Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2561 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
70. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 31, 2015, 11:41 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 21:29:
Flatline wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 20:53:
So how big is the total SC install now? 60 gigs?

It's about 32gb or so. They still make you completely re-download the game with a torrent connection. Unless you really want to immerse yourself in the extra 15 minutes of content, I'd say hit up youtube.

So the social module of one map and one model only takes up 2 gigs?

Jesus they're getting "efficient"!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
33. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Aug 30, 2015, 20:53 Flatline

So how big is the total SC install now? 60 gigs?  

News Comments > Borderlands Movie Plans
7. Re: Borderlands Movie Plans Aug 28, 2015, 19:49 Flatline

The idea of a Boarderlands movie seems like a goofier, ultraviolent version of Firefly.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Dishonored Aug 28, 2015, 13:46 Flatline

ZeroPike1 wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 11:35:
Well that title was click-bait in its purest form. But having read the article, yes, yes it is ok to be mean to a mean player in the game. It also adds to the idea of replayability and multiple paths to the different endings.

True, although I think the article misses one of the better "being mean to the players" game experiences of recent memory- Spec Ops The Line.

I mean, it's obvious you're not meant to be a hero after the "bad thing" happens, but the end monologue of the guy you've been going after for the whole game is pretty much directed arguably at you as much as the character.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Sells 6M
38. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 28, 2015, 11:55 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 15:48:
Has anyone actually played Cyberpunk - PnP - with any regularity? I don't know anything about it.

Yeah it's basically Neuromancer the RPG with one of the most lethal combat systems I've ever seen in a TTRPG. The original CP had a little booklet called Friday Night Firefight and it was a combat system designed to produce results from FBI gunfight statistics.

So most firefights happen in a poorly lit area, at distances of less than 20 meters, usually between untrained or only moderately trained combatants, with most shots being clipped off fast and missing, and the first time you're hit you're either dead or more or less out of the fight and probably bleeding to death. Even the smallest guns can, on a good damage roll, kill in one shot.

CP2020 tones the lethality down somewhat but not much. Cyberware and cover are pretty much the only things that help you survive gunfights. If we even thought combat was about to break out we'd start inching for cover.

CP is Gibson-esque cyberpunk as opposed to say something more recognizable like Snow Crash. So imagine early 80's Japanese economics taken to the Nth degree. It's actually kind of like Fallout. Only instead of the 50's progressing forward, it's the late 70's into early 80's.

In shadowrun terms, this means it looks a lot like the "pink mowhawk" era of SR (First edition). In the game actual character classes are stuff like Rocker, who uses the power of his fans to "fight the man", investigative reporters, bikers, stuff like that. There's a heavy dose of counter-culture and anarchy being tasty and it gets a little heavy handed.

CP 2020 feels dated. But it'll be interesting what CDPR does by advancing the setting 60 years.

37. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 28, 2015, 11:45 Flatline

Task wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 21:14:
Also, regarding Cyberpunk - that teaser trailer they put showing the cyborg woman is a nod to the cyborg woman doing a similar pose in the source book I think. Its right after the Contents page in the Cyberpunk 2020 2nd Edition. Probably in good hands seeing as they go straight to the source. Side by side comparison if anyone is wondering what the hell I'm talking about.

If you look closely at the cyberwear shop behind the firefight, you also see the rocker chick in the nightie with the chrome arm lifted straight from CP2020.

Edit:

Oh that's the picture I"m talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/uN9L4RP.png

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2015, 11:58.

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
208. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 27, 2015, 19:57 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 19:40:
I thought the petition reply was pretty accurate:

Reply to Dsmart

I did a spit-take when I read this:

your own acidic proclamations and statements which clearly indicate you humor a fanciful wish of dethroning Chris Roberts and taking over his company and game

Wat?

21. Re: The Witcher 3 Sells 6M Aug 27, 2015, 13:14 Flatline

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 27, 2015, 11:51:
Congrats to CDPR.

I can't wait for Cyberpunk, but I will keep my expectations lower than they were for Witcher 3. It's not that I don't think they can do it, but it is the first game of a new IP so I expect some growing pains.

Supposedly it's supposed to be more open ended than Witcher 3. More like Skyrim with Chrome than Witcher. At least that's what they were saying when they originally were talking about it.

It makes sense. Cyberpunk is basically set in Night City. I don't remember anything *outside* of night city but considering bikers were a class type there was "outside night city".

So something the size of GTA 5 would feel pretty tasty: A giant central city that's dense, and enough "not the city" outskirts to let you blow down a highway at midnight and feel like you're in the boonies.

202. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 27, 2015, 12:54 Flatline

Kosumo wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 19:30:
and hey, at just $350 they are a steal!

Dude that's almost a vacation for me. I honest to god can't believe that this shit is still happening, at this pace.

It's gone the way of beanie babies in the 90's. Huge markups for supposedly rare commodities that actually aren't.

193. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 26, 2015, 18:59 Flatline

It sounds like the social module is going to be a lot like Playstation Home, only without like... anything to do.

And we all know the success that effort generated.

183. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 23:28 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 16:00:
btw

Just an FYI, quoted from the blog

Finally, in Section VII of their own ToS, they indicated thus:

For the avoidance of doubt, in consideration of RSI’s good faith efforts to develop, produce, and deliver the Game with the funds raised, you agree that any Pledge amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items. In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on the Website to fully explain the use of the amounts paid for Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost. In consideration of the promises by RSI hereunder, you agree that you shall irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any Pledge that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.

As they haven’t delivered on the original Kickstarter which had an estimated delivery date of Nov 2015. As of August 2015, they still had not delivered. And now Chris Roberts is quoting end of 2016 for full delivery. The original items (listed in my demand letter) have neither been completed, nor delivered as of the aforementioned date. Which is why this clause – in their own TOS – should now trigger. But they have thus far failed to honor it; much like every other promise they have now broken.

So does that mean that section 7 triggers if they launch and forget the 100 page e-book on customizing and tweaking my ship's engine? It says that it triggers if RSI is not able to deliver the game and/or the pledge items.

155. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 11:57 Flatline

Tigger wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 10:11:
After doing a bit of reading last night, it looks like Roberts hasn't shipped a game since 2003. And that game was late. By years.

I think this may be a case where, perhaps as a producer or designer, he may be in a bit over his head.

Freelancer? You mean the game MS *fired* Chris Roberts from so that it could eventually ship?

154. Re: Star Citizen at $73M; Rental Equipment Credits Controversy Aug 25, 2015, 11:56 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:42:
Julian Delphiki wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 08:58:
Obviously you yourself are fixated on SC, though you have a much more negative approach than most. Mr. Black Knight

#BlackKnightsMatter

Ow. Snorting coffee out my nose hurts.

153. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 25, 2015, 11:55 Flatline

descender wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 08:56:
Derek Smart does what Derek Smart does because he is Derek Smart.

/cue the music from the james cameron episode of southpark

I may point out that James Cameron did raise the bar for everyone.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
17. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 22:45 Flatline

Man I played a lot of warframe when it launched. Went back recently and it was like WTF they changed almost everything.

It was fun enough that I dropped 20 bucks into it and got about 50 hours of playtime. Not too shabby I thought.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 14:08 Flatline

harlock wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:06:
Flatline wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:01:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 12:20:
"The poster child for this right now might be Zoe Quinn, who at the time of writing has yet to be able to return to her home due to the recent unpleasantness (and is drawing closer to becoming the video game world's fatwa-era Salman Rushdie by the day)"

Yes, she's *just* like Rushdie. Right in the trash you go mr. bad article.

I wasn't aware that Mr Rushdie slept with half a dozen Islamic clergy while formulating his criticisms.

but then again, they both really like anal

I just blew chicken soup out my nose laughing thanks...

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 14:01 Flatline

Vulkan wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 12:20:
"The poster child for this right now might be Zoe Quinn, who at the time of writing has yet to be able to return to her home due to the recent unpleasantness (and is drawing closer to becoming the video game world's fatwa-era Salman Rushdie by the day)"

Yes, she's *just* like Rushdie. Right in the trash you go mr. bad article.

I wasn't aware that Mr Rushdie slept with half a dozen Islamic clergy while formulating his criticisms.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 13:57 Flatline

Necrophob wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 11:59:
Perhaps the reason there aren't rows and rows of PC games on the shelves anymore is because of Steam and other digital only sellers, hmmm? I don't know when the last time I bought software on a disc.

Yeah I came here to say this.

My rate of piracy went down to 0 and has been there for over a decade now as I grew up and got a job that paid enough for me to indulge in my hobby, even as the ease of piracy went up.

Hell my current PC doesn't even have an optical media player in it. I just don't need it anymore.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 13:29 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 00:07:
This is regarding:

“When we first started, we raised $6 million with crowdfunding,” Roberts told me. “That was a lot, but it still wasn’t what we were gonna make the game for because we had private investors lined up. At that point, we were thinking of making a much more contained game. But as things went on and the stretch goals kept getting hit, people were basically saying, ‘We want this feature’ and ‘we want that feature.’ So obviously, the scope changed. It naturally follows that if you’re gonna build a house and then someone says, ‘No, we want you to build a huge castle,’ even if you have a lot more money, it’s gonna take more time to build the castle.”

Two points.

1. When funding reached 20 million Roberts wrote a community letter praising their combined efforts to reach such a milestone. In that letter he wanted to address their growing concerns over scope creep.

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce.

. . .

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints.

. . .

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state.

So in September 2013 Roberts tells concerned Backers "No, it's cool. This is shit we planned to add from the beginning. We just need more Backers - like you - to give us more money to make it happen." Then today, August 2015, Chris is now blaming those very Backers for the game's current "scope creep". Like what the actual fuck?!

2. Roberts now admits in writing that "we were thinking of making a much more contained game". In other words that game he pitched on Kickstarter.

I'm at a complete loss for words. This is like the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jessep admits to ordering the death of PFC Santiago in a court of law.

Go look at the stretch goals. They stopped substantially at like 20 million or so (I can't remember the actual number). Everything after that is either new ships or new planets.

None of the infrastructure of the game expanded past that point supposedly.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
23. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 16:27 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 15:56:
As for Star Marine, I really hope they will replace just about ALL of the animations before it is released. The stuff they showed at Gamescom was ridiculously bad for a company that constantly boasts about "highest fidelity", "immersion" and "revolutionary" things.
Fuck, they even had a stretch goal for their own mocap studio so how can you seriously with a straight face show off animations that look like an amateur asshole like me slapped them together in five mins?

That stretch goal was only to *build* their own mocap studio. The 105 million dollar goal is to actually *use* the mocap studio.

2561 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo