Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2504 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed
26. Re: Gone Gold - The Witcher 3; Two Expansions Revealed Apr 8, 2015, 14:36 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 19:19:
ForgedReality wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 18:40:
I'll wait for the Extended/Director's Cut/Whatever The Fuck Else They Decide To Call It to go on sale for $15.

Same here though I might actually get that definitive version for full price depending on the reviews. Best possible experience and all that. I hate this chopping up of content piecemeal crap. Probably no Witcher 3 for me before 2017 for this reason but who cares. Game ain't goin' nowhere...

Chopped up content? The devs said they haven't started working on the expansion yet. The devs are also famous for giving away epic amounts of free stuff "just 'cuz", and there's nothing suggesting they won't do it again this time.

Christ you people are such fucking tightwads I bet I could shove a charcoal briquette up your ass and you'd cough up a diamond.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 14:47 Flatline

Undocumented Alien wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 13:29:
iPad = Apples; Surface 3 = Oranges

I used my 3rd generation iPad for my software consulting for ~ 2 years, it's a nice device, low low tech support needed, it just runs. Of course has tons of apps to choose from.

I just got my new Surface 3 Pro a few days ago, iPad has been handed down to my 7 y/o, iPad can't hold a candle to the productivity that the Surface 3 Pro can accomplish. Yes, it has less apps to choose from than the iPad but I can run all Windows programs and even play Pillars of Eternity (via STEAM) on it during those long flights. I can even run a Hyper-V image or two on it. For a "Tablet" that's just a little bigger than an iPad I'm blown away with the device.

iPad is a good entertainment device with lite productivity capabilities. IMHO, the Surface 3 (Pro) gives you that and more. IMHO, it does indeed "Kill it" unless you can't live w/o Clash of Clans.

I finally stopped using the ipad 2. They keep pushing out software updates and like an idiot I took the jump to iOS 8. I should have stayed on 7.

Now my ipad is basically a brick. Chrome stopped working and crashes *constantly*. The iOS is slow and glitchy as hell. Even Safari crashes constantly, takes minutes to load basic pages, and all in all I can read ebooks on the device and play some games on it that still run just fine and that's really it.

Apple's enforced obsolescence finally drove me out of their ecosystem. I mean, my cell phone is 2 years old and has had 4 major android revisions pushed to it and it still runs as smooth, if not smoother, than the day I got it. It never crashes.

I'd love a Surface 3 pro but I can't justify it. I have multiple laptops, an ipad, multiple desktops... I know it'd be useful but not useful enough to drop the money on it that I'd have to drop to be happy. Maybe when the travel laptop dies I"ll pull the trigger on the surface. I used the pro 2 at a previous job and it was dead sexy.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 22:41 Flatline

Squirmer wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 19:35:
I don't think Cutter read the article.

Cutter spewing off without knowing what he's talking about?

STOP THE PRESS!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 22:40 Flatline

4D-Boxing wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 16:42:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 12:31:
And why would massive public or private enterprises need, much less want, to spend a fortune upgrading needlessly? If most people are just using Word and Excel why would you needlessly spend tens of millions of dollars on new hardware and software licenses? Obviously MS isn't giving them enough incentive to want to change.

You're absolutely correct. That being said, the home depot breach could be an incentive if embedded XP is part of these numbers. Scary the amount of cash registers and ATMs that use the first unsupported versions and skipped updates to the last version of embedded XP.

This is web traffic. If your ATM is being used to surf the web you've got bigger problems.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 3, 2015, 13:09 Flatline

That number is slightly disingenuous though. It doesn't specify if XP is legitimate or not. It just looks like a survey of operating systems based on web traffic so I doubt if it *can* differentiate. I imagine most of XP at this point is out of 3rd world countries and probably illicit software.

Also, Windows 8 is segregated into 8.0 and 8.1, which is silly. When you combine the two XP and 8 are basically on par with each other in market utilization. I can understand that: Metro is an abomination. The OS underneath it I actually prefer in most ways to 7. 2012 server is actually my favorite iteration of Windows Server in a long time, they do a lot right in it, but for some reason they decided to shoehorn in metro on top of that, which is beyond an abomination. Touch interfaces have no place in a server environment.

At this point, there's no reason for most enterprises to be on XP still, and due to the EOL on security, many reasons *not* to be on XP. Software development has ceased for XP generally, Office 2013 doesn't work very well on XP, and Office 2010 has distinct limits in an enterprise environment that make it painful to use. Not to mention that 64 bit XP is kind of a dump. XP was a 32 bit system through and through and we've passed beyond those limitations in anything but the most painfully basic computing requirements.

10 will probably get significant saturation. The free upgrade for non-enterprise users of 7 and 8 will go a long way towards that, but also just the refresh cycle of 3 years or so for business to go through hardware matches up with 10 being a strong contender for new adoption. You refresh software every other hardware cycle roughly.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 1, 2015, 17:01 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2015, 10:12:
Anyone that lazy should be shot on general principle.

We're thinking of using it for my 85 year old grandmother with early Alzheimer's disease that can't get out of the house any more on her own. There's several staples like toilet paper, soap, whatever, that we could set up for her. Since it goes to a cell phone I could monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Because it doesn't reset until after delivery I don't have to worry about her hitting it eleventy billion times a day.

It'd give her a little bit of agency and let her feel like she's still taking care of herself somewhat. And that's important for someone who is adjusting to being basically helpless.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
87. Re: Into the Black Mar 31, 2015, 12:55 Flatline

descender wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 11:47:
"If there is no dogfight there is no space sim"

The general public's understanding of "flight in space" is hilariously misinformed.

There will never be a dogfight in space. Ever. Lots of long range ballistics, orbital maneuvers and "jousting" are much more realistic than the limited imagination of "flight mechanics in space".

"Realistically" most of the combat would probably be done a thousand years from now using drones and AI. If a human was involved they'd probably get strapped into a high-G bed, be put to sleep for the duration of the combat since you couldn't like, do anything, and your computer would do the fighting for you. You'd either wake up or you wouldn't.

But that would be a boring fucking game so we take liberties with reality to make a fun game.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
22. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 12:08 Flatline

Zor wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 10:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:58:
Zor wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 09:51:
However, since Star Citizen isn't a competitive e-sport or MOBA or something, I'm not sure how people can argue the notion of there being any kind of win condition at all.

Hey I don't know if this will be pay to win, but your definition isn't mine. It doesn't have to be straight up 100% versus game to be P2W in my book. There is plenty going on in SC, that if it does certain things will surely be considered PTW.

I still feel with the hate this game makes there should be two factions, one that bought the pre-release ships vs everyone else. To me that makes a nice line in the sand for sides.

I get your point, but I'd like to make another. The game isn't a theme park; there are no player levels; there is no "gear grind" per say. It's supposed to be a virtual world and economic simulation where your measure of success (or, winning the game) can and will be vastly different from anyone else. With that perspective in mind, can the game ever truly be pay to win? In other words, how do I win the game against or before you when you and I have completely separate goals for the game? Or even on a per-character basis?

I could spend $45 on the game while you spend $4,500. We could then both put in 6 months of time in the game, and yet you would likely never impact my playing experience at all, much less likely ever encounter me, in game. And if you did, it being a skill-based game means our financial investment is null and void. One of us may have a bigger more expensive ship, but then it comes down to player skill to decide friend from foe and then running from a fight (if there is one) or picking one (if there isn't). Course, your larger ship may be a trade vessel, which means nothing when faced with, say, the ship in the subject of this article. If a non-combat ship is your investment, then let's hope you're playing with friends and hired guns that want to play as your security detail.

Or, for the sake of further diversity, let's say I'm in a large exploration ship and you're in a small one, and both of us come across a potential new jump point in the same system. I may have put up a larger pledge to get that ship, while you spent no real cash and bought it in the game after 3 months of in-game earnings. Then it turns out the jump point is only navigable by smaller ships, and I can't even bother with it in my larger one.

Point though, none of that actually *exists* right now. You're going by pure sales-pitch. None of that is even in pre-alpha. You're taking CR et al entirely on faith.

So instead of stating that these concepts exist in a game you can imminently play, you need to amend all that with "it's a goal in the design docs" and "it's planned" basically everywhere.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week
18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Support; Patch Next Week Mar 28, 2015, 03:29 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 21:49:
I absolutely hate casters so far and how they work and the spells aren't very good either. Low level casters need the ability to cast way more and battles are so fast it's almost pointless casting de/buffs and stuff.

We'll see how things progress but I'm not loving this right now.

You'd hate blowjobs, rainbows, and puppies if given the chance.

Also, you're spoiled by your 4th edition D&D bullshit where casters are like, functional at level 1 & shit. I remember old school casters where you cast your spell, you threw your dagger, and you ran the fuck away. Because you had a single hit point.

Until Level 6, when Fireball and Lightning Bolt came online, and you turned into Death Incarnate.

Old School D&D was always about managing the battlefield until casters came online.

As far as endurance/health, I'm okay with it. It's actually not that far removed from the idea of Wounds/Vitality in some of the D20 hacks.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Released
110. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 28, 2015, 03:26 Flatline

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 17:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 17:10:
Also, easter egg "You have to assemble your party to continue" Just happened once so far.

I ran across the same, and I have to say I laughed hard at it. Also the person they picked for that and narration is just great.

I got "you must gather your party before venturing forth" and was like "I'm home!"

45. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 19:02 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 17:35:
One of the few kick starter successes that delivers.

Granted I mostly backed board games, but my Kickstarter history has been pretty tasty. Looking at my list D-Day Dice sucks because while I got a metric assload of stuff I also ordered the line for life since like 10 more products were announced. The company is being sued out of existence over an unrelated issue that blew up a year or so after the kickstarter so that sucks. But I arguably got my 100 bucks worth.

Other than that, there's Star Citizen that hasn't "delivered" yet. Everything else either has to my satisfaction or is on schedule.

39. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 17:24 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 15:13:
Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 14:10:
Wooohooo! Congrats, Obsidian, and thanks to everyone who KS'ed!

And a big hearty FUCK YOU to every publisher who said these kind of games weren't in demand anymore and couldn't be done anymore. FUCK YOU.

What some publishers seem to fail to realize, is that old people don't want change... And we're at a point where a lot of gamers are old people (hence the success of this site ; )... And who has the most disposable income? Old people... : )

I'd say it's the opposite. We can only take so many SpunkGargleWeeWee FPS games and need to cleanse our palate.

What it suggests is that there's a market for longer, more involved games still. 6 hour SP games doesn't satisfy.

37. Re: Pillars of Eternity Released Mar 26, 2015, 17:15 Flatline

Between Elite, my copy of the Diablo 3 expansion for 20 bucks, Alien Isolation, the urge to replay Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, this, and the upcoming Witcher 3, it's a good time to be a gamer.

Bad time to have a job or other responsibilities but a good time to be a gamer.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
25. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 26, 2015, 13:25 Flatline

18 gigs for an isometric static-art RPG?

How f*cking big is this thing?

News Comments > SideQuest Explained
6. Re: SideQuest Explained Mar 24, 2015, 17:22 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 00:34:
It is definitely a little 2D web game you play while watching a live streaming video. What I'm not quite sure of is whether the stream is supposed to be like a dungeon master guy controlling things and showing visual aids, or if it can be completely independent of the stream (implying the video content is so boring people need to occupy their time watching with a dinky little web game), or both...

Gotcha. They should be paying you for that.

News Comments > WoW Tokens Near
7. Re: WoW Tokens Near Mar 24, 2015, 14:54 Flatline

BicycleRepairMan wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 13:40:
So, out of curiosity, because I have never ever, ever played wow or any other MMO, what the hell is a token? Reading the description, it sounds alot like ingame currency, whats the point if there is gold already? Basically you pay $20 real money for a token that you can sell for pretend money gold? I guess this is why I dont play MMOs or F2P.

It's a way for Blizzard to finally get in on that sweet, sweet Cash for Gold market

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
8. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 14:51 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 14:47:
Hmm I don't know Lito, they didn't ultimate edition DA2 or Mass Effect 2/3 for that matter. It's weird, correct me if I'm wrong but they seemed to have stopped bundling Bioware DLC. They did bundle up Mass Effect into a trilogy but IIRC ME2 and ME3 are without DLC included. I suspect EA makes more money on the DLC separately so they keep doing it that way on purpose.

It makes sense. You discount the game down to 20 bucks or 10 bucks or whatever and people pick it up cheap... then they spend 30 dollars on all the full priced DLC and bring an otherwise bargain game almost up to the cost of a new price point.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released
2. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Jaws of Hakkon DLC Released Mar 24, 2015, 13:54 Flatline

Well now we know what they were doing instead of patching the game.  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched
16. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched Mar 23, 2015, 17:55 Flatline

Also 800 megs for 15 bug fixes?  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched
4. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patched Mar 23, 2015, 13:54 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 23, 2015, 13:45:
This really isn't the Bioware of old, or even the Bioware of Dragon Age:Origins.

Still, I'll try this game in a year or so, after some more patches and the price has dropped below $10.

I got it for... 30 or so. I definitely got my money's worth at that price point. I mean, I put in like 70 hours into the game.

It seems like some of their junior writers are really, really good. I mean, the staff writers for Mass Effect 3 were churning out some of the best writing that I saw in the series. Same here. They were able to turn a character I didn't particularly care about (Varric) into someone that I really liked in one scene (The card game scene. It's actually one of my favorite moments from the game.). So like, there's some *great* writers still in Bioware. It's confusing sometimes.

2504 Comments. 126 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo