Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2539 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Invisible, Inc. Appears
6. Re: Invisible, Inc. Appears May 13, 2015, 12:13 Flatline

nin wrote on May 13, 2015, 10:49:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 13, 2015, 10:35:
Mark of the Ninja was really good, so I've got high hopes for this one. Sounds pretty good already. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay.

Reviews have been very good. I like the fact that you can tweak the gameplay as you see fit.

edit: And another.

I got in at the alpha early access when it was on an absurdly good sale. Even then it was pretty polished and a lot of fun. I can easily reccomend it. It was pretty tough to beat too last time I played it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Invisible, Inc. Appears
5. Re: Invisible, Inc. Appears May 13, 2015, 12:12 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 13, 2015, 10:13:
This game sounds like a definite $5 or less sale pickup.

Dude I don't think I've *ever* seen you say "why yes, this game is worth full retail price!"

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule
72. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 19:05 Flatline

saluk wrote on May 12, 2015, 18:41:
You can travel ANYWHERE on the ship in ACIV - but most people will use warping and see many load screens during their travels.

I've been wanting an Age of Sail game for so long that when AC4 came out I... refused to fast-travel. I literally will only sail in that game and not fast travel because it's probably the last age of sail centric game I'll play for a long, LONG time.

61. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:54 Flatline

Verno wrote on May 12, 2015, 14:31:
Flatline wrote on May 12, 2015, 14:20:

It's interesting that the only real criticism of the game is "it's not skyrim".

Anyone even remotely familiar with Witcher games will know that it's not Skyrim. I guess someone, somewhere, at some point, made the comparison to Skyrim and goddamn it that's going to be the metric that they use to measure the game by.

Err the devs themselves use Skyrim as a comparison tool so the media and consumers can be forgiven IMO.

Saying it's as "big" as skyrim is a pretty nebulous assertion. I could take that about a dozen different ways.

I know they have used the reference in the past although for the life of me I can't remember reading about it. I guess I always mind-caulked that over and assumed it'd be a Legend of Zelda style "open world" as opposed to an Elder Scrolls sort of game.

55. Re: The Witcher 3 Preloads Confirmed; Release Schedule May 12, 2015, 14:20 Flatline

Slick wrote on May 12, 2015, 13:38:
gamesradar so far has the most negative review that I've found, still a strong %80.

It's an interesting read (although i'm skimming all of these), focusing on how it's not really an "open world game". apparently you're strongly guided through missions in the order that the game wants you to take.

It's interesting that the only real criticism of the game is "it's not skyrim".

Anyone even remotely familiar with Witcher games will know that it's not Skyrim. I guess someone, somewhere, at some point, made the comparison to Skyrim and goddamn it that's going to be the metric that they use to measure the game by.

News Comments > The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute
35. Re: The Witcher 3 GMG Key Dispute May 8, 2015, 11:51 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:30:
It's bullshit. CDProject is engaging in anti competitive behavior because they want to be the only place to buy keys for the game online.

This is blatantly false: You can buy keys for W3 *all over the place*.

In fact, considering that GMG is eating the cost of the discount to intentionally spite CDPR and other key resellers, I'd say that it's GMG who is participating in anti-competitive behavior. That's classic monopoly behavior right there.

And to be frank we don't know what each side was requesting in a deal to resell keys. It's possible that GMG was asking for something in their deal that was completely unreasonable- extra discounts beyond what was offered to other people or exclusivity or something else like that. We really don't know why GMG was denied when like a dozen other resellers were approved. It suggests to me that something in doing business with GMG was unsavory to CDPR.

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
27. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 8, 2015, 11:15 Flatline

Darks wrote on May 7, 2015, 17:44:
saluk wrote on May 7, 2015, 16:56:
I never heard of these Star Trek adventure games. As a PnC fanatic, and someone who enjoys trek enough, I don't know how I missed them.

Maybe because you were to young?

25th Anniversary has the distinction of being the first PC game bought specifically for me, for Christmas. We ran it on our Packard Bell 386.

Also, for anyone that released the laughing gas in that one level...

"Ooka Ooka Ooka!"

Spoiler:
McCoy says the silliest shit under the effects of laughing gas

20. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 14:57 Flatline

Parias wrote on May 7, 2015, 14:40:
Flatline wrote on May 7, 2015, 14:28:
ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:28:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:24:
Needs: Bridge Commander and Klingon Academy. I enjoyed KA way, way, way more than BC.
Agreed. If you're going to release a Star Trek collection I guess you need to include Starfleet Academy, but it wasn't a very good game (the phasers weren't even phasers!). Klingon Academy was vastly superior as far as gameplay goes.

On the other hand, I'm glad they've included 25th and Judgement to start things off. Those are some excellent games all-around.

Klingon Academy was a Taldren game if memory serves. At least, they used all the models from Starfleet Command.

Nah, Klingon Academy was an Interplay / 14 Degrees East endeavour AFAIK - Taldren wasn't involved. I don't think they could just bring over the SFC models either because they needed ships that were a lot more detailed for the "ginsu" model the game had -- the functionality that let ships dynamically break up into different chunks and pieces based on damage received.

They may not have been the exact same meshes but they were the same basic models and textures. Nobody else has ever had giant flying staplers for Gorn CCs in particular and the battleships all used the same layout.

It's entirely possible that the art assets started for KA were released first in SFC. KA came out in 2000, while SFC came out in 99.

On the plus side if you are a masochist and enjoyed SFC2 apparently a rather large community has inherited the program and has updated it to windows 7 and gotten the dyna working. Finally. 6 bucks for the game isn't bad at all either. I remember when Taldren turned over Dyna development back in '04 to them and never thought anything would come of it. Glad to see it's still thriving.

Dynaverse.net

14. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 14:28 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:28:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:24:
Needs: Bridge Commander and Klingon Academy. I enjoyed KA way, way, way more than BC.
Agreed. If you're going to release a Star Trek collection I guess you need to include Starfleet Academy, but it wasn't a very good game (the phasers weren't even phasers!). Klingon Academy was vastly superior as far as gameplay goes.

On the other hand, I'm glad they've included 25th and Judgement to start things off. Those are some excellent games all-around.

Klingon Academy was a Taldren game if memory serves. At least, they used all the models from Starfleet Command.

God that brings back memories. I know most people didn't like it (it was basically Starfleet Battles board game on the computer) but I played the F*CK out of SFC2. Too bad the multiverse/multiplayer mode never panned out for Taldren.

Edit: KA was a 14 degrees east production, which I guess was a precursor to Taldren

This comment was edited on May 7, 2015, 14:39.

News Comments > Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter
23. Re: Starfighter Inc. Kickstarter May 6, 2015, 12:01 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 5, 2015, 19:42:
Yup, MP only. SP isn't even a stretch goal. At the very least they could do offline MP with bots. "Multiplayer space warfare from the minds behind X-Wing, Crysis and Desert Combat." All games/mods that had substantial single player options.

These people never learn.

When was the last time we had a narrative single player starfighter campaign like in X-Wing or Wing Commander? I know we're getting one in Squadron 42, but I can't remember the last time we had one. Anyone?

Freespace 2 jumps out but I believe Tachyon came out afterwards. And shame for not remembering that one, it not only had Bruce Campbell as the VO of the main character but it had one of the coolest team based multiplayer modes I ever saw. Each team had a base that started out invulnerable and you had to build your base up using limited resources to destroy the other base's invulnerability so you could fly in and destroy the f*ck out of the enemy's base.

Edit: I'm on the fence on this one. I'm intrigued and there's still a 16 dollar early bird deal which isn't bad.

I might pass on kickstarter but I'll watch this regardless.

This comment was edited on May 6, 2015, 12:07.

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
23. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 11:32 Flatline

InBlack wrote on May 6, 2015, 09:38:
Yeah great news....except there is nothing really newsworthy about an estimated date that basically covers a whole quarter of a year and will inevitabely be delayed. If they had at least hinted at specs or something, anything other than pure fucking HYPE. *sigh*

Considering all the rumors put this at Q4 of this year... there's some news in it not hitting for the holidays.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup May 4, 2015, 15:24 Flatline

- Shoot
*missed*
*Next turn*
- Reload
*Next Turn*
- Reload
* Next turn*
- Reload
*Next Turn*
- Shoot

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 4, 2015, 13:17 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2015, 12:41:
Great concept but requires real money and a real team of devs to do it justice.

Agreed.

My thought process went

"hey that's a great idea!" *click*

"No art other than the video? 10k GBP funding goal? 'Hyper-realistic' anything? Those are warning signs. Fine let's watch the video..."

*click*

"Wow... it looks like a quake 1 mod. Good luck with that."

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
40. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 15:25 Flatline

PHJF wrote on May 1, 2015, 13:06:
The problem with tech demos is they have no scope. It's all fine and good making a perfect-looking five minute animation, but good luck developing a forty-hour RPG that looks like that.

If you want to jump the uncanny valley and make some truly empathetic digital actors, what you need to do is to first study, and I mean really study- high res mocap probably isn't enough- all the extremely subtle body language associated with different emotional states and different levels of repression of those emotional states creating animation packages of humanoid figures that exhibit emotion-based non-vocal cues. Then you create a program that you use emotions and repression states for those emotions as a palate to create a "pigment" of emotional state. So you take a daub of sadness that's being repressed and throw in a lot of physically visual fear and maybe in each scene throw in anger visual cues that build and aren't repressed at all. This gets overlaid on your macro animations resulting in "subconsious" non-verbal communication that is constantly being relayed to the viewer regardless of the animations that the main animators rig. The question at this point is if you rig the emotion palate before the macro animations so that the animators can customize the animations to the non-verbal cues or if you apply it afterwards so that the non-verbal cues conform to the animations.

It'd take a lot of work to build the package but it's entirely doable with the state of AI today. It'd also be really resource intensive and end up probably being pre-baked animations, but in the future there's no reason the emotion palate couldn't be generated in real time as computing power grows.

Edit: The idea behind this is that as the fidelity and graphical quality of digital actors increase (and we are reaching photorealism), animation will need to incorporate more and more subtlety. Right now we're still at the point where we can frequently get away with Theatre level body movements to express body language (in theater everyone sits away from the action and gestures are amplified to let the people in the cheap seats realize motion) but as we pull in on digital actors and bring them closer to the uncanny valley we'll need them to have more and more detail just standing there breathing to maintain suspension of disbelief and empathy. This quickly scales out of control for even dedicated animators and while there are tricks that can be used, sooner or later we'll have to start mimicking the biological and physical reactions of people at a system level. We can't puppet master every twitch or finger fidget.

This comment was edited on May 1, 2015, 15:31.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
31. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 12:31 Flatline

Slick wrote on May 1, 2015, 10:13:
wow, those skin shaders, those lips, the eyes, fucking breathtaking.

how can you all watch the same video I just did, and only walk away with: "well, this is dumb, i'm not gonna buy 4x titans to run this? This is stupid, who cares?"

It's impressive, but we've been seeing graphics like that come out of Hollywood for a while now so it's not like life-altering.

Also these people have twisted what "uncanny valley" means. It's the point where you get realistic enough to humans that your brain kicks in and starts applying your expectations of body language and all the non-verbal ques we normally pick up on. When those are absent, the discord, creepiness, and lack of empathy that we experience is called the "uncanny valley" because otherwise our identification to the subject increases as the realism increases.

In fact, this is the *perfect* example of the Uncanny Valley at work because the animation subject freaked me the f*ck out. All the shaders and textures in the world can't replace really excellent animation, and that's what the Uncanny Valley is concerned with.

Oddly enough, the first game to ever jump the Uncanny Valley for me repeatedly was Mass Effect 2. There were moments that seemed photo-realistic to me. Granted most of those moments involved non-human creatures so that my brain was able to forgive the dissonance, but even in Dragon Age Inquisition they have some superb subtle animations that when you pick up on them you feel the characters "pop" and take on depth and empathy.

The Uncanny Valley will be solved with animation, not with graphical tech.

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
90. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 14:53 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 21:16:
nin wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 21:07:
We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing.

That's putting it mildly.

Glad they reversed. I have no issue with folks making quality work getting paid, but as it was implemented, it just seemed ripe for abuse. And yeah, it didn't seem very well thought out.

Maybe next time (shudder) how about just an optional donation button.

Well put.

If they do try paid mods again (and I've little doubt that they will) they should launch it with a new title. I can see that they wouldn't want the flak to affect the game's sales, and there would still be plenty of unhappiness, but pulling the rug from under existing players' feet was a dreadful idea.

I wouldn't have even been particularly opposed to them starting up with Skyrim as long as they made it start from scratch and didn't pull over existing free mods.

If mod authors wanted to put their previously free mods behind a paywall Valve could stipulate that you had to release a final free version of the mod before you could move on and any new development would be pay to play.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 19:15 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 12:53:
Flatline wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 12:38:
I think part of the big problem here is that Valve, in an effort to jumpstart the marketplace, decided to go back and move pre-existing mods behind the paywall quietly approach some modders with the idea of selling their work beforehand so they could volunteer to help have things available day one.

Fixed that for you. Rolleyes

No, Valve convinced modders to move existing, free mods behind a paywall. Sure they didn't do it against anyone's will, but they hand-picked mods to move behind the paywall to begin with. They didn't encourage any modders to create new content to be ready on day one.

So... no... you didn't fix anything.

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 12:38 Flatline

I think part of the big problem here is that Valve, in an effort to jumpstart the marketplace, decided to go back and move pre-existing mods behind the paywall.

Due to the interconnected nature of these mods, this is a terrible idea because of the clusterfuck that it creates with who has rights to what, ethics, and all the other issues we're seeing. Not to mention being incredibly dickish suddenly going from "free or donate if you'd like" to "pay up motherf*cker".

I honestly suspect that if they had done this with a new game or had started from scratch and said that only new mods could actually go behind the paywall this would have reduced problems significantly. They also need to have given mod devs time to contemplate if they want their mods used in paywall mods or not. Springing this on the public at large was a dick move to the devs not invited to the party.

Valve pretty much fucked this launch up as hard as they could and I think a large amount of pushback comes from that. If they had announced this in concurrence with Skyrim, or with the next fallout or elder scrolls game, I suspect people wouldn't have freaked.

I still don't know though how you'd make it so that outright code theft could be detected without charging though. It's one hell of a clusterfuck.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 16:02 Flatline

Orogogus wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:58:
Flatline wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:51:
ED was absolutely released too early for what is probably contractual obligations.

I don't agree. From what I can tell, the game as it stands compares very well against the previous Elite games. You very, very often hear fans of old games say that all they want is the old game with modern graphics, and this largely meets that goalpost -- the main missing features being that you can't land on planets, and there are fewer ships.

To me, at least, it makes sense to start from that basis as 1.0 and build upwards.

By that metric you're pretty spot on. But if you look at the design docs there was a lot of stuff that hasn't made it in yet that wasn't officially cut.

I'd argue it needed the Wings update at launch and a lot of complaining would have been culled.

Don't get me wrong I expect a lot of that to get implemented as long as the funding is there. But even the beta testers who had been in since alpha were considering the game a little anemic.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month
24. Re: Elite: Dangerous Powerplay Update Next Month Apr 24, 2015, 15:59 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 15:52:
Without having a scripted single player campaign I don't see this as being marketable to people on consoles. I think there are plenty of parallels that you can draw between ED and say GTA Online where you can free roam the map and either take on missions or do activities like steal cars and deliver them to a warehouse for money - the equivalent to "space trucking" in ED.

But that's only one component to the game and without a more formal scripted campaign that's the way it's going to seem to Xbox players - if it doesn't already to many PC players as well.

Powerplay is going to address that some supposedly by building a more complicated mission engine to handle better missions. That and the factions system will help create player generated stories.

They should probably do an in-universe tutorial of like 6-12 "missions" that constitute a "campaign" that teaches you the ins and outs of equipping a ship, trade, exploration, combat, etc... and then the end-game of the "campaign" is just Elite.

That being said, Elite requires you to get out and interact with the community to really get anything out of it. What it really needs is more tools to encourage that inside the game. They need the equivalent of guilds and the ability to like visit the guild home page in-game and stuff. Even for the x-box. I should be able to participate in the meta without having to open up a browser window.

2539 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo