Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1902 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Hardcore iOS Jul 17, 2013, 17:41 Flatline

iOS first has to decide it doesn't want to be Windows 8 before it can ever aspire to being an OS for "hardcore" gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Jul 16, 2013, 03:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 16, 2013, 00:43:
Played it a bit.. got repetitive as hell though

Amen. The grind was unbelievable too. Everything is drop % rates, and not very good at that. I played 20-30 hours and never assembled enough drops to build a new warframe- I was stuck with the one I used from the beginning of the game.

Apparently, there are particular missions you have to grind 20-30 times *each* at around 30 minutes per mission in order to get enough kit for a warframe (and you have to succeed at the mission, logging after looting loses you the loot). And there's like 4 or 5 parts to a warframe. So you're looking at 100 hours or so of grinding.

There were moments that were fun, but you hit walls really, really fast that you either grind forever or pull your wallet out and pay for. Which is why it blows. The last 5 hours or so of Warframe before I uninstalled it were so unimaginably tedious because I had stopped actually improving as a character- I could only grind until I had enough mats to unlock a new weapon (which was necessary because they kept nerfing weapons) so I could start doing stuff again.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 16, 2013, 00:49 Flatline

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 16:34:
Smart watches are one of the dumbest ideas in a long time. A lot of the younger generation don't even wear watches. No reason to, their phone has everything they need.

Surprised that Apple thinks this will fly when it has no chance in hell.

Jobs is gone. He didn't design but he had overall vision. Take one look at IOS 7- it's a train wreck visually. Everyone hated the fuck out of Windows Metro so Apple decided they had to do their own riff on it. Office 2013 decided that flat UI and black & white is the way to go and somehow Apple agreed. In this light, are the watches *really* that odd?

I also suspect they'll just flat replace the ipod nano.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2013, 00:35 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 19:29:
Flatline wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:17:
Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 15:45:
Like most everyone else I would have ZERO interest in backing a company if all the extra money just mean they were going to go out and do hookers and blow with it.

Profit? Why the fuck should a company have the audacity to make a PROFIT off of the product they're selling? How fucking insulting can you get?

Because it isn't an investment. You want to give your money to someone so they can go party with it that's your business. I'd prefer a return on my investment. This why publishers already exist. They gamble that the game will sell well and both the developer and publisher profit by it. And that money is generated by investors and sales. That's not what Kickstarter is for. And where the fuck did anyone - myself included - ever say we begrudge them EARNING a profit. That's a major fucking difference from it just being handed to you for doing sweet FA. Whenever you take you car into the shop do you give your mechanic double for no reason? No, of course not, so don't be an ass.

Dude it's not like in this scenario they'd be skipping out on delivering a product to you.

Board games do this all the time in Kickstarter. Yeah they'll have stretch goals for better dice or shit like that, but the difference really isn't 20k to upgrade 200 backers to speckled dice. If 1000 people order the game, suddenly they can order on a larger scale of economy and pay less. Nobody demands *more game*. In fact, there's a general cheer that the developer gets to actually make a bit of money off of things, since margins are razor thin to begin with.

So on a 60 dollar board game it may cost 35 dollars to produce and ship to the developer, and generally speaking, they eat shipping at that point too. If they raise an extra 20k and include a sexy dice pouch *and* manage to drop the cost of production to 33 dollars a unit, nobody expects that extra cost to be passed onto the game components or more rules or more game.

If someone pitches a video game to me on kickstarter, and they triple their KS pledge limit, it's downright fucked of me to assume that their budget automatically went up 300%. Most devs will do just that because they love games and I appreciate it. But if they said "fuck it you're getting the game you paid 30 bucks for" and didn't triple the budget, as long as they met their original goals and expectations who am I to bitch that they pocket the money?

And your analogy is fucked too. If you take your car into the shop and he says it's going to cost 100 bucks, but then another twenty people bring their car in with the exact same problem and he can buy in bulk and drop his cost from 50 bucks for the part down to say 40 (and an extra 50 in labor), you're saying he needs to provide you for 10 dollars worth of extra service, and that just plain doesn't happen in the real world.

Now, if the devs say 100% of the money will go to development of the project, then I'm all with you that blowing past their initial request and blowing the surplus on hookers & blow is a bad thing.

The problem with DFA is that Schafer got 300% of the money he was expecting and created 600% of the game he originally envisioned. And he created it without keeping the budget in mind. Apparently the money's gone and the game's not even half finished. So now he's going to pre-orders and steam orders and is screwing up what he promised to do (delivery times aside) to the original backers. *THAT* is what I have a problem with personally.

The other lesson here is that Tim Schafer is a terrible f*cking project manager without someone over him cracking a whip.

Edit: I went back and looked at the "Frank assessment" that was discussed, and the game is, as it stands right now, around 25% finished. On 3 million dollars. Two more years to get the game out the door at 3 mil a year makes a 9+ million dollar budget game. To put that into perspective, the budget for Witcher 2 was 8 million. The idea that they can generate another six million off of beta access is fucking idiotic. Remember, this is a niche old school adventure game that got HUGE press pimping when it was announced. Odds are most of the market has already bought in.

There are only three outcomes I can think of here: Double Fine releases Broken Age Act 1 and then walks away when they can't raise the further six million, or the game is going to get butchered at the choping block to fit it down to the budget, or Double Fine will stick to the project and go down in a blaze. I guess they could decide to whack it up into multiple episodes to get it out the door, but even that I don't see as palatable. I also suppose that they could push other projects out to generate some operating capital as well, but still, this is a pretty effed up situation for the company.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2013, 00:45.

News Comments > OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled
10. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 18:36 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 18:08:
Agreed - zombies are old hat and people in general are tired of "It's a zombie game - with a TWIST!". It has to be something from a well established franchise or something REALLY special to catch on at this point.

Case in point- The Walking Dead, while not spectacular as an adventure game, succeeded by having really, really great writing and telling a good story. I burned out on the TV show and never read the comic book, but the game was great.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 15, 2013, 18:24 Flatline

BS lawsuit from an avowed nutjob.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 15, 2013, 18:17 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 15:45:
Like most everyone else I would have ZERO interest in backing a company if all the extra money just mean they were going to go out and do hookers and blow with it.

Profit? Why the fuck should a company have the audacity to make a PROFIT off of the product they're selling? How fucking insulting can you get?

Double Fine's issues stem from there not being a development plan/stretch goal ladder already in place. In other words, nobody knew how much each bit they were adding was going to end up costing. If you look at Torment, they had calculated out how much money was required to do each step. Is it going to stay in budget? Hard to tell really, but with Double Fine they said "give us money and we'll make something old school and awesome!" then went with the money they had and created a game design. Which is the old way of doing gaming budget. In crowd-sourcing there's no chance to go back to the publisher and ask for more money- that's it. Budgets have to be spot on. Feature creep is your enemy.

It'll be interesting to see if other folks make the same mistake DF did. Shadowrun already went over-budget for example, but not enough to put Hairbrained into dire straights.

News Comments > OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled
8. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Cancelled Jul 15, 2013, 18:01 Flatline

First, zombies have been done to death (pardon the pun) in video games. They've jumped the shark. I can't even begin to see anything appealing about Oz & Zombies. It gets an eyeroll whenever I think about it.

Second, how do I say this... Alice... it's time has passed. The goth movement is dated and isn't the same as it was. The goth/punk dark twisted fairyland hit at just the right time. Now it's dated. The only "dark/twisted child's fairy tale" I wouldn't mind exploring *might* be Neverland/Peter Pan. The themes at play there with the Lost Boys could actually make for an interesting narrative, reinforcing those ideas instead of... sigh... zombies.

News Comments > Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch
8. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 15:07 Flatline

I quit playing about six months ago but played the hell out of the game during it's beta and early launch. There were some tasty times to be sure.

However the hosted server model sucked and there was no mod support, so I never got to relive Renegades in all it's beautiful, beautiful glory (and to a lesser extent Shifter)

News Comments > What is Payday 2? Trailer Explains
7. Re: What is Payday 2? Trailer Explains Jul 10, 2013, 16:33 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:01:
What game engine are they using? co-op is fun but why not have some pvp cops vs robbers action?

Because that's basically team deathmatch with skins?

Or if you throw in objectives, Counterstrike?

This is closer to Left 4 Dead.

@Verno: I don't know what kind of spawning system would have pleased you. Yeah there was infinite spawns with periods of heavy spawning, which could be reduced by taking out security cameras on some maps, but the spawn points were pretty logical and not as bad as many AAA games.

If there were finite spawns the game would have been WAY too easy.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
29. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 01:47 Flatline

s1mon75 wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 00:26:
Doesnt Eve already have this? But they have infinite resources, eg on server restarts asteroids that were mined out the day before are respawned.

For an economy to work such as one they have described you need finite resources (like in the real world). But no MMO to date has even attempted finite resources.

Ill be watching this one with earnest

Demand is the other half of supply & demand. If demand outstrips supply, you see a price spike. Resources come in at a finite level. Even if there's unlimited resources in each resource node, there is a very finite speed that you can put resources into the economy: It takes time to mine/gather and that time can't be sped up. That effectively acts like a finite resource. Any scarcity bottleneck will suffice to make a pseudo-economy tick. Limited resources is the most basic because that's the one we're taught to think of in school.

Plus, it's easy to put resource drains/taxes/syphons/diversions into an artificial economy. Look at most MMOs: They have all kinds of outlets to keep gold in check. It may look like a closed economy, but money comes off of mobs & from NPC vendors initially, and eventually goes back to "the system" to be destroyed through auction taxes, cost of crafting, vending, etc...

What I don't like is that there's theoretically some NPC out there counting the number of missiles shot in a dogfight and deciding that the price of those missiles needs to go up because X number of them were shot off. That kind of perfect economy information leads to extremely unusual artifacts in your economic model that end up leaving logic and experience behind. You can see an example in today's stock market. It's far more volatile than it was 20 years ago because we have clusters of computers with perfect, less-than-a-thousandth-of-a-second knowledge of the stock market updating thousands of times per second all trying to second guess each other and make transactions where each trade nets you a few cents, but then make millions of those trades in seconds. When the programming isn't spot on and certain characteristics emerge in the market, every computer freaks, and the stock market plunges 300 points in 10 seconds.

In other words, perfect knowledge market AI makes human gaming of the economy/market less and less useful. And if the ratio of AI agents to humans really is 9 to 1 like was mentioned earlier, the end result is going to be that no human endeavor is going to matter or have any lasting impact in the market.

28. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 01:37 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 23:28:
I'm not sure he can accomplish a perfectly balanced fully dynamic economy, but I'm sure he can accomplish some of it. Also, stop with the negativity. When was the last time a game ATTEMPTED to do something cool design-wise. Nowadays designers are useless, it's just clones of copies. How many of our favorite classic games had high goals that were never fully reached, but allowed these games to become great. Applaud the guy. Don't pay if you don't want to, no one is forcing you. I'm reminded of Garriot saying that all designers suck and I think that that's what he meant. Not that I'm excited about his next game, but still, he did design great stuff. Chris Roberts on the other hand has a better track record.

I backed this back during kickstarter. I *want* it to succeed. Desperately.

But there's a difference between promising the earth, moon, and stars and delivering the same. I've been burned enough, and know enough technically, that the sales pitch has to match the reality of business and technology. And right now the pitch isn't matching up very well.

I'm also fucking sick of every new piece of news coming with an "give us moar money!" button next to it. As I said before, I feel like a chump for *only* putting 60 or 80 or whatever it was towards this game back during kickstarter, when now that money could go towards a ship geared specifically towards the style of gameplay I might prefer to play.

It's a bullshit sucker punch and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that there's anything I can do about it at this point.

I'm trying to stay grounded because I know if I let myself get excited and hyped there will come a moment when he says "you need 8 high-end servers to run a player-owned shard" or "private servers are off the table" or "single player is being cut down to 5 missions. Think of them as an offline tutorial really" or "microtransactions for everyone!!!" type of deal, I'm going to be REALLY pissed.

20. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 21:59 Flatline

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 20:14:
Dev wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 14:50:
How many of these "last chance now really mean it now" sales have they had at this point? lol

There is a core set of ships you can buy any time.

They had 'limited' ships for sale a few times.
They are limited in the sense that you can only buy them during special promotion times - not any time.
Sometimes only during certain phases/periods of the Kickstarter fund.
Sometimes only during 24 hour live streams.

There were 2 ships that were quantity limited : Scythe and Idris.

They did fudge the Idris by releasing a Patrol/Police version later (also in limited quantity).
Effectively, they made a 2nd Idris batch, and changed it up a little so they could hand-wave the old quantity limit.

-scheherazade

And that's all on top of the kickstarter packages the schmucks went for.

I'm going to question if a "perfect information" economy is going to work very well or is even feasible. It certainly isn't going to be feasible on a user-run server to keep track of twenty or thirty billion assets in real time all being moved by thousands of AI entities. And that all is based on an economic theory that I'm not sure is going to work. It almost seems like the universe "great unseen hand" has an omniscient eye and can see when people are hoarding and change the economic balance accordingly. But that's not how economics works. Perception, and especially flawed perception, is a big part of economics.

Anyway, I don't see some schmoe hosting this complicated of a server at home. Five bucks says that the private servers are either going to be completely nerfed or are going to be dropped entirely. And that's If and Only If they make good on all the online component stuff.

Something big has to give here. There's too much being promised.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2013, 18:11 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 13:09:
And don't forget Shadowrun has been delayed twice now and they're out of money which is why it's finally being shipped.

Yeah, the first delay was when KS shattered their goal in 24 hours and they like quintupled the size of the game. They said even before the end of the KS that the schedule was going to have to change.

The second delay was a whopping month. Probably to implement VR Matrix.

And they delayed the game for a month *after* they went through the KS money.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
17. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 1, 2013, 01:54 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 14:30:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 14:19:
It is kind of hard to find anything to complain about with Sony.

Yep they did pretty much what any video game hobbyist would have dreamed up. I guess we should say great job, but it also is master of the obvious stuff if you pay attention. For Sony this is a huge turn of events, where I made fun of them, now they get it, welcome.

I am hoping this means that this point forward everything will be backwards compatible. That there will be incremental upgrades instead of generational releases. Why not in two years put in a faster BPU/GPU, etc? No need to start anything over, these are closed PC's.

This is how Apple makes their billions, incremental HW improvements, just have to sell at a profit. They could make a $1000 version of the PS4 at release and enough would buy, not saying they should, but it's to my point.

Say the mass market is $400 and below. But in a year make a $750 dollar version PS4.1 that is just stronger, a year after that put the PS4.1 at $400 and introduce another stronger PS4.2 at $750. To say that doesn't work is to ignore what Apple has done.

This is a terri-bad idea that deserves to be shot behind the woodshed before it bites another animal or human and spreads the derp.

Instead of backwards compatibility you now have forwards compatibility issues. AAA dev decides to only publish for PS4.2 while everyone else is publishing PS4.1. If you don't have 700 dollars to spend every year or two you're fucked. Or even worse, you keep selling revisions but one sells *really* well and to maximize sales developers stick with that revision's system requirements and suddenly nobody is using all the new power and toys and sticking with the old revision and you have DirectX 9/Windows XP all over again, with dead hardware revision cycles.

No, 700 dollar yearly or every-two-year lifespans of hardware is a terrible idea. With iDevices, at least you can make phone calls, listen to music, etc... if your device is too old to make use of all the latest apps.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Preorders
3. Re: MechWarrior Online Preorders Jun 25, 2013, 22:08 Flatline

Wow they even manage to f*ck over the founders pack purchasers by giving better swag here.  

News Comments > OZombie Kickstarter
8. Re: OZombie Kickstarter Jun 24, 2013, 23:32 Flatline

STOP PUTTING ZOMBIES IN EVERYTHING ASSHATS.

Christ... It's like "what can we combine with zombies to make money? I know! The Wizard of Oz!"

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
98. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:47 Flatline

jimnms wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 15:42:
Since the game isn't based around PvP, I don't see how it can be called P2W. It's more like P2GaBS (Pay to Get a Better Start).

In a sandbox environment "winning" more or less means "getting to do what you want".

If it takes X number of hours of boredom mining asteroids and hauling inexpensive freight from point A to point B in order to make enough money to afford a ship that lets you play how you want, and then someone else who wants to play the way you want to play pulls out a credit card and skips those X hours, I'd say that's "pay to win". Or if it wasn't a transaction, and it was say... a code or a hack, it'd be cheating. So how about instead of pay to win it's pay to cheat?

78. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 13:23 Flatline

1badmf wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 02:34:
Overon wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 01:51:
I have to agree with Flatline there is way too much speculation and blind trust in Roberts Space Industries.

see, that's the problem with all this griping. it's not 'blind' trust. it's chris roberts. if you don't know his history, you shouldn't be bothering with this. if you do, you should know that if anyone can do this right, it's him. i think he's earned our trust.

That's kind of the definition of blind trust. We have no hard data on the game or how it plays, only a bunch of PR buzz lines, some carefully edited footage, and a price list.

I've had enough darling developers screw the pooch at an epic level that past performance doesn't promise future results to me. And I'll go here... the same issues and questions that historically plagued Freelancer while Roberts was still lead are showing up here again.

And here's another thing- if what someone else in thread said is true and that they're only offering to sell all these ships until the Alpha, that's kind of f*cked up.

I mean, I'd like to assume they have the basic flight engine already done. It wouldn't be hard to offer test drive packages- dump the ship into an asteroid field with basic weaponry and let us fly around and see how things go "pew pew pew" and handle. Put a 10 minute timer on it for all I care. It'd justify the 250 dollar investment some of these ships are requiring. Slap "pre-alpha code, use at own risk" on it and let it go. It'd take 15 minutes per build I imagine to crank out a test drive, and give us a lot of hands on information.

And finally on the P2W thing, P2W doesn't necessarily mean that you pwn the world with your ship. If I have to schlep solar power energy cells from factory A to depot B for 30 hours in order to afford the most basic ship but could slap down a credit card and get a more advanced ship immediately in the play style I'd like, that's P2W. My time has value, and it's also short-cutting the intended game's path with money. Is it the worst example of P2W? Not really... but it is an example.

53. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 00:44 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 00:37:
And I thought I was a negative person... :p

Hey I want to be totally wrong. I miss space combat sims with a passion. I still replay Freespace 2 every few months because the genre is like crack to me.

Optimists see the glass is half full, pessimists see it half empty, engineers see the glass was designed twice as large as needed, and I see enough water to drown in.

1902 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo