Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 1952 (Pro)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
50. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:19 Flatline

Clever Caviar wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:00:
on knowing better: well, if what I took away from the party was what I read over many hundred pages at ttlg, I got the impression that:

TDP was perfect. So, why bother to add to it?
T:TMA wasn't perfect, but as was made by LG, is beyond reproach.
TDS sh*t!
TH(four)F all out apoplexy.

Actually TDP, while having a fun story, had those terrible missions where you had to kill zombies and dinosaurs and shit. Those parts of the game are generally panned, and if you notice, have not really been revisited in the Thief series in like... ever.

TMA was probably the best from gameplay terms, and I actually did not *hate* TDS so much as it felt completely uninspired for me except for in certain areas like the haunted mission (that everyone things is a masterpiece). Oh and TDS had you wandering around on that fucking plague ship with zombies so they had to go back to the parts that people hated.

As for this? I don't even particularly feel like it's a Thief game. Different actor, different story, different gameplay focus, it's just leveraging the IP really.

And as for Fallout 3, I liked it, it was fun, but it's always been Elder Scrolls with Guns for me more than Fallout.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
48. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 17:12 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 12:09:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:40:
What gets me is the hatred for QTE's here

You broke the sentence in two and took it totally out of context.

"What gets me is the hatred for QTE's here, but there is a low level love of adventure games here."

QTE's are okay in a certain context with limited usage IF AND ONLY IF they contribute to gameplay. Just making sure you're paying attention to the cutscene is not contributing to gameplay.

Plus, this game's QTE's sound like the absolute worst kind of QTE: the sporradic one without warning. You know, where you have like 4 QTEs during the game and zero warning that they're going to happen and then they never happen again.

The only thing worse is the Devil May Cry cutscene QTEs. You know, where you flip out and kill everyone in the room and do shit that *would* be fucking amazing if you could actually do it in the game, but you never ever get a chance to actually do that shit in the game, it only happens in the QTE cutscene.

It's not that QTE's suck, it's that they're a very narrowly limited gameplay function and yet they're overused by several orders of magnitude. Usually it's shit like "OMG KNOCK THE DUDE OUT BEFORE HE REACTS!" QTEs or the omnipresent FPS knife fight QTE. Yay. Yawn.

One of the better QTE examples I can point to is Gears of War and their active reloading "minigame". That's a QTE in all it's glory, that can be popped off by players when they want, you can bypass it if you want (wait to reload), and if you get good at it, it sets up a rhythm and a small damage bonus if you make use of it. It's unobtrusive and well done.

News Comments > Dex Kickstarter
7. Re: Dex Kickstarter Nov 13, 2013, 17:47 Flatline

Spektr wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 11:57:
I think everyone could get a crappy game anyway. . Everyone will want to check that the game is nowhere as lame as its name before trusting them with your money.I mean come on "dex", even if the game was called etsoiehzefdfxx it wouldnt sound so bad. Well I wouldnt judge a book by its cover but if the writer can't come up with anything but a lame ass title for it I won't give a second look.

Actually it looks kind of cool for a 2d game :p

I can name off the top of my head 2 absolutely classic Cyberpunk novels that call very specific drugs "dex", and it's also used in several scifi novels I've read. As far as a name is concerned, it's genre-fitting.

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month
8. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Expansion Next Month Nov 13, 2013, 17:44 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 13:17:
I liked it but the lack of a map generator killed it.

I'm sensing a pattern here on you and map generators.

Anyway, it was... okay... I enjoyed it right up until I didn't enjoy it at all. Which was like 2 or 3 levels in.

I would have preferred there to be some repercussions for your tactical decisions. Some dude with a knife is obsolete once you get a shotgun. What I would like to see is a tradeoff: yeah, the Tommy Gun can mow down anything, but that much gunfire and a "cowboy" style fight would bring police from every corner of the neighborhood and bring the heat down like crazy.

Plus, I'd like to see stuff like shakedowns and lower, smaller-scale stuff throughout the game so that your thugs who punch or use a knife are A. Still useful and B. Are preferable to gun toting thugs.

Guns and blood are bad for business. I'd like to see a risk/reward system where the more bloody you get the more the other families are pissed at you and the more heat comes down.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending
34. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 17:38 Flatline

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 10:20:
Sho wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 10:16:
El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 09:54:
A Berliner would say: Ick bin een Berliner. Right, Sho? ;)

Right on.
That seems like Swedish or something, not German. And anyway, it should be "Ich bin Berliner!" if you're talking about being a person of Berlin. Otherwise you're saying something completely different.

And none of this has to do with Shadowrun Returns. Therefore, um... What the hell is wrong with Steam? I've experienced zero issues with it. O.o

Some people had meweling purple kittens when it was announced the game would be steam-centric. During the kickstarter they promised backers DRM free software. While they delivered that to kickstarters it wasn't enough because apparently on that shoestring budget Hairbrained should have created a centralized distribution mod database system in addition to delivering a longer game with more content and free hookers and blow for everyone who ordered.

These are often the same people who when a new, great game comes out they'll automatically post "waiting for the 5 dollar steam sale".

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - XCOM: Enemy Within Nov 12, 2013, 16:46 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 12:59:
No, we didn't ask for more maps, we asked for a random map generator! No sale!

Probably not doable in this engine.

However, I heard 45 new maps and they recooked all the old maps. One reviewer said he was halfway through the game before he saw a recognizable EU map.

Besides, there's some cool set pieces apparently. 60 or 70 maps scratches my "god we need more maps" bug.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea Episode 1 Nov 12, 2013, 16:42 Flatline

I don't give a shit. I bought the season pass. Xcom and Burial at Sea? Hell yeah.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
6. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 10, 2013, 19:37 Flatline

GL1zdA wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 17:45:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 13:32:
Blizzard president Mike Morhaime on razing Diablo 3's auction house, rebuilding Titan

"I think our players recognized that. We were really looking to see what would happen with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions, because they don't have an auction house. The response to the console versions was extremely positive, and most people cited the lack of an auction house."

Well, that and the offline mode.

They created the auction house to undercut or compete with black market gold farmers. I get that. The problem is that they took the additional step of designing the loot system so that it forced you to the auction house. That's where they screwed the pooch. Had they made a complete game that stood alone, THEN added in the auction house, I don't think you would have seen nearly the same number of complaints.
I don't think they designed the loot system around the AH. If you remember loot from D2 or LoD, it was similar to what we have got in D3. It was hard to have nice items in D2/LoD without trading, and before 1.10, after several trades, you could have a character who would slay everything on Hell in any location. The same worked in D3, except for insane champions/unique monsters (Invincible-Molter-Jailer and similar), but they simply adjusted the difficulty.

I don't get why people want offline mode in Diablo 3 - a game where you know the story after 10 hours and after that you only look for loot so your character can be more leet than others and you play with others to socialize. Diablo single player is like drinking alone, it's the last step before the border between being a nerd and a lunatic.

You obviously haven't seen all the video of hardcore players who spent tons of time on their characters being killed by mystical lag bubbles and shit.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC
1. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion: Stellar Phenomena DLC Nov 7, 2013, 22:53 Flatline

Man they're still milking this game. It was good back in the day but this DLC isn't enough to make me come back after playing off and on for like 8 years.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2013, 18:33 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 18:06:
Beamer wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 14:14:
Didn't that company that used to do all the benchmarking apps but then split in half release an FPS that took place in space and looked awesome but no one played that had the recoil physics sending people around (I kind of love that rambling run-on sentence.)

The infinite spawn in space comment someone made below is hysterical. I guess it made arguably sense in an urban war (still bad design), but space? That's just indefensible.

That game was called Shattered Horizons, and the reason it didn't sell is because it was online multiplayer only. It lacked single player campaign, bots, or other SP modes. It had a dearth of weapons and levels. I thought the game looked great, but wasn't interested in paying for what was essentially a tech demo.

I played it. You had a jetpack and newtonian physics. It was actually a lot of fun. Pretty unforgiving though.

And the reason why it didn't sell much was because it *required* PhysX to run. You had to have an nVidia card or you went home.

News Comments > Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013
12. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:49 Flatline

Verno wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 13:47:
Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:22:
ME 2 wasn't as good as 1 for me, and I've never bothered to try 3. I bought 3 on a big discount, but I've heard the ending is terrible and it means I have to re-install Origin, so I have been dragging ass on it.

ME1 had bigger levels and was more immersive. People knocked the procedurally generated planets but most planets are empty and boring so I had no problem with them. The bigger issue was getting around, the Make took way too long to get you anywhere. ME2 felt like a series of corridors, not a convincing universe and the story was beyond stupid. ME3 is a bit of a mix between the two and is widely considered to be a solid compromise but unfortunately that ending and a set of broken promises cast a pall over the whole trilogy.

It wasn't just broken promises, it was a failing of the entire premise of the game: choices that matter and reciprocate.

None of your decisions in games 1 & 2 impact the end-o-tron 3000 at the end of the game. Just the two meters in 3 impact it. Which sucks. Hard.

News Comments > Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013
10. Re: Happy Mass Effect N7 Day 2013 Nov 7, 2013, 13:42 Flatline

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2013, 12:22:
ME 2 wasn't as good as 1 for me, and I've never bothered to try 3. I bought 3 on a big discount, but I've heard the ending is terrible and it means I have to re-install Origin, so I have been dragging ass on it.

ME1 had a better story to be sure. Not as good gameplay, but a stronger story to be sure.

However, ME2 will always hold a dear spot to me because they wrote in Talia's romance option, and whoever wrote that in ME2 and 3 wrote probably my favorite Bioware romance option of all time.

The funny thing about ME3 is that up to that point there are some extremely poignant stories told. Mordin's story made the room get dusty, and they even made me give a rat's ass about Legion.

That ending though... Ungh... Even the extended cut was kind of meh.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
42. Re: Dog! Nov 5, 2013, 19:56 Flatline

Even Gametrailers gave it a 7, which is... hurting. GT.com always sucks the CoD cawk and they were saying that it's been there, done that to the Nth degree. They also made a specific statement that the XBone has an embargo on it so they can't review it. WTF?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
31. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:57 Flatline

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 20:02:
If they were smart they'd ignore their own stretch goals

Wow. You really are an idiot. Unless it's your plan to completely shit-can crowd-funded games.

Basically at this point unless this game comes with a Taiwanese hooker that sucks you off while you play (the 29 million dollar stretch goal) and is the bestest. game. ever. it will torpedo any ambitious crowd-funded project for the forseeable future, because everyone will snicker and invoke Star Citizen.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 5, 2013, 02:54 Flatline

KTR wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 19:25:
Linthat22 wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 18:47:
And yet ANOTHER stretch goal *sigh*

To be fair, the community voted to continue with the stretch goals.

To be fair, the community has no fucking clue what it costs to implement some shit, let alone polish it and make it fun.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Known Issues
36. Re: Battlefield 4 Known Issues Nov 4, 2013, 16:14 Flatline

RollinThundr wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 10:01:
Verno wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 09:22:
Really glad I held off on this, a friend of mine picked it up and has told me about all of the various lag, crash and etc problems. BF3 wasn't that bad of a launch all things considered, surprised Dice regressed so much here.

Battlefield 3 was just as bad at launch, terrible lag, battlelog groups not working right, getting dropped from servers left and right. When you have one of the biggest AAA releases of the year, and it's primarily a multiplayer title, there's going to be issues at launch. This should be expected at this point since it happens every time.

Every Battlefield launch has been terrible. Period. Shit isn't there still bugs in like Battlefied 2 or some previous game that they just didn't bother ever fixing?

I can generally give online games an early pass on issues but fuck DICE is infamous for buggy pieces of shit all the way back to the original Battlefield 1942.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
47. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 16:03 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:47:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:42:
ItBurn wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 15:35:
Remove Bioshock infinite(it's the definition of taking something and making it mass market to make more money). Add Star Citizen and other Kickstarter projects(I guess your list is only released games though).

I thought about SC, but it's open to criticism that it's just sucking cash, and also it hasn't come out yet.

Also, Bio Infinite: wow, really? A game that took almost five years to make with a unique setting, great world building, great story telling, and you think this was a mass market cash grab? I think it was an risky venture. The safe move would have been to make Bioshock 3. It would have come out sooner, and they would have had more confidence in it selling more.

Bioshock was built on top of the popularity of System Shock and was nothing like it. They probably wanted to make a new System Shock game, but no publisher would agree to it, so they made this mass market game full of linear corridors and classic Call of Duty gameplay. Granted, the story and art style was above average. The sole existence of this game is because publishers didn't want the awesome game(system shock 3), but were ok with using it as leverage for more money.

As far as Infinite goes, it still has the Bioshock name, so no diff.

Err... No. The System Shock license is stuck in limbo due to Looking Glass Studios going under the way they did. You also are admitting to knowing fuck-all about the development of the original Bioshock and passing off your fuck-all as actual knowledge.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but have you played SS2 lately? It... didn't hold up well. And it's still one of my all-time favorite game experiences. Tissue-paper weapons that break every 8 uses, having to plug massive amounts of XP into research to wield a giant stick, an incredibly clunky inventory system, and other gameplay design elements that aren't as awesome as you remember. Let's not forget the terrible, atrocious, pasted on ending that even the devs admitted was just kind of thrown together last minute ("NAH!!!" *BANG* End of game). And you accuse Call of Duty of being a corridor shooter when literally that's ALL that SS2 was. Lots of corridors and randomly spawning enemies and a piss poor combat system.

System Shock 1 was even worse. Terrible controls, about as intuitive as sanskrit, and the story wasn't as strong as SS2.

This hipster idea that old games that play like shit are somehow superior to games that play smoothly or are fun to play is kind of annoying. God forbid we smooth gameplay out so that it doesn't feel like we're manipulating spreadsheets while we have a great story experience.

Anybody can make a system more complex. It takes real talent though to make something truly simpler and improve on the gaming experience.

News Comments > Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans
32. Re: Bungie on Lack of PC Destiny Plans Nov 4, 2013, 14:29 Flatline

Someone needs to bookmark this thread for the inevitable announcement where Bungee says they're dropping last gen hardware to "focus on a completely next-generation experience" and then still blow off PC ports.  

News Comments > Thief Trailer
6. Re: Thief Trailer Nov 1, 2013, 15:17 Flatline

Creston wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 13:30:
The whole Basso character makes no sense to me. He's the one that sends Garret on thieving 'missions.' Garret is supposed to be a Master Thief, why the fuck does he need a guy to send him on 'missions?'

It's so bad that if you break into an apartment and try to steal what's in the apt's vault, you can't actually DO so until Basso has given you the mission for it. (this is literally from a dev's mouth.)

The reason they gave for that decision? "It would make Basso useless otherwise."

Well, I guess the character IS useless then, and you could have saved yourself $100K in voice acting expenses.

I can understand contracts and requests and "jobs" that Garret is hired to do. Hell that's the whole plot of the first game (remember being contracted by Viktoria?).

Plus, it's not like Garrett goes through the city inventorying everything. He has to find out about juicy loot somehow. I imagine he's got all kinds of people on the payroll. Rat your boss out and get a fat sack of gold in exchange. Nobody has to know.

The problem here is that they're trying to make the appearance of an open world mesh with specific missions. Which sucks.

Holy shit I just watched that clip... That's some terrible voice acting.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut Oct 25, 2013, 13:24 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Oct 25, 2013, 10:12:
Yeah it would have been hard to be more vague and confusing about that second screen thing...

Also the new game+ is kind of a let down... I mean they could have added something more to it...

You mean like how pretty much every other game in existence that offers New Game+ doesn't actually add fuck-all to the game?

I don't see how it's a letdown seeing as how it's exactly what New Game+ is.

1952 Comments. 98 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo