Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1896 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
27. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 19:53 Flatline

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 20:38:
This has got to be the biggest scam in the history of gaming. Its right up there with 3D TV. This shti is just going to make people throw up....

Wait wait I thought Star Citizen was the biggest scam in the history of gaming.

Goddamn it I'm confused now. My hatred has a premium and I can only hate so many things with a blazing intensity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Patched
25. Re: Star Citizen Patched Jun 7, 2014, 21:29 Flatline

Mordhaus wrote on Jun 7, 2014, 20:01:
After flying my hornet in AC, I asked for a refund of my kickstarter. The flight model is not what they promised, you hit the spacebar and basically can just turret in space. It was supposed to be a ww2/star wars style dogfight flight model, but it's the complete opposite.

I rather regret hearing that. At least Freespace 2 is open source now and has been upgraded pretty well.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Trading Video
49. Re: Elite Dangerous Trading Video Jun 7, 2014, 02:07 Flatline

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 13:52:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 08:18:
Tim here sums it up pretty well for me.
I've got nothing invested in SC but really this guy going on about not being able to bind his keys in what is clearly an early version of the game is just painfully pedantic

It's an unfinished game..

An alpha is supposed to be a time for feedback and for input so that the game can be refined.

How the fuck are you supposed to give feedback when you can't control the game? I mean, "can you make the game playable?" should be one of those bits of feedback that boarders on axiomatic.

If mappable controls for something like a space sim with eleventy billion commands aren't in your initial release/alpha then it needs to be in one of the very first patches.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 5, 2014, 21:53 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 19:09:
*WHEW!*

So glad this isn't a game about sparkly vampires.

On the other hand, now that I checked it out, I remember hearing about this game over on Gamers With Jobs and 3 Moves Ahead. This should be cool.

And they made funding in a day. Guess people have been waiting for this.

It's one of the best, most tense 2 player games I've ever played.

News Comments > WildStar Head Start Underway
4. Re: WildStar Head Start Underway Jun 1, 2014, 18:59 Flatline

I have zero fucking idea what the plot is. I joined exiles to play with my friends and we started out in a colony ship attacked by some bad guys who were hunting us so we evacuated down to the planet and then... That whole premise just kind of went out the window. I am playing the cyborg diseased race and started out looking for a cure even though apparently there's a huge fucking war going on like right around us. Next I'm trying to talk to some big fucking tree then everything gets set on fire and I'm running around now with elves (yay. More fucking elves. I am so fucking tired of elves) rubbing my dick on forest spirits to make them feel good (not really an exaggeration).

There's icons that show you that you can scan something as part of your "path" but they only appear about 25% of the time, and I feel like I'm completely fucking lost. It doesn't help that so far the environments I've seen are kind of cool colony ship, generic overgrown vine & forest amalgam #378, and a bad guy base that looks like Warhammer 40k Ork settlement steampunk for a supposedly extremely advanced spacefaring race.

I've spend about 8 hours in the game and literally have no fucking clue what's going on. They spend a lot of cutscenes introducing you to characters that I no longer encounter, and then the main characters who you encounter constantly get no introduction. It's like "oh go say hi to Queen so and so and do her some favors" and I'm like "queen so and so? Who the fuck is she and what's she even *queen* of?"

So I'm left with gameplay. It's... okay. About par for the course for a WoW clone. With some weird addenda like I can't select targets with a keypress. You either click on them or they propagate during combat. The UI is a mess.

I don't know. I may not actually play the game any more. Which blows. I am almost positive I won't play past the first month.

I think that's what pisses me off the most. I bought this game 1 to play with my friends but 2 because they pitched it as not really being a fantasy game, but so far 8 hours in and it's basically a fucking fantasy game.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. May 30, 2014, 00:12 Flatline

Oh yay another Cliffski blog where he tells us How It Really Is and why we're all basically cheapskates.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 20, 2014, 00:42 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 19, 2014, 23:06:
MindStalker3 wrote on May 19, 2014, 11:33:
As article stated its 4 to 9 watts for standby. Honestly, yeah, we need to worry about people leaving 60 watt lightbulbs on all day, but why are we obsessing of a 5 watt device? There are tons of much more power hungry things in your household.

The XBone uses 16 watts in standby. That's ridiculous. And no one leaves on a 60 watt light bulb for 24/365. And 16 watts is like leaving a CF bulb on all the time.

Even 4 watts is fucking absurd. Yeah sure it may not sound like a lot but 5 million xbones times even 4 watts an hour equals 20 million watts an hour, or 20,000 kilowatt hours of energy wasted, every hour of every day, on a video game console being powered *off*.

