Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2112 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Retail Omerta - City of Gangsters Gold Edition Next Month
1. Re: Retail Omerta - City of Gangsters Gold Edition Next Month Jul 23, 2014, 19:44 Flatline

I seriously wanted to like this game more but it just seemed kind of shallow and lacking. I quit about a third of the way through it from lack of interest.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
50. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 22, 2014, 19:54 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 07:06:

But Spec Ops: The Line wasn't talking to *me*. That's the problem. I wanted it to talk to me but by attributing a terrible decision that I never made to my character, it built a wall between us.

In real life, if you're ordered to fire a barrage at grid coordinates X,Y and you find out after the fact that due to a fuckup in intel you killed a lot of innocent people, can you hide behind "it's not my fault I had no choice I was forced to do it!"?

It seemed clear to me in the game that you were expected to get pissed at the game and the devs for "not giving you a choice" and to build up that wall and keep going, guns blazing. That "I had no choice goddamn it!" is exactly what the character is thinking. Things could have gone a dozen different ways. Circumstances reduced those options. The frustration you feel at not having a choice is the displacement that the main character is feeling. This isn't his choice. Either circumstances left him with no choice at that moment or some asshole with a controller and a rambo fantasy hit a button and now he's got to deal with a horrible act on his shoulders.

I mean, think about it. Your character's original mission is to see if people are still alive in Dubai. As soon as you recon and find life, you're supposed to pull out and report back in.

Nobody in this thread has bitched about the lack of choice at that point where you first find life in Dubai. That's okay because we're playing the game to indulge in the hero fantasy. It's only when something we don't like, which attacks that hero fantasy, is attributed to us that we complain, and the displacement starts.

Edit: It's also interesting that people claim the idea of "stop playing or live with your choice" is bullshit, but isn't that exactly what every intentionally spawned enemy in every shooter (Especially the more derivative shooters) amounts to? A railroaded decision point- You will kill this character or the game ends. We accept that railroaded binary choice because it reinforces the hero fantasy. However, when it's something distasteful, then it becomes a problem.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2014, 20:03.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed
10. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Delayed Jul 22, 2014, 18:43 Flatline

Icewind wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 18:16:
They need the extra few weeks to tighten up that riveting romance dialog they are so famously known for.

Heh. Actually I found the romance between Male Shepherd and Talia in ME2/3 to be pretty good. The whole damsel/in awe of how awesome you are thing felt creepy a little but the actual romance? Especially in ME3? Good stuff.

I think Talia was by far the favorite romance story too in the games if memory serves.

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
3. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 22, 2014, 18:41 Flatline

That's exactly the kind of review I'm looking for thanks!  

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
1. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 22, 2014, 18:31 Flatline

Is anyone playing Hearthstone? Is it any good?  

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
12. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 13:15 Flatline

Lorcin wrote on Jul 15, 2014, 12:29:
How about you wake up at the start off mass effect 4 and realize mass effect 3 was all just a bad dream. Go Dallas on it's arse!

ME3 was *fine* until the end-o-tron 3000. Yes, the war effort thing sucked. But the writing was anywhere from good to fantastic right up until the end.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Jul 12, 2014, 02:13 Flatline

Oh yay. More Awesome Button gameplay.

On the up shot they're not cranking this one out in 11 months like DA2.

My problem is that... well... DA isn't a compelling world.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October
31. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth in October Jul 9, 2014, 14:03 Flatline

Yifes wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 20:03:
They are absolutely related. The one unit per tile and hexagonal tiles are a direct adaptation of classic wargames

BZZZT sorry thanks for playing.

"Classic" wargames are infamous for having huge stacks of chits per hex space. There are tools that have been invented (along with tweezers and forceps) for manipulating stacks of chits.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic681544_md.jpg

News Comments > Space Run for Windows and OS X
4. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 1, 2014, 11:23 Flatline

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 1, 2014, 11:03:
This game looks like Galaxy Trucker board game re-imagined for a Video Game.

Also waiting for the Linux release

I came here to say this.

News Comments > WildStar Updated
1. Re: WildStar Updated Jul 1, 2014, 11:21 Flatline

I have to say that WildStar grew on me. I ditched the space zombie plot which apparently had to do with making the forest happy so you could find a cure for your space zombie disease (WTF?) and rolled a spellslinger human and was actually interested moderately in the story.

However the game seriously started to grow on me starting around level 15. The telegraph patterns got more complex and the game itself got more fun overall. I dunno why they couldn't find that pace straight out of the gate. They would have done far better.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer
25. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Trailer Jun 28, 2014, 20:29 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:44:
At first I thought it was an expansion for the recently-released Space Hulk TBS. I bought that on a sale now I need to give it a whirl. I am frothing at the mouth at the idea of a solid WH40K shooter.

BTW, am I the only one who totally dug the Space Marine 3rd Person action game? It seems most around here slagged it pretty hard.

For as short as Space Marine was, it was incredibly repetitive. Which sucks because when they were changing things up the gameplay was fun. The risk/reward of healing by basically wading into combat was pretty good and the brutality stuff was fun.

But the animations were repetitive (I could only watch you make an ork give your chainsaw a blowjob about a thousand times before it got repetitive), the story was pretty boring.

If the innovation kept up I could have been pretty cool with that. The production quality was high though so points for that.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 27, 2014, 12:09 Flatline

Sigh. It's inevitable we'll start getting the nasty rootkit viruses for 64-bit systems but damn it's been a sweet sweet run never having to worry about the *really* nasty stuff.  

News Comments > Dawn of War Swaps GameSpy for Steam
8. Re: Dawn of War Swaps GameSpy for Steam Jun 27, 2014, 12:07 Flatline

That's better than quality service. Dawn of War is a 10 year old game that they didn't publish.

Giving out steam keys to boxed copy owners is even more unusually metal.

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
11. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 22:09 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 20:55:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 20:43:
I never realized Crytek had 800 people. That seems like an awful lot for a company with their limited output.

They've been that big for a while. They had studios everywhere. Every-frickin'-where.

Epic did, too. Epic. Epic China, which itself owned the Fat Princess studio. People Can Fly. Chair. Epic Japan. Epic Korea.
I think the big difference is that, for the most part, those regional subsidiaries were less studios and more regionalization and support. They didn't have huge staffs and weren't expected to do dev work.

It also helped that like 75% of the last generation of FPS and 3rd person shooter games used the unreal engine. That kind of base you can afford to sprawl.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies
7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - The Western Front Armies Jun 23, 2014, 22:06 Flatline

At first I was like "hey sweet! More CoH!" then I saw it was multiplayer only and shrugged.  

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again
24. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Delayed Again Jun 13, 2014, 23:21 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:32:
Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 12:31:
But a publisher also wouldn't approach a dev with a clear goal for a game, ask for a deadline, then a month later add 10 stretch goals to it and demand it still be delivered on the same release date. (well... a reasonable one wouldn't, anyway.)

Which is basically what some people are saying...

I don't buy that as an excuse.

Stretch goals aren't part of the initial pitch, so the people that contributed before stretch goals were posted, are screwed, if there is a huge addition to development time.

Stretch goals shouldn't be so lofty in the first place, that they add large amounts of development time. They're chasing "dollars / more backers" for minor features, yet encumber themselves exponentially. (Which probably equates to costing more than they collected for the feature).

It's stupidity.... from a business perspective.

Let's see here...

Cards Against Humanity was originally going to be printed on business cards. Their "stretch goal" was to print the game professionally and extended the turnover from like a month to like 3-6 months (I can't remember how long). Because of that they're the #1 game on Amazon.

Shadowrun Returns was going to have basically 8-bit pixel fidelity and be a fraction of the size the two campaigns ended up being. But because of stretch goals they were able to put out a product of significantly better quality and boost sales.

The guy behind Artisan Dice was hoping to make some pretty hardwood D6's and because of stretch goals and so much extra money he was able to start a business and now is one of the best artisan hardwood/stone/metal dice crafters out there.

I could keep going...

I'm rather glad people don't follow your advice. At least half my kickstarters are immensely better off for their stretch goals and enhanced money inflow.

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
27. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 19:53 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:38:
This has got to be the biggest scam in the history of gaming. Its right up there with 3D TV. This shti is just going to make people throw up....

Wait wait I thought Star Citizen was the biggest scam in the history of gaming.

Goddamn it I'm confused now. My hatred has a premium and I can only hate so many things with a blazing intensity.

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
25. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 21:29 Flatline

Mordhaus wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 20:01:
After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.

I rather regret hearing that. At least Freespace 2 is open source now and has been upgraded pretty well.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Trading Video
49. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 7, 2014, 02:07 Flatline

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 13:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:18:
Tim here sums it up pretty well for me.
I've got nothing invested in SC but really this guy going on about not being able to bind his keys in what is clearly an early version of the game is just painfully pedantic

It's an unfinished game..

An alpha is supposed to be a time for feedback and for input so that the game can be refined.

How the fuck are you supposed to give feedback when you can't control the game? I mean, "can you make the game playable?" should be one of those bits of feedback that boarders on axiomatic.

If mappable controls for something like a space sim with eleventy billion commands aren't in your initial release/alpha then it needs to be in one of the very first patches.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 5, 2014, 21:53 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 19:09:
*WHEW!*

So glad this isn't a game about sparkly vampires.

On the other hand, now that I checked it out, I remember hearing about this game over on Gamers With Jobs and 3 Moves Ahead. This should be cool.

And they made funding in a day. Guess people have been waiting for this.

It's one of the best, most tense 2 player games I've ever played.

2112 Comments. 106 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo