Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1949 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > On Star Citizen's $17M Haul
26. Re: On Star Citizen's $17M Haul Sep 1, 2013, 19:48 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:58:
El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:44:
We still have a ways to go before we have achieved the goal of being completely community funded

How much do they need? $50,000,000? Does anybody know?

Chris Roberts said US$ 20 million and then it's considered as entirely crowdfunded, making it the first fully crwodfunded AAA game in history.
Originally he wanted to raise as much as possible on Kickstarter (the original KS funding goal was a modest $500K) and their own site and the rest was supposed to come from investors (or Chris Roberts' private treasure stash or both...).
At US$ 20 million and above there will be no need for any outside investors so that CIG/CR (and the community at large) will be in full control of the project.

Except that Chris Roberts already secured the private investment money way back when before the KS if memory serves.

And even with my negativity aside, this game seems to be edging closer and closer towards EVE online, which was pretty much the worst MMO I ever played (I refuse to take on a second job aka join a corporation). It was boring in the n00b areas, and I stuck my toe one inch outside the n00b areas and the griefers were lining up to blow me out of the water.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
58. Re: Solved Sep 1, 2013, 12:24 Flatline

Comet wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 11:14:
Some people will want to keep the drama going. I myself was disappointed with the cash shop at first, but they have indeed given a pretty long and detailed post covering all concerns. And quite frankly everything seams logic. They also ask the community what we would like them to do.
And as I write this the vast majority has voted that they accept the current situation and there is no need for any change.
By the way I voted for a 50% decrease on the prices in the store but I'm not the majority. And quite frankly this guys gave a quick answer to the discussion specially considering that this is a WEEKEND.
I don´t know what more can we ask for. They're doing a terrific job and are indeed listening to the players.
Star Citizen won´t be pay to win just like Guild Wars 2 isn´t pay to win. Just ask the overwhelming majority of GW2 players.
By the way. One simple detail people seam to forget. Star Citizen will support player run servers much like what is possible to do with Freelancer.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who are totally cool with the idea of buying shit at a high premium without ever actually *seeing* the game and relying on the hype that it'll be awesome.

The monetization of this game is insane and unprecedented and that's indisputable. If EA opened up DLC sales 18 months before their next Call of Duty game there'd be rioting on these boards and it'd be 60 pages claiming EA is the devil.

I also haven't forgotten private servers. I'm expecting them to be nerfed and/or dropped completely or have such steep server requirements that it's effectively a non-item in order to support the monetization of the game.

Hey, I already sunk money into this and if the game is as awesome as the hype I'll publicly eat crow here.

48. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 03:20 Flatline

Ryan Lange wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 00:29:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 15:12:
Whether it's paying to win or not is irrelevant; since when does anybody launch their cash shop before the game even exists? I really hope the sad, strange little cult of followers here are beginning to realize how blatantly they're being exploited...

I haven't pledged any money to this project, but I have to disagree that this is obvious (or even subtle) exploitation. This isn't some charismatic guy pumping out press releases with empty statements about "how awesome my idea is going to be, so give me money." From what I've seen released so far, there's some real talent behind this project.

That said, the final product may end up falling short of many people's expectations. That's the inherent risk in "investing" in a project this early on. Even then I wouldn't necessarily call this exploitation.

Bit of a double standard you're flying aren't you? (edited because I was too antagonistic in what I said)

I *have* put money into it and my complaints are valid that I feel like I am a second-class supporter because I "only" supported at the kickstarter.

This whole "we're doing this so that people who want to support the game can" is bullshit. I already showed my support for the game. I backed it remember assholes?

47. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 03:19 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 02:40:
I'm actually more interested in the private version of their open universe/privateer server, than I am in the SP portion of the game. No idea how well that idea's gonna hold up, but I guess we'll see.

10 bucks says the private server is going to be one of the first things to go. After all, the way they're squeezing us for money, it seems silly if we can get all those things for free on our own server.

30. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 22:41 Flatline

I'm so happy that they're thankful and loyal to the kickstarter people who backed this and....

heh... I can't even pretend anymore. KS doesn't matter. As for the 2000 credits not being enough to buy anything, this is the primary issue I have with this entire project. People are plunking down obscene amounts of money to buy stuff in-game that really doesn't have any reference.

It's gotten kind of insulting really.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 30, 2013, 01:46 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 21:44:
That was a much needed improvement because I couldn't hear the non stop cursing on Live crystal clear.

Done in one.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
10. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 12:58 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 12:42:
Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 12:36:
News Flash! People like having fun in sandbox games instead of hauling around virtual friends to virtual social activities and sitting around waiting for them to be virtually satisfied every 20 minutes of gameplay.

"NIIIICO IZZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEEEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!"

Rockstar announced earlier today that they intend to counter Saints Row 4 with a new, as-yet-unannounced combination of features including a realistic blackhead squeezing minigame and procedural generation techniques that allows your virtual girlfriend in GTA 5 to criticize everything about you down to your activities in the game, in real time, over a cell phone connection that accesses your actual phone via bluetooth to call you at the most inopportune times of the game to complain that you don't pay her enough attention and how you're sexually inadequate in the bedroom minigame.

"This is unprecedented levels of fun" announced Rockstar. "We've on average tripled the amount of crying and emasculation during a session of the game, without having to result to peripherals like electric shock trodes attached to sensitive areas of the body!"

They're two very different experiences and I like them equally. I absolutely loved GTA4. While SR4 is doing great, people prefer the GTA style. Contrary to what you're saying.

I know, but GTA has been marching steadfastly away from the "psychotic fun" sandbox genre for a while now. I mean, while it's cool that they put in television that you could watch (which managed to be kind of amusing at times even) the idea that you're playing a video game replicating the most mind-numbing of mundane existence and then they expect you to maintain a make-believe social circle... well... those were the low points of the game for me that bordered on tedium. Yeah I know I can ignore it, but the game obviously wants you to stop playing it every 20 minutes and go do something inane.

That's not to say I won't play GTA 5 at some point, because I totally will, but I really don't want to simulate the parts of real life I play video games to escape from to begin with.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
8. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 12:36 Flatline

News Flash! People like having fun in sandbox games instead of hauling around virtual friends to virtual social activities and sitting around waiting for them to be virtually satisfied every 20 minutes of gameplay.

"NIIIICO IZZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEEEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!"

Rockstar announced earlier today that they intend to counter Saints Row 4 with a new, as-yet-unannounced combination of features including a realistic blackhead squeezing minigame and procedural generation techniques that allows your virtual girlfriend in GTA 5 to criticize everything about you down to your activities in the game, in real time, over a cell phone connection that accesses your actual phone via bluetooth to call you at the most inopportune times of the game to complain that you don't pay her enough attention and how you're sexually inadequate in the bedroom minigame.

"This is unprecedented levels of fun" announced Rockstar. "We've on average tripled the amount of crying and emasculation during a session of the game, without having to result to peripherals like electric shock trodes attached to sensitive areas of the body!"

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
44. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 16:10 Flatline

I hate Final Fantasy Online.

My friend is addicted to it. His ingame play time for FF11 was, last I checked, 2 years spent in game. As in 18,000 hours spent in the game. Which works out to around 6 years playing 8 hours a day. He'd wake up, go to work, come home, play until his guild (in Australia) logged on at like 11pm, play until 3am, and pass out for 4 hours, then get up and do it again. Nobody talked to him for 3 or 4 years because he was too busy doing FF11.

Now 14 comes out and he's dropped off the map again. Sigh. I won't see him for another 5 years. The thing that I hate about the FF MMOs is that they are built around addictive gameplay habits. I remember in 11 if you wanted to raise Chocobos as best as you could you had to feed them like every 7 hours or something odd/off like that so your always logging on at different times. Not to mention the bosses that took 18+ hours for dozens of players to beat.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 22:39 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 21:15:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 20:31:
Windows Phones have gone nowhere under his watch. Android is filling the gaping hole that should have been Microsoft's foothold in the smartphone business. It is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology. Ballmer owns that.

I'd pick something else as the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology, but also by Microsoft: Internet Explorer. They had 96% of the browser market in 2002 (according to Wikipedia, with no citation). Even if that's exaggerated and it was was "only" around 90% they practically had the world wide web in the palm of their hands and they pissed it away.

Dude they're still getting sued in Europe for monopolistic behavior for packaging IE in with Windows. The US sued the shit out of them too, that's when the browser market fragmented remember?

Selective memory... christ...

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
44. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 22:35 Flatline

JediPunisher wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 17:17:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 15:57:
Shrug. I have not finished a GTA game since the 2d ones. For me at least, the 3d ones are mostly sandbox police murder games. I don't play the storylines.

Did you play GTA IV? It was far more than a “sandbox police murder game”… It was a Russian mafia sandbox police murder game with the best storyline in the series.
Nevertheless, San Andreas was still my favorite, due to its larger sandbox; That's why I'm excited for GTA V... It looks like San Andreas on steroids.

NIIIIICO IZZ YOUR COUZAIN! LEETS SEE SOME TITTIES!

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 17:18 Flatline

My X-Wing/TIE heartbreaker game would have a full single player campaign at least (the "other side" could easily be an expansion/DLC, I'd pay 20 bucks for that).

A level editor.

You'd have co-op missions designed specifically around co-op. Head to head missions naturally.

I'd also have an online "Galactic War" mode. If possible, max of 128 players per fight. It might require a subscription to play depending on how complex it was.

Remember the Bone Yards for Total Annihilation? Where you had the galactic war as their multiplayer? Yeah think that... on crack.

Each multiplayer session one player can either volunteer or is selected on each side to be the battle commander. Reputation is used as a deciding factor. You can also abstain, though that doesn't count if everyone on your team abstains.

Commanders have a 3d map similar to Homeworld, and they're the only ones that can communicate between flight wings. They set waypoints, target priorities, and coordinate backup and capital ships that may or may not be in the area. They have the ability to "escalate" the conflict and open up more player slots/resources, but if they do the other side will escalate automatically, and the battle is worth more.

Pilots gain experience not on their kill/loss ratio but by how well they execute orders. Following waypoints and sticking to your missions nets you XP, which can allow you to pilot experimental (read: EU) craft if they open up in the battle. You're rewarded minimally based on how good a pilot you are and largely by how well you work as part of the team.

At the end of each mission, the pilots on each team get a simple thumbs up/thumbs down vote on how good their commander was. This provides a ratio/score for each commander, allowing you to see before a mission how good your commander is, and in the event of a draft commander, is the score by which the player is chosen.

Each mission starts out with, say, 1000 points on each side. As missions are accomplished, those points are reallocated. As you take losses you lose points as well. If you ever choose to escalate, 1000 points are added immediately to the stakes, and new player slots are opened up. If players don't join, the stakes are still higher. So think carefully before you escalate.

At the end of the day, each system that is contested on the map totals the points of each mission. Whichever faction has a higher score takes the system. Some systems provide bonuses (extra missiles, advanced weaponry, and even a few that provide access to experimental craft), some are desirable because they open up hyperspace routes deep into enemy territory to contest, etc etc...

When players join the mission they're given the option of flight wings the Commander has drawn up (resources committed may give you a starting point total), and you join that wing. So on a bombing run there may be one element of x-wings for fighter support and 2 y-wing bomber wings. You can't always play the ship you want. Higher XP probably would give you the option to fly the ship of your choice if you join in pre-mission.

Guilds would be called Squadrons naturally enough, and their "guild hall" would be a squadron rec room that they could customize and decorate. Local leaderboards, squad insigna, and similar to the trophies from Alliance, memorabilia and trophies from your accumulated victories.

Recruiting squadrons may or may not be cheaper than recruiting random pilots. The point here is to organize.

There's more to the design I thought up, but that's the basic skeleton of it.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 24, 2013, 16:52 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 00:22:
If they insist on supporting xbox 360 and PS3 then whatever they put out for Star Wars won't be all that great.

I'd make games based on Han Solo using the old books that put him in the Corporate Sector. No force powers, little Empire, but solid stories with interesting atmosphere.

Actually, I thought that if you did a Steel Battalion style controller you could totally do a pretty epic X-wing game on the console. Space combat sims aren't exactly heavy on the resources these days.

I'd plunk 150-200 bucks down for an x-wing cockpit and game. And maybe even the TIE companion.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch
20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch Aug 23, 2013, 16:35 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:19:
Slick wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 10:16:
so for someone largely uninitiated into MMOs, is this a good one to pick up? I tried SWToR with my RL friends, and we lasted a month and a half, the gameplay was just boring as all hell.

1) tab target

2) spam 30 buttons of mostly identical spells

3) repeat

zzzzzzzzzzz

what is the "twitch" pvp you speak of? is this just an evolved wow clone? same mmo schlock as always? or do i actually get to "aim" at stuff, or do anything which requires skill beyond that of an almost turn-based system of unresponsive awful global spell cooldowns..., in that all i usually see is a very removed strategic layer of decisions as to what order to cast my spells in. I was amazed how physically moving around is never really useful once you've engaged your target, sometimes even negative as your healers can't heal you, so you're encouraged to just try to aggro one baddie at a time, then not move, spam buttons, then engage the next one... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ tell me GW2 is different?

The major thing about GW2 combat is that attacks and spells don't just magically connect to the thing you have targeted. You can and should MOVE while you attack, even as a Ranger or Engineer using bows or guns. Projectiles are actual entities that fly through the air, so if you get out of the way or put something else in between it and yourself, it won't hit you. Then you can evade almost anything else using various skills that include an evasion effect or the standard combat roll that everybody can do (up to twice in a row, takes a little bit to regenerate the endurance).

This is what gives you a twitch advantage over AI enemies, and it's what adds a significant element of skill to PVP. It's really awesome to duel a big dumb warrior guy who thinks he can just stand there and swing at you, dodging his heavy-hitters by timing your skills correctly and then whittling him down with DoTs and/or a flurry of crits. My main is a ranger, and equipping a sword in the main hand and a dagger in the other gives you 3/5 skills on the hotbar that include an evasive maneuver, so managing the timing correctly you can dodge a majority of incoming damage. It's especially fulfilling when you take on a giant ogre or something in PVE that is a few levels higher than you and/or a veteran or elite, and then defeat him not because your stats were good enough, but because you played skillfully.

Not to mention projectiles when fired through friendly AOE zones stack status modifier effects onto the projectile or onto you. Firing through a heal zone may give you regeneration, so your healer *doesn't* have to know where you're at. He just drops an AOE and you run in and heal or fire through it and heal. Or you inflict poison, or burning, or give yourself swiftness. While you do have skills on timers, they tend to combine in different ways. Interrupting different skill combos with other skills results in finishers and some other stuff. You can get by without necessarily knowing it, but it does help.

Also, most of the traditional "roles" you think of in MMOs have been shuffled up: Healer, Tank, DPS, etc... Everyone has healing abilities now for example, and while some are better than others (Warrior's suck) it's pretty cool how everyone tends to end up taking healing duty in a group.

News Comments > Thief in February
38. Re: Thief in February Aug 17, 2013, 19:02 Flatline

*Reads the admin's edit of my rant*

*Slow clap* Bravo.

News Comments > Thief in February
31. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 21:47 Flatline

So wait... this is a continuation of the Thief series or a reboot? Some people have said continuation, others a reboot. There's no Hammerites, there's no Trickster minions, and the whole reason why Garrett is a badass thief (the keepers) seems to be missing and you're just... a badass thief.

That being said, I actually really like the art direction of city in the new cinematic. It looks like a city I'd like to run amok in. On the flip side, the guards look... anachronistic. They're like early 1600's and everyone else is like 1870. I'd have spent more time making them look a little more in-fashion or a little more ceremonial like the Swiss Guard if they were going to be anachronisms.

Garrett however looks like a fucking anime ninja now and I'm totally uninterested in him as a protagonist.

The story however sounds like shit. It actually sounds like a direct ripoff of the themes in Bioshock Infinite. Industrialist/rich fuck on one hand, "man of the people" on the other, and big twist I'm sure the "man of the people" is going to turn out to be a fuckhead.

And since they're pitching Garrett as "robin hood" now, he's going to develop a conscience and become a hero of the people by opposing both sides and forging his own solution. And then at the end of the game he'll toss that all aside to go back to robbing rich fucks and keeping the profits.

If it turns out like that I'm going to vomit through my eyes, but that's what it's looking like.

Edit: Admin added spoiler tags.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2013, 09:15.

News Comments > America's Army: Proving Grounds This Month
4. Re: America's Army: Proving Grounds This Month Aug 15, 2013, 00:13 Flatline

Looks like a shitty budget title. The original AA was graphically rather sophisticated for it's time.

I remember them pimping the hell out of it at an E3- they had you gear up with an M4 replica that was gas-powered recoil, put on a flak vest and a helmet and go into a shoothouse and shoot bad guys on a screen. They'd then look at your shooting stats and evaluate how fast you were on target & hit ratio and a few other things.

So I suit up because fuck yeah this is fun so long as it's make believe and the officer leans in and tells me and the other guy "these guys have been sauntering into the shoot house all day. I want to see the two of you kick the fucking doors off their hinges and get in there as fast as you can."

Yeah I can do that. WHAM! we both kick as hard as we can and send the doors flying as he cries "get in there! Get in there!"

It's basically targets popping up in an urban street that have weapons that shoot at you but never actually hit you. But that's okay because you can't help but to feel like a badass with even an M4 replica in your hands. So we murderate the badguys and come out feeling good about ourselves.

First guy gets a 40% hit ratio or so. Not bad, not bad he's told, pretty good reaction time between when the bad guys popped up and when they got shot.

Then the officer looks at my results and just says "Jesus...." I look and say "yeah, that second shot missed because I wasn't ready for the recoil". Otherwise 100% hit ratio and an absurdly fast reaction time. We chatted for a while and I mentioned that I, at that point, played a lot of laser tag arena at the time, had done a few championships, and we routinely played against cops, the local SWAT, marines, whoever wanted to come throw down in a structured environment, so at that time I probably had a few hundred hours in the basics of CQB under my belt. I miss those days... They were great times.

Anyway had a good 15 minute conversation with him, really nice, and it was a lot of fun watching other folks go through the shoot house. It was one of the big memories of that particular E3 (I think that was the one that freaked everyone out by having the Army fast-line in from a blackhawk and assault the expo to open it).

Never did play the video game though.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Adds 12-on-12 Combat
5. Re: MechWarrior Online Adds 12-on-12 Combat Aug 14, 2013, 18:38 Flatline

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 23:04:
Now more unbalanced mechs to alpha strike you per map! This is progress!

I'm waiting for the "armor boosters" that give you an instant 10% armor boost per use, for the low low cost of 50 cents per.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2
25. Re: Ships Ahoy - PAYDAY 2 Aug 13, 2013, 15:48 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 14:38:
nin wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 13:52:
because apparently SWAT is recruited from the mentally handicapped ward?

Stormtrooper Academy of Shooting?

Something like that. It was ridiculous. They were out in the open, the entire street was filled with SWAT guys, and they were never getting hit. Edit: Watched that part again, they ARE getting hit, but it apparently does little to no damage. No idea if that was a dev mode thing or something. What I assumed was their health bars were slooooooooooooooowly counting down from 100 / 150. Like falling by 1 every two seconds slowly.

The narrating dev kept shouting at his buddies to "stay behind the Enforcer (guy with the body armor)!" as if wearing body armor somehow made him this bullet-absorbing black hole that would safeguard everyone else by force of his sheer presence. I guess SWAT in Payday is armed with a Volquartsen .22?

I wouldn't mind it so much if that was a rare occurence, but judging by their video the heist can go bad in a million different ways (they got ganked because a pedestrian saw them sticking up the bank and called the cops), and then it's immediately SWAT-Zerg.

Bleh.

I don't know what game they were playing, but it wasn't the game I played in the Beta.

In the beta the cops *never* missed, it was a question of reaction time, and one SWAT cop could probably hit you six or seven times on full auto before you could start to return fire. Plus, your health is paper thin- in the Beta they actually had to default to give everyone armor because you'd die in about 4 bullet hits otherwise.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 4 Ocean Size and Harpooning Explained
9. Re: Assassin's Creed 4 Ocean Size and Harpooning Explained Aug 7, 2013, 15:43 Flatline

Xil wrote on Aug 6, 2013, 13:58:
I really enjoyed AC1, more then enough to buy AC2, found the whole story line just great if not brilliant, wanted to play more to learn/uncover more. So with that in mind AC3 was a must buy but the whole story did not really grab me that much and now I am looking at AC4 and thinking naaaa probably not.....

I was an AC fan and petered out on AC3 as well.

However, that being said, I've been waiting for a AAA age of sail naval game, and the ship levels for AC3 *almost* scratched that itch.

So I'm getting AC4 because it'll be more of what I want, not because it's an AC game oddly enough.

I just wish someone could take this sailing/fighting engine and do the Napoleonic Wars with it. I'd pee myself a little to be on the deck of a ship giving orders at the Battle of Trafalgar while the French & British fleets blow the living fuck out of each other.

1949 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo