

Every presidential administration has pushed for more unilateral, unsupervised authority, clear back to Lincoln with suspension of Habeas Corpus and probably even earlier if we're going to be frank about it. It's up to a robust, healthy legislature and judicial system to push back and balance against the unilateralism. For 10 years we were all on the "TERRORISTS!" fear wagon, and now the legislature is so fundamentally broken that it can't push back because it's totally paralyzed. The result being that the Executive branch almost *has* to act unilaterally, which is a terrible, terrible thing.

The legislative branch needs to get it's head out of it's ass and ironically not stonewall *everything* the president does. When he acts within his power limitations they should negotiate and compromise like they've always done, so that stonewalling actually *means* something when it happens.

There's a reason why Congress and the Senate are less popular than cancer.

News Comments > SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded?
28. Re: SimCity 20 Minute Online Timeout Hard-Coded? Mar 18, 2013, 17:29 Flatline

Dev wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:34:
yonder wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:28:
It's gotten to the point where EA is pretty much the AOL of the gaming world. I was reading PC World's "Worst Tech Products Of All Time" list and AOL was #1.

"How do we loathe AOL? Let us count the ways. Since America Online emerged from the belly of a BBS called Quantum "PC-Link" in 1989, users have suffered through awful software, inaccessible dial-up numbers, rapacious marketing, in-your-face advertising, questionable billing practices, inexcusably poor customer service, and enough spam to last a lifetime. And all the while, AOL remained more expensive than its major competitors."

That list is pretty much completely accurate when applied to EA's gaming. *sigh*
The main difference between the two is that AOL spent millions sending out millions of free CDs floppy disks.

FTFY. At one point probably 80% of my floppy disks were AOL floppy disks. Whenever I would need more disks I'd just call them up and ask for their setup disks. It was kind of awesome actually.

News Comments > Victory Kickstarter Cancelled
13. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:31 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 15:59:
Oof, yeah, like 4% to your goal half-way through the campaign...

It's easy to see why. Spend money to kickstart a project whose business model is basically microtransactions after you start the game.

Pay money way up front so I can keep on paying money to play your game is a shitty business model.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: Morning Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 14:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:40:
Well, SRR has already let down a ton of people with the silly, cartoon styled NPCs. Bad decisions like that do nothing to bolster confidence in the overall finished product. I suspect in the next 2-3 years as things roll out and people aren't happy with them that KS is going to slow down dramatically and it'll be quite a bit harder to achieve funding.

People who bitch about the cartoon styled NPCs need to look at SR 1 & 2's artwork. It's spot on to a significant amount of SR artwork.

And perhaps they tried more "realistic" characters and they didn't work. They need to be instantly identifiable, and need to jump out of what can be a pretty busy background. Look at Team Fortress 2: Part of it's success was specifically the idea that characters register.

In fact, there's a great comparison for SRR: The x-box shadowrun game. Shrink all those characters down to 1-inch avatars and see if they get muddled and detail is lost. I suspect they'll look like shit.

Edit: Yeah, pull up image search at google, search "shadowrun xbox" and look at all the tiled pictures. The "realistic" characters look muddled and like shit when they're about the size of SRR's avatars.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed
10. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Multiplayer Confirmed Mar 13, 2013, 14:37 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:35:
Exactly, unless it's co-op I see it as a pointless waste of time and resources that could be better served on the SP portion of the game. I'd rather see a good, easy to use editor than MP.

Let's see... sandbox, supposedly highly detailed city pre-poupulated (or easily populated) with adversaries... Yeah how do you *not* do co-op?

Pick a building, activate it's security system, populate with bad guys, put a McGuffin in one of the rooms (a security terminal you have to hack, an asset you have to extract, an assassination target, whatever), and spawn your players randomly throughout the city. If they can talk to each other, they rendezvous somewhere, recon the joint, pick up the equipment they need from their fence, and proceed to do a run on the procedurally generated target.

I'd probably lose immense amounts of my life in such a system.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
36. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:40 Flatline

So how many days do you think it'll be before Blizzard patches the game for balance reasons to the point that they entirely undo the "balancing" that they've been doing for the last 2 years?

I never understood that with Starcraft. Yeah we'll sit on the f*cking game for 2+ years "polishing" it and "balancing" it, and in the first month we'll get more real-world feedback on balance than in our entire development cycle, rendering that 2 year wait pointless.

I wonder if it's just meant to build up hype, or if the devs really don't give a shit about shipping product in a timely manner.

News Comments > Endless Space Free DLC
17. Re: Endless Space Free DLC Mar 12, 2013, 04:00 Flatline

I found the AI to be annoying and potentially cheating. Last game I played I conquered like half the galaxy, had three opponents left, one declared war on me and I was forced to turn my entire empire towards creating fleets because the enemy went from like tier 2 ship fleets to top tier (4 I think?) in like 4 turns, and my defenses weren't enough.

And I created them like crazy. All the way up to top tier ships bristling with weaponry that should have outclassed the two enemies, who had maybe half the number of worlds I did, combined.

But over the course of a few hours it became clear that the game was rubber banding the AI fleets. Simply put, they were building at about 3 times the rate I was. I'd assemble massive fleets, and only get *maybe* one world into their empire, having defeated their gargantuan fleet, and then like 1 turn later an even larger fleet would be "built", and come clean the living bejeebus out of my remainder fleet and start their way towards conquering my empire. I'd then crush their fleet, but it was always a stalemate, and eventually I got bored and quit the game, uninstalled it, and never went back.

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot, there's a general firepower rating to compare fleets. My fleets would have firepower in the 7000 range or something like that and the enemy fleets would be sub-1000, but still manage to generate a billion ships and wear my fleets down by attrition every 2 turns or so.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
36. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 14:30 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 05:09:
Here's my problem. People can dig into ANY story and rip the shit out of it if they dig deep enough. Particularly video game stories, because the narrative is broken up by gameplay that is generally played differently by everyone.

Of the action shooters, FPS or TPS, which ones exactly have "great" stories that Max Payne 3 is supposed to hold up to? Stories of action games are there to provide one thing, set pieces for battle. If they succeed without being absolutely ridiculous without the gameplay sucking, it's a win.

Regarding your idea...seriously, that's your story suggestion? You want Max Payne to give up the one singular thing that keeps Max Payne who is, his conscious? His morality of right and wrong? To be a murderer? Working for the same types of scum that had his family killed? Being no better than the people that killed his family?

Don't bother criticising stories when you clearly have no idea what even makes the character a character.

Dude Max Payne has killed hundreds if not thousands of people. He's killed gangbangers, italian mafia, russian mafia, police officers, military officials, police detectives, CEOs, government politicians, private bodyguards, professional assassins, you name it he's killed it. How many of his victims were just average, decent people who were drawing a paycheck and had the misfortune not to call in sick that day?

My point is, how *can* he have a conscience at this point?

And I can easily see him falling into a grey area where he kills bad guys for other bad guys... shit that's all he actually did in MP2 and MP3. Kill one set of bad guys for another set of bad guys. Man of honor among a den of thieves kind of shit. It's noir enough. You can keep max thinking he's being semi-virtuous by having his own code of conduct but still making him a heel.

It's better than listening to him whine emo bullshit for 10 hours.

Edit: MP is trying to find absolution; at first it's rest from the torment of his family's death, then it's absolution from the fucking murder-machine he's become (He tries to find that absolution in Mona, who is a fucking assassin, which is already hinting that for the right price he'll accept being a plague on two legs). In MP3, he tries to find peace at the bottom of a whiskey bottle, before saying "fuck it that won't work" and finding peace in accepting that he kills more people than smallpox. It might work for a period of time, and MP4 is him trying to balance that feeling of peace with his conscience.

Remember- The ultimate responsibility for Max's family's death was the Aesir Corp chick with ties to the government- not some random crime element. The actual system itself is corrupt and that's what got Max's family murdered. So maybe Max goes all Yojimbo and starts pitting bad guy groups against each other in MP4, having to work back and forth between them. If we keep the first half of Max Payne 3 from Rockstar, which I'm fine with because it's a good set up, he's already basically ronin- he's left the NYPD behind. He still thinks he's walking a separate path, but by the end of the game he sees himself as more heel than good guy, and that sets him up for his redemption.

But you're right. Having a static character that never changes over a half dozen games is WAY more interesting than having a character arc.

Edit 2: And before you bitch about invoking Yojimbo and how that's not Noir, Kurosawa was open about adapting a Dashiell Hammett noir film called The Glass Key for plot in the movie.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 14:46.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted
27. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 11, 2013, 02:26 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 20:31:
Flatline, you seem to recall the story relatively well except for one major point of your complaining. He was beating himself up because he failed to protect those that he was hired to protect, just like he was incapable of protecting his family...DESPITE being a bad-ass (as we see him). He partially blames being drunk on the job for his failures, quits drinking...then with a clearer head starts to over-analyze his faults. He does not see himself as a bad-ass that can take on dozens of gunman, when the outcome is he fails to protect those he is supposed to and lives himself.

Yeah but it broke the themes of MP 1 & 2, and for the worse I thought.

Max wasn't a particularly sympathetic protagonist in this game, and while I'm fine with that, alienating him from the gamer by whining and being constantly emo isn't the way to do it in my book.

For a game that's supposed to be film noir, it missed a lot of the subtlety that makes noir compelling. It's you sat someone down and exposed them to film noir via homage skits, and then had them write an entire noir story down from their MTV 90 second bite comprehension.

If I was going to rewrite this, I'd probably keep Sao Paulo, that's fine, and make it a story that starts with Max trying to protect the family, failing pretty much, and going full dark/demon. Play a strong female lead off of that to derail him from his epic self destruction/murder spree, and make the bad guy fully aware of Max's "talents", intending to use them to clean up Sau Paulo's seedier areas and using Max as the battering ram to start the process so that he can gain more political power.

At that point I don't even care about the ending, there's multiple satisfying ways for the game to end, from Max dying to his getting derailed from his revenge to killing everyone and then going after the BBEG for putting the original family in harm's way... whatever...

Edit: I'd actually contemplate leaving Max a bad guy at the end of this. Call it Max Payne 3: The corruption of Max Payne, with the 4th game having max play it straight heel and rising quickly through the ranks of the criminality he has come to accept in his nihilistic point of view. The Max Payne 5: Breaking the Cycle deals with Max's redemption, either ending in his death or something else dramatically appropriate.

Then you call the entire series The Payne Cycle and do game magazine interviews for the next 20 years.

1864 Comments. 94 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo