Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2175 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
74. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:18 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 15:47:
5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.
Thanks I actually didn't know this.
So many times I've entered the station and spun around like an idiot looking for my docking platform.
This will help

Docking became sooooo much less confusing once I realized that. Point at the landing bay, roll to the proper orientation, PROFIT.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 15:47 Flatline

Dala wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:40:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 13:34:
Ok really stupid question. But how do I dock? I finally found the station where my Eagle is docked and am at a loss as to how to dock without provoking a lethal response. How do I get docking permission?

Press 1, press E, press E, select the name of the station you want to dock at (this is normally at the top of the contacts list), select request docking permission from the menu, wait.

If docking permission is refused, repeat the above.

If you get permission you should be assigned a pad number and about ten minutes to dock. This is plenty of time so it would be best not to rush your first docking attempt.

Further info for first time dockers.

1. You'll by default auto-rotate once you enter the station, so everything should stabilize. This is a good thing.

2. When you drop your landing gear your speed is cut in half and your boost is disabled.

3. Green lights on the letter box are the side you should fly into. This is not a rule however and people ignore it so be careful docking at busy stations.

4. Max shields until you get the hang of it. Trust me on this (4 pips to system, or just hit the down arrow key to equalize power then hit the left arrow key twice to max out sys/shields).

5. As you cross the threshold of the mailbox, your compass will change to show where your docking bay is. This is useful if your docking bay is right up near the entry port. It's also useful to get your bearings in general since your docking bay can be above you or out of your field of view.

6. Landing is easier than it used to be (you used to have like a 3x3x3 meter "window" that you'd land in) but generally speaking you have to be more or less level, in the center of the landing bullseye, around 10 meters or less above the deck, and zero or almost zero speed. Use your thrusters to get the hang of landing.

41. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 12:48 Flatline

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 12:28:
Did you even bother to read all of the responses to this thread before you decided to start spouting shit out of your mouth?

Get a clue!

Of course I did. I just wanted to make you feel worse.

29. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:42 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!

I'm bounty hunting in an Eagle right now. It's a blast. The ship is tougher than you'd give it credit for (especially if you upgrade it), and a good thruster upgrade makes it one of the most nimble ships in the game. Turrets are really the only thing that fuck me right now in it because I just don't have the staying power that a Cobra or even a Viper might have.

But that being said, in an upgraded eagle (which will cost you probably 1-200k, or a few hours of heavy bounty hunting) you pose a pretty significant threat.

Also, and this is a general suggestion, when you're approaching stations to dock, do yourself a favor and start thinking more newtonian by maneuvering your ship into docking position as best as possible using your thrust keys and not your joystick/mouse. So get used to strafing left right/up and down and maybe using rotation on the stick/mouse to let you line up with the letterbox. The sooner you get used to maneuvering using all your thrust vectors the quicker the game opens up for you.

Also, thrust is additive. So full throttle forward plus strafe left plus strafe up is going to have overall more speed in your final vector than if you were just going forward.

28. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 11:34 Flatline

Darks wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:36:
SpectralMeat wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:26:
InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 10:12:
Is there any way to enable the mouse in the cocpit menus? I was struggling to bind keys from my joystick, the whole binding system is a horrible mess.

My first mission will be "Find your pre-order Eagle". Apparently its an agile and very lightly armoured fighter, thats music to my ears. So its just like a tie fighter, basically a flying space lazer! PEW PEW!
That's why you need a TrackIR or a Rift. I just look at the menus and they open up then use the buttons on my joystick to navigate them.
There are keys to bind each of the 3 panels if you look under options. There are at least 200 gazillion key binding options from menu navigation to flight controls targeting and all the different functions of your ship like silent running lights cargo door etc etc.

This I what concerns me about this game. they have gone ape shit overboard making the game way to complicated with controls and to the point of almost forcing you to have a complicated setup to play the game.

This is why I am passing on this game. I am hoping Star Citizen is not going to be the same mess. I don't want to wade thought a ton of keyboard options just to paly a flight sim, I want to enjoy it for what it really is and not have to feel like im in some real world BS. I get a feeling this was done to appease the hard Core players.

Bullshit.

I have a keyboard and an ancient joystick and I'm doing fine. Stick for roll/pitch/pew pew pew, keyboard for thrust vectors. WSAD for accellerate, pitch left/right, QE for strafe left right, FR for up down. X is bound to automatic 50% thrust so that I can turn off flight assist and instantly get back to maneuvering speed.

That's 90% of my controls. If I want to hit a menu 1-4 are at my left hand, and that's the menus, and you use WSAD to navigate the menus and QE to navigate the pages.

There's like 3 other keys you use frequently: deploy hardpoints (to reign them back in), jump drive, and landing gear. I have target acquisition and flight assist bound to the joystick so no bigs there.

The only difficulty I'm having is that energy redistribution is defaulted to the arrow keys, and I have to let go of the strafe keys to adjust power, but that's only a minor setback.

That's like what, 12 keys total?

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands
6. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Expands Dec 16, 2014, 11:28 Flatline

Ah Torvin, the most boring part of the game.  

News Comments > Warhammer Quest Announced
5. Re: Warhammer Quest Announced Dec 15, 2014, 17:56 Flatline

SimplyMonk wrote on Dec 15, 2014, 12:51:
Warhammer Quest though I think suffers from the same problem Space Hulk's video game incarnations do.

Well for the video game implementation they f*cking nickle and dime you to death.

The base app was like 5 bucks. Then each hero set was another 3. And each tile set where adventures took place was 3 bucks. And each set of monsters you wanted to fight was 3-5 bucks.

What would have been a perfectly fun playable game was killed IMHO by microtransaction greed.

News Comments > Op Ed
69. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 18:05 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 17:54:
Some reviewers did mention the game's sexism at the time, though, like Gamespot, and it led to thousands of abusive comments and a reworking of Gamespot's comments system.

But more than that, yes I'm sure there's a certain amount of groupthink here, and I'm sure many critics had a great time with the game and only later started complaining about sexism. Maybe that makes them hypocritical to some extent, but it's also entirely possible to enjoy a game while disliking certain aspects of it. I don't think anyone is saying GTA5 is a bad game because it has these problems, or that nobody should play it. They just want some specific problems addressed.

I don't think losing the ability to hire prostitutes would actually hurt the game in any way. Especially since you get nothing out of it nowadays anyway.

Hiring prostitutes isn't the problem. Killing them is.

And I'm tired of people splitting split hairs. Have some guts and call them on their bullshit. You know, it's entirely possible to identify with a point of view while still disliking certain aspects of it. Right?

And oh but if only it was liking a game but not liking certain other aspects of it. If *only* the author had the guts to admit that of his industry. But see, it's not *his* problem. He and his are intellectually matured and have no need to change their opinions. It's everyone else who doesn't agree with them who need to come around.

News Comments > Op Ed
63. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 17:30 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 16:26:
Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 15:54:
I just don't get this argument, though.
One guy wrote the review, an entirely different guy wrote the Op/Ed.
A year passed between them, which is a considerable amount of time for opinions to be re-evaluated, anyway.
And it's possible for a game to be incredibly fun to play yet also have some absolutely terrible plot points that make people cringe.

Does everyone writing for a site have to share the same opinion?
Can opinions not change over time?
And can something bad in an otherwise great game not necessarily make the game not worth playing?

According to SJW's yes. An entire group is guilty of the actions of a few individuals no matter what, even if there is no direct evidence--and if they work for them, the entire business/organization/etc is guilty of it. Notable examples from the last year: Mozilla, Gamergate.

So yep, Polygon has a serious misandry problem. I believe they need to take serious corrective steps to fix it.

Yeah, and to cut off the "vast majority of gamergate is about hating on women" argument, the vast (and I do mean vast) majority of gaming journalism collectively jizzed in their pants for GTA V (it's got a metacritic rating of like 95 or 97).

So now that they've had their misogynistic fun they get to tell us we're all bad people for enjoying the game that they spent considerable man-hours convincing us to buy and play and enjoy?

If that's not hypocrisy then I don't know what is.

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 17:25 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 15:54:
Flatline wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 15:40:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 15:37:
Oh...OH...OOOOOOH.

Where was polygon last year? That's right, giving it a 9.5/10. Fucking clickbait. Apparently Polygon has a serious misandry problem, what can Polygon do to correct this?

*fistbump* beat me to it.

I just don't get this argument, though.
One guy wrote the review, an entirely different guy wrote the Op/Ed.
A year passed between them, which is a considerable amount of time for opinions to be re-evaluated, anyway.
And it's possible for a game to be incredibly fun to play yet also have some absolutely terrible plot points that make people cringe.

Does everyone writing for a site have to share the same opinion?
Can opinions not change over time?
And can something bad in an otherwise great game not necessarily make the game not worth playing?

If you're criticizing society for giving rockstar a pass, start with the place you work with.

No you don't have to share the same opinion, but you do have to be willing to call bullshit where it lies. And if you're standing it it and scream at someone else that they're standing in bullshit and how dare they, you look like a fucking tool.

Besides, there's a joke thread floating around. Here I'll link it:

http://tinyurl.com/kh38wmx

The screen-cap is a parody, but it shows that Polygon was on this misogyny kick back when it gave GTA V a glowing review.

I'm just saying if you're looking to make a change, but you're not willing to look at yourself and your own house, maybe you're not really looking to make a change that seriously.

News Comments > FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game
14. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 12, 2014, 17:19 Flatline

Let's make FPS games of ALL THE THINGS!!!  

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 15:40 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 15:37:
Oh...OH...OOOOOOH.

Where was polygon last year? That's right, giving it a 9.5/10. Fucking clickbait. Apparently Polygon has a serious misandry problem, what can Polygon do to correct this?

*fistbump* beat me to it.

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 15:33 Flatline

Slick wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 13:39:
Flatline wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 11:45:
If you'd argue that at times GTA5 can be sexist, then I'd agree with you, you'd get no argument from me. In fact, in a crime/lowlife simulator there is almost certainly going to be a negative light cast on many women. But I wouldn't immediately say "Oh the designers hate women and this game promotes hating women".

okay, so perhaps i'm not as learn'ed as some who carry around a pocket OED but to me the definition of "sexism" should not inherently concern only one sex (just as racism and prejudice are also concerned, no race or sex is implied with these word).

I'm almost through the GTA V campaign, and i gotta say, as far as a "negative light being cast", i'd say that men take the center stage. well, psychopaths take the center stage, who happen to all be men.

So how exactly is GTA sexist? because there are occasionally women in it? i'm not trying to sound cute, i genuinely do not understand how this works, or the rules going on here.

Couple of things. The story with Lazlo/Michael's daughter was pretty sexist. You could argue that was the point of the character/story and I'd agree with you, but it's still sexist.

Being able to rub your hands on a stripper for 2 minutes and having her jump in the sack and date you is pretty sexist.

It's been like a year since I played the game so some details are fuzzy in my head. But they do exist.

Now as for Beamer suggesting that video games make society sexist, that's kind of bullshit and historically ignorant (It's also identical to the murder simulator BS Jack Thompson was famous for, just replace "murder" with "hates women" and you're done). There's been sexism for probably as long as there's been civilization. I think it's a better argument to suggest that sexism you see in media/video games arises as a reflection of our culture rather than a shaping force of it.

Also, Polygon is full of shit. I know this is an opinion piece, but let's start at home with criticism.

Polygon's review of GTA5 was a 9.5 out of 10. They fucking *loved* the game. But now it's trendy to be part of the internet rage machine.

Why not start with why your own publication loved the fucking game when it came out a year or more ago if you're going to shame society for liking a game that your own bosses told everyone to play?

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2014, 15:40.

11. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 12, 2014, 14:15 Flatline

Creston wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 14:06:
InBlack wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 09:18:
Why isnt anyone actively pursuing a sequel to "Freespace2"? With the recent resurgence of interest in space games in general, especially space flight sims, and with everyone concentrating of open world games, or MMOs (CR gimme Foundry42 and the rest be dammned goddamnit) I would be eager to see Volition going back to their roots and doing one. Who owns the licence for this IP?

The IP wouldn't even matter. Freespace had the most generic "Aliens come to attack duuuurrrrr!" storyline ever. You could easily make a new story in ~ 10 minutes.

Freespace 2 sold terribly, however. Just awfully. So everyone decided there was no interest in games like that.

Star Citizen and E:D should probably prove that wrong, but otoh, would there be that much demand for Freespace 2 right now, as we're in the midst of a space game renaissance?

FS2 is a completely different flight engine and experience compared to current space sim games. Freespace 2's flight model was more traditional/xwing-ish to start with (and SC was supposed to be *grumble*) while the combat was based off of WW2 pacific theater combat with large cap ships and AA flak and dozens of fighters swarming around in the chaos.

If you go download the updated engine files for the open sourced FS2 and play the game again, the actual game mechanics and game experience still hold up extremely well (except for the shitty nebula missions nobody liked those).

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 13:31 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 12:39:
Really, I see no mention of "ingrained."

All I see is "subscription wanted".

I guess subscribing to something means you hate women?

Edit: Since the ODE is behind a subscriber wall I ended up using the ODO apparently.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 12:20 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Dec 12, 2014, 12:07:
Misogyny isn't simply actively, openly hating wome. The OED defines it as hatred, dislike or prejudice. So all sexism against women is misogyny, because it's prejudice.

Funny, OED doesn't consider misogyny as a synonym with sexism. In fact, OED doesn't *have* a synonym for misogyny.

But you selectively edited your OED definition of misogyny. OED doesn't say it's just "prejudice", it says it's "ingrained prejudice". And OED defines "ingrained" as:

(Of a habit, belief, or attitude) firmly fixed or established; difficult to change:

So according to OED, misogyny is intentional, full of haterade, and firmly established and difficult to change.

Sexism is defined since we're throwing definitions around as:

Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

I could drive a bus through the gap between those definitions. It's entirely possible to be sexist inadvertantly or without knowledge of it. I'd argue misogyny is intentional and self-aware.

8. Re: FreeSpace Miniatures Kickstarter Gauges Interest in PC Game Dec 12, 2014, 12:03 Flatline

Board games generally do better at kickstarter than video games, but that being said I'm very reluctant to suggest backing this game.

1. FFG will pursue them if it's too close to X-wing. And it seems basically like x-wing.

2. Only CG renders of... well.. just about anything. They have two 3dprinted "prototype" models that look about as low-res as you can imagine. I could push those out for like 10 bucks on shapeways. Probably using original FS2 meshes.

3. Shitty artwork. Sure it's too early to have final art, but there's like no graphical design at work here.

Pass. Seriously pass. And I'm a diehard FS2 fanatic.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Dec 12, 2014, 11:45 Flatline

What I want to know is since when did all sexism suddenly become misogyny?

If you'd argue that at times GTA5 can be sexist, then I'd agree with you, you'd get no argument from me. In fact, in a crime/lowlife simulator there is almost certainly going to be a negative light cast on many women. But I wouldn't immediately say "Oh the designers hate women and this game promotes hating women".

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2014, 18:03 Flatline

Bill Borre wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 18:00:
I dunno. Everything I've read about about both Tom Cruise and Steve Jobs would seem to indicate that they're two-of-a-kind personality-wise.

Tom Cruise is a manic depressive off his meds because he believes he has exercised all the alien souls out of his body.

Steve Jobs was probably a high-operating psychopath.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 10, 2014, 16:31 Flatline

Thus confirming that Aaron Sorkin is a complete idiot. Further proof is the last few episodes of The Newsroom.  

2175 Comments. 109 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo