Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2657 (Senior)
User ID 34131
User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Telltale Marvel Game Plans
5. Re: Telltale Marvel Game Plans Apr 24, 2015, 12:55 Flatline
Fion wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 12:12:
This is awesome news. Two years isn't that long and a lot of these Marvel IP's have big enough brand recognition that I don't think it really matters who hero(es) it features.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be awesome fun.

I agree. Telltale's format seems like it actually would work really well for the supers genre.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
27. Re: Mad Max Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 17:40 Flatline
Task wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 14:20:
This is made by the people that developed Just Cause. I've never played those, but people found them fun so I imagine this Mad Max game will have some of that kinda/sorta over the top carnage.

If it's like Just Cause it'll control more or less like shit but be stupid over the top fun.
News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 15:42 Flatline
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 14:07:
Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 10:12:
To be clear, I personally don't think that this proves that she's not in it for the money if she ignores it because such an aggressive editorial (it's barely an invitation) doesn't warrant a response. The only people who would benefit from her acknowledging this offer's existence is Breitbart.

This is a good point as well. Brietbart is a hyper right-wing tabloid rag and this is just a stunt by them. I don't consider myself part of GamerGate (though a lot of its concerns regarding twisting of facts to suit political narratives and lack of journalistic ethics in gaming are ones I've shared for the better part of 5 years now) but one of its biggest faults if looked at purely as a consumer revolt is its reliance on Milo Yianoppoulous as any kind of ally or source of reliable coverage. He used to frequently write articles shitting on gamers and gamer culture but suddenly had a "change of heart" when he had something he could bash what he perceived as left-wing extremists with. He's involved in this purely for his own gain, he doesn't care about any cause. Granted, the same can be said about a lot of press outlets on the other side too but two wrong don't make a right.

Oh god yeah I hate that Milo douchenozzle. He's so hyper-partisan that even when he's right and I agree with him I want to disagree with him because he talks shit about my political leanings. It's like... dude, when you're right you don't have to make it partisan. I know this must be a new experience for you but when reality is on your side just go with it.
News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 15:39 Flatline
HoSpanky wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 11:00:
So tired of all this bullshit. Literally anything anyone does, down to "walking outside to get my mail" is apparently going to offend someone, and then someone ELSE will be offended that the first person was offended.

I initially thought this whole "women need to be represented better in games" thing made sense. And to a degree, it still does. But I don't see any of them praising the games that are getting it right. The new Tomb Raider has a fantastic lead character, who isn't sexualized whatsoever, and I don't see it being paraded as "how to do it right".

They will never, ever be happy with the way women are portrayed in games. Never. Because as soon as they are, they've got nothing to complain about, and therefore no purpose. I'm tired of it, and I've stopped caring.

In theory that's what Sarkasian's new series is about. Which is a step in the right direction since it's positive instead of negative. People like catharsis and the story of imrpovement.

However, from what little I've seen, all her examples thus far have one thing in common. The reviews I've seen of them all seem to focus on the idea that the games were written particularly well. Not "here's a great female character" but moreso "here's good story" or "here's good dialog" or whatever. The games she trashes mostly seem to have the opposing themes: They're pretty poorly written. So really her argument comes down to "better writing in video games!"

I've also noticed, but haven't looked closely enough to see if it's an established pattern, that a lot of her critique comes from games developed outside the USA, where different cultural values are the norm, vs games in... well let's call it North America that get the thumbs up.

The game development industry is a highly multi-cultural... I won't say melting pot, but it's one of the few industries where different cultures headbutt into each other directly so freely. We play French, Japanese, Nordic, Russian, Slovakian games as readily as we play games made in the US and Canada. With indie development booming we see sub-cultures able to express their influence directly on a more mainstream crowd too, thus making an already complex environment even harder to follow. I don't see Sarkeesian making any acknowledgement of that or analyzing that at all, instead treating gaming as this monolithic ivory tower. It's unfortunate because it's an interesting approach to gaming.

But maybe that's a bit too high-brow for one of the 100 most influential people in the world?
News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Welcome Back Weekend Begins
7. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Welcome Back Weekend Begins Apr 17, 2015, 19:20 Flatline
I keep getting emails from Bethesda telling me that I can reactivate my account if I want.

No seriously consider reactivating it.

Here we're thanking you for activating your account (which we did on your behalf).

You haven't logged into your account why not? You only need the 80 gig installation file.

It's like a creepy stalker. Plus, I wouldn't be coming "back" to ESO. I got into one of the betas and found out that their router wouldn't accept traffic from my region. I could use TOR or a VPN out of my county and it'd work just fine but any traffic off of Time Warner in my county was filtered and I couldn't access the web page to sign in the pricks. Traceroute would always get out of Time Warner's network and die on Zenimax's end. So I'd email their help support and they'd wait 2 weeks and tell me "Try it now" when the beta was only 72 hours and I'd explain this to them and ask to escalate and get the supervisor who was inevitably a drooling idiot who told me to clear the cookies on my computer and I'd ask if that was the issue why a VPN tunnel worked just fine and he'd "escalate" to find out what the problem was and I'd never hear back. Then the next beta would come out and the cycle would start all over again. After 2 or 3 debacles like that I completely gave up. To this day I still don't know if I can access their game or not.
News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2015, 14:13 Flatline
Pigeon wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 14:00:
This was nothing more than a hastily put together cash grab by Apple and Pearson. Still the district deserves a lot of the blame, putting hundreds of millions into a curriculum program that hadn't been developed beyond a few demos, and then allowing them a year after deployment where they didn't have to offer the full curriculum Pearson promised.

I agree entirely. I suspect that they'll get some of the money back. Almost certainly the pearson licensing fees and maybe a token on the ipads.
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2015, 14:12 Flatline
They may have some luck because Pearson barely slouched through the contract and may be in breach. I mean, seriously, I work for an education centered company and 4 people over the course of nine months (edited up from six, I just asked) created a multi-year english course that could accommodate multiple original languages and developed adaptive testing techniques that works just fine on an iPad. It's our goal to test this on lab machines for about a year and then roll out iPads and/or android tablets as standard equipment in a year or two.

And since Pearson is a subcontractor for Apple in this event, it actually is an actionable issue for Apple.
News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
22. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 16:14 Flatline
Task wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 15:46:
Flatline wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 14:41:
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:00:
Grats CD Projekt. It looks awesome!

Yes. This is great news. Because it means they can focus on Cyberpunk now

Indeed, although not fully. CD Projekt said as soon as they finished the main game, they started work on the two big expansions for Witcher 3. I also read this that Witcher 3 isn't really the last Witcher game; not sure what to make of that. I for one wouldn't mind a pre-quel trilogy based on the books, since these games are merely an extension (expanded universe) that takes place after the very last book.

I doubt that the entire team will work on the expansions and they teased CP2077 for 2 years now so I would imagine it'd be the next game in their pipeline.

Witcher is great, but it's time they did something else. And they said that Witcher's sandbox approach was a warmup for CP2077.
16. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 14:41 Flatline
Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 13:00:
Grats CD Projekt. It looks awesome!

Yes. This is great news. Because it means they can focus on Cyberpunk now
6. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Apr 16, 2015, 11:56 Flatline
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 11:44:
Got this for free with my video card. Looking forward to play it next month

I bought it for stupid cheap on GOG like... a year ago apparently. I had completely forgotten about it until I went to download Freespace 2 and saw it sitting there.
News Comments > EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games
13. Re: EA Ending BF Heroes and Other F2P Games Apr 16, 2015, 11:53 Flatline
ViRGE wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 21:59:
I had completely forgotten that BF Heroes even existed...

I was interested in trying to play it, but if memory serves it spent an abnormally long time in invite-only beta and I completely lost interest in it by the time I could actually play it. They were pumping out PR like the game had launched when only like a thousand people could play. Burned the hype machine out totally.
News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2015, 16:14 Flatline
Orogogus wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 16:09:
I don't think the police have enough evidence for the DA to do anything. From the article, it seems the investigation was initiated and handled by the TSA, who let the victim walk away unidentified. That's a poor start, and finding said victim would be unreasonably difficult.

That's still kind of bullshit though. You have the video of the act occurring blatantly. Get the chick who was the accomplice to testify in order to not get prosecuted, which shouldn't be hard she already told a news station what happened, and that's enough to convict the dude.
News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release
13. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Press Release Apr 9, 2015, 19:47 Flatline
Anyone notice that at the end of the video Jensen stands in front of the light sculpture and it makes Icarus wings for him?

Thought that was cool artwork.
News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed
26. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed Apr 8, 2015, 14:36 Flatline
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 19:19:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 18:40:
I'll wait for the Extended/Director's Cut/Whatever The Fuck Else They Decide To Call It to go on sale for $15.

Same here though I might actually get that definitive version for full price depending on the reviews. Best possible experience and all that. I hate this chopping up of content piecemeal crap. Probably no Witcher 3 for me before 2017 for this reason but who cares. Game ain't goin' nowhere...

Chopped up content? The devs said they haven't started working on the expansion yet. The devs are also famous for giving away epic amounts of free stuff "just 'cuz", and there's nothing suggesting they won't do it again this time.

Christ you people are such fucking tightwads I bet I could shove a charcoal briquette up your ass and you'd cough up a diamond.
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 14:47 Flatline
Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 13:29:
iPad = Apples; Surface 3 = Oranges

I used my 3rd generation iPad for my software consulting for ~ 2 years, it's a nice device, low low tech support needed, it just runs. Of course has tons of apps to choose from.

I just got my new Surface 3 Pro a few days ago, iPad has been handed down to my 7 y/o, iPad can't hold a candle to the productivity that the Surface 3 Pro can accomplish. Yes, it has less apps to choose from than the iPad but I can run all Windows programs and even play Pillars of Eternity (via STEAM) on it during those long flights. I can even run a Hyper-V image or two on it. For a "Tablet" that's just a little bigger than an iPad I'm blown away with the device.

iPad is a good entertainment device with lite productivity capabilities. IMHO, the Surface 3 (Pro) gives you that and more. IMHO, it does indeed "Kill it" unless you can't live w/o Clash of Clans.

I finally stopped using the ipad 2. They keep pushing out software updates and like an idiot I took the jump to iOS 8. I should have stayed on 7.

Now my ipad is basically a brick. Chrome stopped working and crashes *constantly*. The iOS is slow and glitchy as hell. Even Safari crashes constantly, takes minutes to load basic pages, and all in all I can read ebooks on the device and play some games on it that still run just fine and that's really it.

Apple's enforced obsolescence finally drove me out of their ecosystem. I mean, my cell phone is 2 years old and has had 4 major android revisions pushed to it and it still runs as smooth, if not smoother, than the day I got it. It never crashes.

I'd love a Surface 3 pro but I can't justify it. I have multiple laptops, an ipad, multiple desktops... I know it'd be useful but not useful enough to drop the money on it that I'd have to drop to be happy. Maybe when the travel laptop dies I"ll pull the trigger on the surface. I used the pro 2 at a previous job and it was dead sexy.
News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 22:41 Flatline
Squirmer wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 19:35:
I don't think Cutter read the article.

Cutter spewing off without knowing what he's talking about?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 22:40 Flatline
4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 16:42:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 12:31:
And why would massive public or private enterprises need, much less want, to spend a fortune upgrading needlessly? If most people are just using Word and Excel why would you needlessly spend tens of millions of dollars on new hardware and software licenses? Obviously MS isn't giving them enough incentive to want to change.

You're absolutely correct. That being said, the home depot breach could be an incentive if embedded XP is part of these numbers. Scary the amount of cash registers and ATMs that use the first unsupported versions and skipped updates to the last version of embedded XP.

This is web traffic. If your ATM is being used to surf the web you've got bigger problems.
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 13:09 Flatline
That number is slightly disingenuous though. It doesn't specify if XP is legitimate or not. It just looks like a survey of operating systems based on web traffic so I doubt if it *can* differentiate. I imagine most of XP at this point is out of 3rd world countries and probably illicit software.

Also, Windows 8 is segregated into 8.0 and 8.1, which is silly. When you combine the two XP and 8 are basically on par with each other in market utilization. I can understand that: Metro is an abomination. The OS underneath it I actually prefer in most ways to 7. 2012 server is actually my favorite iteration of Windows Server in a long time, they do a lot right in it, but for some reason they decided to shoehorn in metro on top of that, which is beyond an abomination. Touch interfaces have no place in a server environment.

At this point, there's no reason for most enterprises to be on XP still, and due to the EOL on security, many reasons *not* to be on XP. Software development has ceased for XP generally, Office 2013 doesn't work very well on XP, and Office 2010 has distinct limits in an enterprise environment that make it painful to use. Not to mention that 64 bit XP is kind of a dump. XP was a 32 bit system through and through and we've passed beyond those limitations in anything but the most painfully basic computing requirements.

10 will probably get significant saturation. The free upgrade for non-enterprise users of 7 and 8 will go a long way towards that, but also just the refresh cycle of 3 years or so for business to go through hardware matches up with 10 being a strong contender for new adoption. You refresh software every other hardware cycle roughly.
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 1, 2015, 17:01 Flatline
Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 10:12:
Anyone that lazy should be shot on general principle.

We're thinking of using it for my 85 year old grandmother with early Alzheimer's disease that can't get out of the house any more on her own. There's several staples like toilet paper, soap, whatever, that we could set up for her. Since it goes to a cell phone I could monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Because it doesn't reset until after delivery I don't have to worry about her hitting it eleventy billion times a day.

It'd give her a little bit of agency and let her feel like she's still taking care of herself somewhat. And that's important for someone who is adjusting to being basically helpless.
News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
87. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 12:55 Flatline
descender wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 11:47:
"If there is no dogfight there is no space sim"

The general public's understanding of "flight in space" is hilariously misinformed.

There will never be a dogfight in space. Ever. Lots of long range ballistics, orbital maneuvers and "jousting" are much more realistic than the limited imagination of "flight mechanics in space".

"Realistically" most of the combat would probably be done a thousand years from now using drones and AI. If a human was involved they'd probably get strapped into a high-G bed, be put to sleep for the duration of the combat since you couldn't like, do anything, and your computer would do the fighting for you. You'd either wake up or you wouldn't.

But that would be a boring fucking game so we take liberties with reality to make a fun game.
2657 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

Blue's News logo