That's roughly enough energy *wasted* every day to power my last house for aprox. 5-6 *years* used in one hour. So if on average the xbone is left off for 12 hours a day, that means that 240,000 kilowatt hours of energy are wasted. Per day. Yes, my numbers are low, but even if you go with the fucking insane US average of 900 kw/h of usage a month you still are looking at powering 20 "average" homes for a month with the power consumed by a device that runs on standby at 4 watts.

If the number is 16 watts... jesus... that's on average almost a million kilowatt hours of power wasted every day (if the xbone is off 12 hours a day) so that the xbone can save an extra 2 seconds booting up from standby instead of a cold boot.

Let's put that into concrete terms. Here is, on average, what one ton of coal, one thousand cubic feet of natural gas, and one barrel of petroleum can produce in kW/h:

1 ton of coal: 1850 kW/h
1 Mcf of Natural Gas: 130 kW/h
1 barrel of petroleum: 530 kW/h

So, with numbers of 240,000 kW/h at 4 watts for standby, and 960,000 for 16 watts, the amount of fuel we use to keep the xbone alone in standby mode is:

84 tons/518 tons of coal per day
1846 Mcf/7384 Mcf of natural gas per day
452 barrels/1811 barrels of oil per day

And as of March, Sony has sold 6 million PS4's, so really, double those numbers.

And that's just so that these consoles can sit in standby and boot up just a little bit faster.

Sources:
The EIA government website-
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=667&t=6

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
28. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 4, 2014, 00:01 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 3, 2014, 01:04:
Flatline wrote on May 3, 2014, 00:58:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:20:
nimski wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:48:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:52:
it's not stop and play FPS for a while.

It's when you are boarding a ship to capture it, you and your friends will board the ship and have to kill the current owners of the ship and then take control of it. Killing them in FPS, inside the corridors of the ship etc.

Also, lets say you find an abandoned space station or whatever, you land your ship on it, get out walk around to explore, and another person has also landed on the other side and all of a sudden a FPS firefight breaks out as you run into each other both exploring the same station or planet etc. (or groups of players exploring together)

Ok.. that's cool and all, but what game are your friends playing when you decide to board the ship? They will be flying their own ships most likely. So everyone will need to stop and come do the boarding mini-game. I'm just trying to think of how this plays out in reality.

The friends could also be in your ship. example: The Constellation is a 4 crew ship so 3 of your friends could be flying around with you manning the turrets etc. and you guys decide to board another ship to take it.

Oh yay. I will point out that the turret/rail shooter portions of FPS games are usually the shittiest parts of the game.

Now you're telling me I get to spend unlimited hours of playing that? Where do I sign up?

who put a gun to your head to play what you don't like? you must have some shitty friends.

most will most likely have npc as crew, and yes as a previous poster was asking, the npc's will be able to help you board etc. they probably won't be as good as humans though is my guess.

Well... seeing that the game I backed during the initial kickstarter and the game as it stands now are completely fucking different beasts, I'm going to say Chris Roberts.

That aside, my point was that claiming that rail shooting, one of the most reviled fillers of FPS games of the past 10 years or more, is a huge selling point is pretty stupid.

And that point still stands.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Report
24. Re: Star Citizen Status Report May 3, 2014, 00:58 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 23:20:
nimski wrote on May 2, 2014, 22:48:
{PH}88fingers wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:52:
it's not stop and play FPS for a while.

It's when you are boarding a ship to capture it, you and your friends will board the ship and have to kill the current owners of the ship and then take control of it. Killing them in FPS, inside the corridors of the ship etc.

Also, lets say you find an abandoned space station or whatever, you land your ship on it, get out walk around to explore, and another person has also landed on the other side and all of a sudden a FPS firefight breaks out as you run into each other both exploring the same station or planet etc. (or groups of players exploring together)

Ok.. that's cool and all, but what game are your friends playing when you decide to board the ship? They will be flying their own ships most likely. So everyone will need to stop and come do the boarding mini-game. I'm just trying to think of how this plays out in reality.

The friends could also be in your ship. example: The Constellation is a 4 crew ship so 3 of your friends could be flying around with you manning the turrets etc. and you guys decide to board another ship to take it.

Oh yay. I will point out that the turret/rail shooter portions of FPS games are usually the shittiest parts of the game.

Now you're telling me I get to spend unlimited hours of playing that? Where do I sign up?

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
27. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 17:18 Flatline

NegaDeath wrote on May 1, 2014, 15:16:
That's pretty ballsy of them. It's one thing to sue Oculus pre-buyout, but now there's an 800lbs gorilla with essentially unlimited funds backing them. Good luck with that.

Now there's a multi-billion dollar company to wring money out of.

If you're in the tech industry, and you've ever read your employment contract, you'd be amazed at what you give your employer. If Carmack wrote the great american novel in his off time at work ZeniMax probably would own the rights to it.

News Comments > Rogue Shooter Demo
4. Re: Rogue Shooter Demo Apr 27, 2014, 14:41 Flatline

I remember playing something exactly like this back in the day called randmap for sven coop in Half Life.

Of course, that had the benefit of being half life combat. Sadly I'll pass on this.

News Comments > Star Citizen "Coming Together"
24. Re: Star Citizen Apr 26, 2014, 19:19 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 26, 2014, 16:21:
Developers don't usually show off content so early in development. I mean, we've seen the same thing happen to Microsoft when demoing upcoming versions of Windows - shit happens.

Bullshit we're what, 6 months past when we were supposed to have the multiplayer dogfight module? All we were supposedly waiting for was the netcode? But now it's so early in development it can't be judged from hands on?

I mean, WTF?

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 22:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:44:
InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 10:38:
Have you guys even read the article? Im going to be the devil's advocat on this one but he makes a lot of fair and reasonable points.

Well, I supposed being nickled and dimed to death for a free game is fair enough, but it's fucking annoying. I'd rather pay one time for a complete product. It's like buying a car. Sure you can pay for all manner of addons, but if you decline to at least you still have a complete functioning car at the end of the day.

And no attacks F2P if it's good. It's just so few of it is because it's really P2W. And that deserves to be criticized. If that douche doesn't like it he can take his ball and go home.

Every time I have to make a purchase I evaluate "do I really want/need this?" Purchase decisions are not conductive to me wanting to play a game. Encountering that decision every 20 minutes or less makes me want to play the game less, because it's just not fun any more psychologically.

Traditional games I pay once and just get to play and enjoy. F2P, when they aren't pay to win (as they so often are), presents me with the hesitation "Is the value worth... this much? How about this much? How about now? Or now? or now?" Not to mention the purchases, being piecemeal, don't give a psychologically satisfying buyer's rush for me, since I don't *really* have much to show for my 2-3 bucks.

I admit I'm not F2P's audience. I don't engage in the kind of impulse buying that F2P relies on. But I don't think that's some how me living in denial, it's that I'm literally wired differently.

News Comments > Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week
1. Re: Shadowrun Online Early Access Next Week Mar 27, 2014, 21:40 Flatline

At first I was like "Da Fuq?", then I remembered when this was announced, like a year before Shadowrun Returns launched. And was promptly forgotten about.

While I always wanted to see an SR MMO I'm wary about it. And the video linked has zero footage of the game, which always makes me kind of wary.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Announced
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Announced Mar 21, 2014, 14:47 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 14:35:
NegaDeath wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 14:18:
I enjoyed 4 for all the naval stuff and shanties it brought, but I'm really really tired of the on foot stuff. I don't think I can stomach climbing a viewpoint for the millionth time. Or a follow mission.

Agreed. It's just old at this point. I think the French Revolution is a great period of history for a game but at this point I'm pretty far into franchise fatigue. Without the naval combat to prop it up I doubt I would be interested in more of the same. I'd like to see some dramatic changes to several areas of the game. With 800 people working on these things you would think they could do more than the repetitive stuff we've been seeing.

While I don't mind the French Revolution, why not skip forward like 5 years and do the Napoleonic Wars? You already have the naval combat engine and that was a global conflict.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015
14. Re: The Witcher 3 Delayed to February 2015 Mar 11, 2014, 17:29 Flatline

Fantaz wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 16:12:
and what's going on with their Cyberpunk 2077 game?

It won't be out until after Witcher 3. They're probably doing preproduction work on it.

Which sucks, because the delay just pushes Cyberpunk out that much farther. I predict a 2017 release for that game. *maybe* 2016.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 00:44 Flatline

I've been completely underwhelmed by this new generation of consoles. I'm leaning towards a PS4 *if*, and that's a big if, I pick up a new console.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 10, 2014, 23:43 Flatline

Future iterations of Star Citizen?

So... they're allocating funds for the sequel?

I think one of my main problems is that the game I originally kickstarted/funded is almost nowhere to be seen any more because it's had more stretch goals added than original features. If I could pull my money out at this point I probably would because I'm just not interested in the game that they're developing at this point.

News Comments > Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition
17. Re: Homeworld HD Becomes Homeworld: Remastered Edition Mar 5, 2014, 21:29 Flatline

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 21:15:
It says right there it includes the "archival versions" of Homeworld Classic and Homeworld 2 Classic with modern OS compatibility. Hopefully modders can take apart the remastered versions unless Gearbox continues with their anti-mod track record as of late.

Overall it sounds a lot better than the joke that was Beamdog's Baldur's Gate "Enhanced" Edition.

Homeworld was notoriously hard to modify. HW2 was a little better but not by much.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2014, 15:30 Flatline

Man that article on the printer reads like it's satire. I guess it's for real, although there's nothing backing it up, including the IEEE dude's own webpage.

Though reading what he has said, it's not out of the pale, the guy has his head in the sky about a lot of things.

1896 Comments. 95 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo